in reply to: miche033

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open
Originally posted by miche033

Race report posted here

More later...

Well done! That is annoying about the timing error.

2013-07-15 9:06 PM
in reply to: Sarah73

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by Sarah73

Originally posted by Tri Rick Tri

Hi all

After reading through a couple of mentor groups, I find that I enjoyed reading the posts here the most. They are friendly, encouraging, and informative.
I know it is late in the season, but I am really looking to ramp up my training over this winter and wanted to join a group for encouragement purposes.

Am I able to join this group?
Will any of you train and stay active on the boards through the winter?

I will put up a bio once you guys let me know.

Thanks,
Rick

Hi Rick...of course you're welcome to join our group! We'd be happy to have you! I am doing an IM in Cozumel on 12/1/13, so I will be around, training, and relying on everyone here for support! Are you training for anything in particular?
Sarah

Welcome Rick! I'll be around even though I'm only running and not racing this year.
2013-07-15 9:11 PM

User image

Hey, hashers and mashers. I'm training for Sprint in September. Riding my hybrid Trek. Trying to push my pace on tonight's ride to see what I could top out at. No cyclometer so don't know my max speed. Averaged 16.4 mph on the road. Cadence felt like 90 to 100 rpm (compared to stationary bike). Gear 13 to 14 out of 21 most of the time. I have only been training for 6 weeks. Is that what I can expect to max on a hybrid? Curious to know the upper limits of my equipment. Thoughts/opinions?
2013-07-15 11:38 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Welcome Rick. Looking forward to getting to know you.

All - I had the worst swim ever today. I got to the lake at 8:15am and it was fairly calm, just a light chop but by the time my friends and I were entering the water the wind had picked up and it was building some waves. We all started swimming and within minutes I was having trouble breathing. My wetsuit felt tight around my chest and I was having trouble with my strokes. Plus the wind was picking up and my goggles were filling with water (I bought them about two months ago and they've never worked well and they're Aquasphere - not cheap).

I got out to about the 5th buoy (250m) and I just thought, "This is no fun and I don't want a lousy swim like this just a few days ahead of my A event." So I turned and headed back to the shore. Even on the way back I had trouble maintaining my strokes and had to alternate with some breaststroke.

By the time I got out of the water I saw other people aborting their swims as well which made me feel a bit better but I'm not sure why it happened. I swim here 3X/week and feel totally at home even in some choppy conditions.

Then I went for coffee with my friends and shortly after that I changed into my running gear for a short easy 30 minute run. Again, my HR felt higher than normal but I was able to run close to my typical pace.

Although it sounds and felt like a panic attack I sure hope it wasn't.

On a brighter note, I'm all packed and loaded and tomorrow morning my training buddy and I are heading south into Washington state in preparation for our event. I have been in the US before but this will be my longest and furthest trip into the US. I'll be taking my computer but I'm not sure how connected I'll be.
2013-07-16 4:27 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Regular
Baltimore, maryland
Thank you for the warm welcomes. I will try to be an active and helpful member.
2013-07-16 4:29 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Regular
Baltimore, maryland
Originally posted by PsyTri

Hey, hashers and mashers. I'm training for Sprint in September. Riding my hybrid Trek. Trying to push my pace on tonight's ride to see what I could top out at. No cyclometer so don't know my max speed. Averaged 16.4 mph on the road. Cadence felt like 90 to 100 rpm (compared to stationary bike). Gear 13 to 14 out of 21 most of the time. I have only been training for 6 weeks. Is that what I can expect to max on a hybrid? Curious to know the upper limits of my equipment. Thoughts/opinions?

I don't know if you have maxed out what the hybrid can do but 16mhp is pretty good. I know people on road bikes who don't do that well.

2013-07-16 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by wenceslasz  On a brighter note, I'm all packed and loaded and tomorrow morning my training buddy and I are heading south into Washington state in preparation for our event. I have been in the US before but this will be my longest and furthest trip into the US. I'll be taking my computer but I'm not sure how connected I'll be.

Have a great time!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Swim/bike/run your race. You're prepared! You're going to do great!

2013-07-16 10:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by PsyTri Hey, hashers and mashers. I'm training for Sprint in September. Riding my hybrid Trek. Trying to push my pace on tonight's ride to see what I could top out at. No cyclometer so don't know my max speed. Averaged 16.4 mph on the road. Cadence felt like 90 to 100 rpm (compared to stationary bike). Gear 13 to 14 out of 21 most of the time. I have only been training for 6 weeks. Is that what I can expect to max on a hybrid? Curious to know the upper limits of my equipment. Thoughts/opinions?

Was it a flat ride? In races I tend to be high 15's to high 16's. Usually I am flying by the hybrids. I am almost never passed by someone on a hybrid, and then when I am I manage to pass them back. So I'd be surprised if you could go much faster than that. Granted, it's a small sample size, and I don't really know the fitness of the people I'm passing.  (If you get a road bike, you will be able to go a lot faster, especially after training more.)

2013-07-16 10:53 AM

User image

Thanks for the perspective.

It's Florida so no hills, per se. That being said, there were several stretches that were inclines. 50% with a headwind.

No bike purchases planned. The hybrid is in good condition and has been tuned up. I have toe clips, which help. Wonder if there are some affordable upgrades like tires, chain, etc. to optimize the ride. Going to invest in a lighter, more aerodynamic helmet. Ideas?
2013-07-16 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by PsyTri Thanks for the perspective. It's Florida so no hills, per se. That being said, there were several stretches that were inclines. 50% with a headwind. No bike purchases planned. The hybrid is in good condition and has been tuned up. I have toe clips, which help. Wonder if there are some affordable upgrades like tires, chain, etc. to optimize the ride. Going to invest in a lighter, more aerodynamic helmet. Ideas?
You could get faster than that, but probably not much.  You're fighting an uphill battle.  I rode a hybrid for my first sprint and my first olympic.  For the olympic overall I finished something like 80/300 on the swim, 75/300 on the run, but 275/300 on the bike.  In my gender and age group, I finished second or third of around 10 on the swim and run, and dead last on the bike.  Wasn't even close, next slowest guy on the bike finished 15 minutes faster than me.  From what I could tell looking at the transition area I was one of only two people not on a road or tri bike.  And I worked harder and longer on the bike than the other guys so my legs were more toasted going into the run than theirs were.  I ride a mid to low end road bike now with some decent tires and a good saddle and aerobars, and clip in pedals, and I'm much better on the bike.  Even if I just had the stock road bike I'd be much better.

Just my $.02, which is worth about two pennies less than that. 

2013-07-16 2:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Welcome Rick. Looking forward to getting to know you.

All - I had the worst swim ever today. I got to the lake at 8:15am and it was fairly calm, just a light chop but by the time my friends and I were entering the water the wind had picked up and it was building some waves. We all started swimming and within minutes I was having trouble breathing. My wetsuit felt tight around my chest and I was having trouble with my strokes. Plus the wind was picking up and my goggles were filling with water (I bought them about two months ago and they've never worked well and they're Aquasphere - not cheap).

I got out to about the 5th buoy (250m) and I just thought, "This is no fun and I don't want a lousy swim like this just a few days ahead of my A event." So I turned and headed back to the shore. Even on the way back I had trouble maintaining my strokes and had to alternate with some breaststroke.

By the time I got out of the water I saw other people aborting their swims as well which made me feel a bit better but I'm not sure why it happened. I swim here 3X/week and feel totally at home even in some choppy conditions.

Then I went for coffee with my friends and shortly after that I changed into my running gear for a short easy 30 minute run. Again, my HR felt higher than normal but I was able to run close to my typical pace.

Although it sounds and felt like a panic attack I sure hope it wasn't.

On a brighter note, I'm all packed and loaded and tomorrow morning my training buddy and I are heading south into Washington state in preparation for our event. I have been in the US before but this will be my longest and furthest trip into the US. I'll be taking my computer but I'm not sure how connected I'll be.

I feel for you with the swim issue. I had a massive panic attack the day before Austin HIM last year in the water where we would be racing. Since I am prone to panic in open water it wasn't really a surprise, but I think if I hadn't gotten in the water the day before my swim would have been tragic on race day. If possible get out in the water where you'll be racing the day before the race...it really helps!! And remember, it can happen to anyone. Never in my life had I ever suffered from panic attacks, or even anxiety, until I started racing in open water! Do great and HAVE FUN!!

2013-07-16 8:17 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by PsyTri

Thanks for the perspective.

It's Florida so no hills, per se. That being said, there were several stretches that were inclines. 50% with a headwind.

No bike purchases planned. The hybrid is in good condition and has been tuned up. I have toe clips, which help. Wonder if there are some affordable upgrades like tires, chain, etc. to optimize the ride. Going to invest in a lighter, more aerodynamic helmet. Ideas?

Pump the tires up near their max pressure. The smoother the tread the better for tires.
2013-07-16 10:16 PM
in reply to: ransick

New user
Nice speed on a hybrid.

Did 3.8k swim today, total time about 2:02, last time I did it I was in the 2:10 range, so happy with the improvement, still a bit close to the cut-off though. Although the wetsuit should save me some time.

2013-07-17 9:49 AM
in reply to: kent2233

User image

Thanks for the ideas, perspective, and support.

I'm sticking with the hybrid for now, since this is my first foray into triathlon. Going to bring bike into shop in a couple weeks to see what they recommend. Could probably use some new tires, maybe a little thinner. Also going to have them re-lubricate all the components and see what else they can come up with (and then make sure that it makes sense, of course!).
2013-07-17 4:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

You could try clipless pedals. If you like them and want to cycle more, you can always move them to a different bike. Tires are smooth, I assume? If you can get smoother/thinner tires then do.` Your plan sounds like a good start. Should take you through this first race, no problem. When is the race again?

I also ride an entry-level road bike. I have put on a more expensive wheel set and some other little things. But I haven't spent a ton on the bike. I just ogle other people's bikes.

Enjoy!

R

2013-07-17 5:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey gang,

WOW, if this group gets any bigger, we'll have to switch are name to Glyde's & Athena's, (just kidding) So awesome there are so many that like our group. Welcome to all.

I volunteered at the NYC triathlon expo on Friday night so I can guarantee registration for next year. In addition I may be organizing a Charity Partnership for that race next year. If and when it becomes official, I let you know.

This weekend was my other tri, skipping that because of lack of swimming and more (Mike knows) But I'm volunteering this weekend too.

The good news: I just registered for the Space Coast Half Marathon on December 1st in Cocoa, FL. Which will actually be my 54th birthday!

I'm can't believe I'm so psyched for this. Most of you know from our old group that I was NEVER a runner.

Good luck to everyone with Tri's still to come.

Tom
May the Legs be with YOU!

2013-07-17 6:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Swimming Feedback please???

I am currently trying to make small goals to make up for big goals. Right now i am trying to swim 550 yards straight without any breaks in free style.
This is my 4th week since I came back to the pool. Other than the drills(Zipper,sharkfin,kickboard,pull buoy_) i am also doing regular freestyle laps.
5- 4X25 yds in free style with 30 sec breaks every 100 (4X25) , I normally start out ok with the first 4X25 then i run short of breath and breathing every 2 strokes then i go pull breast strokes. Then i end up 50/50 breast pulls and Free style. I am wondering if this is just normal. I know i have to try to lessen my breast pulls. I get to finish the 5- 4X25 but with breast pulls. I can do 100%Freestyle in 500 yards if i do 10-2X25 yards with 30 sec. breaks.

My first Oly event is in 60 days even though its wetsuit legal i want to accomplish atleast 2000 yards in 1 hour. I can imagine myself during the event i am going to start out with freestyle and then do breast pulls from time to time then in the last 750m as if my life depends on it do freestyle or bp whatever it takes to get to dry land.

Let me know what can help me .

Edited by strykergt 2013-07-17 6:37 PM
2013-07-17 8:32 PM

User image

Originally posted by miche033

You could try clipless pedals. If you like them and want to cycle more, you can always move them to a different bike. Tires are smooth, I assume? If you can get smoother/thinner tires then do.` Your plan sounds like a good start. Should take you through this first race, no problem. When is the race again?

I also ride an entry-level road bike. I have put on a more expensive wheel set and some other little things. But I haven't spent a ton on the bike. I just ogle other people's bikes.

Enjoy!

R

Lots of ogling bikes here, too! The tires have some tread, but are not fat tires or anything. I'll give the clipless pedals a thought.

The Sprint is not until September 1. Feeling pretty good about it. Running in a local 5K tomorrow evening to help acclimate to exercising in a horde! Just had first swim lesson. Lots to work on, for sure!

Thanks for the support.
2013-07-17 8:37 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Originally posted by strykergt

I am currently trying to make small goals to make up for big goals. Right now i am trying to swim 550 yards straight without any breaks in free style.
This is my 4th week since I came back to the pool. Other than the drills(Zipper,sharkfin,kickboard,pull buoy_) i am also doing regular freestyle laps.
5- 4X25 yds in free style with 30 sec breaks every 100 (4X25) , I normally start out ok with the first 4X25 then i run short of breath and breathing every 2 strokes then i go pull breast strokes. Then i end up 50/50 breast pulls and Free style. I am wondering if this is just normal. I know i have to try to lessen my breast pulls. I get to finish the 5- 4X25 but with breast pulls. I can do 100%Freestyle in 500 yards if i do 10-2X25 yards with 30 sec. breaks.

My first Oly event is in 60 days even though its wetsuit legal i want to accomplish atleast 2000 yards in 1 hour. I can imagine myself during the event i am going to start out with freestyle and then do breast pulls from time to time then in the last 750m as if my life depends on it do freestyle or bp whatever it takes to get to dry land.

If a swim coach is possible, I recommend it. I had 1st lesson tonight and got a lot of good feedback on how I was swimming. With some practice, I think it will make the stroke more efficient.
2013-07-17 9:51 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
For those concerned about their Triathlon swim

Check out how nervous THIS guy is! ;-)

http://youtu.be/knHUFHyPbC0

Edited by oriolepwr 2013-07-17 9:55 PM
2013-07-17 10:20 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Yep, that is normal. Try using a pull buoy on the lengths you would normally breast stroke so you can keep doing freestyle. When using the buoy, keep your legs and feet together.

2013-07-17 11:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Thought for the day and what I found myself repeating over and over to keep me going during the last few miles today: it's not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to hurt. If it was easy they'd call it superhappyfuntime and everyone would do it.Was hoping to get to the stats today but work has been crazy. Hoping to get it done by end of Friday.

Edited by Fresno_Joe 2013-07-17 11:39 PM
2013-07-18 4:58 AM

User image

Regular
Baltimore, maryland
Where can I sign up for one of these "superhappyfuntime" races? I tried the link www.beginnersuperhappyfuntime.com but nothing was there.

Since I have had a three year layoff, one of those races might be more my speed.

Edited by Tri Rick Tri 2013-07-18 4:58 AM
2013-07-18 8:23 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Houston Swim Club has a location in Pearland. See how much it would cost to get a few lessons. http://www.houstonswimclub.com/price-policies.html.Should be right around the corner from you.

Also what I found with a lot of people that are getting short on breath is that they are trying to hard. What do I mean by that? I've learned over the years that the more you come one with the water and flow with the water the more efficient you become.

Some of your breathing problems could have to do with the way you exhale and how long your inhale phase is. When I first started to swim I used to just turn my head to the side and try to get a quick inhale. That's usually not enough. You somewhat have to roll your body to the side to give you a longer inhale period. Either way a swim coach would be best as he/she could quickly point out what needs the most improving.
2013-07-18 7:45 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Finished first 5k in over a decade (and my second ever!). Training paying off (physically and mentally). Finished 10/41 in my gender/age group, but more importantly, I met my goal of an average pace under 8 min/mile. 7:54/mile to be exact. Very happy. It was in the rain, with puddles!

Was a good experience performing alongside others. A good challenge to learn to stay in my own head. Although I'm not at the upper level (there were some really fit athletes/runners - even some pro runners), it's hard not to feel that competitive pull. I was able to pull back into my own head and focus on my pace and my own goals. Until the end, that is, when I wanted to pass as many others as I could.

As I was coming down the home stretch, I heard this guy coming up on me and grunting. I started sprinting, and he playfully yelled, "Come On," like a challenge. I blasted through the finish line first, and then quickly felt my calves seizing up! They are better now (somewhat), but it was worth it. I had no idea what my pace was, but I'm sure that the last push brought me under the 8 min mark I was seeking. Overall, a really good training experience.

Gary
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41