Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 71

2009-01-09 8:34 PM
in reply to: #1898583

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Subject: RE: QUEEN ZIP & KathyG - CLOSED

I think you should do the race!  You've paid for it, you'll work out tomorrow anyway, and I bet you'll be very happy when you're done!  Besides, I bet you'll go faster than you think....adrenaline, pride and all that.  Good Luck - and keep us posted!

Linda

2009-01-09 9:02 PM
in reply to: #1898651

User image

Champion
MA

BigDH - 2009-01-09 6:16 PM Hey everyone, I had an awesome run today. Thought I would share that. I think it is my best run in 2 years. I did not stop to walk, for like the first time ever by myself. I ran for just over an hour, I don't think I have ran an hour. I ran up a killer hill. It was awesome. It hurt a little but I pushed through. I love this stuff, the thing about it is that I have been doing it for 2 years, running and biking and swimming and Karate and it is awesome. 2 years, and it is like every week I feel like I am getting stronger and in better shape. I love it. That is the best part of starting out of shape or without a history of athletics, if you stick with it you will reach milestones constantly, I think, for quite some time. So, anyways, have a great weekend, it looks like a lot of people have 5 week highs in their training log, and that is awesome. Keep it up through the weekend. Oh yeah, another milestone that I will share, I have ran 4 times this week. 40km. All at work. If I run on Sunday it will be a 5 day week. I tell you, if I never run again, just making it through a week with 5 runs will be an awesome feeling. I don't think I have ever done that before. It feels awesome, absolutely awesome. True true true, I didnt swim, and only biked once, and that needs work but I am so excited about my running.

It is so sweet to have a break through run after 2 years of running

Your hard work is paying off...enjoy the benefits (faster, farther feeling better)!

2009-01-09 9:07 PM
in reply to: #1898651

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

BigDH - 2009-01-09 5:16 PM Hey everyone, I had an awesome run today. Thought I would share that. I think it is my best run in 2 years. I did not stop to walk, for like the first time ever by myself. I ran for just over an hour, I don't think I have ran an hour. I ran up a killer hill. It was awesome. It hurt a little but I pushed through. I love this stuff, the thing about it is that I have been doing it for 2 years, running and biking and swimming and Karate and it is awesome. 2 years, and it is like every week I feel like I am getting stronger and in better shape. I love it. That is the best part of starting out of shape or without a history of athletics, if you stick with it you will reach milestones constantly, I think, for quite some time. So, anyways, have a great weekend, it looks like a lot of people have 5 week highs in their training log, and that is awesome. Keep it up through the weekend. Oh yeah, another milestone that I will share, I have ran 4 times this week. 40km. All at work. If I run on Sunday it will be a 5 day week. I tell you, if I never run again, just making it through a week with 5 runs will be an awesome feeling. I don't think I have ever done that before. It feels awesome, absolutely awesome. True true true, I didnt swim, and only biked once, and that needs work but I am so excited about my running. [/QUOTE

Awesome to see improvements in traiing.  Hold onto the feeling.

So many times it's easy to get bogged down in the "why can' I do...." mentality.  Try to embrace the "look what I've accomplished" side of things whether it's training or racing and it will take you a lot farther.

2009-01-10 9:41 AM
in reply to: #1857705

User image

Champion
MA

What's on tap for the weekend everyone?

Leah has a race that she may do today...go Leah enjoy your run which ever way you do it.

Who is racing soon?

Anyone struggling? Have any questions? Let's hear them!

2009-01-10 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbia, KY

This is vain, I know, but...

I feel FAT, even though I'm doing pretty good with my eating, exercise, and water. It just makes me ill and gets old sometimes when you're supposed to keep doing the right thing anyway!!!

2009-01-10 9:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbia, KY
Kathy, I thought your post on the "No-Sugar Challenge" was excellent! I haven't had that really intense craving moment, yet...if and when I do, I'll go back and read your post again!!!

2009-01-10 10:57 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I am working woith my daughter to run a 10K with me in March.  We've gone out a few times and I have always wound up dropping her which really bothered me.  Today she stayed with me.  It wasn't real fast but she hung in there for 1.25 miles.  Once she got home I adjusted theHRM that wasn't picking up right and went back out for another 5.  No pain anywhere...so nice after the hip flexor/blisters and all.
2009-01-10 11:00 AM
in reply to: #1899429

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
custer - 2009-01-10 9:52 AM

I feel FAT, even though I'm doing pretty good with my eating, exercise, and water. It just makes me ill and gets old sometimes when you're supposed to keep doing the right thing anyway!!!

Don't let the mental "feel fats" pull you into a funk of bad eating.  Remind yourself of the positive steps you've taken to change your lifestyle with training and eating right.  All weight loss programs allow for an occasional treat, the key is making it the occasion and not the regular habit.  My treat lately is low fat chocolate soy milk (or low fat chocolate milk) post long run.  Just enough to reward myself and refuel.
2009-01-10 11:38 AM
in reply to: #1897495

User image

Master
NJ
running4beer - 2009-01-09 12:01 PM
>Although, I'm sure there's less suffering there than the boredom of constant cadence... did you ever try it?

Absolutely - sometimes I wind up staring at the bottom halves of my legs in the reflection of the tv if it's not on. b-o-r-i-n-g.
2009-01-10 11:42 AM

User image

Master
NJ
custer - 2009-01-10 10:52 AM

I hear you...I feel that way occasionally also which usually winds up with me eating more b/c I dont "deserve" to be ______________. thinner, more in shape, athletic, whatever... someone here has a sig. line that says "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" - it's true and it's helped me over some darker moments. that and the low fat choc. milk like queen zipp
2009-01-10 11:42 AM

User image

Beantown

Thanks for all the fun notes over the last few days, sorry I haven’t reciprocated- i've got yucky news - i was laid off thursday nite.... and i've been riding the emotional rollercoaster ever since.  Traveling and being in Chicago kink-of helps....until i caught-up with everyone here, going about your normal routine, and i realized that Monday nite i return to the reality of my situation and very little will be normal.

Wow – I had to let that out because I’ve been holding it in for so long and having the strong face for my boyfriend (who has spoiled me with a massage, a pedicure, and champagne since we arrived!) I CERTAINLY don’t want to bum anyone out – I am so prone to holding in bad things and masking my stress –thanks for giving me a place to just ‘say it out loud’ J

Custer – we all have ‘fat days’ JUST LET IT OUT, acknowledge it, smile because you have the strength to persevere, and get back to business!!  i'll be having a low-fat chocolate milk after i get a workout in today!

DH – I had a run like that last fall – I was on a crash-training program for a 10K – and I had that same AH HA! moment when I felt like I could do ANYTHING!!  Hang on to that feeling until you have the next BREAKTHROUGH!

Leah  - I really hope you raced!!  If you didn’t set that as goal #1 for 2010!!

Aquagirl – have no fear, the lack of a job will help my swimming – plenty of time for the poolJ We have access to an aquatic center next to our hotel and I’ll be ‘getting wet’ as soon as breakfast digests a little more!  Your 1/2IM team member will not let you down!

KathyG, I sent mav a message – maybe we can all go for a run or swim together soon!

Hope everyone has a fun filled weekend (I’ll be having a cocktail filled weekend)!! 

Every wall is a door    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

2009-01-10 11:47 AM
in reply to: #1899423

User image

Master
NJ
KathyG - 2009-01-10 10:41 AM

What's on tap for the weekend everyone?

Today a quick run while kiddies are busy at activities then hopefully lots of sledding if the snow actually continues. I'd like to be a weatherman aroud here b/c they've been wrong about forcasting about 90% of the time. Seems like an easy job. Guess what it's gonna do and if it doesn't turn out correctly, blame it on the jetstream or a slow cold front.....
Anyway, Im kinda excited b/c I work at the Y on Thurs. nights and some random woman came in around 7ish, I checked her in and at 10:15 when we were closing and I was rounding up the slowpokes in the locker room, she's still in there! We started chatting and it turns out she's a triathlete who took about 5 yrs. off from racing to become a long distance open water swimmer and has done lots of crazy long swims. She's planning on doing an IM later this year, and has done a few in the past along with shorter distances. We're going to the Y tomorrow and she'll help me with my swim technique and has offered to help me devise a plan from now till official IM training starts.
Happy weekend everyone!

2009-01-10 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1899557

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
RedSoxChick - 2009-01-10 11:42 AM

Thanks for all the fun notes over the last few days, sorry I haven’t reciprocated- i've got yucky news - i was laid off thursday nite.... and i've been riding the emotional rollercoaster ever since.  Traveling and being in Chicago kink-of helps....until i caught-up with everyone here, going about your normal routine, and i realized that Monday nite i return to the reality of my situation and very little will be normal.

Wow – I had to let that out because I’ve been holding it in for so long and having the strong face for my boyfriend (who has spoiled me with a massage, a pedicure, and champagne since we arrived!) I CERTAINLY don’t want to bum anyone out – I am so prone to holding in bad things and masking my stress –thanks for giving me a place to just ‘say it out loud’ J

Custer – we all have ‘fat days’ JUST LET IT OUT, acknowledge it, smile because you have the strength to persevere, and get back to business!!  i'll be having a low-fat chocolate milk after i get a workout in today!

DH – I had a run like that last fall – I was on a crash-training program for a 10K – and I had that same AH HA! moment when I felt like I could do ANYTHING!!  Hang on to that feeling until you have the next BREAKTHROUGH!

Leah  - I really hope you raced!!  If you didn’t set that as goal #1 for 2010!!

Aquagirl – have no fear, the lack of a job will help my swimming – plenty of time for the poolJ We have access to an aquatic center next to our hotel and I’ll be ‘getting wet’ as soon as breakfast digests a little more!  Your 1/2IM team member will not let you down!

KathyG, I sent mav a message – maybe we can all go for a run or swim together soon!

Hope everyone has a fun filled weekend (I’ll be having a cocktail filled weekend)!! 

Every wall is a door    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lisa, Sorry about the job.  This economic stuff is nasty.

I heard something on the news the other night that still has me thinking.  It sounded like a positive spin on new jobs being created...but how can the type of job be a positive spin.?...a local company is hiring 300-400 new people for mortgage foreclosures.  That's a "good" thing???? It only means that "x" more people have lost jobs and homes due to the bad economy!  Hope some good training takes the sting out and you get a lead on a new job soon!

2009-01-10 12:35 PM

User image

Veteran
custer - 2009-01-10 7:52 AM

I know the feeling, I am not sure what program you are following, but I am doing the Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle program. I have tweeked it some as I can not eat 4 times a day at this point, but his encouragment is awsome. If you type that name into google, you will come up with the web site. I would recommed it to anyone. I purchased the $40 online book because I was desperate and did not want to try the new fad pills. I began to read it and I was sooo inspired I started his principles the first day. Be encouraged, I lost 45 lbs in just a short time, but felt physically better after the first week. Unfortunately I broke my leg, and stopped eating right, because I had to depend on others for my food. I started the program again a week ago and have dropped 5 lbs. Good Luck...It takes hard work and dedication to make it a life change. I fail, I eat wrong, but just start over again with your next meal! Its ok!

Edited by ilucy2 2009-01-10 12:58 PM
2009-01-10 12:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Morning team! I have finished a successful week, and did everything according to my plan. It will increase next week. I am excited and may tweek it some, by adding in another run day. I put the stairmaster, and row day in to give my leg a rest and cross train, but it is itching to go! Maybe I will do half and half. Thanks for the inspires, they are what is keeping me honest. Today is a rest day, and I plan to enjoy it and reward myself with.....HOUSEWORK!!
2009-01-10 2:59 PM
in reply to: #1899556

User image

Champion
Sydney
kristinc0916 - 2009-01-11 4:42 AM

I hear you...I feel that way occasionally also which usually winds up with me eating more b/c I dont "deserve" to be ______________. thinner, more in shape, athletic, whatever... someone here has a sig. line that says "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" - it's true and it's helped me over some darker moments. that and the low fat choc. milk like queen zipp

I feel that way often too! I try really hard to catch myself out when Im thinking like that and focus on the positives like what my body can do...it can ride a bike for an hour without feeling too much fatigue (ok on a flat course) and I have already lost 10kgs from my highest weight (22 pounds) and even though I have about double that to loose to be healthy at least I am the healthiest Ive been in 2 years with my chronic stomach issues under control and not on any medication....

Im a BIG time emotional eater so while I cant always stop myself I *always* try to stop the negative self talk because I think that will be the key to longterm success for me...and being hard on myself all the time cant be healthy! (and yes it really is easier said than done!)

2009-01-10 3:21 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I struggle with the same thing...but I try really hard to push those thoughts out of my head. I do all I can to be healthy, exercise a lot,  eat natural foods avoid sugars, processed carbs, and still I struggle. I try to put into perspective that I lost lots of weight and changed from a poor example mom to healthy living to a pretty good example to my kids. When I line up at tris I still feel I'm bigger than most women and I am. My lean body mass is high 128-129 and so even though I have a good body fat % for women my age, I feel big. Plus I do have some issues left over from being heavy for so long...flappy upper arms even though I have pretty serious biceps and other stuff. 

I'm working on having a positive body image. Reality is I do the best I can and I need to think of all the cool things my body can do and not be at war or angry with it but think wow...it moves me fast, gives me pleasure, and I take care of it now. Having negative body image really takes the joy out of many activities. I'm working on being at peace with my body.

Nancy Clark wrote an interesting article about body image that was posted here on BT you should read. I got two of the books she mentioned and I think working through them will be helpful for me.

2009-01-10 3:32 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Thanks for the artice Kathy - it reminded me of a trick I learnt several years ago.

Someone once told me that because you  cant 'feel' fat to write down a list of how I actually felt on those days. For me it was things like unloved, unattractive, awkward,  etc

Addressing those underlying feelings helped. For example I mostly felt fat in the office and some of it came from a lack of confidence in dealing with some of my colleagues who have very strong personalities...by realising people are coming to me because I have a valuable and valid opinion got rid of a lot of the awkwardness and panic I had been feeling...

Its so easy to relate other feelings to 'fat' wheras I think sometimes the fat we are feeling is related to other feelings we might be having.

2009-01-10 4:09 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Excellent article, Kathy. 

I wonder how many times I have felt similar thoughts?  More than needed.  We do have a lot of great resoures right here on the site....gotta look at the articles more often

In a sport laden with spandex and every bulge showing it's hard to focus on the positive things.  However, the self talk of reminding yourself of the long term progress we've made is really a key.

One of my friends  here is not just listing her nutrition daily...she's taken to listing "things I thought about eating today" in her blog.  That makes it a victory if you thought about it but chose not to eat it.  A positive thing.

2009-01-10 4:47 PM

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California

OK. I did the race. It was tough and I did not make the cut-off time. The third time the aid people on the course asked me if I wanted a ride back, I finally said "yes" because it did dawn on me that the offer wasn't for me, it was for them to be able to clear the course. So, I "only" did 12.06 miles that took me 3 hours 50 minutes. I am not unhappy. Not particularly happy about the result, but pleased with myself that I tried and now I have 12 more miles in my training log and my Garmin tells me that I burned 1230 calories. I wouldn't have gotten that staying home.

Thank you for all the words of support. They made the difference and got me out to the mountains.

I tried to include a jpg of the elevation profile, but it didn't work. How do you do that?

2009-01-10 4:55 PM

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California

Lisa - I'm so sorry to hear about your job. My niece got laid off the week before Christmas and it seems like the terrible stories don't quit. Hopefully you are in a line of work where you will be able to find something else quickly.

Pam - boy, oh boy do I know about feeling fat, regardless of what the scale said. I don't have anything much to add to what other people have said, but just remember that everything is relative. Just focus on what you HAVE accomplished and not on what is left to be accomplished because there is ALWAYS something left to be accomplished. If we lose all the weight we said we wanted to lose, then our body fat percentage needs tweaking or we need to be able to lift more pounds at the gym or whatever. We are always a work in progress.

2009-01-10 6:18 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Kathy,
That's a great article! Lots of truth to what she is saying. Some days you can feel like a whippet others, a big ol' lazy newfoundland.
2009-01-10 8:06 PM
in reply to: #1899961

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Congrats, Leah!!   I think it was a win....and I'm so glad you did it!   No way can you look at 12 HILLY miles and not be proud of that.  Not to mention 1230 calories....that's a lot of ice cream!

Linda

2009-01-10 8:49 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Leah,

That was a  victory.  12 miles of a hilly course is HARD WORK.  You did an awesome job on that run.  I don't have a lot of hills to train on for my run loops so hilly races are a huge challenge to me. 

Nice thing about conquering hills in training is that you'll feel that much faster on the flats!

2009-01-10 9:13 PM
in reply to: #1899961

User image

Champion
Calgary
LeahDD - 2009-01-10 3:47 PM

OK. I did the race. It was tough and I did not make the cut-off time. The third time the aid people on the course asked me if I wanted a ride back, I finally said "yes" because it did dawn on me that the offer wasn't for me, it was for them to be able to clear the course. So, I "only" did 12.06 miles that took me 3 hours 50 minutes. I am not unhappy. Not particularly happy about the result, but pleased with myself that I tried and now I have 12 more miles in my training log and my Garmin tells me that I burned 1230 calories. I wouldn't have gotten that staying home.

Thank you for all the words of support. They made the difference and got me out to the mountains.

I tried to include a jpg of the elevation profile, but it didn't work. How do you do that?

Haaaaaaa, that is AWESOME.

http://www.trailrace.com/maps/boney_13mile_elev.jpg

That is the elevation profile. I think

Killer, Killer climb, wow. How are you feeling? Sore?

Good Job!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QUEEN ZIP & KathyG - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 71