BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 78

2012-04-17 8:11 PM
in reply to: #4156489

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED
CyborgQueen - 2012-04-17 3:57 PM
abake - 2012-04-17 10:33 AM

Back in town after a short trip down to Cancun for some fun in the sun. I am avoiding the scale for a while.

My first tri of the season is this coming Sunday. I need to get out of the vacation mindset and FOCUS!!! 

Awesome! My first tri of the season is on Saturday! While I feel good, but I'm feeling a little unprepared for this. Undertrained for the swim, and just alright with the run.    I'll be surprised if I get a PR, but I'm itching for a PR anyways. :-)    It's just to get my feet wet and motivation to keep on training.

Last hard bike tonight. It's not hard per se, but the hills are a little hard. Villa Ridge hill is 3 miles of 1000' ascent. :-) The rest of it is pretty much all downhill.  Tomorrow will be easy 1-2 miler run (and put speed laces on my shoes!), then Thursday, Golden Spoon ride, then Friday REST DAY!  I may work on my transitions on Friday. I do not like overthinking things and much rather to keep things simple, but I have to work on remembering to put my race belt on during the bike. This is the first time that I have to put the number on during T1  (Rule change, and make it easier for the official to see you).  So it'll be good practice.

Two things I miss about CA, the Saturday group ride and Golden Spoon Sunday night! Yummy!Sounds like a good plan DJ!

2012-04-17 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4156489

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Back in town after a short trip down to Cancun for some fun in the sun. I am avoiding the scale for a while.

My first tri of the season is this coming Sunday. I need to get out of the vacation mindset and FOCUS!!! 

Awesome! My first tri of the season is on Saturday! While I feel good, but I'm feeling a little unprepared for this. Undertrained for the swim, and just alright with the run.    I'll be surprised if I get a PR, but I'm itching for a PR anyways. :-)    It's just to get my feet wet and motivation to keep on training.

Last hard bike tonight. It's not hard per se, but the hills are a little hard. Villa Ridge hill is 3 miles of 1000' ascent. :-) The rest of it is pretty much all downhill.  Tomorrow will be easy 1-2 miler run (and put speed laces on my shoes!), then Thursday, Golden Spoon ride, then Friday REST DAY!  I may work on my transitions on Friday. I do not like overthinking things and much rather to keep things simple, but I have to work on remembering to put my race belt on during the bike. This is the first time that I have to put the number on during T1  (Rule change, and make it easier for the official to see you).  So it'll be good practice.

Good Luck this weekend CyborgQueen..I'm sure you will be fine..I feel the same way,my first race is next weekend and I hope to PR but in all reality with everything that has been going on I have struggle to get training in this year..Keep it simple and have loads of fun..

Edited by shake-n-bake 2012-04-17 8:26 PM
2012-04-18 3:56 AM
in reply to: #4157099

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2012-04-17 9:23 PM

Good Luck this weekend CyborgQueen..I'm sure you will be fine..I feel the same way,my first race is next weekend and I hope to PR but in all reality with everything that has been going on I have struggle to get training in this year..Keep it simple and have loads of fun..

I think you will surprise yourself Tim if you keep the early bike pace sane.  You were still pretty new to this at last years race if I recall.

2012-04-18 3:58 AM
in reply to: #4124117

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Unfortunately I am going to be off line most of the day meetings in Albany.  Going to hit the hotel treadmill in a few minutes for some run training before that though! 

I hope everyone is getting their training in the way you want!

2012-04-18 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4157391

User image

Expert
Good luck every body racing this weekend. Kneed to get myself in gear if I am ever going to race this year!
2012-04-18 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Sin City

Would you do this? :-)

Pedal to the Medal -  Mt. Potosi

Well, I am! :-)  I did this last year and it kicked my @$$!  I'm hoping that the Tuesdays Villa Ridge climbs will help me get better climbing legs. 

2012-04-18 12:43 PM
in reply to: #4158050

User image

Regular
CyborgQueen - 2012-04-18 10:18 AM

Well, I am! :-)  I did this last year and it kicked my @$$!  I'm hoping that the Tuesdays Villa Ridge climbs will help me get better climbing legs. 

Holy Moly, that looks steep.  I'm sure coming down is nice, but I'm not sure anyone would have much left to enjoy it.  I bet that last hill is rough too.  Good luck

2012-04-18 1:44 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
DJ

I'd totally do that ride! I think that graph makes it looks worse than it is. It looks to me like it's around 4000ft elevation gain total. My normal r
2012-04-18 1:51 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Sorry. iPhone had premature submission on that post!

It looks like a good challenge but nothing over the top. There are century rides out in Wisconsin that would loop that route 2x an have a couple thousand ft more elevation gain. I may do the mt Charlston climb in June. I think that one is around 4000 total. But probably less than 50 miles.

Had a pretty good run today. Short run at race pace. Spent some time about :30 under race pace too. Feeling pretty good today! I have to take my wife to the doctor but I'm hoping to get another workout in a little later
2012-04-18 2:22 PM

User image

Expert
CyborgQueen - 2012-04-18 10:18 AM

I could never haul my fat zzz up there. Good for you dj!
2012-04-18 2:26 PM
in reply to: #4158677

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Meulen - 2012-04-18 2:51 PMSorry. iPhone had premature submission on that post!

It looks like a good challenge but nothing over the top. There are century rides out in Wisconsin that would loop that route 2x an have a couple thousand ft more elevation gain. I may do the mt Charlston climb in June. I think that one is around 4000 total. But probably less than 50 miles.

Had a pretty good run today. Short run at race pace. Spent some time about :30 under race pace too. Feeling pretty good today! I have to take my wife to the doctor but I'm hoping to get another workout in a little later
I would say climbing is pretty relative. I'm stressing over 2,500 ft in the 56 miles thats fast approaching, so 4k looks like a lot to me. But i did get to ride in that Red Rock area in March (much shorter ride for me) and it is beautiful. Wouldnt want to do it in the summer though )

2012-04-18 3:55 PM

User image

Regular

I've been making a good bit of progress in the pool. 

I was ready to find someone to give me one on one lessons and had two names picked out.  I went to the pool Sunday and swam beside a guy that I could tell knew what he was talking about so I hung around him as he gave instruction to the woman (turned out to be his wife) beside him.

We started talking and he gave me a few pointers and agreed to help me again.  He is training for IMFL.

I assumed this would be a "for profit" deal, but when I brought up what he wanted to charge, he just said that he loves helping swimmers improve and enjoyed it.

Anyway, he ended up helping me a lot - I probably made more progress in an hour with a trainer than I had in the year previous.  I think I look somewhat like a swimmer now.  Most of the things he told me to do, I had read before, but it makes such a difference to have that person there to correct you as soon as you make a mistake and tell you what to focus on.

If you struggle with the swim - I highly recommend getting someone to train you (even if you have to pay for it). It's made a world of difference for me.

2012-04-19 12:10 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Good luck to those racing this weekend!  Hopefully you will all have good weather and it won't be to hot or windy.

2012-04-19 7:17 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CyborgQueen - 2012-04-18 11:18 AM

That looks like a lot of fun DJ!  Good luck!

2012-04-19 7:19 AM
in reply to: #4158677

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Meulen - 2012-04-18 2:51 PM Sorry. iPhone had premature submission on that post!

Good work with the race pace training!  That will serve you well.

2012-04-19 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4159009

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
russrisher - 2012-04-18 4:55 PM

I've been making a good bit of progress in the pool. 

I was ready to find someone to give me one on one lessons and had two names picked out.  I went to the pool Sunday and swam beside a guy that I could tell knew what he was talking about so I hung around him as he gave instruction to the woman (turned out to be his wife) beside him.

We started talking and he gave me a few pointers and agreed to help me again.  He is training for IMFL.

I assumed this would be a "for profit" deal, but when I brought up what he wanted to charge, he just said that he loves helping swimmers improve and enjoyed it.

Anyway, he ended up helping me a lot - I probably made more progress in an hour with a trainer than I had in the year previous.  I think I look somewhat like a swimmer now.  Most of the things he told me to do, I had read before, but it makes such a difference to have that person there to correct you as soon as you make a mistake and tell you what to focus on.

If you struggle with the swim - I highly recommend getting someone to train you (even if you have to pay for it). It's made a world of difference for me.

I couldn't agree more Russ!

2012-04-19 8:40 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Speaking of hilly bike races, we have this one here!

There are other choices as well that aren't quite as hilly or shorter distances and if you were to bounce around their website you will see that there is a challenge that ties to Finger Lakes Triathlon the next day.  I am registered for the tri, but have never done this ride before as weekends in September are usually full.  Thinking about doing it though this year as I am free, the tri on Sunday isn't an "A" race for me.  Plus with the IM in November it would be nice to have a supported century at that point in my training.  But, probably since my IM is flat, it would be smarter to do one of the flatter courses and use my tri bike.  But who knows, I certainly like a challenge!

Tried my first swim in over a month since the shoulder issue started, it did not respond well so wound up doing some kicking and drills to make it worth the trip and called it a morning.  Fortunately my PT also trains with me and happened to be there this morning so he gave me some more things to work on.  The HIM next month is definitely in doubt, which was more for my mother in law and wife, but it would be fun.  Fortunately I haven't registered yet. 

How is everyone else doing today? 

2012-04-19 9:05 AM
in reply to: #4160037

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
kenj - 2012-04-19 8:40 AM

Speaking of hilly bike races, we have this one here!

There are other choices as well that aren't quite as hilly or shorter distances and if you were to bounce around their website you will see that there is a challenge that ties to Finger Lakes Triathlon the next day.  I am registered for the tri, but have never done this ride before as weekends in September are usually full.  Thinking about doing it though this year as I am free, the tri on Sunday isn't an "A" race for me.  Plus with the IM in November it would be nice to have a supported century at that point in my training.  But, probably since my IM is flat, it would be smarter to do one of the flatter courses and use my tri bike.  But who knows, I certainly like a challenge!

Tried my first swim in over a month since the shoulder issue started, it did not respond well so wound up doing some kicking and drills to make it worth the trip and called it a morning.  Fortunately my PT also trains with me and happened to be there this morning so he gave me some more things to work on.  The HIM next month is definitely in doubt, which was more for my mother in law and wife, but it would be fun.  Fortunately I haven't registered yet. 

How is everyone else doing today? 

Sorry about your shoulder Ken.   Don't give up yet!  If you can get that thing better it would only take you a couple weeks to get to back where you were on your swim.  I have to do this all the time.  With my sinus issues, I tend to skip swims a lot to stay healthy enough to train.  You can get back swim fitness pretty quick compared to bike/run.

Good luck to all you racers this weekend!

2012-04-19 12:30 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi All! Well, just got back from a short cruise to Bahamas Didn't eat too much or drink too much so that is good.  Brought my workout gear but only got one run in, on the ship on the jogging track, it was so windy my DH and I ended up sprinting into the wind on one side of the lap and walking the other side. Is that what they mean by wind sprints?!? LOL - if I tried to walk into the wind it would litterally blow me back soo sprinting seemed like the better choice, but talk about getting nowhere fast!

So, on a different note (not sure if it's positive or negative at this point) my work schedule has just been drastically reduced by powers that be.  I think it's going to give me a LOT more time to train Undecided so I guess I'll look at is as a positive!

Now it is time to knuckle down and get serious about training for upcoming events, maybe even seriously consider a longer distance for fall if I can get past my running issues. Of course, first things first, have to catch up on all the posts I missed while I was on my mini-vaca!

2012-04-19 1:13 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR

Hey everyone, I need some advice or your thoughts on my upcoming trip to Las Vegas this weekend. 

First off, a little background.  Between my job being increasingly demanding, having two kids ages 3 & 1 (and the sleep issues of my 3 year-old), and a bunch of other outside of work commitments... this has been the hardest past year of my life.  I am cranky, over-worked, and exhausted. 

My dad and an old friend suggested that we meet up for a three day weekend in Las Vegas for some buffets, beers, and poker.  My wife gave me the green light and I'll be spending Saturday, Sunday, and Monday there hoping to 'recharge my batteries.'

Since adopting my new tri-lifestyle two years ago and losing 45 lbs, I try to get in at least a few training sessions even when on vacation.   And I usually try to eat 'semi-good' while away from home.

But, because I so badly need a break and will only have 72 hours to spend with my dad and buddy (who both live three states away from me), I am thinking about not training at all while on this vacation... and not worrying about what I eat or drink... at all.

This will be a stretch for me as the only time I've gone 3 consecutive days without training in the past two years was after my daughter was born and after my son's surgery.  And I have been diligently logging calories (even when going a food/drink bender) over the past few years.

But I am considering just not thinking about it at all this entire weekend. 

Thoughts?  Advice? 

2012-04-19 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4160897

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
n.k - 2012-04-19 1:13 PM

Hey everyone, I need some advice or your thoughts on my upcoming trip to Las Vegas this weekend. 

First off, a little background.  Between my job being increasingly demanding, having two kids ages 3 & 1 (and the sleep issues of my 3 year-old), and a bunch of other outside of work commitments... this has been the hardest past year of my life.  I am cranky, over-worked, and exhausted. 

My dad and an old friend suggested that we meet up for a three day weekend in Las Vegas for some buffets, beers, and poker.  My wife gave me the green light and I'll be spending Saturday, Sunday, and Monday there hoping to 'recharge my batteries.'

Since adopting my new tri-lifestyle two years ago and losing 45 lbs, I try to get in at least a few training sessions even when on vacation.   And I usually try to eat 'semi-good' while away from home.

But, because I so badly need a break and will only have 72 hours to spend with my dad and buddy (who both live three states away from me), I am thinking about not training at all while on this vacation... and not worrying about what I eat or drink... at all.

This will be a stretch for me as the only time I've gone 3 consecutive days without training in the past two years was after my daughter was born and after my son's surgery.  And I have been diligently logging calories (even when going a food/drink bender) over the past few years.

Thoughts?  Advice? 

Nole, IMO...if your not racing till June, a few days off training is certainly not going to kill you.  However, there are plenty of training opportunities in Vegas.  DJ lives there and could certainly tell you more.  I travel there at least 2x per year.  I just love it there!

My advice:  Skip the buffets!  Vegas has the best resteraunts in the world....HANDS DOWN!  If you want to train you can't beat the Venetian.  They have a pool with marked lane lines.  It's quiet there in the morning because the sun doesn't come over it till afternoon.  They also have a gym available FREE with your resort fee with weights and treadmills and spin classes.  The strip is full of runners early mornings and the fashion show mall has great stairs to do repeats on.  McGhies rents road/mtb bikes and you can book a guide from them to take you mtb'ing or on a road ride of your liking.

It's really up to you if you want to train.  If it were me, and sometimes it is! , I'd at least try to burn some of the cals your eating by doing some early morning runs on the strip or on the treadmill.

2012-04-19 3:53 PM

User image

Regular
n.k - 2012-04-19 1:13 PM

Thoughts?  Advice? 

I think you will be fine taking the days off.  3 days off won't kill you.  However, you might find that you enjoy getting out and taking a run through the city.  I've been traveling a fair amount lately and have really enjoyed finding a place to run and seeing some of the sights and people that way.

If you are an early riser and your dad/buddy are not, you may can find a time to work out and not miss any time with them.

On the food - my guess is that after 2 years of the new diet and 45 pounds; the really nasty stuff won't be appealing to you.  I think you can relax the diet and not count the calories without completely falling off the wagon.

Enjoy yourself - I have a 4 month old and know what you're going through a little bit.  I could use a good night's sleep.

2012-04-19 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4160763

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Ybeal - 2012-04-19 1:30 PM

Hi All! Well, just got back from a short cruise to Bahamas Didn't eat too much or drink too much so that is good.  Brought my workout gear but only got one run in, on the ship on the jogging track, it was so windy my DH and I ended up sprinting into the wind on one side of the lap and walking the other side. Is that what they mean by wind sprints?!? LOL - if I tried to walk into the wind it would litterally blow me back soo sprinting seemed like the better choice, but talk about getting nowhere fast!

So, on a different note (not sure if it's positive or negative at this point) my work schedule has just been drastically reduced by powers that be.  I think it's going to give me a LOT more time to train Undecided so I guess I'll look at is as a positive!

Now it is time to knuckle down and get serious about training for upcoming events, maybe even seriously consider a longer distance for fall if I can get past my running issues. Of course, first things first, have to catch up on all the posts I missed while I was on my mini-vaca!

Glad you had a good trip!  My wife and I love cruising!  On the last one I wore the garmin while at see.  I did 7 miles counting laps but the garmin showed something like 48 since the ship was moving.  The map you get on the garmin site was hilarious!

I guess enjoy the additional training time!

2012-04-19 5:16 PM

User image

Veteran
n.k - 2012-04-19 2:13 PM

Thoughts?  Advice? 

Weelllll....I would promise to do at least 15 minutes on the treadmill each morning (maybe once you're there you'll feel like going a little longer).  I would also eat/drink what you want but still use a little moderation.  For me, once I break that cycle of eating well and counting calories, it's VERY hard to get back on the wagon Embarassed

The great thing about Vegas is that you can do a LOT of walking, which to me helps justify some of those extra calories.  Make sure you bar/hotel hop and you'll get in lots of steps, you can give your dad and his buddy a workout without them realizing it! Wink Have fun and relax, I love VEGAS!

2012-04-19 8:30 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
n.k - 2012-04-19 2:13 PM

Thoughts?  Advice? 

A lot of good advice already, but I would add that life is too short to not enjoy it and every thing in moderation is fine.  A couple of days of 30 minute treadmill runs will keep your mindset right. 

Enjoy yourself!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 78