BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 168

2009-01-06 11:54 PM
in reply to: #1863539

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
Subject: RE: Girl Passing on Left (FULL)
oooh! i loved reading this page!!

we were way down at the bottom, so i had to post real quick before julie saw.

i'm sitting here reading this crazy book on nutrition, called the china study? has anyone else read it? i'm totally blown away! this changes SO much of how i look at food. i recommend. (it IS rather dry though, so i've only been able to take it in small doses)

2009-01-06 11:54 PM

User image

Master
TOP POST! YAY!!
ok. so i loved reading that LAST page!
2009-01-07 7:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I think lyssa is our reader girl Keep up the great enthusiasm girl! I hope you can get out of the house and run today, did you decide on a gym membership?

School is delayed two hours here due to snow. I have a 30 min. run scheuled today so I will be either braving the snow or going to the gym to run on the track.

I will follow Cheri's lead with some of my fav quotes:

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Everyone have a wonderful day!!!! Swim-Bike-Run...your worth it!

Amy IN
2009-01-07 8:38 AM
in reply to: #1891124

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
dcon - 2009-01-06 10:27 PM

amy mutz - 2009-01-07 9:53 AM 

Dan - Have you lived in Japan your entire life? Do speak Japanese and English? This is the first time I have ever talked to anyone in Japan, it's pretty cool. 

Amy IN

Hi Amy: I grew up near Buffalo (lots of snow & cold), went to college near Chicago (less snow, but still cold).  I've been out of the US since '87 and most of the time in Japan, but also lived/worked for two years in Thailand and 1.5 years in the UK.    My Japanese is okay -  I can muddle through most conversations and am still trying to study.  Luckily my wife's English is better than my Japanese.

I went to college in Buffalo and grad school in Chicago. Buffalo was snowier but Chicago is the coldest place I've ever lived!

2009-01-07 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1891302

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

lyssa-gator - 2009-01-06 9:54 PM oooh! i loved reading this page!! we were way down at the bottom, so i had to post real quick before julie saw. i'm sitting here reading this crazy book on nutrition, called the china study? has anyone else read it? i'm totally blown away! this changes SO much of how i look at food. i recommend. (it IS rather dry though, so i've only been able to take it in small doses)

YAY Lyssa...glad that you are watching out for the team! U DA BEST! any signs of that round bright planet that hangs in the sky and is called a sun???? hoping you are soon to get some light at the end of that tunnel! do I need to send you a gym in a bag? have you heard of them? I had not until my dd asked for one for christmas...I bought her one, and now I want one!!

2009-01-07 11:07 AM
in reply to: #1891519

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

amy mutz - 2009-01-07 5:37 AM I think lyssa is our reader girl Keep up the great enthusiasm girl! I hope you can get out of the house and run today, did you decide on a gym membership? School is delayed two hours here due to snow. I have a 30 min. run scheuled today so I will be either braving the snow or going to the gym to run on the track. I will follow Cheri's lead with some of my fav quotes: Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. Everyone have a wonderful day!!!! Swim-Bike-Run...your worth it! Amy IN

Thanks Amy. Have a good run...be careful if you brave the weather. I am going to a few gyms today since I was unable to yesterday. I will also be going for a swim when the fog burns off....cant fathom going now...just too darn cold for me!!! I am also going thru my closets and trying to simplify...my rule has been if I have not worn it in the past 6 months...I am donating it! I have some great running tops, shorts, bike shorts, jerseys, pair of spd shoes...that I am going to be donating...my dd also gave me some great athletic clothing...I am not sure if anyone on the team is in need of these items...if so, I would rather see you guys get them than anyone else...sorry dan and scott, but my dh wears his till they either shred or fall off around him!! but I do have some bike items... so, if you are in need let me know and I will post pictures so you can see them...then if you all do not need them...they will probably make their way to the pay it forward link here on BT...if you have not been to this link...check it out...tons of stuff being given away for free!

Have a great day....hoping you all have some type of cardio activity planned for today.

2009-01-07 11:11 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
I did a morning run in a cold rain. The weather has been strange here so the trees were covered in ice but the roads and cars were only wet.
2009-01-07 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1892215

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-01-07 9:11 AM I did a morning run in a cold rain. The weather has been strange here so the trees were covered in ice but the roads and cars were only wet.

Way to get out there Nicole!...glad you did not get speared by any icicles! That is very strange that there was no ice on the ground!? Way to take advantage of it...bet you did not see many other runners out there did ya? GOOD JOB!

2009-01-07 11:32 AM
in reply to: #1892233

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-07 12:15 PM

MDHillSlug - 2009-01-07 9:11 AM I did a morning run in a cold rain. The weather has been strange here so the trees were covered in ice but the roads and cars were only wet.

Way to get out there Nicole!...glad you did not get speared by any icicles! That is very strange that there was no ice on the ground!? Way to take advantage of it...bet you did not see many other runners out there did ya? GOOD JOB!

No other runners. No dog walkers either.

2009-01-07 11:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana

HI all, won't have time to do individual inspires today, IT"S NUTS HERE ! But I did want you all to know I am rooting for you for whatever you have planed.

Tomorrow will be more normal, and maybe even some tonight........but today, I'm chasing my tail ! lol

Oh spin class tonight, so I am armed with the knowledge from all of you, and the one class under my belt ! I am dangerous now !!
GO GET EM  YOU GUYS/and GALS!!

Edited by maxmansmom 2009-01-07 11:39 AM
2009-01-07 11:56 AM

User image

Master
well, it's been raining all night, and most of yesterday, the roads are BARE and wet, and it's still pouring, my FAVORITE kind of run, so i am getting ready to get out there, there's still HUGE mounds on the side of the road from the plow (mounds like as tall as me) but i think running outside is going to be great. i read this thing in a magazine lately that when you run in the rain, instead of wearing running tights (which get wet and keep your legs cold) you should wear shorts and put vaseline on your legs. has anyone tried this? i'm thinking about it, it's only about 40 degrees out right now though, i don't know how bad i want to wear shorts.

i don't know anything about a gym in a bag julie, what is it?

i'm off to check out the pay it forward thing, i didn't know it was there--ok, where exactly? on the gear page? i'll find it i'm sure.

what kind of gear are you getting rid of julee? tights and tops are what i am shortest on. i only have one pair of tights and they're kind of big.you can pm or post it here, either way.

2009-01-07 12:08 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Pay it forward is stickied in the Classifieds forum. I've given away some stuff there but never gotten anything out. Most of the stuff goes *really* fast!
2009-01-07 12:38 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB

More rain for everyone again?! Kudos to you, Alyssa for braving cold rain- love the downpours when it is warm but cold- not for me. I have never heard of the shorts/vaseline combo...though the wet tights theory does seem to make sense. If it is rainy and cold- I will either go with tights (I find my legs are still warm enough from running that I don't realize that they should be wet and cold) or I will wear a second layer- though it can get warm. Let us know what you decide and how it goes!

More snow in Cowtown today- looking at another 5-10cm. There was an ice fog this morning which made for some beautiful frosted branches when the dog walked me this morning. It should be sunny and into positive territory this weekend...otherwise I am chasing down the weather guy!

Thanks Dan for putting together the chart! I will muddle my way through replacing the one in my log.

Cheri- sounds like a heck of a run, congrats- those tough ones are so tough but they get you grinning afterwards....our running coach at the tri club gave us a similar type of workout but since we were on the track it was a bit shorter but still pretty lethal (especially for the first track workout back since we parted ways in Dec). All done at 5K pace- 200m/ 400m/ 600m/ 800m/ 1000m with a mere 30 sec rest between each.

Great to hear that everyone is able to get out for swims/rides and runs! I am taking today off and will catch up on some marking, some quality time with the hubby and pup, and do some work on the foam roller. BTW- if you don't have one- they are a wonderful tool to help work out tight muscles- especially the ITB.

Have a fantastic day all! 

2009-01-07 1:10 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii

Did everyone read Marmadaddy's DO NOT GIVE UP post?  If not, give it a read!

here

Edited by naners 2009-01-07 1:11 PM
2009-01-07 1:12 PM
in reply to: #1892359

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

lyssa-gator - 2009-01-07 9:56 AM well, it's been raining all night, and most of yesterday, the roads are BARE and wet, and it's still pouring, my FAVORITE kind of run, so i am getting ready to get out there, there's still HUGE mounds on the side of the road from the plow (mounds like as tall as me) but i think running outside is going to be great. i read this thing in a magazine lately that when you run in the rain, instead of wearing running tights (which get wet and keep your legs cold) you should wear shorts and put vaseline on your legs. has anyone tried this? i'm thinking about it, it's only about 40 degrees out right now though, i don't know how bad i want to wear shorts. i don't know anything about a gym in a bag julie, what is it? i'm off to check out the pay it forward thing, i didn't know it was there--ok, where exactly? on the gear page? i'll find it i'm sure. what kind of gear are you getting rid of julee? tights and tops are what i am shortest on. i only have one pair of tights and they're kind of big.you can pm or post it here, either way.

Good to see that you are finally able to get out and run! woooooo hoooooo! and for the vaseline thingy...no clue but interested in seeing what you think...do not run into any nats or bugs cuz they will stick to your legs!

bag in a gym: the more expensive style!?

http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/page/000-94127/PROD/TSPBV1?_kk=gym%20in%20a%20bag&_kt=ae7460c9-07c5-47f9-8dc4-2277ef0eaab6&gclid=CITF0qWT_ZcCFRlRagodkEOCDA

or my type of price!

http://www.amazon.com/GoFit-Pro-Gym-in-a-Bag/dp/B000297YGW

I only paid around $40 at a Big Five....they are at all your sports stores...and very reasonable...great for core training....

I have lots but I am finding more by the moment! what was I thinking by keeping all these tops....surely I was not planning on a fashion show! have sizes from xs to xl in tops, a pair of mtn bike spd shoes...that I used on my roadbike til I received my nice new pair...was going to save these as reserve....but would rather see them being used if someone needs them..I will have a more detailed list tomorrow...so be around to grab the best of the best. I may even have time by then to post pictures. Have a great run...and think about one of these bags for those days you can not get out...If the gyms around me are not appealing I may go buy myself one.

2009-01-07 1:14 PM
in reply to: #1892359

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

lyssa-gator - 2009-01-07 9:56 AM well, it's been raining all night, and most of yesterday, the roads are BARE and wet, and it's still pouring, my FAVORITE kind of run, so i am getting ready to get out there, there's still HUGE mounds on the side of the road from the plow (mounds like as tall as me) but i think running outside is going to be great. i read this thing in a magazine lately that when you run in the rain, instead of wearing running tights (which get wet and keep your legs cold) you should wear shorts and put vaseline on your legs. has anyone tried this? i'm thinking about it, it's only about 40 degrees out right now though, i don't know how bad i want to wear shorts. i don't know anything about a gym in a bag julie, what is it? i'm off to check out the pay it forward thing, i didn't know it was there--ok, where exactly? on the gear page? i'll find it i'm sure. what kind of gear are you getting rid of julee? tights and tops are what i am shortest on. i only have one pair of tights and they're kind of big.you can pm or post it here, either way.

oh and pay it forward is in the classified link...at the very top! have fun...not much action lately...I am surprised that people are not passing on stuff after Xmas....well maybe i will just have to get it going! after of course my team gets what they want!

2009-01-07 1:18 PM
in reply to: #1892507

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
run_yc_run - 2009-01-07 10:38 AM

More rain for everyone again?! Kudos to you, Alyssa for braving cold rain- love the downpours when it is warm but cold- not for me. I have never heard of the shorts/vaseline combo...though the wet tights theory does seem to make sense. If it is rainy and cold- I will either go with tights (I find my legs are still warm enough from running that I don't realize that they should be wet and cold) or I will wear a second layer- though it can get warm. Let us know what you decide and how it goes!

More snow in Cowtown today- looking at another 5-10cm. There was an ice fog this morning which made for some beautiful frosted branches when the dog walked me this morning. It should be sunny and into positive territory this weekend...otherwise I am chasing down the weather guy!

Thanks Dan for putting together the chart! I will muddle my way through replacing the one in my log.

Cheri- sounds like a heck of a run, congrats- those tough ones are so tough but they get you grinning afterwards....our running coach at the tri club gave us a similar type of workout but since we were on the track it was a bit shorter but still pretty lethal (especially for the first track workout back since we parted ways in Dec). All done at 5K pace- 200m/ 400m/ 600m/ 800m/ 1000m with a mere 30 sec rest between each.

Great to hear that everyone is able to get out for swims/rides and runs! I am taking today off and will catch up on some marking, some quality time with the hubby and pup, and do some work on the foam roller. BTW- if you don't have one- they are a wonderful tool to help work out tight muscles- especially the ITB.

Have a fantastic day all! 

I LOVE MY FOAM ROLLER! another great tool for all activities...and like Yvonne said it is great for rolling out those tight muscles. Anyone else use these? I know it has helped me to work this muscle tightness out of my knee area. And when you use them....man can you pinpoint the areas that need it  most....I swear by them!

2009-01-07 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1892604

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
naners - 2009-01-07 11:10 AM

Did everyone read Marmadaddy's DO NOT GIVE UP post?  If not, give it a read!

here

Thanks Nalani...it is soo very true, it is easy to just throw in the towel and get discouraged with weight and training...but this team is different...we are all achievers and will make it to that finish line...right?!? if for some reason you feel like you are not having a good day or you do not feel like running or biking or swimming or for that matter getting out of bed....make sure to come by and let us know...and your faithful teammates and I will make sure to change your mind and hopefully get you back on track. With that said, is there anyone who needs a visit from us???? dont be shy.

2009-01-07 1:47 PM

User image

Master
I RAN!!!!! oh it was a good one!!! i love love love running in the rain! the only time it was too cold was like a month ago it was rain mixed with snow, and i was freezing! but today was good good good. 'bout 40 degrees, POURING, i'm totally soaked, but i'm-a-grinnin'

that gym in a bag (the $200 one) looks RAD!! too bad it's $200! LOL the amazon one looks KIND of like what i have. i only have one resistance band, but that's what i use for strength training. the other thing i really like is a video podcast i found called pilates on fifth, they're these cute little red headed twins that do pilates, HARD pilates, but since it's on my ipod i can watch and do at the same time. that's my fitness routine when i cant' go outside. resistance band, yoga, and pilates.
but NOT today! mua ha ha ha ha ha!!! i RAN!!!!!!

ok. so i walked about 100 yards, then ran my regular pace for about half a mile, then at presumed race pace (to get the marathon done in less than 4 hours i need to run ABOUT a 9 MM) for half a mile, and so on and so forth. is that what i should be doing? is that a good idea?
lemme just throw out there that i'm clueless and muddling my way through this.

anyway, i plugged out a tad over 3 miles-i feel great. except, now i'm wet and cold. time for a hot shower.
2009-01-07 1:48 PM

User image

Master
oh yeah, i'm gonna read that thing of marmadaddys, and julie, i'm interested in the running tops you have, so let me know when you have time.
2009-01-07 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1892634

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-07 2:18 PM

I LOVE MY FOAM ROLLER! another great tool for all activities...and like Yvonne said it is great for rolling out those tight muscles. Anyone else use these? I know it has helped me to work this muscle tightness out of my knee area. And when you use them....man can you pinpoint the areas that need it  most....I swear by them!

Last fall I had to do PT to get my kneecaps tracking correctly. In addition to strengthening the knee with the kneecaps in the right position I was taught to use a foam roller to loosen up the tight muscles on the outside of my thighs. I still use it after every run. Hurts so good! Wink

2009-01-07 2:11 PM
in reply to: #1892733

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

lyssa-gator - 2009-01-07 11:47 AM I RAN!!!!! oh it was a good one!!! i love love love running in the rain! the only time it was too cold was like a month ago it was rain mixed with snow, and i was freezing! but today was good good good. 'bout 40 degrees, POURING, i'm totally soaked, but i'm-a-grinnin' that gym in a bag (the $200 one) looks RAD!! too bad it's $200! LOL the amazon one looks KIND of like what i have. i only have one resistance band, but that's what i use for strength training. the other thing i really like is a video podcast i found called pilates on fifth, they're these cute little red headed twins that do pilates, HARD pilates, but since it's on my ipod i can watch and do at the same time. that's my fitness routine when i cant' go outside. resistance band, yoga, and pilates. but NOT today! mua ha ha ha ha ha!!! i RAN!!!!!! ok. so i walked about 100 yards, then ran my regular pace for about half a mile, then at presumed race pace (to get the marathon done in less than 4 hours i need to run ABOUT a 9 MM) for half a mile, and so on and so forth. is that what i should be doing? is that a good idea? lemme just throw out there that i'm clueless and muddling my way through this. anyway, i plugged out a tad over 3 miles-i feel great. except, now i'm wet and cold. time for a hot shower.

thought this info I found on the web may be helpful:

1. The run/walk method is simple: After you've warmed-up with a 5-minute walk, run for a short segment and then take a walk break. Beginners can alternate very short run segments with short walks, such as 1 minute running, 7 minutes walking.
  2. Keep repeating your run/walk pattern until you've covered your goal distance or time. For example, if you want to run/walk for 16 minutes, you can run/walk at a 1:7 ratio for two cycles. Make sure that you're using the proper form (applies to both your running and walking segments).

3. You should start your walk portion before your running muscles get too tired. This will allow your muscles to recover instantly, which extends the time and distance that you can cover. If you wait until you're very fatigued, you'll end up walking slowly and it will be difficult to start running again.

4. For the walk portions, make sure you're not taking a leisurely stroll. You should pump your arms, so that your heart rate stays elevated. That way, you'll still be getting a good cardiovascular workout and it will make the transition back to running easier.

5. As you continue with your run/walk program, try to extend the amount of time you're running and reduce your walking time.

6. If you'd like to aim to run for 30 minutes continuously, try this 8-week run/walk program for beginners.

7. Once you can successfully run for long stretches, don't feel as if you have to abandon the run/walk method. Some long-distance runners use it in training runs and races to help reduce muscle soreness and fatigue.

Tips:

1. Use your breathing as your guide during your running segments. You should be able to carry on a conversation while running and your breathing shouldn't be heavy.

2. Drink water at the end of your workouts to rehydrate. If it's hot and humid, you should also drink some water (about 4-6 ounces) halfway through your workout.

Looks like you were ok with what you were doing....but if you can Lyssa...try and do a very slow jog instead of walking...at least every other time you slow down...soon you will be running the entire time at a faster pace and you legs will feel all toned and ready for your race.

HAPPY YOU GOT OUT! and EVEN HAPPIER TO FEEL THAT SMILE BACK ON YOUR FACE! I love your enthusiasm and humor...and just want to thank you for my daily smiles I get when reading your posts or inspires....and also for teaching me to love to run in the rain - I would probably never enjoy it like I do now if not for you!!!....plus...plus...plus!

2009-01-07 2:13 PM
in reply to: #1892771

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
MDHillSlug - 2009-01-07 11:56 AM
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-07 2:18 PM

Last fall I had to do PT to get my kneecaps tracking correctly. In addition to strengthening the knee with the kneecaps in the right position I was taught to use a foam roller to loosen up the tight muscles on the outside of my thighs. I still use it after every run. Hurts so good! Wink

I agree...no pain better then working out those sore muscles. Best buy I ever made...well besides my bike! I love my bike! actually I just love to bike!

2009-01-07 2:19 PM
in reply to: #1890052

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
MDHillSlug - 2009-01-06 2:31 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-06 2:17 PM
Sledge - 2009-01-06 10:57 AM
Girl Passing on Left

do you like your clip on aerobars? I seem to ride a lot in the crouched position and wondering if I should give them a tri try.

Aero bars made a big difference for me!  I don't know all of the physiology (is that a real word?) of it, but the first thing it did was reduce my heart rate, thereby helping endurance.  The second thing is that you are in a different position, and it just seems that you can use your legs more effectively.  Since my legs are the strongest part of me, that's a good thing.

are there lots of brands of aerobars? what do you use Cheri and Nicole?

Starting in 2007 on my Specialized Sequoia I first tried Profile Design GT Jammers but couldn't get my wrists comfortable. I switched to Profile Design T2+ (s-bend design)and was very happy with them. When I moved them to the Allez I found that I didn't feel like I was in control and needed to find something else. I ended up with some r-bend design aerobars from an uncommon brand called BBB.

IMO bars that are adjustable for width, length, and rotation offer the most ability to dial them in to suit you.

I have the Profile Design Aerostryke, and liked them until recently.  Turns out that the pads that flip up are actually plastic, and one side just broke (I'm having lots of bike issues recently ). 

I'm thinking about investing in a tri bike -- any advice?

2009-01-07 2:21 PM
in reply to: #1892826

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Sledge - 2009-01-07 2:19 PM
MDHillSlug - 2009-01-06 2:31 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-06 2:17 PM
Sledge - 2009-01-06 10:57 AM
Girl Passing on Left

do you like your clip on aerobars? I seem to ride a lot in the crouched position and wondering if I should give them a tri try.

Aero bars made a big difference for me!  I don't know all of the physiology (is that a real word?) of it, but the first thing it did was reduce my heart rate, thereby helping endurance.  The second thing is that you are in a different position, and it just seems that you can use your legs more effectively.  Since my legs are the strongest part of me, that's a good thing.

are there lots of brands of aerobars? what do you use Cheri and Nicole?

Starting in 2007 on my Specialized Sequoia I first tried Profile Design GT Jammers but couldn't get my wrists comfortable. I switched to Profile Design T2+ (s-bend design)and was very happy with them. When I moved them to the Allez I found that I didn't feel like I was in control and needed to find something else. I ended up with some r-bend design aerobars from an uncommon brand called BBB.

IMO bars that are adjustable for width, length, and rotation offer the most ability to dial them in to suit you.

I have the Profile Design Aerostryke, and liked them until recently.  Turns out that the pads that flip up are actually plastic, and one side just broke (I'm having lots of bike issues recently ). 

I'm thinking about investing in a tri bike -- any advice?

Oh yeah... and I'm going to need a wetsuit too.  (Who ever thought of a wetsuit in Florida???)  But May in the gulf is cold.  Any advice here too?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  

of 168