BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 168

2009-08-16 4:32 PM
in reply to: #2351368

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: RE: Girl Passing on Left (FULL)

MDHillSlug - 2009-08-16 8:26 AM As the day wore on yesterday my feet started feeling worse and worse to the point where they ended up hurting more than ever before (the right heel more than the left forefoot). I definitely won't be running again this week and I don't know what I'll be able to do at all between now and my tri. I'm already scheduled to see my foot doc the last week of the month but I think I'll call tomorrow and see if I can move it up.

Yes, I can still bike and swim (although finding an open county pool to swim at is currently a challenge).

I guess I'll be well rested for the Oly.

good luck...quick healing and no more pain thoughts are heading your way! take care girl...thanks for the update...why are all  your pools closed?

2009-08-16 5:02 PM
in reply to: #2351755

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-17 6:31 AM

dcon - 2009-08-16 2:27 AM Hi everyone. I just finished a taperish kinda week. It did include two bricks (the swim/bike brick was no fun as the lake was really wavy - see my logs for the long version). I also got in a 10k run in pretty warm weather. Quick question for those of you who have lots of swimming experience. I have done 1500 meters a few times now without stopping and 1000 meters a few times too. Every time I did this, I had a good 1000 meters of warm-up in until I felt like my breathing was right to do the longer swim. Anyone else have this kind of problem? Any suggestions on how to deal with it? I doubt I'm going to be able to get much time in the water before the tri starts, but I will try. They have some kind of opening ceremony from 8:30-9:00 and the race starts at 9:00. Second question: if I do get into the water earlier - say like 8am - is it better to just go in without my wet suit? I don't want to end up wearing the wet suit for over an hour before the race starts.

wow...nice job swimming in the choppy water...as for the warming up...some people do and if you find you can warm up for some time and still do the distance...I say go for it! It definitely will help you to relax...just like running and biking...it takes some time to reach that wall and find that comfort level...I would definitely have my suit on and be prepared...does yours zip..then you can open it up and pull it down to your waist and walk around before you get back in to race past your wave!

also you did just what they say to do ....fill up the suit with water when you are exiting..this will help to keep it from suctioning up to your body...and make it a TAD easier to get off...I still always struggle with mine! haha

when is your race? sounds like you have one soon with this brick and taper talk....?

Thanks Julie. Oly on Aug 23. My wet suit is a two piece and I'm only planning to wear the bottom half - makes it very easy to get out of especially if I take it off right after coming out of the water. Since T1 is about 300 meters away, I'm going to take it off as soon as I come out.
2009-08-16 6:08 PM
in reply to: #2351368

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
MDHillSlug - 2009-08-17 12:26 AM

As the day wore on yesterday my feet started feeling worse and worse to the point where they ended up hurting more than ever before (the right heel more than the left forefoot). I definitely won't be running again this week and I don't know what I'll be able to do at all between now and my tri. I'm already scheduled to see my foot doc the last week of the month but I think I'll call tomorrow and see if I can move it up.

Yes, I can still bike and swim (although finding an open county pool to swim at is currently a challenge).

Sorry to hear that Nicole. Are you still experimenting with a forefoot strike? May want to go back to your old way of doing things.
2009-08-16 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2351790

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

dcon - 2009-08-16 3:02 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-17 6:31 AM

dcon - 2009-08-16 2:27 AM Hi everyone. I just finished a taperish kinda week. It did include two bricks (the swim/bike brick was no fun as the lake was really wavy - see my logs for the long version). I also got in a 10k run in pretty warm weather. Quick question for those of you who have lots of swimming experience. I have done 1500 meters a few times now without stopping and 1000 meters a few times too. Every time I did this, I had a good 1000 meters of warm-up in until I felt like my breathing was right to do the longer swim. Anyone else have this kind of problem? Any suggestions on how to deal with it? I doubt I'm going to be able to get much time in the water before the tri starts, but I will try. They have some kind of opening ceremony from 8:30-9:00 and the race starts at 9:00. Second question: if I do get into the water earlier - say like 8am - is it better to just go in without my wet suit? I don't want to end up wearing the wet suit for over an hour before the race starts.

wow...nice job swimming in the choppy water...as for the warming up...some people do and if you find you can warm up for some time and still do the distance...I say go for it! It definitely will help you to relax...just like running and biking...it takes some time to reach that wall and find that comfort level...I would definitely have my suit on and be prepared...does yours zip..then you can open it up and pull it down to your waist and walk around before you get back in to race past your wave!

also you did just what they say to do ....fill up the suit with water when you are exiting..this will help to keep it from suctioning up to your body...and make it a TAD easier to get off...I still always struggle with mine! haha

when is your race? sounds like you have one soon with this brick and taper talk....?

Thanks Julie. Oly on Aug 23. My wet suit is a two piece and I'm only planning to wear the bottom half - makes it very easy to get out of especially if I take it off right after coming out of the water. Since T1 is about 300 meters away, I'm going to take it off as soon as I come out.

smart man about removing your suit right after you exit...if you have someone you can throw it to right there ( like your sweet lil wifey) will save you from carrying it to T1 and having to fiddle with it!

Im soo excited for you...just remember to be calm in the water...long strides...and...just swim like you do in the pool...dont think about where you are...try and get on someones feet that swims about the same speed as you...and just follow him in...just make sure he is not off course! haha....have fun! good luck...god speed and all that stuff! Hope you have great conditions...cool...but not too cool and NOOOO wind!

2009-08-16 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2351757

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-16 5:32 PM

MDHillSlug - 2009-08-16 8:26 AM As the day wore on yesterday my feet started feeling worse and worse to the point where they ended up hurting more than ever before (the right heel more than the left forefoot). I definitely won't be running again this week and I don't know what I'll be able to do at all between now and my tri. I'm already scheduled to see my foot doc the last week of the month but I think I'll call tomorrow and see if I can move it up.

good luck...quick healing and no more pain thoughts are heading your way! take care girl...thanks for the update...why are all  your pools closed?

The pool near work has been closed since April for some major work and won't reopen until October or so. The other indoor pools are starting into their yearly cycle of 2 week closings for maintenance. The pool near home is closed from now through the end of the month. I'll be at an outdoor pool for the next two weeks.

Edited by MDHillSlug 2009-08-16 7:28 PM
2009-08-17 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2351988

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-08-16 5:27 PM

The pool near work has been closed since April for some major work and won't reopen until October or so. The other indoor pools are starting into their yearly cycle of 2 week closings for maintenance. The pool near home is closed from now through the end of the month. I'll be at an outdoor pool for the next two weeks.

I wish mine was indoor...It is cold here this morning and the thought of getting in a pool outside gives me the shivers.... but will go when it warms up some. Hope your foot feels better soon. Have a good swim.

2009-08-17 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2350692

User image

Veteran
British Columbia

Thanks Julee...I think we need a new sport (ie moving) in our training log.    All those blank squares in my training log is getting a bit depressing.

Yes, I am hiring movers.  I am trying to get into my townhouse a little earlier.  Looks like the ex and I will be moving out of the house at around the same time.  I have movers and he's going to move himself (should be interesting).  Will be glad when it's all over and I am in my own place.

Dan...good luck on your Oly.  I will be thinking of you.

Nicole...Hope you get in to see the doc. this week.  Hopefully they can sort this thing out.

Has anyone heard from Allyssa, Susie or Yvonne?  I hope they're doing o.k.

Have a wonderful day everyone...

Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-15 2:18 PM

kew - 2009-08-15 1:33 PM

Nicole...I feel for you.  You hang in there.

Julee...I move September 24th.  Can hardly wait. 

Having a hard time finding the time to get a workout in after work and I have to get up so darn early if I want to workout before I leave.  Going to try to find (no make the time) to go at least 3 times a week on my lunch break.

Hope everybody is having a good weekend.

ahhhh sweetie...moving is training...just cross training! I am tired for you! cant wait to see the new casa! do you have movers helping you to move to the new location?

2009-08-17 12:40 PM
in reply to: #1863539

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Hi everyone!

Before I forget -- Dan, good luck on your Oly this weekend.  It should be fun, fun, fun!

I'm taking a rest day today (if you can call work "rest").  I didn't have the heart to go out and run in the rain this morning, because the rain had a name -- "Tropical Storm Claudette".  I shouldn't have been such a wimp because it really wasn't bad, rainy with a little wind.  But just the idea of being out in it was just too much.  Let's hope that Ana continues to dissipate and Bill tracks up to the middle of nowhere.  Then we can be done with hurricane season.

2009-08-17 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2352903

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-17 9:59 AM

I wish mine was indoor...It is cold here this morning and the thought of getting in a pool outside gives me the shivers.... but will go when it warms up some. Hope your foot feels better soon. Have a good swim.

COLD???  I'm very jealous...

2009-08-17 1:11 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

I don't think Amy spends much time here lately, so I thought I'd let everyone know what she said about her tri on facebook (Amy, I hope you don't mind!):

"It was a great day!!! I love all my fabulous Tribuddies, they are special people. I enjoyed the entire experience!!!! Swim was ok, bike was wonderful~~~~~Run was...let's just say I was the pavement, not the steamroller..ha Thanks to the Y, the volunteers and to all the people I heard cheering me on... It was great!!!! Not I'm off to the next adventure!!!!"

2009-08-17 2:46 PM
in reply to: #2352980

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

kew - 2009-08-17 8:20 AM

Thanks Julee...I think we need a new sport (ie moving) in our training log.    All those blank squares in my training log is getting a bit depressing.

Yes, I am hiring movers.  I am trying to get into my townhouse a little earlier.  Looks like the ex and I will be moving out of the house at around the same time.  I have movers and he's going to move himself (should be interesting).  Will be glad when it's all over and I am in my own place.

Dan...good luck on your Oly.  I will be thinking of you.

Nicole...Hope you get in to see the doc. this week.  Hopefully they can sort this thing out.

Has anyone heard from Allyssa, Susie or Yvonne?  I hope they're doing o.k.

Have a wonderful day everyone...

Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-15 2:18 PM

kew - 2009-08-15 1:33 PM

Nicole...I feel for you.  You hang in there.

Julee...I move September 24th.  Can hardly wait. 

Having a hard time finding the time to get a workout in after work and I have to get up so darn early if I want to workout before I leave.  Going to try to find (no make the time) to go at least 3 times a week on my lunch break.

Hope everybody is having a good weekend.

ahhhh sweetie...moving is training...just cross training! I am tired for you! cant wait to see the new casa! do you have movers helping you to move to the new location?

dont work too hard....but just think soon you will be starting a whole new life!

obtw,,,there is a home improvement log in your training under add a sport...thenk you add the hours/minutes/seconds that you did it....you are doing more then you think in all the up and down and lifting....take care and take lots of pics of the new home!

havent heard from any of the above...but will pm later...im at work now....will send out the search party if I dont hear from them....thanks for getting me to do so...been sooo busy have not had time to think about my girls!

2009-08-17 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2353460

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Sledge - 2009-08-17 10:41 AM

Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-17 9:59 AM

COLD???  I'm very jealous...

yup last nite we had our fire pit going in the backyard...this morning I got up to the high 40's low 50s....can i bring the fire pit inside? haha and my swim...well it is off till this afternoon....which it is now! and it is still cold...come visit Cheri...have your husband drop you off next time he flies this way....or surely you have some business to do out this way.,,,time to make a visit to your old stomping grounds, wouldnt ya say?

2009-08-17 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2353590

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Sledge - 2009-08-17 11:11 AM

I don't think Amy spends much time here lately, so I thought I'd let everyone know what she said about her tri on facebook (Amy, I hope you don't mind!):

"It was a great day!!! I love all my fabulous Tribuddies, they are special people. I enjoyed the entire experience!!!! Swim was ok, bike was wonderful~~~~~Run was...let's just say I was the pavement, not the steamroller..ha Thanks to the Y, the volunteers and to all the people I heard cheering me on... It was great!!!! Not I'm off to the next adventure!!!!"

thanks for the update Cheri...hope that Amy will come back to us...glad she had a succesful day, tell her hi for us if you chat with her. or mabye I should get my lazy butt back on facebook and do it myself! huh>

giood luck with the storm...are you in line to get hit by it HARD? or are you on the outer edges,,,will be thinking of you...and hope that it is disipates (sp?)before it reaches you! stay dry and enjoy the day off!

2009-08-17 3:09 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Julee,

How far are you from Livermore? There's a really good chance that I'll be in the Livermore area from October 15-18. I'd love to meet!
2009-08-17 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2353933

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-17 3:04 PM

thanks for the update Cheri...hope that Amy will come back to us...glad she had a succesful day, tell her hi for us if you chat with her. or mabye I should get my lazy butt back on facebook and do it myself! huh>

giood luck with the storm...are you in line to get hit by it HARD? or are you on the outer edges,,,will be thinking of you...and hope that it is disipates (sp?)before it reaches you! stay dry and enjoy the day off!

I didn't mean to be confusing, but I must have been!  Anyway, the storm hit last night and we had the leftovers this morning.  I'm at work, but I didn't get to work out this morning -- therefore, I'm having a "rest" day at work!

2009-08-17 7:30 PM
in reply to: #2353949

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-08-17 1:09 PM Julee,

How far are you from Livermore? There's a really good chance that I'll be in the Livermore area from October 15-18. I'd love to meet!

its only about 45 to an hour away depending on traffic...sounds great! hoping I will be here and not in Texas...my dad is not doing well and that is when my work season seems to peter out some...so I may head home around then...but may have to put it off a day or two if it means we can hang out! is this business or pleasure bringing you this way??? and that is around the time of my half marathon..cant remember the dates! hope we do get to meet!

2009-08-17 7:34 PM
in reply to: #2354000

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Sledge - 2009-08-17 1:27 PM

Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-17 3:04 PM

I didn't mean to be confusing, but I must have been!  Anyway, the storm hit last night and we had the leftovers this morning.  I'm at work, but I didn't get to work out this morning -- therefore, I'm having a "rest" day at work!

no just a state of mind for me! you explained it just fine!

2009-08-17 7:36 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

swam today...and now I have to go and eat...super hungry...swam a little under 2 hours! 30 minutes were with fins. Felt soo good to swim...dont know why it is so hard to get there!???

2009-08-17 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2351871

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
dcon - 2009-08-16 7:08 PM
MDHillSlug - 2009-08-17 12:26 AM As the day wore on yesterday my feet started feeling worse and worse to the point where they ended up hurting more than ever before (the right heel more than the left forefoot). I definitely won't be running again this week and I don't know what I'll be able to do at all between now and my tri. I'm already scheduled to see my foot doc the last week of the month but I think I'll call tomorrow and see if I can move it up.

Sorry to hear that Nicole. Are you still experimenting with a forefoot strike? May want to go back to your old way of doing things.

I injured myself doing it the old way. I did try going back and it really hurt.
2009-08-17 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2354451

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-17 8:30 PM

MDHillSlug - 2009-08-17 1:09 PM Julee,

its only about 45 to an hour away depending on traffic...sounds great! hoping I will be here and not in Texas...my dad is not doing well and that is when my work season seems to peter out some...so I may head home around then...but may have to put it off a day or two if it means we can hang out! is this business or pleasure bringing you this way??? and that is around the time of my half marathon..cant remember the dates! hope we do get to meet!

My partner needs to be there for business on that Monday.
2009-08-17 8:21 PM
in reply to: #2352903

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-17 10:59 AM

I hated the pool today. I don't think I'm going back there. Either I'll find another pool or take some time off

2009-08-17 10:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Did someone say something about cold weather ...  Julee, can you bring some of that with you as well as the rain when you come this way?

Cheri, glad that Claudette wasn't any worse for you.  That is the kind of rain we need here.

Nicole, sorry that your foot isn't feeling any better.  Were you able to get back in to the doctor?

Dan, good luck to you this weekend!

Karen, hang in there.  You are going to have a wonderful new home!

Hope everyone is doing okay.  My son is playing flag football for the first time, after playing baseball for 4 years, and his first practice was today ... school starts on Monday ... and the days are getting shorter ... guess my summer break is just about over.  This has been the hottest summer that I can remember in a long time, and I'm ready for the cooler weather.
2009-08-18 7:24 AM
in reply to: #2354540

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
MDHillSlug - 2009-08-18 10:14 AM

dcon - 2009-08-16 7:08 PM
MDHillSlug - 2009-08-17 12:26 AM As the day wore on yesterday my feet started feeling worse and worse to the point where they ended up hurting more than ever before (the right heel more than the left forefoot). I definitely won't be running again this week and I don't know what I'll be able to do at all between now and my tri. I'm already scheduled to see my foot doc the last week of the month but I think I'll call tomorrow and see if I can move it up.

I injured myself doing it the old way. I did try going back and it really hurt.

so, just increased distance and the old way? No other variables like new shoes (or old shoes)? I ask because my experience with changing running form was a struggle. Whenever I tried to tweak something and did not get it quite right, something new started to hurt. Good luck getting it sorted out.
2009-08-18 7:28 AM
in reply to: #2354759

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
lufferly - 2009-08-17 11:09 PM
Nicole, sorry that your foot isn't feeling any better.  Were you able to get back in to the doctor?

The doctor is not in this week and it doesn't seem worth it to try to move my appt from Thursday next week to earlier in the week.
2009-08-18 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2354457

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-18 9:36 AM

swam today...and now I have to go and eat...super hungry...swam a little under 2 hours! 30 minutes were with fins. Felt soo good to swim...dont know why it is so hard to get there!???

That's a lot of swimming. No wonder you were hungry. Sounds like you need to get out there more often.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  

of 168