BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-01-01 9:36 PM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed
Hey guys. This is one of my favorite motivational pieces. It comes from the sport of bodybuilding, but I still really like it. I like to read it every year around this time.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny_g...

2013-01-01 11:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Need to know if any of you have/had this problem.  Every night I feel like I haven't eaten in forever.  It doesn't matter if I eat dinner early or late.  Any ideas how to get past this?  It's killing my whole day and undoing all the positive.  It's not like I am craving sweets or something special it's just any food.  
2013-01-02 6:04 AM
in reply to: #4557187

User image

Expert

Burd - 2013-01-01 11:16 PM Need to know if any of you have/had this problem.  Every night I feel like I haven't eaten in forever.  It doesn't matter if I eat dinner early or late.  Any ideas how to get past this?  It's killing my whole day and undoing all the positive.  It's not like I am craving sweets or something special it's just any food.  

Morning Alex - I too get hungry in the PM and it's one of my biggest fights in the battle to keep the weight off... 3 suggestions: 1) Keep track of your daily calories - you may not be eating enough - especially with all the awesome running you've been doingLaughing. 2) Take a close look at the amount of protein and fiber in your diet.  Increasing the amount of food you eat that are high in these areas will help keep you feeling full longer. 3) See if there are any triggers - for me, I get hungry when I sit on the couch watching TV at night.  That was where I used to do my major snacking/binge eating.  To fight this - I always have a bowl of slow churned ice cream about 120 calories) about an hour before bed time as a reward for not stuffing my face and so I don't feel deprived.

Any other thoughts?

2013-01-02 7:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Burd - 2013-01-01 11:16 PM Need to know if any of you have/had this problem.  Every night I feel like I haven't eaten in forever.  It doesn't matter if I eat dinner early or late.  Any ideas how to get past this?  It's killing my whole day and undoing all the positive.  It's not like I am craving sweets or something special it's just any food.  

One thing I struggle with is to tell the difference between "hungry" and "empty stomach."  

Also, depending when you work out, glycogen depletion may be causing you feel very hungry.  For example, I used to have breakfast before my morning workout, and then I would get to my office and I was absolutely ravenous.  Now, I have a greek yogurt before I leave, and then have some instant oatmeal when I get to the office - which eliminates the ravenous feeling caused by glycogen depletion.

I will also echo DQ - log your calories.  The single biggest change is to do that.  Protein and fiber are also very important, but if you aren't logging your food, then you can't tell what you did.  It would be like saying, "oh, I went for a run yesterday," and you don't know if that run was a marathon at a 7:50 pace or a 10min walk around the block with the dog.  

I use myfitnesspal to log my food; my journal is at the bottom.  I log it all, and it's as honest as I can make it.  

Also, please don't judge me from yesterday - I am currently on vacation in Southern Illinois, so the five Blue Moons I had were the best of the choices I had available

-Charles

2013-01-02 8:11 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Burd - 2013-01-01 10:16 PM

Need to know if any of you have/had this problem.  Every night I feel like I haven't eaten in forever.  It doesn't matter if I eat dinner early or late.  Any ideas how to get past this?  It's killing my whole day and undoing all the positive.  It's not like I am craving sweets or something special it's just any food.  

I have a number of tricks I have used.

Sometimes I make the deal, if I do 30 min of yoga I can eat.

Carrots and Celery are always good. An apple or pear won't kill you either.

Green tea is wonderful. Especially with loose tea.

Some people get off on visuals, like if you can imagine a big fat guy and what he be doing at 8:30 on a Wednesday night. If he be eating a bowl a chips and you be eating a bowl of chips well, then, you just might be that big fat guy.

If beer is the problem, and when isn't it right? Then, I mean, you gotta be thinking, have I given up for the day. If I drink this beer I have given up. I have accomplished all I wanted to accomplish. Time to have a beer and watch read the paper or whatever. It is not bad to give up, but when you have that beer, it is over right. Think of that when you pull out your next ice cold perspiring can.

Added that, you got to keep moving. If you are busy, if you have stuff to do, then you aren't going to be eating. But that is a tough game to play, because that adds stress and then you want to eat.

Think I will work on these things in the coming days too. Thanks for the reminder.
2013-01-02 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4557068

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-01-01 8:04 PM
DBrew99 - 2013-01-01 9:29 AM

Agreed -- I don't know what I find more inspiring, the long distances, frigid temperatures, or really fine brews.

Happy new year, everyone.  Alas, I had to behave myself a bit last night as I am conducting Beethoven 9 this afternoon, but rest assured I will be coming home to celebrate with one (or more) of these bad boys.  A very tasty beverage -- too bad they are still hard to find outside of the Green Mountain State. 

Prost!

Rock Art Ridge Runner Barley Wine

Dan

Dan - Love the Rock Art Ridge Runner... It's a barley wine without the maltiness...  A superb beer!

Beethoven's 9th huh?  How cool is that!  Love that piece of music!  A strange - non triathlon question - do you know of a good website where I can learn more about that symphony and other famous pieces of music.  I like classical and would love to learn more about the music itself.  Any suggestions?

My fave is vivaldi four seasons, even listen to it while working out!

2013-01-02 8:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Burd - 2013-01-01 10:16 PM Need to know if any of you have/had this problem.  Every night I feel like I haven't eaten in forever.  It doesn't matter if I eat dinner early or late.  Any ideas how to get past this?  It's killing my whole day and undoing all the positive.  It's not like I am craving sweets or something special it's just any food.  
air popped popcorn with a bit of butter for a low cal snack.

Banana whip for a low cal healthy desert. 

this is assuming you are eating enough...track those calories!

2013-01-02 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4557074

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-01-01 8:10 PM
kevinbe - 2013-01-01 12:18 PM
DBrew99 - 2013-01-01 7:29 AM

Agreed -- I don't know what I find more inspiring, the long distances, frigid temperatures, or really fine brews.

Happy new year, everyone.  Alas, I had to behave myself a bit last night as I am conducting Beethoven 9 this afternoon, but rest assured I will be coming home to celebrate with one (or more) of these bad boys.  A very tasty beverage -- too bad they are still hard to find outside of the Green Mountain State. 

Prost!

Dan

That looks heavenly.  My resolution this year is to drink good beer like that.  quality vs. quantity.  I've been drinking alot of good beers, but in quantity and it's been hurting my other more mainstreamed passions.

Goal for 2013 is to buy those awesome 22 oz. "top shelf" beers that I've always passed up for the on sale 6 pk. of decent beer.  Limiting myself to 2 22's a week of stuff like that.  My goal this week or next is to find a good barleywine like that, and a great imperial IPA.

Question for the group.  with my new goal in mind, I've had 8 12 oz. ipa's on my fridge shelf for a week or so.  what to do with those?  Maybe I should shelf them for when I have a get together, or save them for a fishing trip?  Does anyone else have a good motivational idea?

Kevin - Love the goal of making each ounce count.  My suggestion for those 8 22's is to make them goal beers.  Set 8 small goals - ones you can accomplish in a week and for each goal achieved - you get to enjoy a bottle.  Or you could make them PR rewards.  Write down your Pr's for a 5k, a half mile swim and a 10 mile bike ride.  Everytime you improve your time, you get a beer.  Even better, if you don't improve your time or accomplish your goal - pay it forward and give them away to friends.

Kevin, I think I mentioned it before but put those beer the cupboard...take a couple out when you are going to have a couple and cool them off. gets rid of that grab one cuz they are there or drink 4 when 2 would be good enough!

2013-01-02 10:07 AM

User image

Regular
Bearspaw, Alberta

Burd - 2013-01-01 10:16 PM Need to know if any of you have/had this problem.  Every night I feel like I haven't eaten in forever.  It doesn't matter if I eat dinner early or late.  Any ideas how to get past this?  It's killing my whole day and undoing all the positive.  It's not like I am craving sweets or something special it's just any food.  

I think everyone has given some excellent advice and I agree with all of that.  I'd like to toss on looking into 'power balls.'  They are basically seed balls that can really control hunger.  There are lots of recipes so you just need to find one that works for your tastes and make sure it isn't too many calories.

I have the same problem and mostly it's me just feeling that it's been a long time since dinner and I should eat.  I have been trying to have a large glass of water and then see if I'm still feeling hungry.  Normally, that's enough to make me feel filled up enough that I'll avoid snacking.

2013-01-02 11:53 AM

New user

Great tips on diet.  Tracking on Myfitnesspal has helped me too.

On the music note: (yes, that was intentional)  I can't hear Vivaldi's Spring and not hear this:

http://www.beethovenswig.com/index.php?page=songs&category=Beethoven-squo-s_Wig,_Vol._2-col-_More_Sing-Along_Symphonies&display=21 

It is a great album for little ones.

2013-01-02 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico

Ok so after 4 days of slacking, it is time for me to get back on track.  It is very hard spending time at Mom's house and not eating all of the great things she cooked.  This didn't help especially when combined with the inactivity.  Had a great visit though and really enjoyed spending time with family.  Oh well, time to get serious and get back at it.  I have 74 days to prepare for the longest hike I have ever taken and as a motivator, I am not going to drink alcohol until I lose twenty pounds or finish the Bataan, whichever comes first. 

Goals for the week (late i know)

• Wed - 30 minute jog
  • Thurs - Brick
  • Fri - 50 minute jog
  • Sat - rest (working 24 hr shift hard to get in a workout)
  • Sun - 15 mile bike
  • log everything I eat and stick to diet plan

2013-01-02 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Finally, back in the saddle! Hit the cycle trainer hard for 35minutes. Now off to take the kids skating outside!
2013-01-02 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4557465

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
BigDH - 2013-01-01 9:11 AM

Some people get off on visuals, like if you can imagine a big fat guy and what he be doing at 8:30 on a Wednesday night. If he be eating a bowl a chips and you be eating a bowl of chips well, then, you just might be that big fat guy.

If beer is the problem, and when isn't it right? Then, I mean, you gotta be thinking, have I given up for the day. If I drink this beer I have given up. I have accomplished all I wanted to accomplish. Time to have a beer and watch read the paper or whatever. It is not bad to give up, but when you have that beer, it is over right. Think of that when you pull out your next ice cold perspiring can.

Added that, you got to keep moving. If you are busy, if you have stuff to do, then you aren't going to be eating. But that is a tough game to play, because that adds stress and then you want to eat.

Think I will work on these things in the coming days too. Thanks for the reminder.

Have you considered a career as a life coach/personel trainer? .... because you should!

fat guy eating chips.....yeah that's me.... or I mean that was me hopefully!
2013-01-02 2:25 PM
in reply to: #4558141

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

justinfss - 2013-01-02 12:02 PM
I have a number of tricks I have used. Sometimes I make the deal, if I do 30 min of yoga I can eat. Carrots and Celery are always good. An apple or pear won't kill you either. Green tea is wonderful. Especially with loose tea. Some people get off on visuals, like if you can imagine a big fat guy and what he be doing at 8:30 on a Wednesday night. If he be eating a bowl a chips and you be eating a bowl of chips well, then, you just might be that big fat guy. If beer is the problem, and when isn't it right? Then, I mean, you gotta be thinking, have I given up for the day. If I drink this beer I have given up. I have accomplished all I wanted to accomplish. Time to have a beer and watch read the paper or whatever. It is not bad to give up, but when you have that beer, it is over right. Think of that when you pull out your next ice cold perspiring can. Added that, you got to keep moving. If you are busy, if you have stuff to do, then you aren't going to be eating. But that is a tough game to play, because that adds stress and then you want to eat. Think I will work on these things in the coming days too. Thanks for the reminder.
Have you considered a career as a life coach/personel trainer? .... because you should! fat guy eating chips.....yeah that's me.... or I mean that was me hopefully!

Big boned, husky, heavy build...Laughing

2013-01-02 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4558141

User image

Champion
Calgary
justinfss - 2013-01-02 12:02 PM

Have you considered a career as a life coach/personel trainer? .... because you should!

fat guy eating chips.....yeah that's me.... or I mean that was me hopefully!

sometimes those visuals work. I remember reading a Mens Health book a number of years ago. It was all the rage. About how to look good naked when you are too busy to look good naked. All about 6 meals a day, 15-45 minute high intensity workouts. But the thing I took out of it the most is the imagery people used. Like buddy would say, "is it easy to eat like I do, he77 no, I am hungry all the time, but when I am hungry I go down to the cafeteria, and I get myself a salad and a diet coke and a power bar and I sit there and watching all the porkies stuff their faces. So no, it is not easy, but how do I do it? I watch you eat." I may paraphrase but you know, stuff like that.

I don't know, sometimes it works for me, sometimes it doesn't.

What also works for me is that one day last year I had a perfect eating day. Completely by chance. But it was perfect. I ate the perfect amount. It was healthy. It was tasty. It wasn't too much. So I know what I need to eat and what I want to eat really are so out of whack it is wild.

Like there is this book by Chris Carmichael's Food For Fitness: Eat Right to Train Right. In it he has the diets of triathletes. Like pro triathletes working out 3 hours a day. At least I think it is that book. Anyways, I eat 2 times as much as those poor buggers every day. They eat nothing. Everyone thinks athletes are all like Phelps, swallowing whole pizzas and subs in between cases of coke, but that ain't true.
2013-01-02 4:07 PM
in reply to: #4557994

User image

Expert
jlangene - 2013-01-02 11:55 AM

Ok so after 4 days of slacking, it is time for me to get back on track.  It is very hard spending time at Mom's house and not eating all of the great things she cooked.  This didn't help especially when combined with the inactivity.  Had a great visit though and really enjoyed spending time with family.  Oh well, time to get serious and get back at it.  I have 74 days to prepare for the longest hike I have ever taken and as a motivator, I am not going to drink alcohol until I lose twenty pounds or finish the Bataan, whichever comes first. 

• Wed - 30 minute jog
  • Thurs - Brick
  • Fri - 50 minute jog
  • Sun - 15 mile bike

Jared - I love how hard core you are!  Your plan for the week is just what you need to get back on track.  Hell - we would all benefit from that workout.

I hear what you are saying about beer and not having any until you lose 20 pounds.  If you can stick to such a plan - then more power to you.  I however am not that strong. For me - it's all about sustainability.  I can't sustain not drinking for the time it would take to lose 20 pounds.  You may want to change the way you look at beer.  Thor and kevin have talked about controllng their consumption by ony putting 1 or two beers in the fridge at a time and using those cold ones as motivation for accomplishing your goals - liker getting ready for the Death March (what a cool name for a race.)  Having said that - I encourage you to find what works for you.  And finally - let us know how we can support you!

2013-01-02 4:13 PM

User image

Expert

Hey everyone - The new issue of Triathlete Magazine landed in my mail box today.  This months issue contains a cool beginner's guide that answers a lot of good questions.  If you haven't checked that magazine out - I would say its worth a look.  I use it as a way of motivting myself  for a week - I can only read it if I get my workout in and if I stick to my calories for the day.

Hope y'all got in a good workout today.

2013-01-02 4:55 PM
in reply to: #4558609

User image

Regular
Bearspaw, Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-01-02 3:07 PM 

I hear what you are saying about beer and not having any until you lose 20 pounds.  If you can stick to such a plan - then more power to you.  I however am not that strong. For me - it's all about sustainability.  I can't sustain not drinking for the time it would take to lose 20 pounds.  You may want to change the way you look at beer.  Thor and kevin have talked about controllng their consumption by ony putting 1 or two beers in the fridge at a time and using those cold ones as motivation for accomplishing your goals - liker getting ready for the Death March (what a cool name for a race.)  Having said that - I encourage you to find what works for you.  And finally - let us know how we can support you!

I like that a lot.  I have all of mine in the fridge but it's in the basement near the workout room.  If I finish a workout, I can bring one upstairs.  I may have it right away or I may wait until later but it's my little reward.  Having said that, I have banned myself from wine for the month so I can make sure to hit my weight-loss goals.

2013-01-02 6:21 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Well, I just bought my swim pass and am looking on getting jostled around in the mass of resolution swimmers tomorrow morning. I never can wake up in time but I am hoping that Ill get my lazy out of bed.

I am excited to hit the lanes again though.... Swimming is the one discipline where my excess mass doesn't really effect me. I know that it does actually, but it feels so good to be just sailing through the water....

2013-01-02 7:11 PM
in reply to: #4558609

User image

Veteran
New Mexico

• Wed - 30 minute jog
  • Thurs - Brick
  • Fri - 50 minute jog
  • Sun - 15 mile bike

Jared - I love how hard core you are!  Your plan for the week is just what you need to get back on track.  Hell - we would all benefit from that workout.

Dave, thanks for the encouragement, but I hardly consider myself "hard core" ha ha I think that title belongs to Darren!  One question that I do have is during my jogs I have read that I should keep my HR in my target zone and not over do it.  According to the calculators I have seen this means I probably shouldn't let my HR get over around 160.  Most of the time when I am jogging however, my HR stays up around 150-170.  How much attention should I pay to HR when training?  Is it ok to finish my jog intervals even though my HR is above the target, or should I slow down and walk to keep it in the appropriate zone?  

Thanks!

2013-01-02 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4558890

User image

Expert
jlangene - 2013-01-02 7:11 PM

• Wed - 30 minute jog
  • Thurs - Brick
  • Fri - 50 minute jog
  • Sun - 15 mile bike

Dave, thanks for the encouragement, but I hardly consider myself "hard core" ha ha I think that title belongs to Darren!  One question that I do have is during my jogs I have read that I should keep my HR in my target zone and not over do it.  According to the calculators I have seen this means I probably shouldn't let my HR get over around 160.  Most of the time when I am jogging however, my HR stays up around 150-170.  How much attention should I pay to HR when training?  Is it ok to finish my jog intervals even though my HR is above the target, or should I slow down and walk to keep it in the appropriate zone?  

Thanks!

First - Don't short change yourself about being hardcore.  You may not think of yourself that way now but I've got to think that your perspective might change as you push yourself over the course of the season.  

Heart rates and target zones aren't a perfect science.  They are meant to try to get people to follow the specific aspects of a training plan.  Nice and easy one day, harder the next, etc.  Just as a point of reference, my HR is between 155-165 during my speed workouts).  

I wouldn't be as concerned about your heart rate as with your perceived level of exertion.  Right now, you are increasing your distance each week.  Doing so will take a toll on your body.  So, for the first couple months of training, take it easy and don't push it.  I always told my CC runners that they should be able to say a complete sentence and maybe even a couple of words of the next before you need to take a breath.  Later in the year, you can incorporate speed work.  

What does everyone else think?

2013-01-02 8:32 PM
in reply to: #4557501

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
thor67 - 2013-01-02 6:30 AM
Qua17 - 2013-01-01 8:10 PM
kevinbe - 2013-01-01 12:18 PM
DBrew99 - 2013-01-01 7:29 AM

Prost!

Dan

That looks heavenly.  My resolution this year is to drink good beer like that.  quality vs. quantity.  I've been drinking alot of good beers, but in quantity and it's been hurting my other more mainstreamed passions.

Goal for 2013 is to buy those awesome 22 oz. "top shelf" beers that I've always passed up for the on sale 6 pk. of decent beer.  Limiting myself to 2 22's a week of stuff like that.  My goal this week or next is to find a good barleywine like that, and a great imperial IPA.

Question for the group.  with my new goal in mind, I've had 8 12 oz. ipa's on my fridge shelf for a week or so.  what to do with those?  Maybe I should shelf them for when I have a get together, or save them for a fishing trip?  Does anyone else have a good motivational idea?

Kevin - Love the goal of making each ounce count.  My suggestion for those 8 22's is to make them goal beers.  Set 8 small goals - ones you can accomplish in a week and for each goal achieved - you get to enjoy a bottle.  Or you could make them PR rewards.  Write down your Pr's for a 5k, a half mile swim and a 10 mile bike ride.  Everytime you improve your time, you get a beer.  Even better, if you don't improve your time or accomplish your goal - pay it forward and give them away to friends.

Kevin, I think I mentioned it before but put those beer the cupboard...take a couple out when you are going to have a couple and cool them off. gets rid of that grab one cuz they are there or drink 4 when 2 would be good enough!

Indeed you did Thor.  a great suggestion indeed.  I'm still happy to report there are still 8 12oz. bottles in my fridge today.  I really overdid it on the fishing trip, and really haven't had a desire to imbibe since.  I was just thinking about pulling them out and puting them on the shelf to collect dust today, and I still might, but that may be another topic for another time.

Edited by kevinbe 2013-01-02 8:32 PM
2013-01-02 8:40 PM
in reply to: #4558136

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

thor67 - 2013-01-02 10:58 AM Finally, back in the saddle! Hit the cycle trainer hard for 35minutes. Now off to take the kids skating outside!

He's baacckk!!!...  He's backkk in the saddle again...  He's bacckk!!!

Your post made me think Aerosmith. 

2013-01-02 8:54 PM
in reply to: #4558937

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Qua17 - 2013-01-02 5:48 PM
jlangene - 2013-01-02 7:11 PM

• Wed - 30 minute jog
  • Thurs - Brick
  • Fri - 50 minute jog
  • Sun - 15 mile bike

Thanks!

First - Don't short change yourself about being hardcore.  You may not think of yourself that way now but I've got to think that your perspective might change as you push yourself over the course of the season.  

Heart rates and target zones aren't a perfect science.  They are meant to try to get people to follow the specific aspects of a training plan.  Nice and easy one day, harder the next, etc.  Just as a point of reference, my HR is between 155-165 during my speed workouts).  

I wouldn't be as concerned about your heart rate as with your perceived level of exertion.  Right now, you are increasing your distance each week.  Doing so will take a toll on your body.  So, for the first couple months of training, take it easy and don't push it.  I always told my CC runners that they should be able to say a complete sentence and maybe even a couple of words of the next before you need to take a breath.  Later in the year, you can incorporate speed work.  

What does everyone else think?

That's a great question that I don't care to answer for myself personally.  I usually just go.  Most days I'm dog A tired and sore, and manage to tredge through "another" workout knowing in the back of my head that I'm no where near meeting my goal times, and even wondering if my tired A is getting anything from this sorry workout.  But there are those rare days where I can say with a gleam in the eye like tom hanks in forest gump, "I can run like the wind blows."  and on those days I wonder if my heart is going to explode right out of my chest.  Those are the days where it's all worth it.

I always wondered where my hr was at and also have heard many talk about how the old formula for calculating target heart rate may be flawed, or just a good general guide at best, and wonder how much of that is even true?  There are an awful lot of successful training plans that are geared towards heart rate, and you can't beat results.  but if it's me, and I'm aproaching 155 beats, and I got a hill in front of me, am I taking it off the gas?  He77 no!  I'm gonna climb that mountain!

2013-01-02 9:12 PM
in reply to: #4558136

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa

thor67 - 2013-01-02 1:58 PM Finally, back in the saddle! Hit the cycle trainer hard for 35minutes. Now off to take the kids skating outside!

You rock! Great job.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97