BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-01-02 9:51 PM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Regular
Bearspaw, Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed

Whew, made it through my run tonight.  It wasn't pretty and it wasn't fast - but I did it.

Question for you runner folks - sore legs: run through it or rest them?  I think my legs are still recovering a bit from my long run on the weekend.  I took Monday off but ran yesterday and today.  My legs are still sore (tired sore, not hurt sore).  My 'inner-BigDH' says keep on running but I know a lot of you have a lot more running experience than I do so I figured I'd poll you all.

2013-01-02 9:55 PM

User image

Regular
Bearspaw, Alberta
NOOOOOOOOOOO - all my beer froze.    Stupid mini-fridge!!
2013-01-03 2:49 AM
in reply to: #4559112

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Wiff - 2013-01-02 7:51 PM

Whew, made it through my run tonight.  It wasn't pretty and it wasn't fast - but I did it.

Question for you runner folks - sore legs: run through it or rest them?  I think my legs are still recovering a bit from my long run on the weekend.  I took Monday off but ran yesterday and today.  My legs are still sore (tired sore, not hurt sore).  My 'inner-BigDH' says keep on running but I know a lot of you have a lot more running experience than I do so I figured I'd poll you all.

Rest em'.  2/3 is a wonderful average in baseball and triathlon.  If  you just need to work out, go for a swim, or easy bike.  I work out 5-6 times per week and rest 1-2 times.  I find my body functions better rested and I also avoid injuries which innevitably force you to rest not on your terms.

Speaking of rest, Your beer in the fridge.....  can we have a moment of silence BDAS.  Here's what you do, when you read this, take a 10 second pause to your day for Kim's beer.

Sorry for your loss Kim. 

2013-01-03 6:01 AM
in reply to: #4559290

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
kevinbe - 2013-01-03 1:49 AM
Wiff - 2013-01-02 7:51 PM

Rest em'.  2/3 is a wonderful average in baseball and triathlon.  If  you just need to work out, go for a swim, or easy bike.  I work out 5-6 times per week and rest 1-2 times.  I find my body functions better rested and I also avoid injuries which innevitably force you to rest not on your terms.

Speaking of rest, Your beer in the fridge.....  can we have a moment of silence BDAS.  Here's what you do, when you read this, take a 10 second pause to your day for Kim's beer.

Sorry for your loss Kim. 

If you have a cycle trainer or access to a spin bike go for an easy spin as a replacement. Thaw out beer and see if salvagable....my condolences...Cry

2013-01-03 7:42 AM
in reply to: #4559116

User image

Expert

Wiff - 2013-01-02 9:55 PM NOOOOOOOOOOO - all my beer froze.    Stupid mini-fridge!![/QUOTE

Moment of silence... They will be missed...

My advice about the legs is to take a look at your week... So today is Thursday.  If you have a rest day on Friday - you could push it a bit and go nice and slow today based upon the level of soreness with the idea being that your legs will rest up on your off day.  However, if your legs are really sore, or if you have a big weekend planned, I'd take the day off.  What you don't want to do in the weeks leading up to a race is get injured and take 2 weeks out of your schedule while you recover.  

Taking a rest day is advice I don't often head and I have paid for it...

2013-01-03 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

7.5 mile run last night, 1900 yard swim this am and maybe buy a tri bike today after work.

no beer.

2013-01-03 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4559458

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
bobddsmd - 2013-01-03 6:51 AM

7.5 mile run last night, 1900 yard swim this am and maybe buy a tri bike today after work.

no beer.

Like everything except the no beer part...just kidding...kind of. Smile

Are you going with a tri bike or a road bike?

2013-01-03 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

First run of the year this morning. A little faster then I should have been going but when there is someone else on the track....well, I couldn't let him pass me could I? Smile

4 miles and change then 5 minutes on the rowing machine which was my friend during the height of my weight loss...5 minutes of torture this morning. I love it and hate it at the same time!

Anybody up for a 30/30 challenge? 30 S/B/R workouts in January. Minimum 20 minutes/workout?(note: not 30 of each, 30 total)

2013-01-03 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4559112

User image

Champion
Calgary
Wiff - 2013-01-02 8:51 PM

You just need to take your time. Unless you are running 4 times a week consistently there is just about no need ever to run 2 days in a row. Are you trying to build up quickly?

If you are trying to move to 4 days a week I would do something like Tuesday Thursday Friday Sunday with your long run on Sunday. That way you get a rest day before and after your long run. You could do Monday Wednesday, Thursday Saturday or whatever. Try to go for an easy bike ride the day after your long run, or that evening even, and that really helps with recovery.

Eventually when you move to 6 or 7 days a week you will actually be able to do a proper recover run. Like you will be able to go out and run and you will be tired and sore but your legs will want it and you won't be dragging your butt through it. For most people though that takes some serious time. You have to remember the thing you need to worry about isn't the big muscles that are sore, it is the little muscles and tendons and bones that you don't necessarily feel until they crack or tear.

Do 4 days a week for a month, or maybe 3 months, or forever, a triathlete who runs 4 days a week is running more than most. Work in the biking and swimming.

Do you have a plan? Your training goals are mileage based, which I think are great. So if all you want to hit is 1000km running, then you just need to run 5k a day 4 times a week. Why push it to more than that right now?

The other thing is that the pace of a recovery run is very easy. If your long run left you hurting at a 6:20 pace then a true recovery run maybe should be done at over a 7:00 /km pace.

There really is so much to run training and triathlon training. I blabber on. Go for 4 days a week. Take a day off before and after your long run.
2013-01-03 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4559510

User image

Champion
Calgary
thor67 - 2013-01-03 7:22 AM

First run of the year this morning. A little faster then I should have been going but when there is someone else on the track....well, I couldn't let him pass me could I? Smile

4 miles and change then 5 minutes on the rowing machine which was my friend during the height of my weight loss...5 minutes of torture this morning. I love it and hate it at the same time!

Anybody up for a 30/30 challenge? 30 S/B/R workouts in January. Minimum 20 minutes/workout?(note: not 30 of each, 30 total)

so you just go hard for 5 minutes on the rowing machine?
2013-01-03 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4559588

User image

Veteran
Dallas
BigDH - 2013-01-03 8:56 AM

You just need to take your time. Unless you are running 4 times a week consistently there is just about no need ever to run 2 days in a row. Are you trying to build up quickly? If you are trying to move to 4 days a week I would do something like Tuesday Thursday Friday Sunday with your long run on Sunday. That way you get a rest day before and after your long run. You could do Monday Wednesday, Thursday Saturday or whatever. Try to go for an easy bike ride the day after your long run, or that evening even, and that really helps with recovery. Eventually when you move to 6 or 7 days a week you will actually be able to do a proper recover run. Like you will be able to go out and run and you will be tired and sore but your legs will want it and you won't be dragging your butt through it. For most people though that takes some serious time. You have to remember the thing you need to worry about isn't the big muscles that are sore, it is the little muscles and tendons and bones that you don't necessarily feel until they crack or tear. Do 4 days a week for a month, or maybe 3 months, or forever, a triathlete who runs 4 days a week is running more than most. Work in the biking and swimming. Do you have a plan? Your training goals are mileage based, which I think are great. So if all you want to hit is 1000km running, then you just need to run 5k a day 4 times a week. Why push it to more than that right now? The other thing is that the pace of a recovery run is very easy. If your long run left you hurting at a 6:20 pace then a true recovery run maybe should be done at over a 7:00 /km pace. There really is so much to run training and triathlon training. I blabber on. Go for 4 days a week. Take a day off before and after your long run.

x2

Don't be afraid to "just" run 3 days a week. I went from very little base to finishing a HM healthy and happy on 3 days a week following a Higdon Novice plan. I did s/b on other days. Too much, too soon is all to common. The problem is that the cardiovascular system and brain is ready but bones and tendon/ligaments take more time to adapt.

2013-01-03 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4559629

User image

Regular
Bearspaw, Alberta
bobddsmd - 2013-01-03 8:13 AM

You just need to take your time. Unless you are running 4 times a week consistently there is just about no need ever to run 2 days in a row. Are you trying to build up quickly? If you are trying to move to 4 days a week I would do something like Tuesday Thursday Friday Sunday with your long run on Sunday. That way you get a rest day before and after your long run. You could do Monday Wednesday, Thursday Saturday or whatever. Try to go for an easy bike ride the day after your long run, or that evening even, and that really helps with recovery. Eventually when you move to 6 or 7 days a week you will actually be able to do a proper recover run. Like you will be able to go out and run and you will be tired and sore but your legs will want it and you won't be dragging your butt through it. For most people though that takes some serious time. You have to remember the thing you need to worry about isn't the big muscles that are sore, it is the little muscles and tendons and bones that you don't necessarily feel until they crack or tear. Do 4 days a week for a month, or maybe 3 months, or forever, a triathlete who runs 4 days a week is running more than most. Work in the biking and swimming. Do you have a plan? Your training goals are mileage based, which I think are great. So if all you want to hit is 1000km running, then you just need to run 5k a day 4 times a week. Why push it to more than that right now? The other thing is that the pace of a recovery run is very easy. If your long run left you hurting at a 6:20 pace then a true recovery run maybe should be done at over a 7:00 /km pace. There really is so much to run training and triathlon training. I blabber on. Go for 4 days a week. Take a day off before and after your long run.

x2

Don't be afraid to "just" run 3 days a week. I went from very little base to finishing a HM healthy and happy on 3 days a week following a Higdon Novice plan. I did s/b on other days. Too much, too soon is all to common. The problem is that the cardiovascular system and brain is ready but bones and tendon/ligaments take more time to adapt.

Thanks all.  Higdon is what I'm following and they had 4 runs a week so I was thinking that's what I had to do doing.  Clearly, the body is just not quite ready for that yet so I'll cut one back.  I am trying to do a pretty major jump in my mileage but I can always walk a bit if I have to - I'd rather not get injured.    Glad to hear you can make the jump on just 3 days!!

So today's plan heat the leg, maybe swim and a trip to the beer store to replace everything.  I checked out a defrosted one this morning and it was looking pretty flat.

2013-01-03 10:20 AM

User image

Regular
Bearspaw, Alberta

I hate track running for exactly that reason.  

I used to love the rowing machine when I had a gym membership.  There was a cute little animation that dropped people into either my boat or the boat I was racing and then a shark would come along and eat them.  Good times...  

2013-01-03 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4559603

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
BigDH - 2013-01-03 8:00 AM

so you just go hard for 5 minutes on the rowing machine?

No it was hard going for 5 minutes...Finished my run and decided to hop on my old workout friend, the rower and it was damn hard. I used to do 10k rows...not anymore!

2013-01-03 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4559809

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Wiff - 2013-01-03 9:20 AM

I hate track running for exactly that reason.  

I used to love the rowing machine when I had a gym membership.  There was a cute little animation that dropped people into either my boat or the boat I was racing and then a shark would come along and eat them.  Good times...  

I keep looking for a used concept2 D or E cheap...unfortunately, I will be looking for a long time. I found it to be a great overall workout! 

2013-01-03 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4559793

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Wiff - 2013-01-03 10:14 AM
bobddsmd - 2013-01-03 8:13 AM

x2

Thanks all.  Higdon is what I'm following and they had 4 runs a week so I was thinking that's what I had to do doing.  Clearly, the body is just not quite ready for that yet so I'll cut one back.  I am trying to do a pretty major jump in my mileage but I can always walk a bit if I have to - I'd rather not get injured.    Glad to hear you can make the jump on just 3 days!!

So today's plan heat the leg, maybe swim and a trip to the beer store to replace everything.  I checked out a defrosted one this morning and it was looking pretty flat.

My running plan called for 4 days running but the 4th was run or cross train. Therefore I crosstrained. I had a history of shin splints and plantar fascitis. Therefore I did not want to push it. I also used a run/walk/run for my weekend long run (Galloway method). It really made a difference. It was one of the coolest things in my life training for the HM. At some point, I was running the furthest distance I had ever done in my life. With the run/walk/run method I always felt I could have kept going but I held myself to the plan. That can be tough to do.

2013-01-03 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
thor67 - 2013-01-03 8:22 AM

Nice job of getting out there, getting it done, and kicking a little butt along the way!  

I'd be up for a 30/30 challenge but I want to be able to add yoga to the S/B/R workouts...  In year number 2 - it's all about being happy and healthy...  Let me know if that flies with you and anyone else who wants to join...

2013-01-03 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4560054

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-01-03 10:56 AM

Nice job of getting out there, getting it done, and kicking a little butt along the way!  

I'd be up for a 30/30 challenge but I want to be able to add yoga to the S/B/R workouts...  In year number 2 - it's all about being happy and healthy...  Let me know if that flies with you and anyone else who wants to join...

As long as you don't post any pictures, I am fine with it! Smile

2013-01-03 12:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

I'm in for 30 in 30.

Bonus for eating clean (no processed foods)?

2013-01-03 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4560060

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
thor67 - 2013-01-03 11:00 AM

I'm in.  Can walking on rest days count for a workout? or perhaps strength training?

2013-01-03 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
30/30 sounds fun!  I'm in.

2013-01-03 2:28 PM
in reply to: #4560068

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
bobddsmd - 2013-01-03 11:07 AM

I'm in for 30 in 30.

Bonus for eating clean (no processed foods)?

Sorry, you only get a bonus for drinking 6 different beers in one sitting...Laughing

2013-01-03 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4560109

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
jlangene - 2013-01-03 11:24 AM
thor67 - 2013-01-03 11:00 AM

I'm in.  Can walking on rest days count for a workout? or perhaps strength training?

Yeah, that works as long as you log it. 

This is just a little something to kickstart the year off! Plus our leader has kindly offered to send all the participants who complete this on a all expenses paid trip to Maui in February...Just kidding David! I will buy a beer for anyone who comes to Edmonton, AB!Smile

2013-01-03 2:57 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary

what does running 70 miles a week get you?

So I ran 70 miles a week for 7 weeks straight to get my stupid mileage goal for last year. That is about 15 miles a week more than I averaged up to that point. I did 2 solid interval sessions in the first two weeks and attempted 2 or 3 tempo runs which I failed at. For the last 5 weeks all I did was run. And run slow. Some runs were okay, about a 6:20 min pace for a 20k run or maybe a 5:40 for a 10k, but most were slower, like a 7:00 min pace for a 20k (that is 2 hours and 20 min for that run which is a long mother loving time). A lot of hour and 45 minute 16kms.

So this is slow stuff I am doing here, even for me.

So today I went out and killed it. 4 X 10 min tempo intervals with a 2 minute walk/jog break all done at 4:30/km. Hell yeah I did. I can’t believe it. After all that slow drudgery dragging my butt I thought I would never run fast again. Hot dang it. It wasn’t easy but it wasn’t super hard either. I am excited.
2013-01-03 4:07 PM
in reply to: #4559458

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
bobddsmd - 2013-01-03 7:51 AM

no beer.

Looking forward to hearingabout the bike!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97