BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2011-04-25 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3464200

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca
Subject: RE: Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed

ewengler - 2011-04-25 7:30 AM Thanks for the training suggestions, Mark. Why is it that hill running has so much potential for injuries? When you say pay attention to form--what is the best form for running up a hill? down a hill? Thanks!

biomechanical geek response...

when running uphill, you are more prone to move your knee forward anteriorly in the sagittal plane which increases force through the knee joint.

in general terms,

while running uphill, people tend to "lean" forward or up the hill.  this allows the knees to move forward past the foot which makes for a lesser advantageous angle for the knee joint. therefore the knee takes extra force while sometimes running uphill.

Also, people tend to run on their toes when running uphill.  This increases the workload of the calves which most people arent use to.

Like mark said, stay true to your form.  Think about holding good form, especailly in those last few sets where you are very tired!

2011-04-25 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3286171

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

33 miles today - my longest ever -weather was great for the 1st day in a long time.  I was happy with my average speed - included some traffic stops and slowing way down for kids on tricycles and practicing gels from the stem.  Ended up with espresso GU all over my elbow pad.  Very happy my bottom held up - I've been worried about that.  I wish I wasn't so afraid of riding aero- it's so comfortable when I do try it.

Kimberly - I rode on a trail and there were lots of people walking dogs but they were all very well behaved - even one that wasn't leashed was told to sit and just calmly sat there as I sped by (I was a little nervous)

Denise

2011-04-25 4:31 PM
in reply to: #3464722

User image

If I have a dog come at me hard, the first thing I do is unclip on the side he's coming from IF I think I cannot outrun him.  If I have any space at all between me and the dog I just get going as fast as I can and rarely can they keep up.  If I can't outrun, I unclip, and wait until he/she gets close, and figure out if I can stiff leg the dog off, or if it really looks like it's going to attack.  The next part is not so nice.  Then I prepare to give it one quick, hard kick with maximum effect, because if you miss, he's gonna get you.  If he gets you first, it will be bad.  I had two friends who I train with attacked by dogs on bikes last year.  One tore her labrum in her shoulder and tore the bicep off the bone at the connecting tendon.  The other had stitches and needed some teeth replaced.  You cannot mess around with them, it's very dangerous.  When I took my wife riding Sunday, I was showing her all the houses out on the one route where there are dogs, and which ones are totally harmless and which ones I deem squirrely. 
2011-04-25 5:35 PM
in reply to: #3464722

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
It probably won't work on a ferocious dog that is coming hard, but I've found that grabbing your water bottle and giving them a good squirt in the face usually stops them or at least surprises them enough that you can get away.
2011-04-25 7:46 PM

User image

Outstanding swim video tying all of the mechanics together with great illustration.

http://lavamagazine.com/training/developing-world-class-open-water-swim-mechanics#axzz1KZqWISJb

2011-04-26 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3465139

User image

Regular
Minnesota

I am learning so much from this forum! Thanks Mark and Barrett for the explanations about hill running and how to do it right (and wrong) and the biomech reasons doing it wrong can lead injury. I'm a lot more inclined to do it now that I have the knowledge.

Which brings up another question... Speedwork--I've also read that speedwork increases the potential for injuries, but I don't know why?  I think my form gets better the faster I go, so maybe it is something else? Or maybe it's too much speedwork? But again, why, what kinds of injuries, and how to avoid them when doing it?

I'm focusing a lot on running this season and my goals are to be more consistent in training and avoid injury so I can incrementally increase my mileage to 25-30 miles a week, to improve my 5k and 10K times in tris, and maybe attempt a half-marathon later in the season.  Your comments and suggestions are helping me figure out what I can and need to do and how to do it safely, so thanks!!

Edited by ewengler 2011-04-26 7:44 AM

2011-04-26 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Hi guys,

My old mentor has started a new group so I'm moving over there.  It was nice "meeting" you guys.  Good luck with races/training.  Thanks Mark.  Beth/Henry - hope to see you at races this season.

Denise

2011-04-26 10:38 AM
in reply to: #3463437

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

Sweet! Thanks for the tip, Denise.

LadyNorth - 2011-04-24 5:03 PM

Henry,

Hey! Wow! Great workout.

Also, I was going to mention something that maybe you already know.  If you put Minnesota in the state field on your BT personal profile, then the Minnesota forum will show up on the forum page under "General Discussions".  Someone just started a "Chain of Lakes" thread there.  Also, there are threads organizing group rides and swims.  Most of these are in the Cities, so I can't take advantage because I'm up north.

Denise

2011-04-26 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3466111

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-26 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3466194

Veteran
Minneapolis

Sorry to see you go, Denise! Have a great race & maybe I'll see you there!

LadyNorth - 2011-04-26 8:19 AM

Hi guys,

My old mentor has started a new group so I'm moving over there.  It was nice "meeting" you guys.  Good luck with races/training.  Thanks Mark.  Beth/Henry - hope to see you at races this season.

Denise

2011-04-26 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3465248

Veteran
Minneapolis

Luckily I haven't had to kick a dog yet, but I've come close. I read somewhere that you should yell "SIT" really loudly! If a dog is trained at all, sometimes hearing a familiar command surprises it enough that it actually complies. My mom has always yelled "GO HOME" and she hasn't been bitten yet either. She rides a lot slower than I do too, so she's either been incredibly lucky for 35 years, or it works often enough to make a difference.

mwp1054 - 2011-04-25 4:31 PM If I have a dog come at me hard, the first thing I do is unclip on the side he's coming from IF I think I cannot outrun him.  If I have any space at all between me and the dog I just get going as fast as I can and rarely can they keep up.  If I can't outrun, I unclip, and wait until he/she gets close, and figure out if I can stiff leg the dog off, or if it really looks like it's going to attack.  The next part is not so nice.  Then I prepare to give it one quick, hard kick with maximum effect, because if you miss, he's gonna get you.  If he gets you first, it will be bad.  I had two friends who I train with attacked by dogs on bikes last year.  One tore her labrum in her shoulder and tore the bicep off the bone at the connecting tendon.  The other had stitches and needed some teeth replaced.  You cannot mess around with them, it's very dangerous.  When I took my wife riding Sunday, I was showing her all the houses out on the one route where there are dogs, and which ones are totally harmless and which ones I deem squirrely. 

2011-04-26 11:03 AM

Hi everyone. I have a new question. How are the swim distances measured? I raced this weekend and it went well but my swim time seems really off. It felt good it was in a lake with no current and no surf. But my time was 12:09 which seems really slow for .25 I'm not a speed demon but if I finish that distance in 8 minutes in a pool then I was thinking 10 minutes in open water. Everybody I was with had slow times for the swim and finally somebody said maybe the course was long. Is that possible?
2011-04-26 12:17 PM

CO
Hi all.  I felt really off last week, but I'm trying to kick things into higher gear.  My key workout is a brick tomorrow, 18 mi bike with a few pickups followed by a 5k.  This morning I was in the pool for 1500m, including 4x50 sprints with 20 seconds rest, followed by 4x200 at 3min 30sec intervals.  I know sprints and intervals will pay off eventually, but man were they ever painful!  Here's to keeping strong through the rest of the week!
2011-04-26 2:50 PM

Veteran
I am headed to MN this weekend and part of the trip is to scope out the Chisago Lakes tri route. I pulled the maps off the internet and we are planning to drive the routes since it is a busy weekend. Any pointers on what I should look for when I am there?  This is the only time I will be in MN before race date.
2011-04-26 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3466732

TElenor - 2011-04-26 12:17 PM Hi all.  I felt really off last week, but I'm trying to kick things into higher gear.  My key workout is a brick tomorrow, 18 mi bike with a few pickups followed by a 5k.  This morning I was in the pool for 1500m, including 4x50 sprints with 20 seconds rest, followed by 4x200 at 3min 30sec intervals.  I know sprints and intervals will pay off eventually, but man were they ever painful!  Here's to keeping strong through the rest of the week!

Sounds like a great workout.  It will pay off, keep the faith!

2011-04-26 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3466567

If the dog is not charging at me just moving towards me, I tend to talk to them first.  When I'm running, I always engage a dog as soon as I see them.  There are a lot of them on my run routes.  I talk to them and try to put them at ease.  The thing about the bike is that there are strange noises and motions and stuff and the dog's reaction is unpredictable.  I've never been overly concerned when running, but I've had a couple close calls on the bike.

2011-04-26 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3466578

It's entirely likely that the distance was not well measured.  It's also possible that you swam off course or swam longer than intended over the course of the distance.  It's constant correction of course, sometimes you just end up off.  You may also lose some speed compared to the pool depending on how hard you push off the wall in the pool.  That can really drop your times if you're efficient off the wall.  I would just say stick with it and you'll get faster.

2011-04-26 4:44 PM

CO

So as a humbling exercise I took a look at last year's race times for my 'big' race on June 19th (Boulder 5430 sprint).  Wow!  Top women in my age group were 11 - 12 min for the 800m swim, 21-22mph for the 17.1 mi bike, and coming in the 5k at 21 - 23 minutes.  

I'm planning to do my first timed 800m in the pool this upcoming Thursday to lay down a baseline.  That and looking at the swim times from last year's race reminded me to ask: what's the best way to prepare for my open water swim in June?  Specifically, how many times should I aim to practice in open water before the race?  At least 3? 4? 5?

I'm in Colorado where it takes some effort to get to open water.  I also probably won't have a wetsuit lined up until May.  Therefore I'm certainly in the pool for at least the next month.  Any advice would be appreciated!

2011-04-26 5:07 PM
in reply to: #3467489

Regular
Spruce Grove

My "big" race is at the end of June too (weekend after yours) and I'm not at all close to the times most of the women can put up, and not just in my age group. There do not seem to be a lot of recreational triathletes where I live Frown

I don't have much access to open water either - I hope to get at least one session in before the race, maybe two, but I think 3 or 4 would be better if at all manageable.

TElenor - 2011-04-26 3:44 PM

So as a humbling exercise I took a look at last year's race times for my 'big' race on June 19th (Boulder 5430 sprint).  Wow!  Top women in my age group were 11 - 12 min for the 800m swim, 21-22mph for the 17.1 mi bike, and coming in the 5k at 21 - 23 minutes.  

I'm planning to do my first timed 800m in the pool this upcoming Thursday to lay down a baseline.  That and looking at the swim times from last year's race reminded me to ask: what's the best way to prepare for my open water swim in June?  Specifically, how many times should I aim to practice in open water before the race?  At least 3? 4? 5?

I'm in Colorado where it takes some effort to get to open water.  I also probably won't have a wetsuit lined up until May.  Therefore I'm certainly in the pool for at least the next month.  Any advice would be appreciated!

2011-04-26 5:21 PM
in reply to: #3467489

Don't get intimidated by the times of others.  Everyone is different and you are only racing yourself, just remember that!  Some people train very specifically for that distance and will do incredible.  Others will be training for very long distances and just use it as a fun diversion.  Yet others, like some of you here, are just trying to do the best we can and finish our first, second, third race, whatever it is. 

On the topic of  open water swimming.  You would obviously benefit to do it as much as you can.  Don't freak out if you can't do it too much.  Bring your wetsuit to race check in, find a way to swim the day before the race if you have not done it enough.  Make sure you do it at least once.  If you have to, take it to the pool and swim there in it once or twice.  You'll look funny, but so what.  Have you ever seen the people in their tri suits?   I know I look funny as hell!  Just make sure you rinse out the suit really good with fresh water as soon as you can.  IF you can let it soak in fresh water in a tub for a few hours, even better.

2011-04-26 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3467207

Veteran
Minneapolis

Are you looking for things to do in Chisago or will you be spending any time in the Twin Cities, which are about 35 minutes away?

Threejs - 2011-04-26 2:50 PM I am headed to MN this weekend and part of the trip is to scope out the Chisago Lakes tri route. I pulled the maps off the internet and we are planning to drive the routes since it is a busy weekend. Any pointers on what I should look for when I am there?  This is the only time I will be in MN before race date.

2011-04-26 8:14 PM

thanks for all the dog advice - I was attacked by a black lab in 2nd grade and still have scars on my face, so I think I will get some pepper spray - don't worry, I am only going to use it if I see teeth.  I am not interested in engaging any dog, but I get what you are saying.  I am also going to try to find some bike routes.  I got some shoes and clips, so tonight as I watch Dancing with the stars (lame, I know) I am going to be practicing over and over till I feel I wont wipe out tomorrow.  We are going to Chicago this weekend to visit my sister - she lives downtown on Grand.  Any suggestions on shopping?  I need a tri-suit,  and yes,Mark they are so lovely .  You are all so inspiring with your speed drills and techniques and diets - I am trying to take it all in but mostly just trying to get through my plan, 3xbike,run and 4x swim.  I have not even added strength training still, although I did print out what you sent Mark, and I hope to try it soon.  All this takes alot of time!  In between volunteering at church and both my kids schools and doing laundry,etc....  I guess I am just too lazy to get up before 6:30 - although I am finding the closer the race day comes, the more motivated I am.  AND - I am actually fitting into my pre-kid clothes and that is really nice!  My daughter asked me why my arm doesn't jiggle anymore!!  Too funny.  I really didn't plan on losing weight (which I haven't - I actually went from 125 to 131)  but my waist is shrinking.  Ladies - when are you finding time to clean?    Have a good night everyone, Kimberly    p.s. 33 miles??!!  Insane - but awesome!
2011-04-26 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3467207

Regular
Minnesota

Threejs - 2011-04-26 2:50 PM I am headed to MN this weekend and part of the trip is to scope out the Chisago Lakes tri route. I pulled the maps off the internet and we are planning to drive the routes since it is a busy weekend. Any pointers on what I should look for when I am there?  This is the only time I will be in MN before race date.

I am doing Chisago too--the sprint. Never done it before but friends have done both sprint and HIM. I'm not sure what I'd say to look out for but driving the bike course is a good idea. I don't know if they marked the transition on the maps but it might help to get an idea of how that might work because people have complained about the tightness of them--obviously there's nothing there now, but visiting the site might give you a sense.  People say the swim is a bear because of the huge numbers of people who do this race --it's a real washing machine. That's what I know.

2011-04-26 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3466525

Regular
Minnesota
TSimone - 2011-04-26 10:42 AM
ewengler - 2011-04-26 8:44 AM 

I actually found my injuries decreased when I incorporated speedwork and tempo runs into my training.  I had been simply grinding out miles every day.  Then I started using the FIRST program.  It really helped. 

I suppose if your form is bad, speedwork could increase the chance for injury because of the added pounding you will take, but if your form is bad you'll eventually get injured anyway no matter how fast or slowly you run.  It sounds like that's not the case with you.  As with anything, gradual buildup will help reduce the risk for injury.  Take a look into Chi running as well.  I try to use that method, although I'm not sure I'm always 100% successful.

Thanks TSimone. That's encouraging. I try to use the Chi running techniques as much as possible but I have never heard of FIRST. I'm going to google it.

2011-04-26 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3467828

I'm way out in the suburbs, so don't know any tri shops in the city, but my club has a city chapter, so I'll see what I can find out.  If you're downtown, there's not a prettier place to run than the lakefront. 

Stick with your training, do what you can do, just do your best, don't let it overwhelm you.  One of my training buddies flies for UPS ( I think it's your husband who does that) and I know it makes his training hard, and family life when he's gone challenging.

I'll see what I can find out on tri shops.  It's supposed to be another nasty weekend.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 30