BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-01-03 6:59 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED
Got in the training today. I don't know quite what is going on, because I am really mentally struggling to get out the door. Unusual for me.

Well, regardless of my struggles, I am going to get a bike ride in tomorrow morning and then my 10 year old daughter and I are headed to Northern Michigan for a weekend of skiing. No training (well maybe I will squeeze in a run.....). That should refresh my batteries

Internet access is pretty spotty up North so I am going to leave you in Randy's capable hands for the weekend.

Happy training.

2013-01-03 7:12 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hello all-on the road all day for work. Did another short easy run this evening....fingers crossed that the calf problem will not pop back up.

Jason-I'll do my best to keep us on the straight and narrow over the weekend. Have fun on the ski trip!

Randy

2013-01-03 8:33 PM

User image

Master
Hey, guys! It's been a pretty low mileage week. Nothing but pullups and indoor soccer, so far. We have a family 5K tonight, that we're all looking forward to, but other than that, unless I have enough energy when husband gets home from drill this weekend, that's it! Today is my last day of running Christmas Break Inn, so back to normal programming next week.

2013-01-03 9:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Ok, a very odd day for me.

My wife is NOT an athlete but does keep herself in shape.  She does Tony NHorton's 10 minute trainer routines so I started my day doing that with her.  Then I took the dogs on a two mile walk.

Just before lunch I rode the six mies to my PTs office.  He has a young guy in there who is finishing up his schooling this semester.  He works with the local high schools on training for the football teams.  He put together three dfferent routines fo me: core, lower body and upper body. 

I spent 60 minutes doing the core routine and then the six mile ride back.

All in all a decent exercise day but it left me with a question.  How often do you do exercise routines like the ones I now have and do you do them in place of a SBR on any given day or in addition to?

2013-01-03 10:04 PM
in reply to: #4561154

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Stuartap - 2013-01-03 10:20 PM

Ok, a very odd day for me.

My wife is NOT an athlete but does keep herself in shape.  She does Tony NHorton's 10 minute trainer routines so I started my day doing that with her.  Then I took the dogs on a two mile walk.

Just before lunch I rode the six mies to my PTs office.  He has a young guy in there who is finishing up his schooling this semester.  He works with the local high schools on training for the football teams.  He put together three dfferent routines fo me: core, lower body and upper body. 

I spent 60 minutes doing the core routine and then the six mile ride back.

All in all a decent exercise day but it left me with a question.  How often do you do exercise routines like the ones I now have and do you do them in place of a SBR on any given day or in addition to?

For me, sbr is all I do. I enjoy other activities, but I never schedule them or really count them toward my workout totals unless they take up a lot of time. I probably should weight train, but I really hate it, so I don't.
2013-01-04 4:04 AM

User image

Expert

I'm the same as Jamie.  SBR is essentially all I do too.  Although this year I have made a commitment to integrating core strength into my training.  I don't do any weight lifting. 

Off to the pool I go.  I skipped my run last night as I have been feeling a bit sickly. I have been caring for lots of Influenza patients in the hospital.  Hope it's nothing big for me, just a little congestion.  I really hate missing a workout.  I left for work at 7 am and did not get home till after 930 pm last night.  OK, enough excuses!!!

2013-01-04 5:54 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

No core/weights for me either. Really don't have the time with s/b/r schedule. I do afew minutes of trigger point/foam rolling in the morning and evening. I think there is value to core work but ultimately, for me, it becomes a balance of what I can find time for.

Jim-hope you feel better. You are a stud to be getting up for a swim so early after a tough day. I really struggle with swimming early and rearely do it.

Randy 

2013-01-04 6:08 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Good morning my fellow triathletes!  (boy that sounds weird)

Got up and did my HR MLSS test today.  Heart rate was slower than I anticipated.  Oh well it's been a long time since I've done any HR training so Monday we start.

I used to do a lot of core/weight training but since my stress fracture I've been in the pool or on the bike exclusively.  I'm going to try to work a day back in my schedule - probably Fridays.

Oh and my new book came last night.  I read a little bit of it and I think it's gonna be great!  I can't wait to get started full course next week with bike and swim training plans.

Well I'm off to get ready for work!

Enjoy your Friday and your weekends.  I'll likely be off the grid until Sunday as we are going skiing too.  

2013-01-04 6:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

I try to do some yoga once a week but otherwise just S,B,R.

I still can't stand up straight today. My back hasn't been this bad in a long time. So frustrating when I was just getting into a groove with my workouts. Maybe more core work wouldn't hurt.

2013-01-04 7:42 AM

User image

Master

I'm a proud mama today. We did a family 5K and both my littlest were impressive. My 11 year old son apparently attacked a pretty gnarly hill early on in the run and continued to finish without walking at all. My 6 year old girl do the entire run, gnarly hill included, without having to climb on my back AND she had an awesome time. We talked and talked. We imitated animals and family members running. It was a grand time.

2013-01-04 7:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Blanda - That is awesome and I know how it feels. When my 7 year old completed her first kids triathlon I couldn't stop grinning. I think I was laughing all day. We did a 1 mile fun run on Thanksgiving just before my 10k and both of my girls finished without stopping. I love getting the kids involved. Keep on doing what you are doing and they will hopefully thank you for it one day. 

Most of my weekly activity is also SBR but I do mix it up quite a bit. In addition to SBR I try to play racquetball twice a week, TRX Strength training which hopefully will help with slimming down and I am active as TKD instructor and active TKD student. I don't really log all of these activities but I will start with the new year. 

2013-01-04 8:05 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Blanda-hard to beat those types of family moments/memories. Sounds like they take after their Momma!

Randy

2013-01-04 8:29 AM
in reply to: #4561395

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
mtnbikerchk - 2013-01-04 6:08 AM

Good morning my fellow triathletes!  (boy that sounds weird)

Got up and did my HR MLSS test today.  Heart rate was slower than I anticipated.  Oh well it's been a long time since I've done any HR training so Monday we start.

driving to work today I had an epiphany that I am indeed a .  I had the HRM running during warmup and cooldown - that's why my rate was lower than expected.  DURHHHHHHHH

LOL

2013-01-04 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4561487

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

When I first started, I incorporated strength training in, but found that it was easier just to SBR. One day I'll put it back in, but not today!

Jim, hope you feel better soon and that you haven't caught the flu. I live with a Hospitalist and she brings home some awesome bugs for my immune system to practice on

Finished my 2nd Masters Swim practice this morning. Those workouts are killer! I'm glad I'm doing them though! I feel cool swimming with the big kids

Happy Friday everyone!!!

2013-01-04 8:43 AM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Being a climber, I need to have good overall strength in order to stay on the wall. It has been a challenge to keep up climbing and SBR. Will likely need to drop something after my ice climb this month. Core strength is important for all sports, however.
2013-01-04 12:12 PM
in reply to: #4561487

User image

Calgary, AB

Blanda -- what fun!  If you don't mind my asking -- do the kids have any prior run training?  How fast did you guys run?  Particularly the 6 year old -- a 5K seems quite ambitious (thinking of my own 6 year old here!)

We signed our kids up for a "kids marathon" in May -- you do 1K run at home for 41 days, and then the last 1.2K is done as an event (same day as the Calgary Marathon)  So they do the distance (over time) and still get the race feel.  Should be a blast!

Scott.

2013-01-04 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran

Well, I'm finally really getting at my training for the year.

Wednesday i got 2100 yards in at the pool

Thursday was back to the spin class I love 60 minutes of pure he**.  Climbing hard, a little bit of sprinting and back to more climbing.  It's taught by a triathlete with a great bike background.  

Today, Just finished a 6 mile run.  Whew!  I'll be continuing through the weekend.  I really need to set up a workout plan now.  I've got 12 weeks till Oceanside 70.3.  Next weekend is a super flat 13.1.  I'm not really ready for it, so I'll just treat it as an long slow run with lots of aid support. 

Oh, and I have to go back to work on Monday... Frown

2013-01-04 1:47 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hello all-looks like lots of solid training happening heading into the weekend. Good work everyone!

I had limited time at lunch so had to cut my swim workout short. Main set was 12X100 leaving on 1:45. Last year this time I would have struggled to make it through the set and the 100's would likely have been in the 1:36-37 range. Today, on what felt like a moderate effort, most of the 100's were 1:30 with one or two at 1:31-32.  No problem doing the 12 reps...other than limited time. So, while that is still not fast for a real swimmer, its good to see improvement. What sucks is how much time and work you have to put into swimming to see improvement

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Randy 

2013-01-04 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Checking in via iphone. Will try to catch up with everyone when we get back home. Having a great time in CO. Swam outside this morning when it was 18. Pool is a heated salt water pool. It wasn't even cold running back to locker room in a towel. I love it up here. Trying to talk hubby into moving up here. Lots of room for improvement on the swim to be made. Back to basics for a while. It looks like I may be living in the water for a while. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
2013-01-04 3:04 PM

User image

Master

I do enjoy it when I can do stuff with the kids. Neither of them will be my Messi or Mia Hamm (who my daughter is named after) because it doesn't seem to be their thing, but they do enjoy running around outside with me!

Scott: My son ran with his aunt up ahead and she said they finished in 38 minutes. My girl and I ran/walked (and got distracted by stuff in the ocean) in 58 minutes.

All three of my kids ran/walked their first kid's run at 5, which are 1.5 miles long. It just kind of happens when they outgrow the baby jogger. They get out and run a bit, then hop back in, so I start signing us up for runs that include 2k's for the kids. My littlest is the 1st to walk/run a 5K on her own so young.

I think doing the family hashes every month last year built up her confidence. They're usually 1.5-2 miles long on trails, so a lot of fun. Normally when she gets tired, I throw her on my back to rest for a few minutes. She is also the only one that's actually told me "I'm not a soccer player, I'm a runner because I run really fast at recess", lol! So, actually wanting to do it got her through it too. When she saw the finish in sight she stopped her jibber jabbering and said "Hey, I just did a 5K!". She was very impressed with herself.

This is how she looked the whole time (well, except when the mosquito bit her):

Edited by Blanda 2013-01-04 3:05 PM
2013-01-04 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Going back looking at my training logs from last January and I'm missing the warm winter we had in 2012. Cold temps have keep me in the gym this week.

Next week is forcasted to hit 60 so maybe I can get a ride in.

I hate cold weather.

2013-01-04 7:52 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Blanda-soccer players make great distance runners!

Anyone have big plans for the weekend?

Countdown to National Championship game is underway! Didn't grow up in Alabama but now that my son is at the University I have to say ROLL TIDE!

Randy

2013-01-04 8:16 PM

User image

New user
Blanda, that is a great picture! Cute smile and I love the socks! Sounds like a lot of family fun.
2013-01-04 8:21 PM

User image

New user
Well I have almost completed week one of the 22 week sprint program I just started. 3 mile walk tomorrow finishes it up.
I had a Great week doing it. Swam 300 y tonight but only 100 y of freestyle, sort of! The Y has swim lessons so I will set that up soon. Still walking, add some jogging in week three.

Navigating all the stuff I need at the gym for which days has been a challenge but a good challenge! Fun week!
2013-01-04 9:11 PM
in reply to: #4562565

User image

Calgary, AB
Blanda - 2013-01-04 2:04 PM

I do enjoy it when I can do stuff with the kids. Neither of them will be my Messi or Mia Hamm (who my daughter is named after) because it doesn't seem to be their thing, but they do enjoy running around outside with me!

Scott: My son ran with his aunt up ahead and she said they finished in 38 minutes. My girl and I ran/walked (and got distracted by stuff in the ocean) in 58 minutes.

All three of my kids ran/walked their first kid's run at 5, which are 1.5 miles long. It just kind of happens when they outgrow the baby jogger. They get out and run a bit, then hop back in, so I start signing us up for runs that include 2k's for the kids. My littlest is the 1st to walk/run a 5K on her own so young.

I think doing the family hashes every month last year built up her confidence. They're usually 1.5-2 miles long on trails, so a lot of fun. Normally when she gets tired, I throw her on my back to rest for a few minutes. She is also the only one that's actually told me "I'm not a soccer player, I'm a runner because I run really fast at recess", lol! So, actually wanting to do it got her through it too. When she saw the finish in sight she stopped her jibber jabbering and said "Hey, I just did a 5K!". She was very impressed with herself.

This is how she looked the whole time (well, except when the mosquito bit her):

Dear Lord, my daughter would go absolutely bonkers for those socks.  Smile

Thanks for the details!  Great to get them all so involved at a young age -- they should be proud (and you too!)

Scott.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66