General Discussion Race Reports! » YMCA Colonial Beach International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

YMCA Colonial Beach International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Colonial Beach, Virginia
United States
Set Up Events
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 32m 33s
Overall Rank = 72/84
Age Group = athena
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:45 to feed the baby. Took food in car - a 1+ hr drive. Had bagel with butter, Luna bar, tea, water. Had banana about 20 min before start of swim. Got to site, got everything set up, used port-o-potty, said hi to Kristen (enders_shadow). Messed with bike some. I took off my extra water bottle cages.

Event warmup:

Headed down to the shore. It's a gravelly beach. River is wide, but you can see the other side. The water had swells. I only managed to swim out a few yards and back in a few yards. Did not notice any current.

Announcer was saying athenas were in wave 4, but I was told and had a cap from wave 6. I asked the announcer, and he said just go in wave 4. It turns out my time on the website is calculated from wave 6, so my time on the website is fast by 6 min. Lame.

Swim
  • 44m 12s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

I thoroughly enjoyed this swim and felt strong. That said, my time was pretty bad. (Although my rank was best... hm...) There was some current and the longest stretch was against the current. I only really noticed the current when it was a cross current coming into shore, though.

I think I enjoyed it too much and just sort of floated along. The swells were very soothing. The second half or so, I made more of an effort to speed things up. I started wide, and didn't encounter anyone the first leg. Ran into people at the buoy and on the back/longest leg. Occasionally ended up swimming next to someone where we had differing opinions on direction. That was annoying. I think my sighting was mostly decent. At least I didn't have trouble seeing. I did almost no breaststroke. I breathed mostly bilaterally.

What would you do differently?:

Apparently I lost the race during the swim (to my one other Athena competitor.) That's a bummer. I would have tried harder if I had known. (Although it's possible her time is wrong too.)

Funny thing - usually my form goes bad because I'm freaking out in the water. Didn't freak out this time, but I think my form was still bad, and my effort was terrible. SO, I think I need to focus more on my stroke and moving water. I get distracted in OW and lose form. I could have worked quite a bit harder, too. (I'm only the tiniest bit sore in my triceps day after.)

Transition 1
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

Gravelly beach was not fun but short. Nice not to have to put on a shirt for once!! I think my time is not shorter because there is a long run from transition to bike mount. Just before the bike mount, I saw my hubby and boys cheering for me, which was great. Except I started to mount the bike on the street, and not 5 yds down, so the volunteers started yelling at me. Lost a few seconds there.

Pay attention to where to mount the bike.

Bike
  • 1h 26m 19s
  • 23.86 miles
  • 16.59 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was nice. Took it fairly easy at first. Picked up the pace on the second half. My cadence sensor has been acting weird, so I put my compu on time instead. On the second half there were some cars stuck behind bikes. One car passed me, then got stuck, and I actually passed the car back, haha. Got passed by a guy on a hybrid, so I had to work to pass him back. Had a few hill buddies (they passed me going up, I passed them going down.) Hills were not bad.

I had frozen my water bottles: 1 water, the other gatorade/TRS. They were still partially frozen for this ride, however, it was not all that hot yet, so I didn't need all the liquid.

I ate 2/3rds of a Clif bar at 15 min, and then did a Gu at 45 min. I had another gel, but I couldn't bring myself to take it. I felt full and I was worried about the run.

Need to work on nutrition for going into the run...
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Legs felt very jello-y getting off the bike. Again, longish run into transition. Grabbed a gel and a handkerchief and got going. Saw my boys again. :)

Maybe look for the run exit before the race. Someone had to tell me where it was.

Run
  • 1h 16m 34s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out with wobbly legs. Knew it would pass. Also got an abdominal cramp pretty quickly. Told myself it was normal; it would pass. I saw on the first out-and-back spur that another athena was a little ahead of me. So I worked on passing her. (But she's not in the race results, which is weird.) Was happy to see first mile was under 12 min. Tried to keep that pace. The 3rd mile had 2 water stops, and for each stop I got two cups water and an ice cold cloth (those were nice!). It was getting hot, although there was occasional cloud or tree cover. The cramp didn't bother me too much, got better, moved, and mostly went away. I did have some time in the middle where I was starting to feel like I needed a port-o-potty, but didn't recall if there were any on the course. Was kicking myself for not looking more at the map pre-race. But in the end it was just gas. I had 1 gel with me, but was really afraid of eating anything, so I stuck to water. Felt good w/respect to hydration and temp. After mile 3, I tried to pick up the pace. Was able to a little bit. Oh, and my legs, hamstrings especially were really tight and threatening to cramp most of the run. They were tight on the bike, too, come to think of it.

Need to figure out nutrition.

Post race
Warm down:

My boys cheered me to the finish line. Leaned against a post. Volunteer quizzed me on heat stroke symptoms. Said, no, I'm just tired. Looked for a place in the shade to sit. Hubby got me water. I got a banana and muffin. 4 yr old promptly stole the muffin. We hung out in the shade and ate. Then I wanted to go back to the finish to cheer in Kristen. Hubby helped me stand up. Ugh! Then the kids insisted on going to the playground. I listened to the awards, but they skipped athena and then they got it all wrong in the end anyway. Oh well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition/stomach. Tight muscles? Being in la-la land on the swim.

Event comments:

VTS always does a decent job. However, they had some issues with communicating waves and then with printing results. So there were some annoying snafus.

Last updated: 2013-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:12 | 1640 yards | 02m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 57/84
Performance: Below average
Suit: LG shirt, Danskin bra, X2U shorts
Course: long rectangle, long side parallel with shore
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:26:19 | 23.86 miles | 16.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 64/84
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: out and back. flat at start and end, rolling in middle. Course is under 24 miles. My bike compu said 23.86.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:16:34 | 06.21 miles | 12m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 74/84
Performance: Average
mile 1 - 11:44 mile 2 - 11:52 mile 3 - 13:00 mile 4 - 12:31 mile 5 - 12:35 mile 6 - 12:23 the 0.2 - 2:25
Course: out and around and back. flat. nice views of water.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-15 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Subject: YMCA Colonial Beach International Triathlon

2013-07-15 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4804336

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: YMCA Colonial Beach International Triathlon
Regardless of the snafus, you had a great race! Plus the swim was hard - Matt heard people talking about it...most people said it added 10 minutes or so to their usual swim time. You did awesome! (The waves did not lull me - just made me seasick!)

There were so many weird letters on peoples' legs, I couldn't figure out much - there was a woman in front of me who looked like she might be an athena, but then she didn't show up in the results either.
2013-07-15 1:00 PM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by enders_shadow Regardless of the snafus, you had a great race! Plus the swim was hard - Matt heard people talking about it...most people said it added 10 minutes or so to their usual swim time. You did awesome! (The waves did not lull me - just made me seasick!) There were so many weird letters on peoples' legs, I couldn't figure out much - there was a woman in front of me who looked like she might be an athena, but then she didn't show up in the results either.

You're right, there were a lot of weird letters on people's legs. What was that? The markers never know to put an A for athena unless I tell them, so I think they miss some too... The one in front of you is probably the one I passed. 

2013-07-15 6:55 PM
in reply to: #4804336

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Miche - Nice race report and decent times. I think they do look good as a rehearsal for your HIM. Really nice you had your family there to cheer you on and the best part was your son stealing your muffin - priceless! I'm really glad it went well for you.

I'm a bit worried about my own nutrition plan for the HIM. You're right it is really important to get it right.
2013-07-16 10:59 AM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Great job out there!!  Sounds like the swim was really tough and you made it through. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » YMCA Colonial Beach International Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

YMCA Colonial Beach International Triathlon

Started by kdw1515
Views: 1345 Posts: 2

2012-07-18 5:49 AM shelly123

Started by dmiller5
Views: 1177 Posts: 1

2012-07-15 4:05 PM dmiller5

Started by AshkaSiberians
Views: 1052 Posts: 1

2011-09-12 9:11 AM AshkaSiberians

Started by JeffK
Views: 1426 Posts: 2

2011-07-13 8:27 AM kbeddoes

Started by kbeddoes
Views: 1206 Posts: 1

2011-07-10 10:03 PM kbeddoes
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : July 1, 2009
author : Wooden Bell
comments : 8
A look back at my first triathlon at Parlee Beach.

date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.
date : November 19, 2007
author : mpk
I went down to the beach the day before to scout out the course, and it was glorious...the sun was out, the sea was as smooth as glass, and only a hint of a breeze was blowing. “Perfect,” I thought.

date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on low carbohydrate diets in conjuntion with triathlon training.