of 44

2013-06-19 7:00 PM
in reply to: JillB

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN

Originally posted by JillB
Originally posted by Nadscats No racing for me. Trying to get back on the training train. Had a pitty party for about a week wanting to just stop cause I was just overwhelmed with training. I have 6 cats, 2 dogs (a 2yr old lab mix and a 90lb, 8 month old Yellow Lab, that go 90mph, all day, every day), and my husband is in Afghanistan, so mix the pressure of running my home life with the pressure of training....well...I think you all know what happens. My house is a mess, my yard looks like crap, I have not washed my car, and I forgot to put the garbage out. I have had friends reach out to me and am going to do some group stuff to get my groove back. I cant beleive the race is coming up so fast, but, I do feel more prepared right now than I did on race day last time so I guess that is a plus. Going to do my 1st open water this year tomorrow, hoping that goes well. My next race is a HIM July 13th, funny, have not even thought about that one. Doing a 4hr ride today with lots of hills and a nice trail run this evening. I think I need a class in Time Management..
Don't be too hard on yourself. Life makes things difficult sometimes, but it sounds like you're ready to get back at it. Getting out there with friends is my best way (or at least most enjoyable) way to get back on track. Good luck with your open water swim tomorrow! Suzy, that sounds like great news with your Parlee. Enjoy your time in Minocqua! My husband wrote up a training plan for me to help keep me on track. It seems I need something written on paper for me to get motivated in the mornings. I still have quite a bit of time before my sprint (which I need!,) so hopefully I'll be ready. I feel ridiculous with how new I am compared to everyone here, so I don't have a whole lot to offer yet, but I'm getting better every day! I would love to do the inspires, but the few that I've looked at are restricted? Do I need to add everyone as a friend? How does that work?

That is weird.  I haven't come across anyone in the group who is restricted.  I wonder if it is a glitch with the new site?????

And you have things to offer Jill.  Some of us may have more experience than others, but how do you know whether or not we ever thought of your POV before? haven't you ever been in a meeting and decide not to say something because you feel everyone knows it or it is stupid only to have someone else say it and appear to be the genius?  Take the risk!

2013-06-19 7:40 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Homework part 2:  I'm starting to look into buying a tri bike.  One of the bikes I am looking at is from a company here in Japan.  Some of the Japanese pro triathletes and cyclists are using their bikes.  Anyway, here is a shot of what the bike looks like.   The other possibilities (limited due to my "reach" size limitations) are Cervelo, Cannondale and Specialized.   I'm leaning towards the local company simply because other manufacturers are so marked up.

(Boma Elan.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Boma Elan.jpg (99KB - 6 downloads)
2013-06-19 8:28 PM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Master
Maryland
Dan that looks like a beautiful tri bike. Nice wheels!
I have a Cannondale road bike that I love.
I'm just fearful of being out on the road now by myself. Too many people are getting killed every year, very sad.
2013-06-19 9:02 PM
in reply to: kt65

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Originally posted by kt65 I always wanted to make (or keep) the teacher happy. ?? I am out on the east coast right now, for a workshop that Kathy is doing, enjoying summer temps and humidity in Pittsburgh, PA. So far, it's been great, I did my long run, swam once, intend to swim again tomorrow and run before we go back Saturday. Pittsburgh is a hilly city! Peeps are very nice here. Nadine, it sounds like you are doing the very best you can. Hope your ride went well, I also have an HIM on July 13th with Linda N...remind her to leave sunscreen in T2, because she will have to wait awhile for me this year. A little laid back, my goals are very modest this time around and I have decided I am okay with that. I have the late start this year and if its even remotely warm, I will be wilting as usual. Okay, Jayne! Do I get a bronze star? Btw, nice job, Suzy! Love the toughness!

Where's Fatty?  I'm sure he'd have something to say about that comment! Tongue out

It's a gold star for you, Kim

star

2013-06-19 10:55 PM

User image

New user
Jayne's shows restricted, maybe not set to public view??
2013-06-20 6:58 AM
in reply to: Nadscats

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

Yeah it would not let me view Jaynes either. I am glad we finally made it off page 17.

I did 3 miles this morning.I have MTB TT this evening. What are your training plans for today?

2013-06-20 7:59 AM
in reply to: mbehr1983

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Just an fyi that I can view Jayne's logs, etc.  She is in my "Friends" list - not sure if that is a factor.
2013-06-20 9:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Good Morning, all!  Nice motivator, Jayne!!

Well, we went ahead and entered Zach into the Sprint (no qualifier needed) because the RD and Timing guy aren't being helpful AT ALL.  Very frustrating.  USAT isn't budging, even though the results are posted.  Ah, well, rules.  However, they did suggest that we enter him in the sprint, add him to the waitlist when results come in, and cross our fingers.  He'd much rather race the OLY, but wants to race so badly, he'll take the sprint.

Looks like Jeff is going to be able to wrap it around a work trip, so it'll be Jeff and Zach.  Jeff'll be in Chicago, so Zach will fly in there (LOTS cheaper, only 67 miles away) and then they'll drive into MKE Thursday evening.  Zach'll race Sat if he get the OLY slot, Sunday if he's sprinting.  They'll fly home Sunday night, Zach starts his Senior year Tuesday.  WHEW.

I'm not going.  It would cost $600-700, and I've seen all of his other races.  Our travel stuff is out of control this year.  And, we (Jeff & I) had a 100-miler scheduled - somebody's got to keep the training going!

Sorry Suzy, and Dino......so bummed I won't get to see you!!!!  Dino, thanks for the info, however, Zach's just gonna go with the hopes that your definition of 'hill' isn't the same as his.  Topo makes it looks like one hill is so steep it's almost backwards!  And, please warm up that lake.  Wink

Not racing this weekend.  Time to really work on the HIM (TRYING to catch Kim!!) and IM training.  Time is really splipping away here!!!  3 weeks to Vineman, 13 to IMLT.  GULP.

Think I'll run to the pool today.

I also posted to the tri forum - anybody got any advice on shipping a bike?  logistics, cost, etc?  TBT is $275, with our coupon!

Edited by velcromom 2013-06-20 9:46 AM
2013-06-20 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Originally posted by velcromom  Sorry Suzy, and Dino......so bummed I won't get to see you!!!!  Dino, thanks for the info, however, Zach's just gonna go with the hopes that your definition of 'hill' isn't the same as his.  Topo makes it looks like one hill is so steep it's almost backwards!  And, please warm up that lake.  Wink

I also posted to the tri forum - anybody got any advice on shipping a bike?  logistics, cost, etc?  TBT is $275, with our coupon!

Linda, sorry we will miss you.  If Jeff or Zach need anything, just let me know.  Like I said earlier, I live about 90 blocks from the course.  AND we do have some hills around here.  No mountains, but if you've watched any pro bike racing recently, both Matt Busche (from RadioShack team) who just got beat by 150 meters in the mountain top finish for Stage 5 of the Tour of Dauphine by Contador and Jim Stemper (from Kenda / 5hour energy team) who was in almost every break of the Tour of California this year are both from here.  So, they obviously learned how to climb somewhere? 

Lake temp was 53 this morning..... so bring a good wetsuit and hope for a wind out of the east, which doesn't happen very often!

Bike shipping?  I would use tri-bike transport if at all possible.  Decent rates but much less chance of damage or issues during the trip.  Being easy is worth something! 

My recovering triathlete therapy continues as I start my 10 day stage race Friday and have been "taper banannas" all week and wearing out the Minnows e-mail.  Hoping for a podium in the 45+ age group.  We will see if I can carry my successful Cyclocross season into the summer.   

Finally, there has been some talk about the benefits of training with others.  Here is some scientific proof.  So, go ride with someone else.....  just make sure they are faster than you! 

& just for old times sake.   REPRESENT!!!

Edited by badgerintx 2013-06-20 11:07 AM
2013-06-20 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Originally posted by kt65 I always wanted to make (or keep) the teacher happy. ?? I am out on the east coast right now, for a workshop that Kathy is doing, enjoying summer temps and humidity in Pittsburgh, PA. So far, it's been great, I did my long run, swam once, intend to swim again tomorrow and run before we go back Saturday. Pittsburgh is a hilly city! Peeps are very nice here. Nadine, it sounds like you are doing the very best you can. Hope your ride went well, I also have an HIM on July 13th with Linda N...remind her to leave sunscreen in T2, because she will have to wait awhile for me this year. A little laid back, my goals are very modest this time around and I have decided I am okay with that. I have the late start this year and if its even remotely warm, I will be wilting as usual. Okay, Jayne! Do I get a bronze star? Btw, nice job, Suzy! Love the toughness!

While you may have different priorities this year, I have no doubt you will give it 110% and deliver an outstanding result.  True that! Kyla's phrase...where the heck is that girl?

Here I am!!!

Been cray-cray busy (and I talk like an 11-year-old these days, it's sooo NOT totes adorbs, LOL!). Anyway, last day of school was yesterday, graduation stuff this week (yes, we celebrate 5th-grade graduations -- my totes adorbs daughter even was chosen to make a speech at hers), parties, keeping the family in check... Super exhausting. BUT!!!! Today is the first day of summer vacation! And it's 55 degrees and raining, OF COURSE. Welcome to the PNW. Swim meet tonight (major rain in the forecast, soooo not looking forward to this!).

Ummmm, what were the other questions? (ADHD moment... Squirrel!!!!) No racing. I try to post one inspire/day. I'll try to make it two.

Crap, can't remember the other question but dangit I'm the total teacher's pet and MUST get 100% here...

ETA: OK, I covered the assignment, provided I get in my two inspires. No racing, talked about kids, I'll mention training -- I'm still just running and some days I do a focused workout and some days I just run. Now with summer upon me, it's all about squeezing things around the kid's schedule, they are my No. One Priority (wouldn't have it any other way). Both are swimming now, daughter is playing soccer, we have some home projects in the works (my son must remove 10 things/day from his room all summer long -- by the end we hope we can organize it a bit! and I must tend to my neglected "piles" that have been in "when school is out I'll deal with this" mode). Anything else you wanna read about?? I feel like I probably have some catching-up to do, but it's all good. I'd like more coffee now. Later, peeps!!!

Edited by kkcbelle 2013-06-20 12:29 PM
2013-06-20 3:19 PM
in reply to: kkcbelle

User image

Champion

What a great day! Kyla and Dino post on the same page within hours of each other!!!  Woo-Hoo!  We're on a roll.  Now if we could only get Fatty or Trevor or RP or Steve to stop by.

Dino, you ARE going to podium silly.  Say it with me!

Mike, hope you enjoy that MTB ride!

Linda, BOO-HOO.  I was hoping to see you!

Jayne, I can see her stuff.  I think I might be special!

Dan, Love the look of the bike, especially that back wheel.  What is it?

I had this crazy 4x1m repeat thing today and then got another solid hour plus on the pretty bike.  I have a threshold test on Sunday and I've already decided to take it to Minocqua to see if I can rev the engines a little more. Laughing

2013-06-20 5:38 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Mike, good luck at your MTB ride!

Dino, you will knock it out of the park during your stage race! You have put in all the hard work. REPRESENT!!
2013-06-20 6:01 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Elite
san francisco
Good luck on the MTB TT, Mike!

Dino, go get 'em!!!

Hey guys, how do you put a photo on your dashboard (of the training log)?

When i hit the little tree, it has a box for the image URL and I just want to use a photo from my iPad...

Thank you!
2013-06-20 6:13 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Good luck Dino!!

You are definitely special Suzy.   BOMA makes quite a few different carbon wheels - mostly tubular.  The one on the back is an 85mm tubular.   That is why I was asking about tubulars a while backSmile

2013-06-20 7:16 PM
in reply to: kt65

User image

Champion

Originally posted by kt65 Good luck on the MTB TT, Mike! Dino, go get 'em!!! Hey guys, how do you put a photo on your dashboard (of the training log)? When i hit the little tree, it has a box for the image URL and I just want to use a photo from my iPad... Thank you!

Good luck with that.  the only thing I've been able to do is upload it to Picasa or another site and then use the little tree!

Dan, 85mm?  Mine are 53s and I thought those were wide!  Still working with my old wheel on the front and the tubular on the back.

2013-06-20 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

I do think my profile is set so that only friends can see my logs, so add me to your friends list and you should be good to go.  There hasn't been much to see until the last couple of weeks.  I'm finally getting some sort of schedule going for the time being.

I feel like you all know me well enough I should give you a little "personal" update.  My husband and I separated, and I moved out back in April.  I rented a basement "apartment" to get me through until the end of the school year and put all of my belongings in storage.  And then two weeks ago I moved to New Jersey for a summer internship (but more for a change of scenery).  Sooooo, my life has been and still is in a bit of flux to say the least. 

I'm a little homesick and feeling like I don't really have a home even when I go back to Indiana, but I'm taking it one day at a time, counting my blessings, and depending on my training to sustain me. 

Carry on y'all

2013-06-21 2:57 AM
in reply to: jfought

User image

Expert
Noosa

Jayne, so sorry to hear about your problems, I'm glad you felt you could talk about it on the MG. You're such a positive person and you've got such great kids. You're at the start of a whole new adventure!

Good luck to the racers, I'm slacker of the week at the moment. I'm working really hard at the moment, everyone else has gone on holiday and the weather is crap by our usual standards. I finally dragged myself out of bed at 5:30am today in the dark and rain to go down to the gym!

Sun's out again tomorrow and forecasted to be Sunny for at least the foreseeable future so I'm back on the horse again!

I know having a month off was a good idea but I won't do it next time, I hate being less active and the less I'm exercising the more aches and pains I'm getting.
2013-06-21 5:39 AM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Expert
Noosa

I just saw that they're organizing a TdF challenge on the "Challenge Me" thread. I'm not quite sure how it works but anyone want to join me and sign up as an MG team???

2013-06-21 7:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

Jayne sorry to hear that. You are strong and will adapt. I am your friend and cant see your page so dont know what up with that.

The TT did not go well, I fell off the bike like 4x and am hurting this AM. I am beginning to think MTB is not for me or I need to put on flats and trust my bike more. With all the Tri training I just dont have enough time to ride more than 1x a week and that happens to be at the TTs. I just dont want to get hurt out there and be out of Tris due to a MTB injury. This is a 5 race series so next week will be the 5th week. Then it starts over again so I think I will ride next week and then try and improve after Augusta.

Speaking of Augusta its 99 day from now eeek. Definately do not need an injury this close.

2013-06-21 10:08 AM

User image

New user
So sorry to hear that Jayne. You are so positive and things will get better. Life always gives us new challenges, I think they are just a test of our strength,and you are Strong!! Keep focusing on your training and....never give up!!
2013-06-21 3:35 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Jayne.... Thanks for sharing.  I'm sorry you are having to go through with this, and I am sure that as tough as your are.... You'll win in the end.  Good luck and stay strong!!

2013-06-21 3:35 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Jayne.... Thanks for sharing.  I'm sorry you are having to go through with this, and I am sure that as tough as your are.... You'll win in the end.  Good luck and stay strong!!
2013-06-21 3:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Originally posted by jfought

Happy Wednesday Team!! Time to lace up the shoes and toe the line.  Who's getting ready to race this weekend?

Part 2:  Here's what I want you to do this week......Post something......ANYTHING on here.  We've been on the same page for over 5 days, and it's unacceptable Smile.  Tell us about your training, your races: past, present, or future, your personal life, your kids, pets, the weeds in your garden, ANYTHING. 

Part 3:  I want to challenge you to send out at least 2 inspires every day this next week to people in our mg.  We need to keep encouraging each other.  I know the new format here on BT has thrown us a learning curve and created a challenge, but we can do this.

It's summer vacation for me, so I need to give someone homework Cool

Encourage

Edited to add pretty colors.

Part 2:
It's been an especially rough week for me. I've been on trial prosecuting multiple criminal negligence charges against a caretaker for the deaths of two precious little five year-old girls who drowned while she was on a forty-five minute phone call with someone she met online. One of the children was her granddaughter. The jury came back late yesterday evening and convicted her on all counts. Sentencing is set for next week. I am physically and emotionally drained right now, despite sleeping almost fourteen hours last night.

On the triathlon side, I haven't had much time to get anything in over the past two weeks and it feels like forever. I thought about running this afternoon, but it may have to wait until tomorrow. Then again, it might do me some good to get out and move. Silver lining: hopefully a couple of small nagging injuries have had enough down time to heal.

Hugs, thoughts and prayers to you, Jayne. I hope it's a good summer for you.

Good luck with your races, Mike and Dino!!

Hug your kids, people.
2013-06-21 4:56 PM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Expert
Noosa
2013-06-21 6:38 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Hello all,
thought I'd check it. Haven't been entirely motivated to train a lot these days, which means I don't get on here as much either.
Getting in 'some' training, but we'll see how the summer goes.
I have a 1/2 IM in 3 weeks, and another one 2 weekends after. Zero expectations going in. I did a great mountain ride last Friday, and that seemed to ignite the spark a bit again.

I've been chatting with a few of you guys offline, but Calgary is chaos right now, so haven't done a lot of anything these last few days.
Most of the city is under water. We are lucky in the fact the we live close to the major river coming into the city, but our community is a considerable way up in the hills.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44