BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-10-19 2:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Here is the video

Edited by b2b14 2015-10-19 2:10 PM

Attachments
----------------
finish.MOV (614KB - 9 downloads)

2015-10-19 2:23 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

, Vermont
Well done, Scott and Jeremy!!!
That is so great!! Nice race report! I had no idea you needed runners to get to T1 at this race, that's interesting! I'm interested in looking up the course for this race - maybe a fun destination race...
2015-10-19 3:44 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Wow - kick a$$ both of you guys!!!! Way to close out the season!

The wife is looking at making the B2B half a destination race next year - will let you know as things progress over the winter.
2015-10-19 4:28 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

I'm already planning to do it next year so hopefully I can see y'all there
2015-10-19 4:28 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Well done Scott and Jeremy!! Reading race reports are great to understand simple details that can make your race much better - or relax a bit (nothing happens for stopping to reach out for a water bottle...) - congrats!

Juan
2015-10-19 7:41 PM
in reply to: Shakeybear

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Shakeybear

NAME: My Dad was always called Shakey, it is a shortening of our family surname. I'm Shakey (my brother never was,surprisingly) . My son is fondly called 'Bear' - so, here I am on here, Shakeybear.

STORY : Around 3 years ago I was completely unfit, my wife has always gone to the gym, and played competitive sports. I had got to a stage when I was struggling to run after a football in the park. I have never had a weight issue, but noticed my trousers getting tighter. So I joined the local gym. It is where my wife goes, I just went in after work and signed up. It was really difficult.
A work colleague had suffered a rather bad motorcycle accident, and was recovering, both physically and mentally. One evening he rang me and said he'd seen a cycle trip - Munich to VEnice, and asked me if I wanted to do it with him. I said yes. (maybe it was the bottle of Zinfandel talking).i didn't own a bike at the time and hadn't ridden for 30 years. But, I had been going to the gym for a couple of months, so how hard could it be?
It was really hard!
As things turned out he wasn't allowed to ride, but I completed the trip. It was the hardest physical thing I'd ever done - but I was hooked.
A trip across Italy followed, Venice to Lucca..
In January this year I signed up for my first sprint tri. I found an event the day before my 49th birthday.
First time in the pool, I managed about a length, before I thought I would die!
But, I joined the local tri club, and started to swim. After a couple of months I was almost getting it.
With great family support I set about some hard training. The first tri went okay, but what a fantastic experience.
My second followed a few months after.

FAMILY: I live in the UK with my amazing wife and two kids. I have an older daughter who lives near me.

TRAINING: I constantly smell of chlorine, I own more trainers than shoes, and non have proper laces. I swim twice a week with tri club. Spin classes are local too. I get great support from a member of staff at my local gym. I try to get on my bike once a week with a local cycle club.

PLANS: I have signed up for a mile swim in July next year, and a half marathon in October. My A race next year will be a HIM somewhere warm in September. I'll be adding some stepping stones along the way too.

I run my first HM tomorrow.

BEER. Peroni. I also have a passion for cooking Italian food.

WEIGHT: it was never about weight loss for me. It's been more about getting healthy, a lifestyle change. A challenge, and most of all friendships.

Hope this is okay DAve, and thanks for welcoming me

Let me officially welcome you Shakeybear! How did your half mary go?

2015-10-19 7:44 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

Another race is in the books! Here is the race report for the half-marathon I ran on Sunday. My third time running the race however the course had some modifications that added a bit of challenge. All in all a good Race and I'm still a little sore. Next HM is just a couple of weeks away, hopefully my thighs recover as the next run has a bunch of hills.

Recent beer: Stone Brewing has their latest batch of "Enjoy By" IPA available until October 31st, bright hops and well balanced malt make for a delicious brew.

Mark - you are a machine!
2015-10-19 7:58 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
OK - I'm sorry people for being MIA for so long. Ive been busy at my new job and life is just hectic!

But I'm back and I'm gonna make a promise. If I go more than two days without checking in and cheering on my fellow BDASers on - I'll earn a CLP (coors lite penalty for those of you who are new).

OK - here's a brief update... I've pulled my calf... DId it two weeks ago when doing hill repeats in preperation for my half mary in three weeks. I babied it for 2 weeks and pulled it again yesterday after 30 minutes of running. It's not terrrible but I aint got time for that! So, no running this week - but I plan on hitting the bike hard and will aqua jog like it's my job. I plan on getting up tomorrow at 4:30 to make it happen.

Other big news - I was so inspired by Scott that I signed up for IM Maryland next October. So, its on. To make it happen - I need to lose 50 pounds and I'm gonna try to do it before running Boston in April. I'm gonna need some accountability but it will be worth it. As Scott, Charles, and Alan (did I leave anyone out), the ecstacy of crossing an IM finish line makes it totally worth it.

Prost!
2015-10-20 12:07 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

, Vermont
Whoop! Whoop!! You go, Dave!!! Totally inspired now!! I can't wait to follow your journey!!
2015-10-20 12:42 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Scott, I saw the finish video, you look fresh! How did you do it? PT? Any BT plan or any other? I am starting to plan 2016 season and thinking of doing 2 HIM, and may be a full IM, but still not sure about if I will have enough time to train.
Dave, what training plan you have in mind?

Juan
2015-10-20 7:46 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Juan - I followed the "Iron Fit" competitive plan. Its a good book and breaks down the workouts fairly well. I missed quite a few workouts, mostly runs. I think if I really buckle down I can get into or maybe break 12 hrs. I walked a lot of my second 13.1 miles and know if I had trained like I should have I would have PR'd the marathon part. I am sold on the walk/run method.

Dave - I am looking at Maryland also but 58 degree water I'm not a fan of. If I do that Raleigh and B2B halves I think that will round out my race calendar. I will do a few sprints but nothing much else. Already doing dopey in Jan and a half marathon in Jan and April. Seems like a lot when you put it all together.

I am planning to start lifting this week and adding stretching into my daily routine to get ready for next year.

2015-10-20 3:48 PM
in reply to: #5147783

User image

, Vermont
Walk/run is key! Glad you had a good experience with it, Scott!

I finally got off my duff today! Yea! It's been a while so I just did everything moderately. I had a nice 1000yd swim this morning that felt like I was swimming through jello; and the outside temps inched into the high 50's so I finally got the bike out for the first time since the race! It was a nice ride, very windy, but it just felt good to get out. I only went for 45 minutes but being that I've fallen out of shape it was good. I'm back, baby!!!! Hahaha.

PT has kicked up a notch and I'm working on shoulders (one is higher than the other and I'm very round shouldered...I'm just a bent up body...aka a PT's dream patient because I never go away). I am sore. Hahaha
Tomorrow I go back to Fit Werx to have a shim put in my regular bike shoes and maybe do a tri bike fit.....he's got a Cervelo P2 for a nice price I'm ogling... There's also a Felt that's way out of my price range but we shall see what the fit says and which frames will work for me. ??. I'm not getting a bike tomorrow but I'll at least have my numbers so if I see something that works for me and is in my price range I can pull the trigger. Of course I'm keeping in mind that I really need to work on the engine the most....and get an aero helmet.....and some Flo's....is there no end? Hahaha. But the engine is the most important part.

Cheers all! Endorphins = a happy Jenn
2015-10-20 4:37 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Thanks Scott - got the book, actually bought it first, and then got the Iron Fit Secrets, that got me through the HIM and really enjoyed it. Glad to hear you found it not only useful, but enough (as the "skeleton" of your training). Still looking for races for 2016.....

Juan
2015-10-20 4:38 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

New user
Madrid
Dangerous -and fun- steps....start getting your cash ready, you're almost there!

Juan
2015-10-20 9:05 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

Juan - I followed the "Iron Fit" competitive plan. Its a good book and breaks down the workouts fairly well. I missed quite a few workouts, mostly runs. I think if I really buckle down I can get into or maybe break 12 hrs. I walked a lot of my second 13.1 miles and know if I had trained like I should have I would have PR'd the marathon part. I am sold on the walk/run method.

Dave - I am looking at Maryland also but 58 degree water I'm not a fan of. If I do that Raleigh and B2B halves I think that will round out my race calendar. I will do a few sprints but nothing much else. Already doing dopey in Jan and a half marathon in Jan and April. Seems like a lot when you put it all together.

I am planning to start lifting this week and adding stretching into my daily routine to get ready for next year.

Scott - You are a busy man! Glad to see you've got the bug! BUt your gonna need to by a new medal rack for all the hardware you going to bring home.

As for stretching - check out this youtube video. (I apologize in advance for objectifying woman but I'm sure there is a male equivalent). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRr1ZUBoUTE
2015-10-20 9:07 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Walk/run is key! Glad you had a good experience with it, Scott!

I finally got off my duff today! Yea! It's been a while so I just did everything moderately. I had a nice 1000yd swim this morning that felt like I was swimming through jello; and the outside temps inched into the high 50's so I finally got the bike out for the first time since the race! It was a nice ride, very windy, but it just felt good to get out. I only went for 45 minutes but being that I've fallen out of shape it was good. I'm back, baby!!!! Hahaha.

PT has kicked up a notch and I'm working on shoulders (one is higher than the other and I'm very round shouldered...I'm just a bent up body...aka a PT's dream patient because I never go away). I am sore. Hahaha
Tomorrow I go back to Fit Werx to have a shim put in my regular bike shoes and maybe do a tri bike fit.....he's got a Cervelo P2 for a nice price I'm ogling... There's also a Felt that's way out of my price range but we shall see what the fit says and which frames will work for me. ??. I'm not getting a bike tomorrow but I'll at least have my numbers so if I see something that works for me and is in my price range I can pull the trigger. Of course I'm keeping in mind that I really need to work on the engine the most....and get an aero helmet.....and some Flo's....is there no end? Hahaha. But the engine is the most important part.

Cheers all! Endorphins = a happy Jenn

Nice work Jenn! Better get in those workouts now before we're knee deep in snow! Enjoy your shopping trip!

2015-10-20 9:14 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Juancho

Scott, I saw the finish video, you look fresh! How did you do it? PT? Any BT plan or any other? I am starting to plan 2016 season and thinking of doing 2 HIM, and may be a full IM, but still not sure about if I will have enough time to train.
Dave, what training plan you have in mind?

Juan

Good question... I will probably follow the plan my PT came up with that has a three week cycle - two weeks hard and then a week of recovery.

I am a firm believer that you need to find a race distance that works for you. If you're a busy guy - then there is nothing wrong with doing sprints or half irons. Again - whatever works and makes you happy.

I will say this though - the time required to train for a IM is what makes crossing the finish line so special - because you know all that has gone into accomplishing that goal. I figured that it took me more than 800 hours over the course of a year to train for IMMT - that's 2x the time I spent earning my Eagle Scout award just to put it in prospective. You reap what you sow... But then again - if you're too busy than it's not the right race distance for you at this point in your journey.

I figure that you could finish a IM with 10-15 hours of training per week minimum. Good luck with finding a race that works for you!
2015-10-21 3:13 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Great job, Scott!

2015-10-21 7:53 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
I’ve got a favor to ask you.

Now that I’ve signed up for Ironman Maryland next October, I’m trying to lose 45 pounds, so I can gain some speed and avoid injury. I’d like to lose the weight between now and when I run the Boston Marathon in April. Here’s how you can help.

To hold me accountable - Heidi is creating a paper chain (like the ones we used to make when we were kids). For every pound I lose, ‘ll rip off a link from the chain. I’d like you to write me a small note with some encouragement and inspiration to keep me going. Heidi will use those to make the chain. My rationale - if I don’t lose the weight and earn the right to read your note, then I will have let both of us down.

Please send the note to [email protected]

Thanks a ton!

DQ
2015-10-22 5:59 AM
in reply to: #5147924

User image

, Vermont
Very cool idea, Dave! I'll get on it!

Soooooo.......I could soon be the proud new owner of either a Felt IA4 or Cervelo P3.....leaning toward the Felt....can't compete in sanctioned bike races with the Felt though (not sure about the P3)...but I don't bike race so I'm thinking this isn't an issue and I don't think the local TT guys would care.
2015-10-22 6:16 AM
in reply to: #5148267

User image

Expert
Jenn - doesn't Maranda Caffrey ride a Felt? If it's good enough for one bad@ss, it's good enough for our fav. BA from BA ??

2015-10-22 10:38 AM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Qua17

Jenn - doesn't Maranda Caffrey ride a Felt? If it's good enough for one bad, it's good enough for our fav. BA from BA ??

She does. Felts have won Kona for the last 2 or 3 years. (well, the engines on the Felts, but it certainly gives the brand a boost)
They are currently setting the bike up to my numbers. I get to hug it at 13:00..... Introductions to follow...

It was funny, I commented to someone that I didn't deserve this bike, that I'm not good enough for it. His comment was, would you ever say a car is too good for you or a pair of skis is too good for you? (actually some skis I would) Both a good point and a good salesman. Definitely incentive though to really work hard on the bike. I don't want to be that person others are happy to pass because I'm on this bike. I know I feel that way when I pass tri bikes when I'm on my roadie. hahaha.
Eeek!
2015-10-22 12:12 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

I’ve got a favor to ask you.

Now that I’ve signed up for Ironman Maryland next October, I’m trying to lose 45 pounds, so I can gain some speed and avoid injury. I’d like to lose the weight between now and when I run the Boston Marathon in April. Here’s how you can help.

To hold me accountable - Heidi is creating a paper chain (like the ones we used to make when we were kids). For every pound I lose, ‘ll rip off a link from the chain. I’d like you to write me a small note with some encouragement and inspiration to keep me going. Heidi will use those to make the chain. My rationale - if I don’t lose the weight and earn the right to read your note, then I will have let both of us down.

Please send the note to [email protected]

Thanks a ton!

DQ

Done!
2015-10-22 12:19 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Jenn - doesn't Maranda Caffrey ride a Felt? If it's good enough for one bad, it's good enough for our fav. BA from BA ??

She does. Felts have won Kona for the last 2 or 3 years. (well, the engines on the Felts, but it certainly gives the brand a boost)
They are currently setting the bike up to my numbers. I get to hug it at 13:00..... Introductions to follow...

It was funny, I commented to someone that I didn't deserve this bike, that I'm not good enough for it. His comment was, would you ever say a car is too good for you or a pair of skis is too good for you? (actually some skis I would) Both a good point and a good salesman. Definitely incentive though to really work hard on the bike. I don't want to be that person others are happy to pass because I'm on this bike. I know I feel that way when I pass tri bikes when I'm on my roadie. hahaha.
Eeek!

Can't wait to hear how you like it!

One of my new favorite distractions at work (since I'm in my last two days at the current job - YAY!) is to look at Tri bikes online. This was one of my first thoughts - that people would try so hard to pass me just to pass a guy on a fancy aero bike. Then I wasn't worried about that, because they should be pushing their limits anyway and if for some reason they burn extra just to pass me, I can pass them back,

then I thought about the people on roadies who are just that fast and going to pass me. But, they'd pass me on my roadie just the same, so why should I feel different about it based on what bike I'm on? Like if you're on a hybrid I suppose it gives you an excuse for getting passed, but either way - getting passed still sucks, right?

You are a bad a$$ and would rock the crap out of a bad a$$ bike. Also - you can STILL be happy when passing tri bikes if you are on a tri bike! All the better if it's a really 'spensive one...

Can't wait to see pics of it when it's yours -
2015-10-22 4:25 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

, Vermont
I would like to formally introduce you to Vader...
Picture 2 is the Felt brothers - Vader and the Green Arrow. (nerd alert)
No, I have't ridden Vader outside yet - only on the trainer. I just brought him home today and it's blowing like crazy out there.

(Vader big pic.jpg)

(The Felt brothers 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Vader big pic.jpg (834KB - 7 downloads)
The Felt brothers 2.jpg (844KB - 5 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 56090 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.