Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2008-04-22 11:21 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: Newbz'z group is FULL!!!!!!
NAME: David Savoie

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my bike and i have a wonderful girlfriend

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I am ramping up the training after my first race of the season this past weekend. My total volume is not as high as i would like to see due to some pool closures and a recent comeback after a tibial stress fracture, but its finally starting to get there. I have been on my bike a lot this winter due to that though:-)

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Last year saw a big mix of results in the longer distances, and a lot of great sprint and olympic races. I think over the course of march to oct i raced a totaly 15 times in multisport races and had a fantastic 2nd season with a number of top 5 finishes and more fun than i would have thought possible.

2008 RACES: My season this year is based around a few key A races and smaller races that i will train through.
the big ones this season are:
American triple T
Rockman Half Iron
Powerman OH
Beaches2Battleship full iron.

In addition to these i will be racing most of the HFP series of races, split about 50/50 between sprint and olympic

WEIGHTLOSS: down 10 pounds from new years

2008 GOALS: my two main goals this season are to break 2 hours in an olympic race and to see how much i can improve my run and swims.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I've been given a lot of chances in the sport from volunteers, and from other races since i started in triathlon. I would love the chance to give something back and help others out as they start down the road to their first (or 2nd or 3rd..) triathlon. This is an amazing sport, and not a hard one to get into, but at times it can be overwhelming and having someone there to bounce ideas off of is always helpful, and i hope i can be as much help to someone else as many were for me.

Edited by newbz 2008-04-30 1:52 PM

2008-04-23 10:01 AM
in reply to: #1354430

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Subject: RE: Newbz'z group is OPEN

Hey Dave, I'd like to join your group if I can.  Downside is that I am only a duathlete.  The upside is that I am from Washington Court House, Ohio, and have some of the HFP race series races scheduled including the Olentangy Duathlon that I see you have scheduled -so we can meet and race face to face some.

I also wanted someone who is faster than me.  I started duathlon training on 7/28/2008 after 9.5 years of doing nothing.  I am an ex-cyclist (1993-1997), ex OSU Rower (1989-1993).  I've had good runnig and riding times in the past and hope to get them back or close to them.  I've got a wife and kids who support me.

Weightloss:  40lbs since 2006.  30lbs since Feb. 2007, 20lbs since July 2008.  Currently 6' 2" and 188-192.

Goals.  Get 5K times down under 21:00 and bike speed over 22MPH (during duathlon competions).  Get decently fast at the sprint duathlon lengths.

Thanks for the consideration.

2008-04-23 10:56 AM

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio

Hi Dave,

I would love to be in your group also. I am in Portsmouth Ohio,,,home of the TTT race. I am doing this as my "A" race this year. I also am doing HFP races this year.

About me: I am 47 yr old married mom and grandmom..this is my 3rd season doing Tri's .

I am working to get faster in all 3 parts of the Tri but my strongest, if I have to have a strongest is my bike.

Weight: I have lost over 100 lbs in the last 5 yrs and am looking to get 10-15lbs more to get to my race weight.

Races: DeSoto TTT Solo (2nd time)

Caesar Creek Tri in July  Oly dist.

Great Buckeye Challenge  Aug  1/2 Iron

Toyota Challenge        Sept.  1/2 Iron

2008 Goals: to Finish TTT with faster bike and run splits and to get the other 1/2 Iron races done this year...last year I dropped to to the shorter distance.

I would love to have someone locally to may be meet up with at races and who also has the local knowelge to help me not get discouraged.

Thanks,

Chris

2008-04-23 12:44 PM
in reply to: #1356639

User image

Expert
DieuEtMonDroit - 2008-04-23 11:01 AM

Hey Dave, I'd like to join your group if I can.  Downside is that I am only a duathlete.  The upside is that I am from Washington Court House, Ohio, and have some of the HFP race series races scheduled including the Olentangy Duathlon that I see you have scheduled -so we can meet and race face to face some.

I also wanted someone who is faster than me.  I started duathlon training on 7/28/2008 after 9.5 years of doing nothing.  I am an ex-cyclist (1993-1997), ex OSU Rower (1989-1993).  I've had good runnig and riding times in the past and hope to get them back or close to them.  I've got a wife and kids who support me.

Weightloss:  40lbs since 2006.  30lbs since Feb. 2007, 20lbs since July 2008.  Currently 6' 2" and 188-192.

Goals.  Get 5K times down under 21:00 and bike speed over 22MPH (during duathlon competions).  Get decently fast at the sprint duathlon lengths.

Thanks for the consideration.

Not that it matters, but my weightloss numbers should be 30lbs, 20lbs, 10lbs, not 40, 30, 20.

For some reason I was calculating the a current weight of 180 instead of 190.

2008-04-24 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1356806

User image

Champion
Guys thanks for joining the group!

A little more about myself since i seem to have left the about me part off my profile there.

I was a rower all through highschool, and and my first two years of college (i'm at denison graduating in two weeks), those last two years were spent trainign for the U23 team. i ended up hurting my back and quiting rowing, and at the prodding of a friend gave triathlon a shot. My first race was three years ago at the miami univeristy tri put on by HFP. i just want back to the same race this season and had a blast!

I am training and trying to get an elite card this season, but we'll see where that goes! I am also coaching a few athletes in both rowing and triathlon, and hope to make that a full time career once i am out of school.

Chris: great job on finishing TTT last season, that is one tough race. i "raced" it last season for the first time, and had a blast despite a few issues. i crashed coming down a hill in the frist olympic race, and had a triple flat near the end of the half on sunday and ended up dropping out. i'm deff looking forward to giving it another shot this season! aside from TTT i should be at ceaser creak and poss great buckeye or the toyota half depending on how the rest of my season pans out.

Thomas: were you rowing at OSU when ryan briggs or jay smith were there?
The cycling and running goals look great and will deff be doable with some training this season. I am still unsure as to what is going on with olentangy this season, i am going to be there for sure, but not sure whether i am racing solo or as a relay (i have a race the weekend before, and then a few big ones the weeks after).

Both of you (and anyone else that joins): please feel free to ask questions regarding training, bike help, nutrition or anything else you are looking for answers to. I should be able to help, and if not i'll point you in the right direction.

I'm really looking forward to working with you guys this season,

David
2008-04-24 8:39 PM

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Hi! Still open? If so, I'd like to join in.
Vital Stats:
Married (17 years) 3 kids, girl (14), boy (13), girl (9), dog (1)
Lawyer -- in-house with Fortune 500 company. I actually LOVE my job (which I just started a month ago), but I now have a 50 minute commute each way. I used to have a 5 minute commute each way, so this part of it sucks -- kills my training time, BIG TIME.
Interests: Triathlon (obsession, of course), World music, suspense fiction
Triathlons: Around November 2006, after several years of lassitude, I set completing a sprint tri as a goal. 8 months and 15 pounds late, I crossed the finish of the NJ State sprint in 1:29 -- a full 15 minutes ahead of my goal and I was totally hooked. I did another sprint -- Patanella's Buckman -- and it aboslutely KILLED me -- I strained my back and went the last 3 1/2 weeks before the race without once getting on my bike or running.
Goals for '08 Season: finish the Philly Tri - Olympic and to re-do the Buckman sprint in better time.
MAJOR CHALLENGES:
Like I said, a month ago I started a new job and it is cutting deeply into my training time;
A week ago, moving boxes, I re-strained my back -- so now I'm in PT/recovery mode;
The 2 above create a lot of mental tension -- not training so not having a physical outlet plus anxiety about being ready to race on 6/22.

Swimming is my best sport, biking my favorite, running my toughest and least favorite (but tolerable). I love Tri's because of the intense thrill of finishing and the wonderful comraderie. Best to all.

2008-04-24 8:53 PM
in reply to: #1360693

User image

Champion
Elliot,

nice to meet you and glad to have you on board. Lets hope for the best with your back (back issues are never fun). nice job on the sprint last season, and that is a great time! the commute can deff eat into training time but with even an hour or two a day (or less), you can deff put in a lot of progress towards your goals. being consistant will go much further than big volume ever will (well until you hit a very very high level).

let me know if you have questions!
2008-04-25 9:02 AM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
David if it is still open I would like to join in...

NAME: Justin Christoff

FAMILY STATUS: Married, for 5 years in August

CURRENT TRAINING: Using a combination of the HIM plan from Trifuel.com and the free plan from here on BT.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Wendy's International Sprint, Columbus International Sprint (DNF), Portage Lakes Olympic

2008 RACES:
5/4: Ohio State University Triathlon Sprint
6/8: Wendy's International Sprint
7/20: Columbus International Olympic
8/24: Great Buckeye Challenge HIM

2008 GOALS:
To get better on the run and bike. I am pretty good in the water for a beginner... but I want to get faster running and biking. I am sure I could loose a couple of pounds but I am not particularly doing this sport for weightloss.

My key this season is consistency. Last year I was not very consistent in training and although I did make improvements in endurance I am not where I would like to be. I really believe that this lack of consistency contributed directly to my injury this winter (proximal hamstring strain) and lackluster improvements in speed.

I also want to get a good feeling for a training regimine. Right now I am just running a certain time/distance/route as a work out. I have not thrown in any interval work, tempo runs, etc. I am working on getting the right LT HR zones determined to help me train... and most of all learn how to train smarter.

WHAT DO I WANT OUT OF THIS EXPERIENCE: I will gladly listen and help when I can. I am not inexperienced but I know that there is still a lot for me to learn about this sport. I have been in other mentor groups but I want to see what I get out of another group before I take the step and become a mentor myself.
2008-04-25 11:19 AM
in reply to: #1361264

User image

Champion
Justin,

First welcome on board, and yes we still have plenty of room.

as i mentioned before to someone else, consistancy is deff one of the key parts of this sport (and any endurance sport). getting out there on a regular basis, even for shorter time periods, will do wonders (both in speed and injury prevention). I too injured myself last winter due to no consistancy and trying to do a hard workout here and there without the proper training, and ended up missing 10 weeks of running due to it:-(

I am racing OSU as well so i'll forward to meeting you there.

As i have said to the others, please feel free to shoot any questions you have my way and i'll see what i can do!

David
2008-04-25 1:09 PM

User image

Expert

Chris, keep up the work.  Have fun with those longer events.  J I'll stick with the shorties.

Elliot:  I've had a 50 minute commute since Oct 1999.  I don't like it but I also don't think about it anymore.  Try to find a good carpool and hang in there with the training.  I recently ramped up my efforts to try to meet my goals.  I hope you find your balance.

Justin: Looks like your training times point towards some big improvement this year.

David: I think I remember Ryan Briggs.  Jay Smith does not ring a bell at all.  The Ryan Briggs name has also left me hazy.  When I hear the name I always wonder if he is the guy I knew or if I knew a Ryan Briggs, or a Brian Riggs, or a Ryan Biggs.  The kid (kid back then) I knew was from Marietta, Ohio and rowed some for the University of Cincinnati too I think.  He had red/redish hair and rowed as a lightweight (probably 5’ 6” to 5’8&rdquo.  If he is the same guy your thinking of, I think we were novice rowers together in 1989 but he was only on the team for 1 or 2 years.

2008-04-25 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1362095

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
DieuEtMonDroit - 2008-04-25 2:09 PM

Chris, keep up the work. Have fun with those longer events. J I'll stick with the shorties.

Elliot: I've had a 50 minute commute since Oct 1999. I don't like it but I also don't think about it anymore. Try to find a good carpool and hang in there with the training. I recently ramped up my efforts to try to meet my goals. I hope you find your balance.

I have about 50-60min everyday for about a year now. I used to live litterally 1.5mi from work. Needless to say the budget for gas took a major revision.

Justin: Looks like your training times point towards some big improvement this year.

Let's hope... I have been really happy with the output... but I think I am going way to hard on a normal training day. I just need to test to get the right HR zones. I tested a couple weeks ago for the run but I feel like the results are bunk. I have to push pretty hard to get to Z2 and that doesn't make logical sense to me.

2008-04-25 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1361701

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
newbz - 2008-04-25 12:19 PM

Justin,

First welcome on board, and yes we still have plenty of room.

as i mentioned before to someone else, consistancy is deff one of the key parts of this sport (and any endurance sport). getting out there on a regular basis, even for shorter time periods, will do wonders (both in speed and injury prevention). I too injured myself last winter due to no consistancy and trying to do a hard workout here and there without the proper training, and ended up missing 10 weeks of running due to it:-(

I am racing OSU as well so i'll forward to meeting you there.

As i have said to the others, please feel free to shoot any questions you have my way and i'll see what i can do!

David

Thanks David... We definately should try to meet up. Looking at the list I pulled together there will be a good amount of us BTers.
2008-04-25 7:04 PM
in reply to: #1362095

User image

Champion
haha yep thats him, red hair, ltwt, and crazy sense of humor.

i orwed with him a few summers ago my last bit of highschool and summer after my freshman year.
2008-04-26 6:37 AM

New user

auab

Hey hows it going. I was hoping I could join your group. I am 33 and an active duty sailor deployed to the midde east. I just got into tris, lets say at breakfast because I am such a newbie. Being in the military I run a lot, I also did spinning classes all winter. I am riding a mountain bike back and forth to work and when I need to get around. I am planning on running a tri this season in Sept. if I am back in time. I will be getting over the swim porition of training Monday when I hit the pool and star practicing drills I found through a link on this site. I really hope to be home to compleete and at least finish my first sprint but I won't get discoouraged if work keeps me away and I have to train all winter for next season.

Noticed there were a few Buckeyes here so being from Lancaster, I figured this was the place.

2008-04-26 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1363274

User image

Champion
glad to have you on board!

I ma at school just north of lancaster (denison), and train down there a lot.

i'll write more later, am headed for a birthday dinner:-)
2008-04-26 7:29 PM

User image

Fishers, IN
I would love to join also if you are still open. I need some encouragement and mentoring in particular when it comes to the swimming aspect of training. I have a reasonable background in running and cycling. In 2000, as I turned 38 at 5'10" I weighed 236 and decided it was time to change. I started running and cycling (whenever injured from running). Got my weight down to 160-165. I've run five marathons now, having a PR of 2:56 at age 46. Kind of tired of high mileage and pounding and just having my second torn meniscus operation it is time to balance things out. I think cycling may be my stronger suit based on group rides I have done, but never have raced. I began training for tri's for about three months in late 2006 while I swam for about 3 months going into the winter. I never raced and pretty much gravitated back to my old favorites as my tri motivation waned. Having just completed Boston, most my running goals accomplished (though I still would like to go under 2:50 in the marathon) I jumped in the pool this past week. Some day, after I get my swimming in order, I would love to do an ironman. That however is down the road a year or two. This summer I would like to do at least one Olympic distance and some sprints. I could use all the encouragement I can get to stick with this. Hopefully some day I will learn to enjoy the swimming like the other two endurance events.

I'd love to be a part of your team if your still taking on students,

Greg

2008-04-26 7:58 PM
in reply to: #1363274

User image

Expert
dirtsailor - 2008-04-26 7:37 AM

Hey hows it going. I was hoping I could join your group. I am 33 and an active duty sailor deployed to the midde east. I just got into tris, lets say at breakfast because I am such a newbie. Being in the military I run a lot, I also did spinning classes all winter. I am riding a mountain bike back and forth to work and when I need to get around. I am planning on running a tri this season in Sept. if I am back in time. I will be getting over the swim porition of training Monday when I hit the pool and star practicing drills I found through a link on this site. I really hope to be home to compleete and at least finish my first sprint but I won't get discoouraged if work keeps me away and I have to train all winter for next season.

Noticed there were a few Buckeyes here so being from Lancaster, I figured this was the place.

Hey glad to have you.  I am a US Army verteran.  If your Sept race is at Deer Creek, I hope you make it because I'll be there (of course speaking for everyone, we hope you get back in time for all the bigger reasons than triathlons).  Good luck.

2008-04-26 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1363954

New user

auab
Unfortunately I will just be getting back to my squadron in Washington. I am planning on doing the Flowing Lake Sprint in Snohomish. I need to look around and see what all is going on in Ohio this summer and plan leave back home around an event or two. That way I have a good excuse to pack the family up too and they aren't bored at a race.
2008-04-27 6:53 PM
in reply to: #1363913

User image

Champion
welcome!

i have room for a few more and then we'll close this up!

i'm going to put up a larger message to the whole group once i close this, but keep any questions you guys have coming.
2008-04-27 10:40 PM

User image

New user

Hi David,

I'd like to join your group if it's still open. I turn 40 this year and have been overweight for a long time so I thought that doing a sprint would be a good way for me to jumpstart my weight loss program, be a good example for my son and to see if I can do it. 

Maybe I'm being naive but I'm pretty confident that I can complete a sprint but I'm worried about how tired I will be after the swim.

How worried should I be about being totally spent after the swim and do you have some advice for someone that is a total beginner to swimming and to triathlons? 

Thanks, Mike

2008-04-28 1:49 AM
in reply to: #1365515

User image

Champion
Mike,

welcome!

How much training if any have you done thus far? are you ok swimming the distances you are looking at (if not thats totally fine, i didnt know how to swim a few months before me first race).

If you can get to the point where you can swim the race distance in practice somewhat comfortably, you will be fine in the race. you will be tired for sure, but its nothing that will hurt you down the road.

let me know about what you can/have done thus far and i'll get some more specific answers to you.

thanks!

2008-04-28 6:05 PM

User image

Veteran

Hopefully I can still slide in before you close this group.  Looks like most have significantly more experience in endurance sports than I do, but if it doesn't bother you guys it will be motivating for me.

I turn 40 this summer.  Started walking and running in November...weighing 243 and was running for 1 min...walking for 2 and could barely swim the length of the pool.   Got my weight down over 30 pounds and 10 days ago I completed a mini-sprint (300swim/9bike/2.25run).  

Scheduled events: 

Gearwest Duathlon 5/18

Buffala (MN) Sprint Tri 6/1

Deadwood 1/2M 6/8 (hopefully)

....then who knows

Hopefully there is still room for me in this group!

Alan

Big Stone City, SD

2008-04-28 6:58 PM
in reply to: #1367809

User image

Fishers, IN
Sounds like where I started a few years ago. The competition makes for a much more interesting motivator to lose weight than any other I can think of. Congrats on taking off the 30 lbs. Diet alone just never worked for me. When I started I couldn't even run on a tread mill. Had to start on the elliptical and work my way up. I'm yet to do a tri, but I hear it can be a bit addictive! What did you think of your first?
2008-04-28 7:55 PM
in reply to: #1367809

User image

Champion
yep still have room, i think we are going to shoot for one or two more people and then we'll close this up.

glad to have you and it looks like your off to a great start!

David
2008-04-28 8:08 PM
in reply to: #1367917

User image

Veteran

rc63413 - 2008-04-28 6:58 PM Sounds like where I started a few years ago. The competition makes for a much more interesting motivator to lose weight than any other I can think of. Congrats on taking off the 30 lbs. Diet alone just never worked for me. When I started I couldn't even run on a tread mill. Had to start on the elliptical and work my way up. I'm yet to do a tri, but I hear it can be a bit addictive! What did you think of your first?

What did I think of the first tri?  That all depends on when you ask.  As I started the run, with both calves and one hamstring completely cramped, all I could think about was "all the work you've done to get ready....it apparently wasn't enough!!!"  Then after it was over while I was bent over thinking about throwing up and I remembered that "addictive" rumor that I had heard, I couldn't imagine that being "addictive."  

....the next day I went online and signed up for another one!  Great feeling of accomplishment.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z group is FULL!!!!!! Rss Feed  

of 25