BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-09-23 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3281614

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED

Having a good laugh at myself today.

I had a rough work week, with travel and two days where I had to teach classes from 3 AM to 6 AM. My volume is down, and I am racing on Sunday, and have a wedding to go to on Saturday, so I may not train on Saturday.

I "only" got in 4.5 hours this week. Something is seriously messed up in my world.

On a good note, rather than getting up at the crack of dawn today to train, I slept in a little and feel much better than I had after poor sleep and morning classes.

I am doing the Escape to Miami Oly this weekend. 2 years ago it was my first Olympic distance, and it CRUSHED me like a used soda can. I fell apart so bad on the run, I can hardly describe it. I even lost my aero bottle on the bike course. Looking forward to seeing how 2 years and tri bike have changed my skills.

Of course, I hope today's 22 + MPH ride (damn roadies made me want to go faster so they wouldn't pass) and short run wont mess up my legs too much.

Talk to you all later!!@!!

2011-09-23 1:49 PM

User image

NH
Eli, sounds like you may be peaked for this race after an unplanned taper!  Kill it like the bug it is, payback is a great thing.
2011-09-23 2:55 PM

User image

Griffin, Georgia

Eli - Good luck on Sunday!!

Been busy lately but been trying to keep up with reading.  Had planned to do the Tugaloo Oly tomorrow but schedules and finances got in the way.  Soooo, I mapped out my own olympic course and did it this morning/afternoon.  Swam 0.95 miles in Lake Jackson which is close to my house.  First time swimming this course.  Road my wifes's LeTour on a 25 mile course back to the house.  Ran the 10k on my trails around the house.  Wife helped out bringing the stuff from the lake back and setting some water bottles on the course for me.  It was my first olympic distance event.  Kept the watch running and timed the transitions and everything.  Finished in 4:13:02.  I started this triathlon "thing" on October 13 last year.  My goal was just get to where I could do a Sprint.  Then somewhere along the way I decided that I just might be able to do an oly by the end of the season.  Well here it is, I did it.  I am tired but not dead.  I think if I sit too long that I may not be able to get up though, lol.  The "run" (walk/jog really)  was the hardest part.  It took a lot out of me and I was getting really tired.  It became a mind game but once I got to four miles there was no way I was quitting.  I love it and it feels good.  Hydrating right now but tonight it is time for some poker with friends and some nice cold Amber Bock!!

2011-09-23 3:19 PM

User image

NH
Congratulation Bill!  An Oly is a serious distance, not for the feint of heart as you now know.  That's some serious HTFU not letting anything stop you from the goal.  You've earned that brew tonight, I bet it's one the best tasting beers you've ever had.
2011-09-23 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3698144

User image

South Florida

Nice work Bill!!! Way to muscle through that run. The first few miles suck, but once you get going it's hard to let yourself quit! Be proud of yourself and enjoy that beer this evening. And if that 1 beer turns into a few, then thats okay as well:-)

2011-09-23 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3698195

User image

Griffin, Georgia

wbayek - 2011-09-23 4:19 PM Congratulation Bill!  An Oly is a serious distance, not for the feint of heart as you now know.  That's some serious HTFU not letting anything stop you from the goal.  You've earned that brew tonight, I bet it's one the best tasting beers you've ever had.

Thanks!!  Yes it is a serious distance and a great tasting brew.  Sam Adams Octoberfest would be good too.  But I will take a black and tan made from the tap (not that junk in a bottle) when available!!  Let the festivities begin!!!

2011-09-23 8:24 PM

User image

Master

Bill, 

that is awesome! I love the OLY distance. It makes a great day. You feel like you worked hard, but aren't too tired.

I know what you mean about sitting down though!

2011-09-26 8:43 AM

User image

Master

Hey all!

Had an fun weekend, but a little busy. Picnic Friday night and emergency tire change for a friend (It was so hot, by the time I was done, I had probably sweat 5 lbs).

Saturday morning early, set up for a wedding. More sever sweating. I had to shower after set up, then again after the ceremony before I went to the reception(lots of sweating as I broke down the wedding site).

Then, in the afternoon, we went to Miami to drop of bikes for Escape to Miami. It is a great race!

Sunday, up early for race day. Had to be there by 5:00 Am to get into transition and then on the boats at 5:30 for a 7:00 Am start.

Had a decent race-here is the report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=269709

I think the lack of good sleep for a few days really hurt my run. If I had managed a run like I did earlier in the year, or even like last week in training! I would have placed in Clydesdale. 

Luckily, I did smoke my time from two years ago, and now I have some goals and guidance for next year!

Hope you are all well and have a great week!!!

2011-09-26 10:00 AM

User image

Griffin, Georgia

Great race Eli!  Glad you were able to better your time from two years ago.

Couple of questions for everyone.  I don't plan on doing any more triathlons until next spring.  I would like to do the Atlanta 1/2 Marathon on Thanksgiving Day this year.  It is probably too much for me but I think if I start now that I will be ready to do it.  I know I will not be able to run the whole way but would be looking to just complete it.  I will probably also mix in some other 5k and 10k races over the off season just to keep me motivated.  I think I have some endurance now and would like to build more of that in the off season.  My biggest goal for the off season will be to increase my speed in all three sports, especially the run.

For now I am comfortable with my swim and bike.  They are not fast but I am comfortable.

Not sure what I will do about the swim.  I will probably go back to the pool when it gets colder and work on bilateral breathing and some speed.

For the bike, I will be looking for a good used road bike over the next couple of months.  I think putting time in on something with the different gearing from a mountain bike will get my legs in shape to be able to actually use those gears efficiently and begin to gain some speed.  I really liked my friends Trek 2.1 that I used in my two sprint races.  Any suggestions on a good bike to look for would be helpful.

As for the run, I know I need to lose some more weight.  I have been hanging around 240 since April/May.  Maybe a little less Amber Bock would help that, lol.  I would like to get down to 200 but anything under 210 would be great.  I just imagine being at 200 and carrying a 25, 10 and 5 pound plate with me and I just know that the weight has to be a big factor.  I am sure that my legs would thank me also.  My biggest question: What can I do over this off season to improve my run time?  I would really like to be able to get under the 10 min/mile mark on a consistent basis by next spring.  I am sure that you all have done some things to improve your run times.  I would like to hear what you have done and any suggestions you might have for me.

Next year, I plan on doing the two sprint races I did this year for a comparison.  I also will do at least one oly distance race.  Then to end the season next year, I am planning on doing the Augusta 70.3.  I think it will be the best race for me because the run course is through the city and is pretty flat.  I can handle the swim right now although not very fast.  By that time I should be ready for the bike.  Again my goal for this one would be to finish.  Should I try to do two oly races or just train for the 70.3?

Thanks for all of your help and encouragement!!

2011-09-27 9:44 AM

User image

NH

Bill, I think having some races planned is a great idea.  It keeps you motivated and gives a target to shoot for.  A half marathon is a long race, so it’s a real accomplishment, but it isn’t so long that it takes your body forever to recover.  I’d highly recommend a run/walk strategy.  Use it in training so your body is used to the startup after the walk part.  Here’s a link to the run/walk guru: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html (seems like the auto link thing is broken).  He preaches it even to very, very fast runners.

In terms of getting faster, there is no doubt that losing weight will probably be your biggest bang for the buck, short and long term.  There’s really no way to sugar coat it.  There are many reasons, primary probably being the key to running faster is running more, and that means running a lot without injury.  The more weight you are carrying the more wear and tear on those joints and the more likely you are to develop injury.  Also the estimates are that every pound is worth 1-2 seconds per mile, so you can do the math on how much time you’d gain there.

As far as a winter plan, I am definitely coming around the frequency and mileage camp, meaning run lots, mostly easy.  That’s the BT mantra I think.  I would try to work up to 6 runs a week, even if those runs are very short at first.  I also like the 3-2-1 method I’ve seen and plan to try some form of that this winter myself.  That involves 6 runs, with 3 being short, 2 being about twice that distance, and 1 being three times that distance. That’s a real simplification, but it’s roughly the idea.  So as an example, for a 20 mile week, your runs would look like 3-2 mile runs, 2–4 miles run, 1-6 mile run.

As far as doing Olys in prep for a half, I think it might be a good idea.  Race day is always different than training so having a race day test of your paces and such is probably good.  I also recommend at least two race prep training days, where you ride the entire distance and then run a significant time off the bike (like 60+ minutes).  That will let you test your bike nutrition plan and also your run pacing and nutrition off a long bike.  I say two so that you can screw up your first one and make some changes and re-test your plan.  Good luck, a half is a serious event for us mere mortals!

2011-09-27 12:25 PM

User image

Master

Bill,

I agree with Warren on your planning. A Half Iron is a great race too, but requires a TON of time biking.

As for losing weight, I haven't lost that last 10 lbs or so, but I did come down from 240 to 210 or so and have stayed there, outside of holidays, for the most part.

Use the food tracking and try to be honest about eating for hunger or for fun. I really try to stop and make sure I am enjoying my food, not just eating for eating sake, which I do a lot.

As for running....I have had success with doing the more freequent shorter runs, but my biggest gains have come from adding at least one day a week of speedwork. this doesn't have to be sprints, but should include at least tempo runs and fartlek style runs.

I also agree that run walk is the way to go. I use it for almost every race now, and it has really helped my times.

2011-09-28 7:42 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

Knee deep in my last weeks of training here!

Finally getting back in a groove after a light week and working some night shift classes.

So, yesterday, after taking a day off, I worked out on the spin bike in the morning. Set it up so I could watch TV and did a solid hour with intervals. Even I was shocked at the size of the puddle under the bike when I was done.

Then, in the afternoon, I joined a group of friends for their regular tuesday run. Went out without much of a plan, but one friend was cruising along at a decent clip. So, we ran together for 3 miles and then I ran back alone. Thought I had slowed down some, but my watch had me at the same time. 

Wouldn't you know that two days after having one of my worst 10K runs in a year, I PR a 10K training run. Go figure. 

I guess this is good in 2 ways. One, it is continuing proof that a bad training day doesn't mean you have bad training.

Two, it makes me feel even more ready for my upcoming race and satisfied with my training that I could put up such a great training day after a weekend with a hard race.

Looking forward to this weekend, as I am planning a 100 mile ride!

2011-09-28 10:28 PM
in reply to: #3700301

User image

Carmel

Bill-your motivation is great-keep it up. Everyone posting has a ton of experience and great advice. My story, is I was once a 6 day a week runner, who got hurt over training along the way. The old hamstring got tired and I was out of running almost 6 months. Thats when I found my old friend-the mountain bike-and had a blast riding the trails. Liked it so much, I bought a road bike (LeMond-- the Trek you mentioned is nice - a friend rides one and likes it) --then about 2 winters ago-took swimming lessons-and did a tri. Moral to the story: I run 3 days a week now-1 easy-1 speed workout-1 long easy run. (check out runnersworld.com for some workout suggestions--galloway mentioned allready is excellent)I swim 2x a week (or more) and when weather permits go on at least 2 group rides a week----so, I'm still working out every day-just not doing the same thing each day. Don't forget or deny yourself a rest day and a good cold beer (or few). I think tri training has helped me not get hurt-because all the muscles get worked.

upcoming events: October 15/16 the Hilly 100 bike ride and November The Monumental Marathon. After that, I do some trail runs - take it easy December-then start training the first of the year.

Have fun!

2011-09-29 7:47 AM

User image

Master

Paul,

You nailed it with the don't deny yourself the rest/recovery/beer idea!

There was a fun article in the runners world a few months back. It made the point that when you have a breakthrough race or workout, it may inspire you to sign up for more challenging races. Of course, it is hard to stay at a peak, so this often bites you back.

Although I am still in the throes of the fitness/too many races stage, I often think about how important it is to remember to have fun with your fitness, rather than make it a part time job.

Group workouts are a big part of keeping me motivated. Rides, runs, even swims, with friends at least once a week really help keep me on track.

2011-09-30 9:08 AM

User image

NH

Love the beer advice.  Definitely reward yourself with whatever you want.

I finally got some chest x-rays and I definitely have an infection in my lungs; they declined to call it pneumonia for sure only because I don’t have a fever.  It could be though, as I have most of the other symptoms, so they’re going to treat it as such.  Doesn’t really mean much other than I have some strong antibiotic drugs and an antihistamine/sedative to help me sleep better at night with the itching I’ve been experiencing, which has kept me from sleeping very well (when it rains it pours). The expectation is that this will really start getting better fast now with the new drugs and rest - if not it’s the glue factory.

When I told my doc (he's been my doc forever) I was ready to kill myself if I couldn't start running soon - he just laughed and commented how far I've come.  5 years ago I was 40 pounds heavier and wouldn't have gone out for a 2 mile run on a bet!

2011-09-30 2:35 PM

User image

Master

Warren,

sorry to hear about the diagnosis, hopefully the treatment will help. Nice to get a shot of reality from your Doc!

Look at this as an opportunity to focus on core strength, diet, or even the around the house list!

Plus, it will make your return to running that much sweeter!

2011-10-01 8:47 AM

User image

NH

Thanks Eli.  Actually I'm glad to get some idea of what's going on and get some strong drugs.  So far sleeping has been a little better and I have a bit more energy, but generally still feel like I either got in a fight or recovering from a drinking binge!  Even standing requires more energy than I have, so it really is total down time until I'm better.  It was about this same time last year that I got bronchitis, so I wonder if there's something I'm doing after Timberman which makes me susceptible to sickness.  Prior to last year I hadn't been sick in probably 10 years.  Oh well, too many variables to figure everything out.

Hopefully everyone is hammering away; I can't believe some of you are still in season and prepping for events.  We're pretty much closing up the pool, winterizing the cottage, getting the rakes ready for leaves - in general we can sense the snow isn't that far away!

2011-10-09 8:28 PM

User image

Master

Hey All,

Spur of the moment I decided to participate in the local season ending championships. I had qualified back in May.

It was a blustery day here in South Florida, and they shortened the course.

Here is my race report.

I had a great day, all things considered. I wish the race had been a little longer for training purposes, but I had a good time.

2011-10-17 8:28 AM

User image

Master

And so, my tri season winds down.

5 days till my second IM distance race.

Lots of miles past, swimming, biking, running.

Missed some workouts, wondering if I should have done more, but overall, feeling fit and healthy, which means I can finish.

Thanks to all of you who shared your thoughts, goals and challenges this season.

Hope to see you again!

Remember, every day is another chance to be healthy.

2011-10-17 8:42 AM

User image

Ocala
Been gone for awhile, but still hanging in there.  Finally have my first race, knee feels strong, hopefully going to tear it up.  Sunday is the day, supposed to be a chilly morning for Florida standards, 60 degrees when I am supposed to be swimming, so that sucks.  Feeling pretty nervous about the swim, but the bike and run I feel good about.  Hope all goes well, just looking forward to finally racing after thinking about it so long.
2011-10-17 9:57 AM

User image

Master

Colby,

Where is your race? Nick and I will be in Clermont for the Great Floridian.

Isn't that your neck of the woods?

If you want a little inspiration on Saturday, come by and watch. We'll be out there a while.

2011-10-17 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3726509

User image

Ocala

That's awesome, I might do that, Clermont is not that far from me.  I am racing in Orlando on Sunday, I might need to get some of my nerves out by watching you guys tear it up.  Thanks for the heads up.

2011-10-18 5:51 PM

User image

Carmel

Eli & Everyone in group...

Hilly Hundred weekend now past (great 57+49 mile meander through the hills of Southern Indiana) -- I'm looking at doing some indoor bike training. I have some rollers (friend threw it away, I snagged it -I like it - but still need to ride in a doorway) and a CycleOps mag trainer my oldest son left at home (in college).

Issue: I go to the pool 2xs week during the winter/I'll go out on Sat's with friends on a long run - I need to do bike training at home to keep things "balanced"......

I have a Polar heart rate monitor - no power meter...... my bike's cadence/speed/miles is compatible with either rollers or the CycleOps - since its on the rear wheel. So - I won't be working out "in the dark"...just no "power"

Q: any good books/videos?? that give a good bike workout plan? that I can do at home-on my either of my training devices.....?? Have you (all) found anything especially helpful?

thanks for any advice/input.

Paul

Edited by pgrun 2011-10-18 5:53 PM
2011-10-18 7:22 PM
in reply to: #3729074

User image

NH
pgrun - 2011-10-18 6:51 PM

Eli & Everyone in group...

Hilly Hundred weekend now past (great 57+49 mile meander through the hills of Southern Indiana) -- I'm looking at doing some indoor bike training. I have some rollers (friend threw it away, I snagged it -I like it - but still need to ride in a doorway) and a CycleOps mag trainer my oldest son left at home (in college).

Issue: I go to the pool 2xs week during the winter/I'll go out on Sat's with friends on a long run - I need to do bike training at home to keep things "balanced"......

I have a Polar heart rate monitor - no power meter...... my bike's cadence/speed/miles is compatible with either rollers or the CycleOps - since its on the rear wheel. So - I won't be working out "in the dark"...just no "power"

Q: any good books/videos?? that give a good bike workout plan? that I can do at home-on my either of my training devices.....?? Have you (all) found anything especially helpful?

thanks for any advice/input.

Paul

Wow sounds like a great weekend.

I highly recommend Jorge's plan on this site.  It'll be starting up soon I would guess, and you can follow along and suffer with the group.  It really builds your strength on the bike - I think I was at my best bike fitness when winter ended last year!

2011-10-21 8:25 PM

User image

Master

Another good bike training book is Chris Carmichael's Time Crunched Cyclist. I really like that one. Has some great plans for different types of goals.

Colby, if you come to the GFT, after 10:00 there will be a water stop near the finish with a Hawaiian theme. Tell them you know Nick and Eli and they will welcome you with open arms.

I am number 133.

Hope to see you there. With any luck, I will be off the bike by about 3 PM.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20