BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-07-19 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed
I have my Garmin set to alert at 15' intervals and never skip my nutrition (sport drink) -down tube and then 2 or more (depending on temps) sips of water out of my front mounted aerodrink holder. It works pretty well...never have done a sweat test, I just know that I should have the need to pee at 40 mile intervals, if not, I try to bump up the water. All of this has been tested Ad nauseum over the past two seasons and is a work in progress...but the last long ride and then my HIM, seemed to hit it pretty well. Didn't write this in my RR but had to go again about 5 miles in and just let it go. Yahoo for my smart wool socks drying out very quickly! I just love sharing gross stuff with you guys! I don't think Suzy will even let in into her new house (at least not the carpeted parts) when we come to visit! Kathy will have to bring food and drink out to the garden for me and Cooper!

2011-07-19 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3603920

User image

Master

kt65 - 2011-07-19 9:21 AM I have my Garmin set to alert at 15' intervals and never skip my nutrition (sport drink) -down tube and then 2 or more (depending on temps) sips of water out of my front mounted aerodrink holder. It works pretty well...never have done a sweat test, I just know that I should have the need to pee at 40 mile intervals, if not, I try to bump up the water. All of this has been tested Ad nauseum over the past two seasons and is a work in progress...but the last long ride and then my HIM, seemed to hit it pretty well. Didn't write this in my RR but had to go again about 5 miles in and just let it go. Yahoo for my smart wool socks drying out very quickly! I just love sharing gross stuff with you guys! I don't think Suzy will even let in into her new house (at least not the carpeted parts) when we come to visit! Kathy will have to bring food and drink out to the garden for me and Cooper!

You peed while running?? Or was that on the bike?

So fruatrating for me: On long training rides, I don't pee that often (probably too little). However, in both IMs I had to pee roughly every 20 miles. It drives me nuts, but at the same time, I think it's good to be hydrated. I don't think I drink that much more when racing, but maybe I do -- just sip sips on the aero bottle of water add up, I guess. I make sure to drink 2 water sips to every Infinit sip (mixed 2-3x strong for IM), and drink to thirst throughout.

Great discussions!!!

2011-07-19 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3603848

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2011-07-19 8:51 AM

velcromom - 2011-07-19 11:16 AM When you say sweat test, is that where you weigh your self naked before a ride, don't drink anything, and then repreat after?

ryan posted this a waaaaay back in 2009.   http://www.trihardermultisports.com/THM_SwRate.aspx

in his original post on that sunny june day he also added that you should post pics of the weigh in. 

reading through some of those old posts is pretty funny.

Not gonna measure my urine volume. So there.

2011-07-19 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3603964

User image

Elite
san francisco
kkcbelle - 2011-07-19 9:34 AM

kt65 - 2011-07-19 9:21 AM I have my Garmin set to alert at 15' intervals and never skip my nutrition (sport drink) -down tube and then 2 or more (depending on temps) sips of water out of my front mounted aerodrink holder. It works pretty well...never have done a sweat test, I just know that I should have the need to pee at 40 mile intervals, if not, I try to bump up the water. All of this has been tested Ad nauseum over the past two seasons and is a work in progress...but the last long ride and then my HIM, seemed to hit it pretty well. Didn't write this in my RR but had to go again about 5 miles in and just let it go. Yahoo for my smart wool socks drying out very quickly! I just love sharing gross stuff with you guys! I don't think Suzy will even let in into her new house (at least not the carpeted parts) when we come to visit! Kathy will have to bring food and drink out to the garden for me and Cooper!

So fruatrating for me: On long training rides, I don't pee that often (probably too little). However, in both IMs I had to pee roughly every 20 miles. It drives me nuts, but at the same time, I think it's good to be hydrated. I don't think I drink that much more when racing, but maybe I do -- just sip sips on the aero bottle of water add up, I guess. I make sure to drink 2 water sips to every Infinit sip (mixed 2-3x strong for IM), and drink to thirst throughout.

Great discussions!!!

Not on the bike (this year!) I will take the fifth on the T2 and what I just wrote, use your imagination! Or don't and just forget you ever read that. I am sure John will bookmark this page in his notebook to bring up at a later date when I am 50 and wearing depends from holding it on the bike for so many miles! FWIW, I do plot out points along my long ride to stop and use a restroom or port o potty at roughly those intervals and will hope to do the same for MOO. I am not sure I am adding much to the great discussion other than the EWW factor.
2011-07-19 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3603988

User image

Master
kt65 - 2011-07-19 9:45 AM

Great discussions!!!

Not on the bike (this year!) I will take the fifth on the T2 and what I just wrote, use your imagination! Or don't and just forget you ever read that. I am sure John will bookmark this page in his notebook to bring up at a later date when I am 50 and wearing depends from holding it on the bike for so many miles! FWIW, I do plot out points along my long ride to stop and use a restroom or port o potty at roughly those intervals and will hope to do the same for MOO. I am not sure I am adding much to the great discussion other than the EWW factor.

Well, take the 5th all you want, but I am gonna continue to grill you in public so I can learn. If you don't want to keep answering me in public, just send me an email! I have no issues with bike peeing -- have done it, but really I'll think through the circumstances each time before I decide. But this running thing... fascinated (again). Did you pee while running?? And if so, was that hard to do? (Had you practiced??) I did practice peeing while swimming -- it is hard for me to do, but if I concentrate enough, stop kicking, and push hard enough (TMI???), I CAN do it. Couldn't in CDA though, but maybe I didn't have to go too badly.

I remember Beth Walsh writing in her blog once about peeing in T2... just sit down to put on your shoes and let 'er rip in the grass. Brilliant!! In fact, in hindsight I shoulda done that in CDA rather than waiting for the porta potty. The flip side is that while I waited I did get a liberal dose of sunscreen applied, which was necessary...

2011-07-19 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3603920

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

kt65 - 2011-07-19 10:21 AM I have my Garmin set to alert at 15' intervals and never skip my nutrition (sport drink) -down tube and then 2 or more (depending on temps) sips of water out of my front mounted aerodrink holder. It works pretty well...never have done a sweat test, I just know that I should have the need to pee at 40 mile intervals, if not, I try to bump up the water. All of this has been tested Ad nauseum over the past two seasons and is a work in progress...but the last long ride and then my HIM, seemed to hit it pretty well. Didn't write this in my RR but had to go again about 5 miles in and just let it go. Yahoo for my smart wool socks drying out very quickly! I just love sharing gross stuff with you guys! I don't think Suzy will even let in into her new house (at least not the carpeted parts) when we come to visit! Kathy will have to bring food and drink out to the garden for me and Cooper!

Awesome work Kim!

2011-07-19 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3603988

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
kt65 - 2011-07-19 10:45 AM

Great discussions!!!

Its closer than you think....... Kiss And depends should be capitalized, its a product name. Depends...

I can see it now!!!!

2011-07-19 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3604137

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2011-07-19 1:47 PM

Its closer than you think....... Kiss And depends should be capitalized, its a product name.

HA!    and    HA! 

2011-07-19 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3604089

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
kkcbelle - 2011-07-19 1:27 PM

I remember Beth Walsh writing in her blog once about peeing in T2... just sit down to put on your shoes and let 'er rip in the grass. Brilliant!! In fact, in hindsight I shoulda done that in CDA rather than waiting for the porta potty. The flip side is that while I waited I did get a liberal dose of sunscreen applied, which was necessary...

That is brilliant!  Please remind me of this Aug 20th, although I think the transition area at Timberman is all blacktop. 

2011-07-19 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3604089

User image

Elite
san francisco
kkcbelle - 2011-07-19 10:27 AM
kt65 - 2011-07-19 9:45 AM

Great discussions!!!

Well, take the 5th all you want, but I am gonna continue to grill you in public so I can learn. If you don't want to keep answering me in public, just send me an email! I have no issues with bike peeing -- have done it, but really I'll think through the circumstances each time before I decide. But this running thing... fascinated (again). Did you pee while running?? And if so, was that hard to do? (Had you practiced??) I did practice peeing while swimming -- it is hard for me to do, but if I concentrate enough, stop kicking, and push hard enough (TMI???), I CAN do it. Couldn't in CDA though, but maybe I didn't have to go too badly.

Are all IRONMEN this persistent???!!!  I love you SO much!  I must, because I am going to tell all.  Please skip if you do not want to hear about it!  omg.  At least I did not end up on You tube. 

Beth and I are so alike!  Other than that she smoked me by 45 minutes at Vineman, that is.  Yes!  I got to T2, took off my shoes and socks and squatted down and just let it GO into the grass, while getting my helmet off and putting hat on, taking bike pump and clif shots out of pocket and stuffing gus in the back of my tri top and still had time to grab the spray on sunscreen and spray it on my arms, finished...sprayed my legs, its the stuff you can spray on while wet (i bet they weren't thinking of THAT kind of wet when they developed the product!  IT WAS AWESOME!!!  stepped on the towel I had brought, Linda, you didn't really think that was to keep my shoes dry from the fog, did ya?  and then put on my beautiful fresh socks and slipped on my shoes with the yankx perfectly, off I went. 

Only to pee at mile 5 without breaking a stride...literally, just let it go!  It's easier to do that when I'm running hard...don't know why, practice it on the next rainy day...that is when I first did it kind of accidently in the middle of a speed workout and I really didn't want to start my interval over again, and realized "wow, that was way too easy".  It's a talent, or a disability?  I don't do this all of the time, mind you!  I have not had to do it in a standalone running race, for some reason, it's all that hydrating on the bike and run during triathlon that just has to go somewhere, right? 

Christina, I will remind you! 

2011-07-19 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

ROTFLMAO......glad I was halfway down the rack in T2!!!!

Okay, since we're getting gross.....on the run, did it run down your leg, or soak up in your chamois?!?   This may be something new to think about.  Didn't want to pee on my new bike/wheels, but heck, the shoes were trashed anyway!!

2011-07-19 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3604453

User image

Elite
san francisco
velcromom - 2011-07-19 1:10 PM

ROTFLMAO......glad I was halfway down the rack in T2!!!!

Okay, since we're getting gross.....on the run, did it run down your leg, or soak up in your chamois?!?   This may be something new to think about.  Didn't want to pee on my new bike/wheels, but heck, the shoes were trashed anyway!!

There is something wrong about writing all this while eating lunch but what the heck.  So, the nice thing (as you know) about the Oomph distance pad is that it dries really quickly, so it was already dry from the first time (T2) and so i guess some got absorbed in the pad, but it definitely was running down my legs and of course into my shoes/socks.  The awesome thing about my kinvaras and my smart wool phd running socks is that they dried super quick too!  Shoes were totally dry by the time I got done, socks a little damp.  When I got back to T2, I changed back into the socks I biked in and replaced my inserts from my bike shoes into my run ones (inserts were still wet), since we had a lot of walking around and the crazy shuttle bus.  OH, and if we are talking being prepared, I had left a bottle of wet ones at T2, so I took those to the ladies room and cleaned up real nice! 

This must be a fascinating read if you just randomly stopped by our MG forum accidently.  Tongue out

eta: thank you for reminding me to spray down my shoes tonight, I should have done that when I sprayed out my yucky wetsuit.  i don't have to run until Thursday, so they should dry by then. 

eta again: and lest some of you guys/gals think, why not just go to a port o potty?  well, I've done that before and it seems to take the wind out of my sails...lots of time it is so hot in there and it just makes me nauseous to be in there, and sometimes can't even go!  Waiting around for even a few minutes, it's hard for me to get started again...at least while running. 

new topic, please, people are getting bored! 

Edited by kt65 2011-07-19 3:30 PM
2011-07-19 4:39 PM
in reply to: #3604223

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
fattyfatfat - 2011-07-19 1:24 PM

Its closer than you think....... Kiss And depends should be capitalized, its a product name.

HA!    and    HA! 

Hey Trev

You might want to get out your spectacles or make an appointment with Kim.  The product name is DEPEND, no S.  I worked for Kimberly Clark for 6 years and it was a constant problem we had with seniors.  IM aging you?

PS. I'm strongly rethinking my shoes in the house policy for Kim.  With new wood floors and carpeting, just not grooving on the smell of urine everywhere.  I am also a little worried that Cooper might lift his leg on her to mark his territory.

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-07-19 4:43 PM
2011-07-19 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3604654

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2011-07-19 2:39 PM

HA!    and    HA! 

Hey Trev

You might want to get out your spectacles or make an appointment with Kim.  The product name is DEPEND, no S.  I worked for Kimberly Clark for 6 years and it was a constant problem we had with seniors.  IM aging you?

PS. I'm strongly rethinking my shoes in the house policy for Kim.  With new wood floors and carpeting, just not grooving on the smell of urine everywhere.  I am also a little worried that Cooper might lift his leg on her to mark his territory.

Yeah!  You tell him, Twin!  No worries, us asian folks always take our shoes off in the house...we bring our own slippahs.

And Cooper and I are gonna be best buddies  

2011-07-19 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3604683

User image

Elite
Raleigh
kt65 - 2011-07-19 5:52 PM

HA!    and    HA! 

Hey Trev

Yeah!  You tell him, Twin!  No worries, us asian folks always take our shoes off in the house...we bring our own slippahs.

Not just for Asians anymore, my wife ALWAYS makes us take off our shoes! No rule about peeing on ourselves though!

2011-07-19 5:19 PM

User image

Master

HA!    and    HA! 

Hey Trev

While we're at it, let's give Trevor a grammar lesson.

Its = possessive, no apostrophe necessary

It's = "it is" contraction, please use apostrophe

Thank you.

And back to our regularly scheduled programming... THANK YOU Kim for the explanations!!! I love that you had practiced this already while running, and the next time it is raining and I need to pee, I'll give it a shot. Really, if you need to pee that badly in a race, it's likely to be fairly watery. And it is sterile after all (or, for Trevor, I'll say it's sterile after all).

After re-reading this post, I have decided I like the word apostrophe. 

That's all I got.

ETA: BTW, let's talk porta-potties at IMs. I can handle plenty of grossness, and I can pee squatting, if need be, over gross seats. But when you stop during a 13-hour race, sometimes those quads are a bit shaky when you are squatting over a toilet. I don't know what the hell the other sex does in there, but IM porta potties are a MESS!!! At my last stop on the bike this past year, I literally asked the men coming out if they turned circles around inside while they pee. It's EVERYWHERE. How hard is it to point your business into the provided urinal?? Good grief!! We ladies can't pee into that mounted urinal no matter how hard we try. For us, please keep the seat clean! Trevor, if you need to use the porta-potty at IMC, think of the poor women using it after you. 

Edited by kkcbelle 2011-07-19 5:24 PM

2011-07-19 5:24 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

I love you, Doug.  That is very funny. 

This topic has just extended itself yet again!  And I am the major culprit.  And fwiw, I think I love the word apostrophe, too!  It is (It's) an awesome word spelled in such an interesting way. 

I do apologize for the hijack from the sweat rate talk...but if Tony doesn't pipe back in after he posts the original question, that is (that's) not my fault, is it? 

My, my, a day off from training and I am just posting like a crazy person. 

eta:  Just read Kyla's post above mine and cannot (can't) stop laughing.  For realz?  Do I have to worry about this being worse than normal at Moo...Suzy, please pipe back in. 

yes, i am (I'm) going to keep doing this until Trevor starts using apostrophes properly! 

Edited by kt65 2011-07-19 5:27 PM
2011-07-19 5:25 PM
in reply to: #3604732

User image

Master
DougRob - 2011-07-19 3:14 PM
kt65 - 2011-07-19 5:52 PM

HA!    and    HA! 

Hey Trev

Not just for Asians anymore, my wife ALWAYS makes us take off our shoes! No rule about peeing on ourselves though!

Shoes off here, too. And I take my fuzzy slippers everywhere!! (Book clubs, BBQs, trips...)

2011-07-19 5:34 PM

User image

Master

This MG is making me very unproductive today!

X50000 on the porta-potties.  yuk.

And I'm (note the apostrophe) really cracking up at Kim - because we talked pee at Vineman, and she didn't mention her experiences THEN!! 

Suzy - maybe you should provide those little paper booties that realtors give out....!!

2011-07-19 5:39 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Sitting in the car driving with four collegues smiling at the iPad trying not to laugh my a$$ off so I don't have to explain it...I don't think they would get it!Thanks for giving me something good to read to pass the time in traffic around Pittsburgh!
2011-07-19 5:40 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

I think Suzy and George will side with me that I would have loved to have been able to urinate on my shoes during the race?  Even if it would have slowed down T1 or T2!  Laughing

However,  

A better question would be how many gallons of fluid did you have to drink and how many hours after the race did it take to actually urinate?  

Maybe this is TMI also, but I know I went well over 12 hours, I think it was after 7:00 pm for me, and I drank at least 3 gallons of fluid during the race and after!  Kind of Scary when you really think about it!     

2011-07-19 5:43 PM
in reply to: #3604744

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

kkcbelle - 2011-07-19 5:19 PM  ETA: BTW, let's talk porta-potties at IMs. I can handle plenty of grossness, and I can pee squatting, if need be, over gross seats. But when you stop during a 13-hour race, sometimes those quads are a bit shaky when you are squatting over a toilet. I don't know what the hell the other sex does in there, but IM porta potties are a MESS!!! At my last stop on the bike this past year, I literally asked the men coming out if they turned circles around inside while they pee. It's EVERYWHERE. How hard is it to point your business into the provided urinal?? Good grief!! We ladies can't pee into that mounted urinal no matter how hard we try. For us, please keep the seat clean! Trevor, if you need to use the porta-potty at IMC, think of the poor women using it after you.   

I thought that was a purse holder!!  Laughing

2011-07-19 5:51 PM
in reply to: #3604782

User image

Master
badgerintx - 2011-07-19 3:43 PM

kkcbelle - 2011-07-19 5:19 PM  ETA: BTW, let's talk porta-potties at IMs. I can handle plenty of grossness, and I can pee squatting, if need be, over gross seats. But when you stop during a 13-hour race, sometimes those quads are a bit shaky when you are squatting over a toilet. I don't know what the hell the other sex does in there, but IM porta potties are a MESS!!! At my last stop on the bike this past year, I literally asked the men coming out if they turned circles around inside while they pee. It's EVERYWHERE. How hard is it to point your business into the provided urinal?? Good grief!! We ladies can't pee into that mounted urinal no matter how hard we try. For us, please keep the seat clean! Trevor, if you need to use the porta-potty at IMC, think of the poor women using it after you.   

nope.  purse holder = spouse!

2011-07-19 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3604794

User image

Master
velcromom - 2011-07-19 3:51 PM
badgerintx - 2011-07-19 3:43 PM

nope.  purse holder = spouse!

True story: At a dog show once, an elderly lady came up to the super and complained, in all sincerity, that someone had urinated in the purse holder. Oh dear.

George, why don't you explain to your colleagues how you choose to relieve yourself in races? Better yet, explain to us here. Why is it the ladies (well, really, just Kim) who are always describing the vivid details of this?

Feeling like it's happy hour. Wish I had some company besides my kids (hubs on the road)...

2011-07-19 6:02 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

SSMinnow - 2011-07-19 5:39 PM  

I worked ....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298