BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-02-15 11:16 AM
in reply to: #4048090

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Subject: RE: esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed
Tambo1221 - 2012-02-14 10:28 PM

Well gang...i hate to admit this but I think I may have plantar fasciitis...all my Internet research leads me to this conclusion. I will schedule an appt with a doc. Not sure how this will fit into my training plan. I can't quit. Maybe lots more swimming??? Please keep your fingers crossed that I've completely misdiagnosed myself, as I'm finally feeling good about running again!!Thanks goonies...happy heart day!Tammy

Hey Tambo, no giving up yet, even if you do have a full on case you can train yourself out of it. My DW is doing Adventure Boot Camp 5x per week. got some pretty severe (self-diagnosed) PF but with lots of deep massage by me (a few choice words by her ), lots of Tiger Balm, new and different workout shoes, and Dr. Scholls orthodics she is better than ever in about 1 month. And even more amazing is she didn't take any time off BC just decreased her intensity a little when she felt it was getting worse. Hang in there

2012-02-15 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4048090

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Tambo1221 - 2012-02-14 9:28 PM Well gang...i hate to admit this but I think I may have plantar fasciitis...all my Internet research leads me to this conclusion. I will schedule an appt with a doc. Not sure how this will fit into my training plan. I can't quit. Maybe lots more swimming??? Please keep your fingers crossed that I've completely misdiagnosed myself, as I'm finally feeling good about running again!!Thanks goonies...happy heart day!Tammy

Tambo-

I can help you out here.  When I was a super big guy with super tight hamstrings/calfs I had developed plantar fasciitis a few years back.  Still have it, never goes away..  If you push your finger right at the end of our heal bone in your arch and it hurts like hell.  If you have pain in your arch after sitting a while when you stand up, you for sure have a spur build up on your fascia.  Mine was pretty big and very painful.  I even had it growing on the top of the heal where my Achilles tendon attached to my heal. 

So, I went to two different foot docs and each had advised of a stretching regimen and gave me cortisone shots in my arch where the spur is located (hurts like hell).  This only numbed the area for a while then the pain would come back.  So after getting shot up like 10 times over the course of a two years, buying two pairs of $700 custom made orthodic insoles I tried a third doc.  This move saved me!!  He took ex rays, felt my legs (calf's) for flexibility and advised that I had the most stiff legs he had ever seen.  This extreme stiffness and weight had caused a significant amount of spur to develop.  So, long story short - he refused to shoot me up like the other docs and advised that I need to stretch my calf/hamstring out almost every moment I can think of.  He even had me go to PE for a couple weeks to show me the stretching regimen.  I followed their advise and the pain slowly went away in a couple weeks.  I ditched the orthopedic insoles and have not had any paid for the last three years.  If this is what you are diagnosed with, stretch, stretch and stretch.  It works!

2012-02-15 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4048967

User image

Regular
NWA

coolgenes - 2012-02-15 11:16 AM
Tambo1221 - 2012-02-14 10:28 PM Well gang...i hate to admit this but I think I may have plantar fasciitis...all my Internet research leads me to this conclusion. I will schedule an appt with a doc. Not sure how this will fit into my training plan. I can't quit. Maybe lots more swimming??? Please keep your fingers crossed that I've completely misdiagnosed myself, as I'm finally feeling good about running again!!Thanks goonies...happy heart day!Tammy
Hey Tambo, no giving up yet, even if you do have a full on case you can train yourself out of it. My DW is doing Adventure Boot Camp 5x per week. got some pretty severe (self-diagnosed) PF but with lots of deep massage by me (a few choice words by her ), lots of Tiger Balm, new and different workout shoes, and Dr. Scholls orthodics she is better than ever in about 1 month. And even more amazing is she didn't take any time off BC just decreased her intensity a little when she felt it was getting worse. Hang in there

Thanks - I ordered my new Brooks running shoes about 10 minutes ago - so maybe this will help.  I have had mine about 3 years..but nowhere near 500 miles on them...so I'm guessing they just lose their stability after time, even without the mileage.  I may schedule a massage appt for just my left foot...all the videos online swear by that...

So, I'm thinking more time in the pool and on the bike and less running until the pain goes away...and lots of foot strengthening exercises.

Here's to quick healing!

2012-02-15 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4049011

User image

Regular
NWA
Joeyj1974 - 2012-02-15 11:39 AM

Tambo1221 - 2012-02-14 9:28 PM Well gang...i hate to admit this but I think I may have plantar fasciitis...all my Internet research leads me to this conclusion. I will schedule an appt with a doc. Not sure how this will fit into my training plan. I can't quit. Maybe lots more swimming??? Please keep your fingers crossed that I've completely misdiagnosed myself, as I'm finally feeling good about running again!!Thanks goonies...happy heart day!Tammy

Tambo-

I can help you out here.  When I was a super big guy with super tight hamstrings/calfs I had developed plantar fasciitis a few years back.  Still have it, never goes away..  If you push your finger right at the end of our heal bone in your arch and it hurts like hell.  If you have pain in your arch after sitting a while when you stand up, you for sure have a spur build up on your fascia.  Mine was pretty big and very painful.  I even had it growing on the top of the heal where my Achilles tendon attached to my heal. 

So, I went to two different foot docs and each had advised of a stretching regimen and gave me cortisone shots in my arch where the spur is located (hurts like hell).  This only numbed the area for a while then the pain would come back.  So after getting shot up like 10 times over the course of a two years, buying two pairs of $700 custom made orthodic insoles I tried a third doc.  This move saved me!!  He took ex rays, felt my legs (calf's) for flexibility and advised that I had the most stiff legs he had ever seen.  This extreme stiffness and weight had caused a significant amount of spur to develop.  So, long story short - he refused to shoot me up like the other docs and advised that I need to stretch my calf/hamstring out almost every moment I can think of.  He even had me go to PE for a couple weeks to show me the stretching regimen.  I followed their advise and the pain slowly went away in a couple weeks.  I ditched the orthopedic insoles and have not had any paid for the last three years.  If this is what you are diagnosed with, stretch, stretch and stretch.  It works!

Joey - you describe my pain exactly...it actually doesn't hurt much while I'm physically moving...but the instant I slow down or stop...O.M.G.  Awful pain...like I couldn't support my body weight and fell down kinda pain.  I'm guessing I have spur build-up - it bothers me most after sitting at my desk writing/reading - and I stand up...ouch!  Or first thing in the morning when I first get out of bed.  It feels like a rock is embedded in the tissue of my heel and when I step on it - it feels like it could puncture my tough heel skin and jut out...I appreciate what you wore about other docs, because I read alot of stuff like that on the internet...I won't be buying orthodics...most of the things I read said it actually just weakens the muscle tissue more - and what I need to do is strengthen the muscle/tissue.  I have read about lots of exercises and will do them...actually started the towel grab this morning.

Thank so much for you input - and it really affirms what I think was happening anyway...

Do ya'll think I need to go the doc anyway? 

Tam

2012-02-15 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4049075

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Tambo1221 - 2012-02-15 1:06 PM

Joey - you describe my pain exactly...it actually doesn't hurt much while I'm physically moving...but the instant I slow down or stop...O.M.G.  Awful pain...like I couldn't support my body weight and fell down kinda pain.  I'm guessing I have spur build-up - it bothers me most after sitting at my desk writing/reading - and I stand up...ouch!  Or first thing in the morning when I first get out of bed.  It feels like a rock is embedded in the tissue of my heel and when I step on it - it feels like it could puncture my tough heel skin and jut out...I appreciate what you wore about other docs, because I read alot of stuff like that on the internet...I won't be buying orthodics...most of the things I read said it actually just weakens the muscle tissue more - and what I need to do is strengthen the muscle/tissue.  I have read about lots of exercises and will do them...actually started the towel grab this morning.

Thank so much for you input - and it really affirms what I think was happening anyway...

Do ya'll think I need to go the doc anyway? 

Tam

If you have time, I would still go to the Dr. never know, he could be a good one and really help you out. Also I was thinking that you had it in both legs, is it just one? Do you cross your legs a lot while sitting? If it is only one leg then something's out of balance, much worse than if both legs but usually easier to diagnose the problem.
2012-02-15 1:27 PM
in reply to: #3955221

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Tambo -

I know what you mean!!!  I sometimes laid in bed longer than I wanted to just because I didn't want to get on my feet due to the soon to be standing on needles feeling.  I would look like a cripple until the tendon stretched, warmed up, loosened up a bit - whatever. 

DR visit is your call, but I would try and stretch for weeks then see how the pain is.  If you have good insurance with a minimal co-pay it wouldn't hurt.  Basically, there is only preventative treatment, such as stretching that will minimize the pain.  My brother also got this problem long before I did and after listening to my story and following my stretching recommendation, he says the pain is gone.  He was bigger than me and had the pain for years.

Once it's gone it seems easy to keep the pain away.  Stay limber

2012-02-16 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Tambo, there is a thread in the triathlon talk forum not sure how to put in a hyperlink (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=425613&posts=24&start=1).

Jeff, are you going to use Carmichael's training program? Which one?
2012-02-16 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Edited by jeffnboise 2012-02-16 10:48 AM
2012-02-16 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

To all the PF and lower leg/foot issues; all I can say is........BAREFOOT RUNNING!  It takes a long time to break yourself into it without hurting yourself, but you're rehabbing anyway, right?  Our feet were simply not designed to be held in place by 'support' shoes.   Read "Born To Run"-you can skim through alot of it, but pay particular attention to the anthropology behind our feet and running.  I have creditied it with helping my feet, a gimpy knee and persistant lower back issues. 

If all that is TOO much like running 'voodoo', then do this....get a lacrosse ball, put it in the shower and stand on it while showering-roll that dude over those sore spots.  

2012-02-16 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

triple post-sorry...So waht's up? 

Edited by jeffnboise 2012-02-16 10:49 AM
2012-02-16 11:40 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
Good Morning All..

Today's plan is listed below.  Another great day being at home and being 100% on track.  I found out from my friend in SoCal can do the May 20th Olympic Distance Tri in Mission Viejo, CA.  I know in the past a lot of the pros did this one.  Now I need to book my flight (thanks to a bazillion southwest points) and lock down a bike.  I think I can borrow either a Felt AR1 or Cervelo P4 from my buddy.  I stole my 5.2sl Medone from ($800).  Now I need to re-do my oly training plan.  Going to hit the gym at lunch for a spin class (for fun) and my planned 30 min swim. 

Meals:
M1  Protein Shake & apple
M2  Coaches oats - plain with handful of raisins
M3  Post workout shake
M4  Grilled Chicken Breast & Mixed Salad
M5  Blackened fish with steamed veggies

Training:
1 hour spin class
30 min swim

2012-02-16 4:15 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Hey Gang!  Sounds like we've got lots going on!  Folks signing up for races, folks dealing with PF, and folks running without shoes (oh my)!

On the issue of PF - if your insurance covers it, I would go ahead and see a doc.  See if you can talk to someone who frequently works with runners or other athletes.  They'll be more likely to help you take care of the issue while still allowing you to get out there and train.

I managed to get outside for a long run in the sunshine.  We haven't seen the big yellow orb in a few days so it was nice to have a reason to put on my shades.  It was also nice to have some warmer temps.  I love being able to run without having to wear layer about layer of clothing.

I am off to the Purdue Women's basketball game.  Hope everyone has a great evening! 

2012-02-16 5:05 PM
in reply to: #4050343

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

coolgenes - 2012-02-16 6:52 AM Tambo, there is a thread in the triathlon talk forum not sure how to put in a hyperlink (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=425613&posts=24&start=1). Jeff, are you going to use Carmichael's training program? Which one?

I'm going to "try" the Time Crunched Athlete-Olympic distance.  My problem however, is this...I don't just do Tri's.  I do 1/2 Mary's, and several Century rides.  I just don't know how TCT will work with my desire to do some longer runs/rides.

2012-02-16 5:10 PM

User image

been waaaay out of the loop, but have been reading/enjoying your posts as I think I could have written them all! 

Dealt with the PF issue for years, last year was the first that I haven't battled it.  spent many hours rolling my foot over a frozen vodka bottle (cold glass feels better than cold plastic water bottle, and a little lime and tonic goes a long way in making me forget about it).  saw docs, got ortho inserts, ditched doc and inserts, went to stretching and icing and ibuprofen like crazy.  Worked for me, but dear hubby is still plagued.  I suspecting arthritis for him and the fact that he never stretches and won't see doc. Good news for hubby is that he is in Week 7 of the 0To1650 swim training and I'm amazed that he is now able to swim 1500 yards with 1000 non-stop.  And if I don't watch myself, he's going to beat me in the swim!  I did switch to zero drop shoes for my short runs (I swear I'm faster in them), but still using the foot coffins for my longer runs (until I'm more used to the new shoes).

Diet issues - ugh. lets not go there  - I've gain five instead of losing 6.  You do the math.  So officially I'm an athena, but that will  not last for long once I bump up the intensity.  Was in a commerical last week to promote a local series of triathlons and was not too thrilled about the extra winter weight jiggling out of my tri top.

On a good note - completed the inaugural St. Pete's Rock and Roll half marathon last Sunday in Florida, where the temp at the start line was a balmy 40 degrees with 20 mph winds out of the north, leaving a windchill near 30.  Geez, that was great for running except for the going north part, and not so good for the beach!  They put on a fantastic race, with Flo Rida for the post race dance-a-thon, a cool medal, and only missed a PR by 27 seconds with some really decent miles in there up until around mile 11.  considering my training over the winter, I'm happy with it and know I gotta keep working! 

My race, er event schedule for the year is packed with some really fun stuff  (couple three sprints, a mtn bike camp weekend, a couple century rides, an Oly, an HIM, another half marathon and the CHICAGO marathon - which I swore I'd never do again but when your 21 year old daughter who's only just run her first half marathon says she wants to do Chicago, well, how can I turn that down?).  Busy year, but all with great friends! Oh, and I'm also doing my first stint as a pacer at a local half marathon - I think it will be fun to help encourage others to be part of the 1% (only 1% of the world's population has completed a half marathon - I think I read that somewhere) - who knows how many have gone to the wild side of triathlons?

I'm impressed by all of you juggling families and training - I wish I had started all this crazy stuff years ago!  Thanks for the book recommendations too.  I read the Long Run last week (not crazy about it), and Iron Fit is on my Kindle.  I'm looking for the Time Crunched Triathlete - didn't know there were a series of these...I'm sticking though to the silver plan HIM program here on BT - really love how they break down the workouts.

Have a great weekend all!

2012-02-17 9:43 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Good Morning Peeps!!

The week home seems to be flying by  I'm looking forward to this weekend as the whole family will be heading up to Winter Park Ski Resort on Sunday. This will be my kids first time - I hope they have fun and like it. My fear is they will want to get out of the cold not to long after we get there as they are California kids to the bone! What ever happens we will make an adventure out of it.

Yesterday I totally pushed myself too far in the gym. The pool was packed when I arrived, so I jumped on the treadmill for a 3 mile run while waiting for the spin class to start. Well after sweating about 10 lbs and burning over 1200 calories, my body was in dehydration mode all day. Couldn't get the headache to go away. So today I will be back to the gym to get my swim in followed by a UBWO & give the legs some rest.

On another good note, I jumped on the scale as I know the pounds were melting off this week - solid workouts and 100% on my meals.  I'm now down 20 lbs since Jan!!  Feeling in the groove big time.  I hope this will carry me through my travel week next week.  Thursday & Friday will be torture though.  I will be traveling with a couple of our EVP's and CEO = expensive restaurants and cocktails on Thursday night.. Looking forward to flying with them on the private jet from SLC to PHX and staying at the Ritz in Phoenix, that will be cool. 

Planned Meals:
M1 Coaches Oats - plain with raisins
M2 Fat Free Greek Yogurt
M3 Taco Salad - ground turkey with some black beans, brown rice and salsa on a bead of lettuce
M4 Recovery shake
M5 Not sure yet

Training:
30 Min Swim
UBWO

2012-02-17 10:13 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Hey, all-

I've been completely underwater at work this week (and battling a little cold to boot)...I don't have time to catch up now, but will try to later this weekend. My husband & girls are going to a daddy-daughter dance this weekend, so I have hours of free time to play on the Internet, watch bad TV, and eat mushroom pizza (they hate mushrooms).

My 1/2 mary is 4 weeks from this coming Sunday and I'm looking forward to it. Weird - usually at this time I'm freaking out for lack of preparation, but I've been pretty solid this entire time. First time for everything!

Hope to be around more in the future!

Kristen

2012-02-17 10:14 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Oh, and PS - my promotion to full professor with tenure became official yesterday (although I have to keep the Associate Prof tag on until July). Whoot whoot!

Much celebration will ensue tonight (after sharing a fantastically decadent bottle of good champagne with hubby last night).
2012-02-17 2:28 PM
in reply to: #4052759

User image

Regular
NWA
Joeyj1974 - 2012-02-17 9:43 AM

Good Morning Peeps!!

The week home seems to be flying by  I'm looking forward to this weekend as the whole family will be heading up to Winter Park Ski Resort on Sunday. This will be my kids first time - I hope they have fun and like it. My fear is they will want to get out of the cold not to long after we get there as they are California kids to the bone! What ever happens we will make an adventure out of it.

Yesterday I totally pushed myself too far in the gym. The pool was packed when I arrived, so I jumped on the treadmill for a 3 mile run while waiting for the spin class to start. Well after sweating about 10 lbs and burning over 1200 calories, my body was in dehydration mode all day. Couldn't get the headache to go away. So today I will be back to the gym to get my swim in followed by a UBWO & give the legs some rest.

On another good note, I jumped on the scale as I know the pounds were melting off this week - solid workouts and 100% on my meals.  I'm now down 20 lbs since Jan!!  Feeling in the groove big time.  I hope this will carry me through my travel week next week.  Thursday & Friday will be torture though.  I will be traveling with a couple of our EVP's and CEO = expensive restaurants and cocktails on Thursday night.. Looking forward to flying with them on the private jet from SLC to PHX and staying at the Ritz in Phoenix, that will be cool. 

Planned Meals:
M2 Fat Free Greek Yogurt
M3 Taco Salad - ground turkey with some black beans, brown rice and salsa on a bead of lettuce
M4 Recovery shake
M5 Not sure yet

Training:
30 Min Swim
UBWO

Wow, Joey way to kick it this week...and now you're skiing over the weekend!  I'm jealous of that!  Love WP!

Have fun on de plane, boss!  Sounds awesome...cocktails, too...SWEET.

Enjoy your weekend!

P.S. - been stretching like mad.

2012-02-17 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4052879

User image

Regular
NWA

enders_shadow - 2012-02-17 10:14 AM Oh, and PS - my promotion to full professor with tenure became official yesterday (although I have to keep the Associate Prof tag on until July). Whoot whoot! Much celebration will ensue tonight (after sharing a fantastically decadent bottle of good champagne with hubby last night).

Congratulations!!!  Very cool...Celebrate big!

2012-02-17 2:32 PM

User image

Regular
NWA

Alright - Question from Tam's...

I am rapidly coming to the end of my couch to sprint training program (I think I have about 2 wks left)...and my first race isn't until May 19th...what program would you suggest I move to next? (of course, this is pending the PF issues are resolved)

T.

2012-02-17 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4051735

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
jeffnboise - 2012-02-16 6:05 PM

coolgenes - 2012-02-16 6:52 AM Tambo, there is a thread in the triathlon talk forum not sure how to put in a hyperlink (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=425613&posts=24&start=1). Jeff, are you going to use Carmichael's training program? Which one?

I'm going to "try" the Time Crunched Athlete-Olympic distance.  My problem however, is this...I don't just do Tri's.  I do 1/2 Mary's, and several Century rides.  I just don't know how TCT will work with my desire to do some longer runs/rides.

I have not seen the TCT plans so I'm sort of winging it here but...

You might be able to mix and match to meet your needs for the longer distance training.  It's been my personal experience that do 2 intense sessions on the bike along with 1 endurance session has been sufficient to get me through 2 HIMs.  I imagine you can probably get away with the same for a Century ride.  Going on the assumption that the plan has 3 bike sessions each week, you can do two shorter sessions as prescribed and then sub out the third workout for a long ride.

Running is a whole different ballgame.  Most of us can't get away with intense running 3x a week.  It's a recipe for injury.  It's my personal opinion that you get a lot of benefit from just running more frequently and leaving out the intensity but this goes against the whole purpose of a "time-crunched" plan.  If the HM falls in the middle of tri training you'll have to make a decision - focus on running and let biking and swimming take a back seat or train all three sports and suffer a little run fitness.

If you're just in this for the fun and fitness of it and not so worried about setting course records and winning hardware then I say pick a plan that fits the race you are most excited about.  Use that as your base plan and fit in some extra running, biking, and/or swimming to help get you to the finish line of all the other races with a smile on your face.

2012-02-17 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4052759

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Joeyj1974 - 2012-02-17 10:43 AM

Good Morning Peeps!!

Planned Meals:
M2 Fat Free Greek Yogurt
M4 Recovery shake
M5 Not sure yet

Training:
30 Min Swim
UBWO

Congrats on the weight loss!  That's awesome.

Enjoy the weekend with the fam!

2012-02-17 4:08 PM
in reply to: #4052879

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

enders_shadow - 2012-02-17 11:14 AM Oh, and PS - my promotion to full professor with tenure became official yesterday (although I have to keep the Associate Prof tag on until July). Whoot whoot! Much celebration will ensue tonight (after sharing a fantastically decadent bottle of good champagne with hubby last night).

Congrats!  I wish you a wonderful night of celebration and a hangover free Saturday!

2012-02-17 4:14 PM
in reply to: #4053522

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Tambo1221 - 2012-02-17 3:32 PM

Alright - Question from Tam's...

I am rapidly coming to the end of my couch to sprint training program (I think I have about 2 wks left)...and my first race isn't until May 19th...what program would you suggest I move to next? (of course, this is pending the PF issues are resolved)

T.

What distance is your first race?  If you're signed up for a sprint race I would suggest you take a look at either the 12 wek beginner sprint or the 12 week basic sprint.  If the PF is still bugging you, you can do the suggested swim and bike workouts and modify the run training to meet your needs (ie drop any intensity and lower the workout duration). 

2012-02-17 4:19 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Talk about padding my post count...

I am just about done with my work day.  It's been a low key day so I've turned my last hour into goof-off time.  I plan to get in a nice easy treadmill run in this evening and then I have to get to bed.  I'm working 4a-4p tomorrow so I have to get up at 230 in the morning.  Boo.  On the plus side, I'll be out of work early enough tomorrow to be able to run outside.  Yay!

Have a good weekend, all!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  

of 23