BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-01-04 5:17 AM
in reply to: #3256949

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-01-04 5:19 AM

2011-01-04 7:19 AM
in reply to: #3275878

Master
Highlands Ranch
Subject: RE: Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED!
I can re-acclimate to getting up at 4:20 to swim at 5, but I don't think I can post that early Embarassed
2011-01-04 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3275391

Master
...at home in The ATL
Catwoman - 2011-01-03 8:34 PM I love the trainer. You'll get used to it eventually just give it some time. I listen to my ipod, and watch the numbers on the power meter. During long rides I watch TV or movies. Why I love the trainer: 1. It is always there waiting for you. Wake up at 3, no problem get on the trainer 2. You can wear bike shorts that are too see through to wear in public on the trainer 3. Bathroom is always close to the trainer 4. Easy access to food and water 5. Long rides can be started on the trainer while you wait for the sun to come up. This works out well when it is over 100 here. 6. If you do a hard interval and need to throw up the bathroom is close by (don't ask how I know this : ) 7. Your family knows where you are at all times 8. It is safer than riding outside And the number one reason why I love the trainer: Without it I probably couldn't train for an IM and work full time.

Rene - that is a great list! I am going to try to remember to chant "I love my trainer!" 10 times every time I begin my ride. I only wish I had the list 3 days ago - on Sunday morning I was poking around the house waiting for the sun to come up so I could begin my long ride - it has once even entered into my brain that I could begin (or end) part of a ride on the trainer. I mean, how dumb am I????!
2011-01-04 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3275625

Master
...at home in The ATL
StMaas - 2011-01-03 10:19 PM Rusty, if you have someflexibility over what you're doing while in saddle, the belkow integrates the two, to an extent. I ran across  this recently, it's a good way to add 'unstructured structure' if you don't want/need to do a strictly defined workout. I did 'big ring on commercials' recently for the 2nd half of Broncos v Texans, and there are an awful lot of commercials in the last 5 minutes of an NFL game!

High Cadence Spinning > 110 RPM's

Power and Strength: Out of the saddle - hard gear  Big chain ring/ 11. Slow down your cadence

Speed and Efficiency: Out of the saddle- fast legs  Big chain ring/ 23 ( or small/ 15)

Power and Strength: Seated Hill climb- big chain ring/ 11 or 13 (slow Cadence 60/70)

Isolated Leg Drills (small ring 15)

Progressive Spin Ups (increase speed gradually until you are in an all out sprint. Don't bounce)

Every time there is one of the following (depending on what you are watching) choose one of the above to do.  Here are some examples:

Commercial- out of the saddle 

Instant Reply- fast spinning

Free Throw-Progressive Spin up

Field Goal Attempt-Out of the Saddle Fast leg

Full Disclosure, this came from a blog post by Kathy Alfino, who is a coach and  multi- Kona finisher   

Awesome - thanks for those Steve - great suggestions. I sorta did that during my long warm-up on Saturday while watching some of the Ironman marathon on Universal Sports - hard during the commercials, easy during the show. 'Course, if I took that strategy during this year's IM show, I would have been going easy the whole time...

It would be fun to come up with others for when you are watching the news, cooking shows, reality TV - whatever. And how about the all-time ultimate killer quad burner: When watching "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" you have to do a 30 second all-out effort every time they say "Who."
2011-01-04 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3275786

Master
...at home in The ATL
KathyG - 2011-01-04 12:25 AM
I enjoy training often more than racing. With racing I enjoy the challenge of executing well.  At times, I struggle with being satisfied with my race results. It has been something that I have been working on last few seasons.

Kathy - same here - I have a pretty good group of guys and gals that train and socialize together all the time. As you might imagine, that often means that a training ride, run or swim turns into an all-out race. We even have a "Weekday World Champion" jersey that we swap around just for fun. From the bunch of us though, I am the only one aiming at IM this year, so subsequently I am doing a lot more solo training, especially on the bike and run. I actually think maybe this one change more than anything else will help me be more consistent and competitive in my race finishes. There is no doubt that I have enjoyed some of my best race PRs out on the training course.

Weekday World Champion Jersey

2011-01-04 10:47 AM

Champion
MA
Anyone good at computer stuff?

In past groups I've been in someone has made up a box with list of screen names in mentor group that if you click on a screen name it has a link to that person's blog. It is something that can be cut and pasted into our blogs to have easier time checking in on others in our group.

I would find it helpful.
2011-01-04 11:14 AM
in reply to: #3275361

Master
...at home in The ATL
Kath2163 - 2011-01-03 8:16 PM I have two questions for you guys.

I have read about LT tests and heard about them but I still am not 100% on them.  I know you are supposed to run for a specific amount of time(30 mins) at a hard effort and hit the lap button of your hr monitor 10 minutes in to the run (this is what my plan calls for tomorrow). So, is the goal to see how high your HR goes while still being able to hold a fast pace?  Also, how do I know how fast I can go without having to walk?  I have a history of running at one pace but that is starting to change.

How do you define a time trial effort?  Is it a certain % slower then a "race pace"?   Or  is it what you can hold steady for a period of time?   I know what time trials are but having this used in a training plan is confusing me.  Since I don't train with power (another thing I know nothing about but am interested in) I assume hr , speed, cadence would play a role in this. Is that correct?
THANKS!

Hey Kathleen - don't want your question to get buried, because it is an important one in performing an accurate test.

I am certainly no expert, but I have always understood that the actual test part should be performed at a wide-open, race-pace effort. When the test is done, you should be confident that you gave the test everything that you have and could have not possibly gone harder. I would be less than honest if I did not admit that I may have teared up a time or two at the tail end of an LT test.

I am only guessing, but I think the reason the term "TT pace" is used more often than "race pace" is that it  maybe reinforces the fact that the test is should really be a solo effort, and based on your maximum effort for a set amount of time, rather than maximum effort over a set distance. In essence, in a TT, you cannot beat the clock like you can in a race. A subtle but important mental distinction when perming the test, I have found. It does not mean that you have to do it by yourself, but on the bike you want to be the one pulling for 20 minutes straight, and if you use a 5k race you really don't want your effort to be messed up by race-day tactics. TT pace may also further reinforce the fact that you want the effort to be continuous like most TT races - no stops, turns, or road crossings, and relatively moderate terrain - not a lot of sharp ups or down. I actually find it useful to have someone pretty tough along to push me to sustain maximum effort, but everyone is different. In another thread Kathy noted that she needed a little isolation to maintain her focus.

It has been pointed out to me (especially relative to the bike) that it is important to test in the environment and conditions in which you will be using the results in training. In other words, if you are going to be using the LT data on the trainer, then perform the test on the trainer, not on the road and vice versus.

Hope that helps (and is even close to accurate!) - and let us know how it goes!

Edited by TankBoy 2011-01-04 11:15 AM
2011-01-04 11:25 AM

Champion
MA
Goal is to go as hard as you can for the 20' test. Ignore your HR until when you are done. Often HR will climb gradually through the 20' section even if you are going the same pace.

Ideally you pace even or slightly pick up effort/pace as you progress through the TT.

It can be a learning experience as some folks go to hard and sort of blow up but learn something so next one is better.

If you will be training by HR, also make note of the weather conditions and anything else unique about the TT...so you have the data for future reference as conditions effect both pace and HR.

I like to do TTs in same location, warming up the same, each time as it helps remove a few variables from testing.

It should be hard and feel like you gave it your all when done.

Good Luck!
2011-01-04 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3276768

Elite
Ontario
TankBoy - 2011-01-04 12:14 PM It has been pointed out to me (especially relative to the bike) that it is important to test in the environment and conditions in which you will be using the results in training. In other words, if you are going to be using the LT data on the trainer, then perform the test on the trainer, not on the road and vice versus.

I would agree with all of this, but add the caveat that while testing outdoors is optimal, it's not always ideal for getting the best results.  Speaking for myself, I do my power tests indoors simply because it's difficult to do a test around here without wind, terrain, vehicles, etc. possibly skewing the results.  On the trainer, I have no outside forces affecting the output.  I will acknowledge that the exertion level is perhaps just slightly higher indoors, but other than that I find (for me personally) that it works better.  Time and time again I can mimic the same testing environment - if I go outside I can't do that - which I believe is better when reviewing results over a period of time.

Edited by GoFaster 2011-01-04 12:35 PM
2011-01-04 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3276675

Master
Highlands Ranch
I'd been planning to do this but haven't had the time; If I get some the next couple of days, I'll copy the grid Rene has posted, and add the links

2011-01-04 2:56 PM

Master
Baltimore

I just read this article, thought it was pretty interesting, http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--13791-1-1X2X3X4X5-6,00.html . I've been getting a run focus lately, but just mileage.  My coworker (also a coach) sparked an email discussion with me today about where I need to go next with my running to prepare for my HIM (adding speed and tempo stuff).  he's pretty technical with the VO2max, MLSS stuff but i think it jives pretty well with what these guys are talking about.  He works with Dr. Skiba - some of you may have read his book on training with power - and has similar if not the same philosophy.

Anyway, just putting the article out there if anyone wants to read/comment/start a discussion about it, and if you could translate the philosophy to IM training (perhaps not).  The one thing I found most interesting about the article was about the author freaking out about his longest run being 16 miles, but the coaches point out that that run is actually training your body to handle the last 16 miles, not the first 16, because of how the program is set up.

2011-01-04 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3277460

Master
...at home in The ATL
jsiegs - 2011-01-04 3:56 PM

I just read this article, thought it was pretty interesting, http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--13791-1-1X2X3X4X5-6,00.html . I've been getting a run focus lately, but just mileage.  My coworker (also a coach) sparked an email discussion with me today about where I need to go next with my running to prepare for my HIM (adding speed and tempo stuff).  he's pretty technical with the VO2max, MLSS stuff but i think it jives pretty well with what these guys are talking about.  He works with Dr. Skiba - some of you may have read his book on training with power - and has similar if not the same philosophy.

Anyway, just putting the article out there if anyone wants to read/comment/start a discussion about it, and if you could translate the philosophy to IM training (perhaps not).  The one thing I found most interesting about the article was about the author freaking out about his longest run being 16 miles, but the coaches point out that that run is actually training your body to handle the last 16 miles, not the first 16, because of how the program is set up.

Joe - I read that in last months issue, and I have to say it absolutely aligns with my experience running marathons and ultras - I have run my best when staying under 16~18 miles long run and under 40 mile per week. Too much over that on a regular basis and my legs really begin to come apart. Everybody is different, but most of the folks that I know that have been running for a long time have found their sweet spot on weekly mileage. Mine is really 40, tops, and I race long distance pretty well at significantly  under that - my marathon routine was 3 runs per week - all quality, no junk. 1 set of speed work (usually about 8 miles total including a good warm up and cool down), 1 day of tempo (maxing out at about 7 miles at tempo pace with 1.5 warm up an cool down), and regular long runs of 14~16, maybe a couple at 18, starting out very easy and then descending the set until the last 5~6 miles are at race pace. When ultra training the only thing I really do differently is add another longish run on saturday every other week or so (without the descending part) or a 5~6 hour ride, so that the long run on Sunday is done with a good bit of fatigue. Then always swim on Monday.

I began marathoning by following traditional Runner's World plans and always wound up injured, overtrained, and/or burned out. The trick to the three day per week thing for me was to continue to swim and cycle as well - all of that helped build my fitness without all the pounding that a traditional run-only plan requires. I just made sure that the swim/bike did not impact the quality of my speed/tempo workouts. For me it always seemed like the extra 3 or 4 days of running in a traditional plan were more about building fitness, not speed or endurance. If you can build fitness off your feet (by cycling and swimming) then I say save yourself and do it. On the flipside, I know lots of folks that can hammer out high volume run weeks month after month, and they race really well too - it is really all about figuring out what works for you, so be patient and stick with a plan to see how it works - just make sure not to jump back and forth between plans from week to week or month to month - endurance sport is a long game!

Oh, and I can attest to fact that whatever those Hanson brothers are doing works. I do a fair number of races around Michigan every year (family locale) and those dudes are fast!
2011-01-04 4:03 PM

2011-01-04 4:09 PM

2011-01-04 4:14 PM
in reply to: #3277673

Master
Baltimore
Fred Doucette - 2011-01-04 5:03 PM Wow, lots of interesting discussion! I was very busy with work today, but have a really big training plan tomorrow. My feeling on all issues tri related is that there really are many, many ways to be successful. Low mileage, high mileage, higher intensity, lower intensity, etc, etc. Some of the biggest fights on the BT tri talk page have been over issues relating to MAF training. This is lower intensity training that Mark Allen used to advocate along with dr. maffetone. I used to be a follower of that process but no longer really find it as useful. I think some of the things that work well early in your tri career may or may not work well later on.

Fred - I totally hear you on that.  After all the reading I've done here on the forums and stuff, I'm actually scared to run fast or hard...I'll get hurt instantly!  Ok, slight exaggeration, but just shows my point.  I think that lots and lots of easy running is really good, it worked really well for me for the last 4 months building to mileages per months I never dreamed of, and I did it without ever getting run down or hurt (and really helped my confidence).  Now, I need to lose that mentality, come to grips with the fact that my body is ready to handle faster running more often.  Sometimes that transition in philosophy can be a tough on I think.  And yes, there are good programs for different people, and at different points in their careers, you just gotta find the one that you like, you can believe in and works for you NOW.

2011-01-04 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3277709

2011-01-04 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3277006

2011-01-04 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3277699

Master
Baltimore
Fred Doucette - 2011-01-04 5:09 PM A few more thoughts. Joe, running at eagleman requires great fitness and heat tolerance. Also requires good bike pacing. The run is flat which makes it seem 'easier' but it's a challenge for sure. Also, the part in the articles about freaking out because the longest run was only 16 miles is a really interesting issue for me. I often see first time IMers saying things like they needed to do a 22 mile run or more likely a 112 mile bike ride in their training to give them the confidence that they could reach their goals on race day. I completely understand that anxiety and I've had it to some degree myself. I once road 130 miles with a friend who is a pro triathlete to gain some additional confidence! My plan for 2011 will actually have only one century on the bike, and that will be on race day at IM Wisconsin. The next longest ride will pebbly only be about 80 miles. The difference is that it will be at a very different intensity. Will it be better? Time will tell, but I doubt I would have had the confidence to go into an IM with a long ride of 80 miles my first time around. Thoughts?

yes, I really agree with you now.  When I was newer, I needed to know I could run after biking - I did a lot of bricks.  I don't anymore (save very sparingly for nutrition practice/maybe a race pace walkthrough).  I needed to know I could bike 56 miles then run - I'd bike 70 or 80 miles then try to run (but I biked it too easy).  I think that killed me.  I need to focus on exactly what you're talking about - shorter bikes but harder intensity.  I don't think my 4 hour Z1-Z2 rides helped my HIM bike leg that much (but that was the plan I followed).  But I think it was important in confidence that I felt overtrained the distance (but I probably undertrained the intensity...if that makes any sense).

on the Eagleman heat front - I'm doing something suggested by my friend - minimizing my fan/cooling when on the trainer.  Get hotter/sweat more, and he says it will help for that race...thoughts?
2011-01-04 4:27 PM
in reply to: #3277727

Master
Baltimore
Fred Doucette - 2011-01-04 5:19 PM
jsiegs - 2011-01-04 5:14 PM
Fred Doucette - 2011-01-04 5:03 PM Wow, lots of interesting discussion! I was very busy with work today, but have a really big training plan tomorrow. My feeling on all issues tri related is that there really are many, many ways to be successful. Low mileage, high mileage, higher intensity, lower intensity, etc, etc. Some of the biggest fights on the BT tri talk page have been over issues relating to MAF training. This is lower intensity training that Mark Allen used to advocate along with dr. maffetone. I used to be a follower of that process but no longer really find it as useful. I think some of the things that work well early in your tri career may or may not work well later on.

Fred - I totally hear you on that.  After all the reading I've done here on the forums and stuff, I'm actually scared to run fast or hard...I'll get hurt instantly!  Ok, slight exaggeration, but just shows my point.  I think that lots and lots of easy running is really good, it worked really well for me for the last 4 months building to mileages per months I never dreamed of, and I did it without ever getting run down or hurt (and really helped my confidence).  Now, I need to lose that mentality, come to grips with the fact that my body is ready to handle faster running more often.  Sometimes that transition in philosophy can be a tough on I think.  And yes, there are good programs for different people, and at different points in their careers, you just gotta find the one that you like, you can believe in and works for you NOW.
. Joe, I think this is why people hire a coach. There is so much noise out there that it can make it hard to know what to do. I've had my injuries and failures as well, so I'm not perfect. I hired a coach to take out the noise and I just follow a plan

haha, so true.  If I wasn't saving for an Aug wedding, I would probably be working with a coach now too.
2011-01-04 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3277732

Master
Baltimore
Fred Doucette - 2011-01-04 5:21 PM
GoFaster - 2011-01-04 1:34 PM
TankBoy - 2011-01-04 12:14 PM It has been pointed out to me (especially relative to the bike) that it is important to test in the environment and conditions in which you will be using the results in training. In other words, if you are going to be using the LT data on the trainer, then perform the test on the trainer, not on the road and vice versus.

I would agree with all of this, but add the caveat that while testing outdoors is optimal, it's not always ideal for getting the best results.  Speaking for myself, I do my power tests indoors simply because it's difficult to do a test around here without wind, terrain, vehicles, etc. possibly skewing the results.  On the trainer, I have no outside forces affecting the output.  I will acknowledge that the exertion level is perhaps just slightly higher indoors, but other than that I find (for me personally) that it works better.  Time and time again I can mimic the same testing environment - if I go outside I can't do that - which I believe is better when reviewing results over a period of time.
. Good points Neil. I think it is good to try to replicate the conditions when testing. However, bike power results are quite different inside and outside, so just take that into account too.

yeah, I'm not sure how I can test outside when the time comes for the reasons you mention.  Not sure I can find a place for 20 min of constant and consistant cycling.  Man, I'd be mad if at min 18 I hit a stop sign or a downhill that I spin out on and have the test compromized...those things are too tough to repeat more often than necessary!

2011-01-04 4:38 PM
in reply to: #3277733

2011-01-04 4:41 PM
in reply to: #3277673

Master
Lexington, KY
Fred Doucette - 2011-01-04 5:03 PM
My feeling on all issues tri related is that there really are many, many ways to be successful. Low mileage, high mileage, higher intensity, lower intensity, etc, etc.

Completely agree with this.
2011-01-04 4:42 PM
in reply to: #3277752

2011-01-04 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3277788

Master
South Alabama

Fred Doucette - 2011-01-04 4:42 PM The best way to get power numbers is to do an Olympic distance race and then use the power numbers. Usually you would be around 60-70 minutes at the faster end of the curve, so it would give you a great estimation of FTP, probably much better than the CP20 type of calculations. If your bike time in an Olympic is a lot slower than 70 minute, then using a shorter race distance can help. But again, this is why people test on trainers so as to take outbthe extraneous variables. The question is do indoor power numbers correlate with outdoor power numbers well enough to use them for determining your pacing for a given race etc.?

I don't think there is really a "best" way to test for FTP.  There are many schools of thought.  In my opinion what is most important is choosing a method and sticking with it so you can guage your progress.  Dont do the 20 min all out one time and the Olympic method Fred discusses the next-as the FTP numbers would likely vary a good bit.  The numbers generated are just a tool to establish training zones and zones for pacing when racing longer distances.  I have been following the protocol in the "Racing and Training with Power" book since I started using a PT in Nov. 2009.  I hate doing the test but it is important to do periodically so you can see where you are.   As with training and so many things with doing triathlons consistency is key.

Randy 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 76