BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-01-10 1:52 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Subject: Stride Length
Happy Friday everyone! Today I notched my 10th workout this month with two PT sessions and my long run for the week.

I can't remember if I mentioned this but my PT, who I have been going to for hip pain, has suggested that I increase my stride rate. Currently, I am striding 74 stride a minute and getting it up near 180 (three times faster) will lessen the impact on my left hip. I completely trust my PT and so I am all in. But I've been for two runs now and the change isn't easy. Does anyone have any advice or do you know of a good site I can check out. I'm definately striding faster but I don't know if I am doing it right. I'm still having pain in my hip and really want to give this the old college try.

Any thoughts?

As for beers - I had a Hoponius Union by Jack's Abby Brewery. It's a IPL - they use lager yeast and store it for more than a month before they bottle keg it. You hop heads would love it.

2014-01-10 2:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Subject: RE: Stride Length
Originally posted by Qua17

Happy Friday everyone! Today I notched my 10th workout this month with two PT sessions and my long run for the week.

I can't remember if I mentioned this but my PT, who I have been going to for hip pain, has suggested that I increase my stride rate. Currently, I am striding 74 stride a minute and getting it up near 180 (three times faster) will lessen the impact on my left hip. I completely trust my PT and so I am all in. But I've been for two runs now and the change isn't easy. Does anyone have any advice or do you know of a good site I can check out. I'm definately striding faster but I don't know if I am doing it right. I'm still having pain in my hip and really want to give this the old college try.

Any thoughts?

As for beers - I had a Hoponius Union by Jack's Abby Brewery. It's a IPL - they use lager yeast and store it for more than a month before they bottle keg it. You hop heads would love it.

My team coach had us do the same thing (180 a minute). She broke it down to a 10 min warmup then 3 min of doing the high cadence then a 2 min easy recovery. Since it takes some getting used to the recovery gives your mind and body a chance to process what it just did. We repeated this 5x. If you try to do the whole run at 180 before you know how it feels it would get discouraging and tiring . She had us count with each left foot strike to make it easier to keep track. Count left strike to 100, 100, then 70 (3 minutes worth) so you don't lose track. She also said to shorten the length of the stride to get the cadence up there. It was super hard when I did the first few sets but near the end it all started to fall into place. I'll keep an eye out for a site and drop her an email to see if she can point us in the right direction.

Edited by Burd 2014-01-10 2:19 PM
2014-01-10 2:26 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary

Any thoughts?

Gee Dave. Your PT sounds like a nut case. Your stride rate is 74, 74? Really? I got to see a video of you running. That is like a step a second. I don't think that is possible. I am amazed. I am speechless. Luckily I am typing.

Dude, I would start doing walking. Learn to walk pain free then learn to run. I ran through a lot of pain and healed but I learned the way hard way that not all pain will heal itself by running. If you got a chronic issue I don't get how you can run on it and expect it to get better. Especially if you change you form, that is going to cause all sorts of problems. You won't be balanced. I hate to be the voice of reason but if running on your hip hasn't fixed your hip in the past I doubt that running on your hip will fix your hip now.

I would seriously, honest to god, consider resigning yourself to walking the marathon. You want to give it the ol' college try? Man, this is not going to be a dean's list attempt here. You are going for a pass.

And with that cheery post I will show myself the door....

eta: oh also, get your bike cadence to 180, that will help.

Edited by BigDH 2014-01-10 2:27 PM
2014-01-10 2:47 PM

User image

Jackson, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed

Originally posted by NeverTri'd

Finally able to get back training. Looks like my head cold is about gone. I'm not one of these who trains through anything. If I'm sick, you can forget about it!

Workout 5 is now complete! Had my first experience with Sufferfest last night. Real good ride. I just wish I could figure out what is going on with my left knee. I've been having some lateral pain for the past couple of months. Nothing too bad. Usually gives me problems when I'm playing basketball. I figured I just needed to stretch more. Well, after my ride last night I couldn't straighten it out completely. Couldn't imagine trying to transition into a run! I'm beginning to think it could be strength related too. Guess I'll try that for a while before I decide to see someone about it.

Have a great day everybody!!!

Bill

Glad to hear you are back in the game after overcoming that headcold. They can just suck the life out of you! With 5 workouts in youre right on pace for the 20 for 30 challenge. Remember strength training counts towards that total. I really hope that's all you need but don't wait too long before seeking expert help. I wouldn't be where I am today without the help of my PT - if you find a good one they can be a life saver!

Yeah, I know whawt you mean. I usually wait too long to seek help. Just going to give strength training a try for a while. by the way, whats our time requirement to get credit for strength training? Later!
2014-01-10 3:15 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Any thoughts?

Am I reading this right you're currently at 74 TOTAL or 37Ea leg?
2014-01-10 3:21 PM
in reply to: NeverTri'd

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Workout for the day: 1000m swim that felt pretty good.

This weekend is going to be crazy busy, hopefully I'll get in a workout on Saturday but Sunday may be a dedicated rest day. Probably a good idea since I'll be helping with an event Saturday night which will keep me busy from about 6pm to at least 2am, not counting about 4-5 hours tonight as well.

For recent beer appreciation, last night I had a bottle of Firestone's Double Barrel Ale to accompany a bowl of my homemade chili (which just happens to include Firestone DBA as an ingredient).

2014-01-10 4:02 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by BigDH

Any thoughts?

Gee Dave. Your PT sounds like a nut case. Your stride rate is 74, 74? Really? I got to see a video of you running. That is like a step a second. I don't think that is possible. I am amazed. I am speechless. Luckily I am typing.

Dude, I would start doing walking. Learn to walk pain free then learn to run. I ran through a lot of pain and healed but I learned the way hard way that not all pain will heal itself by running. If you got a chronic issue I don't get how you can run on it and expect it to get better. Especially if you change you form, that is going to cause all sorts of problems. You won't be balanced. I hate to be the voice of reason but if running on your hip hasn't fixed your hip in the past I doubt that running on your hip will fix your hip now.

I would seriously, honest to god, consider resigning yourself to walking the marathon. You want to give it the ol' college try? Man, this is not going to be a dean's list attempt here. You are going for a pass.

Has he suggested a running metronome? A footpod is a good tool to analyze data at a later time. The treadmill is also a great tool, since it can let you focus on your striding without having to worry about the ground or objects or whatever else.

For cadence, are you counting just one foot, or doubling it? By my understanding, cadence is the total number of footfalls per minute. At 74 per minute, that's not really running so much as it is hurdling. Even at double that (148), you're still probably 20 strikes per minute too slow.

Here's my last run, with foodpod data for cadence: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/426613224. My cadence increases with speed, but only barely - at 12:00, it's around 160, and at 6:40 it's at ~182.

I'm half-joking, but you might want to tie a short bungee cord around your ankles, so it stops you from striding so far - your strides have to be like twice the length mine are - you're probably almost hopping like a rabbit.

You can also try something like [url]http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html] Podrunner , which has workout mixes at a specific beats per minute range. There's probably also some apps that do the metronome thing.

I suggestt (talk with your PT first): get on a treadmill, set it for 12:30 pace (or something else extremely slow) and spend an hour shuffling your feet. SMALL steps. Smaller than that. Smaller still. Shuffle shuffle shuffle.
2014-01-10 4:31 PM

User image

New user

Whew I have to add 'check the board every day' to my goals Sound slike everybody is hitting the ground running, with some uncooperative body parts not withstanding. I have to start freiending everybody. I joined this site in 2009 or so and up to this point I have had zero interaction with anybody. Reading everybodies posts and their profiles, I feel as though I have lucked into a great group!

Busy week , I am at 5/31: the plan is to do a long run tomorrow and perhaps a bike if my legs feel good. The boys will all be out ice fishing so I have the bulk of the day to do my own thing (very rare occurance!). I spent the week checking out the new gym, organizing my schedule for January and setting up a meeting with a coach. She very modestly calls herself a mentor but she has done a million tri's and puts on clinics in running and biking for the local pro shop. I am excited to meet with her next week to review my master plan.

I re-read Chris Carmichael's book - Food for Fitness this week, it is a great read for anybody who wants to get serious about their nutrition. It's very practical and I am always shocked at how much better I feel when I follow his advice on pre-work out meals, well actually not just pre - the whole gamet. Coming from bobdybuilding where they say 80% of success is your diet I am going to pay far closer attention to what I eat now, in a good way

I have been inspired by all the talk of hoppy beers to pick up a hop series taster case from Alexander Keith's they are most famous for their IPA (it's a Nova Scotia beer that has been around in Canada since before we were a country lol) So far I tried the Hallertaur hop ale - profiled as herbal flavour with a hint of spice. It wasa fantastic! Granted the atmosphere may have given it a boost, sampled during steamy outdoor hottub (our record is hottubbing when it was -38C/F) after a long session on the trainer - Sufferfest Local Hero. I don't know how widely available Keith's is but pretty much everything they make is great.
2014-01-10 4:46 PM
in reply to: ripariangal

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by ripariangal Whew I have to add 'check the board every day' to my goals Sound slike everybody is hitting the ground running, with some uncooperative body parts not withstanding. I have to start freiending everybody. I joined this site in 2009 or so and up to this point I have had zero interaction with anybody. Reading everybodies posts and their profiles, I feel as though I have lucked into a great group! Busy week , I am at 5/31: the plan is to do a long run tomorrow and perhaps a bike if my legs feel good. The boys will all be out ice fishing so I have the bulk of the day to do my own thing (very rare occurance!). I spent the week checking out the new gym, organizing my schedule for January and setting up a meeting with a coach. She very modestly calls herself a mentor but she has done a million tri's and puts on clinics in running and biking for the local pro shop. I am excited to meet with her next week to review my master plan. I re-read Chris Carmichael's book - Food for Fitness this week, it is a great read for anybody who wants to get serious about their nutrition. It's very practical and I am always shocked at how much better I feel when I follow his advice on pre-work out meals, well actually not just pre - the whole gamet. Coming from bobdybuilding where they say 80% of success is your diet I am going to pay far closer attention to what I eat now, in a good way I have been inspired by all the talk of hoppy beers to pick up a hop series taster case from Alexander Keith's they are most famous for their IPA (it's a Nova Scotia beer that has been around in Canada since before we were a country lol) So far I tried the Hallertaur hop ale - profiled as herbal flavour with a hint of spice. It wasa fantastic! Granted the atmosphere may have given it a boost, sampled during steamy outdoor hottub (our record is hottubbing when it was -38C/F) after a long session on the trainer - Sufferfest Local Hero. I don't know how widely available Keith's is but pretty much everything they make is great.

Sounds like a pickerel fish fry is in your future! Outdoor hot tub after a hard trainer ride with a cold beer...doesn't get much better!!

2014-01-10 4:48 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Ahh went with the old standby. A hopbox from Phillips brewery! 3 regulars plus a new one every couple of months! have them cooling in the freezer!

2014-01-10 7:29 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Expert

Any thoughts?

UH OH... In this corner is the man on BT that I respect the most (if you want to redefine the word tough - just read some of his racelogs) and in the other corner is the best PT I have ever worked with. I trust you both and I'm befuddled at who to listen to...

Here is what I know to be true: I've been going to this PT for three months and there hasn't been a single time where I felt he has been wrong or lead me the wrong way. He has gone out of his way to help me (on four occasions he or his PTA has worked with me for over two hours when I have only been scheduled for a 1/2 hour appointment) and I know that the work he is having me do is changing my body for the better. My back which was a nightmare for the last decade doesn't hurt any more. My plantar fasciitis has gone away. The knee pain that has sidelined me at times since high school is gone. If I stopped drinking beer, I believe you might actually see some abs under there. The pain in my hip has gradually gotten better but hasn't disappeared and I slowly on my way to building up my mileage to the point where I hit my peak in 2012 when you (DH) helped me to prepare for a HIM in 5 weeks. So, there is no question that he has helped me immensely.

With that said, you have been there for me since you started this mentor group 2 years ago and you have helped me immensely. As a runner and athlete, you have been there and done that and I respect you completely.

So, part of the slower pace may have been the fact that I was running on a treadmill and I do tend to bound when running on them... Or I may have gotten the number wrong - that's possible and I will check next week... but I don't think so. I went out for a run earlier in the week and the new stride does reduce the impact. I've been to a doctor several times and have had an xray (I probably need an MRI - but the cost is prohibitive) To be honest - I think he is onto something with this stride thing. When I run with my normal stride, the impact of my left foot results in my left knee pushing to the left of center an inch or two. So clearly something is out of whack... Since I think I have tried almost every thing else, I'm going to give to give this new style of running my best effort.

With that said, I am prepared to walk the marathon (all I want to do is finish thereby accomplishing the goal that I set for myself when I was a newby in your mentor group and raising a ton of money for the hospital that helped my son). I'm just not willing to resign myself to walking until I've tried everything....I love running. I've loved it all my life even if it has caused me frustration and pain...I just am not in a position to give up yet.

So, do you have any thoughts about how I can change my stride so I can lesson the impact on the foot strike and maybe let me get back to pain free running? I think what I need to do is to make a change like they talk about in Born To Run. I read that book this summer and thought to myself, I ought to give that a try. But stubbornly, I kept plugging away. Now I'm out of options and its time to make it happen.

Oh, did I mention I may get a bib for Boston?

PS - I have never spent as long writing a post on BT...

2014-01-10 7:44 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - OPEN
Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by kevinbe I got 5 and 6 in this morning (swim/bike) with 7 and 8 to follow tomorrow (swim Bike) in the 31 challenge. Update on goals is as follows: lose 2 lbs.CW is 203.1- Down 2.9 lbs as of this morning. Looking to lose 3.5 by weeks end. make 5 workouts towads 21/30 challenge- Got it in barely. 2x swim, 1 long swim 1 speed workout. LS is 1000+ SS is 900+- swam 1100 long swim today and doing my speed work tomorrow of 1000. 3x trainer sessions of 35 min+- 1 session on trainer, 2 on spin bike. I hate the spin bike at gym, but it is a necessary evil. It's just boring. Somehow I lost count. I'll only have 7/31 after tomorrow.

Count before you drink your beers...

Nice job!

How do you find the day after hockey? I am completely wiped. I have trouble getting a workout the next day. Wish the games started at 6pm.

The day after hockey is a no go for workout. I'm usually home at 1am and to bed by 3am to get up at 7. Plus I have between 2-5 barly pops on hockey night... so I make Tuesday my rest day.
2014-01-10 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - OPEN

Originally posted by kevinbe

I got 5 and 6 in this morning (swim/bike) with 7 and 8 to follow tomorrow (swim Bike) in the 31 challenge.
Update on goals is as follows:
lose 2 lbs.CW is 203.1- Down 2.9 lbs as of this morning. Looking to lose 3.5 by weeks end.
make 5 workouts towads 21/30 challenge- Got it in barely.
2x swim, 1 long swim 1 speed workout. LS is 1000+ SS is 900+- swam 1100 long swim today and doing my speed work tomorrow of 1000.
3x trainer sessions of 35 min+- 1 session on trainer, 2 on spin bike. I hate the spin bike at gym, but it is a necessary evil. It's just boring.

Somehow I lost count. I'll only have 7/31 after tomorrow.

Bam! Looks like you are locking it down. Nice work on the weight loss and the success you have had with the other goals. You ought to have a few barley pops to reward yourself!
It is with much shame that I admit that I have almost completely cut out barleys from the diet in order to lose weight. I hope this does not set up a lifetime ban from the BDAAS!
I also began tracking intake. It would be my guess that on a normal day with the 2-4 barley pops included, I was probably consuming between 3-4000 calories+. If it was food, and I looked at it, it went in my mouth. I had to limit to 2000 calories +or- a few, and want to do that, in order to lose anything. I've only had 8 brews in January thus far. For me, I think that's as close as I an come to being "dry"
2014-01-10 8:00 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Any thoughts?

I think I can get this at the Booze superstore. I need to make a list, and stock up on good 22's as rewards.
Also, I've read a few threads where they talk about getting a metronome (sp) beat on your ipod to run to. There's probably a few other tips out there to increase cadence.

Edited by kevinbe 2014-01-10 8:11 PM
2014-01-11 8:49 AM

User image

Lansing, Michigan
Back in the saddle. After a few days off I've got to finish my that was on my log from yesterday. 15 miles on the bike at a hard resistance. This afternoon we are off to the Y for a swim and a run. Push ups are also done for today. The bike was pretty tough this morning. Too many Gumball beers last night, but we got that leg out of the way.
2014-01-11 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

So, part of the slower pace may have been the fact that I was running on a treadmill and I do tend to bound when running on them... Or I may have gotten the number wrong - that's possible and I will check next week... but I don't think so. I went out for a run earlier in the week and the new stride does reduce the impact. I've been to a doctor several times and have had an xray (I probably need an MRI - but the cost is prohibitive) To be honest - I think he is onto something with this stride thing. When I run with my normal stride, the impact of my left foot results in my left knee pushing to the left of center an inch or two. So clearly something is out of whack... Since I think I have tried almost every thing else, I'm going to give to give this new style of running my best effort.

With that said, I am prepared to walk the marathon (all I want to do is finish thereby accomplishing the goal that I set for myself when I was a newby in your mentor group and raising a ton of money for the hospital that helped my son). I'm just not willing to resign myself to walking until I've tried everything....I love running. I've loved it all my life even if it has caused me frustration and pain...I just am not in a position to give up yet.

So, do you have any thoughts about how I can change my stride so I can lesson the impact on the foot strike and maybe let me get back to pain free running? I think what I need to do is to make a change like they talk about in Born To Run. I read that book this summer and thought to myself, I ought to give that a try. But stubbornly, I kept plugging away. Now I'm out of options and its time to make it happen.

I was playing with the treadmill today and my footpod, to do some cadence testing. Performed after my workout, so I was warmed up and everything was feeling good. All splits were on the treadmill, at 5mph (12:00/mile).

I couldn't replicate a 74spm (37 per foot) cadence, period.

Split 1: Normal cadence - 132bpm, ~160 cadence
Split 2: Fast cadence - 134bpm, 180 cadence
Split 3: Slow cadence, 144bpm, 150 cadence

Subjectively, I could feel a huge increase in impact at the slower cadence. At 150spm and 12:00/mile, I would estimate my foot is hitting harder than when I run at 180spm at 7:00/mile. I could also feel the horizontal roll in my hips, spine, back, and shoulders. My average stride length also went up, from 0.83 to 0.92 meters - about 3.5 inches per step. My hear rate was also about 10bpm higher.

I'm not a running expert, by any means - but 150spm feels significantly wrong. There was a lot of extraneous movement in my body and the foot impact was dramatically higher.

I would suggest that you get a footpod, set your watch to display only cadence, and focus number. That immediate feedback might help you focus on what you need to change.

2014-01-11 9:58 AM
in reply to: #4915725

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I think I'm up to 6/31, but I can't find my last post to be sure. Got in a run this morning at my FIL's gym. It wasn't the best run I've ever had, as I have a nice cold, but it is in the books!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
2014-01-11 10:32 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I think I'm up to 6/31, but I can't find my last post to be sure. Got in a run this morning at my FIL's gym. It wasn't the best run I've ever had, as I have a nice cold, but it is in the books!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Looking at your log I counted 5 s/b/r workouts + a yoga session. That's an easy way to count. Holy Cow though, that swim you did should count for 5 workouts! Nice job on 1hr 10 min pool workout! at 25 minutes, I'm cooked.

Keep it up Gretchen
2014-01-11 12:39 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Good Afternoon BDAASers: I hope you are enjoying a great and relaxing weekend with family and friends. And don't forget, we've got two playoff games tonight ("Playoffs? Playoffs") so make sure to get in a good workout so you can dig into those chips and enjoy that extra icy cold beverage.

A couple of things:

1. I have updated the google doc to include everyone's name. Sorry it took me so long.

2. I added a page to our google doc where you can post topics and questions you want answered. Every Monday I will post a topic and people can chime in with their thoughts during the course of the week. We have a nice mixture of experience in this group so feel free to contribute even if you are just starting out. Everyone has something to contribute. With that said, please feel free to post a question on the forum as they come up - the weekly topic is just a good opportunity for everyone to epress their views on topics that are important to triathletes. Here is the link (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Atf3WryluKZedFQwci1LRFcxZlRPNnlnVEF3cUtUSmc&usp=sharing)

3. There are two days remaining in the week. Work hard to finish your goals this weekend. You guys are doing a fabulous job!

4. Start thinking about your goals for next week. Begin by taking a look at what you did this week and learn from it so you can make goals that will challenge you but that you should be able to accomplish.

Have a great weekend everyone!
2014-01-11 12:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Went for an early run with my wife this morning. Nice to have company on a run makes it go by faster! Followed it up with a quick swim at the pool then a nice hot tub. Love our rec centre. Only way it could have been better is a beer in the hot tub...I guess 8:45am might be a little early though...that puts me 11/31 DQ. 

Had 4 different IPA's last night. Hmmm will try to stick to two tonite!

have a great weekend everyone!!

2014-01-11 1:45 PM

User image

Had a great Friday off. Had a Duck Rabbit Hoppy Bunny (black IPA) with lunch then watched lone survivor with a friend.

I use Garmin connect to log my workouts (same user name). If I connect my watch to BT will it auto download with the ant or will I need to use a cable?

Y'all have inspired me to start the 100 push up challenge. I'll post after my workout today doing a swim and run then either weights or some combatives training..

EDIT: so pool is closed due to sever weather. Silly city is afraid that the 70 MPH winds are going to blow the tent off the pool. Just because its blowing down trees and causing tornados is no reason to close the pool. LOL........No swim today

Edited by b2b14 2014-01-11 1:56 PM

2014-01-11 3:03 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Wife and I did a Metabolic conditioning session at the gym that her trainer set up for her. 3o minutes of madness is what I called that. It was 5 stations at 60 sec. each with 10 seconds rest between stations. We did that 4 times with 60 seconds rest between sets. I like working out with her, because it's a lot different than the usual s/b/r.
I will get an extra trainer ride in tomorrow. I have lost 4 lbs as of this morning this week. My goal was to lose 2, so I'm pretty happy about that. Looking forward to a well deserved beverage tomorrow evening.

Mirror Pond Pale Ale by Deschuttes Brewing out of Oregon.
2014-01-11 4:06 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Any thoughts?

Has he suggested a running metronome? A footpod is a good tool to analyze data at a later time. The treadmill is also a great tool, since it can let you focus on your striding without having to worry about the ground or objects or whatever else.

For cadence, are you counting just one foot, or doubling it? By my understanding, cadence is the total number of footfalls per minute. At 74 per minute, that's not really running so much as it is hurdling. Even at double that (148), you're still probably 20 strikes per minute too slow.

Here's my last run, with foodpod data for cadence: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/426613224. My cadence increases with speed, but only barely - at 12:00, it's around 160, and at 6:40 it's at ~182.

I'm half-joking, but you might want to tie a short bungee cord around your ankles, so it stops you from striding so far - your strides have to be like twice the length mine are - you're probably almost hopping like a rabbit.

You can also try something like [url]http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html] Podrunner , which has workout mixes at a specific beats per minute range. There's probably also some apps that do the metronome thing.

I suggestt (talk with your PT first): get on a treadmill, set it for 12:30 pace (or something else extremely slow) and spend an hour shuffling your feet. SMALL steps. Smaller than that. Smaller still. Shuffle shuffle shuffle.

Another good option could be the free-app Rock My Run, you can download free music already mixed for 30 to 45 min run and you can choose the bpm, sure will help. And if not, great to motivate your cadence!!
2014-01-11 4:19 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

New user
Madrid
I am also using Garmin 910, how do you connect it to BT?

This morning 1000m swim but the pool was too busy, last night spinning 45 min. Hope tomorrow go for a long run - trying to squeeze some workouts between kids basketball games, movies with friends, and lunch with in-laws.... is this relaxing? I guess so! At least enjoying a great Ribera del Duero red wine, Mauro, one of my favourites.
2014-01-11 5:20 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by kevinbe Wife and I did a Metabolic conditioning session at the gym that her trainer set up for her. 3o minutes of madness is what I called that. It was 5 stations at 60 sec. each with 10 seconds rest between stations. We did that 4 times with 60 seconds rest between sets. I like working out with her, because it's a lot different than the usual s/b/r. I will get an extra trainer ride in tomorrow. I have lost 4 lbs as of this morning this week. My goal was to lose 2, so I'm pretty happy about that. Looking forward to a well deserved beverage tomorrow evening. Mirror Pond Pale Ale by Deschuttes Brewing out of Oregon.

I don't understand...tomorrow? 

Great job on working out with your bride!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.