of 48

2013-03-22 2:21 PM
in reply to: #4670648

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: 'The' Gun Thread
Aarondb4 - 2013-03-22 1:51 PM

Glocks are funny that way, seem to be a love it or hate it kinda gun. 

Friends don't let friends buy glocks...

Glocks are good guns, and there's no question they work well.  I personally never liked the looks of them, and more importantly I've always hated the trigger only safety.  Probably the biggest reason I am such a Springfield fanboy is because of the grip safety in addition to the trigger safety.

2013-03-22 2:35 PM
in reply to: #4670689

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
tuwood - 2013-03-22 1:14 PM
Aarondb4 - 2013-03-22 1:44 PM

If anyone is in need of ammo check out gunbot.net.

Keeps a running list of places and prices that currently have ammo in stock. Easier than manually shopping around. 

DUDE, YOU'RE MY HERO!!!!

I've been trying to find Hornady TAP .223 for a couple months now and it was the first one on the list.  I just picked up 5 boxes. 

Haha glad I could help. Mostly that site depresses me. The prices are outright ridiculous! $.30 a round for .22. Over $1 a round for anything .223.

I know it'll come down eventually but there isn't going to be much "shooting for fun" this summer until the prices start falling. Luckily I have been able to find decent priced 7.62x39 so my SKS bullpup is getting some use. But I haven't shot the AR in months, not gonna pay 30-06 prices to shoot the AR.

2013-03-22 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4670751

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Aarondb4 - 2013-03-22 2:35 PM

Keeps a running list of places and prices that currently have ammo in stock. Easier than manually shopping around. 

DUDE, YOU'RE MY HERO!!!!

I've been trying to find Hornady TAP .223 for a couple months now and it was the first one on the list.  I just picked up 5 boxes. 

Haha glad I could help. Mostly that site depresses me. The prices are outright ridiculous! $.30 a round for .22. Over $1 a round for anything .223.

I know it'll come down eventually but there isn't going to be much "shooting for fun" this summer until the prices start falling. Luckily I have been able to find decent priced 7.62x39 so my SKS bullpup is getting some use. But I haven't shot the AR in months, not gonna pay 30-06 prices to shoot the AR.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I ended up grabbing 5 boxes of "Hornady TAP 223 Remington 55 Grain Urban Hornady V-Max Ammunition" for $22.99 a box.  I'm not sure what they used to go for, but I'm OK with a buck a round for home defense ammo.  I pay about that much for my Gold Dot .40 & .45 Hollow Points.

2013-03-22 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4643301

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Yeah the self defense stuff doesn't seem to be too terrible. But the plinking ammo sure is hard to get at a decent price. I finally found a local shop that had 9mm at pre-craze prices. I bought the whole shelf!

2013-03-22 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4670457

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-03-22 11:47 AM
GomesBolt - 2013-03-22 5:21 AM Before the gun control proponents try to make some insensitive and ridiculous comment about the Quantico Marine Corps Base shooting, I want to get this out there. First off, we don't know the story of what happened and until you do you can't say anything about the exact incident but live ammo is never used at OCS. The only people to have live ammo at OCS are the armorer guarding the weapons and the MP who drives through the camp every so often. I highly doubt this individual used a service rifle. But he may have used a pistol.

Gun control is never tighter than on a Military Base. When you have a reason to go to the range, field, etc. you check out your weapon from the armory and you never get live ammo issued unless you are a) on a range or b) on a specific duty assignment protecting ammo or classified material.

You also do not move weapons in a personal vehicle except when you are an officer or Staff NCO and you're going from the armory to the pistol range and back. You are only allowed to keep your personal weapon in your car when it is going from the gate or on base housing to the MWR range or hunting area. You cannot have personal weapons in the barracks.

So no, Marines are not armed all the time on the base. I saw a bunch of snap comments on the articles about this saying "if the Marines with all their weapons can't stop this then what hope do we have" or worse and I wanted to explain that in fact, there are very few armed Marines on a base stateside and almost none around basic training/OCS.

This has been a very painful week for our corps. We Marines (once and always) feel the pain when any one of us is hurt or killed as though they were our brother. I've now lost 10 brothers (corpsmen are brothers too) this week.
Sorry for your loss, and, since I guess I haven't said it in a while, thanks for your service. One can't spend any time in the company of Marines without appreciating the unique brotherhood that they share. Regarding the information about guns on military bases, I think that's really interesting. I wouldn’t have thought that to be the case. Do you know why the rules are the way they are? When I’ve been on military bases it seemed to me that there were more people carrying than that, but it may just be the ones I noticed (sentries, MP’s, etc) were the only ones.

Why is it that way?  It's an interesting question because we carry them everywhere (there's actually hooks outside the shower stall and in the port-a-johns for towel and for weapon) when we're in theater.  There are guards on critical facilities and at the gate so the first thing you see on-base is a guy with a weapon, that may make you think everyone is armed. 

The reasons are probably that you have 18-20 year olds with table of order weapons that they probably shouldn't be carrying around things they could leave around (18-20 year olds leave stuff unattended from time to time or so I'm told), they could sell them, etc.  So the counts and controls on the government's weapons are pretty tight.  

You can have a weapon in your house and in your car (if you're travelling to and from a range/hunting) but the troops in the barracks have to check it in to the armory or the rod and gun club.  That's probably because when they're not in the barracks, the weapon is unattended and you never leave a weapon unattended as a general rule.  

In short, I don't know.  In the old days (like way back), you'd have officers and Staff NCOs allowed to wear their sidearms all the time.  So that would be one way to go (highly trained and responsible individuals).  But even those guys could snap at some time. The difference would be that they're not the only people armed when they do snap (think Major Nidal Hassan who shot-up Ft Hood).

But knowing the current climate and the commander in-chief, we'll likely see vehicle and room searches and more rules about not having weapons on-base. Treat everyone like the lowest common denominator. 

2013-03-22 8:25 PM
in reply to: #4670780

tuwood - 2013-03-22 2:52 PM
Aarondb4 - 2013-03-22 2:35 PM

DUDE, YOU'RE MY HERO!!!!

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I ended up grabbing 5 boxes of "Hornady TAP 223 Remington 55 Grain Urban Hornady V-Max Ammunition" for $22.99 a box.  I'm not sure what they used to go for, but I'm OK with a buck a round for home defense ammo.  I pay about that much for my Gold Dot .40 & .45 Hollow Points.

I bought 40cal at $245/1000 just before the sandy hook shooting.  I was iffy on it as it was not what I usally shoot.  So glad I did.  The lake city 5.56 if you can find it, over a buck ka round that's crazy

2013-03-22 8:59 PM

User image

Pro
I shoot twice a week....about 100-150 rounds each time depending on shotgun, rifle, or pistol...I guess, from reading the prices here, I need to count that as part of my "benefits".
2013-03-23 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4671122

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Government Cover-up of Ammo Buys Implodes

15 Congressmen have written a letter to the DHS demanding to know why the federal agency is buying so many rounds of ammunition and whether the purchases are part of a deliberate attempt to restrict supply to the American people

Bingo!!!  Wonder how much longer until this is called Bulletgate, or Ammogate.

Then you combine it with:

DHS buys 7000 full-auto assault rifles, calls them 'personal defense weapons'
and
purchases of around 2,700 armored trucks

Where's my dam tinfoil hat... I know it's around here somewhere.

2013-03-23 12:07 PM

User image

2013-03-24 12:30 AM
in reply to: #4671464

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-03-24 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4671891

Pro
Omaha, NE

UrsusAdiposimus - 2013-03-24 12:30 AM Look at this crazy, partisan propaganda masquerading as an evidence-based study showing a strong state-by-state correlation between gun ownership per capita and gun deaths! What a ludicrous supposition - to think thay widespread ownership of something designed for the specific purpose of killing people could possibly contribute in any way to more suicides and murders. Crazy talk! I am outraged that the WP would publish something like this! http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/feature/wp/2013/03/22/gun-deaths-s...

The only statistic that really matters from that article is that you have a .0166% chance of dying from a gun via homicide and you have a .0102% chance of dying from a gun via suicide.  Considering the death rate from car accidents is around 100 per 1M or .01% which is pretty close to the suicide rate I don't see what the big news flash the article is trying to portray.

The whole injecting race into it is silly in my mind.  It has nothing to do with race, it has to do with where people live and their economic status.  If I'm a poor white dude, living in south Chicago I will have every bit as high of a chance of getting shot as a poor black dude.
Same story for living in rural America, if you're black or white, you have a far less chance of being killed by a gun.  Statistically, there are a lot more poor black people who live in dense urban areas so of course there will be a higher homicide rate.

2013-03-24 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4672208

Elite
tuwood - 2013-03-24 1:06 PM

UrsusAdiposimus - 2013-03-24 12:30 AM Look at this crazy, partisan propaganda masquerading as an evidence-based study showing a strong state-by-state correlation between gun ownership per capita and gun deaths! What a ludicrous supposition - to think thay widespread ownership of something designed for the specific purpose of killing people could possibly contribute in any way to more suicides and murders. Crazy talk! I am outraged that the WP would publish something like this! http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/feature/wp/2013/03/22/gun-deaths-s...

The only statistic that really matters from that article is that you have a .0166% chance of dying from a gun via homicide and you have a .0102% chance of dying from a gun via suicide.  Considering the death rate from car accidents is around 100 per 1M or .01% which is pretty close to the suicide rate I don't see what the big news flash the article is trying to portray.

The whole injecting race into it is silly in my mind.  It has nothing to do with race, it has to do with where people live and their economic status.  If I'm a poor white dude, living in south Chicago I will have every bit as high of a chance of getting shot as a poor black dude.
Same story for living in rural America, if you're black or white, you have a far less chance of being killed by a gun.  Statistically, there are a lot more poor black people who live in dense urban areas so of course there will be a higher homicide rate.

I'm not big on the whole gun debate because I really feel both sides make good points...but the part I bolded above Tony is probably not true.  Last time I looked at the #'s, an overwhelming majority of shootings/killings were not "minority on white"  or "white on minority."  

2013-03-24 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4672226

Pro
Omaha, NE
ChineseDemocracy - 2013-03-24 12:18 PM

I'm not big on the whole gun debate because I really feel both sides make good points...but the part I bolded above Tony is probably not true.  Last time I looked at the #'s, an overwhelming majority of shootings/killings were not "minority on white"  or "white on minority."  

I think you missed my point.  You are correct that statistically black on black are the highest rates of homicides.  However, my point was that it's not because they're black it's because they're poor and they live in dense urban areas.  Statistically there are far more blacks in this category so yes there are more black on black deaths.  But, it isn't because they're black.

2013-03-24 2:50 PM
in reply to: #4672266

Maybe what we should be limiting are the number of people who can live in a city block?

It seems less densely populated areas have less crime.

We limit how many people can be in a jacuzzi, pool, bar, restaurant.

2013-03-24 3:22 PM
in reply to: #4672353

Elite
crusevegas - 2013-03-24 3:50 PM

Maybe what we should be limiting are the number of people who can live in a city block?

It seems less densely populated areas have less crime.

We limit how many people can be in a jacuzzi, pool, bar, restaurant.

My answer for that is increased use of surveillance video cams and life imprisonment for violent offenders.

btw, Tony, I get your point and it's a good one.  

2013-03-24 4:17 PM
in reply to: #4672208

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

Why does a poor, black, dense urban area necessarily equal a higher homicide rate? A couple sentences before that, you said that it had nothing to do with race, but then you say that putting a lot of black people into a crowded area means a higher homicide rate.

Yikes.

2013-03-24 5:21 PM
in reply to: #4672440

Elite
tealeaf - 2013-03-24 5:17 PM

Why does a poor, black, dense urban area necessarily equal a higher homicide rate? A couple sentences before that, you said that it had nothing to do with race, but then you say that putting a lot of black people into a crowded area means a higher homicide rate.

Yikes.

I think what Tony's getting at is that it doesn't matter what the folks look like, if you pack a high # of folks into any densely populated area, and there is little economic opportunity, you'll have high homicide rates.  Correct me if I'm wrong Tony.

2013-03-24 5:33 PM
in reply to: #4672509

Pro
Omaha, NE
ChineseDemocracy - 2013-03-24 5:21 PM
tealeaf - 2013-03-24 5:17 PM

Yikes.

I think what Tony's getting at is that it doesn't matter what the folks look like, if you pack a high # of folks into any densely populated area, and there is little economic opportunity, you'll have high homicide rates.  Correct me if I'm wrong Tony.

100% correct.  If you flipped the races and had a high density of white folks (or any other race) into an urban area with little economic opportunity you'd still have the same homicide rates.

2013-03-24 7:35 PM

Expert
North Cackalacky

Bought myself an M1A and a Benelli Nova this weekend.

Heavy Metal 3 Gun, here I come!

2013-03-24 9:38 PM
in reply to: #4672681

Pro
Omaha, NE
ScudRunner - 2013-03-24 7:35 PM

Bought myself an M1A and a Benelli Nova this weekend.

Heavy Metal 3 Gun, here I come!

/like
2013-03-25 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4671891

Expert
Boise, ID

UrsusAdiposimus - 2013-03-23 11:30 PM Look at this crazy, partisan propaganda masquerading as an evidence-based study showing a strong state-by-state correlation between gun ownership per capita and gun deaths! What a ludicrous supposition - to think thay widespread ownership of something designed for the specific purpose of killing people could possibly contribute in any way to more suicides and murders. Crazy talk! I am outraged that the WP would publish something like this! http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/feature/wp/2013/03/22/gun-deaths-s...

Did you read the article you posted? The only correlation they attempted to show was between gun ownership and suicides. They said nothing of overall gun deaths. I thought the point of gun control was to make it impossible for people to kill each other... looks like it isn't working according to the article. 

If the point of gun control is to abolish suicide then I suppose you have to agree with Bloomberg that we should be prohibited from doing anything (soda, cigs) that might damage our health or cause us to die earlier than we would otherwise. 

2013-03-25 11:11 AM

Champion
SoCal
Just picked up a polymer AR lower for $50. Woo
2013-03-25 11:16 AM
in reply to: #4673377

Big Appa - 2013-03-25 12:11 PM

Just picked up a polymer AR lower for $50. Woo

Straight off the printer?

2013-03-25 11:18 AM
in reply to: #4673390

Champion
SoCal

DanielG - 2013-03-25 9:16 AM
Big Appa - 2013-03-25 12:11 PM Just picked up a polymer AR lower for $50. Woo

Nope this is a legal one

2013-03-25 11:26 AM
in reply to: #4673396

Big Appa - 2013-03-25 12:18 PM

DanielG - 2013-03-25 9:16 AM
Big Appa - 2013-03-25 12:11 PM Just picked up a polymer AR lower for $50. Woo

Nope this is a legal one

Well, so is that one. Just as long as no one makes more than prototypes or tries to sell them.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  

of 48