BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-02-09 8:13 AM
in reply to: #4035538

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed
jeffnboise - 2012-02-08 9:35 AM

@Emily:  Glad I'm not the only one who can be tempted by "the dark side". 

(Darth Vadar breathing....slowly....breathing....)

My 'plan' has been working pretty well; at the least it gets a workout into my schedule.  I'm off Weds., so I've got a blind date for coffee, then a long(er-ish) bike, then ANOTHER blind date for happy hour.  Day could be really, really good......or it could totally blow.  BUT, there will be bikes, babes, coffee and beer-so how bad can it be.   Wish me luck.  

Tempted by the dark side?  I think I AM the dark side.

Hope the babes were as fun as the bikes and beer!

2012-02-09 8:21 AM
in reply to: #4035603

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

coolgenes - 2012-02-08 9:59 AM Hi all, Great day here in SC high of 60 today, though its still getting down to upper 30s at night. I think this is perfect workout weather. just 2 weeks till I have to suspend training a bit to do a month of Adventure Boot Camp that DW gifted me (she's been doing it since last Oct.). I'm going to still try to swim 2x per week during the camp see if I can do anything else. I'll just suck it up and try to tighten my core up. Anyway, thanks for your advice on the swims Emily, I went ahead and did 1000yds. I almost quit in the first 300 yds because I felt like crap, then I almost kept going I was in such a zone, if only I hadn't started missing flip turns, so hard to do the turn, stretch your legs out and you never hit the wall except with your big toe, so hard to get moving from that. I don't know if it was my speed changing from what it used to be or taking my eyes off the wall or just can't see the wall because I don't wear contacts. I love impromptu dates, and Lasagna! good choice Good luck today Jeff

Adventure Boot Camp sounds...adventurous.  Is that a daily class or only a certain number of times per week?  What sorts of "fun" exercises are you in for?

I meant to add to my previous post...stick with the 0to1650 so you have a solid plan to follow but if you're feeling good then, by all means, add a few more repeats to get some more yardage in!  There are also a few other places to go for free swim workouts.

The Livestrong site has an article with links to several free workouts: http://www.livestrong.com/article/252540-free-triathlon-swimming-workouts/ (scroll to the bottom of the article for links to the workouts)

There are also several workouts on BT: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/category.asp?catid=156

Edited by esc 2012-02-09 8:22 AM
2012-02-09 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3955221

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Still out in AZ.  Got in a great workout last night.  Ran 4 miles and then a spin class right afterward.  The spin class part was only OK as I was wearing my running shoes.  I hate not having cycling shoes.  In those situations I don't get out of the saddle much 

Overall my eating has been really good this week.  Really hard to stay clean when I can go eat out at a very nice restaurant on the company dime  That is what has caused the slight slip on my weight over the past year..  I opted for cooking a chicken breast with having a salad in my room after working out.  Yay for me!

I keep saying this, but it's true.  I really need to pick a training plan and stick to it.  The longer I procrastinate the harder it will be to get on the correct/right track.. 

2012-02-09 12:55 PM
in reply to: #4037558

User image

Veteran
Clemson
esc - 2012-02-09 9:21 AM

Adventure Boot Camp sounds...adventurous.  Is that a daily class or only a certain number of times per week?  What sorts of "fun" exercises are you in for?

I meant to add to my previous post...stick with the 0to1650 so you have a solid plan to follow but if you're feeling good then, by all means, add a few more repeats to get some more yardage in!  There are also a few other places to go for free swim workouts.

The Livestrong site has an article with links to several free workouts: http://www.livestrong.com/article/252540-free-triathlon-swimming-workouts/ (scroll to the bottom of the article for links to the workouts)

There are also several workouts on BT: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/category.asp?catid=156

Umm, yeah, adventurous, that's exactly what I'm thinking... I'm doing it as a favor to the DW and I'm thinking of it as a core strengthening exercise. I'll tell you all what I can. I do know that there will be some TRX involved which I have been working on once a week. I think it does a good job. I did something amazing today, dropped my swim time by a little over 3 minutes! I almost got my 100 time down to 1:30 which I thought was a long shot before my training program begins, I have to look up when yet...

Joeyj1974

I keep saying this, but it's true. I really need to pick a training plan and stick to it. The longer I procrastinate the harder it will be to get on the correct/right track..

Joey, when is the tri you're training for? i.e. how many weeks do you have left for training? You training to compete or complete?

2012-02-10 8:35 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Hey, all-

Happy Friday! I have a wine&dine date night with the hubby tonight. Clean eating will not occur...but I also have a 9-10 miler on tap for tomorrow, so maybe that will cancel out some of the calories that come in tonight.

Unfortunately, they are calling for "snow" or what passes for that in central VA. Bah.
2012-02-10 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4039767

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

enders_shadow - 2012-02-10 9:35 AM Hey, all- Happy Friday! I have a wine&dine date night with the hubby tonight. Clean eating will not occur...but I also have a 9-10 miler on tap for tomorrow, so maybe that will cancel out some of the calories that come in tonight. Unfortunately, they are calling for "snow" or what passes for that in central VA. Bah.

Sounds fun!  The wine, that is, not the snow.

I managed to be just productive enough to get in 10.5 miles today.  It snowed the whole time but luckily the weather has been warm enough the past few days that nothing stuck to the sidewalks or streets.  It was cold and windy but at least it wasn't slushy or slippery.

Hope everyone has a fun-filled weekend!

2012-02-10 5:00 PM
in reply to: #4038393

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
coolgenes - 2012-02-09 12:55 PM
esc - 2012-02-09 9:21 AM

[

Joey, when is the tri you're training for? i.e. how many weeks do you have left for training? You training to compete or complete?

I still have plenty of time, i think..  My first race of the season will be in June.  I will either do a sprint near my house or fly to SoCal for an Oly, if my friend can who lives there can do it with me.  Either way it's June.  I will do another Oly in August and then half mary in Sept and then the HIM in Oct. 

This weekend, I plan to upgrade to the silver plan and do the oly plan then up it to the HIM in June.  This Q&A link from the plan details was very helpful, they describe many things I'm probably doing wrong currently

http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=629

What do you think?

2012-02-11 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4041185

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
That sounds like a good plan!  For the time being I would focus on getting in consistent workouts so you're ready to rock and roll on the Oly plan when the time comes. 
2012-02-11 2:15 PM

Middle Tennessee

Day 23 of mystery cold, that I have named the bat flu.  It's a reference to Contagion, which I rented while I was sick.  I think that I am finally on the tail end of it, and should be back to 100% in a couple of days.  I really feel much better than I have in a long time.

I ran ~5 miles yesterday.  Easy pace, but I could tell my running fitness has started to suffer from the sporadic training.  I ran around the college campus that I attended 15ish years ago.  It was a lot of fun, but I didn't recognize most of it.  And I felt old.   It's one thing when high school students look like babies, it's entirely another thing when students look like babies....

I got on the bike trainer today - 8 degree wind chill is very much out of my comfort zone.  I did  1 1/2 hrs, and felt really good on it.  I did some strength training on Monday, and I may have over done it on the squats - I couldn't walk for 2 days.  But the good news out of the that is I saw dramatic improvement in the ease of biking.  I didn't want to get off the trainer in the first 5 minutes!!!  In fact, I didn't have any muscle soreness at all.  So weight lifting class is going into regular rotation. I can't believe the amount of improvement in the bike that I saw from it.

Hope everyone else is having a good day - stay warm if you are in this cold snap! 

2012-02-12 7:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
I'm not as lucky as you all so even though it was in the high 30s I went out. you know what, those Tri-Flys have great ventilation. Next time it is this cold I'm going to have to tape up the bottom hole and hopefully get some shoe covers because I had to give up after only 14 miles. I was stomping on the pedals trying to feel my toes. I know you can't get frost bite from temps this warm but I don't think it is good to keep pedaling when you can't feel your toes. I gave up, maybe grab some more miles later this week. I was careful to stay balanced and while that thing on my left calf isn't completely gone its minor at best now. I think it was just my warning that I'm still base building at this point. Did you all see Lance got 2nd! he's the same age as I am, it's amazing that he is still that good!
2012-02-13 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4042171

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
KatNWater - 2012-02-11 3:15 PM

Day 23 of mystery cold, that I have named the bat flu.  It's a reference to Contagion, which I rented while I was sick.  I think that I am finally on the tail end of it, and should be back to 100% in a couple of days.  I really feel much better than I have in a long time.

I ran ~5 miles yesterday.  Easy pace, but I could tell my running fitness has started to suffer from the sporadic training.  I ran around the college campus that I attended 15ish years ago.  It was a lot of fun, but I didn't recognize most of it.  And I felt old.   It's one thing when high school students look like babies, it's entirely another thing when students look like babies....

I got on the bike trainer today - 8 degree wind chill is very much out of my comfort zone.  I did  1 1/2 hrs, and felt really good on it.  I did some strength training on Monday, and I may have over done it on the squats - I couldn't walk for 2 days.  But the good news out of the that is I saw dramatic improvement in the ease of biking.  I didn't want to get off the trainer in the first 5 minutes!!!  In fact, I didn't have any muscle soreness at all.  So weight lifting class is going into regular rotation. I can't believe the amount of improvement in the bike that I saw from it.

Hope everyone else is having a good day - stay warm if you are in this cold snap! 

Glad you're finally feeling better.  It's the pits to be sickly for so long.  Take it easy getting back into things.  Any fitness you may have lost will come back pretty quickly so don't worry too much about the missed training.

2012-02-13 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4043550

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

coolgenes - 2012-02-12 8:18 PM I'm not as lucky as you all so even though it was in the high 30s I went out. you know what, those Tri-Flys have great ventilation. Next time it is this cold I'm going to have to tape up the bottom hole and hopefully get some shoe covers because I had to give up after only 14 miles. I was stomping on the pedals trying to feel my toes. I know you can't get frost bite from temps this warm but I don't think it is good to keep pedaling when you can't feel your toes. I gave up, maybe grab some more miles later this week. I was careful to stay balanced and while that thing on my left calf isn't completely gone its minor at best now. I think it was just my warning that I'm still base building at this point. Did you all see Lance got 2nd! he's the same age as I am, it's amazing that he is still that good!

It's C-O-L-D on a bike when it gets below about 60*.  For winter-time rides you can either put duct tape over the ventillation on your shoes or you can put some plastic bags over your socks and then shove your feet into your shoes.  Wool socks are also a big help.  They'll keep your feet dry and warm.  Even wet wool will be warm and toasty.

Lance is a beast.  On top of his amazing athletic ability, he works extremely hard to be good at what he does.  But then, the best of the best are always dedicated.  That's how they get to be the best of the best!

2012-02-13 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

It was quiet in here over the weekend.  Everyone must have been out training hard and playing harder!  I was stuck at work all weekend so I've not done much but work, eat, sleep, and run on the treadmill.  Today is the last day of my set.  Friday on a Monday.  I've got the next 3 days off and plan to make the most of them.  I've got lots of little things around the house that are piling up.  I hope to check lots of to-do's off the list.  I also hope to get in some good running and maybe even a little biking. 

I've resigned myself to the fact that when I'm doing lots of running it's hard to fit in any biking and swimming.  My goal for the remainder of the month is to stick to my running milage and figure out how to fit in 3 bike sessions a week.  I hate to admit it, but I think it's going to take getting up super early on at least one of my work days.  3am wakeup call hear I come!  Once I get bike workouts solidly in the mix then I'll start looking at how to fit swimming in with all the rest.  Maybe I should just be a duathlete!

What's everyone else got going on this week?  Any big goals?  Any big plans?  Anyone racing?

2012-02-13 1:42 PM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

I am home the entire week - super big yay!!!  I couldn't drag myself out of bed this morning for my swim, so I really need to sneak out of the house this afternoon and get it in.  Can't start the first day of the week off on a bad note.   

Eating has been spot on today, looking for a GREAT week of training and eating.  Well I did some research on the Paleo diet on the web last night and feel this will be way to hard to accommodate while traveling and something that will be way to hard to stick to for the long haul.  So, I will stick to what I know works and try to cut back on processed whole wheat carbs (cereals, bagels, breads).  I just simply can't walk away from whole wheat rice and oatmeal!   

2012-02-13 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4045044

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Joeyj1974 - 2012-02-13 2:42 PM

I am home the entire week - super big yay!!!  I couldn't drag myself out of bed this morning for my swim, so I really need to sneak out of the house this afternoon and get it in.  Can't start the first day of the week off on a bad note.   

Eating has been spot on today, looking for a GREAT week of training and eating.  Well I did some research on the Paleo diet on the web last night and feel this will be way to hard to accommodate while traveling and something that will be way to hard to stick to for the long haul.  So, I will stick to what I know works and try to cut back on processed whole wheat carbs (cereals, bagels, breads).  I just simply can't walk away from whole wheat rice and oatmeal!   

Enjoy your week at home.  How frequently do you generally have to travel for work?

I think the best thing we can all do for our eating is to just focus on eating more whole foods and take a good hard look at portions.  I still eat carbs with most of my meals but I've cut back considerably on the portion size of those carbs.  Instead of having pasta with chicken and veggies on the side I eat veggies and chicken with pasta on the side.  I still have beer and pizza and burgers and fries but I only indulge once every week or two (or at the very least I'll make the pizza and burgers and fries myself so I can control what goes in them).  Healthy food can still be fun and delicious.

2012-02-14 11:28 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
Happy Valentines Day to everyone!!

Got a great 2 mile run & spin class in first thing this morning. Giving my own heart some lovin' on Valentines Day It feels so good to start the day out by getting my workout in. I need to really focus on this for the rest of the week. Get that morning mojo going again. This week for sure is feeling great being home for a change. I will try to get back in the pool this afternoon if time permits. Yesterdays swim did not feel good for some reason. Might be the slight head cold I'm fighting.

Meal Plan for Today:
M1 Post workout protein shake (done)
M2 Banana (done)
M3 2 Grilled fish tacos and salad
M4 Banana
M5 Grilled Chicken breast & steamed veggies

2012-02-14 11:31 AM

Middle Tennessee

Joey - loving the eating plan!

I need to get serious.  I think I said that about 3 weeks ago, but the bat flu wiped out all productivity.

I need to get on the trainer today.  I spend the morning working on my Cub Scout lesson plan - which seems to have derailed my day...

2012-02-14 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4045523

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
esc - 2012-02-13 4:29 PM
Joeyj1974 - 2012-02-13 2:42 PM

Enjoy your week at home.  How frequently do you generally have to travel for work?

To answer your question, I'm usually out three weeks a month.  I usually travel Mon - Thurs or Tues - Fri.  Long enough to make it hard to make sure I eat properly and get in my planned workouts. 

2012-02-14 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Haapy Valentines Day to everyone. 

So far my training 'plan' has been working out OK.  I don't always follow it, but it motivates me do do SOMETHING.  Diet/calorie watch has been going well.  I'm down to 154 and not really sacrificing any beer. 

Anybody ever read or tried 'The Time Crunched Triathlete' by Chris Carmichael.  He makes good sence, but MAN you gotta be going full-tilt on every workout.  You also don't get much liberty to miss a workout.  I might give it a try for awhile, but I'm questioning my ability to stay in a plan that soooo rigid. 

2012-02-14 5:14 PM
in reply to: #4047595

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
jeffnboise - 2012-02-14 4:14 PM

Anybody ever read or tried 'The Time Crunched Triathlete' by Chris Carmichael.  He makes good sence, but MAN you gotta be going full-tilt on every workout.  You also don't get much liberty to miss a workout.  I might give it a try for awhile, but I'm questioning my ability to stay in a plan that soooo rigid. 

I have that one on my to read list as well.  Not training books, but I also have my eye on Iron War and 17 hours to Glory.  I usually read David Baldacci or something in those lines.. 

2012-02-14 7:40 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
jeffnboise - 2012-02-14 5:14 PM

So far my training 'plan' has been working out OK.  I don't always follow it, but it motivates me do do SOMETHING.  Diet/calorie watch has been going well.  I'm down to 154 and not really sacrificing any beer. 

I have a really hard time following a structured plan.  Part of the trouble is that I work a non-traditional schedule so I always have to move workouts around to fit with my free time.  I've done really well with a loose set of constraints - such as basic milage goals for the week or X number of sessions on the trainer - then I sit down at the start of the week and plug in the workouts around my work scheudle.  This is especially refreshing during the winter.  It's easy to be easy when I'm not doing any specific race prep.  This willy-nilly approach doesn't work for everyone.  Some folks need a structured plan to get them out the door and to the starting line.  Some of us just get out there every day so we don't have to feel so guilty about the beer and doughnuts.

2012-02-14 7:47 PM
in reply to: #4047726

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Joeyj1974 - 2012-02-14 6:14 PM
jeffnboise - 2012-02-14 4:14 PM

I have that one on my to read list as well.  Not training books, but I also have my eye on Iron War and 17 hours to Glory.  I usually read David Baldacci or something in those lines.. 

Just a few more books to add to your possible reading list...

-Once a Runner - John L. Parker (fictional account of a college miler)
-Swimming to Antartica - Lynne Cox (Lynne is a long distance swimmer who does some crazy long swims in crazy cold waters.  The book is really well written and she has such a infectiosly positive attitude that I read it nearly in one sitting.)
-I'm Here to Win - Chris McCormick (Macca is a bit of a polarizing personality but I still really liked this book.  Lots of interesting tid-bits about training and racing.)

2012-02-14 9:20 PM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
I'm officially a Silver Member now.  Now to figure out how to import a training plan. 
2012-02-14 9:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
jeffnboise - 2012-02-14 5:14 PM

That's the book that got me here. It worked for Lance on the bike it must have something to it. I really like all the science explanations, he doesn't dumb it down at all. No shortcuts either. But the best part is 8 hours or less per week to be competitive and he explains how its possible. Ill start my Carmichael plan towards the beginning of March, still haven't figured it out precisely but I did register 2 nights ago!

2012-02-14 9:28 PM

User image

Regular
NWA
Well gang...i hate to admit this but I think I may have plantar fasciitis...all my Internet research leads me to this conclusion. I will schedule an appt with a doc. Not sure how this will fit into my training plan. I can't quit. Maybe lots more swimming??? Please keep your fingers crossed that I've completely misdiagnosed myself, as I'm finally feeling good about running again!!Thanks goonies...happy heart day!Tammy
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  

of 23