BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z group is FULL!!!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2008-07-09 7:28 PM
in reply to: #1518072

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD
Subject: RE: Newbz'z group is FULL!!!!!!

Thanks for the advice and experience guys.  I'm definitely enjoying myself but I tend to get down on myself when I don't hit my goals... which has been happening a lot lately.  Sounds like I just need to prioritize my workouts a little better and use swimming and biking as substitutes for the lower mileage runs.  I started to realize that 99.9% of the people following the prescribed marathon plan are only running.  I figure the bike is another good leg workout and the swimming will help with endurance and alleviating fatigue.

Still finding my groove so I'm glad this group is here to bounce things off of.  Sometimes it doesn't make sense until you hear it from someone else! 

2008-07-09 8:10 PM
in reply to: #1518935

User image

Fishers, IN
Don't get down on yourself, life happens, injuries happen and most of us aren't making a living off of this. There is no way in the world I could have done this when my kids were younger or when I was working and in grad school or when I was building my career. There is just a lot to juggle. Main thing is to stay healthy and enjoy the training and friends you make along the way. As for the actual marathon plans, you are right those generally are for pure runners. I think there is a lot of carry over aerobically from the other sports so you will not need to hit the mileage that the marathon plans describe.
2008-07-09 10:18 PM
in reply to: #1518935

User image

Champion
deff dont get down on yourself, if i did that when i missed my goals i would have killed myself long ago!

you are doing great and wil have a blast
2008-07-10 8:14 AM
in reply to: #1519291

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yeah, Scott. I know it is easier said than done but don't beat yourself up too much. We all train because it adds something to our lives and makes us happy...but having a happy and fulfilling life is the goal. Sometimes that means training is less of a priority and sometimes it means the opposite. You just have to roll with the punches.

And for some extra motivation check out this video (link is below). Oh and sorry in advance if this has floated around BT before...I've never seen it and it truly inspired me. My wishy washiness on doing a HIM next Fall is now done and gone...I'm in, now I just have to pick one and sign up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xflHHf_en00

Keep up the good work, guys!

--Chris
2008-07-10 7:28 PM
in reply to: #1519656

User image

Fishers, IN
Pretty awesome story. They are so inspiring. This year I passed them at Boston on heart break hill, That was the highlight of the race for me. A few years back seeing them on TV in Kona, this guy pulling the boat along with his son inside-what an animal. He says all you have to do is make your mind up and you can do anything. Do an ironman? It scares the living daylights out of me yet he can do that.
2008-07-11 6:56 AM
in reply to: #1354430

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Sorry I have been MIA on the boards. No experience with marathoning... maybe next year I will have some input since I am seriously considering it.

I hear you about being a little scared of the Ironman distance. I think after my HIM I will have a better perspective on if I want to go longer. Or, if a HIM is as far as I want to go.

I don't think an Ironman will be in scope for 2009, but maybe 2010... and that is a huge maybe.

It is such a gigantic commitment... not only for your training but also for you family to support you... but I can not imagine that feeling of having Mike Riley call out your name after so many months of traning and hours of racing... It has to be amazing.

Happy training everyone! Keep up the good work.

2008-07-11 7:46 AM
in reply to: #1521678

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD

Haven't been able to check out that video yet due to the settings at work but I think along those lines there is a great article about a late 90's rivalry between two disabled Kona athletes in the 25th Anniversary issue (I think April or May) of Triathlete.  One guy was an ex-Navy seal and the other a former Motorcross rider that used to compete in tri's as part of his Motorcross training.  One of the guys talks about training through bonks and going through the drive thru at a McDonald's on his hand bike after bonking.

Really a compelling story if you get a chance to read it.

2008-07-11 9:34 AM
in reply to: #1522147

User image

Fishers, IN
I hear you. Right now I am training enough that I feel a bit guilty from a time at home perspective. My kids spend a lot of time in practice, so much of the time I can make my workouts coincide with there's (they are 11 and 13 and work out as gymnasts 20 hrs/wk). But my wife doesn't get as much of me and my family does make saccrifices for me.

If all continues to go well, I hope to HIM next year and then the following perhaps shoot for the IM. Right now, its just a far off dream, but the Hoyt's and so many others are inspirational. I love to watch Kona on TV, and hear the life stories that are so very touching.

Justin, Marathon's are tough, but not nearly as tough if you are prepared. My first one was my slowest and hurt infinitely more than my next four-primarily due to having done the long runs. I think the Ironman is an exponentially harder animal (11-15 hrs of endurance??). Do I really even ever want that? One step at a time I guess for now I am having fun just training and learning a new sport.
2008-07-12 2:16 PM
in reply to: #1522582

User image

Champion
hey guys, just a quick update before my internet dies again.

i raced the hocking hills triathlon today, a very hilly sprint race in logan ohio. not a huge race but some fast guys show up every year so i know i can gauge my fitness off of them.

i was not really sure where things stood in relation to my fitness going into this race as i have had a ton of injuries and missed training this year as you know.
and to make it even more fun i am waiting on my new frame to arrive and ended up racing on my g/f road bike with clip ons (did get the races wheels on though

the swim started well, and i moved out in front with two girls that are swimmers. at the turn around i was still with them!!! i was stoked about that, i guess the 15-20k a week of swimming is paying off they left me in the last 100 or so but i came out of the water in 3rd, about 2 sec back from one and 5 from the other, was out of transition in under 12 sec, and onto the bike course. i knew i was looking at a rolling to uphill outleg, (8.4 miles out), so i needed to do everything i could to put time into the bigger guys that would crush the downhills on the way back. i rode alone following the lead cop car all the way out, and on the way back started watching to see how far back 2nd place was. when he passed me i was up by a 1:40, and i just took off, it felt effortless! there are some short very steep uphills of between 20 sec and a min, and i just hammered them in the big ring, not wanting to slow down at all. as i ended the ride, no one was around me, but i knew the run ahead was going to be tough. its a 3.3 mile crazy run, with the first mile and a half up a 7-14% hill, and then a rolling downhill way back.
i felt good running, finally! i kept my pace strong and smooth, and tired to keep my heart rate in check for the uphill (which is by far my favorite place to run!). at the top of the hill i let it go and hammered the way back, coming into the line gasping for air. i turned around, and no one was in sight. i waited, and waited, and finally 2nd place (another faster guy from my team) came trucking in.

i came off the bike with a 4 min lead, and finished just under 4 min ahead of him.

training is paying off, and i am finally starting to see the form i wanted this spring

hope all is well with you guys!
2008-07-12 4:12 PM
in reply to: #1524982

User image

Fishers, IN
Awesome race report. Must feel great to finish first. You put in the work and the improved performances inevitably follow. Congratulations! Got anything else coming up?
2008-07-12 4:19 PM
in reply to: #1525074

User image

Champion
next one is aug 3rd, much bigger race againts some fast local elites

2008-07-12 5:22 PM
in reply to: #1524982

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD
nice job david!!!  that's awesome!  4 minutes is a monstrous gap!
2008-07-14 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1525137

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job, David! Seriously though...as your mentee's shouldn't we get some of that magical speed you possess? Seriously, just a few seconds per 100 on the swim and say :30 per mile on the bike/run. I mean it sounds like you've got the time to spare ;-)

As for me, I'm still pushing hard getting ready for my next sprint and my first Oly. Training is going well and I've had two great weeks on the bike and in the pool. With three weeks to go I'm well on my way to my goal of a 1:30 total time for the sprint. We'll see and as it gets closer I'll post some more definitive goals for all to see.

Also, I spent the day yesterday jockstrapping two new triathletes at an XTERRA event. Can I just say that XTERRA chicks are absolutely hot? Seriously, I almost stole a mountain bike just to ride behind a few of them for a bit ;-) Aside from the hotties, it was a great day. My friends are both new to this and neither trained quite as much as they likely should have. So, the both got killed on the swim, did pretty well on the bike and then got the crap kicked out of them by the trail run. But most importantly, they both finished, had some fun and I think after the aches go away they'll both do another one sometime down the road.

So, who is racing this weekend?

--Chris
2008-07-14 1:13 PM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
I am and so is Thomas... Where ever he is.

I am racing the Olympic distance. It will be my second ever and on a really flat course. Here is my projection... Lets hope it holds true

S (1.5km): 25 (or ~1:30/100yrd)
B (25mi): 1:10 (or ~21mph avg)
R (10km): 48 (or ~7:45/mi)
T1/2: 2 total
Total: 2:25:00

The nice thing is that it is a time trial start so you don't have to fight your way on the OWS.. The bike course is on a partially closed highway here in Columbus... So it is super flat and is really fast. It is a 5mi bike loop so it is really nice for the spectators because they actually get to see you swim, bike and run v. just coming in and out of transition.

This week I am just taking it easy to get some recovery in before the race. Plus I am feeling pretty beat up.
2008-07-14 6:32 PM
in reply to: #1528061

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD
Chris, we might have to sign up for that next year.  They had the 2007 XTERRA Championship rerun on a local network this weekend... looks interesting.  I'm no stranger to 1st aid kits on the trail!
2008-07-15 8:14 AM
in reply to: #1529389

User image

Extreme Veteran
shaggy28 - 2008-07-14 7:32 PM

Chris, we might have to sign up for that next year. They had the 2007 XTERRA Championship rerun on a local network this weekend... looks interesting. I'm no stranger to 1st aid kits on the trail!
Ha! Yeah it looks like fun and definitely a very different challenge than a road race. I think I've got my hands pretty full for now but don't be shocked if I take you up on that offer over the off-season. Although my girl will absolutely kill me if I add both a tri bike and a mountain bike to the fleet!

--Chris

2008-07-15 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1530271

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Concretechris - 2008-07-15 9:14 AM

shaggy28 - 2008-07-14 7:32 PM

Chris, we might have to sign up for that next year. They had the 2007 XTERRA Championship rerun on a local network this weekend... looks interesting. I'm no stranger to 1st aid kits on the trail!
Ha! Yeah it looks like fun and definitely a very different challenge than a road race. I think I've got my hands pretty full for now but don't be shocked if I take you up on that offer over the off-season. Although my girl will absolutely kill me if I add both a tri bike and a mountain bike to the fleet!

--Chris

You just have to inform her of the n=n+1 formula. It works... She will get it over time.

n= number of bikes
n= number of sports cars owned
n= number of beers drank
n= number of la... nevermind
2008-07-15 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1530271

User image

Fishers, IN
Boy we think alike, the cycling can get expensive. I'd like to make similar purchases. I hear that mountain biking is awesome and a lot of the guys I ride with ride em through the winter. They say its almost more fun than training in the summer! They also tell me that a Time trial bike will give you 1-1.5 mph on a 40KTT. I better watch out or my wife will encourage me to find new friends/hobbies. I don't think she'd buy the n+1 rule!
2008-07-15 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1530955

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD

If I were to buy the TT bike I'd like to I'd be sleeping in a tent out back for the next year.  Currently N=5 already and my wife doesn't even have a decent road bike so I don't have a shot until I sell a couple.  Unfortunately, since I'm 6'5" the two I want to sell are huge... 25" Trek 7.5 FX and a 64cm 1981 Univega Sport Tour (would make a great fixie but I don't have the time to tinker these days).  The other three are my Tarmac, my single speed, and my MTB.

I have used the n=n+1 formula to keep drinking though.  Me: "Come on honey... just one more and then we can go... I swear."  Two hours later... Wife: "have you guys seen my husband anywhere?"

2008-07-16 8:11 AM
in reply to: #1531177

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anyone else planning on running the virtual 5k for Christine this Friday? I already have a pretty high run volume this week (for my plan, at least) but I'm going to add it in anyway...what a tough story to hear. For me it is an unwelcome reminder about how fragile life is and how lucky we are to be able to train every day. I'll try to remember her when I've had a bad swim or am struggling with my run pace...life is good even if I'm not running a 7 m/m split and averaging 25 mph on the bike ;-)

--Chris
2008-07-16 10:14 AM
in reply to: #1533075

User image

Fishers, IN
You are so right, sometimes when nothing exciting is going on and you start to feel bored or in a rut, you just gotta think...life is good, things are good. I will look into the virtual 5K and find a way of doing it also.

2008-07-17 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD

During these last couple 10-12 mile runs I realized that I pronate much more than I thought.  So, I decided to try a shoe with more motion-control.  Learned the "rule of thumb" for shoe fitting last night.  I never knew that most running shoe manufacturers recommend that, while standing, you have a thumb nail's width between your big toe and the leading edge of the shoe.  Evidently that is how they are designed and that is the simplest way to make sure your foot is striking the padding and such in the correct position.  I would have thought that was too big for me but now I know and I'll be damned if the difference between the size 13 and the size 14 wasn't instantly recognizable. 

PS.  Still not happy about looking down at my new gun boats!  They feel great but they look ridiculous!!! 

2008-07-18 7:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yeah, Scott. A good fit is crucial! I got fit last summer but the shoes I liked and that worked for me were discontinued. So, during this last go around I bought a new pair of Mizuno's online...they are nice but still don't fit quite right and next time I'll definitely just pay the extra $15 - 20 bucks and go to a run shop. Luckily with the way tri training goes, that won't be that far off ;-)

Glad the boats are working out though. It is amazing how much of a difference equipment really can make in the long run. How is the scheduling working out? Are you getting to fit it all in without too much difficulty?

Oh and since this group is somewhat anonymous and the odds of me ever meeting most of you are slim, I'll admit just how neurotic I am. I just planned out my training through April of next year! Oh yeah, I'm pretty much a psycho, huh? Well, really it isn't as bad as it sounds...I scheduled a 20 week winter maintenance program and then after a week off I transition into an intermediate Oly plan. After that I'll likely do a HIM plan for the summer but one thing at a time. Just thought I'd share, please tell me I'm not alone in this and/or totally insane ;-)

--Chris
2008-07-18 7:25 AM
in reply to: #1539159

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Concretechris - 2008-07-18 8:20 AM

Oh and since this group is somewhat anonymous and the odds of me ever meeting most of you are slim, I'll admit just how neurotic I am. I just planned out my training through April of next year! Oh yeah, I'm pretty much a psycho, huh? Well, really it isn't as bad as it sounds...I scheduled a 20 week winter maintenance program and then after a week off I transition into an intermediate Oly plan. After that I'll likely do a HIM plan for the summer but one thing at a time. Just thought I'd share, please tell me I'm not alone in this and/or totally insane ;-)

--Chris

No... You're Nuts!

When do you start the 20 week maintenance plan? You could probably just stick with the beginning of the HIM plan for the spring... It is basically comprable to the Oly plans that I have seen. The only difference is the peak weeks. Just a thought.

I think next year and maybe this winter of getting involved with a team or look into getting a coach. It would be interesting to see what would happen to my results with a little more structure to my workouts.
2008-07-18 9:06 AM
in reply to: #1539170

User image

Extreme Veteran

No... You're Nuts!

When do you start the 20 week maintenance plan? You could probably just stick with the beginning of the HIM plan for the spring... It is basically comprable to the Oly plans that I have seen. The only difference is the peak weeks. Just a thought.

I think next year and maybe this winter of getting involved with a team or look into getting a coach. It would be interesting to see what would happen to my results with a little more structure to my workouts.

Gee, thanks ;-) I start the maintenance plan two weeks after my last tri in September. And the Oly plan starts a week after I finish the maintenance plan. Good thought about the HIM but I'd like to work into it and the 8-week Oly plan I'm likely going to use is a definite step up from anything I've done or will do over the off-season. After that I'll still have the whole summer to put in HIM training since I'm not going to schedule one until the late summer/early Fall.

I'm also planning on 5-7 events next year, a mix of 2 or three sprints, a couple Oly's and one HIM. Should be a fun year!

As for coaching, if you can afford it then I'd say go for it. If the next year goes well then I'll definitely consider it as well...I'm sure by then I'll be reaching the capacity I can achieve purely on my own.

---Chris
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z group is FULL!!!!!! Rss Feed  

of 25