BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 78

2012-04-21 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4164184

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: RE: Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED
Thanks for all the biking tips. I'll take them to heart.

I had two runs today. Fisrt a 13 mile z2, then 1 mile pacing my 6 year old in his 1st race. You can imagine which was more fun!

2012-04-21 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4162320

User image

Veteran
Georgia
bdenehy - 2012-04-20 9:08 AM I've got a question for those of you that ride tri bikes. How long/at what speed do you stay on your aerobars?

Background - i switched to a carbon tri bike in December from my steel roadie that was too big for me to begin with. On my first ride on the new bike I crashed, putting myself out of commission for a little while (separated shoulder). I didnt crash on the aerobars, it happened when i hit a patch of ice on a curving downhill and panicked. Once i healed up i spent a decent amount of time on the aerobars while on the trainer, so its comfortable enough, physically.

Now I am back outside, but a little gun shy. I get back on the horns(?) 1)when i hear approaching traffic, 2)when the road gets rough, and 3) on almost any decline that leaves me doing 25-30 mph or more. I know this is subjective, but when do YOU get in position to break? I know im leaving a lot of time on the table on downhills. On the bright side, between my new bike being 10lbs lighter than my last and me being 5lbs lighter than last year, i seem to be getting UP my hills 15-20% faster, which may not pick up too much time, but leaves a lot more gas in the tank.

Thanks, and Happy Training!

I ride mostly in the aero except out of transition area..Last year HIM I averaged 22 for 56 miles and was in aero 95% of the time. When I ride in aero my heart rate is like 20-30 bpm lower than when I ride up or my road bike.. Top speed last year was over 40 mph downhill in Chattanooga and I stayed in aero..

2012-04-21 1:13 PM
in reply to: #4124117

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Happy Weekend to all..Good luck to those racing. Got a five mile run in this morning, then coached my son's soccer game.Looking to get an open water swim in or hit the road with the tri bike decked out. Everyone keep up the nice work.

2012-04-21 5:06 PM

User image

Master
Sin City

First race of the year...CHECK!!  The transition area was seriously LONG!! 1/4 mile from swim to "start" of Transition area, and another 1/4 to MY bike, then another 1/4 to mount/dismount area. 

RR will come up soon...need to get my splits! 

Swim - Wasn't bad actually. I know I need to get in some more pool time, but I'm surprised at how I did despite the lack of training.  I didn't do WELL, but I'm satisfied!

Bike - Not bad. Wasn't expecting the 8% grade hill climb though. I was really hoping to PR on this especially from last year's fiasco (different tri - and partly was Volunteer's fault for texting and not pointing where I was supposed to go!)   Did poorly with hydration though...didn't realize it until I got back to my bike to find that I only drank 1/4 of it. No wonder why it felt like my energy got a little depleted on the run.

Run - ugh. 1 mile of it was very rocky, I didn't like it and felt like it wasn't even worth trying to push HARD especially with the fear of twisting my ankles. So I took it easier...but shockingly - best 5K in Sprint regardless, so I'm happy. I'll KILL it for IronGirl since that's all on pavement (slightly hilly, but it's PAVEMENT!)

Did not PR, but I had a GREAT time! More in RR! 

It was 105 about 1-2 hours after I finished. Hottest day of the year thus far. The Half was still on the course when I left...yikes.

Hope everyone else had a good race, and good luck to those that are racing tomorrow!

2012-04-21 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

I know there is a lot of people with races this weekend - good luck to all of you!!!! look forward to hearing all about them!

I got 62 miles in on the bike this week and on track to have the highest monthly bike volume ever!  Swim is also on track to be at or near the highest monthly volume as well! Ran for 11 minutes today - longest since October - foot is fair (icing now).

2012-04-21 5:59 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Hey Everyone,

New Orleans 70.3 is experiencing severe winds and they have already cancelled the swim. There is a video of the "bike out" and attached fencing being blown over. Carla is there and I really feel for her. I told her to be safe.  She has a date with Ironman CDA in a couple of months. Send positive thoughts her way. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be.

2012-04-21 6:04 PM
in reply to: #4164698

User image

Regular
Denver
Kath2163 - 2012-04-21 5:59 PM

Hey Everyone,

New Orleans 70.3 is experiencing severe winds and they have already cancelled the swim. There is a video of the "bike out" and attached fencing being blown over. Carla is there and I really feel for her. I told her to be safe.  She has a date with Ironman CDA in a couple of months. Send positive thoughts her way. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be.

<3 U Renshaw!!!

2012-04-21 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4164653

User image

Master
Sin City
robingray_260 - 2012-04-21 3:08 PM

I know there is a lot of people with races this weekend - good luck to all of you!!!! look forward to hearing all about them!

I got 62 miles in on the bike this week and on track to have the highest monthly bike volume ever!  Swim is also on track to be at or near the highest monthly volume as well! Ran for 11 minutes today - longest since October - foot is fair (icing now).

WHOO WEE!!! Congrats on the bike volume!

Take care of the foot!! :-)

2012-04-21 6:56 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Kath2163 - 2012-04-21 3:59 PM

Hey Everyone,

Oooh. Where's the video?

Sounds like the Leadman Triathlon that I volunteered for, which reminds me, I'll have to show a picture with all the bikes on the ground because the winds were so strong that it blew over the racks and the bikes. 

Carla - I know you probably had HIGH hopes for this Tri.  If you do the bike, and the winds are getting you down, it's not the time to HTFU...it's OKAY to bow out, we'll still love you the same. Your IM CdA is more important, me thinks.

*sending lots of hugs your way*

2012-04-21 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4164750

User image

Veteran
Georgia
CyborgQueen - 2012-04-21 7:56 PM

Hey Everyone,

Oooh. Where's the video?

Sounds like the Leadman Triathlon that I volunteered for, which reminds me, I'll have to show a picture with all the bikes on the ground because the winds were so strong that it blew over the racks and the bikes. 

Carla - I know you probably had HIGH hopes for this Tri.  If you do the bike, and the winds are getting you down, it's not the time to HTFU...it's OKAY to bow out, we'll still love you the same. Your IM CdA is more important, me thinks.

x2 On the above..

Congrats Cyborg on your event today...Can't wait to read the RR

2012-04-21 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4164777

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2012-04-21 8:23 PM
CyborgQueen - 2012-04-21 7:56 PM

Hey Everyone,

Oooh. Where's the video?

x2 On the above..

Congrats Cyborg on your event today...Can't wait to read the RR

X's 3! I saw Carla posted about that on her face book page! Carla, I know it is though to make the travel and have weather issues, just keep an eye on the big picture! Best wishes!

2012-04-21 7:33 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2012-04-21 6:59 PM

Hey Everyone,

Happy Birthday Kathleen! I hope it was a great day!
2012-04-21 7:34 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
DJ- GREAT Job on the race!

Robin- heck of a lot of volume there. WAY TO GO!

Carla- Stay safe out there! No PRs today, but quite an accomplishment just to finish in those conditions. Hope your Hangin in!
2012-04-21 7:35 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
HBD Katleen!
2012-04-21 7:36 PM
in reply to: #4164777

User image

Regular
Denver

You guys are so amazing!!!  ::: Tearing up ...::: 

Video:  70.3 New Orleans - http://youtu.be/DgH3dr-QTnA

Windy conditions have dampened my spirit... trying to settle in and prepare to do my best...  Problem is, my heart isn't in it.   

~Carla

Edited by CarlaLThompson 2012-04-21 7:40 PM
2012-04-21 8:16 PM
in reply to: #4164793

Rochester

So, the past few days have been busy for me. Have done a fair amount of driving going to get my youngest daughter. I am very happy to have her with me this weekend. I miss her everytime she is not with me. Even though my divorce was over 6 years ago the only thing that I have never been able to adjust to is not having my kids with me. Spending the last few days of my son living with me until he moves to Burlington VT. Please don't tell him but I will miss him big time. Gave him a little party yesterday for leaving and he appreciated it.

OK now all the sappy stuff is out of the way...

Carla, I am sorry you are having a crappy time w/ the weather. My heart goes out for you. If it matters I am proud of you because you are out there doing it and that is more than most people in the world.

Cyborg, congrats on your event also. Huge ovation goes out to you!

Training...So the past couple of days have been rough. I experienced a slight flair up of my rheumatoid arthritis in my right ankle, but it is gone now, unfortunately the increase in the methotrexate made me TIRED as hell. Running SUCKED, didn't get as far as I wanted. Having a slight problem with my bike that I will take to the shop on monday to figure it out. For some reason, my tire is bulging and it was the inner tube that was causing it, got a new one and replaced it myself, first time doing it and still have all my fingers and no extra parts LOL, but it is bulging in another area. Not sure why so will find out monday.

Food...Well the food has been off the past few days d/t the 1)lack of planning on my part and 2)parties. I've come to learn a very valuable lesson that I cannot have cake in my house. In fact I got nauseated on it and then just ate too much which caused the first part. Lesson learned. If anything I will do cupcakes the next time because I can limit the amount of cupcakes easier then cake.

The funny thing was I was laying there thinking crap I am so nauseated I can't do this to myself, reminded me of drinking when I was younger.

I have a question that I need answered. This weekend I have a 20 mile bike ride as part of a team duathlon. What should I be doing exercise wise? I know I shouldn't overdue it but just not sure how much to do.

Sorry for rambling!

2012-04-21 9:11 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2012-04-21 6:08 PM

Great riding this week Robin! Keep it up!
2012-04-21 9:12 PM
in reply to: #4164651

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CyborgQueen - 2012-04-21 6:06 PM

First race of the year...CHECK!!  The transition area was seriously LONG!! 1/4 mile from swim to "start" of Transition area, and another 1/4 to MY bike, then another 1/4 to mount/dismount area. 

Swim - Wasn't bad actually. I know I need to get in some more pool time, but I'm surprised at how I did despite the lack of training.  I didn't do WELL, but I'm satisfied!

Bike - Not bad. Wasn't expecting the 8% grade hill climb though. I was really hoping to PR on this especially from last year's fiasco (different tri - and partly was Volunteer's fault for texting and not pointing where I was supposed to go!)   Did poorly with hydration though...didn't realize it until I got back to my bike to find that I only drank 1/4 of it. No wonder why it felt like my energy got a little depleted on the run.

Run - ugh. 1 mile of it was very rocky, I didn't like it and felt like it wasn't even worth trying to push HARD especially with the fear of twisting my ankles. So I took it easier...but shockingly - best 5K in Sprint regardless, so I'm happy. I'll KILL it for IronGirl since that's all on pavement (slightly hilly, but it's PAVEMENT!)

It was 105 about 1-2 hours after I finished. Hottest day of the year thus far. The Half was still on the course when I left...yikes.

Hope everyone else had a good race, and good luck to those that are racing tomorrow!

Super start to the season DJ! Nice!
2012-04-21 9:14 PM
in reply to: #4164836

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
peterflagg - 2012-04-21 9:16 PM

So, the past few days have been busy for me. Have done a fair amount of driving going to get my youngest daughter. I am very happy to have her with me this weekend. I miss her everytime she is not with me. Even though my divorce was over 6 years ago the only thing that I have never been able to adjust to is not having my kids with me. Spending the last few days of my son living with me until he moves to Burlington VT. Please don't tell him but I will miss him big time. Gave him a little party yesterday for leaving and he appreciated it.

OK now all the sappy stuff is out of the way...

Carla, I am sorry you are having a crappy time w/ the weather. My heart goes out for you. If it matters I am proud of you because you are out there doing it and that is more than most people in the world.

Cyborg, congrats on your event also. Huge ovation goes out to you!

Training...So the past couple of days have been rough. I experienced a slight flair up of my rheumatoid arthritis in my right ankle, but it is gone now, unfortunately the increase in the methotrexate made me TIRED as hell. Running SUCKED, didn't get as far as I wanted. Having a slight problem with my bike that I will take to the shop on monday to figure it out. For some reason, my tire is bulging and it was the inner tube that was causing it, got a new one and replaced it myself, first time doing it and still have all my fingers and no extra parts LOL, but it is bulging in another area. Not sure why so will find out monday.

Food...Well the food has been off the past few days d/t the 1)lack of planning on my part and 2)parties. I've come to learn a very valuable lesson that I cannot have cake in my house. In fact I got nauseated on it and then just ate too much which caused the first part. Lesson learned. If anything I will do cupcakes the next time because I can limit the amount of cupcakes easier then cake.

The funny thing was I was laying there thinking crap I am so nauseated I can't do this to myself, reminded me of drinking when I was younger.

I have a question that I need answered. This weekend I have a 20 mile bike ride as part of a team duathlon. What should I be doing exercise wise? I know I shouldn't overdue it but just not sure how much to do.

Sorry for rambling!

Hang in there Peter! You'll have successes and a few set backs! don't beat yourself up over it and you will be ok.
2012-04-21 10:37 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
robingray_260 - 2012-04-21 4:08 PM

Robin,

Nice going! Glad to read that you are able to run more.

2012-04-21 10:37 PM
in reply to: #4164793

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
CarlaLThompson - 2012-04-21 7:36 PM

You guys are so amazing!!!  ::: Tearing up ...::: 

Video:  70.3 New Orleans - http://youtu.be/DgH3dr-QTnA

Windy conditions have dampened my spirit... trying to settle in and prepare to do my best...  Problem is, my heart isn't in it.   

~Carla

Carla - thinking of you!!!!  take care out there!

2012-04-21 10:38 PM
in reply to: #4164884

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
kenj - 2012-04-21 8:12 PM
CyborgQueen - 2012-04-21 6:06 PM

Super start to the season DJ! Nice!

X2! Great job!

2012-04-21 10:39 PM
in reply to: #4164787

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
kenj - 2012-04-21 6:33 PM
Kath2163 - 2012-04-21 6:59 PM

Hey Everyone,

Happy Birthday Kathleen! I hope it was a great day!

Thanks Ken!

2012-04-21 10:40 PM
in reply to: #4164790

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Meulen - 2012-04-21 6:35 PM HBD Katleen!

Thanks!

2012-04-21 10:43 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Happy Birthday Kathleen - I hope you are enjoying it!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 78