BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2009-01-19 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1916040

User image

Master
Subject: RE: tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL
oshunluvah - 2009-01-19 10:36 AM

Thanks for the deal sites Amber, I'll check them out. 

Question: do you think it's necessary to have a 'tri' bike as a beginner? 

Definitely NOT. If you have a bike you like, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are going to sprint triathlons, you will see all KINDS of bikes. Mountain bikes. Commuter bikes. Even bikes with ribbons and horns. All sorts of fun stuff. Do *not* get self-conscious in the least. Besides, you will get great joy by passing people on fancy tri bikes.

My hope is to buy a tri bike in March 2010. I want to have "earned" it both with weight loss and doing races.

BTW, some people don't even ride tri bikes in every triathlon. A lot of people ride road bikes at Lake Placid, for instance, because the course is so hilly. KSH on this forum rode her roadie at IM Kentucky.

2009-01-19 12:16 PM
in reply to: #1856528

User image

Master
Scott, we want pictures when you're done.
2009-01-19 12:21 PM

User image

Master
I fell off the band wagon this weekend. My godfather passed away, and his memorial service was Saturday morning with all sorts of food afterward. He was actually one of the funniest men I have ever met; he had asked for a can of Old Milwaukee to be at his service. And then everyone toasted him to it afterward. Funny guy.

And yesterday it snowed all day and it was just a lazy day (other than shoveling). So time to get back with the program today.

Not sure what workouts I'm going to do this week. My training partner wants to swim Tuesday and Wednesday nights, but I want to get in a good trainer ride before Weigh-in Wednesday. If I did the trainer Tuesday morning, I'd have to get up at like 4:45 a.m., and that doesn't sound too appealing to me. On the other hand, if I do go with her, it should be fun demonstrating my improved stroke since she hasn't seen it yet. Decisions.
2009-01-19 12:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

There is a video on BT's home page on "why tri bikes."  Time trial bikes offer a different frame design to move you forward of the pedals so you are using different muscles than you would use otherwise.  I'm told the shift makes it possible to "save the legs" for the run.  That said I also have friends who are Ironmen who say no matter what you do, your legs are toast after 112 miles.  Without getting on a TT bike I would have to agree.  112 miles is a long way on two wheels unless you've got a motor on it.

I have two perfectly good road bikes.  So, my reasons for getting a TT bike to build up are;

- If there is a way to help myself on the run, I want to try;

- If there is a way to make myself more aero and save more time on the bike I need to because that is where I will save time if I can anywhere along the way.  I'm 6 feet and weigh in the neghborhood of 220 and though fit, I am not built to be aero.  I need help;

- I made extra money writing freelance articles for fishing mags;

- I don't drink, smoke or have other expensive habits.  I'm driving a pickup with 111,000 miles on it.  My boat is 14 years old (and looks like it came from the showroom.)

- I love bikes, I'm addicted and what the heck. 

- I took bike building classes to build bikes.  I love doing it.  I need a frame to do that so there you are; 

- Kathy says it's OK.  (This is huge.  If she had said no, that would have ended it.  You must keep your spouse/partner in the loop all the way, on training time, on money, etc);

- The bike is good enough that if I keep the build costs down, I should at least break even and maybe make a few dollars if I sell it.  Orbea Ordu is a great name thanks to the win at Kona this year.

You probably do need a decent road bike and clip-on aero bars that will get you down low and more aero on long distances.  But need a TT bike?  No.   

Edited by IceManScott 2009-01-19 2:52 PM
2009-01-19 3:14 PM

User image

Veteran

Thank you everyone for the feedback on the tri bike.  I actually don't have a road bike either, it's a commuter with aero bars and is fit to me perfectly so, I will likely stick with it while I tackle the sprint level. 

I spent this afternoon x-country skiing and have attached a photo showing that we may be stuck with a boatload of snow and cold all winter but, we make the most of it Smile

Cycling tomorrow...

(PICT0005.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
PICT0005.JPG (93KB - 16 downloads)
2009-01-19 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Nice photo. You look happy and I know CC skiing is activity. Happy cycling tomorrow.

2009-01-19 3:56 PM

User image

Master
It's snowing here -- again. I'm going in search of YakTraks after my YMCA torture session step aerobics class this evening just to make it home in one piece. I think the weather gods are trying to make us pay for last year's relatively mild winter.
2009-01-19 4:53 PM
in reply to: #1916220

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
uclamatt2007 - 2009-01-19 9:23 AM

Hey everyone,

So I have been doing some thinking lately (always dangerous) and I want some to get some opinions. I've always had a long term goal of getting to an Ironman, and after watching the tv coverage of Kona over the weekend, I've finally decided I need to set a date and stick to it. My question: Is 18 months from couch to ironman doable? I am looking at IMCDA 2010. I figure that with my age, I should be able to get to that level of fitness in 18 months, but that means 18 months of training with no off season. I wont be looking to Kona qualify or anyting, but if I am going to put the effort in, I would rather not be crawling across the line at 16:59. So, is this doable or should I look at a 2011 IM?

People have gone couch to IM in less time than that, keeping in mind a goal of just wanting to finish, not compete. If you consider that you can safe add about 10% to your distance each week (in general, say adding 10% in 3 out of every 4 weeks, with 1 recovery week), you can go from 100 yds in the pool to 5000 yds in 15 months. 5 miles on the bike to 115 miles in 12 months. 1/4 mile run to 26+ miles in 13 months. Notice that this leaves even 3 months for an "offseason". If you want to do it in 2010, you can...if you are disciplined in your training.
2009-01-19 8:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

What's a "commuter" bike?  Is that a hybrid?  if so, for a sprint, you will do fine.  You can make them more road worthy.  For one, you might consider getting narrower, smoother tires than usually come with them.   

You look like you're having fun in the snow.  Good for you.  I used to do lots more ice fishing than I do.  One reason - climate change has made my area iffy for safe ice over the past 30 years.  Also, my attitude is not so open to freezing on a biucket when I could be riding or running or swimming indoors and then soaking in a nice hot tub.

2009-01-19 9:25 PM
in reply to: #1916220

User image

Veteran

Matt

It's doable. I have never done an Ironman, just a half. I figured I'd do that first to shed some light on the "Ironman goal". What I found was that it wasn't that bad....the day of the race I mean. Unexpectedly, the day in day out, week in week out, multiple two hour days every week....training volume was the challenge. A few months in I thought "I just want the race to come so I can return to life as I knew it". It was mentally very difficult. On race morning, though, I was ready!

My point is, that's the question. Can you do the day in day out, week in week out, month in month out journey. Only you can answer that.

Jake

2009-01-19 10:13 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
I'd definitely agree with Jake on the experience of the race at the HIM distance...once you've trained (assuming you trained diligently)...the race isn't anticlimactic, but it isn't an overwhelming feat anymore. In my case, I finished strong and beat my goal time by 12 minutes.

The thing I'm finding as I move into IM training, though, is that the impact of adequate training on your life is pretty profound. My wife and I are already making schedule decisions for specific days in June and July in order to allow for key workouts. Some of those decisions are even going to affect schedules of friends and colleagues as I become unavailable for certain dates for potential events and so forth. Those decisions are, honestly, more profound than they were for my HIM training...getting a 100 mile ride in vs. a 50 mile ride is a major step up...my longest workout for my HIM was maybe 4 hrs., where I expect I'll have at least a couple all day workouts for my IM. Lots of IM finishers here on BT have expressed the sentiment that the race is almost a matter of course after all the training.

2009-01-19 10:19 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
With my wife and I both off work for the King holiday today, I haven't had a chance to really get online til now, but I wanted to get my week's goals posted.

Today - Did a brief bike workout with my wife since we were both free. Took it easy on myself after a 12.8 mile run yesterday and started off her hill training for her HIM this summer. Did a climb that was difficult for her, then some technical stuff.

Tues - Run 5 miles

Wed - Depends on weather: Road or trainer, 45 min.

Thurs - Swim AM / Run 3-4 miles PM

Fri - Bike hills

Sat - Swim AM, then ride 40 miles with Liz

Sun - Run 14 miles
2009-01-19 10:22 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

Goals for the week:

Tue and Thurs: 3 mile run

Sunday: 5 miles

2 cross training sessions, not sure when or what they will be yet though

2009-01-20 7:40 AM

User image

Master
It's just not my week. I left my lunch in the fridge at home.

But the good news is that for the first time, I was able to do ever crunch (96, I think) in my step aerobics class. And I'm not sore today despite a pretty ambitious weight training session last night.

Think I got my schedule figured out here.

mon: step aerobics & weight training
tues: p.m. swim.
wed: a.m. bike trainer, p.m. swim
thurs: a.m. walk & weights, p.m. bike trainer
fri: off
sat: swim and/or elliptical
sun: bike trainer

The resolutionists are already gone from the Y. Makes me kinda sad.
2009-01-20 10:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

Aloha all

I'm p***ed off! Fortunately I.m not so bright so I'll get over it real quick. LOL - Well reason for slightly tarnished attitude:

Last Weeks Goals
  1. weight - 249 (write nutrition plan down) MMMM - 253!!!!!!!! Did write down plan though.
  2. Specify Core and stretching regime and post it in logs. Did sort out core and stretching but not logged yet.
  3. Make sure I have an 'easy' week. Ready to get stuck into next few weeks increased loads.(Register for Tranent Sprint) Done
  4. MMMM I knew it was going to be a hard week to maintain. But how did I manage 3lbs on? Oh well 7lbs in four weeks is okay and 'sensible' but I am a little deflated.Still back to 250 next week.

I decided to do my wifes core programmer 3 days a week. Shae has one of these 'crunch' machines from a TV ad and actually it rocks. She has these rubber band things and I do the program for 20 mins and I'm knackered. More of a statement of my fitness. I am trying to keep up the strength sessions as set out in the plan as well. As for stretching, I do a minimal amount really to try to keep off injury really and I do it daily for 5 mins. I will start logging this week on wards.

I did take it easy. I found it really hard to not do more. I also entered the the tranent sprint. WHOO HOO! Then looked up last years results. Found out it is Edinburgh Universities championship and I will do well to come DFL! LOL . Good job that doesn't bother me.

So to better things:

This Weeks Goals
    1. weight - 250
    2. Settle in to first week of three increasing ones.
    3. Work on leg kick for swim.

2009-01-20 11:54 AM
in reply to: #1917263

User image

Veteran

A commuter bike is basically a hybrid; it's literally designed to allow you to commute on typical urban roads and has enough flexibility to get you out of traffic trouble, or into it if that's your thing.  They are tough enough to hop sidewalks and potholes and cabs Wink and have a wider handlebar width than a road bike.  Mine has 1.25 slicks and has never seen anything but asphalt.  I bought it for commuting back when I worked in Boston in a building with locker rooms but now I just use it to ride long distances because my job is walking distance from my home, my other bike is a 1970 Schwinn Collegiate (creampuff).  Despite the Fuji not being a road bike it is built for speed so I'm confident that it will serve me well in a sprint, perhaps olympic but, that's not in the very near future.

I had a blast xc skiing and the dogs had even more fun.  I see lots of people in NH ice fishing but I'm not really a lover of cold so I have to keep moving when out in it.

Goals this week - keep moving, keep moving, keep moving.

2009-01-20 12:12 PM
in reply to: #1918179

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
FWIW, my wife did her first two tri's on a Trek hybrid that she bought (and was using) for commuting. Served her just fine for getting through them. Once she'd "gotten her feet wet," so to speak, and wanted to keep do triathlons, we got her a very inexpensive road bike from REI. Hybrids and MTBs are great, but as the tri's get longer and/or your time ambitions grow, you do become conscious of the wind resistance from riding so upright, the weight of the bike (from frame, wheels, and tires which let you jump those curbs), and the rolling resistance from the wide tires. When we rode together and she was on her hybrid and I was on my really cheap first roadie, the difference became pretty evident. But lots of people do use hybrids and MTBs and stick with them, especially at the sprint distance.
2009-01-20 2:58 PM
in reply to: #1917980

User image

Master
paul walker - 2009-01-20 11:19 AM

Aloha all

I'm p***ed off! Fortunately I.m not so bright so I'll get over it real quick. LOL - Well reason for slightly tarnished attitude

I'm up this week, too. I think the key is to just get over it and keep going. It happens. The more you beat yourself up, the more upset you get, the more likely you are to overeat.

Someone posted somewhere that 1/19 is statistically the most depressing day of the year (I would imagine that is only true for winter climates, though). Whether that is true or not, I don't know, but this has NOT been my week. And it seems like today will NEVER END. Ugh...
2009-01-20 3:01 PM
in reply to: #1918179

User image

Master
oshunluvah - 2009-01-20 12:54 PM

I had a blast xc skiing and the dogs had even more fun.  I see lots of people in NH ice fishing but I'm not really a lover of cold so I have to keep moving when out in it.

Goals this week - keep moving, keep moving, keep moving.

I definitely want to see about doing cross-country skiing or snowshoeing next year. How do you get started in cross-country skiing? Are you a downhill skiier, too?

I am definitely NOT a downhill skiier. I tried once and that whole "make a pizza" thing with my feet didn't slow me down one bit. A lot of weight + gravity = way too fast for me without brakes.
2009-01-20 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Someone on the San DIego Tri Club site just posted this answer to a question about VO2 max and thought you might be interested: VO2 max is the maximum amount of oxygen you can utilize to get to the muscles. The more oxygen you get to the muscles, the better. It is measured in ml of utilized oxygen per kg of body weight, per minute of exercise. The amount of utilized oxygen is relative to body weight because the bigger you are, the more you would need, as it must be a measure relative to you.

Oxygen gets into the bloodstream thru the lungs, when blood is pumped from the heart, to the lungs, thru the right atrium and ventricle. The blood gets the oxygen from the lungs, then goes back to the heart, thru the left atrium and ventricle, and then pumped thru the body to deliver the oxygen to the muscles.

A good field measure of your VO2 max would be any performance measure for approximately 6 mins. So if you got on a bike and did a test for the best watts you could average for 6 mins, this would be a performance measure for VO2 max. This way you can come back and do that test again to see if your VO2 max improved. This will not give you any values in ml/kg/min, but it will likely show you whether your training has improved your VO2 max.

If you're looking to get a scientific test completed, I offer the tests for $150, ($135 for TCSD members). This test helps you better understand your body, where your strengths and weaknesses are, and how to better structure your training.

Ways to improve your VO2 max can vary, but a common workout is running 5x3 mins hard with 3 min recoveries. After about 6 to 8 weeks though, VO2 max will plateau, so you can't just keep doing this workout all year and expect it to continue to raise. This is why periodization is an important principle for training.

2009-01-20 4:55 PM
in reply to: #1918230

User image

Veteran

good feedback Todd, thanks.  I will definitely do the first one or two tri's with the Fuji and then make a decision about switching to a road because I know I'm gonna luv doing tri's... now to just pull the trigger and sign up for one or two.

I rarely jump into new things without doing alot of thinking first.  It's good when we know these things about ourselves, no?

2009-01-20 5:02 PM
in reply to: #1918662

User image

Veteran

Susie - yes, I've been a downhill skier for a long time but I rarely do it these days, too expensive between upgrading the equipment and lift tickets.  The good news is that xc skiing is completely unrelated other than the fact that there are two boards attached to your feet.  It's a great aerobic sport and very easy to get into, no leassons required.  Go rent a pair and find a snowy terrain like a field or perhaps there are trails for it where you live; it's a rythm thing that's very fluid and gives a great leg burn.  Snowshowing is fun too and great aerobic conditioning.

enjoy!

2009-01-21 7:38 AM

User image

Master
I swear my training partner reads my mind!!!

You would not believe it - we were at the pool last night, and she asks me if I ever thought about snowshoeing. I about dropped dead. She had no idea that yesterday I was pricing snowshoes and thinking about giving it a try. That was spooky.

So we're going to see about going Sunday!
2009-01-21 8:12 AM

User image

Master
Other interesting news: I think I've found a route that it might be *possible* to bike commute to work. I would have to drive it to gauge how bad traffic is. It would 16 hilly, tough miles each way, though, with especially troublesome traffic toward the end. Hmm - wonder if I can find a place to park the car before the tough traffic section.

(Things you think about when you are stuck inside.)

Any bike commuters here? I tried it a few times before we bought our house last year and moved farther away. It was very relaxing and enjoyable. If I could bike commute one or two days a week, that would really help me squeeze in bike training.
2009-01-21 9:22 AM
in reply to: #1919732

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Offthegrid -  Any bike commuters here?

I started in earnest last year, three to five days a week.  There were times my pickup didn't move for two weeks at a time.  I love it.  About 10 miles to work on semi busy roads.  No real problems but I insist on land command - law here allows us 3 feet of clearance and I can ride well away from the curb to avoid gutters and debris.  That means people have to slow down to go around.  I stay on four-lane roads much of the time so they have plenty of room. 

I also ride my bike when I can elsewhere.  I usually average 20 miles a day just getting from here to there.  The miles do add up. 

I have a Trek Pilot 1.2 for the purpose.,  Fenders help keep me dry and I have a rack, bags and lots of light.   

Scout out the safest roads and be aware of what's going on.  Stop at stop signs and be predictable.  It's a really cool thing to see several bikes along the way.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 45