BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-02-06 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3955221

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Subject: RE: esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed
did elliptical this morning, felt like this worked some tightness out but left calf is still a rock. I'll be stretching it at my desk all day I think. We'll see how it goes, I don't think I'll be doing any running or biking until later this week so I'll have time to "heal."

ok, here's a question: Since I'm a true newbie, never raced a tri before, do I do Master's Open or Age Group? I'm feeling confident and want to sign up The link to my race is on my blog if anyone is interested in looking at it.

2012-02-06 9:08 AM

New user

KatNWater -I have always had vivid dreams, ever since I can remember, I talk a lot too while sleeping. Not about swimming, usually the dreams don't make sense and are kinda wacked. My Hubby hates it cause I've even kicked him while sleeping lol. So I think I may be stuck with night cramps. However the cramps during my workouts are getting better. I think it was partly a hydration issue. Adding Gatorade seems to be helping. I go for a swim at night around 9pm and do intensity only if I'm up for a good workout, if not I do it more of a recovery pace. Might try some yoga.....however just thinking about it make me giggle. Lol!
2012-02-06 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4031335

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

coolgenes - 2012-02-06 9:27 AM did elliptical this morning, felt like this worked some tightness out but left calf is still a rock. I'll be stretching it at my desk all day I think. We'll see how it goes, I don't think I'll be doing any running or biking until later this week so I'll have time to "heal." ok, here's a question: Since I'm a true newbie, never raced a tri before, do I do Master's Open or Age Group? I'm feeling confident and want to sign up The link to my race is on my blog if anyone is interested in looking at it.

Glad the calves are loosening up.  When I have sore legs it's usually my calves that bother me and it usually just that I did too much.  Either I ran harder or longer than usual.  The best cure tends to be an easy workout the next day.  It helps get the blood flowing without putting any stress on the ailing muscles.  Take a look at a foam roller or "The Stick" - great tool for self-massage after a hard workout.

edited to add: Be careful with stretching a muscle that is already cramping.  If you over-stretch you can actually cause the muscle to tighten further.  If you can, try doing a light workout first (brisk walk, easy spin) followed with some very gentle stretches.

Edited by esc 2012-02-06 9:30 AM
2012-02-06 10:33 AM

Middle Tennessee

Despite the fact that I am STILL snotty, I have declared this illness over.  I don't have time in my life to be sick anymore - so I am done.  Actually I don't feel achy or run down anymore, and I can deal with a little snot.  My sister is a public health nurse, and I got to see her over the weekend.  She said that there is a virus going around that they are trying to decide if it is a cold or a strain of flu that we haven't seen before.  They are calling flu lite.  She is sure that is what I had, and I did the right thing by taking 10 days (mostly) off.

I ran 2.5 miles this morning, easy.  Then I did the weightlifting class at the gym.  I think that I am going to get this into my routine 3x week.  It's a total body weightlifting class and I know I need to work on my muscle strength. 

Up next is a 3000 long day swim.  I am looking forward to getting in the water.

I had a surreal experience in class this morning.  I was looking forward in the mirror, trying to check my form.  I couldn't find myself in the mirror.  Wait, I'm that skinny girl in the corner!  Yes, that is me.  It was wonderful and strange all at the same time.

Glad the cramps are lighting up Anna!

Have a good day goonies!

2012-02-06 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
question for tomorrow's workout:

Swimming is coming along well. better than expected actually. I swam 800 yds last time in pool. Shall I continue my original plan to complete the couch to 1650 or throw in the towel and start to train for the 800m that my sprint tri will be (May 12). I have plenty of time for either, just want to get an idea what you all think

I should make this a poll if I knew how

Thanks for your input
2012-02-07 5:39 AM
in reply to: #4032459

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

coolgenes - 2012-02-06 4:31 PM question for tomorrow's workout: Swimming is coming along well. better than expected actually. I swam 800 yds last time in pool. Shall I continue my original plan to complete the couch to 1650 or throw in the towel and start to train for the 800m that my sprint tri will be (May 12). I have plenty of time for either, just want to get an idea what you all think I should make this a poll if I knew how Thanks for your input

I would stick with the 0to1650.  It's a good plan and gives you a focused workout in the pool and if you can complete a 1650 yd workout then you can complete an 800m sprint swim.  If you're feeling strong, you can work on finishing each 100 or 50 or whatever in a certain time frame.  If the set is 4 x 100 with 8 breaths of rest, swim the first 100 at a moderately hard pace.  Time yourself to see how long it takes.  Now try to hit the same time for the next 3 100s.  For an added challenge, see if you can swim the last 100 faster than you did the first.

Edited by esc 2012-02-07 5:41 AM

2012-02-07 5:45 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Happy Tuesday, Goonies!

What a crazy week I've had.  I've been on the go, go, go since Thursday!  Today is the last work day of my set.  I'm very much looking forward to a few days off.  I at least managed to sneak in a little running amidst all the craziness.  I plan to get back to regular workouts this week.  I managed a nice trainer workout last night and tonight I've got a date with the treadmill.

What does everyone else have going on this week?

2012-02-07 5:47 AM
in reply to: #4031683

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
KatNWater - 2012-02-06 11:33 AM

Despite the fact that I am STILL snotty, I have declared this illness over.  I don't have time in my life to be sick anymore - so I am done.  Actually I don't feel achy or run down anymore, and I can deal with a little snot.  My sister is a public health nurse, and I got to see her over the weekend.  She said that there is a virus going around that they are trying to decide if it is a cold or a strain of flu that we haven't seen before.  They are calling flu lite.  She is sure that is what I had, and I did the right thing by taking 10 days (mostly) off.

I ran 2.5 miles this morning, easy.  Then I did the weightlifting class at the gym.  I think that I am going to get this into my routine 3x week.  It's a total body weightlifting class and I know I need to work on my muscle strength. 

Up next is a 3000 long day swim.  I am looking forward to getting in the water.

I had a surreal experience in class this morning.  I was looking forward in the mirror, trying to check my form.  I couldn't find myself in the mirror.  Wait, I'm that skinny girl in the corner!  Yes, that is me.  It was wonderful and strange all at the same time.

Glad you are feeling a little closer to normal.  There has been some nasty stuff floating around this year.  I don't usually get sick but I got knocked back with two colds this year.  No fun.

Enjoy your swim and enjoy being that skinny girl!

2012-02-07 7:13 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Morning, Goonies!

Hope everyone is feeling better! I've been feeling "off" for a couple of days, but not really sick...so I've just been ignoring it.

Question for you Emily...do you have any advice on how to structure the 8 weeks between 1/2 mary in March & 1/2 mary in May? I'm thinking about taking a week or so of recovery and then picking up in whatever week that is of my current training plan and just hitting repeat. So here's what I'm currently doing (although leaving open the option to back off on the long run as you suggested before) and then if I pick it up again for the next half. Does this make sense? Or do you know of any better ways to do these 2 races? (After the May 20 race, I've got a long summer of training until the next planned 1/2 mary in August. So it's OK if I beat myself up a little bit.)

1/23 - 3/3/3/5-6 (dropback)
1/30 - 3/4/3/9
2/6 - 3/5/3/10
2/13 - 3/4/3/8 (dropback)
2/20 - 3/6/3/11
2/27 - 3/6/3/12
3/5 - 3/4/3/8 (dropback)
3/12 - 3/4/2 (taper)
3/18 - race

3/19 - recovery week
3/26 - 3/3/3/5-6 (dropback)
4/2 - 3/4/3/9
4/9 - 3/5/3/10
4/16 - 3/4/3/8 (dropback)
4/23 - 3/6/3/11
4/30 - 3/6/3/12
5/7 - 3/4/3/8 (dropback)
5/14 - 3/4/2 (taper)
5/20 - race
2012-02-07 8:01 AM

User image

Regular
NWA
Hello everyone-Well - its official, I registered for the Memphis in May Sprint Tri...pretty pysched. I also went ahead and became a USAT member...I think I finally felt confident enough after being able to stick to this training schedule. Means I have to do at least 3 races! Boy it feels good to say that...Sounds like looks of sickly folks - but you're all still managing to gut through workouts...wow. I don't do well as a sick person.Good luck this week everyone...keep your goonie butts going!BTW- I used my pre-pool hair lotion Sunday...and will use it again tonight...probably too early to tell if its making a difference. Will update!Tammy
2012-02-07 9:56 AM
in reply to: #4030329

Fairfax, VA
esc - 2012-02-05 12:10 PM

How old are your shoes?  I get achy knees as the milage on my shoes gets too high.  If they are newer shoes than it could just be that you're not used to pounding of the pavement.  If you plan on doing longer road races then you might want to consider slowly adding in some training miles on pavement.  For example, once a week you break one of your shorter runs up so that you run on a combo of pavement and trails.  If you get through that without pain then you can up the percentage of time on the road until, once a week, you are running exclusively on pavement.

You might be right about the shoes - I don't have a lot of running miles on them, but a lot of walking and general wear has been done in them. Heading to the running store for lunch today.

I think I may have a bit of runner's knee too since my legs aren't as strong as they used to be. I'm going to incorporate some leg strengthening exercises to my schedule. I have a few good sources for those, including my physical therapist, so wish me luck!

2012-02-07 9:57 AM
in reply to: #4033317

Fairfax, VA
Tambo1221 - 2012-02-07 9:01 AM

Hello everyone-Well - its official, I registered for the Memphis in May Sprint Tri...pretty pysched. I also went ahead and became a USAT member...I think I finally felt confident enough after being able to stick to this training schedule. Means I have to do at least 3 races! Boy it feels good to say that...Sounds like looks of sickly folks - but you're all still managing to gut through workouts...wow. I don't do well as a sick person.Good luck this week everyone...keep your goonie butts going!BTW- I used my pre-pool hair lotion Sunday...and will use it again tonight...probably too early to tell if its making a difference. Will update!Tammy

Woohoo! I'm with you on at least 3 races
2012-02-07 10:31 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
Good morning all!

Been MIA for a couple days from the site.  I just got done with meal #1 and now need to hustle and pack my bag for work...  Heading out to Phoenix until Friday morning and I need to leave for the air port in about an hour.  Looking for the change as it's snowing again in Denver!!  Getting tired of traveling, this is the third week in a row. 

Workout:
Spin class with another 30 minutes added for 1.5 hours total
Light and quick UBWO and abs - need to swim so not hard
Might swim tonight if I can fit it in

Meals:
#1  Egg white sandwich with turkey slices and green chili on ww- YUM!
#2  Protein shake and apple
#3  Probably subway - turkey with tons of veggies on WW
#4  Protein shake with a banana
#5  Some low fat protein, veggies and ww rice - need to run to the grocery store after I check into the hotel.  I have a kitchen, so I will cook all my meals in the room  Love Residence Inn for travel.  The free beer, wine and food during their "managers reception" is always very tempting though

Edited by Joeyj1974 2012-02-07 12:44 PM
2012-02-07 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4033245

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

enders_shadow - 2012-02-07 8:13 AM Morning, Goonies! Hope everyone is feeling better! I've been feeling "off" for a couple of days, but not really sick...so I've just been ignoring it. Question for you Emily...do you have any advice on how to structure the 8 weeks between 1/2 mary in March & 1/2 mary in May? I'm thinking about taking a week or so of recovery and then picking up in whatever week that is of my current training plan and just hitting repeat. So here's what I'm currently doing (although leaving open the option to back off on the long run as you suggested before) and then if I pick it up again for the next half. Does this make sense? Or do you know of any better ways to do these 2 races? (After the May 20 race, I've got a long summer of training until the next planned 1/2 mary in August. So it's OK if I beat myself up a little bit.) 1/23 - 3/3/3/5-6 (dropback) 1/30 - 3/4/3/9 2/6 - 3/5/3/10 2/13 - 3/4/3/8 (dropback) 2/20 - 3/6/3/11 2/27 - 3/6/3/12 3/5 - 3/4/3/8 (dropback) 3/12 - 3/4/2 (taper) 3/18 - race 3/19 - recovery week 3/26 - 3/3/3/5-6 (dropback) 4/2 - 3/4/3/9 4/9 - 3/5/3/10 4/16 - 3/4/3/8 (dropback) 4/23 - 3/6/3/11 4/30 - 3/6/3/12 5/7 - 3/4/3/8 (dropback) 5/14 - 3/4/2 (taper) 5/20 - race

I'd say you have two options here.  You can (1) repeat the last 8 weeks of the training plan you are using for the March HM or (2) pick up, volume-wise, where you left off before the March taper.  At this point, I would leave both options open and see how you feel after you race.  If you're feeling good, instead of starting back with a long run of 9 you can start back with a long run of 11 or 12 and either build from there and do some over-distance runs or just maintain the long run at 11/12 for the 8 weeks leading into your 2nd race.  The second option gives you a few more weeks with a long run in the 10+ range which you may find helpful endurance-wise.   

2012-02-07 10:51 AM
in reply to: #4033581

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
No Mayo - 2012-02-07 10:56 AM
esc - 2012-02-05 12:10 PM

How old are your shoes?  I get achy knees as the milage on my shoes gets too high.  If they are newer shoes than it could just be that you're not used to pounding of the pavement.  If you plan on doing longer road races then you might want to consider slowly adding in some training miles on pavement.  For example, once a week you break one of your shorter runs up so that you run on a combo of pavement and trails.  If you get through that without pain then you can up the percentage of time on the road until, once a week, you are running exclusively on pavement.

You might be right about the shoes - I don't have a lot of running miles on them, but a lot of walking and general wear has been done in them. Heading to the running store for lunch today. I think I may have a bit of runner's knee too since my legs aren't as strong as they used to be. I'm going to incorporate some leg strengthening exercises to my schedule. I have a few good sources for those, including my physical therapist, so wish me luck!

It's good to have a pair of shoes that are dedicated just to running.  You can use the equipment tracker in the BT training logs to keep track of milage that you're putting on the shoes.  Depending on the brand/model you can probably expect to get anywhere from 300-500 miles of running out of them.

2012-02-07 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4033317

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Tambo1221 - 2012-02-07 9:01 AM Hello everyone-Well - its official, I registered for the Memphis in May Sprint Tri...pretty pysched. I also went ahead and became a USAT member...I think I finally felt confident enough after being able to stick to this training schedule. Means I have to do at least 3 races! Boy it feels good to say that...Sounds like looks of sickly folks - but you're all still managing to gut through workouts...wow. I don't do well as a sick person.Good luck this week everyone...keep your goonie butts going!BTW- I used my pre-pool hair lotion Sunday...and will use it again tonight...probably too early to tell if its making a difference. Will update!Tammy

Alright!  It's good to be officially registered.  Nothing like a race looming on the horizon to help keep you motivated!

2012-02-07 10:55 AM
in reply to: #4033682

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Joeyj1974 - 2012-02-07 11:31 AM Good morning all!

Been MIA for a couple days from the site.  I just got done with meal #1 and now need to hustle and pack my bag for work...  Heading out to Phoenix until Friday morning and I need to leave for the air port in about an hour.  Looking for the change as it's snowing again in Denver!!  Getting tired of traveling, this is the third week in a row. 

Workout:
Spin class with another 30 minutes added for 1.5 hours total
Light and quick UBWO and abs - need to swim so not hard
Might swim tonight if I can fit it in

Meals:
#1  Egg white sandwich with turkey slices and green chili on ww- YUM!
#2  Protein shake and apple
#3  Probably subway - turkey with tons of veggies on WW
#4  Protein shake with a banana
#5  Some kine of low fat protein, veggies and ww rice - need to run to the grocery store after I check into the hotel.  I have a kitchen, so I will cook all my meals in the room  Love Residence Inn for travel.  The free beer, wine and food during their "managers reception" is always very tempting though

I'm so glad that we've had a mild winter in Indiana so far.  I'm sure we'll get a big dump of snow in March just to make up for it.  Safe travels and enjoy the warmth and sunshine of Phoenix.

Now I must go eat lunch because your food list is making me hungry!

2012-02-07 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4033729

User image

Regular
NWA

You can use the equipment tracker in the BT training logs to keep track of milage that you're putting on the shoes.  Depending on the brand/model you can probably expect to get anywhere from 300-500 miles of running out of them.

Wow...hadn't thought of doing the equipment tracker for my running shoes!  What a great idea...I can never keep up how many miles I've put on the suckers!  THANKS, EM!

2012-02-08 7:18 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Morning!

I'm thinking today is a rest day - teach, meetings, teach, meetings, run children around half of creation, crash.

Although I may hop on the trainer when I get to "crash" if hubby has the hockey game on.

Happy Hump Day!

(PS - I have actually considered getting in the pool recently. Haven't done it - but have seriously considered it. I may just end up a triathlete again sometime.)
2012-02-08 8:02 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Howdy, howdy, howdy!

i woke up to a blanket of fresh snow this morning.  It's not enough to be at all bothersome but it does make me long for 50* and sunny.  Ah well...it IS February so I guess snow is par for the course.

I had a 3-4 mile run on the schedule last night but The Dude tempted me with a date night at our favorite local.  I gave up my run without a second thought and instead ate my weight in lasagna and washed it down with beer.  It was the exact opposite of working out.  I ended up all fat and delicious instead of sweaty and skinny!

I've got a 7-miler on the schedule for today.  If I'm feeling good I'll be making it an 8-miler to make up for my slackerdom last night.

2012-02-08 8:35 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

@Emily:  Glad I'm not the only one who can be tempted by "the dark side". 

(Darth Vadar breathing....slowly....breathing....)

My 'plan' has been working pretty well; at the least it gets a workout into my schedule.  I'm off Weds., so I've got a blind date for coffee, then a long(er-ish) bike, then ANOTHER blind date for happy hour.  Day could be really, really good......or it could totally blow.  BUT, there will be bikes, babes, coffee and beer-so how bad can it be.   Wish me luck.  

2012-02-08 8:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Hi all,
Great day here in SC high of 60 today, though its still getting down to upper 30s at night. I think this is perfect workout weather. just 2 weeks till I have to suspend training a bit to do a month of Adventure Boot Camp that DW gifted me (she's been doing it since last Oct.). I'm going to still try to swim 2x per week during the camp see if I can do anything else. I'll just suck it up and try to tighten my core up.

Anyway, thanks for your advice on the swims Emily, I went ahead and did 1000yds. I almost quit in the first 300 yds because I felt like crap, then I almost kept going I was in such a zone, if only I hadn't started missing flip turns, so hard to do the turn, stretch your legs out and you never hit the wall except with your big toe, so hard to get moving from that. I don't know if it was my speed changing from what it used to be or taking my eyes off the wall or just can't see the wall because I don't wear contacts.

I love impromptu dates, and Lasagna! good choice
Good luck today Jeff
2012-02-08 10:03 AM
in reply to: #4035468

User image

Regular
NWA
esc - 2012-02-08 8:02 AM

Howdy, howdy, howdy!

i woke up to a blanket of fresh snow this morning.  It's not enough to be at all bothersome but it does make me long for 50* and sunny.  Ah well...it IS February so I guess snow is par for the course.

I had a 3-4 mile run on the schedule last night but The Dude tempted me with a date night at our favorite local.  I gave up my run without a second thought and instead ate my weight in lasagna and washed it down with beer.  It was the exact opposite of working out.  I ended up all fat and delicious instead of sweaty and skinny!

I've got a 7-miler on the schedule for today.  If I'm feeling good I'll be making it an 8-miler to make up for my slackerdom last night.

The way I look at it...at least you're carbed up for your long run!! Go Emily!  I hope it was good hoppy, highly caloric beer, too.  That's my fave! 

2012-02-08 10:05 AM
in reply to: #4035538

User image

Regular
NWA
jeffnboise - 2012-02-08 8:35 AM

My 'plan' has been working pretty well; at the least it gets a workout into my schedule.  I'm off Weds., so I've got a blind date for coffee, then a long(er-ish) bike, then ANOTHER blind date for happy hour.  Day could be really, really good......or it could totally blow.  BUT, there will be bikes, babes, coffee and beer-so how bad can it be.   Wish me luck.  

Best of luck on the blinds...like your rationale...day can't be too darn bad!

2012-02-08 10:06 AM
in reply to: #4035538

User image

Regular
NWA
jeffnboise - 2012-02-08 8:35 AM

Best of luck on the blinds...like your rationale...day can't be too darn bad!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  

of 23