BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 168

2009-08-10 4:48 PM
in reply to: #2336244

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: RE: Girl Passing on Left (FULL)

Sledge - 2009-08-08 5:28 PM

Happy Saturday everyone!  I hope you are all having a good one.  I raced a 5K today, and the heat was really intense.  But I had an ok race, and did manage to bring home some hardware -- second in my AG.  The woman who beat me equaled my 5K PR, and she did it in this blasted heat!  So I'm mostly happy with my race today because there is no way I could have run the race she ran.  But there's that competitive spirit that doesn't let me say that I'm completely happy.  I guess it will make me work that much harder next time! 

We keep talking about another 6-8 weeks of this heat.  I used to be a sun worshipper, but I am so ready for this to end.  Or maybe it could be cool overnight, then warm (or hot) during the day?  Who can I make a deal with?  

CONGRATS ON YOUR RACE! 2nd is fabulous! bet you had a ton of younger girls that you whooped up on too! the heat sux! sorry you are having such a hot spell...hope it cools for you soon...meanwhile, I guess you and I are going to have to go swim more til it cools! Ill go if you go! deal?

2009-08-10 4:50 PM
in reply to: #2334538

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-08-07 11:12 AM Hi all,

It seems like a while since I've reported in. Everything with my training seems a bit boring right now and I feel like I have nothing to report on and nothing much to add to the conversation.

I've just gone a week without running, hoping that my feet are improving and that I'll be able to start running again late next week. I've purchased and watched the "Evolution Running" dvd hoping to learn proper forefoot-strike running form, hoping that this will help keep me injury free and moving forward.

I've got a relay tri coming up on the 23rd (Iron Girl) where I will be the swimmer. It's a huge race and the relays go off in the last wave, more and 1.5 hrs after the first wave starts; there will definitely be people finishing the race before I get out of the water (maybe even before I start). Thankfully, my tri club will have a tent set up where we'll be able to hang out.

we are ALWAYS glad to hear from you...doesnt have to be all training! hope that you heal soon....no that you will do great in the swim portion...you have become quite the BIG fishy lately! GOOD LUCK!

2009-08-10 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2336347

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-08-08 7:12 PM I had an interesting and fun morning & early afternoon. Today was my tri group's "Brick-n-Pic", a run-bike-run, followed by a picnic. The whole thing was preceded by some of us cleaning the mile stretch of road the group has adopted. The cleaning started around 8:30 and the brick-n-pic started about 10. Since I'm not supposed to run I skipped the first run and then did a double dose of biking in the Iron Girl route and the Columbia Tri route. Then it was time for the food: burgers, hot dogs, fruit, veggies, etc. So, good rides, good company, good food, good time!

we all need to do a bric n pic! the community gets cleaned, you get to meet and train with others and nothing better then good eats! sounds like good times. sounds like you found a good tri club. I need to join one....you may just have inspired me!

2009-08-10 4:59 PM
in reply to: #2336984

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

maxmansmom - 2009-08-09 1:02 PM Well other than swim 2wice a week I have scared myself that I have done no bike and no run lately. SCARED !
So, I am going to see if my mama will watch Lexi for me while I run or bike in the mornings. I have waited until evening but that always gets dh and I crooked wehn I am gone evenings and he can't do anything for himself.
So trying to work in a new schedule and really really not sure if I want to do the 13.1 .  I mean I wanted to learnto swim/bike and run, I wanted to do a tri, I do not want to do this 13.1.
I'd like to be done with and and know I did it, but I do not want to do it.
So I am not sure if I should force myself to do it or just not do it at all ??????? I am freaking out !!!

you can do it...just find a training coop or create one....maybe you sit for someone that has a child on tuesdays...and wednesdays they sit for you....my mom used to do this...that way she had time for herself....or the gym will watch your child right? can you spin a few times a week and then ride one night..surely your dh will watch one nite for you...wont he? just bat those big brown eyes of yours at him! surely that will work!

2009-08-10 5:04 PM
in reply to: #2337187

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

HelenR - 2009-08-09 3:51 PM

Hello friends!!

- well- one week since my HIM- have had a week of post race R&R, post race food binging ( you know- all that stuff you shouldn't have prior to a race- ie- candy, pizza, beer to more candy, pizza and beer- ha ha...) Thought about doing a local sprint race- but thought again- and nope. Nutiriton has been so off thisweek- body feels like crap. Anyway- holdiays are done, back to work tomorrow and back to the ole, welcome grind- of good eating, work and trng!! Body should feel better in 48 hrs- hope I can get all this sugar out of me!!

-Helen

congrats on your recent two HIM finishes Helen!

back to work....SAY IT AINT SO!?!?! hope you have a great day/week!

2009-08-10 5:06 PM
in reply to: #2336614

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

lufferly - 2009-08-09 6:10 AM Sounds like everyone is having a fun-filled weekend. Congrats on your race, Cheri. We may actually get some rain this afternoon ... but we'll see.  Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

rain...? cant believe that it has not rained for you guys this summer! usually when I am there they come daily! do you need me to make a visit to my parents soon so it will rain daily!?

2009-08-11 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2339767

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-10 5:06 PM

lufferly - 2009-08-09 6:10 AM Sounds like everyone is having a fun-filled weekend. Congrats on your race, Cheri. We may actually get some rain this afternoon ... but we'll see.  Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

rain...? cant believe that it has not rained for you guys this summer! usually when I am there they come daily! do you need me to make a visit to my parents soon so it will rain daily!?

Ha, maybe you do need to come and visit if you will bring the rain. I ran tonight at 9 pm and it was 91 degrees.  It's now 10:30 pm and has cooled off to 90 degrees.  I was so ready for summer to get here and now I'm so ready for it to get cooler.  I'm not usually this hard to please ... but it's been a really long hot dry (unless you count the humidity) summer.
2009-08-12 12:00 PM
in reply to: #2343027

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

lufferly - 2009-08-11 8:29 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-10 5:06 PM

Ha, maybe you do need to come and visit if you will bring the rain. I ran tonight at 9 pm and it was 91 degrees.  It's now 10:30 pm and has cooled off to 90 degrees.  I was so ready for summer to get here and now I'm so ready for it to get cooler.  I'm not usually this hard to please ... but it's been a really long hot dry (unless you count the humidity) summer.

that stinks! cant believe no rain! hope you get some soon...

I am planning on a mid october trip to see my parents...that is when my work slows and I can spend a good few weeks to a month helping my mom with my dad who is now in hospice. So hoping it rains before then for you! way to get out and run in 90+ degree weather and at that hour! YOU GO GIRL!  stay cool....go for a swim in your pool! or better yet grab a float and go hang in the pool with a nice toddy! and hey...I ll be right overto join you!!

2009-08-12 4:05 PM
in reply to: #1863539

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
I have decided ! Finally offically decided to NOT do the mini in October.  I jumped in and was all ready for it but when I found out it was around 3 hours ish ............I was much less interrested.   I do like to swim/bike and run (some........the run part) but that much is just not my thing.  I did wrestle with it, I was failing if I did not meet a goal etc, but I totally quit doing everything there for awhile and it was kinda like I was just not interrested.
NOW that I decided not to do it, I am back at the gym with a new goal !  I am going to attach strength, toning...... also my swim /bike run.  The 13.1 is just not my bag and I'm ok with that.
I gotta say thanks to all who supported me and to Cheri who kept up with me on fb to inspire me and to help me just get real. 
SO, happy again to be wrestle free of the decision. I said on facebook maybe bikini by 2010 ?........LOL
2009-08-12 5:10 PM
in reply to: #2344754

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

maxmansmom - 2009-08-12 2:05 PM I have decided ! Finally offically decided to NOT do the mini in October.  I jumped in and was all ready for it but when I found out it was around 3 hours ish ............I was much less interrested.   I do like to swim/bike and run (some........the run part) but that much is just not my thing.  I did wrestle with it, I was failing if I did not meet a goal etc, but I totally quit doing everything there for awhile and it was kinda like I was just not interrested.
NOW that I decided not to do it, I am back at the gym with a new goal !  I am going to attach strength, toning...... also my swim /bike run.  The 13.1 is just not my bag and I'm ok with that.
I gotta say thanks to all who supported me and to Cheri who kept up with me on fb to inspire me and to help me just get real. 
SO, happy again to be wrestle free of the decision. I said on facebook maybe bikini by 2010 ?........LOL

you have to do what will make you happy and keep you motivated...glad you figured it out Jules! not everyone is made to run...and if it means not doing the olympic...big deal...im quite happy doing my mini tris....hope you have a good weekend....

bikins in 2010~ you go girl! no one would want to EVER see this OlD gal in one again! haha that could be rahter frightnening! well let me reword that...IT WOULD be rather frightening!

2009-08-13 12:12 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Hi,

My 2 week restriction on running is over and I have my first oly tri in just over 4 weeks. Unfortunately, I don't think the rest has lead to any real improvement in my foot issues. I can still feel the aches when doing normal things like walking, although they are less. I'll be trying a run on Saturday but I have little confidence that I'm all better. Since there's no way I'm not doing this triathlon, what do I do? I'm not very keen on the idea of walking 6.2 miles and I don't know if I could make myself take a DNF   Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised but I won't be expecting it.

I see my doc again in the last week of August

Edited by MDHillSlug 2009-08-13 12:13 PM

2009-08-13 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2346532

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-08-13 10:12 AM Hi,

My 2 week restriction on running is over and I have my first oly tri in just over 4 weeks. Unfortunately, I don't think the rest has lead to any real improvement in my foot issues. I can still feel the aches when doing normal things like walking, although they are less. I'll be trying a run on Saturday but I have little confidence that I'm all better. Since there's no way I'm not doing this triathlon, what do I do? I'm not very keen on the idea of walking 6.2 miles and I don't know if I could make myself take a DNF   Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised but I won't be expecting it.

I see my doc again in the last week of August

sorry that your not improving...hope your run on Saturday proves you wrong.
4 weeks is still a long way away and even if you can not train...get it healed and run what you can and walk the rest...good luck on the run Sat!

2009-08-13 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Julie CA, I'm not sure we can wait until October for you to bring the rain!  But I ran before 6 pm this evening and it was only 85 degrees and sprinking! Ha ... not even enough to get the ground wet.  The storms just keep skirting around us.

Julie IN, glad that you have come up with a plan that will work for you. Last year when I decided to do my half mary, it was a way to force myself to get out and run, since I hated it so much. Never in a million years would I have thought I could do it, and really enjoy it. As long as you have a goal to keep you motivated and having fun, that's all that matters.

Nicole, do you think you should take another week off to give your foot a little more time to heal? It's worrisome that it still bothers you even when you are walking. You've got the base, you'll be ready for your oly if you're foot is up to it.

Amy, good luck on your tri this weekend?  Anyone else racing?
2009-08-14 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2347508

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

lufferly - 2009-08-13 5:45 PM Julie CA, I'm not sure we can wait until October for you to bring the rain!  But I ran before 6 pm this evening and it was only 85 degrees and sprinking! Ha ... not even enough to get the ground wet.  The storms just keep skirting around us.

Julie IN, glad that you have come up with a plan that will work for you. Last year when I decided to do my half mary, it was a way to force myself to get out and run, since I hated it so much. Never in a million years would I have thought I could do it, and really enjoy it. As long as you have a goal to keep you motivated and having fun, that's all that matters.

Nicole, do you think you should take another week off to give your foot a little more time to heal? It's worrisome that it still bothers you even when you are walking. You've got the base, you'll be ready for your oly if you're foot is up to it.

Amy, good luck on your tri this weekend?  Anyone else racing?

85 and sprinkles is not tooo bad....have you tried doing a rain dance, Lisa???

2009-08-14 9:51 PM

User image

Veteran
British Columbia

Hi everyone...

Julee...I love your avatar (lol).  I keep watching it over and over again.

Julie...No matter what you decide, you're a winner to me.  You have come soooo far this past year.  You can be very proud.

Amy...Good luck this weekend.  Here's a BIG HUG coming your way.  You're an inspiration.

Nicole...you take care of that foot.  It's better to take a few more weeks off and completely recover than risk further damage.

Lisa...I am doing a little rain dance for you.  For the most part, it's been very dry and hot here too.  Lots of forest fires.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.  I hope to get out to do at least a short run or bike ride between organizing and packing things.  I can't believe how much stuff you accumulate over the years!  41 sleeps until moving day!

Take care...

2009-08-14 9:56 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
I've decided to do a little run/walk tomorrow and then figure out where I am, if I can push through or if I need to take another week off.

2009-08-15 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2350039

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

kew - 2009-08-14 7:51 PM

Hi everyone...

Julee...I love your avatar (lol).  I keep watching it over and over again.

Julie...No matter what you decide, you're a winner to me.  You have come soooo far this past year.  You can be very proud.

Amy...Good luck this weekend.  Here's a BIG HUG coming your way.  You're an inspiration.

Nicole...you take care of that foot.  It's better to take a few more weeks off and completely recover than risk further damage.

Lisa...I am doing a little rain dance for you.  For the most part, it's been very dry and hot here too.  Lots of forest fires.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.  I hope to get out to do at least a short run or bike ride between organizing and packing things.  I can't believe how much stuff you accumulate over the years!  41 sleeps until moving day!

Take care...

good to hear from you Karen.....when is the big moving day?

2009-08-15 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2350043

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-08-14 7:56 PM I've decided to do a little run/walk tomorrow and then figure out where I am, if I can push through or if I need to take another week off.

good luck there Nicole...hope that things feel good and you can start back in...

sounds like you are being very smart about not re-injuring it!

look forward to your update.

2009-08-15 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2350499

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-15 2:37 PM

MDHillSlug - 2009-08-14 7:56 PM I've decided to do a little run/walk tomorrow and then figure out where I am, if I can push through or if I need to take another week off.

good luck there Nicole...hope that things feel good and you can start back in...

Well, I did a 2 mile workout, 2 min walk/2 min run. It felt pretty much like it felt before the rest, except not so much so. In other words, the issues have lessened but have not gone away. I guess it's back to more rest before I try this again sigh...
2009-08-15 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2350595

User image

Veteran
British Columbia

Nicole...I feel for you.  You hang in there.

Julee...I move September 24th.  Can hardly wait. 

Having a hard time finding the time to get a workout in after work and I have to get up so darn early if I want to workout before I leave.  Going to try to find (no make the time) to go at least 3 times a week on my lunch break.

Hope everybody is having a good weekend.

2009-08-15 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2350595

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-08-15 12:34 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-15 2:37 PM

Well, I did a 2 mile workout, 2 min walk/2 min run. It felt pretty much like it felt before the rest, except not so much so. In other words, the issues have lessened but have not gone away. I guess it's back to more rest before I try this again sigh...

ahhhhhhhh that suxxxxxxx! sorry Nicole...my toes hurt from crossing them...so you would have a good run! hang in there! you are making the right decision...so many others would try and run thru the pain and end up damaging it more! can you still bike and swim?

2009-08-15 4:18 PM
in reply to: #2350649

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

kew - 2009-08-15 1:33 PM

Nicole...I feel for you.  You hang in there.

Julee...I move September 24th.  Can hardly wait. 

Having a hard time finding the time to get a workout in after work and I have to get up so darn early if I want to workout before I leave.  Going to try to find (no make the time) to go at least 3 times a week on my lunch break.

Hope everybody is having a good weekend.

ahhhh sweetie...moving is training...just cross training! I am tired for you! cant wait to see the new casa! do you have movers helping you to move to the new location?

2009-08-16 4:27 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Hi everyone. I just finished a taperish kinda week. It did include two bricks (the swim/bike brick was no fun as the lake was really wavy - see my logs for the long version). I also got in a 10k run in pretty warm weather.

Quick question for those of you who have lots of swimming experience. I have done 1500 meters a few times now without stopping and 1000 meters a few times too. Every time I did this, I had a good 1000 meters of warm-up in until I felt like my breathing was right to do the longer swim. Anyone else have this kind of problem? Any suggestions on how to deal with it? I doubt I'm going to be able to get much time in the water before the tri starts, but I will try. They have some kind of opening ceremony from 8:30-9:00 and the race starts at 9:00.

Second question: if I do get into the water earlier - say like 8am - is it better to just go in without my wet suit? I don't want to end up wearing the wet suit for over an hour before the race starts.
2009-08-16 10:26 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
As the day wore on yesterday my feet started feeling worse and worse to the point where they ended up hurting more than ever before (the right heel more than the left forefoot). I definitely won't be running again this week and I don't know what I'll be able to do at all between now and my tri. I'm already scheduled to see my foot doc the last week of the month but I think I'll call tomorrow and see if I can move it up.

Yes, I can still bike and swim (although finding an open county pool to swim at is currently a challenge).

I guess I'll be well rested for the Oly.
2009-08-16 4:31 PM
in reply to: #2351219

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

dcon - 2009-08-16 2:27 AM Hi everyone. I just finished a taperish kinda week. It did include two bricks (the swim/bike brick was no fun as the lake was really wavy - see my logs for the long version). I also got in a 10k run in pretty warm weather. Quick question for those of you who have lots of swimming experience. I have done 1500 meters a few times now without stopping and 1000 meters a few times too. Every time I did this, I had a good 1000 meters of warm-up in until I felt like my breathing was right to do the longer swim. Anyone else have this kind of problem? Any suggestions on how to deal with it? I doubt I'm going to be able to get much time in the water before the tri starts, but I will try. They have some kind of opening ceremony from 8:30-9:00 and the race starts at 9:00. Second question: if I do get into the water earlier - say like 8am - is it better to just go in without my wet suit? I don't want to end up wearing the wet suit for over an hour before the race starts.

wow...nice job swimming in the choppy water...as for the warming up...some people do and if you find you can warm up for some time and still do the distance...I say go for it! It definitely will help you to relax...just like running and biking...it takes some time to reach that wall and find that comfort level...I would definitely have my suit on and be prepared...does yours zip..then you can open it up and pull it down to your waist and walk around before you get back in to race past your wave!

also you did just what they say to do ....fill up the suit with water when you are exiting..this will help to keep it from suctioning up to your body...and make it a TAD easier to get off...I still always struggle with mine! haha

when is your race? sounds like you have one soon with this brick and taper talk....?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  

of 168