General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-07-12 4:57 PM
in reply to: #3591731

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread

Where do you find your wave start?

I'm staying south of town at the Holiday Inn in Pleasant Prairie. What is the best route to take to get to the start? Also, what time should I leave? If there is anyone that has knowledge of the area please let me know. I'm coming from a ways away!

2011-07-12 5:06 PM
in reply to: #3262258

User image

Regular
Just looked at the weather again! 92 degrees with it feeling like 102 degrees! Good thing I have been running in the heat!

Does any one eat this week? Having a hard time!

2011-07-12 5:09 PM

Expert
Golden, CO
Swim start is posted on the web page under the heading Course. 
2011-07-12 6:58 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Whoa, if the weather is going to get that hot, make sure you guys stay really hydrated during your taper.  It's been very hot here in Indiana.  My runs have been slow in the heat.  So I guess that's what I'll expect this Sunday.  Of course even slower after the swim and bike, LOL.
2011-07-12 7:23 PM

User image

Master
Small Town

Hey hey - with weather as hot as it's expected to be, start seriously hydrating today.  It does take your body a few days of proper hydration in order for you to truly reap the benefits.  Be conscientious of overall nutrition intake so that you don't put yourself at risk of depleting your electrolytes (sodium specifically).   Personally I take in an extra liter a day.  Stay on it through the race.

For those hoping to give family members some tracking info - the day of the race friends can go to the Ironman or Ironman Racine websites for live tracking info (regular updates based on your chip times) but historically this system fails at some point.

For dinner on Saturday - anyone want to head up a group text message that we could use for the food plans... I'd hate to miss out on food and I'm stoked to meet a bunch of you.

This will be my second time at this venue with last year being my first HIM.  So I can truly empathize with the noobie nerves posted here.  Just remember that you ARE well trained and whether you feel mentally prepared or not, your body is ready to rock!  I love the statement that the most difficult aspect to a triathlon is simply getting to the start line.

I'll be staying at the Marriott.  My wife will be at the race for the duration and would be willing to hold on to some small personal objects.  So for those who don't want to leave valuables in the locked transition area, you could instead leave them with a complete stranger   Just let her know Saturday night at dinner and we'll meet up before the race.

One last aspect to consider - first timers: you will still want to be at the race site (transition) before the race start.  You'll be able to get in the transition area and finalize your setup.  Double check everything!

2011-07-12 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3592857

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
rcntly4298 - 2011-07-12 12:40 PM Forecast keeps getting worse everytime I check on it. http://www.accuweather.com/us/wi/racine/53401/forecast-month.asp?vi... />

Stop looking please.  :)

Edited by coredump 2011-07-12 8:57 PM

2011-07-12 9:22 PM
in reply to: #3593785

User image

Los Angeles
at least the lake should be warm with those temps!
2011-07-12 9:35 PM
in reply to: #3592857

90 miles south of Titletown, USA
rcntly4298 - 2011-07-12 12:40 PM

Forecast keeps getting worse everytime I check on it.

http://www.accuweather.com/us/wi/racine/53401/forecast-month.asp?vi...

Maybe you should quit looking at the forecast? :-) Why worry about something that is totally out of your control? Worry about a bike mechanical or something that could really put you out of commission. ;-)

We can all suffer together. good luck and have fun.
2011-07-13 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3593785

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

coredump - 2011-07-12 8:57 PM
rcntly4298 - 2011-07-12 12:40 PM Forecast keeps getting worse everytime I check on it. http://www.accuweather.com/us/wi/racine/53401/forecast-month.asp?vi... />

Stop looking please.  

I think it's a bit like passing that ugly looking car accident where you don't want to look, but for some unknown reason you do.  Anyway, things don't look pretty for the weekend and I'm already starting to accept the fact that my time goals will be horribly unrealistic in that type of heat.  Soooo.....I just need to talk myself into believing that I am okay with a new goal of "just finish" even though I know I will not like my finish time.

2011-07-13 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3594111

User image

Regular
At that distance, that is always my goal and it is a good one to have! I will pray for all of us and our families that we are all safe and enjoy the experience!

2011-07-13 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3590342

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
Here are the latest on dinner for Satuday. I will make the reservation on Wednesday so anyone feel free to give a preference on location, I think we went to Infusinos last year.1. Chasingkona/Ben/22. abake /Anne/2 3 kimk/???/24. eddievolleyEddie/25. guppie/Suzanne/16. JHag/Jeremy/27. Lyoshka/Lena/3 8. swiss tri/Stephen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sorry, please knock one off my attendees request, I'm flying solo on race weekend.eddievolly/Eddie/1

2011-07-13 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3593161

User image

Extreme Veteran

Lyoshka - 2011-07-12 2:34 PM Ok, questions (i hope somebody knows the answers): Are we seriously not allowed to have earphones on the run? (that would be a huge bummer, but not worth getting disqualified over, so I'd like to know..) also... is it safe to leave my iPhone in the transition bag? If i can't use it during the race, I technically don't need it.. but I'll be meeting up with a gf afterwards, so having a phone would be a huge help in finding each other. OR (if leaving the phone unattended is not a good idea), any recommendations for good meet up places after the race? I've been to enough downtown Chicago races where no one can find each other for (seems like) ever, b/c it's so crowded, I'd like to avoid that pleasure after 7 hours of enjoying the heck out of the elements

Transition is secure so phone should be ok, but put it in a ziploc!!!!!  Last year there was a deluge as I was coming off the bike.  Parts of transition were seriously underwater and any open bag or anything left out was soaked.  Luckily I had my phone and even better my running shoes in ziplocks. 

2011-07-13 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3593652

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
JHag - 2011-07-12 7:23 PM

Hey hey - with weather as hot as it's expected to be, start seriously hydrating today.  It does take your body a few days of proper hydration in order for you to truly reap the benefits.  Be conscientious of overall nutrition intake so that you don't put yourself at risk of depleting your electrolytes (sodium specifically).   Personally I take in an extra liter a day.  Stay on it through the race.

For those hoping to give family members some tracking info - the day of the race friends can go to the Ironman or Ironman Racine websites for live tracking info (regular updates based on your chip times) but historically this system fails at some point.

For dinner on Saturday - anyone want to head up a group text message that we could use for the food plans... I'd hate to miss out on food and I'm stoked to meet a bunch of you.

This will be my second time at this venue with last year being my first HIM.  So I can truly empathize with the noobie nerves posted here.  Just remember that you ARE well trained and whether you feel mentally prepared or not, your body is ready to rock!  I love the statement that the most difficult aspect to a triathlon is simply getting to the start line.

I'll be staying at the Marriott.  My wife will be at the race for the duration and would be willing to hold on to some small personal objects.  So for those who don't want to leave valuables in the locked transition area, you could instead leave them with a complete stranger   Just let her know Saturday night at dinner and we'll meet up before the race.

One last aspect to consider - first timers: you will still want to be at the race site (transition) before the race start.  You'll be able to get in the transition area and finalize your setup.  Double check everything!

Not sure if you wanted to meet up but a few of us are all meeting together Saturday night for dinner. Let me know if you plan on being in attendence.

2011-07-13 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Hey all I looked at dinner places that would be most accepted with location, menu choices and price, and I think Chancery, Salute, or Ivanhoe would be our best options. Ivanhoe's menu is a bit small, and Salatue has the largest menu (Italian based), and finally Chancery has a good menu and you can build your own dishes too. All locations are downtown and nothing crazy at all with prices. I am up for any of the three so if anyone wants to chime in let me know. I'll place the reservation around 4 or 5.
2011-07-13 11:34 AM

I'm going to Salute with a group of Chicago Triathlon Club members and already have reservations for 6:30pm. It'd be cool if you guys end up going there as I'll be able to hang out with both groups!
2011-07-13 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3594490

User image

Regular
I agree that the hardest part of this adventure is the week before, nerves are going crazy. Usually the morning of I am o.k. We will be at the Marriot also. This is my second 70.3 this season and I did Racine last year. It never gets mentally easier!

Don't worry about the weather, we can't control that, only our attitudes!

It's about the journey, not the destination!

2011-07-14 1:42 AM

User image

New user
Springfield, IL

Hey all! I'm so sorry that I've been seriously neglecting this forum! Like Anne said, me, my husband Brian, and our son Tyler (9yrsold) will be joining in for dinner. Thank you Anne for letting em know!

Nerves are starting to set in a bit, but I'm really excited at the same time. It seems weird that we are preparing for a really cold swim and a really hot run at the same time, doesn't it? Oh well, the hot run will prepare me for my IM Louisville next month. My goal is to just finish with a smile on my face! I can't wait to meet so many of you at the dinner! Please let us know the final plans on the restaurant and time, and thank you so much for organizing this!

Ashleigh Koerner #861

Edited by AshleighK 2011-07-14 1:48 AM
2011-07-14 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3595689

User image

Regular
Am I the only one having a hard time sleeping this week? Learned how to change tires last night, that was my workout!
2011-07-14 9:25 AM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
Good luck to everyone racing this year...!!!  Remember to check your bottles - that bike course can be a tad bumpy in spots...!!!
2011-07-14 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3595689

User image

Expert
Illinois
AshleighK - 2011-07-14 1:42 AM

Hey all! I'm so sorry that I've been seriously neglecting this forum! Like Anne said, me, my husband Brian, and our son Tyler (9yrsold) will be joining in for dinner. Thank you Anne for letting em know!

Nerves are starting to set in a bit, but I'm really excited at the same time. It seems weird that we are preparing for a really cold swim and a really hot run at the same time, doesn't it? Oh well, the hot run will prepare me for my IM Louisville next month. My goal is to just finish with a smile on my face! I can't wait to meet so many of you at the dinner! Please let us know the final plans on the restaurant and time, and thank you so much for organizing this!

Ashleigh Koerner #861

No problem Ashleigh! Agree about the cold swim and hot run.

2011-07-14 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin

The topic has been covered , but thought I share this as well

From Sharone at Well-Fit Triathlon and Training, Inc.

• Start your day with a big glass of water and a serving of electrolytes. You can use ZYM or one serving of Thermolytes.
  • Have a water bottle with you at all times.
  • Throughout the two days leading to the race alternate drinking between water, sports drink and an electrolyte and water mix.
  • Stop drinking when you start visiting the bathroom too often. When you go to the bathroom often you actually depleting your electrolyte storage.
  • Do not worry about taking too much electrolytes. As long as you take it with liquids you should be fine and if you take more than the body needs the body will extract the access naturally.
  • Race morning drink a glass of water with electrolytes when you get up and another dose of electrolytes 30 minutes before your race start.
  • Have another mix of water/sports drink and electrolyte and sip it during the time between breakfast and 30 minutes before race start.
  • During the race take a dose of electrolyte during the first two miles on the bike and than 300 to 600ml every hour on the bike and the same on the run, always with liquids
  • Try and consume a minimum of one full bottle of liquids on the bike and start your run with a good dose of liquids before taking off.
  • Always carry more electrolytes than you need and make sure you store it in more than one container. We all have a tendency to drop/forget the electrolyte at some point during the race and having extras never hurt. In addition, you can fight muscle spasm with consuming an additional dose of electrolytes when you feel it coming regardless of your electrolyte schedule.

Although the amounts of electrolytes need vary from one person to another, starting with the protocol suggested above will help you hydrate and fight the many symptoms that will slow you down.

2011-07-14 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3594514

User image

Expert
Illinois

chasingkona - 2011-07-13 11:27 AM Hey all I looked at dinner places that would be most accepted with location, menu choices and price, and I think Chancery, Salute, or Ivanhoe would be our best options. Ivanhoe's menu is a bit small, and Salatue has the largest menu (Italian based), and finally Chancery has a good menu and you can build your own dishes too. All locations are downtown and nothing crazy at all with prices. I am up for any of the three so if anyone wants to chime in let me know. I'll place the reservation around 4 or 5.

Thanks so much for handling this, Ben, did you make a selection?

2011-07-14 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Dinner plans are set for Saturday! I choose Salute since another group is going there as well, also close the the race and a bigger menu. They could not take any reservations for before 7pm so I took the 7pm time slot. It is a bit later, so if anyone wants we could move to Ivanhoe or Chancery and most likely get in earlier. All the information is below and I set our reservation for 14-20 in case more decide to join, that way they will already have room.

Saturday Night 6pm @ Salute

314 Main St,

Racine, WI, 53403

262-633-9117

www.saluteitalianrestaurant.com/

1. Chasingkona/Ben/2

2. abake /Anne/2
3 kimk/???/2

4. eddievolleyEddie/1

5. guppie/Suzanne/1

6. JHag/Jeremy/2

7. Lyoshka/Lena/3
8. swiss tri/Stephen/????

9 quincyf/Quincy/1

10. DH/????/1

Edited by chasingkona 2011-07-14 12:02 PM
2011-07-14 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3596205

User image

Master
Chicago
RaytownPete - 2011-07-14 10:15 AM

The topic has been covered , but thought I share this as well

From Sharone at Well-Fit Triathlon and Training, Inc.

• Start your day with a big glass of water and a serving of electrolytes. You can use ZYM or one serving of Thermolytes.
  • Have a water bottle with you at all times.
  • Throughout the two days leading to the race alternate drinking between water, sports drink and an electrolyte and water mix.
  • Stop drinking when you start visiting the bathroom too often. When you go to the bathroom often you actually depleting your electrolyte storage.
  • Do not worry about taking too much electrolytes. As long as you take it with liquids you should be fine and if you take more than the body needs the body will extract the access naturally.
  • Race morning drink a glass of water with electrolytes when you get up and another dose of electrolytes 30 minutes before your race start.
  • Have another mix of water/sports drink and electrolyte and sip it during the time between breakfast and 30 minutes before race start.
  • During the race take a dose of electrolyte during the first two miles on the bike and than 300 to 600ml every hour on the bike and the same on the run, always with liquids
  • Try and consume a minimum of one full bottle of liquids on the bike and start your run with a good dose of liquids before taking off.
  • Always carry more electrolytes than you need and make sure you store it in more than one container. We all have a tendency to drop/forget the electrolyte at some point during the race and having extras never hurt. In addition, you can fight muscle spasm with consuming an additional dose of electrolytes when you feel it coming regardless of your electrolyte schedule.

Although the amounts of electrolytes need vary from one person to another, starting with the protocol suggested above will help you hydrate and fight the many symptoms that will slow you down.

Ha...you're quoting Sharone...LOVE THIS! Gotta tell him...he'll get such a kick out of this! Foot in mouth
2011-07-14 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3596474

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
miami9296 - 2011-07-14 12:00 PM
RaytownPete - 2011-07-14 10:15 AM

The topic

Ha...you're quoting Sharone...LOVE THIS! Gotta tell him...he'll get such a kick out of this! Foot in mouth

Hey , you ride with the guy for one training ride and your hooked for life, he blows up my e-mail box constantly.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 21