General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 193

2010-07-10 6:27 AM
in reply to: #2972217

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread
PennState - 2010-07-10 5:59 AM
JoshKaptur - 2010-07-10 5:27 AM I pee on the bike, but not in my shorts!  Although technically a violation of the rules, I'm a big fan of the make sure the coast is clear on a slight downhill hip rotation whip-it-out method.

You are a special boy aren't you Josh

That's what my mommy always tells me!

I have to admit I was quite proud the first time.

2010-07-10 6:46 AM
in reply to: #2972047

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
papson14 - 2010-07-09 10:24 PM

Monty - 2010-07-10 11:37 AM
PennState - 2010-07-09 9:14 PM br />
Ideally you should pee once per hour. I usually aim for 3 pees on a longer ride.

Soooooo? Who has learned to pee on the bike and plans to at LP?
I did several times in 08 but couldn't muster a drop today. Just one more reason to hope for a little rain.

I'll be peeing on the bike, because peeing your pants is the coolest.

If you say so Billy Madison. 

2010-07-10 6:49 AM
in reply to: #2971999

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Monty - 2010-07-09 9:35 PM OK...please no one freak out as it will be all ok and it is very manageable. The reason I am not happy with the new out and back is that it is more of a down and up. Elevation of Jay is 807 feet. Elevation of Ausable Forks is 550ft. It is not significant, but I could definately tell that the way out is faster than the return trip. Again, it is very very manageable...no freak outs. It just adds to the distance you will be climbing at the end of each loop. The other thing is the right hand turn is tighter to go back up 86 so you can't go in with any momentum like you could on the big sweeping left. Again....no freak outs....we can do this people! Just random thoughts after my ride today.

I think you'll also have a slight tail wind comming back from Ausable Forks.  Yes?

2010-07-10 7:01 AM
in reply to: #2337428

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York
Hey Josh, Monty, and Heiserman,
Were you taking extra electrolytes on your recent runs when the heat got you? If not and it's hot at LP, you might want to consider it. I sweat a lot and my sweat is very salty so I'm a big fan of Endurolytes.  I take varying amounts depending on how hot it is and how I feel--but usually if I start feeling nauseated and the thought of drinking water makes me want to puke, it means I need more salt/electrolytes. I take an endurolyte and in a short time I'm back in business.

There are lots of other brands, this is not a plug specifically for endurolytes, they're just the kind I use. Some people may not need them, but I've found that they really help me on those hot days.
2010-07-10 7:05 AM
in reply to: #2972254

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
..just another electrolyte push here from me.  When I did this race in 2007 (just to finish) I had a terrible run.  I ended up walking 7 miles in the middle. It was hot.  A friend came by me who was sucking on pretzels and suggested it.  The salt instantly made me perk up and I finished fine.  It didn't occur to me that I needed extra salt cos I had taken salt capsules on a schedule on the bike and was taking the GE, gels etc etc, just like I had trained with.  This time I will definitely be taking more, especially if it is hot.
2010-07-10 7:10 AM
in reply to: #2972249

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
OK let's add the peeing thing from the girls perspective too

Last time yes I did pee on the bike.  It took a while to find a place that was right and not many people around but you still feel self conscious.   I had practiced once in training so knew I could do it (it's actually quite hard to relax enough first time).
I found that I had to really chuck a lot of water onto my bike shorts afterwards to rinse off cos else it seemed to make me sore

This time I don't know. I don't want to have to stop BUT I am riding a different bike and my bento box doesn't fit at the front end of my top tube (wires in way) so I have to have it at the back end which is right under the saddle and I don't want to pee on my nutrition Undecided

2010-07-10 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Hey guys, I took a total of 8 Enduratlytes during my ride yesterday, drank 128oz of fluid and still was dehydrated. I have used the Enduralytes in the past and thought they were working for me...I think it was the humidity as the dew point was near 70 here yesterday. Just need to rethink on a humid day and maybe take in the fluids earlier instead of evenly.
2010-07-10 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
tasr - 2010-07-10 7:49 AM

Monty - 2010-07-09 9:35 PM OK...please no one freak out as it will be all ok and it is very manageable. The reason I am not happy with the new out and back is that it is more of a down and up. Elevation of Jay is 807 feet. Elevation of Ausable Forks is 550ft. It is not significant, but I could definately tell that the way out is faster than the return trip. Again, it is very very manageable...no freak outs. It just adds to the distance you will be climbing at the end of each loop. The other thing is the right hand turn is tighter to go back up 86 so you can't go in with any momentum like you could on the big sweeping left. Again....no freak outs....we can do this people! Just random thoughts after my ride today.

I think you'll also have a slight tail wind comming back from Ausable Forks.  Yes?

You bring up a good question. Actually it is the opposite. A headwind. You have the tailwind as you head from Keene to Jay and you just keep on going in that direction to Ausable Forks. I took note of that because after you turnaround it is basically the same direction you are heading as you climb back through the notch on 86 and that section gets a headwind as well. It is also a much more open road and not protected like Hazelton.

Edited by Monty 2010-07-10 7:30 AM
2010-07-10 7:31 AM
in reply to: #2972277

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Monty - 2010-07-10 8:27 AM

Actually it is the opposite. A headwind. I took note of that because it is basically the same direction you are heading as you climb back through the notch on 86 and that section gets a headwind as well.

Last year I remember a head wind going to Jay. 
2010-07-10 7:33 AM
in reply to: #2972276

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Monty - 2010-07-10 8:25 AM Hey guys, I took a total of 8 Enduratlytes during my ride yesterday, drank 128oz of fluid and still was dehydrated. I have used the Enduralytes in the past and thought they were working for me...I think it was the humidity as the dew point was near 70 here yesterday. Just need to rethink on a humid day and maybe take in the fluids earlier instead of evenly.

I drank 328oz on my ride yesterday.  Pee'ed once on the ride and at the the end with good color.   

2010-07-10 7:37 AM
in reply to: #2971970

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
PennState - 2010-07-09 9:14 PM

Ideally you should pee once per hour. I usually aim for 3 pees on a longer ride.

Soooooo? Who has learned to pee on the bike and plans to at LP?

Fred, serious question because; I aim not to pee but stay hydrated to the point of needing to pee.  So how do you come up with this?  I understand if you’re peeing you’re staying hydrated.

This has worked for me and my urine color is usually clear to slightly yellow, never dark.  After my ride I will usually pee with a slight color change.  I drink gallons of water through out the day. 

Another thing, sometimes I’ll have the urge to pee on a long ride then it goes away.  Does it re-absorb? 

2010-07-10 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
KWin - 2010-07-10 8:01 AM Hey Josh, Monty, and Heiserman,
Were you taking extra electrolytes on your recent runs when the heat got you? If not and it's hot at LP, you might want to consider it. I sweat a lot and my sweat is very salty so I'm a big fan of Endurolytes.  I take varying amounts depending on how hot it is and how I feel--but usually if I start feeling nauseated and the thought of drinking water makes me want to puke, it means I need more salt/electrolytes. I take an endurolyte and in a short time I'm back in business.

There are lots of other brands, this is not a plug specifically for endurolytes, they're just the kind I use. Some people may not need them, but I've found that they really help me on those hot days.

Not to hijack. 

I use Shot Blocks Margarita w/3x sodium.  Tastes bad,  but tastes doesn't matter to me.

If you "sweat a lot and my sweat is very salty" isn't that too much sodium?

Edited by tasr 2010-07-10 7:47 AM
2010-07-10 7:50 AM

Thanks KWin.

My Infinit has electrolytes in the mix, including 400 mg. of sodium per serving. (Drink one serving per hour, and chase with water.)

I drank my nutrition at the recommended rate. But maybe I should have drank more Infinit and water. I will call Laurie at Infinit on Monday and see if she has any recommendations.

Infinit will have a booth at Lake Placid, if you want to learn more. Infinit says their product has an osmolality, or absorption rate, almost equal to blood, whereas many popular sports drinks have osmolality levels too high for endurance events.

http://www.infinitnutrition.us/

I am not a doctor and I have not tested Infinit's claims. But except for Wednesday, I am pleased with their products (they  have a bike mix and they have a run mix, both of which you can customize.)
2010-07-10 8:51 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-07-10 8:55 AM

2010-07-10 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2972281

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
tasr - 2010-07-10 8:31 AM

Monty - 2010-07-10 8:27 AM

Actually it is the opposite. A headwind. I took note of that because it is basically the same direction you are heading as you climb back through the notch on 86 and that section gets a headwind as well.

Last year I remember a head wind going to Jay. 

I can't comment about last year as I wasn't there. If you did, then you had a tailwind coming back into town on 86. The course on 9N heads from the SW to the NE. The course on 86 comes back the other way. The out and back is just an extension of 9. My point is whatever the prevailing winds are on the way back to town, that is what you will get on the way back from the out and back. I think that makes sense. Had to look at a map to make sure!

2010-07-10 3:59 PM

tasr - 2010-07-10 6:49 AM

[/QUOTE

Nope. Head wind from A Forks back to Jay. You'll feel it as soon as you turn the bike around. Sometimes that stretch can feel like a wind tunnel. Noticeably stronger on the second loop. The Placid area winds tend to gain strength as the day moves on.
2010-07-10 6:19 PM

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I have recently started using SaltStick salt capsules for my electrolyte replacement and I really like them. Endurolytes didn't seem to be working for me, and now I know why- they don't have enough sodium in them- only 40mg per capsule. Saltstick has 250mg per capsule, which is more on par for what you need when you sweat- or at least, what I need. I don't like to drink a lot of gatorade, I prefer water, so I've been working on supplementing with saltstick capsules and it seems to be working for me.

2010-07-10 9:06 PM

I thought the humidity was pretty low here today in Lake Placid.  I hope Race Day was like today: light breeze, decent cloud cover, temps in the upper 70's.  Compared to Long Island the last two weeks (a 100 degree oven with jungle-like humidity) it felt like an Autumn time run today.   I just absolutely fell in love with the Run course today.  River Rd has to be one on the most scenic and beautiful roads I've ever had to the privelege to run on. 

I'm going to Post this Taper article by Mark Allen again.  A guy who knows a little about this sport   http://live.ironmanlive.com/holdingcell/2003/september-2003/five-perfect-weeks-to-konathe-art-of-tapering  The one sentence that really jumps out to me is:  "When athletes start to give themselves rest, the system in the body that responds to stress (which is the system that allows you to get up for big workouts) starts to shut down. This is like working on the engine of your car. You cannot give the engine an overhaul while it is running. You have to shut it off."  I think (perhaps) this is why many people are experiencing workouts right now; it's time to shut the engine off. The body can only absorb and tolerate "Build-type" workouts for so long.  This is my guess

Edited by Dream Chaser 2010-07-10 9:07 PM
2010-07-10 10:46 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
My last long run is done for me if you call it that.  It was more like a failed run.  Nothing I can do about it now. 

My confidence in doing well at LP is not good.  I just hope I can pull to the line healthy, uninjured and race with all you fine people.  Maybe come close to last years time and with Gods grace finish healthy.  

Sorry to be such a drag I am usually positive.  Just being honest with myself I guess. 

2010-07-11 5:56 AM
in reply to: #2973056

2010-07-11 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2972993

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Dream Chaser - 2010-07-10 10:06 PM
I thought the humidity was pretty low here today in Lake Placid.  I hope Race Day was like today: light breeze, decent cloud cover, temps in the upper 70's.  Compared to Long Island the last two weeks (a 100 degree oven with jungle-like humidity) it felt like an Autumn time run today.   I just absolutely fell in love with the Run course today.  River Rd has to be one on the most scenic and beautiful roads I've ever had to the privelege to run on. 

Bobby...sorry we couldn't meet. I left yesterday early in the am. I agree that after the front came through Friday night the temp and humidity dropped significantly. Friday was like a sauna and Saturday was like the fall. Hopefully we get weather like Saturday. Enjoy it up there and try to stay away from that little Chocolate shop across the street....I couldn't!

Edited by Monty 2010-07-11 9:24 AM
2010-07-11 10:17 AM

Master
Bellevue, WA
What's the story with water temperature in the lake? IIRC someone earlier thought it was too warm for a full wetsuit. I have a long john as well as a full, but since I'm driving from Seattle to Lake Placid I'd rather not bring both unless there's a real chance of water temps of 72 or higher.

A few years ago I did a sprint in full wetsuit in 74 degree water (predicted was 70) and overheated badly - it's why I bought the long john. I can't imagine 2.4 miles in 74 degree water with my Blue Seventy.

So should I bring both just to be safe? I think I've talked myself into it just writing this. :-)
2010-07-11 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2973385

Master
syracuse
brucemorgan - 2010-07-11 11:17 AM What's the story with water temperature in the lake? IIRC someone earlier thought it was too warm for a full wetsuit. I have a long john as well as a full, but since I'm driving from Seattle to Lake Placid I'd rather not bring both unless there's a real chance of water temps of 72 or higher. A few years ago I did a sprint in full wetsuit in 74 degree water (predicted was 70) and overheated badly - it's why I bought the long john. I can't imagine 2.4 miles in 74 degree water with my Blue Seventy. So should I bring both just to be safe? I think I've talked myself into it just writing this. :-)

i just swam in 74 for sprint tri.....full BS Helix.  I agree here.

I started to get hot.

i think im going to bring a sleeveless with me as well.  overheating on the swim is not a good way to start the day......

if you are driving, why not bring both?  flying I could see, but im sure you can find space for one more suit!...

2010-07-11 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2973056

Master
syracuse
tasr - 2010-07-10 11:46 PM My last long run is done for me if you call it that.  It was more like a failed run.  Nothing I can do about it now. 

My confidence in doing well at LP is not good.  I just hope I can pull to the line healthy, uninjured and race with all you fine people.  Maybe come close to last years time and with Gods grace finish healthy.  

Sorry to be such a drag I am usually positive.  Just being honest with myself I guess. 

james, you are FINE.

dude, I had to WALK in a 5k of a SPRINT tri.....worst race ever.  came off the bike with 3rd place right in front of me...just as I was to pass, I had to freakin walk!!!  out of no where....

my coach was laughing at (with) me....saying, "This will be funny to you in 15 days as well."

you are SET!!

you've done the work....
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 193