BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 168

2009-07-29 7:20 AM
in reply to: #1863539

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: RE: Girl Passing on Left (FULL)
Hi Lyssa. I thought of you this morning while I was out for a run in the rain. It has been raining a lot here recently. Sorry to hear about the problems with your ?d?h. He should have been out there running with you in the rain. Happy to hear that you are pregnant and not suffering from some other illness. Looking forward to hearing that you are back into running and swimming (not sure about the biking while pregnant part).

2009-07-29 10:14 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Wow Lyssa, you certainly have a lot on your plate right now. It's understandable that your running and training have taken a back seat to the other challenges you are facing right now. Make sure you know what you want from the situation and I'm sure will be strong and get through it and come back to run again.  ((hugs))
2009-07-29 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2312871

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-07-28 1:26 PM

MDHillSlug - 2009-07-14 5:46 PM Does anyone have a transition bag they particularly like and would recommend?

I got one with my Newton tennis shoes...it is bright ORANGE and hard to miss...my dd loves her Zoot one! did you ever find one? if so what did you end up getting?

I've researched several but haven't bought anything. I'd kinda like to get to see some in real life and that requires a special trip somewhere.
2009-07-29 10:49 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
A bit of disappointing news today. I've been dealing with right heel pain since the beginning of June and then later started experiencing pain in the ball of my left foot. I've been doing ice and anti-inflammatories and have backed off on the frequency and distance of my running. While this has helped some, I've failed to get better. After yesterday's awful, painful run I decided I should have my foot doc take a look. I just saw him this morning and he says that I have inflammation in both places (the left is likely due to compensation from the right) and that I should not run for 2 weeks. After the two weeks I'm to start back to running slowly and carefully. It's not an awful time for this since I don't have another tri until Sep13, but that one is my first oly and I've still never run 10k. I knew that this was a likely outcome of seeing him but I was hoping he'd just shoot me up with cortisone and let me keep running. I just received a copy of "Evolution Running", so when I get back to running hopefully I can get away from injury!
2009-07-29 4:32 PM
in reply to: #2314010

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

dcon - 2009-07-28 6:17 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-07-29 3:05 AM

OK all caught up...sorry for the deluge in messages...but I wanted to check up on my favorite BTers! sorry for my absence...but I am BAAACK! and with a vengence! hope that you are all doing well...

any races coming up for any of you?

Welcome back Julie!! In case you didn't notice, it is kind of quiet in here without you.

Thanks I think Dan! haha! are you saying I talk  type too much!?

2009-07-29 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2314019

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

dcon - 2009-07-28 6:23 PM Just a quick update from me... - on Monday I did 1500 meters non-stop in the pool. That was a huge breakthrough for me - on Monday I sent in my registration for an Oly distance tri on Aug 23 - on Tuesday I tried my first open water swim in my new wet suit. That was a huge setback for me... I could not believe how buoyant the wet suit made me. I found my stroke did not work the way it did in the pool and I kind of struggled trying out various things for about 30 minutes. I've done some thinking since then and realize I have to go back in, relax and change my stroke to take advantage of the fact that I am now almost completely flat on the surface of the water. With a little patience, I'm expecting to figure out how to go faster with less effort -- that is what the wet suit is supposed to do. Any tips greatly appreciated.

WOW 1500m is incredible! KIU DAN!

Signed up for an OLY!!! YOU GO BOY!

OWS!!! WOOT WOOT! we all struggle our first times in our wetsuits...it is definitely different then in a pool...I can see that with your persistence and a little practice...soon you will be zooming past all others! and will be swimming like a fish in it!

2009-07-29 4:43 PM
in reply to: #2314082

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

lyssa-gator - 2009-07-28 7:02 PM hey guys! again i'm getting on here to apologize for being so absent! i really really tried to come back, and not just pick up the workouts, but be more present on the thread, i think you guys are so amazing and awesome! here's the update on my crazy life--i told some of you guys what was going on before, my dh was cheating on me, and it messed me up, a LOT. we're staying to gether, and we're working it out, things are maybe improving, then a few weeks ago i found out i'm freakin' pregnant. oh yeah, it's just keeps getting better. LOL i would LOVE to still be running and cycling, and swimming (especially today, it's so HOT!!) but the nausea (and exhaustion)  has me by the throat just now, and most days it's all i can do to be upright. it sounds terrible at THIS moment, but the nausea should only last another month or so, then i'm going to start slow (and start OVER AGAIN) and hopefully be able to keep some level of fitness up for the duration. sadly, i think my racing season is over (i havent gotten to race at all this year except that 10K back in feb) but there's always next year.

i'm still going to get on here and check up on you guys regularly, and i feel bad i haven't been on here more, i've missed you guys, and even if it sounds hollow, i actually DO tink of you guys every single day.
it's not the end of me (it took me a while to get to that point LOL) it's just the pause button.
run-bike-swim-RACE!!!

Lyssa...my dear Lyssa! I sooo consider you to be a sister to me! I am glad you and your husband decided to stay together...hope it works out. You will be in my thoughts and prayers!
AND IM GOING TO BE A NEW AUNTIE! WOO HOO!!! Sorry you dont feel well...hope the nausea leaves ya soon!  You hang in there...and let me know if you need ANYTHING!!!

I also didnt get to race this season like I would like to have...but we both will jump feet first in next year....DEAL????

HUGS....you have my phone number....call me if you ever need to!

xoxox your BT sister and soon to be AUNTIE!

2009-07-29 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2314961

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-07-29 8:49 AM A bit of disappointing news today. I've been dealing with right heel pain since the beginning of June and then later started experiencing pain in the ball of my left foot. I've been doing ice and anti-inflammatories and have backed off on the frequency and distance of my running. While this has helped some, I've failed to get better. After yesterday's awful, painful run I decided I should have my foot doc take a look. I just saw him this morning and he says that I have inflammation in both places (the left is likely due to compensation from the right) and that I should not run for 2 weeks. After the two weeks I'm to start back to running slowly and carefully. It's not an awful time for this since I don't have another tri until Sep13, but that one is my first oly and I've still never run 10k. I knew that this was a likely outcome of seeing him but I was hoping he'd just shoot me up with cortisone and let me keep running. I just received a copy of "Evolution Running", so when I get back to running hopefully I can get away from injury!

SORRY for the news Nicole! good thing that you went in and had it looked at before it got worse! hang in there...it seems like we are all getting some kind of set backs thrown at us! I totally have faith that you will do fine in your upcoming tri, too! you are a stud-ette and even if you have to powerwalk the race....you can finish! Keep us posted...and hoping for a SUPER speedy recovery!

can you still bike? swim?

2009-07-29 7:25 PM
in reply to: #2315981

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-07-29 5:47 PM

MDHillSlug - 2009-07-29 8:49 AM A bit of disappointing news today. I've been dealing with right heel pain since the beginning of June and then later started experiencing pain in the ball of my left foot. I've been doing ice and anti-inflammatories and have backed off on the frequency and distance of my running. While this has helped some, I've failed to get better. After yesterday's awful, painful run I decided I should have my foot doc take a look. I just saw him this morning and he says that I have inflammation in both places (the left is likely due to compensation from the right) and that I should not run for 2 weeks. After the two weeks I'm to start back to running slowly and carefully. It's not an awful time for this since I don't have another tri until Sep13, but that one is my first oly and I've still never run 10k. I knew that this was a likely outcome of seeing him but I was hoping he'd just shoot me up with cortisone and let me keep running. I just received a copy of "Evolution Running", so when I get back to running hopefully I can get away from injury!

SORRY for the news Nicole! good thing that you went in and had it looked at before it got worse! hang in there...it seems like we are all getting some kind of set backs thrown at us! I totally have faith that you will do fine in your upcoming tri, too! you are a stud-ette and even if you have to powerwalk the race....you can finish! Keep us posted...and hoping for a SUPER speedy recovery!

Yes, I have explicit permission to bike and swim
2009-07-29 7:41 PM
in reply to: #2316188

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-07-29 5:25 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-07-29 5:47 PM

Yes, I have explicit permission to bike and swim

Thats good.

2009-07-29 8:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Wow, Julie, you sure do make up for lost time!

I've been back from Aspen for a week now and have lots of catching up to do on my logs ... just trying to get things caught up at home and work. My trip was great. I was able to do the Race for the Cure the day after we flew in and it was incredible. I didn't push too hard because of the altitude but ended up 305 out of 633 women, lots of walkers in the race. No PR but I beat the time I did in my first 5K. The change in altitude during the 5K was just under 800 feet (down a narrow gravel switchback trail). The race was truly inspirational and I was able to reflect on how lucky I was to have my family, my friends, my health, how far I've come, and to be in such a beautiful place. There is no way I would have even contemplated this 18 months ago. We got to see both of my daughter's shows, take the gondola up Aspen Mountain, hike every day, do a white water rafting trip, and some geo-caching with my 22 year old son. And now it's back to the real world.

Julie, hope your dad is able to find some peace and isn't in any pain. Karen, congrats on selling your house and best of luck on the new chapter of your life. Lyssa and Susie, hang in there ... I haven't been in your situations but can only imagine how tough it must be. Nicole and Dan, way to get signed up for an oly ... maybe next year for me, if I can get my running up to par. Nicole, the seminar after our group run this week was on injury prevention/rehab and the doctor talked about how successful aqua jogging was in keeping up your running endurance, just a thought ... at least you can bike and run.  Hope Yvonne's foot is healing up. I'll try to get caught up on everyone's logs over the next few days.

And best of luck to Helen this weekend in her HIM.  Anyone else racing?? 

Hope everyone is having a great week!

2009-07-29 8:11 PM
in reply to: #2300637

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
NoSit - 2009-07-21 11:26 PM So, I'm sorry I've been away. I had pre-race jitters and the best way to deal with them, for me, is to bury myself in other stuff so I don't think about it. I tend to be a bit obsessive sometimes.So, I got my first Ironman finisher's medal for the Vineman 70.3! It was a long,hot day, but the bike ride was so beautiful I enjoyed every minute of it. The volunteers & spectators kept commenting on the big grin on my face! The run, not so much! I got a lot more, "Keep it up, you're almost there!" type comments there - haha! And, I got to talk to Sister Madonna Buder! A real triathlon celebrity. She races Vineman to qualify for a Kona slot, apparently and she asked my sister and me about the swim course before the start. It was exciting in a silly, geeky sort of way.Keep up the great work everyone - I'm proud of all of us and we are definitely capable of more than we think we are on any given day!Thanks so much for all your support and I'll be back in the conversation again, promise.Trish

Trish, congrats on such an accomplishment!! Sounds like you had a great time ... I bet you are still grinning!
2009-07-29 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2314961

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
MDHillSlug - 2009-07-30 12:49 AM

A bit of disappointing news today. I've been dealing with right heel pain since the beginning of June and then later started experiencing pain in the ball of my left foot. I've been doing ice and anti-inflammatories and have backed off on the frequency and distance of my running. While this has helped some, I've failed to get better. After yesterday's awful, painful run I decided I should have my foot doc take a look. I just saw him this morning and he says that I have inflammation in both places (the left is likely due to compensation from the right) and that I should not run for 2 weeks. After the two weeks I'm to start back to running slowly and carefully. It's not an awful time for this since I don't have another tri until Sep13, but that one is my first oly and I've still never run 10k. I knew that this was a likely outcome of seeing him but I was hoping he'd just shoot me up with cortisone and let me keep running. I just received a copy of "Evolution Running", so when I get back to running hopefully I can get away from injury!

Bummer Nicole. Any idea what triggered the heel pains? Were you trying to make changes to your running form? One note: the piriformis muscle can refer pain to the heal of your foot.
2009-07-29 8:30 PM
in reply to: #2316276

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
dcon - 2009-07-29 9:19 PM
MDHillSlug - 2009-07-30 12:49 AM A bit of disappointing news today. I've been dealing with right heel pain since the beginning of June and then later started experiencing pain in the ball of my left foot. I've been doing ice and anti-inflammatories and have backed off on the frequency and distance of my running. While this has helped some, I've failed to get better. After yesterday's awful, painful run I decided I should have my foot doc take a look. I just saw him this morning and he says that I have inflammation in both places (the left is likely due to compensation from the right) and that I should not run for 2 weeks. After the two weeks I'm to start back to running slowly and carefully. It's not an awful time for this since I don't have another tri until Sep13, but that one is my first oly and I've still never run 10k. I knew that this was a likely outcome of seeing him but I was hoping he'd just shoot me up with cortisone and let me keep running. I just received a copy of "Evolution Running", so when I get back to running hopefully I can get away from injury!
Bummer Nicole. Any idea what triggered the heel pains? Were you trying to make changes to your running form? One note: the piriformis muscle can refer pain to the heal of your foot.

When I first started running I had a natural midfoot strike going. However, I noticed in the spring that I seemed to be going to more of a heel strike. This wasn't anything I was consciously doing, but rather something that just seemed to be happening. I thought it a bit curious but didn't think it was something to be concerned about. I guess I was wrong.

Pretty much independent of this I became interested in the barefoot running movement and have tried to go back to a more mid/front of foot running form (while still wearing running shoes). Obviously, it wasn't enough/soon enough to fix my injury but I'm hoping it might help keep me injury free after I start back in.
2009-07-29 8:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

Oh, I wish I was more computer literate ... trying to upload a picture, ugh!

Edited by lufferly 2009-07-29 8:47 PM
2009-07-29 10:09 PM
in reply to: #2316312

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

lufferly - 2009-07-29 6:44 PM
Oh, I wish I was more computer literate ... trying to upload a picture, ugh!

is it because of its size? I can step you thru the procedure if you like!?!  you will be a pro and then get to show off all your travels/tris....let me know if you want help.

2009-07-30 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Anyone racing this weekend?  I know Julie IN is doing a 5K and Helen is doing her HIM -- GOOD LUCK!!!

2009-07-30 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2317543

Veteran

Yup- my big w'end!!! And getting a tad nervous!! Although I did the race last yr- it was turned into a du because of riptides. Hopefully I won't get too beaten up in the swim- I am in an early wave ( ie 3)- which is good- but as well that means 1800 peeps or so have the oppurtunity to swim over me!! Lets hope those fast swimmers are kind!!

-Helen

2009-07-30 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2317589

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

HelenR - 2009-07-30 10:39 AM

Yup- my big w'end!!! And getting a tad nervous!! Although I did the race last yr- it was turned into a du because of riptides. Hopefully I won't get too beaten up in the swim- I am in an early wave ( ie 3)- which is good- but as well that means 1800 peeps or so have the oppurtunity to swim over me!! Lets hope those fast swimmers are kind!!

-Helen

GOOOOOO HELEN GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! nice consistent swim strokes...make sure if it is bigger waves that as soon as the wave passes you view your buoy! you will do fine....if any of those swimmers give you grief make sure to just give them a big whack with your foot...that will keep them from swimming over you! GOOD LUCK! have a really fun race. Can we watch you if we know your bib number while you are on the course?? if so, what is your bib number?

2009-07-30 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2318149

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Girl Passing on Left - 2009-07-30 1:55 PM

HelenR - 2009-07-30 10:39 AM

-Helen

GOOOOOO HELEN GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! nice consistent swim strokes...make sure if it is bigger waves that as soon as the wave passes you view your buoy! you will do fine....if any of those swimmers give you grief make sure to just give them a big whack with your foot...that will keep them from swimming over you! GOOD LUCK! have a really fun race. Can we watch you if we know your bib number while you are on the course?? if so, what is your bib number?

one way to shatter time records...is to do all legs at once:

HAVE FUN!!!!!

2009-07-30 5:22 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Good luck Helen!!

2009-07-30 8:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana

MY Lyssa got knocked up !   I'm gonna be an auntie too !! YEAH
Nicole, so sorry about your foot, oh that is so frustrating !!!
Julie HI !!!!!! so glad you are back, and honestly I have been BAD with logging and visiting too ! I am on facebook too much !lol
Hugs to you all !
Oh I race on Saturday a 5k, low fever and feeling uck today.........this ought to be interresting ! however I have a breakfast date with a friend afterward so  woohoo !

2009-07-30 11:23 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB

Just wanted to pop by to say a few words...
Good luck to Helen and Julie this weekend!
Congrats to Dan on signing up for the Oly- you will be great...I too have been trying out the wetsuit thing and while I wouldn't say I have it mastered yet, my tips would be to get lots of practice- if you can do conscutive days, it would help- if you've skied consecutive days, you know what I mean, also, just relax and take advantage of the buoyancy to do a good glide. Once I got the glide figured out, it actually helped me in the pool.
Congrats to Karen on your sale and purchase- exciting times!
Congrats to Trish on your fantastic result.
Sorry Nicole to hear about your injury- all I can say, is be patient and trust that you have the endurance to complete the run from your strong cycling. My coach and doc both said to either water run/use the elliptical/ or cycle whenever you are scheduled to run.
Alyssa- sorry to hear what you have been going through, do take care of yourself and your new little baby bump. Congratulations!
Julie, I hope that you are well- big hugs go out to you, our fearless leader.

hugs to everyone...

2009-07-31 6:12 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Good luck with your 5K Julie!!!
2009-07-31 6:14 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Nice to hear from you Yvonne, but you did not tell us how your ankle is doing.

I wish I could get in lots of time in the open water, but between the weather and the travel time to get there, it is tough. I struggled again today (see my logs). At the end, I tried swimming with only the wetsuit bottom (bibjohn) and it felt much improved. I'm going to start with that approach next time.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  

of 168