BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2011-04-15 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Veteran
Sparta
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Open again

I am David and am looking for answers to simple questions and encouragement. 51 years old with 5 grown children and 3 wonderful grand children. Have always wanted to do a tri, but hate running. So last summer I started running a little and completed my first 5k in October 2010, and then my second in November 2010. I am looking at my first tri this summer, a sprint distance, on July 10 here in Michigan. I am 6'5" and could use to lose 30 pounds and gain energy, hoping this will help. I enjoy bike riding and love to swim, although with Michigan winters, I haven't swam or biked outside since last fall. Mainly working on the tread mill and ellipticle in the basement so far. Hoping to kick up the workouts a bit now and get outside.

First question: About to register for my first tri in July, is there an advantage/disadvantage to signing up as clydesdale (I am currently 240) verses age group (currently 51). I like the idead of competition, but my goal for the first one is to finish and the second one to beat my first time and overall is to get into and stay in shape.

Second question: I currently only own a mountain bike .. can I get by with that for the first couple Sprint distance tri's, or should I find a way to get a road or tri bike?

Looking forward to learning from this group!

2011-04-15 4:07 PM
in reply to: #3448723

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
dwpiggott - 2011-04-15 11:46 AM

I am David and am looking for answers to simple questions and encouragement. 51 years old with 5 grown children and 3 wonderful grand children. Have always wanted to do a tri, but hate running. So last summer I started running a little and completed my first 5k in October 2010, and then my second in November 2010. I am looking at my first tri this summer, a sprint distance, on July 10 here in Michigan. I am 6'5" and could use to lose 30 pounds and gain energy, hoping this will help. I enjoy bike riding and love to swim, although with Michigan winters, I haven't swam or biked outside since last fall. Mainly working on the tread mill and ellipticle in the basement so far. Hoping to kick up the workouts a bit now and get outside.

First question: About to register for my first tri in July, is there an advantage/disadvantage to signing up as clydesdale (I am currently 240) verses age group (currently 51). I like the idead of competition, but my goal for the first one is to finish and the second one to beat my first time and overall is to get into and stay in shape.

Second question: I currently only own a mountain bike .. can I get by with that for the first couple Sprint distance tri's, or should I find a way to get a road or tri bike?

David - First welcome!!!  This is a great group and lots of support here.

As for your questions, to me if you qualify for the Clydes then register that way.  Not sure if there is much of an advantage/disadvantage at this point for you.

Second, bike.  Ride what you have (as much as you can and as often as you can).  Two advantages is you can save money until you are sure Tri's are for you and second you have more time to learn about the types of bikes out there (sizes, types, price, etc).  There will be lots of different types of bikes and knowing what your options are is very important.  The only disadvantage is that you will work harder and probably be slower than those with Tri/Road bikes.  Use that to motivate yourself.  That said I did my first duathlon on an MTB and survived.

Once again, welcome to the group!

2011-04-15 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3449302

User image

Expert
Hammond
GaryRM - 2011-04-15 4:07 PM
dwpiggott - 2011-04-15 11:46 AM

Second, bike.  Ride what you have (as much as you can and as often as you can).  Two advantages is you can save money until you are sure Tri's are for you and second you have more time to learn about the types of bikes out there (sizes, types, price, etc).  There will be lots of different types of bikes and knowing what your options are is very important.  The only disadvantage is that you will work harder and probably be slower than those with Tri/Road bikes.  Use that to motivate yourself.  That said I did my first duathlon on an MTB and survived.

Once again, welcome to the group!

David,

Welcome to the group. I am Shelly and I am doing my first tri next month. I have to agree with Gary about the bike. I purchased my bike in January and I do wish I had known more about bikes, what I might really want or need and what was out there. I did tons of research and I absolutely love my bike. However, I do think I probably could have gotten more bike for what I spent, if I had known more about what I wanted/needed etc. Thankfully, I love my bike so much that I don't really care- lol- it's only money- you cant take it with you, right. But seriously, I do feel like I know a good bit more now and will probably learn so much more after my tri. It would have been nice to have that knowledge before I bought my bike. 

Welcome again,

Shelly

Athleta Iron Girl- May 22- sprint- New Orleans

2011-04-16 5:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
OK ... on the challenge - how does a spinning session get counted ... just sayin ...
2011-04-16 6:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

OK, so last weekend I raced the Cary Long-Short Duathlon.  This was a tough race for me ... bike leg was good ... running legs were not so good.  That stated I have:

• A sore knee which is swollen and so I'm not running for a while but still swimming, spinning and cycling.  It is better from this past weekend, but still a bit stiff and sore.
  • To train more in the running arena

So I looked at some of the Couch to5k programs (here: Training Programs ) and intend to start next week with the aggressive Couch-5k program. 

In talking with the trainer at the gym this week, she talked about runners who are 'heel' strikers vs. ones who's foot lands more flat and how the latter puts less pressure or impact on the knees. 

Gary any insight you can add to this ... can a runner change their technique or do we just have to HTFU and deal with it?

2011-04-16 6:10 AM
in reply to: #3443270

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

sfred45 - 2011-04-12 8:22 PM Great! Ok Dorm, let's blow this thing out of the water!!!

sFred ... I'm in so start countin'!

2011-04-16 8:36 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Dorm, a couple of items:

1.  Knee - Have you seen a Dr on this?  May be I am forgeting a post about a previous knee injury but if you haven't had this checked out you need to.  Did you twist it?

2.  Spin - 16mph I think is what we can use.  Let me know if this works for everyone.

3.  C25k is a great program

4.  Changing your stride can be done but it needs to be slow and done right (combining with the C25k program will help a lot).  So you know your a heel striker?  Have you been fitted by a LBS for correct shoes?  Can the trainer at the gym work with you on this?

David - I recommend reading thru the previous pages to catch up.  If you are ready we can add you to one of the challenge teams for this month.  No pressure, just lots of fun.

All, okay plan seems to be working okay.  Couple of small workouts yesterday and one for today.  Last night got a great nights sleep which is important as I won't get much sleep tonight.  Started packing last night.  High for tomorrow is 78 and the morning temps should make it wetsuit legal.  Nice!

Captains, remember that you need to report progress each week.  Sundays would be best.

2011-04-16 9:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE

Finally getting nicer weather around here. 70's all week then it snowed yesterday; you've got to be kidding me. 

I'm doing a personal research project on listening to music and running and if a songs beats per minute effect running pace. I will keep you informed on what i find out. When you all run do you listen to music or enjoy nature to it's fullest?

Fit,  my logs are up to date for this week. Swim and run will not be a problem. The bike is where I'll need some serious help.

Dw, welcome. The sense of accomplishment and pride when you cross your first triathlon finish line is unreplicable.

2011-04-16 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3449302

User image

Veteran
Sparta
Thanks Gary, I already feel encouraged! I was hoping to bike today, but 48 and rain right now, maybe tomorrow, back to the tread mill for today. Thanks for answering the first two questions, I am sure I will have more.
2011-04-16 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3449726

User image

Veteran
Sparta
Hi Shelly, thanks for the welcome. Did you end up with a road bike or a tri bike? Probably more to it than that, but as suggested, I will stay with my mountain bike for the first race and figure it out from there.
2011-04-16 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3449930

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
GaryRM - 2011-04-16 9:36 AM

Dorm, a couple of items:

1.  Knee - Have you seen a Dr on this?  May be I am forgeting a post about a previous knee injury but if you haven't had this checked out you need to.  Did you twist it?

2.  Spin - 16mph I think is what we can use.  Let me know if this works for everyone.

3.  C25k is a great program

4.  Changing your stride can be done but it needs to be slow and done right (combining with the C25k program will help a lot).  So you know your a heel striker?  Have you been fitted by a LBS for correct shoes?  Can the trainer at the gym work with you on this?

Knee ... it's not twisted or anything like this - it's just sore from the running.  It's much better than from this past Sunday.  Did I say how much I HATE running?

Spin ... I'm good w/16mph!!

Stride ... 1 reason my knee is sore is the pounding it takes from being a heel striker.  I have been fitted for shoes (earlier post wherein these cost me ~$200) with orthotics.  So I plan to focus on the stride a bit with the C25k program. 

2011-04-17 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3448723

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
dwpiggott - 2011-04-15 12:46 PM

I am David and am looking for answers to simple questions and encouragement.

David, first off - welcome to the group and hang on for the ride.  This sport is truly amazing and a pure enjoyment. (And I HATE running too)

My 2 cents worth on the bike is ride what you have for a couple of races and do your research on this site.  I was amazed at the number of cross, cruiser and mtn bikes I saw in my first race.  Being a bit patient will help you spend less time and money.  Do your research via the forums here with recommendations on brands, sizing, TT vs road bikes and such. When you know what you want, then it's easy to snap up a deal when one comes across.

2011-04-17 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Sparta
I've been reading back a ways in the forum. I think OWS is open water swim ... what is HIM?
2011-04-17 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3449951

User image

Veteran
Sparta
When I fist started running last year I had good luck with Segar Live Bullet and Boston Greatest Hits. Then my, MP3 player broke and have been running without. I also tried a book on tape(mp3) and wasn't very successful.
2011-04-17 5:30 PM
in reply to: #3450995

User image

Expert
Hammond
dwpiggott - 2011-04-17 9:39 AM... what is HIM?
It's half ironman and HM is half marathon.Shelly
2011-04-17 7:50 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: Monthly challenge totals for Fit's group
Okay so here are the totals for my group for the week. We have met the ironman distances for the swim and run plus a few extra, already. Woo hoo group- way to go. We need to get riding though as we are only halfway there. Lets get on those bikes- ;-).------------------------------------------The totals are: Swim- 9,100 m-- Bike- 59.21 miles--- Run- 32.9 miles-----------------------------------Way to go team!!!!---------------------------------------------------Shelly

2011-04-17 7:52 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: Monthly challenge totals for Fit's group
Okay so here are the totals for my group for the week. We have met the ironman distances for the swim and run plus a few extra, already. Woo hoo group- way to go. We need to get riding though as we are only halfway there. Lets get on those bikes- ;-).------------------------------------------The totals are: Swim- 9,100 m-- Bike- 59.21 miles--- Run- 32.9 miles-----------------------------------Way to go team!!!!---------------------------------------------------Shelly
2011-04-17 8:19 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hey all!

Rough day, swim was cancelled due to the high winds, bike was tough due to high winds but hit my goal, run was great for the first 9 miles than it went down hill but still did okay.

Shelly - nice meeting you today.  Wish I could have visited more but the race had my mind elsewhere.

Tired and sore, will catch up with everyone later.  RR (Race Report) hopefully tomorrow.

2011-04-17 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3451546

User image

Expert
Hammond
Gary, -------------------Don't even give it a second thought. I didn't expect you to visit. It was great getting to meet you and place your finisher medal on. Awesome job! You guys truly amazed me today. Congratulations!!!!-----------------------------------------------------------------Shelly
2011-04-18 4:17 PM

Regular
Group totals - swim 9200y, bike 51.4 and a pitiful 13.62 for the run! Come on team!!! I know I will be upping my run milage this week. Baby made it tough last week!
2011-04-18 4:24 PM

Regular
Btw, any new people to add to the teams? My group is still Dorm and Randy? I have been MIA for a few and I am just catching up...Congrats on your race Gary!!!

2011-04-19 7:25 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hey all!

Feel human again, yesterday I was a tad bit sore.  David I am adding you to one of the challenge teams for this month.  Don't worry it's simply just do your workouts and your team captain will tally for the team.  Great fun and no pressure.

sFred - David has joined our group and we are hoping for some more folks soon.

Okay all, question time: What is your favorite workout?  Distance swim workouts, run speedwork?  Let me know!

2011-04-19 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
Speed work
2011-04-19 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3454171

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
GaryRM - 2011-04-19 8:25 AM

Okay all, question time: What is your favorite workout?  Distance swim workouts, run speedwork?  Let me know!

Nothing with the word "run" in it is a favorite, so the default answer is distance swim ... although my fav is a ~20-30 mile bike ride at a nice 16-18 mph pace Cool

2011-04-19 4:17 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115