BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2008-01-04 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1092026

Veteran
Las Vegas
Subject: RE: Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed

Greetings everyone,

Hope everyone week has been going good.  good luck to everyone racing this weekend. I can't wait I'm doing my first tri of the season this sunday. it been over a year since my last tri, so it should be intresting.  I gave my bike a bath today and got all my gear ready so i stoked for sunday.  I saw redlv was asking about good training books. I think Core performance for Endurance athletes  by Mark Verstegen is a must read for any triathlete. It has all the information you need about core workouts and the benfits.

Cheers,

Jc

2008-01-04 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1133051

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Noz - 2008-01-04 7:54 AM

sparco - 2008-01-03 10:26 PM Well compadres...I'm sleep deprived from this business trip.  I bid you adeiu (o.k. Miss 'I speak French,' I'm pretty sure I spelled that one wrong...feel free to correct me...oh wait...that's what we have Noz for...he's the speller in this group......you know we love ya Noz)...

everyone has a purpose in live, even if it just serves as a warning to others

Alt + 0176 = °  and, in case you are wondering Alt + 0181 = µ if you ever have to type in µg or µL

happy friday!

Garsh, I knew there was a reason we kept you around .  Thanks Noz.  You just saved the company about 20 seconds for every degree and mu symbol I type in a report.  The check to cover your consulting fees is in the mail.

2008-01-04 9:41 AM
in reply to: #1133211

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
sparco - 2008-01-04 9:05 AM

sparco - 2008-01-03 10:26 PM Well compadres...I'm sleep deprived from this business trip.  I bid you adeiu (o.k. Miss 'I speak French,' I'm pretty sure I spelled that one wrong...feel free to correct me...oh wait...that's what we have Noz for...he's the speller in this group......you know we love ya Noz)...

Alt + 0176 = °  and, in case you are wondering Alt + 0181 = µ if you ever have to type in µg or µL

happy friday!

Garsh, I knew there was a reason we kept you around .  Thanks Noz.  You just saved the company about 20 seconds for every degree and mu symbol I type in a report.  The check to cover your consulting fees is in the mail.

the mail is kinda slow, i'm still waiting on gygyhawk's copyright payment.  maybe i should go with paypall

2008-01-04 1:37 PM
in reply to: #1133318

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Noz - 2008-01-04 9:41 AM
sparco - 2008-01-04 9:05 AM

happy friday!

the mail is kinda slow, i'm still waiting on gygyhawk's copyright payment.  maybe i should go with paypall

Forget Paypal -- Just get his credit card number -- then you can charge him all you want!!!!

2008-01-04 3:18 PM
in reply to: #1132914

User image

lwoodtri...
I don't have actual numbers on the hr, but I lose coordination, drop things (fling things into unsuspecting victims) and feel wobbly on my feet. It's been happening for a week now. Could be nutrition. I've been eating notverygoodthings lately.

Which Polar do you have?

Also, I finished reading Swimming to Antarctica... awesome book on long distance swimming!

Tomorrow I'm doing a 100x100 swim, should be fun!

2008-01-04 3:26 PM
in reply to: #1133051

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Noz - 2008-01-04 8:54 AM

happy friday!

Wow, that is cool.  The Chemistry degree is coming in handy for something. 

2008-01-04 3:39 PM
in reply to: #1133202

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
pilotncommand172 - 2008-01-04 9:00 AM

Greetings everyone,

Hope everyone week has been going good.  good luck to everyone racing this weekend. I can't wait I'm doing my first tri of the season this sunday. it been over a year since my last tri, so it should be intresting.  I gave my bike a bath today and got all my gear ready so i stoked for sunday.  I saw redlv was asking about good training books. I think Core performance for Endurance athletes  by Mark Verstegen is a must read for any triathlete. It has all the information you need about core workouts and the benfits.

Cheers,

Jc

Good luck this weekend JC...

2008-01-04 3:42 PM
in reply to: #1134316

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

redlv - 2008-01-04 3:18 PM lwoodtri... I don't have actual numbers on the hr, but I lose coordination, drop things (fling things into unsuspecting victims) and feel wobbly on my feet. It's been happening for a week now. Could be nutrition. I've been eating notverygoodthings lately. Which Polar do you have? Also, I finished reading Swimming to Antarctica... awesome book on long distance swimming! Tomorrow I'm doing a 100x100 swim, should be fun!

WHAT?  That's a 10,000 yd swim!  I don't get that in a week, and sometimes barely get that in a month... 

2008-01-04 5:42 PM

User image

Master
Utah

Hey guys/gals. I finally got to the gym today! I'm feeling good enough to workout again, but though I'd avaoid the pool until next week. I've been reading Triathlon Training Basics by Gale Bernhardt. I like one of the training plans in the book, so I think I'm gonna do that one. It's a 12 week plan, so if I have to back off (if my joints rebel again) I won't feel too wussy. If I was doing a 20 week plan and had to back off I would feel truly inept. No good reason, I just would.

Today's really warm here-like 46 degrees. All the snow is melting, and it's really windy. 30-40 mph windy. Gusts have been 45-50 mph, and tonight likely to hit the 70+mph mark. The storm that's currently dumping several feet of snow in the Sierra Nevadas is headed our way tomorrow. I'll be working both Saturday and Sunday, though, so I have to go out in the storm. On a bright note, that gets me out of using the snow blower

2008-01-04 8:34 PM
in reply to: #1133202

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
pilotncommand172 - 2008-01-04 9:00 AM

Greetings everyone,

Cheers,

Jc

Good luck this weekend!  You'll do great!   Keep up the good work.   Those books sound like good ones -- when in doubt thiers always the ever popular Triathlete's Training Bible!

2008-01-04 9:30 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
OK... busy day/night and another really busy day tomorrow so wanted to stop in for a drive-by post just to wish those of you racing safe, speedy races.  Have fun! 

2008-01-04 10:51 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
8.5 mile bike followed by a 1 mile run. Short brick before the rains came and the expo.
2008-01-05 9:32 AM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Morning...not feeling quite up to par yet, but decided I better get out there and run anyway...

10K in 13 degree weather...that was cold...

What's on tap for everyone else today?  Hopefully everyone is getting back into a routine after the holidays...

2008-01-05 10:24 AM
in reply to: #1135585

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
sparco - 2008-01-05 9:32 AM

Morning...not feeling quite up to par yet, but decided I better get out there and run anyway...

10K in 13 degree weather...that was cold...

What's on tap for everyone else today?  Hopefully everyone is getting back into a routine after the holidays...

Hey, this business of you being sick is getting old -- get better -- would ya!

My plan is 25 miles on the bike in lovely near 70 degree weather!   (sorry sal --Ok someone has to have warm weather...!)

2008-01-05 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Hope everyone had a lovely Sat. a.m.  I did a slow 25 min. (2.4) mile run.  It was great because my HR stayed in Z2 and I didn't have to stop and walk.  However, my hips have been feeling tight after running and cycling, and the inside of my knee(medial) like below inner thigh, was feeling tight after the run today.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I've been stretching after workouts, but I'm wondering if I need to do a different stretch or stretch on my rest days as well.  While training for my 1/2 mary I didn't cross train and my knees were sore and my lower back eventually kinked up.  With a few weeks of rest it all got better, but I want to avoid it happening again.  Any suggestions?
2008-01-05 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1135925

User image

Regular
Kimberly, WI

I'm enjoying the wknd heatwave. Scorching hot 37 deg! It's fantastic! Cookout on the patio with a cooler full of frosty beverages. You're all invited!

2008-01-05 2:13 PM
in reply to: #1135925

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

gygyhawk - 2008-01-05 1:23 PM Hope everyone had a lovely Sat. a.m.  I did a slow 25 min. (2.4) mile run.  It was great because my HR stayed in Z2 and I didn't have to stop and walk.  However, my hips have been feeling tight after running and cycling, and the inside of my knee(medial) like below inner thigh, was feeling tight after the run today.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I've been stretching after workouts, but I'm wondering if I need to do a different stretch or stretch on my rest days as well.  While training for my 1/2 mary I didn't cross train and my knees were sore and my lower back eventually kinked up.  With a few weeks of rest it all got better, but I want to avoid it happening again.  Any suggestions?

Stretching is always good, but I'm wondering if you've got the wrong shoes.  I know when I've had knee, leg problems it's almost always been because I was running on the wrong shoe type for my stride.  You might want to stop into your local running specialty store (not Sports Authority or one of those big box chains) and discuss this with someone who really knows shoes.   Certainly there could be other issues, but, it could be the shoes.

Congrats on a good run otherwise.

2008-01-05 2:40 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

OK team -- I'm pulling out my protective armour because I know I'm in for some SERIOUS flak with the story I'm about to tell.  I'm ready for it!

OK BODY ARMOUR IN PLACE -- LET THE FLAK BEGIN! 

Ok, I've been spouting ALL WEEK about how excited I was to go ride in this GOREGEOUS ( and I do mean GORGEOUS) 73 degree weather!   It's a beautiful day, Clear skies, gentle breezes, warm temperatures, all I needed was the lovely background music.....  Plan was to ride approximately 25 miles round trip to a lake near our home.

Everything is all set to go.  Have a phone call with SAL just to rub it in that I'm headed out the door, the bike shorts are on (after all it's 73 degrees), the shoes are on, and off I go...

Meet up with Johnathan, and we head out.  Good pace, conditions almost as good as I expected.. Life is WONDERFUL!    (or so I thought)

We get to the top of this one small hill.   Not a bad one, just enough of one that you get a little burn in your legs... and I notice that the bumps in the road aren't quite as "jarring" as they were a couple minutes earlier.   Look down at my tire and watch it get flatter and flatter!  STINK -- I've got a flat tire!!!  (hate when that happens!)  Anyway -- I think -- well that's not a big deal, after all I'm a prepared Boy Scout .. I've got a spare in my saddle bag, plus patches and glue, and a great handpump.  So not to worry -- right -- WRONG!!!!

Now the fun starts.  I get the tire off of the bike, pull the tube, and grab my spare tube.  Thought I'd just double check it before I put it on the bike.  Well, guess what -- It's got a hole in it as well......I'm thinking -- the bicycle gods must have something against me!

But remember -- I'm this prepared boy scout (yea right -- like I'd checked my spare tube before leaving home...) so I'll just grab one of these trusty patches and fix the tube that way.  Easy enough, will just take a couple of minutes- right?   WRONG AGAIN!!!

I open up the SEALED tube of glue and puncture the seal, fully expecting the usual oozing of glue that you get when you open a new tube of glue--- NOT!!!  Nothing, nada, zilch, zero.... no glue comes out, even after trying EVERYTHING I could think of to get the pesky glue to come out...still no glue and 2 tubes with holes in them....

Johnathan and I look at each other and say, "guess we're walking"...... (Johnathan doesn't have a bike bag with spare parts yet -- we're solving that problem with a trip to the bike shop later) and about this time a good samaritan cyclist stops and asks if we need help.   We tell him our tale of woe, and said -- here -- I've got a new spare tube - take this..."   We thank him profusely and gleefully put the tube in the tire (we can STILL salvage this ride-- yes....).   I'm excited and start to pump the tire up so we can get on our way.  Get the tire to the desired fullness, and commence to disconnect the pump from the stem.  Do the usual process, and the next thing I hear is a LOUD SWIIIIIIIISH.....

I think -- ok -- guess I didn't get the pump off quick enough, look down and there's NO VALVE STEM (you know the inside part of the valve that holds the air in) -- I'm thinking -- "What's going on here -- it was there before???"   The thing had literally BLOWN out of the tube -- Couldn't find it anywhere.  UGH -- BAD WORDS!!!!!!!  

Oh well, so we are now DEFINATELY walking!   Johnathan goes on ahead after a few minutes to ride home and get his truck. I end up walking about a mile and a half waiting for him to get back.   Hate Walking in bike shoes....Not fun!

Ok -- now everyone get their chuckle in.... I deserve it.....But the bike gods definately conspired against me today!   ( Did I ever tell you I hate warm weather and near perfect biking conditions?    hahah  )

Oh well.  Guess there is always next time!

2008-01-05 3:57 PM
in reply to: #1136051

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
UTTriman - 2008-01-05 2:40 PM

OK team -- I'm pulling out my protective armour because I know I'm in for some SERIOUS flak with the story I'm about to tell.  I'm ready for it!

OK BODY ARMOUR IN PLACE -- LET THE FLAK BEGIN!  ...

Mwahhhhaaahhhaaaa!!!  I mean...bummer!  That's why I carry my cell phone in my back pocket jersey.  I had one of those last year.  Changed the tire and got another flat.  The pick up van is just a call away.

Sorry that you missed your ride in tropical weather.  You've got the whole off-season ahead of ya.

Speaking of which...the gauntlet has been thrown down.  We could do a 'virtual' challenge (best time for a comparable sprint or Oly, time adjusted to distance--best average of minutes/100 yds, mph and minutes/mile on the swim/bike/run).  Or you make arrangements to come do Lifetime (I'm signing up for the Oly) and we'll have comparable conditions.  You're on!  

2008-01-05 4:19 PM
in reply to: #1136118

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
sparco - 2008-01-05 3:57 PM

Mwahhhhaaahhhaaaa!!!  I mean...bummer!  That's why I carry my cell phone in my back pocket jersey.  I had one of those last year.  Changed the tire and got another flat.  The pick up van is just a call away.

Sorry that you missed your ride in tropical weather.  You've got the whole off-season ahead of ya.

Speaking of which...the gauntlet has been thrown down.  We could do a 'virtual' challenge (best time for a comparable sprint or Oly, time adjusted to distance--best average of minutes/100 yds, mph and minutes/mile on the swim/bike/run).  Or you make arrangements to come do Lifetime (I'm signing up for the Oly) and we'll have comparable conditions.  You're on!  

OK --  GAUNTLET ACCEPTED!!!  -- and the team is here to witness it!!!!

LIFETIME FITNESS -- OLY DISTANCE -- Ruth's Chris to the winner, compliments of the loser!     (time to get to work -- hey NOZ -- GOT some Training time available?? )

I also think we need a little swim speed challenge -- What you think -  kinda like the run challenge??  Or are you still ascared of the open water ----??? 

PS =  Did have cell phone in back pocket -- no one was home or close enough to do any good!  UGH!!!

2008-01-05 5:44 PM
in reply to: #1136145

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
UTTriman - 2008-01-05 4:19 PM

LIFETIME FITNESS -- OLY DISTANCE -- Ruth's Chris to the winner, compliments of the loser!     (time to get to work -- hey NOZ -- GOT some Training time available?? )

I also think we need a little swim speed challenge -- What you think -  kinda like the run challenge??  Or are you still ascared of the open water ----??? 

PS =  Did have cell phone in back pocket -- no one was home or close enough to do any good!  UGH!!!

Uh yeah, so maybe still mildly freaked out by open water, but the bigger problem is that the open water is frozen in MN right now...

2008-01-05 6:42 PM
in reply to: #1136260

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
sparco - 2008-01-05 5:44 PM

OK BODY ARMOUR IN PLACE -- LET THE FLAK BEGIN!  :)...

I also think we need a little swim speed challenge -- What you think -  kinda like the run challenge??  Or are you still ascared of the open water ----???  :)

Uh yeah, so maybe still mildly freaked out by open water, but the bigger problem is that the open water is frozen in MN right now...:)

Well, I was thinking more of a pool swim challenge until the frozen tundra thaws out --   :)

Set the terms !

Edited by UTTriman 2008-01-05 6:43 PM
2008-01-05 6:46 PM
in reply to: #1136341

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
UTTriman - 2008-01-05 6:42 PM sparco - 2008-01-05 5:44 PM

Uh yeah, so maybe still mildly freaked out by open water, but the bigger problem is that the open water is frozen in MN right now...

Well, I was thinking more of a pool swim challenge until the frozen tundra thaws out --  

Set the terms !

Well, seeing as I don't feel like doing half my pool yardage in a dinky hotel pool, I'll pass on the swim challenge...I did the swim challenge last month and was short 1100 yards...

We could at least compare swim speeds on set distances...

2008-01-05 6:51 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Well, you know I'm a slow swimmer.

My most recent 500 PR is 9:00 (1:48s).

I've got some 400s and 200s I'm swimming on Tuesday.  Let's go ahead and post our times...

2008-01-05 6:52 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
I carry the cell phone in the bike bag or bento box. Boy Genius finds that when he crashes he lands half the time on the back pockets.

So no car keys, garage door openers or cell phones in jersey pockets. Soft stuff like gu or cliff bars ok. Hard plastic goes in bike bag.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 55