General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2011-06-27 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

I just have to say thank you to everyone here for your tips and motivation throughout the past 11 months. I felt like I was racing with a ton of friends. I enjoyed the pre-race swims, the Wed. night dinner, and seeing folks race day. I do know that I was cheered more than I probably cheered back--not intentional, it was just hard to recognize some of y'all and I am slightly recognizable. I tried to acknowledge you when you encouraged me--but I know it didn't necessarily come out as that! My right eye is still a little blood shot as it got way too much of my own salt in it.  But I just wanted to seriously THANK YOU to all those that called my name, cheered me on, etc. while out there.  It meant a ton, it wasn't ignored, and it was acknowledged--just maybe not conveyed well.

Feeling pretty decent today--sore sure, but nothing like IMAZ '09 due to my walking I'm sure.  The good thing is, I'm not asking myself "why did I sign up for IMAZ and IMTX?" But instead am excited to go back out there.  This was definitely a tough and honest course.  I'm really proud to have raced with all of you, and this thread has likely been the most informative, entertaining, and enjoyable race thread I've ever been a part of here on BT since I joined in '07.  So thanks TEAM HB (cause really, we were a team out there!).  If anyone is still in town tomorrow afternoon and want to get together, let me know. I take a fellow racer as well as my sherpa to Spokane, drop my bike off at DWS' house (thanks man! and AWESOME race! He rocked it), and then just doing my own packing for my trip to TX for wedding festivities.

You guys rock--seriously!

2011-06-27 10:38 PM

User image

Salt Lake City, UT
A little survey to help get us to 200 pages: Who still has their race bracelet on?
2011-06-27 10:39 PM
in reply to: #3570288

User image

Salt Lake City, UT
kiki_zen - 2011-06-27 9:38 PMA little survey to help get us to 200 pages: Who still has their race bracelet on?
You know I do. It will stay on for several more days. Then it will live in a drawer with some friends
2011-06-27 10:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
I do! Not sure when it will come off!

Edited by mrwrite 2011-06-27 10:46 PM
2011-06-27 10:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
I have a nasty wetsuit raspberry and my poor legs feel like, well, they went 140.6 miles yesterday. And then there are the massive blisters on my feet. But that misery pales in comparison to the magical feeling I have experienced since 11:36:06 last night when I became an Ironman!

From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank Bonnie for being there for me almost every day of this journey. Your positive attitude, advice and incredible example helped me pull off my miracle! And I also loved the Honey Badger signs on that $@*# hilly course!

I had a blast with Nerdjock out there too, and thanks for your encouragement! And congrats, Ironman!

I met other BTers this weekend and I applaud you all. I love this place! Oh yeah, I have got to thank Whizzzzz for being an awesome coach! And my buddy, trigator2151, is THE MAN! All of my Desert Sharks pals on here are tremendous people.

More thoughts to come later in my race report ...
2011-06-27 10:44 PM

User image

Salt Lake City, UT
Survey #2 (and these aren't cheats because they are race related!):What did you think were the best and worst parts of the race from a logistical, experiencial, or organizational perspective?

2011-06-27 10:50 PM
in reply to: #3568462

User image

Regular
Sunnyvale, CA

WaterDog66 - 2011-06-26 10:42 PM Thanks for your support guys. My race was going awesome. I was 80th place off the bike and passed 20 folks in my AG by mile 3 but then I stepped badly in a pothole and injured my foot. I spent some time in the med tent @ mile 16 and again at the finish and the consensus is that it is indeed broken. I have had a metatarsal stress fracture and this is what it feels like butler intense and throbbing. I did finish the race, ran 15 minutes faster than 2008 ANC ran my fastest split on the return on the second lap. Need to go someplace and find some perspective because I am pissed. This may screw up my fall marathon.

Aw... man, you are so unlucky with this race.  Hope you are going to heal soon!  Awesome race, despite your stress fracture.  Truly HB style

2011-06-27 11:04 PM
in reply to: #3570301

User image

Salt Lake City, UT
kiki_zen - 2011-06-27 9:44 PMSurvey #2 (and these aren't cheats because they are race related!):What did you think were the best and worst parts of the race from a logistical, experiencial, or organizational perspective?
My response is from a repeat imcda offender. I've done imcda four times so there have been a few things that the race director/team has consistently gotten wrong. Many of those things got better this year. The special needs bag drop and body marking were much easier to access and had more volunteer support this year. The beach set up was also much better than previous years. Volunteers and the fabulous community is always the best part of this race. Bike support was also noticeably improved at this year's race. My major complaint about this year's race was the increased competitor count. I'm thankful that not all 2800 athletes assigned bib numbers actually raced, but I think this race needs to be capped at an expected field of 2000-2100. The beach and two loop swim course can not safely accommodate more athletes. I also saw consistent bunching on the bike course that I've not experienced in previous years. With this large field I expected more penalty enforcement, but this is the first year I never saw a ref on the course and I only saw one person in a penalty tent. Every other year I've been passed by a ref multiple time and seen 3-5 people in every penalty tent I passed. Obviously I love this race, otherwise I wouldn't keep returning. But there is always room for improvement. I am interested to hear your opinions.
2011-06-27 11:31 PM

User image

Veteran
WA
kiki_zen - 2011-06-27 7:38 PM

A little survey to help get us to 200 pages: Who still has their race bracelet on?

Me. Wore it to the dentist today. Think I'll cut it off tonight though.
2011-06-27 11:34 PM

The water temp. was affected by the largest snowpack and coldest spring, probably ever recorded. On average it would be at least 5 degrees warmer.

It is better that the race has been moved a week later than it used to be several years ago.

2011-06-28 12:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
Anybody else thoroughly dissapointed with finishers gear offerings? We were down at 7 today and man the selection sucked! I did order a jacket (pretty lame not have them there at the race) but all I really wanted was a normal t-shirt with a good looking logo on it.

2011-06-28 12:14 AM

User image

Regular
Sunnyvale, CA
kiki_zen - 2011-06-27 8:38 PMA little survey to help get us to 200 pages: Who still has their race bracelet on?
Me! It's going to keep good company to my yellow and pink bands for the rest of the week
2011-06-28 12:22 AM

User image

Regular
Sunnyvale, CA

kiki_zen - 2011-06-27 8:44 PM Survey #2 (and these aren't cheats because they are race related!):What did you think were the best and worst parts of the race from a logistical, experiencial, or organizational perspective?

Best: the finish on Sherman.  It probably rivals Ali'i dr.

Worst: Lack of separation between spectators and athletes before the start.  It took me 15 minutes to get to the beach!  I also concur on the size of the field.  Too big to allow for a safe swim.

2011-06-28 1:11 AM
in reply to: #3570355

Master
, California
davide - 2011-06-27 10:22 PM

kiki_zen - 2011-06-27 8:44 PM Survey #2 (and these aren't cheats because they are race related!):What did you think were the best and worst parts of the race from a logistical, experiencial, or organizational perspective?

Best: the finish on Sherman.  It probably rivals Ali'i dr.

Worst: Lack of separation between spectators and athletes before the start.  It took me 15 minutes to get to the beach!  I also concur on the size of the field.  Too big to allow for a safe swim.

Is it just me or did it seem like there was a long gap w/o an aid station on the run?  It was around mile 13 where you run down Lakeside and turn around near transition ... no aid stations until you get back to the 1st one again.

2011-06-28 1:34 AM
in reply to: #3570313

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

kiki_zen - 2011-06-27 9:04 PM
kiki_zen - 2011-06-27 9:44 PMSurvey #2 (and these aren't cheats because they are race related!):What did you think were the best and worst parts of the race from a logistical, experiencial, or organizational perspective?
My response is from a repeat imcda offender. I've done imcda four times so there have been a few things that the race director/team has consistently gotten wrong. Many of those things got better this year. The special needs bag drop and body marking were much easier to access and had more volunteer support this year. The beach set up was also much better than previous years. Volunteers and the fabulous community is always the best part of this race. Bike support was also noticeably improved at this year's race. My major complaint about this year's race was the increased competitor count. I'm thankful that not all 2800 athletes assigned bib numbers actually raced, but I think this race needs to be capped at an expected field of 2000-2100. The beach and two loop swim course can not safely accommodate more athletes. I also saw consistent bunching on the bike course that I've not experienced in previous years. With this large field I expected more penalty enforcement, but this is the first year I never saw a ref on the course and I only saw one person in a penalty tent. Every other year I've been passed by a ref multiple time and seen 3-5 people in every penalty tent I passed. Obviously I love this race, otherwise I wouldn't keep returning. But there is always room for improvement. I am interested to hear your opinions.

This was my first time IMCDA but 8th IM.  I'll agree with Kiki's comments about the bike being crowded and very little enforcement.  There were draft packs all over the bike course, and tons of blocking.  And I was quite annoyed at a lot of people coasting the downhills side-by-side blocking anyone trying to pass.  And the climbs also had people all over the road at different speeds, trying to hold their own pace.  This is a symptom of an overcrowded race.  There's a tipping point where the bike course is just too crowded, and IMCDA has passed that.  This is especially bad on multi-loop courses for someone like me (slow swimmer, MOP biker) since I pass slow cyclists for hours.

The setup race morning was nutty with access to the bikes and the bags at one end, then special needs drop-off the opposite end down the street.  I think there was an entrance to the bikes on the other side, but it was so crowded I could not get there.  I did body marking late, over by special needs drop-off, then I literally could not get down the swim start due to the giant crowd of competitors and spectators.  Thus I barely got a chance to splash water on my face before we were ordered out of the water, and I blame that as a direct cause of at least 5 minutes of my 1:37 swim.

Easy parking!  I always got a spot in the museum lot after maybe 2 or 3 orbits of the lot, for packet pickup, my bike drop-off and swim, and just coming to town.  And race morning at 5:45 I got a spot in a lot two blocks down the street. 

Good course marking, loved the orange arrows coming up to turns.  I'm a cyclist by background, so give me some Dan Henry's and I know what to do.

My wife and family says that everyone in CDA was friendly and welcoming, without a sense of entitlement or "let's jack the prices since these bozos will pay anything" which I've seen elsewhere (yes, I'm looking at you, Penticton).

2011-06-28 1:45 AM
in reply to: #3570374

User image

Veteran
Alta

It was my first ironman ever, I loved every minute of it. I didn't know much of what to expect, mostly competed in small, local races. I was extremely impressed with the volunteers, they were awesome! The crowd around the swim was congested, but I guess they warned us of that in the pre-race meeting. I was very happy we had calm waters compared to the practice swims! The bike course was hilly but very scenic. I hear they are changing it next year? The run course was great. The hill was a huge challenge on the second loop. I also did not like the number of turns in the last two miles, it was hard to hold a good stride when fatigue had set in. The finish along Shermon AVE was great though. My wife and a few local friends were happy with the times they were able to see me on the course.

I was also a little disappointed with the finisher gear...I would have liked a bit more selection.

Happy recovery everyone and safe training when you pick it back up again. It was great to follow this thread with all of you!

2011-06-28 4:59 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Unfortunately, overcrowded courses are going to be an IM reality ever since WTC was sold to Providence Equity.  It is consistently the number one complaint about each IM race now, but then again I don't blame them for it considering the length of the registration lines on monday morning.  Eventually, they'll push it too far and people will look to alternatives... but for now it seems that *in general* the demand is high enough that we're still willing to flock to these races while we complain

Larger fields is perhaps the most compelling reason you could give me to work intensely on my swim.  It also makes me think I'd love IM Canada, where you have a 1-loop bike course.

Appreciate your feedback on this race as I contemplate a 2012 or 2013 IM.

2011-06-28 8:20 AM
in reply to: #3570293

User image

Master
Vista, CA
kiki_zen - 2011-06-27 8:39 PM
kiki_zen - 2011-06-27 9:38 PMA little survey to help get us to 200 pages: Who still has their race bracelet on?
You know I do. It will stay on for several more days. Then it will live in a drawer with some friends

Yep, still have my bracelet on as well. I can now allow myself to wear M-dot stuff so I kinda went a little nutso at the tent yesterday. but, WTH? Never will be another First Ironman.

I'll save my comments on race day logistics and positives/negatives for later...still on that IM Sherman Drive high!

Again, a pleasure to race alongside all of you my BT buds.
2011-06-28 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Finally back home and 'semi' unpacked.

IMCdA was intense, every minute of it. The swim was brutal and left me thinking I would have to pull out after 5 minutes in the fray. I did not expect the bike to be as challenging as it was, and the run was fun, albeit intense with the massive hill towards the turnaround.

Good job peeps this weekend, it was nice to meet and greet everyone.
2011-06-28 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Even through I didn't finish I still have my bracelet on. I'll cut it off and put it with my shimmery silver ones from 07 & 08 tomorrow.

I may be back up to CDA next year to volunteer as I have several friends doing their 1st IM next year there. I too like Josh am looking for a later summer IM so I have a question for all you vets who raced CDA this weekend.

How does CDA compare to IM MOO? I'm thinking Madison may be my next stop.

Also does anyone know how I can download a complete list of results? The website only lets me get the 1st 100 and I'm trying to figure out how many people DNF'd overall vs just after the swim.
2011-06-28 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

kiki_zen - 2011-06-27 10:44 PM Survey #2 (and these aren't cheats because they are race related!):What did you think were the best and worst parts of the race from a logistical, experiencial, or organizational perspective?

The best part for me was I executed a 1/1,000,000 race. If I raced that day a million more times, I don't know if I could do it any better.  It goes down as my best race ever and I've had some really good marathon days.  I also think the near perfect weather helped a bunch.   

SWIM: Even though I lined up to the very far side of the beach, literally right by the wall, half way back, I still nearly PRed the swim.  I bet I had to swim an extra 100-200 meters, but did a 36 minute first loop.  The second loop had more contact for me, but I kept it steady and did a 37 minute second loop.  The swim was my true personal victory from the race.  I knew I could bike and run, but I was worried about my mental make-up on the swim....and I passed with flying colors.  I looked back at the water as I was running along the beach and could not believe I did it in 1:13:15.  I was 610 out of the water.      

T1: Someone told me on the beach not to change in the tent.  He said it is faster to grab your bag and change right in front of the tent and run through and hand your bag to someone and tell them to put your suit in it.  It worked for me.  5:31 minute T1. 

BIKE:  This is where my race strategy had some serious bets.  I was not sure if my heart rate was lying to my or what, but I held a 144-145 average the entire course.  I small ringed the steep hills in my 27 gear (which I am so glad I had versus my 25) and did a 100-110 cadence up each hill.  I was shocked at the numbnuts that kept their chain in the big ring and got out of their seats and slowly cranked and rocked their bike up the hill.  The funny part was that I was faster with my small ring versus their big ring, doing about 8-9 mph up the hills.  The downhills is where I boosted my average.  I was really aggressive on several downhills and hit 45 mph a half dozen times.  I did the second loop downhills even faster since I knew what to expect.  I never used deep leg power on the bike once and knew I had a chance to have a magical day.  My bike splits were flat like my swim, 20.29, 20.26, 19.9.  It was fun to go back and forth with about 20 other rides for most of the bike ride.  I owned the group on the ups and downs, but the bigger boys would get me on the long straightaways.  Loved the bike course and it was my favorite part of the race.  The views were breathtaking.  I passed almost 350 people on the bike.

T2: First dismount ever with shoes on bike.  Almost wrecked.  I needed to pee and sprinted to the ports.  Fast time here to and left in 1:59.  Thrilled.  

Run:  This is where I was not sure what to expect.  My legs were tight and my stomach felt like it had a bit too much water/powerade in it.  I was told on the beach by the same guy not to go out fast on the run.  He said to determine what you want to run for the overall marathon and start out with that pace.  My goal was sub 4 hours so I started out at a 8:45 pace.  Despite having tight legs, they were really hot and I had to pull back the speed at the beginning.  To help my stomach I did not drink any water for the first 5 miles.  It seemed weird at the time, but paid big dividends as my stomach fixed itself.  My big treat on the run was running 2 miles with Julie Dibens.  At miles 3-4 for me and 16-17 for her, I ran right next to her stride for stride with all of the cameras, media, motorcycles, etc. She was doing about a 8:30-8:50 pace.  That was cool.  I almost felt like I was a race leader too as it was just the two of us for almost a mile.  Then reality hit and she went past the aid station and I never saw her again.  I trusted my training on the run and ran 8:53 and 8:41 for the first half of the marathon.  Thrilled.  I still felt great, but the course was a bit harder than I expected.  Around mile 17, 18, 19 my body and legs had a few backfires and I started to feel really funny.  I knew I was way ahead of goal, but I started to think that a 10:xx hour time was possible.  I was loosing some feeling in my feet and legs and knew I was running out of power and fuel.  I hit the last split around mile 19 and it was a 9:59 pace.  This was the point where my race defined itself.  Once I hit that turnaround, staring at that hill going back, I told myself "a 10k for the rest of your life".  This is where my race was made.  I made a friend right as I started up the hill.  She was shooting for a Kona slot in the 30-34 female slot and was 3rd at the time.  She looked at me and said "lets do this".  I went pure coke with a quick gulp of water and pulled out the greatest hour of my life.  I was slowly falling apart as was she, but her company and positive words helped me run what turned out to be almost my fast split.  I ran a 8:43 final 10k to close out a 10:50:40 time.  She pulled ahead of me at the end and I think finished in 3rd to earn her spot to Kona.  Like with the Dibens moment, I almost felt like I qualified with her.   

It was a day I will never forget and one I will cherish forever.  I was telling my wife all of this and she made an interesting comment.  She said it's very unusual to see a sport where people actually try to help others do better.  I'm a better racer for it and owe much of my day to all of you and others that helped me as I don't think I could have done this without it.       

2011-06-28 9:36 AM

I can not get any results from IMCDA website.  Anyone else with this problem?  Could someone post a link I could follow to get results? 
2011-06-28 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3570798

User image

Veteran
Dallas

mopeypat - 2011-06-28 9:36 AM I can not get any results from IMCDA website.  Anyone else with this problem?  Could someone post a link I could follow to get results? 

It is slow and touchy.  Open 3-4 windows with this link.  Give it a minute.  One should work.  I have mine up now. 

http://ironmanlive.com/tracking.php?race=coeurdalene&year=2011

2011-06-28 9:59 AM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
Great report 3aims and congratulations on your awesome race.

I agree that the biggest downside was the overcrowding, mostly on the swim. On the bike it was annoying, but didn't cause me much heartburn. I also couldn't believe all the people grinding low cadence up the hills - I sat in my 34-27 up every one of them and don't think I got passed on an uphill all day. The strong point of the race was the volunteers, and that little girl shouting encouragement through her sound system on the run - I thought that was so cool.

I cut the wrist band off last night, but am going to save it, which I usually don't do.
2011-06-28 10:03 AM

User image

Seattle, WA

I thought I better check in here and post a few thoughts while they are still fresh.  I really need to write a race report.  Hopefully will get there this evening.

This was my first IM, so while I imagined over and over what it would be like, I was going purely off feel. 

Swim:  1:27 (10 minutes slower than an OWS racelast week!!) This was the part I was most nervous about.  I had done a practice swim in that cold choppy water on Friday, and knew if the wind was kicking up waves like that race day, I was going to be in trouble.  Thankfully it was much calmer, but I still have to say the swim was brutal.  I got to the beach kind of late, so I was lined up in the middle of the middle.  I knew it wasn't a good place to be, but there was little I could do about it.  I had put Vaseline on my hands and face, but forgot it was there.  I rubbed my goggles and promptly realized that sighting with all that Vaseline smeared on the lenses was going to be a b****.  When we all got in, it took probably 300 yards before I could safely put my head in there were so many people around.  I got kicked in the mouth twice, dunked a few times, and in general was surrounded by so many people during both laps that I never felt comfortable.  I alternated between getting a breath and swallowing water, so by that second lap I had to pee so badly it hurt.  Haven't perfected the art of peeing and swimming simultaneously, so I suffered the entire way.  The only thing that got me through was the thinking "I can't wait to get on my bike" over and over.

T1:  15 minutes (I can't access the results page right now for some reason, so this is what my husband told me) I had no idea I was so slow here, but it makes sense.  I was shaking badly when I got out.  My dexterity was next to nil, so taking things off and putting them on were a real challenge.  I got the wetsuit strippers to help me out, then ran to the porta potty to fix my painful problem.  Ahhhh that's better.  Then I just grabbed my bag and changed on the lawn.  This might have been a mistake, as I could have benefited from having help in the tent.  I was so disoriented that I kept putting things on in the wrong order.  Helmet then shirt, then race belt then shirt, etc.  I finally got everything on correctly, had some sunscreen slathered on me by a volunteer, then off to the bike.

Bike: 6:35.  This was BY FAR my favorite part of the day.  I was shaking quite a bit for the first 30 minutes or so, but once I warmed up I enjoyed the heck out of that course.  I am really glad I came out to ride it over Memorial Day weekend, because it really convinced me to change my crankset to a compact.  The hills were WAY easier this time around, so gearing is super important on this course.  A few times I wished I had a 27 or 28 in back rather than the 25 I had, but it was so nice to spin up those hills compared to working my way up the first time I rode it. 

I took a page out of Chrissie Wellington's book here and smiled nearly non-stop the whole ride.  I loved the band that was playing somewhere around Dalton Gardens or so.  Loved all the support in downtown CdA.  I gave words of encouragement to other racers.  I raced within my own box according to plan, and didn't allow myself to get caught up in trying to keep up with people or beat anyone.  I kept repeating the mantras "don't eat the paste" and "bike like you have a marathon to run later, because you do".  It worked well.  I felt strong, but conservative with my effort and I think I executed this part as well as I possibly could have.

T2: Not sure of my time.  I went to the tent and had a volunteer help me out.  She was great.  She found signal for my second Garmin, put Gus in my fuel belt, and being a veteran IMer, gave me some good words of encouragement.

Run: 4:35.  I felt pretty good leaving transition, looked down and realized I was running an 8:30ish pace, so I immediately slowed down.  My run training has been spotty these last 8 months ever since the stress fracture I got in October.  I only had a handful of runs longer than 13 miles to go off of.  I decided before the race began that I would pace super conservatively for at least the first lap.  I tried to keep around 9:30-10 minute miles for the first part.  I also made a deal with myself to walk the aid stations as long as I kept running in between them.  This worked well.  Because the stations are every mile I only had to convince myself to run for short periods before I got a walk break.  I ran the hill both times, although the second time it was more like a shuffle.  Up until mile 20, I had given up any thought of meeting my goal time of under 13 hours.  I just wanted to finish.  I looked at the time right at mile 20 and realized that if I kept my pace under 10 minute miles, sub 13 was still possible.  This was a huge mental boost.  I kicked it in for the final 10k at 9:30 per mile to finish at 12:56.  That run down Sherman was, as advertised, one of the best experiences of my life.  I hammed it up with the crowd, raised my arms in victory, and hop-skipped across that finish line.  What a rush!

I am so incredibly grateful for this thread.  Everyone's help, advice, and inspires have been absolutely crucial to my success on Sunday.  I am so glad to hear about everyone's races.  Bonnie, I'm so sorry things didn't work out as planned on Sunday, but your attitude about it is stellar, and you have been a tremendous help to me as a first timer.  Thanks so much.

I hope everyone recovers well, and that we get to train for something together again.  I had said I wanted to take a year off before another IM, but I just told my husband that if IM Canada goes online the day afterward at noon, I'm signing up.  *gulp*

->I just realized that I DID just write a race report.  Oops, sorry!

New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171