Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-07-10 8:07 PM
in reply to: Super Clydesdale

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open

Originally posted by Super Clydesdale Rebecca-- might see you at this weekend event. I am doing the sprint version on Sat of your OLY event in VA. Training has been going well, but this being my first open water swim has me a little nervous. I will let you know my thoughts of the pieces of the course I am doing.

Excellent! I won't actually be there on Saturday, but good luck! My husband did this race. His swim is weaker than mine, and he had no problem. My training buddy swam there 2 weeks ago and she said it was nice and flat, no current. But all bets are off for race morning; never can tell what with tide and all. Can't wait to hear your race report!

2013-07-10 8:14 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by Fresno_Joe So I swam this morning and was going to bike at lunch today and when I got outside all motivation left me because I'm so sick of working out in triple digits.  So I said ef it and I just had a relaxing lunch.  And a small piece of cake that someone in my office baked because lay off me I like cake. Innocent

Mmmmmm.... cake....

2013-07-10 9:16 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Here are the July stats so far as of this afternoon:

SwimBikeRunTotal Time 
TRIal_of_miles12050190.9--19:00:40 
strykergt5056 60.64 46.9218:44:37 
miche033 710062.9615.6511:27:31 
Fresno_Joe390080.1125.75 11:01:16 
SuperClydesdale 2581.06 81.73 17.329:58:26 
wenceslasz 6452.32 85.63 10.84 9:55:17 
iLOVEwaffles2720.30 99.00 25.00 8:10:30 
ransick----41.60 7:01:06 
oriolepwr -- 20.0027.856:28:40 
mbehr19836668.7243.956.315:36:49 
knighton3354.0937.7611.915:14:03 
PsyTri415027.65.684:23:03 
DaDooRunRun--29.116.243:58:26 
Sarah731800--16.303:08:14 
Ybeal260017.51--2:11:43 
lesandtj--26.74--1:56:39 

I did not include those who had no logging for this month yet.

TRIal_of_miles and strykergt you guys are insane.

I have to hit strong on my training i wont be able to make it on Hotter than Hell 100 century ride on August since wifey is going on minor surgery instead next week I have a century ride all flat though but it will be on high 90s starts at 6:30 am, I need to go to this centuries for my IM relay. I am targeting an Oly on September and hopefully a HIM on November. I am running so much to prepare for Full Marathon on 1XOct/1XNov/2XJan.

2013-07-10 11:28 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Rebecca - It's hard to tell by the map but your course looks pretty nice. Rural? The course description was interesting and it sounds like the swim will be pretty warm. Have you had a chance to swim there yet? I'd be curious to try it.

The bike profile looks like there are some rolling hills which should keep it interesting. Plus the description mentions false flats which can be a nuisance. If they aren't big hills you should be able to push on the downhills for some fun. In my ride on Sunday I was pleased to find I rode almost 10% faster than in my training rides and I think it was just the increased excitement of the event. I just have to figure out how to strike a balance between going as fast as I can and not burning out my legs before the run.

If I can take it easy off the bike and work into the running then I should be okay. Your run route description sounds very flat which should be a good thing especially if it is fairly shade covered as well.

Your Oly is nicely timed to be a good rehearsal for your HIM. Have fun on Sunday and let us know how it goes.

Don't worry about working out multiple times a day. It will all be over soon enough and then things can somewhat get back to normal for a while.

My workout buddy asked me today, "Which IM are you doing next year?" I can't imagine doing a full IM. The time commitment is just too great. Then again I would like to do Challenge Penticton (Iron distance) or IMCdA. Although, I understand the water is cold there (even colder than IMAZ).

2013-07-10 11:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by Super Clydesdale

Rebecca-- might see you at this weekend event. I am doing the sprint version on Sat of your OLY event in VA. Training has been going well, but this being my first open water swim has me a little nervous. I will let you know my thoughts of the pieces of the course I am doing.

Good luck in your event on Saturday. Get in the water before the start and get comfortable and swim a bit. Don't put pressure on yourself to be fast just go easy and have fun.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.
2013-07-10 11:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by miche033

Originally posted by Fresno_Joe So I swam this morning and was going to bike at lunch today and when I got outside all motivation left me because I'm so sick of working out in triple digits.  So I said ef it and I just had a relaxing lunch.  And a small piece of cake that someone in my office baked because lay off me I like cake. Innocent

Mmmmmm.... cake....

I was just thinking that too! And, sometimes I can't resist a Slurpee from 7/11.

2013-07-11 1:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Guys/Gals

I need advice on swimming drills.

I am sure all of you believe that in swimming is the part of the TRI where you use most of your upper body strength. What do you guys
think of using "hand paddles and pull buoy" in increasing upper body strength??

Currently my swim instructor is working on my kicking, thats why I am beating my kickboard so bad. I figured upper body strength should also be isolated and practice arms strokes.Just to let you all guys know I went ahead and used the snorkel only on drills that does not involve breathing like streamline and kickboard, during Freestyle laps wont even think about it.

Let me know guys what you all guys think.

Thanks

Carlo

Edited by strykergt 2013-07-11 3:27 AM
2013-07-11 1:58 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by strykergt  What do you guys think of using "hand paddles and pull buoy" in increasing upper body strength?? Currently my swim instructor is working on my kicking, thats why I am beating my kickboard so bad. I figured upper body strength should also be isolated and practice arms strokes.

Hey Carlo-

I do hand paddles/pull buoy probably every 2 to 3 swim workouts, or once a week. Not only does it build strength, but it should also help you with positioning in the water, rotation, and efficient strokes. Go for it!

I hate kicking. Why am I SO SLOW kicking? Don't ask me about that. Embarassed

Cheers~

2013-07-11 3:01 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by miche033

Originally posted by strykergt  What do you guys think of using "hand paddles and pull buoy" in increasing upper body strength?? Currently my swim instructor is working on my kicking, thats why I am beating my kickboard so bad. I figured upper body strength should also be isolated and practice arms strokes.

Hey Carlo-

I do hand paddles/pull buoy probably every 2 to 3 swim workouts, or once a week. Not only does it build strength, but it should also help you with positioning in the water, rotation, and efficient strokes. Go for it!

I hate kicking. Why am I SO SLOW kicking? Don't ask me about that. Embarassed

Cheers~

Thanks Rebecca
2013-07-11 4:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by strykergt Guys/Gals I need advice on swimming drills. I am sure all of you believe that in swimming is the part of the TRI where you use most of your upper body strength. What do you guys think of using "hand paddles and pull buoy" in increasing upper body strength?? Currently my swim instructor is working on my kicking, thats why I am beating my kickboard so bad. I figured upper body strength should also be isolated and practice arms strokes.Just to let you all guys know I went ahead and used the snorkel only on drills that does not involve breathing like streamline and kickboard, during Freestyle laps wont even think about it. Let me know guys what you all guys think. Thanks Carlo
I think there is some debate out there about this, but as far as I'm concerned you can't use enough paddles and buoy.  Kicking is good to work on because right now you need to learn to just balance and swim efficiently, but ultimately you don't really kick during a triathlon swim.  A small flutter kick at best.

I've even read articles from coaches that have their triathletes swim during training almost solely with the paddles and pull buoys.  These coaches say that when their triathletes go into open water swims they may look terribly inefficient but dammit they go fast and they feel fine afterwards ("terribly inefficient" is probably an exageration but relative to actual good swimmers it's probably true).  Still, this is only advisable once you've actually learned at least the basics of swimming technique.

2013-07-13 4:26 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by strykergt

Guys/Gals

I am sure all of you believe that in swimming is the part of the TRI where you use most of your upper body strength. What do you guys

Currently my swim instructor is working on my kicking, thats why I am beating my kickboard so bad. I figured upper body strength should also be isolated and practice arms strokes.Just to let you all guys know I went ahead and used the snorkel only on drills that does not involve breathing like streamline and kickboard, during Freestyle laps wont even think about it.

Thanks

Carlo

Here are YouTube links to a couple drills I like. Lots of versions on you tube if you don't like these.

Shark fin drill
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4w-_vc0I-wk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3...

Zipper drill
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4U4gCxJFoso&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3...

Catch up drill
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fszey7mJSb4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3...

One arm drill (I do this one with one arm extended instead of at my side)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=80-7b9Io95w&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3...

Have fun!

Mike

2013-07-14 12:05 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by ransick

Originally posted by strykergt

Guys/Gals

Thanks

Carlo

Here are YouTube links to a couple drills I like. Lots of versions on you tube if you don't like these.

Shark fin drill
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4w-_vc0I-wk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3...

Zipper drill
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4U4gCxJFoso&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3...

Catch up drill
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fszey7mJSb4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3...

One arm drill (I do this one with one arm extended instead of at my side)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=80-7b9Io95w&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3...

Have fun!

Mike

thanks mike i like all of them i am already doing the zipper,catch and sharkfin i find the arm drill needs a little bit. getting use to.
thanks again.
2013-07-14 10:08 PM

User image

Here is the link to my log of the event. I will do a more descriptive narrative of the group tomorrow night.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2013-07-14 10:20 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Here is the link to my log of the event. I will do a more descriptive narrative of the group tomorrow night.

Goodjob!!!! 20 mph on the bike thats good!!! 10 min/per mile running pace. Bro your doing great !!!!!!!

want to request a detailed tale of everything

Edited by strykergt 2013-07-14 10:22 PM
2013-07-14 11:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Congratulations on your Sprint. I'd like to be as fast as your bike and run were. Keep it up.
2013-07-15 7:33 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Regular
Baltimore, maryland
Hi all

After reading through a couple of mentor groups, I find that I enjoyed reading the posts here the most. They are friendly, encouraging, and informative.
I know it is late in the season, but I am really looking to ramp up my training over this winter and wanted to join a group for encouragement purposes.

Am I able to join this group?
Will any of you train and stay active on the boards through the winter?

I will put up a bio once you guys let me know.

Thanks,
Rick

2013-07-15 7:34 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Regular
Baltimore, maryland
Hi all

After reading through a couple of mentor groups, I find that I enjoyed reading the posts here the most. They are friendly, encouraging, and informative.
I know it is late in the season, but I am really looking to ramp up my training over this winter and wanted to join a group for encouragement purposes.

Thanks,
Rick
2013-07-15 7:53 AM
in reply to: Tri Rick Tri

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Originally posted by Tri Rick Tri

Hi all

Thanks,
Rick

Hi Rick...of course you're welcome to join our group! We'd be happy to have you! I am doing an IM in Cozumel on 12/1/13, so I will be around, training, and relying on everyone here for support! Are you training for anything in particular?
Sarah
2013-07-15 7:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Great job!! That bike split was awesome!!
2013-07-15 11:07 AM
in reply to: Sarah73

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Race report posted here

More later...

2013-07-15 11:10 AM

User image

Regular
Baltimore, maryland
NAME: Rick

STORY: Three years ago I got into triathlons. I completed two sprints. I really enjoyed them but found it tough to find time to train because I was involved in some other sports. I did OK, but I never really dedicated my training.
Since 2010, I have done nothing but a few fun 5Ks. This is due to laziness, two surgeries, and having a child (wife did the HAVING part). So, here it is 2013 and I am a slug! I am looking to regain the fitness I had and then look at completing longer races. Only time will tell.

FAMILY STATUS: Married (6 years) with a daughter (18 months).

CURRENT TRAINING: NOTHING. But starting now, I will be training 6 times per week (2 Run, 2 Bike, 2 Swim) following a modified Iron Fit program. I am doing this program to build a base going into the winter and then train mostly indoors over the winter months.

2013 RACES: Osprey Sprint Tri (Oct)
This will be the only race I will do this year, and I am only doing it for fun. My training will be directed at building mileage, but I thought a sprint would be fun.

2014 RACES: Still TBD!
I am thinking I would like to complete a HIM or maybe even an IM late in 2014. I really want to train hard for the rest of 2013 and then set some challenging but reasonable goals.

WEIGHTLOSS: Not too worried about it. I have a little to lose, but the training will take care of it.

That about sums it up! Let me know if I missed anything.

Rick

Edited by Tri Rick Tri 2013-07-29 1:01 PM

2013-07-15 11:33 AM

New user

Great job, looks like a solid performance and the pictures you posted look great.

Did an 85k ride on Saturday (Where we were going was ~100k, but the last stretch was on a busy road that had no shoulder due to construction so we packed it in, unfortunately there weren't any alternate roads). It was hot with lots of rollers where we slowly gained elevation, so it was a tough day in the saddle but overall a great training ride, definitely looking forward to being handed bottles rather than having a camelback!
2013-07-15 12:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by Super Clydesdale Here is the link to my log of the event. I will do a more descriptive narrative of the group tomorrow night. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Nice race! Amazing bike split! How was the water on Saturday? We had some big swells on Sunday...

2013-07-15 12:55 PM
in reply to: Tri Rick Tri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by Tri Rick Tri NAME: Rick STORY: Three years ago I got into triathlons. I completed a few sprints and an Oly. I really enjoyed them but found it tough to find time to train because I was involved in some other sports. I did OK, but I never really dedicated my training. Since 2010, I have done nothing but a few fun 5Ks. This is due to laziness, two surgeries, and having a child (wife did the HAVING part). So, here it is 2013 and I am a slug! I am looking to regain the fitness I had and then look at completing longer races. Only time will tell. FAMILY STATUS: Married (6 years) with a daughter (18 months). CURRENT TRAINING: NOTHING. But starting now, I will be training 6 times per week (2 Run, 2 Bike, 2 Swim) following a modified Iron Fit program. I am doing this program to build a base going into the winter and then train mostly indoors over the winter months. 2013 RACES: Osprey Sprint Tri (Oct) This will be the only race I will do this year, and I am only doing it for fun. My training will be directed at building mileage, but I thought a sprint would be fun. 2014 RACES: Still TBD! I am thinking I would like to complete a HIM or maybe even an IM late in 2014. I really want to train hard for the rest of 2013 and then set some challenging but reasonable goals. WEIGHTLOSS: Not too worried about it. I have a little to lose, but the training will take care of it. That about sums it up! Let me know if I missed anything. Rick

Welcome Rick! Sounds like some good well thought-out goals. I also have a baby about the same age. (And a 4 yr old.) It makes it challenging to fit in the training. Good luck!

2013-07-15 8:50 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Awesome job! I wear my tri top when I swim. It fits pretty tight so I don't think it slows me down too much.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41