BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2013-02-20 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4629177

User image

New user
OKC
Subject: RE: JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed
stuart_little_9 - 2013-02-19 6:13 PM
jford2309 - 2013-02-19 7:53 AM

One thing I take for granted is stretching. I have read articles that tell me to stretch before workouts, and then it seems I flip the page and find articles that tell me not to stretch! I do have some go to stretches that do throughout the day or especially when I am feeling tight.

My favorite stretch at the moment is one where I lay on the floor and my legs are going up the wall. I get my butt as close to the wall as possible and straighten my knees. Feels so good, especially on the lower back!

What are you go to stretches?  And do you stretch before workouts?

Most of the recent research is saying stretching before workouts does not reduce the risk of injury, but a dynamic warmup (eg easy jogging and high knees/butt kicks/leg swings etc) does. I try to stretch for a few minutes post workout, but it usually doesn't happen. I tend to recover pretty well, but in saying that my hammies are still tight from 2 days ago from my strength workout. I would love to be more regular with my stretching and foam roller routine, but I am lazy. No excuses here.

I've heard this from several people on this forum.  In my experience... definitely not true.  I always get a good stretch in before doing any cardio or working out.  The few times I haven't, I've managed to pull something or had to cut my workout short because something cramped.  I don't necessarily want to argue the point that pre-workout stretches are important, but rather that, if you've been doing it long enough that your body expects it... don't stop doing it or you'll be sorry!

As for my weakness, I feel guilty saying this, but... salads with a good italian dressing!  I can go through a bag of premixed for 4 people in one sitting and have been known to demolish a head of lettuce.  My wife thinks I'm the weirdest person ever!  That being said, I love my sweets, but I'm an equal opportunity sweetist... if it's got sugar, I'll take it.  Thankfully I've got the metabolism to back me up on that or I'd be a 300+ pound monstrosity.

2013-02-20 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4629744

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Warner1281 - 2013-02-20 9:14 AM

One thing I take for granted is stretching. I have read articles that tell me to stretch before workouts, and then it seems I flip the page and find articles that tell me not to stretch! I do have some go to stretches that do throughout the day or especially when I am feeling tight.

My favorite stretch at the moment is one where I lay on the floor and my legs are going up the wall. I get my butt as close to the wall as possible and straighten my knees. Feels so good, especially on the lower back!

Most of the recent research is saying stretching before workouts does not reduce the risk of injury, but a dynamic warmup (eg easy jogging and high knees/butt kicks/leg swings etc) does. I try to stretch for a few minutes post workout, but it usually doesn't happen. I tend to recover pretty well, but in saying that my hammies are still tight from 2 days ago from my strength workout. I would love to be more regular with my stretching and foam roller routine, but I am lazy. No excuses here.

I've heard this from several people on this forum.  In my experience... definitely not true.  I always get a good stretch in before doing any cardio or working out.  The few times I haven't, I've managed to pull something or had to cut my workout short because something cramped.  I don't necessarily want to argue the point that pre-workout stretches are important, but rather that, if you've been doing it long enough that your body expects it... don't stop doing it or you'll be sorry!

As for my weakness, I feel guilty saying this, but... salads with a good italian dressing!  I can go through a bag of premixed for 4 people in one sitting and have been known to demolish a head of lettuce.  My wife thinks I'm the weirdest person ever!  That being said, I love my sweets, but I'm an equal opportunity sweetist... if it's got sugar, I'll take it.  Thankfully I've got the metabolism to back me up on that or I'd be a 300+ pound monstrosity.

I have heard lots of talk about stretching.  The most common right now is dynamic stretching before and static stretching after.  I wish I was consistent or to be honest even considered doing either.  I have it in my mind that the first mile of a run, first few miles on the bike or the first few laps in the pool are used as a warmup which will "stretch" whatever I need stretched to do that workout.  I know! I know! That isn't what we are supposed to do.  I am just being honest.  I have been running since 2006 (before that I was 100 pounds over weight and had never EVER been athletic in any way).  I have really only had 1 injury which was a stress fracture just over a year ago.  It was caused from too much concrete running.  So I guess it all comes down to being able to listen to your body.  By the way, the studies that say static stretching before your workout doesn't prevent injury does not say that it hurts you in anyway.  So if it is what you are doing . . . keep doing it!

My weakness - I would say it is chocolate only lately it is anything I can get my hands on.  I seem to be hungry all the time.  In my 3 hour bike ride on Monday, I was only an hour into it and I was craving a Big Mac!  Good thing I still had 2 more hours and no one was home for me to send to McDonalds.  By the time I was done, I was too tired to even think about going out for food! Laughing

2013-02-20 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4543020

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
My guilty pleasure is pizza.  I could eat it every single day.  Doesn't really fit well with triathlon training but......IT'S JUST SOOOO GOOD.  Laughing
2013-02-20 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
Ohhhh lasagna, and ice cream ! and there is no hope for moderation or portion control when it comes to either of those, they just can't be in the house
2013-02-20 5:04 PM
in reply to: #4629800

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
mkennedy0525 - 2013-02-21 12:47 AM

Warner1281 - 2013-02-20 9:14 AM

I have heard lots of talk about stretching.  The most common right now is dynamic stretching before and static stretching after.  I wish I was consistent or to be honest even considered doing either.  I have it in my mind that the first mile of a run, first few miles on the bike or the first few laps in the pool are used as a warmup which will "stretch" whatever I need stretched to do that workout.  I know! I know! That isn't what we are supposed to do.  I am just being honest.  I have been running since 2006 (before that I was 100 pounds over weight and had never EVER been athletic in any way).  I have really only had 1 injury which was a stress fracture just over a year ago.  It was caused from too much concrete running.  So I guess it all comes down to being able to listen to your body.  By the way, the studies that say static stretching before your workout doesn't prevent injury does not say that it hurts you in anyway.  So if it is what you are doing . . . keep doing it!

My weakness - I would say it is chocolate only lately it is anything I can get my hands on.  I seem to be hungry all the time.  In my 3 hour bike ride on Monday, I was only an hour into it and I was craving a Big Mac!  Good thing I still had 2 more hours and no one was home for me to send to McDonalds.  By the time I was done, I was too tired to even think about going out for food! Laughing

Not sure how to make a part of text in bold font but what you said "dynamic stretching before and static stretching after" is right.

Some people do like to stretch before, and I think if you are particularly sore or tight then this is a good idea.

And when I say stretch - I mean traditional static stretching, not dynamic stuff like legs swings and twists and those sorts of exercises. I do those for sure.

Guilty pleasure - ice cream! Love it. Would have it all the time if I could. I'm really lean so thankfully I can get away with it. Also at the moment I"m really enjoying toasted English muffins with jam (jelly for y'all) in the morning at work.
2013-02-21 7:55 AM

User image

New user

My guilty pleasure would have to be fresh homemade chocolate chip cookies.  Normally this isn't a problem, but my two boys have been begging the wife every week to make them, so they are always around.  Seems like we go through 2 dozen a week as a family. 

As for stretching, I still stick to what I learned in HS track all those years ago.  Short 1/2 mile warm up jog then some dynamic stretches for 5-10 min.  Then 10-15 of static stretching after the workout. 

On a different note, I was planning on getting in a nice 4-5 mile run outside today but here in KS we just got slammed with 8-9 in of snow and it's still coming so everything is shut down.

2013-02-22 7:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
I am used the ice storm as my excuse to not go to the gym this morning.  My day is packed with no time for a workout.  Today just became a rest day! Definitely not what I had planned. 
2013-02-22 7:51 AM
in reply to: #4632840

User image

New user

We are on our second snow day here in KS.  Yesterday's workout included building a 6 foot snowman, throwing my boys in the snow, snowball fights, and filling 32 five gallon buckets to build a snow fort to keep us safe from the zombies.  Today's workout will include sledding, snowball fights and possibly a trip to the gym if they open up today.

2013-02-22 8:22 AM
in reply to: #4632849

User image

New user
OKC
Nadamson12 - 2013-02-22 7:51 AM

We are on our second snow day here in KS.  Yesterday's workout included building a 6 foot snowman, throwing my boys in the snow, snowball fights, and filling 32 five gallon buckets to build a snow fort to keep us safe from the zombies.  Today's workout will include sledding, snowball fights and possibly a trip to the gym if they open up today.

I like it!!  We didn't get quite as much snow as you guys in KS, but here in OK we got enough for me to have the day off (with a little coaxing Wink), so it's going to be a brick workout for me today.  Glad to be back in the groove after a couple weeks of crud going on.

In lighter news... I can definitely see a difference in the abs already (besides the soreness, lol).  Didn't know there were 6 of them.  Just thought it was just 1 solid ab to protect my belly from being poked!

2013-02-22 9:35 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I was just about to ask how everyone was doing on the core challenge! Snow days won;pt keep you from doing that no will it!

I can sense my core getting stronger. I am not up to sets of 100! Feeling good! I just wish I could get excited about S/B/R again. I have been traveling and on a recovery week this week which has made it hard for me to focus on doing what I need to do! Sometimes I hate rest/recovery weeks, but I know they are needed!

2013-02-23 7:28 AM
in reply to: #4632849

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Nadamson12 - 2013-02-22 8:51 AM

Now that is my kind of training.  As a kid, I lived a few years in Minnesota and loved being in the snow all the time.  Here in Ohio, we very seldom get enough snow to do anything with it.  I also have a neighbor with a snow blower that insists on clearing the driveways and sidewalks of about 10 of our homes on our street.  I keep telling him he is taking away my workout but he loves doing it!  Leaves more time for me to make snow angels with my granddaughter!!!!

2013-02-23 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4633049

User image

New user
jford2309 - 2013-02-22 9:35 AM

I was just about to ask how everyone was doing on the core challenge! Snow days won;pt keep you from doing that no will it!

I can sense my core getting stronger. I am not up to sets of 100! Feeling good! I just wish I could get excited about S/B/R again. I have been traveling and on a recovery week this week which has made it hard for me to focus on doing what I need to do! Sometimes I hate rest/recovery weeks, but I know they are needed!

Glad to see I am not the only one that is struggling with the S/B/R.  After the surgery, then getting sick it has been most of Feb. that I haven't been training hard.  Now that I am healthy and have the opportunity to train it is hard to get back into it.

Abs are still going well for me.  Can tell a difference when the kids jump on me!

2013-02-25 8:46 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Sat 6.1 mile run  500 crunches

Sunday 21 mile ride  300 crunches

Monday 5 mile run

tonight- 15 mile ride 400 crunches

After tonight, I will be 500 crunches away from hitting my goal of 7,000!

2013-02-25 10:10 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia

Just thought I would put my blog post in here about my adventure through Insanity this off season.

Well....I missed the last week of Insanity workouts because of work.  I will say this though.  IT'S AN UNBELIEVABLE OFF SEASON WORKOUT!!!!  Final results of the workout.  I lost 2 inches off the waist and 16 pounds from when I started.   It's so dramatic in the 60 days that people have actually made comments at work about how I've lost weight!  I highly encourage people to do Insanity as an off season workout.  It will help with core strength, agility, and athleticism.  So much that with NO tri specific training, I was able to cut 15 minutes from my Indoor Triathlon times.

2013-02-25 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4635898

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Devilsdlg - 2013-02-25 10:10 AM

Just thought I would put my blog post in here about my adventure through Insanity this off season.

Well....I missed the last week of Insanity workouts because of work.  I will say this though.  IT'S AN UNBELIEVABLE OFF SEASON WORKOUT!!!!  Final results of the workout.  I lost 2 inches off the waist and 16 pounds from when I started.   It's so dramatic in the 60 days that people have actually made comments at work about how I've lost weight!  I highly encourage people to do Insanity as an off season workout.  It will help with core strength, agility, and athleticism.  So much that with NO tri specific training, I was able to cut 15 minutes from my Indoor Triathlon times.

Congrats on the awesome results!  2 inches and 16 pounds!!  Freaking awesome!

2013-02-25 4:07 PM
in reply to: #4635898

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Devilsdlg - 2013-02-25 8:10 AM

---that's Insane!!! (ha!!) Great results! Great way to go into the season! I thought Insanity was primarily a cardio workout. I thought about getting the program but with S B R I figured it would be too much cardio.

2013-02-25 4:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
-----Ya'll are really killing the core challenge!! I offered that we work core yet haven't participated at all. Can you say LOSER! The good new is I got my pool meme worship today and had my first swim since July! I took it slow &easy. Swam 1100 : 100 swim 200 kick .... i was hapy with the swim. ----- Well it's been a awful week for training. Kids were off for winter break. I think I got one workout in while they were off. ....i Took them to the beach, San Francisco(cable car ride. Pier 39, Ghiradelli Square), and headed to our cabin for the weekend (skiing.) I hadnt skiied since college 15ish yrs ago?! But it's kinda like riding a bike.. Once you know how, you don't really forget. Glad for that! And glad I kept the body moving.
2013-02-25 4:47 PM
in reply to: #4636640

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
EV3110 - 2013-02-25 4:07 PM
Devilsdlg - 2013-02-25 8:10 AM

---that's Insane!!! (ha!!) Great results! Great way to go into the season! I thought Insanity was primarily a cardio workout. I thought about getting the program but with S B R I figured it would be too much cardio.

It is primarily cardio.  The thing is it's also got a TON of resistance training using only your own body weight.  Almost every exercise has an element of core conditioning also.  It really hits your entire body including cardio in a single, VERY high intensity workout.  I can't be happier with the results and jump start to my first ever tri season.

2013-02-26 11:25 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Had a great swim this morning. 1700 yards.

This is more for me than you guys, but I thought you might like to hear my thoughts!

Self Rant coming in 3....2....1...

Seems like I have found my motivation again after going through a slump there for a few days. This weekend while I was running something just kept going through my head. "It's time to get serious" Out of nowhere, just kept going through my thoughts. Maybe it is a sign that I need to re-focus my workouts. I am not out there going for just miles. If my plan says run 5 miles, I need to know how to approach those 5 miles. How can I get the most benefit out of that run? What do I need to do to get the maximum benefit? That is my thought process going forward. I have an Olympic triathlon in May. Last year I PR'd it at 2:47. This year i want 2:40. Now how do I make that happen? I have to get serious.

So what about you? Are your workouts truly workouts or are you checking off the miles as just getting them done?

Edited by jford2309 2013-02-26 11:29 AM
2013-02-26 6:13 PM
in reply to: #4637508

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
jford2309 - 2013-02-27 3:25 AM

Had a great swim this morning. 1700 yards.

This is more for me than you guys, but I thought you might like to hear my thoughts!

Self Rant coming in 3....2....1...

Seems like I have found my motivation again after going through a slump there for a few days. This weekend while I was running something just kept going through my head. "It's time to get serious" Out of nowhere, just kept going through my thoughts. Maybe it is a sign that I need to re-focus my workouts. I am not out there going for just miles. If my plan says run 5 miles, I need to know how to approach those 5 miles. How can I get the most benefit out of that run? What do I need to do to get the maximum benefit? That is my thought process going forward. I have an Olympic triathlon in May. Last year I PR'd it at 2:47. This year i want 2:40. Now how do I make that happen? I have to get serious.

So what about you? Are your workouts truly workouts or are you checking off the miles as just getting them done?

I agree - each workout needs a purpose, even if that purpose is 'recovery' or 'base building'. Lately I've been reviewing my planned workout right before starting and saying "what is the purpose?" and "what am I trying to achieve". This way, you know what you need to do and focus on the process to achieve the outcome.

Did 2800m in the pool on Monday and 45min run yesterday. Got 2:20 long run and 5:30 long bike this weekend. Last Sundays 5hr bike was tough. I went to a music festival on Saturday and spent several hours standing and rocking out - so legs were pretty sore before I started.

Side note- the festival included some of my favourite bands - Metallica, blink 182, linkin park, Paramore, Offspring - many of the songs on my workout playlist are from these bands, so I almost felt like doing a workout!
2013-02-27 9:46 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

My motivation came back.....but I sometimes fall into the trap of doing a workout becuase it's on the schedule....and not for any other reason.

I have 80 days until my IM. I feel, right now, that I could CRUSH a sprint distance, go 2:50 on an OLY, trudge thru a 70.3, and no way do a IM. My "time to get serious" has passed. I should have gotten serious earlier. But....since I can't change that, I have to keep pushing.

Stuart....who drummed for Blink???? Since Travis Barker doesn't fly anymore, getting to AUS was out for him.

2013-02-27 9:54 AM

User image

New user
OKC
Not sure I quite know what the purpose of some of my workouts are.  That's probably a result of being a 3 year "noob."  Really just rebuilding my base right now, so theoretically... yeah, I'm just going through the miles.  In another week or 2 I plan on actually incorporating more speed and bricks to try and start working off that base, but my body's just not ready for it yet (and the cold weather really puts a damper on any of my good workouts since I can only stand the gym for so long).
2013-02-27 11:31 AM

User image

New user

I am pretty sure I am just going through the motions of a workout w/out real thought as to why other than that is what the program told me to do.  I am hoping that once the weather gets better here I can get outside and do some workouts that will have purpose.  It is hard to run on a track for much longer than 30 min for me. 

Motivation right now is lacking.  We just had a 6 day weekend because of snow.  Got a little over 20in. here in Kansas setting an all time record.  Now that I am back to work and on a schedule it will get better.

On a side note, I went to my first ever spin class last night and got my rear handed to me.  I might have had the resistance a little high for my first time, but will continue to go 1-2 times a week till I can get out on the road again.

2013-02-27 5:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Swim question: just got back in the pool this week since JULY!! It wasn't as awful as I anticipated. But i noticed something... Becides the snails pace(2:15 pace usually.. But he last 2 days probably more like 3 min pe 100 lol) anyway i noticed I have a looong glide once my tips enter the water. - Meaning once my arm is extended out underwater in front of me (not crossing my midline , I can actually count almost 2 seconds of gliding from start to finish before i begin pulling. Should my catch& pull be a continuous motion?
2013-02-27 6:14 PM
in reply to: #4638861

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Warner1281 - 2013-02-28 1:54 AM

Not sure I quite know what the purpose of some of my workouts are.  That's probably a result of being a 3 year "noob."  Really just rebuilding my base right now, so theoretically... yeah, I'm just going through the miles.  In another week or 2 I plan on actually incorporating more speed and bricks to try and start working off that base, but my body's just not ready for it yet (and the cold weather really puts a damper on any of my good workouts since I can only stand the gym for so long).

Nick - early on base bulding is good and just 'getting the miles' is how to do it. I'd say by 3rd year you should have a good base, and it can be time to start incorporating some more aspects to training. Base building is still very important though.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 27