Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2006-05-26 2:55 AM
in reply to: #316690

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: IMCDA Are you ready?

Reading alot of IMCDA training logs.  Seems like eveybody (well not everybody) but a number of us are having strains, pulls and naggy injuries from training....

Everybody should be pretty much at the best condition level they can achieve.  Now is the time to maintain that,  without injury/sickness/burnout/ect.ect.  

Be Careful out there.

2006-05-26 8:23 AM
in reply to: #434880

With the "month" countdown now upon us, I seem to overthink everything. As much as blogging has been a support system to ensure I did my training, it also at times brought on a bit of insecurity seeing people with more miles, faster times, less rest etc. When I get all up in my head, I stop and step back and breathe.....
This is not a competition type of event. Besides getting cross the finish line before the midnight hour, there are no real racing for me. If other people had 5 century rides or more and did it, great. If I pulled out 2 (well one so far) that is where I am, and I have to be happy with that.
Lets face it....there are so many different levels of athletes here, that is what makes it fun and challenging. As many times as I felt frustrated in myself for being too slow, low miles etc. I had to turn around and tell myself, one year ago today you were not even biking more than ?? 30 miles?? So we have to look at our personal progress.
As I know we are all in "peak" right now....be proud of where you are, stay strong and focused. I really keep reminding myself this is a FUN day to look forward too! I admit, there has been day's where I dreaded the whole idea of me ever pressing the "submit" button! My pocket book agrees!!

So, yes are wetsuits will be fine, the goggles won't break, we will swim straight enough, not get too beat up in the water, the bike ride will go smooth, our nutrition will fall into place, if we get a flat no big deal, you can stop to go to the bathroom, the run your legs will remember to keep moving after the bike, the pace will set in, the gu's will digest, no cramping, lots of smiles and forward, keep moving forward....to the finish line.

Almost there.
J
2006-05-26 9:33 AM
in reply to: #434880

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
BellinghamSpence - 2006-05-26 3:55 AM

Reading alot of IMCDA training logs.  Seems like eveybody (well not everybody) but a number of us are having strains, pulls and naggy injuries from training....

Everybody should be pretty much at the best condition level they can achieve.  Now is the time to maintain that,  without injury/sickness/burnout/ect.ect.  

Be Careful out there.

My right knee and glutes hurts

2006-05-26 9:56 AM
in reply to: #435122

Glutes hurt? Go get a massage James, heavens knows you deserve it!! Yeah I think I am just used to my glutes being sore every morning!! J
2006-05-26 10:47 AM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

EVERYTHING hurts!  Heck, I'm pretty sure even my pain has pain. 

Thanks for the post Virgingirl....I've been on the rollercoaster the last week or so, and especially this morning.  After reading so many of my friends' training logs and seeing them do "nice easy runs" at 9:xx/mile and a low HR, I was beside myself during today's run watching my HR go up to high zone 4 and my pace go down into the 12s and even 13 for one mile.  Obviously, I am getting tired and the heat and humidity is having an effect, but sometimes you can't help freaking out a bit.

In the end, I need to remember that last January I was over 300 lbs and completely sedentary.  Now I am 215 and less than a month away from Ironman.  So, while I may not be anything exceptional compared to others, I am so far removed from the "old me" that I have reason to be proud...no matter what happens on race day.

Keep training smart folks...we're almost there!

Edited by OldAg92 2006-05-26 10:48 AM
2006-05-26 2:12 PM
in reply to: #435247

To oldag92,

You are exceptional. We all are.

The more I stopped comparing myself with others, the more I became proud of my own accomplishments. You have done a very fine job. Looking forward to meeting you.

J

2006-05-26 2:15 PM
in reply to: #435247

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
OldAg92 - 2006-05-26 7:47 AM

EVERYTHING hurts!  Heck, I'm pretty sure even my pain has pain. 

Thanks for the post Virgingirl....I've been on the rollercoaster the last week or so, and especially this morning.  After reading so many of my friends' training logs and seeing them do "nice easy runs" at 9:xx/mile and a low HR, I was beside myself during today's run watching my HR go up to high zone 4 and my pace go down into the 12s and even 13 for one mile.  Obviously, I am getting tired and the heat and humidity is having an effect, but sometimes you can't help freaking out a bit.

In the end, I need to remember that last January I was over 300 lbs and completely sedentary.  Now I am 215 and less than a month away from Ironman.  So, while I may not be anything exceptional compared to others, I am so far removed from the "old me" that I have reason to be proud...no matter what happens on race day.

Keep training smart folks...we're almost there!

Hear, Hear.  I had a slow long run today with my stupid achey hamstring.  Lots of negative thoughts were racing through my mind.....BUT no way am I going to miss out on this event.

Have to keep thinking of the positives.  Chris Sadowski carried his bike 6 +miles in socking feet.  Dad Hoyt pushes  a 3 wheeler with his son...

I'm pumped for this.  Can't wait to see what the final chapter brings.

2006-05-26 4:41 PM
in reply to: #435576

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Guys and Gals,

Race day is the reward. This IM training stuff is a journey. If it was easy, anyone could do it. All of you are an inspiration to me!!!
2006-05-26 9:23 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
Wow - a 3 day weekend right at crunch time.  What a gift.  Hopefully we can all get some nice workouts in as well as some rest and get reintroduced to our families. 
2006-05-27 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, ID

hello all-

As promised...OWS this morning in Hayden Lake.  Wind was blowing and it is a bit more protected than Lake CDA.  Anyway....air temp was 42 when I stepped from my truck so I was cold before I got in the water.  Water was probably high 50's!  I asked a fisherman, but his temp gauge was kaput on his boat.  He did look at me like I was crazy though!!  Some weirdo in a black wetsuit and hoodie at 6am!!

Swim was bearable and did not get too cold.  The exercise warms you up greater than you would think.  Forehead did get "ice cream" headache where hood let some skin show!

Looking forward to meeting everyone!!!  I would like to organize a get together on Monday night if everyone is game!  Let me know by way of PM.

2006-05-27 1:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, ID

Just had another thought....

I am amazed at how careful I am trying to be!  After this time training I can ill afford to do something dumb and hurt myself!!  In the same vein....be careful out there as you can never predict what the "others" might do to you.  I almot was hit by a lady in her Tahoe when I was running on Wed morning.  She was not paying attention and drove onto the shoulder!!

Take care everyone!!!

2006-05-28 12:38 PM

New user

Your posts have all been great to read. I'll be at the race markin' your legs and rippin' the wetsuits this year. My plan is to sign up for next year's (2007) race and this will give me a preview.

I look forward to seeing you all cross the finish line and hear the announcer tell you that "You are and Ironman"

Way to go!
2006-05-28 7:25 PM
in reply to: #433256

User image

Elite
San Diego

ChuckyFinster - 2006-05-24 2:06 PM fuggin 88 degrees today on my run today. 31 days is 31 days to far away. I swear, I'm gonna rip into a double cheeseburger with extra fat. I'm in a rut, I can't wait for this to end. Madcow, is this normal?

No it's not normal. I can't believe you only want one cheeseburger.

Here is my lunch after my long brick Saturday. Happycow called and said "you have been out for 9 hours, I was worried" I said I just finished, now I can't decide between a burrito and a hamburger. She said " Buy them both, eat half of each, then in an hour when you are hungry again, eat the rest... That's why you married me" I love that woman.

BTW the burrito is a carne asada and the burger is a 1/2 pound cheese burger with 1/4 pound of Gyros... I couldn't finish them both.

(lunch1.jpg)

(lunch2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
lunch1.jpg (21KB - 28 downloads)
lunch2.jpg (23KB - 31 downloads)
2006-05-28 9:01 PM
in reply to: #436775

Veteran
new orleans
madcow - 2006-05-28 7:25 PM

ChuckyFinster - 2006-05-24 2:06 PM fuggin 88 degrees today on my run today. 31 days is 31 days to far away. I swear, I'm gonna rip into a double cheeseburger with extra fat. I'm in a rut, I can't wait for this to end. Madcow, is this normal?

No it's not normal. I can't believe you only want one cheeseburger.

Here is my lunch after my long brick Saturday. Happycow called and said "you have been out for 9 hours, I was worried" I said I just finished, now I can't decide between a burrito and a hamburger. She said " Buy them both, eat half of each, then in an hour when you are hungry again, eat the rest... That's why you married me" I love that woman.

BTW the burrito is a carne asada and the burger is a 1/2 pound cheese burger with 1/4 pound of Gyros... I couldn't finish them both.

the burger looks like what I had for lunch today. yum.....
2006-05-28 9:25 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

OK, well if this is the "true confessions" thread, I might as well chime in.  We are at the beach for the weekend, and after a stressful and depressing week (see my logs) I am an eating machine...it doesn't help that my wife bought "fun foods" for the kids.  Reese's, ice cream, pringles, sugary cereals, donuts....I've got the stomach ache from hell.

Looks like I'll be 5 pounds heavier for IMCDA instead of losing a few pounds as I hoped.  Have to get back to some serious nutrition after I get home tomorrow afternoon.

2006-05-29 8:45 AM
in reply to: #436864

Oh....you guys are wimps, those look like appetizers, not lunch!!! I snack all day long and into the wee hours of the night. Co-workers always peek over to see what "good stuff" I brought to eat. And as for pringles? I could eat a can a day of those things, don't know why they became so addicting! I didn't sign up for this thing to lose any weight. I always find I gain a couple because I think I am hungrier and can get a way with eating way more than I should. It is going to be hard to switch over to "normal" portions after the even. Then again should be about a week or so before I can hurry over to the refrigerator to see what "magically appeared"!!

One thing I did try on my last long "trainer" ride, was to eat a bagel and some low fat peanut butter mid way. I found I get really hungry on the bike and no amounts of spiked up gatorade, gus gels candy bars etc. satisfired that. The density of the bagel got rid of the gurgles and althoough I had to slowly eat it, I thought it was good. I am either going to carry one with me, or put one in my special needs bag. Either way glad I tried some real food for the ride.
J

2006-05-29 9:34 AM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Guys and gals, I am in serious trouble.  Took the new wetsuit out for my first OWS today.  Schedule had it for 40 minutes...I went 11:43 and had to be helped out of the water, completely dizzy and disoriented.  Water temp was warm, so it isn't a "cold water in the ears" issues.   Water was also smooth as glass, so it isn't a motion sickness issue (although I am very prone to motion sickness).  The same thing happened to me at my tri in March (different wetsuit that didn't fit) but I assumed that the dizziness was due to cold water and/or a wetsuit that clearly didn't fit.  Now I have a wetsuit that fits perfectly, and am swimming in warm water, and can't make it 400 yards without being completely punch drunk and ready to vomit. 

I am at a complete loss as to what to do now...4 weeks to CDA and I'm wishing I could swim with no wetsuit...not even sure that is an option due to water temps. 

This is bad.  Need to figure out a solution asap.

Edited by OldAg92 2006-05-29 9:55 AM
2006-05-29 10:27 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

Hang in there OldAg.  It'll work out somehow.

Ok, Butterflies are starting to take off in the gut....What's wrong with my hamstring?  Can I start my taper with 26 days to go?  Darn goggles are crap, should I get the same kind new pair or try something new?

Will it stop raining and warm up so I can do some OWS!  Should I get a new pair of shoes and break them in.  Or go with the ones right now that have 175 miles...Wash them to make them look new?

Need to schedule bike for a tune up.  But what if I ride my bike alot after tune up and get it out of whack?    Jeez, I hope nobody around me is sick or carrying cold viruses.

Got to remember, this is my first one, I'm not going there to race the pros.  But to finish.   And to have fun.  SwimBikeRun my own race.

Have a great Memorial Day everyone.

2006-05-29 10:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, ID

Keep at the swimming with the wetsuit.  Water temp will be in the 60's for IMCDA.  You might consider a wetsuit with short legs and arms or no arms at all.  I talked to a lady who suffered from apparently the same thing and she bought a wetsuit that was not as tight (read too big) and it helped. 

You can always swim without (3 or 4 did last year), but you will have to be careful and take T1 and bike beginning very gingerly!

2006-05-29 10:33 AM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
OldAg - put the wetsuit on and go play in the water for a bit - float, bob, doggy paddle, whatever.  Being in the water is fun having a wetsuit on should enhance the experience.  Do that for a bit and then get out and hang out on the beach for a bit then go back in to play.  If you feel comfortable go for a short swim. 
2006-05-29 10:54 AM
in reply to: #437071

To Spence,
Yes, get goggles that fit....get em now. Most are not that pricey and it took me how many years to finally find some that didn't leak. I use lane 4's and now have 2 pairs. Shoes, well again I just bought a new pair of my fav. new balance and glad I did. Gives me time to wear them in, and even after the first run since I am use to them, they are no problem. My old ones were getting way worn out and this was perfect timing for me to buy new ones, did my 18 miler in em yesterday, no problems. Bike tune up again I would get it now, then if you still feel it needs some tweaking you still have time.

We still have time guys, think about it. Still over 3 weeks out and all those little (and big) things just start checking em off that you got it done. I had sock issues and still am figuring that out. Tried the cliff blocks on the run, feel good with those. Tried eating on the bike (real food) and like that. So keep trying to find out what works for YOU> The closer the day comes, the more self absorbed I am finding myself to be. Not worrying about the masses of people on the swim, not worrying bout my slow speed on the bike and not worrying about running post 7 pm on the run. It is what it is. Like we have repeated, lets all enjoy the day. Shorter races, yeah I can be all about racing, not smiling and being competative and crazy. Hey I have spent too much money, invested so much of my time training to let this day go by without me truly enjoying the hours I get to spend with some of my best new found friends.

But get those nagging little things checked off your list. One at a time. I am down to my last lets see....hundred something of things Jodie is worried about!!!!

woo hoo.
vgirl

2006-05-29 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

I was checking out the IMCDA website and looking at the Transition area.  I couldn't read the discriptions of places at all.  

Virgingirl brought up another one my what to do?  Socks?   Walk with bikeshoes, wear socks?....Which socks to wear.  Thin or thick soled...

Time to go to the pool.  9:00 AM.  Can't waste this day.

2006-05-29 11:11 AM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Plan for now is short OWS as often as possible over the next three weeks.  Even if swimming isn't on the schedule, I'll be swimming.  I WILL get this issue resolved
2006-05-29 11:39 AM
in reply to: #437097

Spence,
Weird thing for me on socks. Always wore the wright socks double layer and loved em. Bought a new pair day before the Boston mary couple years ago. Suckers were awful. At mile 4 they fell off on both feet and me being stubborn would not stop. In the end I had 2 balls of fabric stuffed in my toes and bloody heels. It was awful. Thought I just had a bad pair. Bought another 3 pack from Roadrunnersports (who I love) and again same thing. I am sending them an old pair to show them the difference. Old pair still is very tight in the ankle so it grips and doesn't fall down. Plus the old pair is way smaller and fits. New ones are loose so they fall down, and way larger, and yes they are the same size as the originals. Guy at RRS said he appreciates feedback like this cuz they are one of the larger online stores and if the customers are not happy with a product it makes a big difference in how much they order. (From wright socks in this instance) But it was so weird how different they were. So yes I am trying some new ones they are sending. imgenius or something.
But remember also Spence, it is all about comfort in this. I am wearing my fav. bike socks and then changing to new run socks, and probably run shorts also. Think about it, after being on the bike and sweaty and funky, a new pair of socks and shorts is going to feel really good. something to look forward to.

J
2006-05-29 1:08 PM
in reply to: #437026

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Hang in, I swam in OW today and had to take the wetsuit off in the middle of the lake cause I was too freaking hot. I lasted about 45 minutes. Took it off and instantly felt better. Swam 25 more minutes. Just keep swimming in it if you can. What was the temp of the water you swam in? Trust me, if IMCDA is in the 60's you will be glad you have the wetsuit.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMCDA Are you ready? Rss Feed  

of 29