BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 168

2009-08-31 4:28 PM
in reply to: #2379752

User image

Veteran
British Columbia
Subject: RE: Girl Passing on Left (FULL)

Yes she did and she looked fabulous!  

I took a picture of her just before the finish line and will try to download it later today or tomorrow.  And I was so happy to get the opportunity to meet her the day before at the expo.

Yvonne...you can be very proud.  What a hot day you had.  Sitting on top of Richter Pass  it was 38 C!  And then having to deal with the smoke from the forest fires on the run.  Wow...what a day!

Again...congratulations girlfriend and well done!

Sledge - 2009-08-31 3:44 AM

Yvonne finished IM Canada yesterday!!!  She did good:

YVONNE CHOW

BIBAGESTATE/COUNTRYPROFESSION
237438CALGARY AB CANTEACHER

SWIMBIKERUNOVERALLRANKDIV.POS.
2:00:517:20:565:29:1615:04:192030 of 2595130 of 158
LEGDISTANCEPACERANKDIV.POS.
TOTAL SWIM2.4 mi. (2:00:51)3:10/100m2589157

FIRST BIKE SEGMENT42.5 mi. (2:34:17)16.53 mph
FINAL BIKE SEGMENT69.5 mi. (4:46:39)14.55 mph
TOTAL BIKE112 mi. (7:20:56)15.24 mph2370144

FIRST RUN SEGMENT13.1 mi. (2:46:25)12:42/mile
FINAL RUN SEGMENT13.1 mi. (2:42:51)12:25/mile
TOTAL RUN26.2 mi. (5:29:16)12:34/mile2030130

TRANSITIONTIME
T1: SWIM-TO-BIKE6:12
T2: BIKE-TO-RUN7:04

2009-09-01 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1863539

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

wow...Im sooo impressed! Yvonne you should be very proud of yourself for all your accomplishments! and to think you had never done a tri not long ago!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!! hope you got some pictures to share with us!!

2009-09-01 12:06 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

morning guys...cant believe we are into September already! heading out to do a 10 mile run...hope you are all having a great day and it continues on thru the week/month!

train well.

2009-09-01 11:26 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

only ran 5 miles...so guess that means tomorrow I will be out there running a long one!

have a great evening....nite all.

sweet dreams!

2009-09-02 6:35 AM
in reply to: #2384152

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-09-02 1:26 PM

only ran 5 miles...so guess that means tomorrow I will be out there running a long one!

have a great evening....nite all.

sweet dreams!

Hey Julie.  Well, you ran further than I did.  Good luck with the make up run tomorrow. 
2009-09-02 9:22 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
First PT: The therapist thinks the problem is with the Achilles. We only did ultra sound today. She really doesn't see me running 10k in less than 2 weeks and recommends against any attempt at running this weekend. I'm supposed to soak my feet in ice water once a day for 10 minutes. I go back on Friday and 2x next week.

I have no idea what I'll do about the tri.

2009-09-02 10:29 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
OK, I have figured out what I'm going to do about the tri. The way I figure it, after the Oly I'm done with running for the year so, I'm gonna try my damnedest to run the thing. Once the race is over I'll have 3.5 months to rehab before the start of next year. I don't see myself walking 10k so if I can't at least run 1/2 the thing I'll shut it down and take a DNF. Is this wise? I don't know, probably not, but I have to try.
2009-09-02 11:17 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB
Thanks for all your well wishes gang! It was a crazy journey and I thank you for your support through the year. I could not have done it without you!

I admit to being way overwhelmed at the start and shed some tears of fear but DH held my hand and walked me into the water as the horn blew and the swimmers took off. We walked in for a bit and then he checked that I was ready before heading out...gotta love my sweetie. The swim was long but it felt easy and relaxed. I can honestly say that I enjoyed this swim more than my first 500m swim in a pool during my first tri!

The bike was great as well- I wrote "Patience" on my hand and watched my HR carefully to stay in zone 2. Unfortunately the special needs area at 120K was when my stomach started churning and I had my last bit of food for the day. I felt well trained for the hills of the course and my only really low moment of the race was from 170-178K on the bike.

The run was what I was looking forward to but it was no surprise that with only 5 runs since May, it was going to be a tough one. I walked a good chunk of the first half and then found some strength to run most of the second half. The stomach was unsettled the whole time but I was pretty certain at that point that I could finish the race.

No words can express the joy and jubilation in that finishing chute. Again, I could not have done it without this amazing mentor group. So my sincere thanks to all of you!

It was so great to meet with Karen and her sister-in-law. As if there was ever a doubt, Karen is an amazing and gorgeous lady! Karen, do say congrats to Fay and your brother....it was great seeing Fay on the run course- she was kind enough to share some gum to help get rid of that furry mouth feeling after waaaaay too much gatorade.

Sadly DH bonked badly with 5K to go in the bike and ended up in the hospital with low blood sugar and low BP but after 2 IV's and some rest, I did see him as I headed out on my run and he filled me in. He is obviously disappointed but he will try again another year.

Dan, congrats on your triathlon! Love the photos!

Nicole, sorry to hear about your achilles- while I understand your desire to compete and save the healing for later, I have heard some awful stories about torn achilles and recovery there can take a lot longer. If you decide to go through with it, be sure that it is warmed up and you might also consider some physio taping. Or perhaps do the swim and bike for experience and then skip the run. Do take care of yourself though!

Helen, congrats on the HIM's! How many is that now?! You're awesome!

Cheri, thanks for your inspires and congrats on your all your races this season!

Julie, looks like your running mileage is coming up nicely. Guessing that it is a HM that you will be conquering in the fall.

Lisa, hope you are coping with the heat of Texas- there were a few texans at the race who were seemingly quite comfortable in the heat.

Looking forward to following you all through your fall races. Hugs and all the best to you! xo
2009-09-03 8:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
I feel shame !  so much for not being here......... looks like I have missed so much !
Truth is I blog for my rubber duckie swim group, I blog for my daughter, I blog for my own exercise etc and I am on facebook.......... so I have gone very lax here !  sheesh
I do miss so many of you and I figured I'd check in to say HI !
Who on here is on facebook ?  I mean beside the buddies I alraedy have ......... would love to add my bt buddies as well.
I swam tonight for the first time in aroudn 3 weeks, had a sinus infection and then was in florida for disney.  Glad to know my stamina was not down and I could sort of keep up.  Had to start running all over again too, so my 3.1  3 . sucked. ugh
anyway, I'll read up on all you've been doing here !
2009-09-03 8:17 PM
in reply to: #2388556

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
maxmansmom - 2009-09-03 9:11 PM I feel shame !  so much for not being here......... looks like I have missed so much !
Truth is I blog for my rubber duckie swim group, I blog for my daughter, I blog for my own exercise etc and I am on facebook.......... so I have gone very lax here !  sheesh
Who on here is on facebook ?  I mean beside the buddies I alraedy have ......... would love to add my bt buddies as well.
I swam tonight for the first time in aroudn 3 weeks, had a sinus infection and then was in florida for disney.  Glad to know my stamina was not down and I could sort of keep up.  Had to start running all over again too, so my 3.1  3 . sucked. ugh

It's great to hear from you when you get the chance. I followed your Disney adventure on FB.

I've just gotten over my own sinus infection. It was bad; I was afraid I had swine flu or something. I head to the pool tomorrow for the first time in 2 weeks, since before Iron Girl.
2009-09-05 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2384843

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
MDHillSlug - 2009-09-02 11:29 AM OK, I have figured out what I'm going to do about the tri. The way I figure it, after the Oly I'm done with running for the year so, I'm gonna try my damnedest to run the thing. Once the race is over I'll have 3.5 months to rehab before the start of next year. I don't see myself walking 10k so if I can't at least run 1/2 the thing I'll shut it down and take a DNF. Is this wise? I don't know, probably not, but I have to try.

In the last few days my emotions have mellowed out and my brain has kicked back in and now I think it most likely that once the ride is over and I've stopped the time on T2 I will call it a day and take the DNF

Edited by MDHillSlug 2009-09-05 1:00 PM

2009-09-06 3:55 AM
in reply to: #2391358

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
MDHillSlug - 2009-09-06 2:59 AM
MDHillSlug - 2009-09-02 11:29 AM OK, I have figured out what I'm going to do about the tri. The way I figure it, after the Oly I'm done with running for the year so, I'm gonna try my damnedest to run the thing. Once the race is over I'll have 3.5 months to rehab before the start of next year. I don't see myself walking 10k so if I can't at least run 1/2 the thing I'll shut it down and take a DNF. Is this wise? I don't know, probably not, but I have to try.

In the last few days my emotions have mellowed out and my brain has kicked back in and now I think it most likely that once the ride is over and I've stopped the time on T2 I will call it a day and take the DNF

I think you're making the right choice Nicole.   Knowing that you won't run will allow you to have more fun on the bike.

2009-09-06 5:25 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

MDHillSlug - 2009-09-05 12:59 PM

Smart woman!!... Even though you have time to rehab, there is no point in risking further injury.  Test yourself on the swim and bike, and leave the run for next year.

2009-09-06 9:21 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
I know in my brain that this is the best decision, but in my heart it is soooo not want I want to do! And I'm still left with the nagging thought that maybe my body will never allow me to do Oly's.
2009-09-06 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2392144

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB
MDHillSlug - 2009-09-06 8:21 AM I know in my brain that this is the best decision, but in my heart it is soooo not want I want to do! And I'm still left with the nagging thought that maybe my body will never allow me to do Oly's.

It is the absolutely right decision, Nicole! As Cheri said, enjoy the swim and ride! I will just add...leave your runners at home so there won't be the temptation!  Take care of that calf and the Oly's will be waiting for you next season.
2009-09-06 6:47 PM
in reply to: #2392443

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
run_yc_run - 2009-09-06 5:01 PM
MDHillSlug - 2009-09-06 8:21 AM I know in my brain that this is the best decision, but in my heart it is soooo not want I want to do! And I'm still left with the nagging thought that maybe my body will never allow me to do Oly's.

It is the absolutely right decision, Nicole! As Cheri said, enjoy the swim and ride! I will just add...leave your runners at home so there won't be the temptation!  Take care of that calf and the Oly's will be waiting for you next season.

I'd already thought of this. You know me too well!

2009-09-07 6:55 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

I hope everyone has had a fabulous Labor(less) Day weekend -- well, at least those of you in the U.S.  I found out something very exciting yesterday.  I was sitting on the beach with my Mom, and she passed an ALS pamphlet over to me.  For those of you who don't know what ALS is, it is also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.  And to me, it is the most horrible disease I've ever seen.  My Dad came down with ALS about six years ago, and nearly four years ago he died.  The disease strips the victim of their dignity.  They become totally dependent on their caregiver, which in this case was my Mother.  Anyway, I'm rambling... the point I'm trying to make is that the Florida ALS Association is putting together a bike ride to raise money for research!!!  Who would have thought??!!!  I am so there... and I am blessed with friends who will go with me and make this happen.  Oh happy day!!

2009-09-07 9:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Cheri, great news about the ALS ride and hopefully the funds it will bring in for more research ... such a crippling disease.

Nicole, sounds like you have a great plan ... you will be so ready next time around!

It is beginning to get ever so slightly cooler here ... highs only in the 90s the past couple of weeks with the mornings in the low to mid 70s.  Still very muggy, but I'm not complaining after the summer we had.  Amazing what a mild change in the weather will do for your heart rate on a run!

Hope everyone has a great week!
2009-09-08 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2384843

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-09-02 8:29 AM OK, I have figured out what I'm going to do about the tri. The way I figure it, after the Oly I'm done with running for the year so, I'm gonna try my damnedest to run the thing. Once the race is over I'll have 3.5 months to rehab before the start of next year. I don't see myself walking 10k so if I can't at least run 1/2 the thing I'll shut it down and take a DNF. Is this wise? I don't know, probably not, but I have to try.

there is no reason to injure yourself...you know and we know you can do this race and with great style when in good condition....I myself would not do it...or if I did I would walk not run. Be careful...3.5 months can be better used in therapy to make it stronger, no? sorry, I dont want to be a kill-joy...but also dont want to see you get hurt.

2009-09-08 12:51 PM
in reply to: #2386418

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

run_yc_run - 2009-09-02 9:17 PM Thanks for all your well wishes gang! It was a crazy journey and I thank you for your support through the year. I could not have done it without you!

I admit to being way overwhelmed at the start and shed some tears of fear but DH held my hand and walked me into the water as the horn blew and the swimmers took off. We walked in for a bit and then he checked that I was ready before heading out...gotta love my sweetie. The swim was long but it felt easy and relaxed. I can honestly say that I enjoyed this swim more than my first 500m swim in a pool during my first tri!

The bike was great as well- I wrote "Patience" on my hand and watched my HR carefully to stay in zone 2. Unfortunately the special needs area at 120K was when my stomach started churning and I had my last bit of food for the day. I felt well trained for the hills of the course and my only really low moment of the race was from 170-178K on the bike.

The run was what I was looking forward to but it was no surprise that with only 5 runs since May, it was going to be a tough one. I walked a good chunk of the first half and then found some strength to run most of the second half. The stomach was unsettled the whole time but I was pretty certain at that point that I could finish the race.

No words can express the joy and jubilation in that finishing chute. Again, I could not have done it without this amazing mentor group. So my sincere thanks to all of you!

It was so great to meet with Karen and her sister-in-law. As if there was ever a doubt, Karen is an amazing and gorgeous lady! Karen, do say congrats to Fay and your brother....it was great seeing Fay on the run course- she was kind enough to share some gum to help get rid of that furry mouth feeling after waaaaay too much gatorade.

Sadly DH bonked badly with 5K to go in the bike and ended up in the hospital with low blood sugar and low BP but after 2 IV's and some rest, I did see him as I headed out on my run and he filled me in. He is obviously disappointed but he will try again another year.

Dan, congrats on your triathlon! Love the photos!

Nicole, sorry to hear about your achilles- while I understand your desire to compete and save the healing for later, I have heard some awful stories about torn achilles and recovery there can take a lot longer. If you decide to go through with it, be sure that it is warmed up and you might also consider some physio taping. Or perhaps do the swim and bike for experience and then skip the run. Do take care of yourself though!

Helen, congrats on the HIM's! How many is that now?! You're awesome!

Cheri, thanks for your inspires and congrats on your all your races this season!

Julie, looks like your running mileage is coming up nicely. Guessing that it is a HM that you will be conquering in the fall.

Lisa, hope you are coping with the heat of Texas- there were a few texans at the race who were seemingly quite comfortable in the heat.

Looking forward to following you all through your fall races. Hugs and all the best to you! xo

sooo happy for you! and you do have a keeper of a husband! sorry he did not make it...but like you said...he soon too will be an Ironman!

yes, I am doing a HM next month....hopefully! haha

sooooo proud of you Yvonne! congrats!

YOU ARE AN IRON(WO)MAN - ONCE AN IRONMAN...ALWAYS AN IRONMAN! so where did you get the "m" dot tattoo???

Edited by Girl Passing on Left 2009-09-08 12:51 PM
2009-09-08 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2388556

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

maxmansmom - 2009-09-03 6:11 PM I feel shame !  so much for not being here......... looks like I have missed so much !

I have an account...but never find time to go there....sure is fun to catch up with old and new friends...and to find those lost buddies ~ just wish I had more time to do so...

keep on running...soon you will be back where you were...dont throw in the towel...that is the easy route....and I know you are not a quitter~!

2009-09-08 12:57 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-09-05 10:59 AM

I guess I should have read on....I think this is a SUPER wise decision on your part....

have a super fun and fast bike ride! after all that is your strongest link! plus, you have become quite the fishy...so have a fun duathalon....

2009-09-08 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2393695

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Sledge - 2009-09-07 4:55 PM

I hope everyone has had a fabulous Labor(less) Day weekend -- well, at least those of you in the U.S.  I found out something very exciting yesterday.  I was sitting on the beach with my Mom, and she passed an ALS pamphlet over to me.  For those of you who don't know what ALS is, it is also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.  And to me, it is the most horrible disease I've ever seen.  My Dad came down with ALS about six years ago, and nearly four years ago he died.  The disease strips the victim of their dignity.  They become totally dependent on their caregiver, which in this case was my Mother.  Anyway, I'm rambling... the point I'm trying to make is that the Florida ALS Association is putting together a bike ride to raise money for research!!!  Who would have thought??!!!  I am so there... and I am blessed with friends who will go with me and make this happen.  Oh happy day!!

I will sponsor you....if you need them...

sorry about your dad...but great that you can do something positive in his name.

2009-09-08 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2393893

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

lufferly - 2009-09-07 7:30 PM Cheri, great news about the ALS ride and hopefully the funds it will bring in for more research ... such a crippling disease.

Nicole, sounds like you have a great plan ... you will be so ready next time around!

It is beginning to get ever so slightly cooler here ... highs only in the 90s the past couple of weeks with the mornings in the low to mid 70s.  Still very muggy, but I'm not complaining after the summer we had.  Amazing what a mild change in the weather will do for your heart rate on a run!

Hope everyone has a great week!

hope it continues to cool down for you..plus I will be there mid to late October for a month or so....sure dont want to spend the entire time inside or in my sisters pool!

hoping we will get to meet this time round, too!

2009-09-08 1:06 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

was a great weekend for me....not for training.

I did get to spend some great time with my daughter who came in - we had a combination yard sale on Saturday and half of Sunday...i made just under $2000 and most important..I found my garage floor again! could actually park both our cars in there again. ran a few runs before, got in a good bike ride, yesterday. Heading out for my long slow run before the fog lifts....Hope everyone else had a good weekend.

enjoy your short week!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  

of 168