BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2008-05-05 11:42 AM
in reply to: #1382189

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED!

I'm confused about what your overall plan is. If I remember correctly, you have another Oly in like 5-6 weeks? Your IM is far off enough that you can afford to taper now (or in June), as far as I know. Are you tapering for the next Oly?

What you want to do for taper is short workouts, with more intense bursts. A 30-min ride with a few intervals here and there at 85% of race pace or something will be a better workout than an hour or so at zone 1 and 2. If you want to train this week, I would maybe do longer easier stuff early on in the week, and then a rest day a day or two out, and get in at least one workout in all three that is short but with pickups.

2008-05-05 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1382205

User image

Sensei
Sin City
LaurenSU02 - 2008-05-05 9:42 AM

I'm confused about what your overall plan is. If I remember correctly, you have another Oly in like 5-6 weeks? Your IM is far off enough that you can afford to taper now (or in June), as far as I know. Are you tapering for the next Oly?

What you want to do for taper is short workouts, with more intense bursts. A 30-min ride with a few intervals here and there at 85% of race pace or something will be a better workout than an hour or so at zone 1 and 2. If you want to train this week, I would maybe do longer easier stuff early on in the week, and then a rest day a day or two out, and get in at least one workout in all three that is short but with pickups.

Heh, Join the club!  It changes every day!  Seriously, though.  Race this weekend and another on June 14.  My current plan is geared to peak for that.  No particular reason, just seems like a easy place to end the current plan.  THEN I have a week off before my IM plan needs to start up..... (Start of my 20 week IM plan starts June 23).

You could be right.  Let me look at the workouts again.  Maybe the 30 minutes of riding is more entense than I am assuming.  I was just looking at time to this point...

2008-05-05 11:51 AM
in reply to: #1382218

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Another question.  Someone on another thread started talking about knee pain which reminded me of mine.

After LONG rides (and sometimes runs, I'll have to keep a log of when it happens), the outside of my right knee, pretty much right at the joint and where the ACL connects, I feel some soreness.  It is nothing new, and it goes away pretty quickly.  I may feel it if I run the next day or two and seems to go away after getting warm.  Then no problems untill the next big ride or run (but it doesn't happen ALL the time).

When is seeing a PT or DR. the right call?  I don't want to be doing something that could sideline me later, but I don't want to worry at any ache or pain.....  I get those more and more the older I get!!!

2008-05-05 12:00 PM
in reply to: #1354013

User image

Expert
WA

i've got a question myself, i just searched the BT forums archives and got some good info but thought i'd ask you guys too.

for some reason, it never occurred to me to find out what the water temps will be in my upcoming tri on 6/1.  i asked today - and it will be ~68 or so, based on last year.

i don't have a wetsuit, and it's a half mile swim.  air temp avg. high for that day is 76 degrees.  i think i can man up, but i want to make sure.  i have swum in a 74 degree pool before without any problems.  that's my only data point for me on cold water swims.  thoughts? 

2008-05-05 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1382263

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
lisazapato - 2008-05-05 1:00 PM

i've got a question myself, i just searched the BT forums archives and got some good info but thought i'd ask you guys too.

for some reason, it never occurred to me to find out what the water temps will be in my upcoming tri on 6/1.  i asked today - and it will be ~68 or so, based on last year.

i don't have a wetsuit, and it's a half mile swim.  air temp avg. high for that day is 76 degrees.  i think i can man up, but i want to make sure.  i have swum in a 74 degree pool before without any problems.  that's my only data point for me on cold water swims.  thoughts? 

Here's my question to you....What if the air temp is 65 and overcast and the water is low 60's.  Will you be able to handle that? If it were me, with the weather up here (I assume the race is in the Northeast), I would prepare for the worst.

2008-05-05 12:20 PM

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH
lisazapato - 2008-05-05 1:00 PM

I don't know about you, but I am doing another triathlon in about 2 weeks and it will be outside and I am not oging to wear a wet suit.  I don't know if it will be necessary for you, but I am pretty sure I will be able to handle the cold no matter what.

2008-05-05 12:25 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
lisazapato - 2008-05-05 10:00 AM

FOR ME, a wetsuit makes things comfortable and faster, but is not needed.  I think the only part that sucks is first getting in the water, but when that gun goes off, I forget the cold pretty quick.  Then the swim is fine.  It could also get a little chilly in T2, but I forget that pretty quickly as well.  Once the HR gets up on the bike and you dry off, things should be ok.

68 is pretty chilly, but I think it's doable if you want IMO....

2008-05-05 12:55 PM
in reply to: #1382353

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Lisa,

I think most people swim faster in colder water. That's why the pool for the olympics is usually set at ~68 degs. However, if you haven't jumped-in and seen what your body will do at that temp, you should make it a point to do that without the wetsuit. If it's a sprint, that transition time may suffer a little from removing a wetsuit and you can probably warm on the bike.

I also agree with Boston in that if you prepare for the average, you may be caught off-guard by the worst-case for that day.

You get a little speed-bump from a tri wetsuit though too. I just don't know what the delta is.

Hope I helped.
2008-05-05 12:55 PM
in reply to: #1382353

User image

Sensei
Sin City

WOW!  I was checking in on all of you guys this morning....  You peeps are FAST!  I'm impressed and intimidated, all at the same time!

Good work all.....

2008-05-05 12:58 PM
in reply to: #1382453

User image

Sensei
Sin City

GomesBolt - 2008-05-05 10:55 AM Lisa, I think most people swim faster in colder water. That's why the pool for the olympics is usually set at ~68 degs. However, if you haven't jumped-in and seen what your body will do at that temp, you should make it a point to do that without the wetsuit. If it's a sprint, that transition time may suffer a little from removing a wetsuit and you can probably warm on the bike. I also agree with Boston in that if you prepare for the average, you may be caught off-guard by the worst-case for that day. You get a little speed-bump from a tri wetsuit though too. I just don't know what the delta is. Hope I helped.

Most people report 5 to 15 seconds per 100.  I get about 10.  You get MORE help the slower you are to begin with.  An elite swimmer already has great form, so the suit helps less.

So 10 seconds for me works out to be about a 7% faster time.....

2008-05-05 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

You guys are making me so antsy to race! How am I going to wait until mid-July? The race in Vancouver unfortunately is just not going to work for this year. If I don't add some sort of race (local) before the one in July I may go crazy waiting waiting waiting!

2008-05-05 1:34 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
I finished my race report.  Check it out if you want.  Cheers!
2008-05-05 1:42 PM
in reply to: #1382236

Champion
South Jersey
Aikidoman - 2008-05-05 12:51 PM

Another question.  Someone on another thread started talking about knee pain which reminded me of mine.

After LONG rides (and sometimes runs, I'll have to keep a log of when it happens), the outside of my right knee, pretty much right at the joint and where the ACL connects, I feel some soreness.  It is nothing new, and it goes away pretty quickly.  I may feel it if I run the next day or two and seems to go away after getting warm.  Then no problems untill the next big ride or run (but it doesn't happen ALL the time).

When is seeing a PT or DR. the right call?  I don't want to be doing something that could sideline me later, but I don't want to worry at any ache or pain.....  I get those more and more the older I get!!!

Do your hips rock at all when you ride (i.e., could the seat be too high)?

2008-05-05 1:43 PM

Champion
South Jersey
Lisa, if it's a sprint, you'll probably be okay. Just make sure you get in the water first to become acclimated to it.
2008-05-05 1:51 PM
in reply to: #1382647

User image

I guess I was wrong earlier about the olympics pool temp. The FINA's rule on water temp is between 77 and 82 degrees. Sorry to be the bearer of bad gouge.

Anyway, point is. I'm more comfortable when it's cooler and therefore move faster. If you get cold easy, last thing you want is cramps mid-swim or shivering through your ride (like Traci was last weekend). I would kill to swim in 68 degree water and follow-it with a bike and run in a 60s weather. Check out my weather board sometime. Weather here is so variable this time of year. Is it going to be 84 and sunny or 85 and sunny?
2008-05-05 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

I'm starting to think about Deer Creek olympic-dist tri on 6/8 as a B race. Honestly I've never done a "B race" before. Does this mean that you don't actually push yourself 100% in the race? Or just that you don't taper for it, and you don't do a recovery week after the race? I was thinking about subbing this for a 90bike/45min run brick that I have on my training schedule for that weekend.

2008-05-05 3:58 PM
in reply to: #1382236

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

I would say that if your insurance covers PT visits, there is no harm in going there once and learning all you can about what you could do to strengthen, stretch, reduce inflammation, etc. in that area. If it eases your mind and keeps you from getting stressed out about it, it is definately worth it! Alternativly, you may actually find some answers at the LBS, maybe as your legs get stronger you have to change your bike position a tiny bit?

2008-05-05 4:04 PM
in reply to: #1383065

User image

Sensei
Sin City
shiggy - 2008-05-05 1:58 PM

I would say that if your insurance covers PT visits, there is no harm in going there once and learning all you can about what you could do to strengthen, stretch, reduce inflammation, etc. in that area. If it eases your mind and keeps you from getting stressed out about it, it is definately worth it! Alternativly, you may actually find some answers at the LBS, maybe as your legs get stronger you have to change your bike position a tiny bit?

Good idea.  If it's covered under a minimal co-pay - it's worth doing.  Otherwise, if it starts to be chronic, I will worry.  Could just me a minor form error on certain days that causes it.  If it starts to be bad after every workout, I will look into it further.

Side note, I cut the bottom of my foot today at the pool.  Right at the junction of my big toe and my foot.  I hope it doesn't bother me during my bike or run this weekend.....

2008-05-05 4:05 PM
in reply to: #1382641

User image

Sensei
Sin City
LaurenSU02 - 2008-05-05 11:42 AM

Do your hips rock at all when you ride (i.e., could the seat be too high)?

Nope (I don't think so!)  I feel pretty rock solid when riding....

2008-05-05 4:07 PM

User image

Expert
WA

well guys, i was just sitting here thinkinga bout this wetsuit thing when it occurred to me - hubby has a wetsuit. what would happen if i put on hubby's wetsuit? just for kicks? 

bear in mind - hubby is over 6' tall. i am 5'6".  so that's why i never thought of this before, because, well, it sounds ridiculous.  but hubby is really skinny. so maybe the fact that hubby is tall and skinny and i am not will counterbalance (i.e. hubby stretches it vertically, i stretch it horizontally?). 

so, i give it a try. and it fits ok. it really does, it's obviously a bit long for me, but it will do. i look like a big black sausage in it, but it fits kinda ok and it's warm. it's a 2 piece, so that helps a lot with me getting into it. who'd a thunk his wetsuit would be a two-for-one? so....i guess that's a problem solved, i think i'm going to wear it. i got out of in in <30s too, so that's pretty cool. so, come race day if it's buttass cold, i can always wear hubby's wetsuit! woohoo!  it's good to know i have this backup to go on.

claire - i've read a bunch of interpretations of a "B" race. i think the one that makes most sense is you go hard on that day but don't taper for the race. you really "race" the race, trying to do as best you can, but since you have not tapered, you're not going to be at your peak. however, it is a good training experience. other interpretations of a "b" race include: lollygagging/going really easy the whole event, or just doing the exact same intensity as you would if it were training. just me personally, though i've never had a b-race either, i'd do the first.

Edited by lisazapato 2008-05-05 4:10 PM
2008-05-05 4:24 PM
in reply to: #1383099

User image

Sensei
Sin City
lisazapato - 2008-05-05 2:07 PM

well guys, i was just sitting here thinkinga bout this wetsuit thing when it occurred to me - hubby has a wetsuit. what would happen if i put on hubby's wetsuit? just for kicks? 

bear in mind - hubby is over 6' tall. i am 5'6".  so that's why i never thought of this before, because, well, it sounds ridiculous.  but hubby is really skinny. so maybe the fact that hubby is tall and skinny and i am not will counterbalance (i.e. hubby stretches it vertically, i stretch it horizontally?). 

so, i give it a try. and it fits ok. it really does, it's obviously a bit long for me, but it will do. i look like a big black sausage in it, but it fits kinda ok and it's warm. it's a 2 piece, so that helps a lot with me getting into it. who'd a thunk his wetsuit would be a two-for-one? so....i guess that's a problem solved, i think i'm going to wear it. i got out of in in <30s too, so that's pretty cool. so, come race day if it's buttass cold, i can always wear hubby's wetsuit! woohoo!  it's good to know i have this backup to go on.

claire - i've read a bunch of interpretations of a "B" race. i think the one that makes most sense is you go hard on that day but don't taper for the race. you really "race" the race, trying to do as best you can, but since you have not tapered, you're not going to be at your peak. however, it is a good training experience. other interpretations of a "b" race include: lollygagging/going really easy the whole event, or just doing the exact same intensity as you would if it were training. just me personally, though i've never had a b-race either, i'd do the first.

To me, I take a "b" race just as seriously as my "a" races.  I even taper a little.  The BIG difference for me is my "plan".  I pick a plan to peak in 20 weeks for a particular BIG race for me (my "A" ) race.  If another race falls within those 20 weeks, it is a "b" race. 

So my season has time for two "a" races.  One in the spring that I had 20 weeks to prepare for and one in the fall.  That could change next year depending which race is most important for me to do well in.

I guess some people may treat a "b" race as something to screw around in - not me, but I would either call that a "fun run" or "c" race if there is such a beast...

That's just me.....

With regards to the wetsuit.....  If it fits, cool.  Try swimming in it first for sure.  nothing new on race day... blah blah blah.....

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-05-05 4:25 PM

2008-05-05 4:28 PM
in reply to: #1383099

User image

You kinda use the B race like a training workout and a practice-run for the transitions etc. That's what I figured.

Try on the wetsuit, but don't count on it fitting too well unless it's a "shorty" because there's a big difference in the torso usually so the crotch would be hanging kinda low.

Last thing.

HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO EVERYBODY!!!

I met my wife at a cinco de mayo party. I had just woken-up from passing-out on the floor because we were playing A-hole and of course, I was the a-hole the whole time. But she walked-in and I said to myself "me likey". 7 years later to the day, I love her more every day. Even 9.5 months pregnant.

Now go drink a Margarita for me!!!
2008-05-05 4:33 PM
in reply to: #1383172

User image

Expert
WA

GomesBolt - 2008-05-05 5:28 PM Last thing. HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO EVERYBODY!!! I met my wife at a cinco de mayo party. I had just woken-up from passing-out on the floor because we were playing A-hole and of course, I was the a-hole the whole time. But she walked-in and I said to myself "me likey". 7 years later to the day, I love her more every day. Even 9.5 months pregnant. Now go drink a Margarita for me!!!

say it with me everyone:  AWWWWWWWWWWW .  that is very sweet .

as for the suit, it's one of the De Soto T1 2 pieces - a bibjohn + a top.  so, they overlap way more on me than on him, but i can manage.  the bibjohn straps are not tight on me, but i am able to pull the crotch, well, all the way up to the crotch, so i think it might actually work out.  i think i will try to hit a lake this weekend and see what happens.  i'll keep you guys posted.  husband says it will surely make me way faster, so that will be an interesting side effect that i look forward to

2008-05-05 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

Thanks for your opinions on what makes a "B" type race. I can't imagine holding back in  a race, I really don't think I have the willpower to do that.

Can I assume that an olympic distance is a more appropriate B race than a sprint (if the A race is a HIM)?

2008-05-05 11:48 PM
in reply to: #1383524

User image

Sensei
Sin City
shiggy - 2008-05-05 5:54 PM

Thanks for your opinions on what makes a "B" type race. I can't imagine holding back in  a race, I really don't think I have the willpower to do that.

Can I assume that an olympic distance is a more appropriate B race than a sprint (if the A race is a HIM)?

IMO, every race is a "B" race except the one you picked to establish your plan around.  If you are asking for a good "prep" race, either is good IMO.  My HIM plan actually wanted you to do a sprint on week 12, then an oly in week 16, then the HIM week 20.

The way I see it, I'm going to do as many races I can during my IM training just to keep the excitement up and not get burned out of just training (except at the expense of a long ride or run - the keystone workouts for a long race IMO).  That means a couple Olys for sure, an HIM, maybe through in a sprint and some runs just to have something to look forward to on the weekends.....  The thought of 20 weeks of JUST training sound kind of bleak to me.  I tried it last year (and this winter) and I felt stir crazy.....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 66