General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-10-10 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3231479

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona : Official Thread

Just wanting to vent some, was notified this morning that the hotel I had a reservation at just went out of business.....  Great!    Vent over, thanks.  Now on to find a new hotel. 

2011-10-10 12:32 PM
in reply to: #3717808

Arlington, MA
Damn, which one was it. That sucks
2011-10-10 1:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Comfort Suites at ASU.  Found a Days Inn right next door.  Anyone know anything about the rail / bus system in Tempe?
2011-10-10 9:42 PM
in reply to: #3717879

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

MarkK - 2011-10-10 1:11 PM Comfort Suites at ASU.  Found a Days Inn right next door.  Anyone know anything about the rail / bus system in Tempe?

You should be fine.  The light rail goes right by the Days Inn, and it has a stop just about 1/4 mile south of Tempe Beach Park, which is IM central and the finish line/transition area.

Here is a link to the Metro site.  You can pre-pay fares and get more info on rail routes, times, etc.

http://www.valleymetro.org/rail/index.html

2011-10-10 10:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
This weekend we had a cold front in CO (it actually snowed here!), so I was forced to do my long brick indoors! I ended up getting up at 4AM to knock out a 5hr. trainer ride/1hr. run, so I would still have a good portion of the day to spend with my boys. IT WAS CRAZY! I did the IMAZ spinerval and watched 2 movies and by the end I was DONE! I am so glad I stuck with it and finished it, but I hope I will NEVER have to do that again!!!
2011-10-11 2:23 AM
in reply to: #3718666

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
Hit 19 hours training last week.   This week should be a bit more.  Tired but feeling strong.

2011-10-11 4:19 AM

User image

Regular
Kirkwood, Mo.

ouradventure - 2011-10-10 10:13 PM This weekend we had a cold front in CO (it actually snowed here!), so I was forced to do my long brick indoors! I ended up getting up at 4AM to knock out a 5hr. trainer ride/1hr. run, so I would still have a good portion of the day to spend with my boys. IT WAS CRAZY! I did the IMAZ spinerval and watched 2 movies and by the end I was DONE! I am so glad I stuck with it and finished it, but I hope I will NEVER have to do that again!!!

Nice job on the Drainer ride!  I may have to do that this weekend.  We are moving into our new home on saturday and that would be the only way for me to get the long ride in.  Not looking forward to it.

2011-10-11 6:10 AM
in reply to: #3718633

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
101abp40 - 2011-10-10 9:42 PM

MarkK - 2011-10-10 1:11 PM Comfort Suites at ASU.  Found a Days Inn right next door.  Anyone know anything about the rail / bus system in Tempe?

You should be fine.  The light rail goes right by the Days Inn, and it has a stop just about 1/4 mile south of Tempe Beach Park, which is IM central and the finish line/transition area.

Here is a link to the Metro site.  You can pre-pay fares and get more info on rail routes, times, etc.

http://www.valleymetro.org/rail/index.html

Thanks for the info and the link!

2011-10-11 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

ouradventure - 2011-10-10 9:13 PM This weekend we had a cold front in CO (it actually snowed here!), so I was forced to do my long brick indoors! I ended up getting up at 4AM to knock out a 5hr. trainer ride/1hr. run, so I would still have a good portion of the day to spend with my boys. IT WAS CRAZY! I did the IMAZ spinerval and watched 2 movies and by the end I was DONE! I am so glad I stuck with it and finished it, but I hope I will NEVER have to do that again!!!

My first reaction to the snow when I got up was "kind of looks peaceful" and then I realized I'd be spending 5 hours in my garage. Watched portions of Kona and a couple of movies as well. How was the IMAZ spinnerval?  Let's keep our fingers crossed we have at least a couple more weeks of sunshine on the weekends

Skip the rest of this post if you are grossed out easily....

I woke up Monday and peed blood...a lot of blood. No trauma that I know of over the weekend. Even my workouts felt easy (boring, but easy). Got into my doc's office a few hours later and though everything appeared normal by then, they still found more blood. Poked, prodded, and questioned for a couple of hours and they think it's probably related to the training (especially the time in the saddle on the trainer), but they aren't certain. Waiting for blood test results and possibly a referral to another doc. Of course, now I'm really paying attention to every little feeling, etc so I *think* I feel fine, but now I'm paranoid. Not in any pain, etc. Would appreciate everyone keeping their fingers crossed that it's just my body saying "I hate that saddle, get me a better one please".

Edited by syscrash 2011-10-11 11:47 AM
2011-10-11 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3719351

Arlington, MA
syscrash - 2011-10-11 11:45 AM

ouradventure - 2011-10-10 9:13 PM This weekend we had a cold front in CO (it actually snowed here!), so I was forced to do my long brick indoors! I ended up getting up at 4AM to knock out a 5hr. trainer ride/1hr. run, so I would still have a good portion of the day to spend with my boys. IT WAS CRAZY! I did the IMAZ spinerval and watched 2 movies and by the end I was DONE! I am so glad I stuck with it and finished it, but I hope I will NEVER have to do that again!!!

My first reaction to the snow when I got up was "kind of looks peaceful" and then I realized I'd be spending 5 hours in my garage. Watched portions of Kona and a couple of movies as well. How was the IMAZ spinnerval?  Let's keep our fingers crossed we have at least a couple more weeks of sunshine on the weekends

Skip the rest of this post if you are grossed out easily....

I woke up Monday and peed blood...a lot of blood. No trauma that I know of over the weekend. Even my workouts felt easy (boring, but easy). Got into my doc's office a few hours later and though everything appeared normal by then, they still found more blood. Poked, prodded, and questioned for a couple of hours and they think it's probably related to the training (especially the time in the saddle on the trainer), but they aren't certain. Waiting for blood test results and possibly a referral to another doc. Of course, now I'm really paying attention to every little feeling, etc so I *think* I feel fine, but now I'm paranoid. Not in any pain, etc. Would appreciate everyone keeping their fingers crossed that it's just my body saying "I hate that saddle, get me a better one please".

Damn, thats stinks. Hope all turns out ok and glad your feeling ok.

2011-10-11 1:20 PM
in reply to: #3719466

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Riding outside is finally getting nice here.   Down in the 70's instead of the 90's/100's  5.5 hours yesterday and a century planned for Saturday.

Anyway...  Who is familliar with the IMAZ course?  Is it really as flat as it seems when I map it?  Or is it "rolling"?  It looks like it's about a constant 0.5% for 20 miles then tilts up to a whopping 1% to the turn around point, back down and repeat x2.

2011-10-11 3:08 PM
in reply to: #3719526

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Kido - 2011-10-11 11:20 AM

Riding outside is finally getting nice here.   Down in the 70's instead of the 90's/100's  5.5 hours yesterday and a century planned for Saturday.

Anyway...  Who is familliar with the IMAZ course?  Is it really as flat as it seems when I map it?  Or is it "rolling"?  It looks like it's about a constant 0.5% for 20 miles then tilts up to a whopping 1% to the turn around point, back down and repeat x2.

Exactly- no it is not rolling. You had out fairly flatish, then go "up" a bit, then turn around, come down, go flatish to the turn around point, repeat, repeat again, then RUN!

2011-10-11 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3719526

User image

Kido - 2011-10-11 11:20 AM

Through town it is all flat, although you are gaining a bit of altitude.  Beeline is a gradual rise to a...  hill ?  Not really a hill, but if it's windy by the third time, it'll be a PITA.  Certainly not rolling, more like that annoying false flat ride where you think you should be going faster than you are, but just aren't?

I noticed when I did it that a lot of folks were in the big ring all the way up Beeline from the first loop.  I dropped it to the small ring all three loops. 

2011-10-11 5:40 PM

I heard from a friend that Phoenix area is experiencing a bit of an Indian Summer where the temps are still getting upwards of 100 this late in the year. I am hoping this means Tempe Town Lake will stay warmer longer and not be close to 60 by 11/20.  Can anyone confirm my info / suspicions?
2011-10-11 5:43 PM
in reply to: #3719914

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Jose, CA
jmorgantri - 2011-10-11 3:40 PM

I heard from a friend that Phoenix area is experiencing a bit of an Indian Summer where the temps are still getting upwards of 100 this late in the year. I am hoping this means Tempe Town Lake will stay warmer longer and not be close to 60 by 11/20.  Can anyone confirm my info / suspicions?

I would certainly love that. I'll be down there this weekend and swimming in the lake for a race Saturday. While air temps are still warm, the lake is currently 71. When I raced IM AZ 2 years ago, the lake was still nice and warm in late October but just a couple of cooler weeks in early November dropped it to 60 degrees by race day. It goes *really* fast - so you have to hope for warmer November weather to sustain it.
2011-10-11 8:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
SYSCRASH: OMG!! That must have really freaked you out! I hope you are able to figure out what caused it and how to prevent it from happening again!

2011-10-11 9:40 PM
in reply to: #3720104

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

ouradventure - 2011-10-11 7:34 PM SYSCRASH: OMG!! That must have really freaked you out! I hope you are able to figure out what caused it and how to prevent it from happening again!

X2!

I saw this on the IMAZ website. Has anyone used these?   See below

"No Aqua socks (neoprene booties) unless the water temperature is 65.0 degrees Fahrenheit or colder"

2011-10-12 5:55 AM

User image

Veteran
First all Good luck to all of you.....I cant wait to read your race reports.....since I HOPE to register for IM Arizona 2012....I was wondering what Airport to fly into when traveling to Arizona?  Also what were some of the more reasonable places to stay at besides the host hotel....looking for something close but reasonable in price.....also when id everyone start booking there accomadations....sorry for all the questions just trying to start geting things together
2011-10-12 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3720376

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

Jorgito22 - 2011-10-12 4:55 AM First all Good luck to all of you.....I cant wait to read your race reports.....since I HOPE to register for IM Arizona 2012....I was wondering what Airport to fly into when traveling to Arizona?  Also what were some of the more reasonable places to stay at besides the host hotel....looking for something close but reasonable in price.....also when id everyone start booking there accomadations....sorry for all the questions just trying to start geting things together

I flew into Phoenix when I went last year to volunteer. I stayed with my uncle. The room was clean and the price couldn't be beat. I'll definitely stay there again (read: I can't help with hotels).  This year, however, my family will be there with me. We've rented a condo somewhere. IIRC it wasn't too pricey. We booked that probably three months ago. Good luck on getting into 2012!

On another note: Thanks for the concern from everyone with whatever is going on with me. I am still waiting to hear anything from my doctor, but they said test results could take a few days. I'm still following my training program and I feel great. Everything "appears" normal, but more time will tell I guess.

2011-10-12 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3721399

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'm sure I can figure it out, but it's easier just to ask!

For those who have RACED before, what's the logistics on race morning?  I can't compare it to IMSG.  There, we found local parking at the finish and they bused us out to the swim start.

Is there reserved parking for athletes like they had for volunteers?  I figure I would stay at a hotel a bit further from the venue or my friends house (about 20 minutes out).  BUT, I don't want to have to fight for parking when I should be setting up transition.

2011-10-12 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3721417

User image

Kido - 2011-10-12 12:50 PM

I'm sure I can figure it out, but it's easier just to ask!

For those who have RACED before, what's the logistics on race morning?  I can't compare it to IMSG.  There, we found local parking at the finish and they bused us out to the swim start.

Is there reserved parking for athletes like they had for volunteers?  I figure I would stay at a hotel a bit further from the venue or my friends house (about 20 minutes out).  BUT, I don't want to have to fight for parking when I should be setting up transition.

Park in the US Airways building 500 feet from the finish.  Free.

2011-10-12 7:22 PM

User image

Veteran
United States Military Academy

The parking garage is as convenient as it gets.  There are plenty of parking spaces and it is less than a 5 minute walk from the Tempe Beach Park.  

On another note - I am feeling these peak weeks!!!  I feel sluggish on all of my workouts.  I am trying to keep the motivation up for 1.5 more weeks of peak mileage.  

2011-10-12 10:43 PM
in reply to: #3721842

User image

Sensei
Sin City
cordova78 - 2011-10-12 5:22 PM

The parking garage is as convenient as it gets.  There are plenty of parking spaces and it is less than a 5 minute walk from the Tempe Beach Park.  

On another note - I am feeling these peak weeks!!!  I feel sluggish on all of my workouts.  I am trying to keep the motivation up for 1.5 more weeks of peak mileage.  

Yeah, I got two more long rides and two more long runs to go...  One of the runs is tomorrow and I signed up for a local century ride this weekend for one of the bikes.  It's really nice to have a group thing to count as training.  My second long run will be in London or Paris next week!  YAY!

I will have to put my last long bike off untill I return - a 6+ hour session.  I'm hoping I can talk someone into suffering with me.

2011-10-13 8:29 AM

User image

Expert

I have enjoyed reading the thread over the past couple of weeks as I am signed up to volunteer at run aid station #5 from 10-12 and am excited to cheer you on.  

I have a question for any of you who have done the race before or who are from there.  When I volunteered for IMFL, I took my wetsuit and did a practice swim in the ocean so I'd know what the swim would be like on race day.  Since the water temps can be cold in AZ, I was hoping to do the same thing this year.  I get really cold really easy on the swim and would like to swim in the water while there.  According to the athlete guide, ONLY this year's participants can do the practice swim and they must have their wristband and chip.  Is there any way for me to be able to do a practice swim or are they really strict about it?

2011-10-13 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3722303

User image

New user

Wisconsin
Regarding the practice swim.  When I did IM Louisville earlier this year they were very strict about the chip and wrist band. They actually had a gate/fence set up for water entry and exit with a timing pad to confirm.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 35