BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-02-16 5:28 PM
in reply to: #4624872

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!!
trei - 2013-02-16 10:51 AM

Thanks Scott for the HR info.

Now I have a bike question:  I just used two water bottles in standard frame cages for all my races so far.  I know I could probably do that again even for the full ironman, but I've seen some nifty handlebar mounted bottles and behind the saddle mounted bottles too.  Does anyone have any opinion on what has worked well for them in the past and why?

I managed to get in a baseline of training this week even though I was sick for 4 days.  My official training schedule starts tomorrow.  Looking at slimming down some too, but the chocolate has gotten the better of me lately.  Hope every one is hanging in there and meeting their goals!

Todd

It depends on how important extra time is on the day vs. a new setup.  The fastest (tested) place to have a water bottle is between your aerobars - with extras behind the seat.  The slowest - two bottles on the frame in regular cages.  Approx. cost over an IM is a few minutes.  You just need to determine if your comfort with where the bottles are outweighs a few minutes over what will be a very long day.

2013-02-16 5:33 PM
in reply to: #4624607

User image

Elite
Ontario
k9car363 - 2013-02-15 10:39 PM

As to the bands and what not.  Yes, I have seen them, in fact I use to have a couple devices called Exer-Genie that allowed you to simulate swimming strokes with varying degrees of resistance.  In my opinion they actually do more harm than good.  They do not allow you to accurately simulate a freestyle movement.  You can get more strength work with dumb-bells in your hotel room than you would get with the "swim simulators" that I have seen.  I have been a swimmer for over 40 years and I have a pretty good freestyle, but when I use one of the stroke simulators, whether with bands or some other form of resistance, my stroke technique goes out the window.  The swim leg for most of the triathletes I have meet is their weakest segment.  I would be very concerned about doing more harm than good by trying to simulate swimming on dry land.

My personal opinion is, stick to real swimming in a real pool.  If you can't find a real pool today, then maybe tomorrow will be better.  The potential negative impact in my opinion far outweighs any possible good that will come from trying to simulate swimming.

Just my humble two cents.

Just to offer up an alternative opinion.  Sheila Taormina's book "Swim Speed Secrets" specifically references using bands to help swimmers strengthen their muscles, and practice a high elbow catch.  She specifies not to use the bands for a full range of motion, but rather to focus on the pull phase as it can be very difficult to accurately focus on the position of your arms, etc, when actually swimming. 

2013-02-16 8:34 PM
in reply to: #4618661

User image

New user

Thanks for the great feedbacK!

That's pretty much what I was thinking.  You confirmed it.  I can't do speed work and not risk injury.  I'll get faster as my endurance workouts progress.  I'm currently going at a swim pace I'm happy with.  My bike times are little slower then I would like.  I'm aiming to stay in zone 1-low 2.  That allows me a bike pace of about 23-25km/hr.  I would like a little more speed.  My runs are my concern.  I ran my first marathon last May 2012 with a 3:45 time.  My current goal for IM run is 4hrs.  Right now my endurance pace to stay in low zone is upwards of 7min/km which is way high for my goal.  But as you said, my times will improve with time.

As for nutrition I will take your advise and do some more research.

Thanks again!

Craig

2013-02-16 9:01 PM
in reply to: #4622986

User image

New user

Thanks for the advise about the weight loss everyone.  Looks like I stirred up a lot using the term "lean out".  Perhaps it was the wrong choice.  To clarify, I just want to lose around 10-15 lbs and it doesnt need to be quick.  I have recently ramped up my training volume as I near IM in August and haven't lost any weight.  I haven't been increasing my calories with the increased workouts (at least I don't think I have) but still seem be staying at the same weight. Hence the question about how to balance calorie intake during training and still shed some pounds.
2013-02-17 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4625317

User image

Elite
Ontario
Cmarch - 2013-02-16 9:34 PM

That's pretty much what I was thinking.  You confirmed it.  I can't do speed work and not risk injury.  I'll get faster as my endurance workouts progress.  I'm currently going at a swim pace I'm happy with.  My bike times are little slower then I would like.  I'm aiming to stay in zone 1-low 2.  That allows me a bike pace of about 23-25km/hr.  I would like a little more speed.  My runs are my concern.  I ran my first marathon last May 2012 with a 3:45 time.  My current goal for IM run is 4hrs.  Right now my endurance pace to stay in low zone is upwards of 7min/km which is way high for my goal.  But as you said, my times will improve with time.

Thanks again!

Craig

Craig - while many people aim to minimize their run intensity, you should not fear injury by ramping up your intensity in swimming or riding.  I'm sorry to say, but you will not see as many improvements on the bike by riding around in Z1/2 as you will if you incorporate periods where you are pushing much harder.  These intervals can be a complete workout and makeup part of some of your long rides.  You can also push yourself a bit harder in pool.  Incorporating faster/harder 25/50/100's will help you develop as a swimmer.

2013-02-18 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4625844

User image

New user

GoFaster - 2013-02-17 4:04 PM

Thanks again!

Craig

Craig - while many people aim to minimize their run intensity, you should not fear injury by ramping up your intensity in swimming or riding.  I'm sorry to say, but you will not see as many improvements on the bike by riding around in Z1/2 as you will if you incorporate periods where you are pushing much harder.  These intervals can be a complete workout and makeup part of some of your long rides.  You can also push yourself a bit harder in pool.  Incorporating faster/harder 25/50/100's will help you develop as a swimmer.

I agree, however can anyone explain why the program designed by BT for me incorporates ONLY endurance workouts???  I assumed that because this is my first IM distance race the purpose of the endurance based training was to "just get me to the distance".  In the site articles it talks about endurance workouts only being done in Z1-2.  Every workout in the plan calls for "endurance pace" no matter how long or short the session.  I'm confused.  As a newbie I was trusting in the BT plan design for me.  During my other training programs (not designed by BT)I did lots of speed work and tempo, but these were for shorter distances like half marathon or full.

What gives BT???

2013-02-18 6:51 PM
in reply to: #4625149

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
GoFaster - 2013-02-16 6:33 PM

As to the bands and what not.  Yes, I have seen them, in fact I use to have a couple devices called Exer-Genie that allowed you to simulate swimming strokes with varying degrees of resistance.  In my opinion they actually do more harm than good.  They do not allow you to accurately simulate a freestyle movement.  You can get more strength work with dumb-bells in your hotel room than you would get with the "swim simulators" that I have seen.  I have been a swimmer for over 40 years and I have a pretty good freestyle, but when I use one of the stroke simulators, whether with bands or some other form of resistance, my stroke technique goes out the window.  The swim leg for most of the triathletes I have meet is their weakest segment.  I would be very concerned about doing more harm than good by trying to simulate swimming on dry land.

My personal opinion is, stick to real swimming in a real pool.  If you can't find a real pool today, then maybe tomorrow will be better.  The potential negative impact in my opinion far outweighs any possible good that will come from trying to simulate swimming.

Just to offer up an alternative opinion.  Sheila Taormina's book "Swim Speed Secrets" specifically references using bands to help swimmers strengthen their muscles, and practice a high elbow catch.  She specifies not to use the bands for a full range of motion, but rather to focus on the pull phase as it can be very difficult to accurately focus on the position of your arms, etc, when actually swimming. 

Let me start by saying I have not read "Swim Speed Secrets."  Next, I am not trying to start a heated debate over stroke technique.  All of that said, I will elaborate on why I am not a fan of dry land "swimming."  Then anyone considering using dry land methods can make an informed decision, or at least have additional information to ponder.

In my opinion, freestyle begins and ends with a good body roll.  Body roll being defined as - the rotation of your shoulders, torso, hips and legs around the long axis of the body.  Note that the definition of body roll does NOT include bending at the waste, which is what you generally have to do in order to simulate freestyle on dry land, unless you are on a bench of some sort, in which case you can't simulate body roll.  You can't have a good entry and catch if you don't have a proper body roll and you aren't going to have a proper body roll on dry land - period!  Here is the main thing to consider, if your body roll is correct, you are naturally in position to have a proper entry and catch.

The concern I have, when you try and pull out little segments of the stroke, is that while you may indeed improve that little segment, something else in the stroke WILL suffer.

In my opinion, freestyle is not a series of little segments that merge together into a complete stroke.  Rather, it is one fluid motion from entry, through the catch, pull, extension and recovery that is built upon the foundation of a good body roll.  If you want to improve your freestyle, perfect your body roll - in the water.  Your stroke technique will naturally improve once your body roll is correct.

Just my two cents . . . ok, two-and-a-half cents.

2013-02-18 9:07 PM
in reply to: #4542585

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Folks, my apologies again for being AWOL.  We have our biggest x-c ski marathon event of the year this coming Saturday and the day after that I have to fly to MS for one of our biggest work related meetings of the year.  Those two things colliding means chaos.  I will have to go back a couple pages and see where I need to pick up where I left off.  It looks like some of you have stepped up and picked up the slack and I really appreciate it....a sign of a good group!!!
2013-02-18 9:31 PM

User image

Pro
Ugggghhh...I just got my nutrition analysis from my dietition (who has qualified for Kona herself).  She said to replace coffee with green tea....ummmmmmmmmmmmmm    Lots of changes coming up
2013-02-18 10:54 PM
in reply to: #4622269

User image

Pro
GoFaster - 2013-02-14 11:16 AM
petertri - 2013-02-14 8:25 AM

ok folks, my first question, and hope  you have some advice.

i have been following the 20 week tri olympic schedule on BT.  i have been increasing my time working out by 10% per week, and will have finished week 3 this comming weekend.  after that i should cut back by 40%.  then i get into week 5 and begin increasing again.  Here is the issue. week 5 of training i will be on vacation at a resort in punta cana (this is the first time in 20 years my wife and i have taken a winter vacation) and i think that would be a better week to ease off.  is it ok to increase my workouts in week 4 and then reduce in week 5?  am i making sense here?

any help is appreciated.

Unless you are feeling any fatigue from week 3, then I see no reason not to bump the workouts in week 4, and enjoy the vacation.

agree!

2013-02-18 11:32 PM
in reply to: #4627307

User image

Pro
Cmarch - 2013-02-18 4:04 PM
GoFaster - 2013-02-17 4:04 PM

Thanks again!

Craig

I agree, however can anyone explain why the program designed by BT for me incorporates ONLY endurance workouts???  I assumed that because this is my first IM distance race the purpose of the endurance based training was to "just get me to the distance".  In the site articles it talks about endurance workouts only being done in Z1-2.  Every workout in the plan calls for "endurance pace" no matter how long or short the session.  I'm confused.  As a newbie I was trusting in the BT plan design for me.  During my other training programs (not designed by BT)I did lots of speed work and tempo, but these were for shorter distances like half marathon or full.

What gives BT???

Craig, if you are a GOLD member on BT I believe they have a forum for GOLD members using a BT training plan where you can ask specific questions.  I would recommend asking BT directly why they have designed their program that way.  I'm not a gold member so I can't view the plan.  For fear of contradicting what they may say, I will give my personal views and add on to what Neil has already contributed.

We need to keep in mind that the training load of a program is equal to the sum of the duration, intensity, and frequency of workouts.  By applying a progressive load over time, coupled with recovery, your body will adapt to that load and be able to take on increased load.  The net effect is that you get faster.  So, to some extent you will get faster by applying an increasing load just limited to z1/z2 workouts but you will not see nearly as much improvement as if you incorporated some higher intensity workouts.  And I'm not talking killer speed workouts.  If you remember some of my past posts, performance is improved by increasing your speed at lactate threshold.  We tend to think of LT workouts as around the middle of zone 3.  You really need to have some workouts that key in on training at or near your LT.  Again, this isn't speed work, but its not easy endurance either.  These shorter workouts are done at a pace faster than your IM race pace will be.  By doing enough of them you raise your LT and the net effect is that you will be able to race your IM at a faster pace than if you had simply trained z1/z2 all the time...but you must keep that IM race pace slower than your LT or you will implode.  I wouldn't be afraid of doing some of your workouts at a pace faster than z1/z2, especially biking as Neil outlines above...but I would also do it in running as well.  There will be a place for faster paced (z4/z5) workouts as you get more experience.

An example of how training load is managed to improve performance is my own marathon training.  If you read various plans they may have you do several slow runs in the 22-25 mile range with the argument, "hey if you can't do it in training you can't do it on race day".  Well, in my 10 standalone marathon races I never, ever, had a training run over 19 miles...ever.  So how did I run 8 sub 3 marathons on such "short" "long run" training?  It was because I made the most of my weekly mileage (I only peaked at 60-70 mpw).  My bread and butter quality run at the time was a 12 mile course near my house that I tried to maintain a 6:45-7:00 min/mi pace on....which is actually about 15-25 seconds/mile slower than my marathon PR pace.  My 19 milers were run at a slower pace obviously, but it was the more intense shorter runs that helped improve my LT and allow me to run a marathon faster.  Not sure if that makes sense or not.  As some say, train slow....race slow.

2013-02-18 11:33 PM

User image

Pro
Scott, thanks for the swimming input!!
2013-02-19 7:02 AM
in reply to: #4627686

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Birkierunner - 2013-02-18 10:31 PM

Ugggghhh...I just got my nutrition analysis from my dietition (who has qualified for Kona herself).  She said to replace coffee with green tea....ummmmmmmmmmmmmm    Lots of changes coming up

Can you explain the rationale for making such a crazy, crazy decision? Okay, so I love my coffee! Seriously though, it seems to me that you can find folks that argue both sides of the issue to include those that use gels with caffeine to train and race. Why give up coffee and why green tea? Please share.
2013-02-19 8:06 AM
in reply to: #4627868

User image

Pro

gatjr33 - 2013-02-19 7:02 AM
Birkierunner - 2013-02-18 10:31 PM Ugggghhh...I just got my nutrition analysis from my dietition (who has qualified for Kona herself).  She said to replace coffee with green tea....ummmmmmmmmmmmmm    Lots of changes coming up
Can you explain the rationale for making such a crazy, crazy decision? Okay, so I love my coffee! Seriously though, it seems to me that you can find folks that argue both sides of the issue to include those that use gels with caffeine to train and race. Why give up coffee and why green tea? Please share.

Ahhhhhhh!  Good question.  The key is....we do use caffeine (in form of caffeinated gels and clif bloks) in my longer key workouts and Ironman race fueling plan, especially in the later stages.  I think her rationale is, if I drink caffeinated coffee for every day existence then my body may become accustomed to a continual supply of caffeine and its stimulant effects may get blunted?  That's just my way of explaining it.  So, if you wean yourself off of it but then use it in longer key workouts and the later stages of an Ironman as a stimulant it may have a more potent effect.  I think green tea is recommended due to all of the antioxidants it contains and it helps assist in free radical neutralization. 

Edited by Birkierunner 2013-02-19 8:07 AM
2013-02-19 8:21 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario
I don't drink coffee - in fact, I don't really take in any caffeine except for the rare soft drink.  When racing/training longer, I use a gel that has caffeine, and find it helps as a stimulant to a certain degree.  I have no evidence to back that up, it's simply how I "feel".
2013-02-19 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4627529

User image

Elite
Ontario
k9car363 - 2013-02-18 7:51 PM
GoFaster - 2013-02-16 6:33 PM

Let me start by saying I have not read "Swim Speed Secrets."  Next, I am not trying to start a heated debate over stroke technique.  All of that said, I will elaborate on why I am not a fan of dry land "swimming."  Then anyone considering using dry land methods can make an informed decision, or at least have additional information to ponder.

In my opinion, freestyle begins and ends with a good body roll.  Body roll being defined as - the rotation of your shoulders, torso, hips and legs around the long axis of the body.  Note that the definition of body roll does NOT include bending at the waste, which is what you generally have to do in order to simulate freestyle on dry land, unless you are on a bench of some sort, in which case you can't simulate body roll.  You can't have a good entry and catch if you don't have a proper body roll and you aren't going to have a proper body roll on dry land - period!  Here is the main thing to consider, if your body roll is correct, you are naturally in position to have a proper entry and catch.

The concern I have, when you try and pull out little segments of the stroke, is that while you may indeed improve that little segment, something else in the stroke WILL suffer.

In my opinion, freestyle is not a series of little segments that merge together into a complete stroke.  Rather, it is one fluid motion from entry, through the catch, pull, extension and recovery that is built upon the foundation of a good body roll.  If you want to improve your freestyle, perfect your body roll - in the water.  Your stroke technique will naturally improve once your body roll is correct.

Just my two cents . . . ok, two-and-a-half cents.

Thanks for the feedback Scott.  For me, my swim stroke is all about little pieces unfortunately.  If I swim what feels natural, then I'm doing things wrong - simply because I'm late to the game and don't have an instinctual feel for the water or what is right.  Hopefully I'll progress to the point where things click and it becomes more fluid.  At least, I keep hoping it will!!

2013-02-19 8:35 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Been off the grid as well at a work conference all last week.  Brought my bike and trainer and used the hotel treadmill to get my workouts in...but not ideal...and zero time to play on the computer.

I do much better on a routine so glad to be home.  Hope to check in on a daily basis here.

2013-02-19 10:45 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Just bumping this up so we don't have to search forever for it!
2013-02-19 4:38 PM
in reply to: #4627950

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Birkierunner - 2013-02-19 9:06 AM

Birkierunner - 2013-02-18 10:31 PM Ugggghhh...I just got my nutrition analysis from my dietition (who has qualified for Kona herself).  She said to replace coffee with green tea....ummmmmmmmmmmmmm    Lots of changes coming up

Ahhhhhhh!  Good question.  The key is....we do use caffeine (in form of caffeinated gels and clif bloks) in my longer key workouts and Ironman race fueling plan, especially in the later stages.  I think her rationale is, if I drink caffeinated coffee for every day existence then my body may become accustomed to a continual supply of caffeine and its stimulant effects may get blunted?  That's just my way of explaining it.  So, if you wean yourself off of it but then use it in longer key workouts and the later stages of an Ironman as a stimulant it may have a more potent effect.  I think green tea is recommended due to all of the antioxidants it contains and it helps assist in free radical neutralization. 

Seems to me this is the approach, or close to it, that Reid took a few years back. He documented how he gave up coffee for like three weeks prior to racing for exactly this reason. However, even he said that he was not sure that it helped. Do you believe this to be factual or a philosophy? Hey, when someone like Reid does it, lots of folks want to jump on the bandwagon and state it as fact. I have no facts either way. I like coffee, enjoy it on a regular basis and also understand the benefits of green tea. However, I would need more information to be convince that giving up one for the other would somehow improve one's training or racing. Thoughts?
2013-02-19 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4629047

User image

Pro
gatjr33 - 2013-02-19 4:38 PM

Seems to me this is the approach, or close to it, that Reid took a few years back. He documented how he gave up coffee for like three weeks prior to racing for exactly this reason. However, even he said that he was not sure that it helped. Do you believe this to be factual or a philosophy? Hey, when someone like Reid does it, lots of folks want to jump on the bandwagon and state it as fact. I have no facts either way. I like coffee, enjoy it on a regular basis and also understand the benefits of green tea. However, I would need more information to be convince that giving up one for the other would somehow improve one's training or racing. Thoughts?

I have no clue :-)  But, like Reid, I'm willing to experiment.  And, I would probably give it longer than 3 weeks before I decided.  I'm not a guy that is like a zombie unless he has a cup of coffee in the morning.  I simply like coffee.  My nutritionist isn't stating something as fact.   She simply provided dietary suggestions and said replace coffee with green tea and caffeine would be used in key workouts and in an Ironman.  I don't think its a stretch to say if you haven't been exposed to caffeine (or very little) for an extended time (again, I don't think 3 weeks is long) and then its re-introduced to your body it may have a greater effect.  I don't need 10 double-blind studies with unequivocal results to say, "hey, I'll give it a try".  I don't think I've heard much about the benefits of coffee itself compared to the benefits of green tea but to be honest I haven't read about it either way.  Maybe I'll drink both :-)

2013-02-19 9:04 PM
in reply to: #4629289

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Birkierunner - 2013-02-19 9:19 PM
gatjr33 - 2013-02-19 4:38 PM

I have no clue :-)  But, like Reid, I'm willing to experiment.  And, I would probably give it longer than 3 weeks before I decided.  I'm not a guy that is like a zombie unless he has a cup of coffee in the morning.  I simply like coffee.  My nutritionist isn't stating something as fact.   She simply provided dietary suggestions and said replace coffee with green tea and caffeine would be used in key workouts and in an Ironman.  I don't think its a stretch to say if you haven't been exposed to caffeine (or very little) for an extended time (again, I don't think 3 weeks is long) and then its re-introduced to your body it may have a greater effect.  I don't need 10 double-blind studies with unequivocal results to say, "hey, I'll give it a try".  I don't think I've heard much about the benefits of coffee itself compared to the benefits of green tea but to be honest I haven't read about it either way.  Maybe I'll drink both :-)

No coffee?  Just shoot me!

2013-02-20 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4629363

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Agreed, I do not need coffee, but I sure do like it and would not want to give it up. I am willing to toy with my nutrition, but some things are crossing the line. Coffee is one of them. Okay, back to training, because coffee or tea is not going to improve my fitness!

Edited by gatjr33 2013-02-20 11:58 AM
2013-02-21 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Just checking in - off to a good start this week with workouts.  I have been focusing alot on the bike the last few weeks and my run frequency has dropped off so working on that.   Still want to focus on the bike but just want to get out the door more frequently for some easier runs and strides to keep the good gains I made over the last 14 weeks.

Swimming...well...yeah that will have to wait a few more weeks until I get into race prep but their is some good swim conversation happening!

2 years ago in the winter I worked so hard on improving my swim and really made nice gains in the pool that did not translate so well to my racing...for whatever reason.  So the last 2 years I have really concentrated on Bike/Run and my swim times have stayed the same without a dropoff so figure this is better at the moment as my Bike/Run has improved nicely.

2013-02-21 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4631299

User image

Elite
Ontario

I'm swimming 4-5 days a week at the moment = frustrating.  Can't get the high elbow catch when I actually swim, even though it's certainly doable in drills. 

Haven't been able to run for 2 weeks because of achilles pain, so I better find some improvements in the water!

2013-02-21 11:49 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

Did a great treadmill workout to start the day.  tough one tho.  here it is:   warm up for 10 mins then 1 min each @ 2%, 4%, 6%, 8%, 10%, then 5 mins at 0%, repeat 4 times then end with three 30 second sprints as fast as you can handle. 5 mins cool down.  Pace was kept comfy and there were 30 second recoveries (off the treadmill) between the sprints.

whew!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!! Rss Feed  

of 25