BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-01-03 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4559510

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed
thor67 - 2013-01-03 8:22 AM

First run of the year this morning. A little faster then I should have been going but when there is someone else on the track....well, I couldn't let him pass me could I? Smile

4 miles and change then 5 minutes on the rowing machine which was my friend during the height of my weight loss...5 minutes of torture this morning. I love it and hate it at the same time!

Anybody up for a 30/30 challenge? 30 S/B/R workouts in January. Minimum 20 minutes/workout?(note: not 30 of each, 30 total)

Oh Thor u know what moves me.... a nice challenge, bring it!

2013-01-03 6:23 PM
in reply to: #4558609

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Qua17 - 2013-01-02 3:07 PM
jlangene - 2013-01-02 11:55 AM

Ok so after 4 days of slacking, it is time for me to get back on track.  It is very hard spending time at Mom's house and not eating all of the great things she cooked.  This didn't help especially when combined with the inactivity.  Had a great visit though and really enjoyed spending time with family.  Oh well, time to get serious and get back at it.  I have 74 days to prepare for the longest hike I have ever taken and as a motivator, I am not going to drink alcohol until I lose twenty pounds or finish the Bataan, whichever comes first. 

Goals for the week (late i know)

• Wed - 30 minute jog
  • Thurs - Brick
  • Fri - 50 minute jog
  • Sat - rest (working 24 hr shift hard to get in a workout)
  • Sun - 15 mile bike
  • log everything I eat and stick to diet plan

Jared - I love how hard core you are!  Your plan for the week is just what you need to get back on track.  Hell - we would all benefit from that workout.

I hear what you are saying about beer and not having any until you lose 20 pounds.  If you can stick to such a plan - then more power to you.  I however am not that strong. For me - it's all about sustainability.  I can't sustain not drinking for the time it would take to lose 20 pounds.  You may want to change the way you look at beer.  Thor and kevin have talked about controllng their consumption by ony putting 1 or two beers in the fridge at a time and using those cold ones as motivation for accomplishing your goals - liker getting ready for the Death March (what a cool name for a race.)  Having said that - I encourage you to find what works for you.  And finally - let us know how we can support you!

Ok so a bit of a change in the schedule.  Today the shins were aching, probably because I used my old shoes yesterday (left the new shoes in the wifes car).  I decided to ride the bike the full hour and give the running legs a rest instead of doing the brick.  I will have to see how they are feeling tomorrow before doing the long run.  

2013-01-03 6:42 PM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Veteran
Dallas

Back from the tri shop. Fit seems best for either a Fuji D6 or Quintana Roo Kilo.

The Quintana Roo felt the best. It was highlighted in the digital Triathlete Special issue just out and listed as the best deal for those on a budget. The MRSP is $1800 and I can get this one for $1350 as a year end sale.

I can add Reynolds Strike Wheels for $1299. It seems crazy to spend that much on wheels but I have never had them. Anyone have fancy wheels?

Advice?

Edited by bobddsmd 2013-01-03 7:56 PM
2013-01-03 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Had two beers last night when I got home from hockey game after the free bee beers.  I'm now down to 1 22 oz. bottle of beer for the weekend.  Looking forward to it.  I haven't gone out looking, but may go by the beer store later in week to purchase a months supply of 22's. 

Rest day today after hockey game last night.  6.2 miler tomorrow followed by 9.5 miler on Saturday. 

2013-01-03 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Well, woke up this morning to a nauseous wife and a crying baby.... Goodbye swim!

Good news is that when I got to work my supervisor told me that the pool was closed anyways due to reduced holiday hours.

The pass is still burning a hole in my pocket though and I can't wait to get back in the water.
2013-01-03 7:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Home from soccer.  I think as the coach I get in more running than the kids sometimes.  Since I went hard yesterday and did a bit tonight gonna relax and give the legs a night off.  The weather should be nice tomorrow which means the pool will be open.  Let's see if I chicken out again.

2013-01-03 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4560958

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa
bobddsmd - 2013-01-03 7:42 PM

Back from the tri shop. Fit seems best for either a Fuji D6 or Quintana Roo Kilo.

The Quintana Roo felt the best. It was highlighted in the digital Triathlete Special issue just out and listed as the best deal for those on a budget. The MRSP is $1800 and I can get this one for $1350 as a year end sale.

I can add Reynolds Stike Wheels for $1299. It seems crazy to spend that much on wheels but I have never had them. Anyone have fancy wheels?

Advice?

I have a pair of Roadfox Wheels. They are 88's and the set was around $600. I met the owner Andy when he was at a local expo. He lives a little over an hour from me and builds up the wheels himself. I believe he buys them from overseas and then builds them but since he was willing to guarantee them for me for a year, mind you I was riding them at 285lbs, it was worth the purchase.  I can't afford Zipp max's nor do I want to.   He has a webpage- Roadfox.com and there are about 10 others in my tri club who purchased wheels. You can also have the Roadfox sticker in your choice of color.  Nice to match your bike.

I have a blue Cervelo so i matched my wheels to that. I ended up riding my roadbike during Tinman in Tupper Lake and you can see the picture under my photos. 

If you have questions about the build you can call Andy, that's what i did as I didn't want the wheel to disintergrate on me while flying 50mph down the hill in Lake Placid.

Edited by Cassady 2013-01-03 7:43 PM
2013-01-03 8:31 PM
in reply to: #4560512

User image

Expert

BigDH - 2013-01-03 2:57 PM what does running 70 miles a week get you? So I ran 70 miles a week for 7 weeks straight to get my stupid mileage goal for last year. That is about 15 miles a week more than I averaged up to that point. I did 2 solid interval sessions in the first two weeks and attempted 2 or 3 tempo runs which I failed at. For the last 5 weeks all I did was run. And run slow. Some runs were okay, about a 6:20 min pace for a 20k run or maybe a 5:40 for a 10k, but most were slower, like a 7:00 min pace for a 20k (that is 2 hours and 20 min for that run which is a long mother loving time). A lot of hour and 45 minute 16kms. So this is slow stuff I am doing here, even for me. So today I went out and killed it. 4 X 10 min tempo intervals with a 2 minute walk/jog break all done at 4:30/km. Hell yeah I did. I can’t believe it. After all that slow drudgery dragging my butt I thought I would never run fast again. Hot dang it. It wasn’t easy but it wasn’t super hard either. I am excited.

Don't forget to wash your cape when doing the wash this weekendWink  

2013-01-03 8:40 PM

New user

Hey Everyone!

Sorry, I have been a little quiet.  Darn work getting in the way.  

Today was an exhausting day, I spent most of the day walking, climbing ladders, squatting, and bending over.  Some days I get a work out at work - other days I am in front of the computer all day.  The good news is that I still rallied and managed to get my butt on my bike.  mental victory more than anything.  I'll catch up with everyone soon.  I am going to grab some hot tea and a bath and call it an early one. 

2013-01-03 8:43 PM

User image

Expert

You might have figured it out by now - but I'm a guy who likes beer.  So when I try a new beer, I make a record of it and give it a score from A+ to F.  I just finished compiling my list of the best and worst beers of 2012, which I will list below.  But this is what I want you to know: Last year, I tried 326 new beers and still managed to lose almost a hundred pounds.  So, use it to help you reach your goals too!  I can be done.

OK - here the list.  Let me know what you think (there are a lot of canadian beers in there from my summer beer tour)...

DQ’s Beer List 2013

Stats

326 New Beers Recorded

37 or 11% Received an A+

12 or 3% received a F

Best Beers of 2012

Maracaibo Especial by Jolly Pumpkin

Saison Brett by Boulevard

Oude Gueuze Tilquin à L'Ancienne by Gueuzerie Tilquin

Tripel Hop – Brouwerij Duvel

Coolship Resurgam by Allagash

Black by Allaagash

Prima Pils by Victory Brewing Company

Quad Reserve by Nightshift Brewing Co

Spontankriek by Mikkeller

Wheat is the New Hops by Mikkeller

Port Summer Pale Ale – Port Brewing Co.

The Beast Grand Cru by Mikkeller

Spontanframboos by Mikkeller

Posca Rustica - Brasserie Dupont

Lashes by Jack’s Abby

Whiteout Wit by Anchorage Brewing Co.

The Tide and It’s Takers by Anchorage Brewing Co.

Champêtre by Le Bilboquet, Brasseur Artisan

Session in the Rye by Lawson’s Finest Liquids

Péché Mortel by Dieu du Ciel

Solstice d’Été aux Cerises by Dieu du Ciel

Charbonnière by Dieu du Ciel

Pee Wee by Dieu du Ciel

Blanche du Paradis Dieu du Ciel

Mountain Standard by Odell Brewing Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale by Alltech Lexington Brewing Co.

Edel-Weisse Schneider Wiesen

St. Bernardus Abt 12 - Brouwerij St. Bernardus

Edelweiss by Hofbräu Kaltenhausen (Brau Union)

Hefeweissbier Weihenstephaner

Brau Weisse by Ayinger

Triple Play IPA

Triple Play IPA by Lawson’s Finest Liquids

Heady Topper by the Alchemist

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale - Terrapin Beer Company

Triple Horse by River Horse Brewing Co

Blonde Limes Et Gingembre by Le Barberie

Bad

Boom by Strakonice Brewery

Honey Brown Lager by Dundee Brewing Company

La Lièvre Évasion by Microbrasserie du Lièvre

Snow Cap by Pyramid

Transat - L'inox

Wild Blue by Anheuser-Busch

Summer Time Ale by Atwater Brewery

Shock Top Belgian White by Anheuser-Busch

Lemon Shandy by Anheuser Busch

Bud Light Platnium

Redbridge - Anheuser-Busch, Inc. – Worst Beer of the Year

O'Hara's Irish Red - Carlow Brewing Company

2013-01-03 9:02 PM
in reply to: #4561102

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa
Qua17 - 2013-01-03 9:43 PM

You might have figured it out by now - but I'm a guy who likes beer.  So when I try a new beer, I make a record of it and give it a score from A+ to F.  I just finished compiling my list of the best and worst beers of 2012, which I will list below.  But this is what I want you to know: Last year, I tried 326 new beers and still managed to lose almost a hundred pounds.  So, use it to help you reach your goals too!  I can be done.

OK - here the list.  Let me know what you think (there are a lot of canadian beers in there from my summer beer tour)...

DQ’s Beer List 2013

Stats

326 New Beers Recorded

37 or 11% Received an A+

12 or 3% received a F

OMG!!! I so wish my body could tolerate the calories from all that beer. I might just quite triathlon to compile my own list.  Getting thirsty just pouring (ha ha) over it. 

I was in Cleveland last year and spent a few nights at the Winking Lizard. I only covered about 30 of the beers there. Unfortunately, the longer I was there the more I liked what I was drinking. Didn't even think to create a list for future consumption. Kudos to you sir!

2013-01-03 9:35 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Qua17 - 2013-01-03 7:43 PM

You might have figured it out by now - but I'm a guy who likes beer.   QUOTE]

I am dumbounded. That is remarkable.

2013-01-03 10:31 PM
in reply to: #4560512

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

BigDH - 2013-01-03 12:57 PM  So today I went out and killed it. 4 X 10 min tempo intervals with a 2 minute walk/jog break all done at 4:30/km. Hell yeah I did. I can’t believe it. After all that slow drudgery dragging my butt I thought I would never run fast again. Hot dang it. It wasn’t easy but it wasn’t super hard either. I am excited.

Thanks for sharing this little gem here.  This is so inspiring right now and I needed to here this because I believe it can happen for me.  I'm building right now, and it's not glamorous, it hurts, and sometimes it's a drag, and am just at the beginning of this process.  But in May, when I'm flying across the bloomsday and windermere finish lines under my goal and sucking down my favorite personal record adult style barly pop, BOOM!

2013-01-04 4:39 AM
in reply to: #4561133

User image

Expert
Cassady - 2013-01-03 9:02 PM
Qua17 - 2013-01-03 9:43 PM

I was in Cleveland last year and spent a few nights at the Winking Lizard. I only covered about 30 of the beers there. Unfortunately, the longer I was there the more I liked what I was drinking. Didn't even think to create a list for future consumption. Kudos to you sir!

What were you doing in Cleveland?  That's my home town... If you ever do consider making a beer journal - I'd recommend using Evernote.  The feature I like best is that ever time you make a note - it records the geographic location so that when you go back to the bar, you can search to see what beers you enjoyed there previously.

2013-01-04 4:49 AM
in reply to: #4561370

User image

Expert

Good Morning Beer Drinkers: I got up early this morning to stretch and ice.  I stretch after every workout but I have found that getting an additional hour of stretching in a week has helped me to avoid injury.  I also make it my mission to ice about every other day.  Taking time at preventative maintenance will really help you avoid injury this season.

Here a stretching video for the ladies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUdIcogizUc

Andone for the men https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCg2UDQQPLI

2013-01-04 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4560958

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
bobddsmd - 2013-01-03 5:42 PM

I can add Reynolds Strike Wheels for $1299. It seems crazy to spend that much on wheels but I have never had them. Anyone have fancy wheels?

Advice?

Wheels...if you have the extra money lying around I say go for it. Or if you are a top 10 finisher looking for that little extra something to put you over the top and on to the podium.

I, myself, am no where near hitting the podium, MOP,  so the extra bit of time I may save just ain't worth it. I would be better off paying someone $1300 to use an electric cattle prod to make me work harder on my bike! 

I don't have the extra dough to buy a sweet set of wheels so I may just be a bitter middle age guy too. Smile

2013-01-04 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-01-03 7:43 PM

DQ’s Beer List 2013

Stats

326 New Beers Recorded

37 or 11% Received an A+

12 or 3% received a F

Best Beers of 2012

Maracaibo Especial by Jolly Pumpkin

Saison Brett by Boulevard

Oude Gueuze Tilquin à L'Ancienne by Gueuzerie Tilquin

Tripel Hop – Brouwerij Duvel

Coolship Resurgam by Allagash

Black by Allaagash

Prima Pils by Victory Brewing Company

Quad Reserve by Nightshift Brewing Co

Spontankriek by Mikkeller

Wheat is the New Hops by Mikkeller

Port Summer Pale Ale – Port Brewing Co.

The Beast Grand Cru by Mikkeller

Spontanframboos by Mikkeller

Posca Rustica - Brasserie Dupont

Lashes by Jack’s Abby

Whiteout Wit by Anchorage Brewing Co.

The Tide and It’s Takers by Anchorage Brewing Co.

Champêtre by Le Bilboquet, Brasseur Artisan

Session in the Rye by Lawson’s Finest Liquids

Péché Mortel by Dieu du Ciel

Solstice d’Été aux Cerises by Dieu du Ciel

Charbonnière by Dieu du Ciel

Pee Wee by Dieu du Ciel

Blanche du Paradis Dieu du Ciel

Mountain Standard by Odell Brewing Co.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale by Alltech Lexington Brewing Co.

Edel-Weisse Schneider Wiesen

St. Bernardus Abt 12 - Brouwerij St. Bernardus

Edelweiss by Hofbräu Kaltenhausen (Brau Union)

Hefeweissbier Weihenstephaner

Brau Weisse by Ayinger

Triple Play IPA

Triple Play IPA by Lawson’s Finest Liquids

Heady Topper by the Alchemist

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale - Terrapin Beer Company

Triple Horse by River Horse Brewing Co

Blonde Limes Et Gingembre by Le Barberie

Bad

Boom by Strakonice Brewery

Honey Brown Lager by Dundee Brewing Company

La Lièvre Évasion by Microbrasserie du Lièvre

Snow Cap by Pyramid

Transat - L'inox

Wild Blue by Anheuser-Busch

Summer Time Ale by Atwater Brewery

Shock Top Belgian White by Anheuser-Busch

Lemon Shandy by Anheuser Busch

Bud Light Platnium

Redbridge - Anheuser-Busch, Inc. – Worst Beer of the Year

O'Hara's Irish Red - Carlow Brewing Company

A trend perhaps?

I think most of the larger breweries don't have bad beer. Just beer that should be drank ice cold after:

A)first one after mowing grass, playing hockey, etc. down quick, thirst quencher.

B)After 3-4 good ones if you continue to drink....

C)in laws

D)friends and neighbors(those who don't appreciate a good brew)

2013-01-04 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4561078

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-01-03 7:31 PM

BigDH - 2013-01-03 2:57 PM what does running 70 miles a week get you? So I ran 70 miles a week for 7 weeks straight to get my stupid mileage goal for last year. That is about 15 miles a week more than I averaged up to that point. I did 2 solid interval sessions in the first two weeks and attempted 2 or 3 tempo runs which I failed at. For the last 5 weeks all I did was run. And run slow. Some runs were okay, about a 6:20 min pace for a 20k run or maybe a 5:40 for a 10k, but most were slower, like a 7:00 min pace for a 20k (that is 2 hours and 20 min for that run which is a long mother loving time). A lot of hour and 45 minute 16kms. So this is slow stuff I am doing here, even for me. So today I went out and killed it. 4 X 10 min tempo intervals with a 2 minute walk/jog break all done at 4:30/km. Hell yeah I did. I can’t believe it. After all that slow drudgery dragging my butt I thought I would never run fast again. Hot dang it. It wasn’t easy but it wasn’t super hard either. I am excited.

Don't forget to wash your cape when doing the wash this weekendWink  

Cape nothing, he is the Roadrunner!Wink

2013-01-04 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4561096

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
snarky - 2013-01-03 7:40 PM

Hey Everyone!

Sorry, I have been a little quiet.  Darn work getting in the way.  

Today was an exhausting day, I spent most of the day walking, climbing ladders, squatting, and bending over.  Some days I get a work out at work - other days I am in front of the computer all day.  The good news is that I still rallied and managed to get my butt on my bike.  mental victory more than anything.  I'll catch up with everyone soon.  I am going to grab some hot tea and a bath and call it an early one. 

Nice job on getting that bike in when you didn't feel like it. I think with exercise/training, the mental part is the toughest part, not the physical.

2013-01-04 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4560994

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Burd - 2013-01-03 6:23 PM Home from soccer.  I think as the coach I get in more running than the kids sometimes.  Since I went hard yesterday and did a bit tonight gonna relax and give the legs a night off.  The weather should be nice tomorrow which means the pool will be open.  Let's see if I chicken out again.

GET-IN-POOL and swim!

yeah, coaching younger kids is definitely a workout! Mentally and physically, but worth it in the end! Smile

2013-01-04 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4560929

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
jlangene - 2013-01-03 5:23 PM
Qua17 - 2013-01-02 3:07 PM
jlangene - 2013-01-02 11:55 AM

Ok so after 4 days of slacking, it is time for me to get back on track.  It is very hard spending time at Mom's house and not eating all of the great things she cooked.  This didn't help especially when combined with the inactivity.  Had a great visit though and really enjoyed spending time with family.  Oh well, time to get serious and get back at it.  I have 74 days to prepare for the longest hike I have ever taken and as a motivator, I am not going to drink alcohol until I lose twenty pounds or finish the Bataan, whichever comes first. 

Goals for the week (late i know)

• Wed - 30 minute jog
  • Thurs - Brick
  • Fri - 50 minute jog
  • Sat - rest (working 24 hr shift hard to get in a workout)
  • Sun - 15 mile bike
  • log everything I eat and stick to diet plan

Jared - I love how hard core you are!  Your plan for the week is just what you need to get back on track.  Hell - we would all benefit from that workout.

I hear what you are saying about beer and not having any until you lose 20 pounds.  If you can stick to such a plan - then more power to you.  I however am not that strong. For me - it's all about sustainability.  I can't sustain not drinking for the time it would take to lose 20 pounds.  You may want to change the way you look at beer.  Thor and kevin have talked about controllng their consumption by ony putting 1 or two beers in the fridge at a time and using those cold ones as motivation for accomplishing your goals - liker getting ready for the Death March (what a cool name for a race.)  Having said that - I encourage you to find what works for you.  And finally - let us know how we can support you!

Ok so a bit of a change in the schedule.  Today the shins were aching, probably because I used my old shoes yesterday (left the new shoes in the wifes car).  I decided to ride the bike the full hour and give the running legs a rest instead of doing the brick.  I will have to see how they are feeling tomorrow before doing the long run.  

Nice call on the bike. Better safe then sorry on the running!

2013-01-04 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4560701

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
SportzVision - 2013-01-03 3:13 PM
thor67 - 2013-01-03 8:22 AM

First run of the year this morning. A little faster then I should have been going but when there is someone else on the track....well, I couldn't let him pass me could I? Smile

4 miles and change then 5 minutes on the rowing machine which was my friend during the height of my weight loss...5 minutes of torture this morning. I love it and hate it at the same time!

Anybody up for a 30/30 challenge? 30 S/B/R workouts in January. Minimum 20 minutes/workout?(note: not 30 of each, 30 total)

Oh Thor u know what moves me.... a nice challenge, bring it!

You go girl! Smile

I knew I could count on you!

2013-01-04 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Got in another run this morning and a crushing 6 minute row...Wink

Going to try hop on the bike this aft to preburn a couple of Friday happy hour beers!

Have a great weekend everyone!

2013-01-04 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

6.2 miles done.  It wasn't pretty, but it's done.  9.5 tomorrow.  30/30  I'm in.

Have a great weekend all.

2013-01-04 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4561638

User image

Veteran
Dallas
thor67 - 2013-01-04 8:46 AM

Got in another run this morning and a crushing 6 minute row...Wink

Going to try hop on the bike this aft to preburn a couple of Friday happy hour beers!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Great job all! Your rowing in encouraging me to get on the machine. I was given a fairly good one for free (not a concept) and I am scarred of the thing. I have two competitive rowers living beside me.

Winking Lizard, remember that place fondly (did medical school and oral/maxillofacial surgery resident in Cleveland).

Cat woke me up at 04:30 this am. Therefore 3 mile run and 1550m swim (950m non-stop per training plan). I felt like quiting at about 600m. I have done 850 before but my legs were a little tired from the run right before. I had a few choices. I thought about quiting but pushed on. I am glad I did as it got better towards the end. I know that it is beneficial to push beyond the wall (excluding injury) during training but it can be tough!

Beer tonight to maybe celebrate a new tri bike.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97