BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z group is FULL!!!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2008-06-26 1:24 PM
in reply to: #1354430

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: Newbz'z group is FULL!!!!!!
Week to week sounds pretty good to me. State your weekly goals on your normal training start day (Sunday/Monday)... Then hit them... Give an update on Saturday. Sounds easy enough right?

2008-06-26 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1492361

User image

Champion
sounds good, lets start with this coming monday, doesnt have to be wildley serious, just each persons weekly goals, and we'll see we are all falling with them. something to keep people motivated.

maybe have one part of training, be it lifting, swimming, running, biking, some other sports avtivitiy that you dont normaly do, or as much as you like, and try and get yourself into that a bit to mix it up.

(for example i used to be a rower, so i am going to try and get back on the erg a bit more this week to keep the legs going but off the bike)

my goals for next week are:

18k swimming
14 hours on the bike
25 miles running
40 min total erging (yikes!)
2008-06-26 5:59 PM

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio

Hi guys,

See I didn't fall off the planet. Actually really busy at work. I am so in for this challenge...maybe it will get my butt in the pool more. Butnext week will lo0k little compared to you all. It is a Taper week before Caesar Creek. Are any of you doing it??

Anyway this is what I need to do next week:  Bike 3 hrs  // Run 4 hrs // Swim 3 hrs

Everyone have a nice night and a great week. Off to eat dinner now.

Chris

2008-06-26 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1493182

User image

Champion
sounds good chris

here is what we will do time wise. we'll start on monday, and go through sunday of each week. dont be conconered with total times/distances, but rather getting in what you think you should, and pushing it when you should. think of this as a way to have others involved and invested in what you are doing, something to keep you headed out the door. you have to answer to others instead of just talking yourself out of a workout. if you have a week that does look like you can push it, go ahead and do so, we'll start this up each week and see how people stand!

good luck
2008-06-27 6:18 AM
in reply to: #1493487

User image

Fishers, IN
Sounds great

10k swim, 100 miles bike, and 30 miles run I can most likely hit the swims and the runs but between weather and family activities/vacations I have been having trouble getting to the bike.

As for weather, I should not let that be an excuse since I can always substitute in the trainer, but man I have a hard time doing that!

2008-06-27 7:27 AM
in reply to: #1493777

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
rc63413 - 2008-06-27 7:18 AM

As for weather, I should not let that be an excuse since I can always substitute in the trainer, but man I have a hard time doing that!

I hear you there... Tomorrow supposed to rain like crazy... which means a 3hr trainer ride... Yuck.

As for the Competition

Mon: 45min run, 40min swim
Tue: 1:30 ride
Wed: 1:30 run, 40min swim
Thu: 2:00 ride, 10min brick
Fri: 45min run, 40min swim
Sat: 3:00 ride
Sun: off (elliptical & core extra)

Totals: 2:00 swim, 3:10 run, 6:30 ride

2008-06-27 10:06 AM
in reply to: #1493848

User image

Champion
personlly i would cut a traininer ride about in half to one third off the time as the same ride otuside.

you are pedaling pretty steady inside, whereas outside thats a ton of time at stop signs, going down hills, etc.

just me though.

if you ride 3 hours inside, you are my hero!
2008-06-27 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1494244

User image

Fishers, IN
No, I have one bike on a trainer down stairs that I have ridden just twice this year. I just don't get it done. I never thought of it in light of what you have said - that you have your coasting etc outside. If a 30 - 45 minute workout will do, maybe I wouldn't resist it so much. It is hard to imagine staying on one of those for more than an hour. Though my swimming is still pretty bad, I have really been working on it consistently the last two months. It is the bike that I have not been able to fit in. This month will be different.

Sounds like you have a pretty big cycling week ahead of you?
2008-06-27 4:20 PM
in reply to: #1494483

User image

Champion
i have a big week all around next week

i am working with a new coach starting this week and we have been putting togethher a solid training program to take me through the rest of this season and set me up for a good season next year.

i am finally injury free for a while and am getting in some solid workouts, so i am very
2008-06-27 5:29 PM
in reply to: #1495371

User image

Fishers, IN
Glad to hear things are getting back on track. That week is real solid 20+ hours. I wish when I was your age I had focused on athletics instead of partying and getting fat for 20 years after high school. You are in your best years physically to handle/recover from a such a big work load and likely do not have many of the things that distract you from being the best you can be at your sport. I am trying to do the best with what I have now and enjoying it thoroughly, but I will never know how good I could have been had I taken your route. It is not that I have ever been overly blessed with talent, it just would have been nice to have given things my best at your age. I am not trying to have a pity party here because my life is richer than ever. Just perhaps wish I had spent about 10 years of it a little differently. We're all here in your corner rooting for you as you take it up a notch. I am sure it will be tiring for awhile and you'll really have to emphasize the recovery piece, but you'll get there.
2008-06-28 3:50 PM
in reply to: #1495475

User image

Champion
thanks for the thoughts. trust me, i did my fair share of partying in school (and still do when i have friends in town/can afford it). i think you need to know when to back off and remember you are still a kid.

i really have no idea where this will all go, but at least right now i have the time/ability to see where i can take it without much to worry about aside from rent/bills.

2008-06-28 8:26 PM
in reply to: #1492361

User image

Champion
if anyone is looking for a triathlon bike i am selling my frameset and some parts with it.

i am asking 800 for the frameset + whatever parts i include.
i can throw in: a 10spd chain, stem, brakes, brake levers, and possibly a crankset.

its a planet X stealth carbon pro, all carbon seatpost, fork, and frame.

its a size small, about the same size as a 52 from another company (fits people 5'5''-5'9'')

thanks and pass this along to anyone you know looking!
2008-06-30 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD

Been offline for a while due to some family obligations over the last couple weeks. Been tough to find a balance. My parents are selling their house and I've been down there (they live about an hour from me) just about every weeknight and weekend day to help them clean and organize. They are both disabled and I'm an only child so I knew I would have to take on the lion's share of making things happen. It was actually nice to get to spend so much time with them. Nonetheless, the house went on the market today so I am back in business until they decide it's actually time to vacate and head to Maine... probably in another month.

Sounds like everyone is in good health and good spirits after some R&R or recovery time. My focused marathon training starts this week so you will definitely see a spike in my running numbers. Good or bad, it's got to happen. I will do my best to focus on recovery.

4 weeks til my next tri and then 3 weeks in between each of the next two after that. Busy, busy summer ahead.

Goals for this week:

Swim: 2000m (1000m - Th; 1000m Sun)

Bike: 30 miles (30 miles - Wed)

Run: 31 miles (5 mi - Mon; 7 mi - Tue; 5 mi - Th; 10 mi - Sat; 4 mi - Sun)

Edited by shaggy28 2008-06-30 8:38 AM
2008-06-30 11:22 AM
in reply to: #1498343

User image

Fishers, IN
You have your priorities straight. I look forward to hearing how your marathon training works out. I am sort of in a similar situation. I signed up for Chicago before I started attempting tris (since Chicago sells out so early). In the back of my mind I know that minimally next month I need to kick the running up a notch if I am considering going for a PR. I haven't yet decided how hard I plan on running Chicago. I know that I will not be able to get my swim to be on par with my run/bike this year so I may really cut back on the bike, keep the swim going for active recovery and work on it throughout the winter with an eye on next year. Alternatively, I may just keep the tri going and throw in three or so 20 milers and then see what comes out in Chicago. I need to figure the plan out pretty soon.

Which marathon are you going to do?
2008-06-30 11:59 AM
in reply to: #1498916

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD

Which marathon are you going to do?

Doing the Marine Corp in Arlington, VA.  I joined a running group with guaranteed entries for first timers but should actually get a VIP spot through my wife's work... it really just amounts to better/easier parking which is a blessing at that event (17,000 people).  I'm sure Chicago is just as large.  A guy I know said that one of the most important things to do at the large events is to start in the front of your pace group otherwise you will be dodging slower runners for the first 5 miles.

From the training guide they gave us and what I've read, keeping the weekly mileage between 30 and 40 and getting in two to three 20-mile runs are the keys to success.  I have three tris during the first 10 weeks of training but 7 weeks free after my last tri.

2008-06-30 4:11 PM
in reply to: #1499037

User image

Fishers, IN
Yeah, Chicago has around 35K people. It is pretty nuts for a little while. I really haven't had any problem. It is well organized. The main thing is hold back early and stick on pace. Let the overly hyped people run around you. You'll see them later on. Pace groups can help with that and add some moral support to boot. You picked one of the best marathons. It fills up quickly and I hear the end is pretty amazing. The long runs are definitely key. The first one I just jumped into saying I would just jog walk it. Of course I had not done the long runs because I really had not planned on running it until two weeks before when I found that I would be in Silicon Valley the weekend the Napa Valley marathon was occurring. I got hooked on marathons, but it really hurt in the end. The long runs teach the body to conserve glycogen. I ran it at a pretty good clip (rather than jogging it) and suffered through the last 6 miles because of the lack of long runs. My hamstrings cramped really bad. I learned to appreciate glycogen and gatorade and long runs. I'm sure if you get 3 in you will do great.

2008-06-30 9:18 PM
in reply to: #1499968

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD

Greg, thanks for the support and advice.  I'm excited to see what my body can do.  On that note, I was catching up on some earlier posts and I also agree with what you were saying about taking athletics a little more seriously around David's age.  I'm making up for it a littl e bit now but I definitely spent my prime athletic years (to be debated, I know) belly up to a bar.  I played lacrosse in spring, summer and fall all through college but I also smoked a pack a day and drank to find a reason to drink.  It was fun, I met my wife through the friends I made in school, and I'm actually still using my degree 8 years later  but the one thing I regret is not competing to my potential (also to be debated).

Keep up the good work David.  And for everyone else that may be getting started a little later here's one to live by... to quote some country... "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was." --- and maybe even better! 

2008-06-30 9:26 PM
in reply to: #1500667

User image

Champion
thanks!

looks like everyone is gearing up and getting in some solid training.

my offer still stands for coaching or a nice frameset, if anyone wants it its for sale for a few more days;-)

2008-07-01 6:50 AM
in reply to: #1500667

User image

Fishers, IN
I look forward to seeing how things go for you in your marathon training. Make certain to listen to your body because running does beat you up pretty bad relative to the other two sports. That is something I did not feel so much when I was younger. As far as working in the long runs. The first one always stinks pretty bad, the second considerably better and the third and beyond become more boring than anything else. It is amazing how quickly the body learns. So be patient on the first couple of longs and don't worry too much about the pace. There is something magical about long runs. I don't know anyone who has not seen all of their running times (5K's and up) get faster as the result of just adding in the long run.
2008-07-01 8:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey Guys,

I'm just getting back to work after a quick trip to NYC so I don't have much time to post today. Here are my weekly goals based on the plan I'm using:

Run - 10 miles
Bike - 45 miles (2:30 hours)
Swim - 8,676 yards (3 hours and change)

This is a designated recover week so the run is really, really low and the bike is much lower than I have been doing as well. I don't think I've run so few miles since I started training in January unless I was sick! But I'll trust my plan and use this as week to let my weary body shake off some of the aches and pains it has accumulated.

Okay, off to work. I'll respond to some of the other posts as soon as I have time to read them. In the meantime, good luck with the training guys!

--Chris
2008-07-02 7:15 AM
in reply to: #1493848

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
JChristoff - 2008-06-27 8:27 AM
As for the Competition

Mon: 45min run, 40min swim
Tue: 1:30 ride
Wed: 1:30 run, 40min swim
Thu: 2:00 ride, 10min brick
Fri: 45min run, 40min swim
Sat: 3:00 ride
Sun: off (elliptical & core extra)

Totals: 2:00 swim, 3:10 run, 6:30 ride

Well getting sick kinds screwed the plan... Plus the family is supposed to get together on Thurs night so that scraps that ride... I will try and keep this plan for next week though.

2008-07-02 8:01 AM
in reply to: #1503521

User image

Extreme Veteran
Too bad, Justin. Get better and good luck on the recovery. Luckily you have a long weekend coming up so hopefully that will help get you back to normal.

--Chris
2008-07-02 8:18 AM
in reply to: #1503609

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Concretechris - 2008-07-02 9:01 AM

Too bad, Justin. Get better and good luck on the recovery. Luckily you have a long weekend coming up so hopefully that will help get you back to normal.

--Chris

Thanks Chris.... Got some good stuff this weekend planned for sure.
2008-07-02 8:20 AM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
David and Thomas... If you are interested I am gonna be riding out of my house on Saturday morning for a 50+ miler if either or both want to join in just drop me an email or give me a call.
2008-07-02 9:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
So, I'm reading "Lore of Running" and was wondering if anyone else had checked it out. Although very technical in nature it is a really compelling and fascinating look at the science of running (and endurance training in general). I thought it was also interesting to note that he makes a pretty strong case AGAINST using V02 max and/or heart rate as the basis for training measurement...or at least as a predictor/measurement of performance. I'd try to summarize the reasons he has presented but I'm sure I wouldn't do them justice ;-(

So, I'm curious what technical data everyone is using to determine their zones, how they use that data/zones and what results they've seen? So far, I've purely used RPE but have considered using heart rate and/or having my VO2 tested based only on the fact that both methods seem commonly accepted and used in the tri community. But I've never been one to follow the crowd and since what I'm reading about both methods casts some doubts I thought I'd check in with you guys.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

--Chris
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z group is FULL!!!!!! Rss Feed  

of 25