BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 168

2009-08-21 7:37 AM
in reply to: #1863539

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Girl Passing on Left (FULL)
<---- sneaks in very quietly and says "hello, everyone. Long time, no see..."

2009-08-21 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2360466

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-20 12:28 PM

Curious ~~ how many usually show up for your group run? is this thru a running club?

There are just over 100 in the half marathon group and about 30 in my pace group (that would be the slow group ... just ahead of the walkers!), I'm not sure how many in the marathon group.  My guess is that the numbers may dwindle some (I think we had about 20 last week).  The group is Woodlands Fit which is associated with USA Fit.  I've never run with a group before, but it's fun to meet up with the group on a different course then I'd be doing otherwise. The HM coach is great and is also a yoga instructor, so after our Saturday runs we stretch and do some yoga, before our weekly seminars.  The group is to help prepare you for the Houston Marathon/Half in January.  Unfortunately. it filled up in less than 24 hours so many of us didn't get signed up.  I was already planning on doing the St. Jude's Half in Memphis in December and signed up for the USA Fit Half in Houston in January. Just hoping the group will make my "running" a little stronger.
2009-08-21 7:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Nicole, sorry that you are feeling so disappointed. I agree with everything that Julee and Cheri told you, which obviously is easier for us to say than for you to do at this point. Go back and take a look at some of your pictures from this season, with that big smile on your face, so you can remember how much you have accomplished! 
2009-08-21 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2361824

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Offthegrid - 2009-08-21 5:37 AM <---- sneaks in very quietly and says "hello, everyone. Long time, no see..."

soooooooooo good to hear from you! hope you are doing well! we miss you! but understand life pulls us in all directions...come back when you can! hope that you are still doing some training...if not for your body for your mind! hugs girl!!!!

2009-08-21 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2361828

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

lufferly - 2009-08-21 5:39 AM
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-20 12:28 PM

Curious ~~ how many usually show up for your group run? is this thru a running club?

There are just over 100 in the half marathon group and about 30 in my pace group (that would be the slow group ... just ahead of the walkers!), I'm not sure how many in the marathon group.  My guess is that the numbers may dwindle some (I think we had about 20 last week).  The group is Woodlands Fit which is associated with USA Fit.  I've never run with a group before, but it's fun to meet up with the group on a different course then I'd be doing otherwise. The HM coach is great and is also a yoga instructor, so after our Saturday runs we stretch and do some yoga, before our weekly seminars.  The group is to help prepare you for the Houston Marathon/Half in January.  Unfortunately. it filled up in less than 24 hours so many of us didn't get signed up.  I was already planning on doing the St. Jude's Half in Memphis in December and signed up for the USA Fit Half in Houston in January. Just hoping the group will make my "running" a little stronger.

wow....it filled in 20 minutes! thats pretty durn fast! I worked the full Houston (used to be call Houston Tenneco) marathon finish line a few times back int the mid 80's....was quite motivational..and I think that is when I started running!
I need to find a group here....not sure I could talk and run...even though I do seem to blurt out a few songs when I have my ipod on.....hoping noone is near by to hear my OUT of toon voice! I may be in Houston on my way home from Cozumel in December...might stay a month or so with my parents since it is my off time....but it is also xmas and not sure Im williing to be away from my dh for the holidays....

so hows the weather today...a little cooler from the rains? and hoping it cleared all the smog and stuff away.....have a great weekend and fun run with your group.....

2009-08-21 5:20 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Iron Girl is Sunday and I've got to refind my energy, excitement, and motivation!!!

I'm meeting the team tomorrow at packet pickup at 10:30am and after we get through that and the expo we're going off to lunch together. I already know Regina, my biker, but neither one of us knows Jenny, our runner. We'll finally have a chance to meet and to talk about the race.

Remind me never to agree to do a relay for a triathlon where I want to do the whole thing myself!

2009-08-22 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2363377

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-08-21 3:20 PM Iron Girl is Sunday and I've got to refind my energy, excitement, and motivation!!!

I'm meeting the team tomorrow at packet pickup at 10:30am and after we get through that and the expo we're going off to lunch together. I already know Regina, my biker, but neither one of us knows Jenny, our runner. We'll finally have a chance to meet and to talk about the race.

Remind me never to agree to do a relay for a triathlon where I want to do the whole thing myself!

have fun.....how far do you have to swim??? 2.1?

2009-08-22 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2364065

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-22 1:31 PM

MDHillSlug - 2009-08-21 3:20 PM Iron Girl is Sunday and I've got to refind my energy, excitement, and motivation!!!

have fun.....how far do you have to swim??? 2.1?

Noooo! Only 1000m. It's Iron Girl, not Iron Man. 1000m lake swim, 17.5 mi hilly ride, 3.3 mi hilly run.
2009-08-22 3:12 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Done the packet pickup (been "bagged and tagged"), met my runner, walked the expo (bought a few things), had lunch with my team, went to the park for bike racking, and walked everyone through transition, etc. We're all trying to get to the park at 6 and will meet at the bike after body marking. Then, we get to wait until 8:25 when I hit the water.

OK, I'm getting excited and nervous...I guess that's a good thing

Edited by MDHillSlug 2009-08-22 3:39 PM
2009-08-23 8:49 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Relay is different!

It was my first time doing a tri as a relay (I was the swimmer). I did the full tri two years ago (the first tri I signed up for) so today I was hoping to better my swim time by 4 minutes and come in under 23 minutes. Before I was even half way through the swim I felt me cap coming off and soon afterwards it was off and I felt it on my back; I grabbed it and stuffed it into my shorts and continued swimming but was wondering if I could be disqualified for swimming without a cap. Without the cap my hair kept getting into my face, making it vary hard to sight. I forgot to start my watch but when I came out of the water it felt like I had been swimming forever. I put a full sprint running from the water to TA, handed off the chip and sent Regina out on the bike. We had practiced the ride a few weeks ago and did a 1:02:++ for we were hoping she could come in under an hour.

At this point we started trying to figure out my swim time and I was dismayed to think that I might have taken nearly 30 minutes. Officially I went 27:48. Talking to people later, everyone was unhappy with their swim times and consensus is that the course was about 200m long. With all the GPS technology available I don't understand why it's so hard to set up a fairly accurate swim course!

I killed most of an hour at my tri club tent and then headed back to TA to wait for Regina to come it. Wouldn't you know it but there she was right on 1 hour (1:00:14). We did the next chip transfer and sent Jenny off on the run.

Jenny thought she could do the run in 33:00 but was hoping for 30:00. After hanging out again for a while I went down to the run finish around 28:00 and waited for her to come. WHen we passed 34:00 and she still wasn't in I knew she was going to be disappointed. She ended up finishing in 37:23. She had never seen or run the course and underestimated the hills. Still, she now hooked and wants to do the whole race next year

So, with transitions we finished at 2:08:36 which was good for 14 out of 56 in the relays. Not too bad.

It was fun to have teammates to root for, but I didn't enjoy all the waiting involved with being a relay team. Beside the waiting for each member, the relay teams started in the last wave, more than an hour and a half after the first waves went off. There were people finishing before we had even hit the water!

The team: Jenny, Regina, and me:

Waiting to hit the water:

Me finishing up the swim, sighting, and looking like a drowned rat:

Me sprinting my fastest to TA:

Regina on the bike (in middle):

Regina coming into TA, all smiles:

Passing the chip to Jenny:

Jenny coming down the chute:

The Iron Girls (one third each):
2009-08-23 10:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Nicole, congrats on your race ... loved the pictures. The water looks so pretty. How is your foot holding up?

I didn't realize Helen was racing AGAIN this weekend, but she posted on FB that she brought home some hardware ... so, congrats to Helen.

Dan, hoping that your race also went well!

2009-08-24 1:35 AM
in reply to: #2365581

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-08-23 6:49 PM Relay is different!

It was my first time doing a tri as a relay (I was the swimmer). I did the full tri two years ago (the first tri I signed up for) so today I was hoping to better my swim time by 4 minutes and come in under 23 minutes. Before I was even half way through the swim I felt me cap coming off and soon afterwards it was off and I felt it on my back; I grabbed it and stuffed it into my shorts and continued swimming but was wondering if I could be disqualified for swimming without a cap. Without the cap my hair kept getting into my face, making it vary hard to sight. I forgot to start my watch but when I came out of the water it felt like I had been swimming forever. I put a full sprint running from the water to TA, handed off the chip and sent Regina out on the bike. We had practiced the ride a few weeks ago and did a 1:02:++ for we were hoping she could come in under an hour.

At this point we started trying to figure out my swim time and I was dismayed to think that I might have taken nearly 30 minutes. Officially I went 27:48. Talking to people later, everyone was unhappy with their swim times and consensus is that the course was about 200m long. With all the GPS technology available I don't understand why it's so hard to set up a fairly accurate swim course!

I killed most of an hour at my tri club tent and then headed back to TA to wait for Regina to come it. Wouldn't you know it but there she was right on 1 hour (1:00:14). We did the next chip transfer and sent Jenny off on the run.

Jenny thought she could do the run in 33:00 but was hoping for 30:00. After hanging out again for a while I went down to the run finish around 28:00 and waited for her to come. WHen we passed 34:00 and she still wasn't in I knew she was going to be disappointed. She ended up finishing in 37:23. She had never seen or run the course and underestimated the hills. Still, she now hooked and wants to do the whole race next year

So, with transitions we finished at 2:08:36 which was good for 14 out of 56 in the relays. Not too bad.

It was fun to have teammates to root for, but I didn't enjoy all the waiting involved with being a relay team. Beside the waiting for each member, the relay teams started in the last wave, more than an hour and a half after the first waves went off. There were people finishing before we had even hit the water!

The team: Jenny, Regina, and me:

Waiting to hit the water:

Me finishing up the swim, sighting, and looking like a drowned rat:

Me sprinting my fastest to TA:

Regina on the bike (in middle):

Regina coming into TA, all smiles:

Passing the chip to Jenny:

Jenny coming down the chute:

The Iron Girls (one third each):

great pics...and report! great job 14th out of 56 is fabulous! and for never racing together even better then fabulous!

obtw...you see a drowned rat!!! I see some buff frickin arms coming out of that water! nice job Nicole...heal quickly!

2009-08-24 1:37 AM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

plus the picture of you marking your bikers legs....look at how the other teams are all sizing you guys up! they look scared dont they!!!!

2009-08-24 1:41 AM
in reply to: #2365692

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

lufferly - 2009-08-23 8:04 PM Nicole, congrats on your race ... loved the pictures. The water looks so pretty. How is your foot holding up?

I didn't realize Helen was racing AGAIN this weekend, but she posted on FB that she brought home some hardware ... so, congrats to Helen.

wow...thanks for the update....Helen where do you find the time!??? and hardware! YOU GO GIRL! and Dan cant wait to hear all about your first tri and how your wetsuit worked out for you.....oh and hopefully see some pics!

2009-08-24 1:49 AM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

I went to yosemite for my friends last benefit race...was a huge success....

rained all nite on us while we camped...totally bumming in the morning thinking we were going to have to call the race...just at noon when it was to start...the sun appeared and we had our race...I did not race because John showed up for this race and I wanted to spend the time hanging with him...and had nothing to prove...plus, Im not the daredevil I used to be! haha...I will be posting some pictures from the race on my training log tomorrow afternoon. we are getting close to getting a van...yippity doooo da! then it is Extreme makeover...here we come! cant think of anyone who deserves it more!!

BTW....I did not run on either day like planned...but did lots of running around helping....I know Im in BIG trouble!!! sorry coach! will run tomorrow! should it be a LSD or a tempo run? 

2009-08-24 7:50 AM
in reply to: #2365820

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-08-24 2:37 AM

plus the picture of you marking your bikers legs....look at how the other teams are all sizing you guys up! they look scared dont they!!!! ;)

That was actually me getting the chip moved from Regina to Jenny. I think they were watching our technique and obviously they were in awe ;)

All of the relay teams were racked in the same place, last rack row, farthest from the water (long run but easy to find). It was a big 'ole party back there! People had chairs set up against the fence behind us and everyone was hanging out waiting for their teammates to come in. When we saw Regina entering into TA I had to shout them all back to make room for her to get through.

2009-08-24 8:06 AM
in reply to: #2365692

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
lufferly - 2009-08-23 11:04 PM Nicole, congrats on your race ... loved the pictures. The water looks so pretty. How is your foot holding up?

The park and the lake are very pretty, but the water is a bit nasty. We like to say "it has a high organic content" due to all the water fowl that foul the water.

The race was hard on my feet. Between the run to TA and all the walking back and forth between the tri club tent/finish area and TA (probably a 1/4 mile and I did it many times) I was a hurting puppy. I iced them after we got home and again after dinner. It helps, but not enough.
2009-08-24 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2365988

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-08-24 6:06 AM
lufferly - 2009-08-23 11:04 PM Nicole, congrats on your race ... loved the pictures. The water looks so pretty. How is your foot holding up?

The park and the lake are very pretty, but the water is a bit nasty. We like to say "it has a high organic content" due to all the water fowl that foul the water.

The race was hard on my feet. Between the run to TA and all the walking back and forth between the tri club tent/finish area and TA (probably a 1/4 mile and I did it many times) I was a hurting puppy. I iced them after we got home and again after dinner. It helps, but not enough.

hope the feet are feeling a little better today...keep icing...elevaging and rest! nice job on your race....even in the foul fowl water!

2009-08-24 7:02 PM
in reply to: #2365821

Veteran

thanks gang for the well wishes. Had decided late in the week to participate in a local sprint race - overall was pleased with efforts. Came home with hardward- however AG was a super small division (hmmm what does she mean...)- anyway- nevertheless- I was glad as I pumped out some good effort.

Love the photos- they are great!! I need my daughters home to show me how to post some photos .

Keep working hard everyone!!!

-Helen

2009-08-24 7:02 PM
in reply to: #2365821

Veteran

thanks gang for the well wishes. Had decided late in the week to participate in a local sprint race - overall was pleased with efforts. Came home with hardward- however AG was a super small division (hmmm what does she mean...)- anyway- nevertheless- I was glad as I pumped out some good effort.

Love the photos- they are great!! I need my daughters home to show me how to post some photos .

-Helen

2009-08-24 9:39 PM
in reply to: #2367871

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

HelenR - 2009-08-24 5:02 PM

-Helen

thats awesome Helen! way to jump right in and come up with neckware! GOOD JOB! cant wait to see some pics of you in action!

2009-08-25 7:14 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Hi everyone. Just a quick note to let you know that I did successfully complete the Oly on Sunday. My total time was 3:00:11. I will share more gory details tomorrow and hopefully add a couple photos.

Dan
2009-08-25 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2368451

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

dcon - 2009-08-25 5:14 AM Hi everyone. Just a quick note to let you know that I did successfully complete the Oly on Sunday. My total time was 3:00:11. I will share more gory details tomorrow and hopefully add a couple photos. Dan

Congrats Dan! Knew you would do fine....cant wait for the pics and details....have a great day...are you working today? or recuping?

2009-08-25 10:00 AM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

today is  a lsd run for me...hoping to get to around 9 miles....then to go cool down in the pool with a few laps....

hope you are all having a great Tuesday...and it carries on thru the week.

2009-08-26 12:10 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Morning all! heading out for a short tempo run today and bike ride tonight. Hope you are all having a good day!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  

of 168