BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-03-04 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2706272

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED
After talking to a few other people last night, I went with the Tricot Iron Case. I better travel with my bike a lot and learn how to set it up myself...planning to let the LBS handle the set up/delivery/etc for Lonestar but after that I'm on my own.

Steve- - 2010-03-03 9:01 PM
SSMinnow - 2010-03-03 6:32 PM Does anyone have or rented a bike case they love? I'm in the market and plan to buy one this week...

uprights are more convenient that clamshells but as mentioned....clamshells can pack tighter...however, you can put sweatshirts/fleece, pillows, etc inside uprights to keep things from bouncing around.

2010-03-05 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2559007

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I may have a new bike soon...holding my breath...they got the frame in from Felt and are building it themselves with the same components as spec'd to get me on it sooner.  They are upgrading my wheels and putting on a profile design cockpit pretty much of my choice.  I am kind of glad that mine will be customized a little bit as opposed to every other Felt that comes out of the shop.  Can possibly pick it up next weekend..yay!

Training has been going pretty well here in week 2 of my program with a little hitch.  I am playing in a hockey tournament this weekend and have a playoff game in my regular sunday night league...so 5 games in 3 days starting tonight.  I believe the official recovery drink for the hockey tournament is Busch Light but I could be wrong ha!.  I think I will be a little sore on Monday but hopefully not injured.   Hoping a little cross-training will help out in the early season.

Ryan

2010-03-06 6:52 PM

User image

Champion
Steve: How about a bike question?  I have heard that Lactic Acid is not the villian it was once portrayed to be and this article does a good job giving the basics on why that is the case....but it raises two questions for me:

1. Is it possible to keep working even if your muscles are hurting from the potassium/chlorid interaction? like mind over matter? or is it necessary to always slow down?

2. If your muscles aren't sore the next day does that say you could have worked harder even with the build-up, but you didn't?

Realize you may not know the answer to either question, but as I do harder rides I am trying to figure out when I just need to suck it up and when there is a physiological reason why I can't.

A Modern View at Lactic Acid 

At RBR we're sometimes guilty of slipping into old habits.

Example: Repeating the longstanding mantra that lactic acid is the evil offspring of strenuous exercise. That it causes intolerable muscle pain and forces you to slow down, then feel sore for a day or more. That a buildup of lactic acid should be avoided like that patch of glass just ahead.

Right? Well, partly.

Although that thinking has been ingrained in training advice for years, Dr. Gabe Mirkin wants us to know that lactic acid no longer deserves a bum rap. In fact, as this cycling physician says on his advice-packed medical website, lactic acid is actually beneficial.

Here's his explanation:

"When you exercise, sugar [carbohydrate] is broken down into different chemicals to produce energy for muscles. As long as you get all the oxygen you need, the final products are carbon dioxide and water. But if you exercise so vigorously that you can't get sufficient oxygen, the reactions stop, causing lactic acid to accumulate in your muscles and spill into your bloodstream.

"The old theory was that lactic acid makes the muscles more acidic which causes them to hurt and burn and interferes with their ability to contract, so you feel tired. Now researchers have shown that muscles contract more efficiently when lactic acid accumulates in them."

Dr. Mirkin describes how it works:

"Electric currents cause muscles to contract. This electricity is generated by cell membranes, causing potassium to move inside cells and chloride ions to stay outside. With vigorous exercise, potassium ions accumulate outside cells. As large amounts accumulate, electricity is not generated and the cells cannot contract.

"Chloride prevents potassium from getting back inside. Lactic acid removes the chloride, so it is easier for potassium to return. In this way, lactic acid increases the ratio of potassium inside cells to the amount outside, and this helps the muscle contract with more efficiency."

Okay? Quiz in the morning.

The doc continues, "When lactic acid causes muscles to hurt, you slow down to catch up with your oxygen debt. This converts lactic acid into carbon dioxide and water that are blown off as you breathe. Blood levels of lactic acid decrease and your muscles stop hurting."

Now, despite all this chemistry, Dr. Mirkin contends that this updated knowledge is not likely to change the way cyclists and other athletes train -- nor should it.

"A pace that you can hold when breathing fast and deeply -- but not gasping for breath -- is called the lactic acid [lactate] threshold and is the training level for most competitive athletes," he notes.

"Healthy people are supposed to exercise vigorously, and they're supposed to feel a burn in their muscles. This signifies lactic acid buildup, but it also signifies effective intensity."

If you feel sore the next day, he says the correct response is simple: "Go easy for as many days as it takes for muscles to feel fresh, and then exercise intensely again."

The new bottom line: Don't fear lactic acid. Yes, it burns, and one reason it does is because it's igniting your fitness.

Edited by SSMinnow 2010-03-06 7:19 PM
2010-03-06 9:27 PM
in reply to: #2712042

User image

Elite
Chicago
First and foremost, lactic acid is not the same as lactate but that is outside the scope of this post and quite frankly, outside the scope of this entire website.  Irrespective of this, lactate isn't the culprit for fatigue it's really the extra hydrogen molecule that doesn't have a home which causes muscle fatigue.

The quote you have below for the esteemed Dr. is really geared towards non-athlete type persons and not for people that are training on a regular basis.  However, he is right that lactate is NOT bad...in fact it is required for the krebs cycle to work, especially in high intensity exercises.

Anyway, let's get to the answers of your questions:

1.  Yes, it's possible any people do it all the time...I actually did it today during my 13 mi run.  However, it's not possible to sustain that effort for as long as you would w/o the extra hydrogen molecules filling your bloodstream.  It is a little "mind over matter" but for a time, you will eventually need to cry "uncle".  That's not the point though.  Trained athletes experience their lactate threshold at a higher percentage of their vo2max than untrained persons so really, training is all about push from the bottom and pulling from the top your threshold by utilizing properly executed workouts during the appropriate times of the year.  One of the main reasons I structure my athletes cycling workouts so strictly is because a 4 hour ride w/o regard to HR or watts is a waste of time but a structured workout of 4 hours that begins to allow your body to adapt to push up or pull up your threshold system is what generates adaptation.  Athletes that don't follow proper structured training find that there is minimal or sporadic movement in their threshold as evidenced by poor racing performance due to too late or too early of a fitness peak.  Is it necessary to slow down?  It depends.  If the workout calls for a top of z3/bottom of z4 effort, that is hovering right at your LT...therefore you should fell the "burn" and then back of just every so slightly for a bit the ramp back up again to the "burn" then back off slightly...repeating the process for the prescribed amount of time for the effort.  If the workout calls for z5 effort then yes, if you don't feel the burn you're doing it incorrectly and you should NOT stop but fight through the burn "mind over matter" for the prescribed amount of time for the effort.

2.  If your muscles aren't sore....well again, it depends what the workout was for.  If it was an LT workout you may very well not be sore for several reasons; you are very good at recovery, you are well hydrated, the workout wasn't long enough to cause it, you have adapted well to the effort.  Just because you aren't sore the next day doesn't mean you will not reap any physiological adaptation or that the workout was a waste of time.  Muscles soreness should never be an indicator whether or not a swim, bike, or run workout "worked".  That's what testing is for.

Let me know if you might have more questions or if I missed the mark in my answers to you and I can elaborate a bit more.

SSMinnow - 2010-03-06 6:52 PM Steve: How about a bike question?  I have heard that Lactic Acid is not the villian it was once portrayed to be and this article does a good job giving the basics on why that is the case....but it raises two questions for me:

1. Is it possible to keep working even if your muscles are hurting from the potassium/chlorid interaction? like mind over matter? or is it necessary to always slow down?

2. If your muscles aren't sore the next day does that say you could have worked harder even with the build-up, but you didn't?

Realize you may not know the answer to either question, but as I do harder rides I am trying to figure out when I just need to suck it up and when there is a physiological reason why I can't.

Example: Repeating the longstanding mantra that lactic acid is the evil offspring of strenuous exercise. That it causes intolerable muscle pain and forces you to slow down, then feel sore for a day or more. That a buildup of lactic acid should be avoided like that patch of glass just ahead.

Right? Well, partly.

Although that thinking has been ingrained in training advice for years, Dr. Gabe Mirkin wants us to know that lactic acid no longer deserves a bum rap. In fact, as this cycling physician says on his advice-packed medical website, lactic acid is actually beneficial.

Here's his explanation:

"When you exercise, sugar [carbohydrate] is broken down into different chemicals to produce energy for muscles. As long as you get all the oxygen you need, the final products are carbon dioxide and water. But if you exercise so vigorously that you can't get sufficient oxygen, the reactions stop, causing lactic acid to accumulate in your muscles and spill into your bloodstream.

"The old theory was that lactic acid makes the muscles more acidic which causes them to hurt and burn and interferes with their ability to contract, so you feel tired. Now researchers have shown that muscles contract more efficiently when lactic acid accumulates in them."

"Electric currents cause muscles to contract. This electricity is generated by cell membranes, causing potassium to move inside cells and chloride ions to stay outside. With vigorous exercise, potassium ions accumulate outside cells. As large amounts accumulate, electricity is not generated and the cells cannot contract.

"Chloride prevents potassium from getting back inside. Lactic acid removes the chloride, so it is easier for potassium to return. In this way, lactic acid increases the ratio of potassium inside cells to the amount outside, and this helps the muscle contract with more efficiency."

The doc continues, "When lactic acid causes muscles to hurt, you slow down to catch up with your oxygen debt. This converts lactic acid into carbon dioxide and water that are blown off as you breathe. Blood levels of lactic acid decrease and your muscles stop hurting."

Now, despite all this chemistry, Dr. Mirkin contends that this updated knowledge is not likely to change the way cyclists and other athletes train -- nor should it.

"A pace that you can hold when breathing fast and deeply -- but not gasping for breath -- is called the lactic acid [lactate] threshold and is the training level for most competitive athletes," he notes.

"Healthy people are supposed to exercise vigorously, and they're supposed to feel a burn in their muscles. This signifies lactic acid buildup, but it also signifies effective intensity."

If you feel sore the next day, he says the correct response is simple: "Go easy for as many days as it takes for muscles to feel fresh, and then exercise intensely again."

The new bottom line: Don't fear lactic acid. Yes, it burns, and one reason it does is because it's igniting your fitness.

2010-03-06 10:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida

Ok, I barely have the strength to type this post.  Tell me this is going to get better/easier.

I just had my biggest brick ever:  2hour bike Z2 to Z3, then 1:10 run with negative split 2nd half.  My legs feel like they are made of bubble wrap and tiny popping spasms are just firing all over my legs.

I'm so tired...going to sleep...can't...wait...to do it...again...

2010-03-07 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2712179

User image

Champion
Since you offered, I do have a couple of follow ups on the comments below.

1. As you know, I train with power, but also monitor HR. I occasionally find that in these harder rides, my power might be in high Z3/low Z4 (as you describe below), but my HR is in high Z4/low Z5.  I am assuming that is due to some need to adapt to the workload, but can/should an athlete just keep going as long as they can even if their HR is higher than the presribed workout calls for?

2. If an athlete cannot maintain the Z5 effort, would you recommend them backing off slightly to recover (and maybe match HR Z5) and then try to return to the Z5 effort for the rest of the interval?

Steve- - 2010-03-06 9:27 PM First and foremost, lactic acid is not the same as lactate but that is outside the scope of this post and quite frankly, outside the scope of this entire website.  Irrespective of this, lactate isn't the culprit for fatigue it's really the extra hydrogen molecule that doesn't have a home which causes muscle fatigue.

The quote you have below for the esteemed Dr. is really geared towards non-athlete type persons and not for people that are training on a regular basis.  However, he is right that lactate is NOT bad...in fact it is required for the krebs cycle to work, especially in high intensity exercises.

1.  Yes, it's possible any people do it all the time...I actually did it today during my 13 mi run.  However, it's not possible to sustain that effort for as long as you would w/o the extra hydrogen molecules filling your bloodstream.  It is a little "mind over matter" but for a time, you will eventually need to cry "uncle".  That's not the point though.  Trained athletes experience their lactate threshold at a higher percentage of their vo2max than untrained persons so really, training is all about push from the bottom and pulling from the top your threshold by utilizing properly executed workouts during the appropriate times of the year.  One of the main reasons I structure my athletes cycling workouts so strictly is because a 4 hour ride w/o regard to HR or watts is a waste of time but a structured workout of 4 hours that begins to allow your body to adapt to push up or pull up your threshold system is what generates adaptation.  Athletes that don't follow proper structured training find that there is minimal or sporadic movement in their threshold as evidenced by poor racing performance due to too late or too early of a fitness peak.  Is it necessary to slow down?  It depends.  If the workout calls for a top of z3/bottom of z4 effort, that is hovering right at your LT...therefore you should fell the "burn" and then back of just every so slightly for a bit the ramp back up again to the "burn" then back off slightly...repeating the process for the prescribed amount of time for the effortIf the workout calls for z5 effort then yes, if you don't feel the burn you're doing it incorrectly and you should NOT stop but fight through the burn "mind over matter" for the prescribed amount of time for the effort.

2.  If your muscles aren't sore....well again, it depends what the workout was for.  If it was an LT workout you may very well not be sore for several reasons; you are very good at recovery, you are well hydrated, the workout wasn't long enough to cause it, you have adapted well to the effort.  Just because you aren't sore the next day doesn't mean you will not reap any physiological adaptation or that the workout was a waste of time.  Muscles soreness should never be an indicator whether or not a swim, bike, or run workout "worked".  That's what testing is for.

Let me know if you might have more questions or if I missed the mark in my answers to you and I can elaborate a bit more.

SSMinnow - 2010-03-06 6:52 PM Steve: How about a bike question?  I have heard that Lactic Acid is not the villian it was once portrayed to be and this article does a good job giving the basics on why that is the case....but it raises two questions for me:

Right? Well, partly.

Here's his explanation:

2010-03-07 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2712565

User image

Elite
Chicago
1.  Do you feel the burn at LT?  It should occur right about the same wattage level each time you bump up against it if you get to it gradually and not quickly to avoide blowing past it and not really knowing where the edge is.  If an athlete does what I described (bump up against it...feel the burn, then back off slightly and repeat) they should be able to maintain this for quite a while.  I would use watts and the feeling in your muscles as more of a guage than HR.

2.  It depends on why the athlete can't maintain z5.  If it's because they are crying uncle then I say no, don't stop but if it's because their legs stop working when they honestly are pushing (even using their body weight) the cranks...then a retest could be necessary as the previous test might have not been accurate when completed by the athlete.  Once accurately tested (with watts) an athlete should be able to maintain z5 for the prescribed time period as these time periods are significantly shorter than z3/z4 efforts.

SSMinnow - 2010-03-07 11:03 AM Since you offered, I do have a couple of follow ups on the comments below.

1. As you know, I train with power, but also monitor HR. I occasionally find that in these harder rides, my power might be in high Z3/low Z4 (as you describe below), but my HR is in high Z4/low Z5.  I am assuming that is due to some need to adapt to the workload, but can/should an athlete just keep going as long as they can even if their HR is higher than the presribed workout calls for?

2. If an athlete cannot maintain the Z5 effort, would you recommend them backing off slightly to recover (and maybe match HR Z5) and then try to return to the Z5 effort for the rest of the interval?

Steve- - 2010-03-06 9:27 PM First and foremost, lactic acid is not the same as lactate but that is outside the scope of this post and quite frankly, outside the scope of this entire website.  Irrespective of this, lactate isn't the culprit for fatigue it's really the extra hydrogen molecule that doesn't have a home which causes muscle fatigue.

1.  Yes, it's possible any people do it all the time...I actually did it today during my 13 mi run.  However, it's not possible to sustain that effort for as long as you would w/o the extra hydrogen molecules filling your bloodstream.  It is a little "mind over matter" but for a time, you will eventually need to cry "uncle".  That's not the point though.  Trained athletes experience their lactate threshold at a higher percentage of their vo2max than untrained persons so really, training is all about push from the bottom and pulling from the top your threshold by utilizing properly executed workouts during the appropriate times of the year.  One of the main reasons I structure my athletes cycling workouts so strictly is because a 4 hour ride w/o regard to HR or watts is a waste of time but a structured workout of 4 hours that begins to allow your body to adapt to push up or pull up your threshold system is what generates adaptation.  Athletes that don't follow proper structured training find that there is minimal or sporadic movement in their threshold as evidenced by poor racing performance due to too late or too early of a fitness peak.  Is it necessary to slow down?  It depends.  If the workout calls for a top of z3/bottom of z4 effort, that is hovering right at your LT...therefore you should fell the "burn" and then back of just every so slightly for a bit the ramp back up again to the "burn" then back off slightly...repeating the process for the prescribed amount of time for the effortIf the workout calls for z5 effort then yes, if you don't feel the burn you're doing it incorrectly and you should NOT stop but fight through the burn "mind over matter" for the prescribed amount of time for the effort.

[/QUOTE

Edited by Steve- 2010-03-07 11:29 AM
2010-03-07 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
ok, this am i did my first bike - run; nothing major, 17 and 3 miles respectively. Anyway, although I was told to expect it, I was still surprised by how horrible my legs felt transitioning to the run. Things did start to work themselves out by around the 1/2 mile mark (thank goodness) and shortly thereafter was back to only the expected sore hamstring hurt. So, the question is: will more brick training make the transition any easier or is it something I will just have to suck up?Ann-Marie
2010-03-07 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2712602

User image

Elite
san francisco
amd723 - 2010-03-07 9:57 AM ok, this am i did my first bike - run; nothing major, 17 and 3 miles respectively. Anyway, although I was told to expect it, I was still surprised by how horrible my legs felt transitioning to the run. Things did start to work themselves out by around the 1/2 mile mark (thank goodness) and shortly thereafter was back to only the expected sore hamstring hurt. So, the question is: will more brick training make the transition any easier or is it something I will just have to suck up?Ann-Marie

LOL, I did my first brick of the season last Monday 65/2.5 and my legs felt like running on tree trunks (that felt like they were going to snap) for the first five minutes.  I honestly felt like I might fall over if I stopped forward motion.  And like you, it worked itself out after that first half mile or so...I have another one tomorrow, so I'll let you know if it's any better   I don't think it ever gets that much better for those first five minutes (if my memory from last season serves me correctly).  However, what did get better/easier, is the ability to keep going a bit longer just knowing it will go away.

Last year, I remember that my bricks felt difficult more to stomach issues vs.  leg wobbliness, but I was much worse about remembering to keep steady hydration/nutrition.  But last year I didn't have a coach telling me to get into Z3 right off the bike, so I ran a lot easier starting off. 

Hmm. 
2010-03-07 12:15 PM
in reply to: #2712612

User image

Master
Orlando
Rats! I was hoping to be told it will go away completely
2010-03-07 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2712602

User image

Elite
Chicago
one way to help the run out of T2 is to spin easy for the last 5 min or so, bringing your HR down and your force on the pedals to let your legs flush out a bit.

bricks help, but using them excessively during the season expose you unnecessarily to injury.

the run leg is always the toughest part for everyone.

amd723 - 2010-03-07 11:57 AM ok, this am i did my first bike - run; nothing major, 17 and 3 miles respectively. Anyway, although I was told to expect it, I was still surprised by how horrible my legs felt transitioning to the run. Things did start to work themselves out by around the 1/2 mile mark (thank goodness) and shortly thereafter was back to only the expected sore hamstring hurt. So, the question is: will more brick training make the transition any easier or is it something I will just have to suck up?Ann-Marie

2010-03-07 9:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida

Great job this week everyone.  It looks like many of us had breakthroughs this week.  Next weekend we get to post more war stories.

Let's roll up the sleeves and have another go!

2010-03-08 10:08 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
I did my second brick today 69/5...and Ann Marie, you will be happy to know that it does get better!  My legs only felt slightly awful for the first two minutes...Steve's suggestion helped alot.

Unfortunately I got hailed upon with 10 minutes left to run, and that really hurts!

But happy that it seemed better than last week

Kim
2010-03-09 6:08 AM
in reply to: #2715533

User image

Master
Orlando

Glad to hear things get better, I'll make sure to follow Steve;s suggestions too.  Thankfully, I'm sure I won't have to worry about dodging hail!

2010-03-09 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Small Town
Whew, so yesterday was a beautiful day here and I had a planned 2.5 hour ride.  I took the Lola off the trainer and remembered that I needed to change the chain (as I put a larger chainring on, the old chain is too small).  Got the old chain off and my chain tool broke!  I could get either chain on the bike.  CRAP!!

Being that my training partner got to my house and I wasn't finished - I got out the MTB.  She was on her CX bike, so we planned for a bit slower ride.  So out we went for a straight out and back (back with the wind).  It goes without saying, really, but the gearing on a MTB is significantly different than a TT bike.  But what sucks is that I realized my shifters were broken on the MTB... only to shift intermittently.  Knobby tires, feet in cages - out we went.  It hurt, but I got it done!

I do feel a certain level of accomplishment, but WOW!  That was different.  2h 15min and 33ish miles put the overall avg pace at about 15mph.  Not too bad.  First time I broke it out this year.

*Patting self on back*
2010-03-09 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2715873

User image

Elite
Chicago
nice, good for you!  sometimes when I ride with my wife, I ride my MTB with my little guy sitting in the bike trailer behind me and I can get a pretty good workout with all the weight and knobby tires slowing me down and my wife isn't yelling at me to slow down. 

I get my HR in the zones I need, get my quads to burn when needed, and it's one big happy family!

JHagerman - 2010-03-09 8:17 AM Whew, so yesterday was a beautiful day here and I had a planned 2.5 hour ride.  I took the Lola off the trainer and remembered that I needed to change the chain (as I put a larger chainring on, the old chain is too small).  Got the old chain off and my chain tool broke!  I could get either chain on the bike.  CRAP!!

Being that my training partner got to my house and I wasn't finished - I got out the MTB.  She was on her CX bike, so we planned for a bit slower ride.  So out we went for a straight out and back (back with the wind).  It goes without saying, really, but the gearing on a MTB is significantly different than a TT bike.  But what sucks is that I realized my shifters were broken on the MTB... only to shift intermittently.  Knobby tires, feet in cages - out we went.  It hurt, but I got it done!

I do feel a certain level of accomplishment, but WOW!  That was different.  2h 15min and 33ish miles put the overall avg pace at about 15mph.  Not too bad.  First time I broke it out this year.

*Patting self on back*

2010-03-09 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2715533

User image

Elite
Chicago
ouch.  hail is the worst to run in....i'm not sure if little pellets hurt more or the larger ones. ...they all hurt!

kt65 - 2010-03-08 10:08 PM I did my second brick today 69/5...and Ann Marie, you will be happy to know that it does get better!  My legs only felt slightly awful for the first two minutes...Steve's suggestion helped alot.

Unfortunately I got hailed upon with 10 minutes left to run, and that really hurts!

But happy that it seemed better than last week

Kim
2010-03-10 9:29 AM

User image

Champion
Steve

Another bike related question for you....now that I have my new bike the first question everyone keeps asking me (besides what size is it) is which race wheels I plan to get.  Given my placement with my AG, I honestly hadn't planned on getting any.  I am pretty limited when it comes to rim depth anyway given my size and only have 650cc as the options.  Am I missing something? I think the wow factor can be pretty high, but so is the investment.

Suzy
2010-03-10 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2718293

User image

Elite
Chicago
i hate to have athletes spend money needlessly.  my opinion is buying race wheels is a complete waste of money for a few reasons:

1)  you can rent a pair for about $100 bucks for your races (even less if you have a good relationship with a LBS)

2)  technology is changing so rapidly from year to year, renting lets you take advantage of the best technology w/o being stuck with the ones you buy

3)  you can test out different combos (disc vs non disc, deep, deep only in back, etc.)

I've made the mistake of buying race wheels in the past (twice) only to come to the realization above.  bought a pair of 404s only to sell them 1.5 yrs later.   then bought the 808s when they came out because i got such a great deal on them....only to sell them 4 months w/o ever riding them and bought a computrainer instead....i used it more and it costs less. 

i think many triathletes want to look fast and want to buy speed when they really need to be spending money on making the engine faster rather than their machine faster.  i'm not advocating NOT racing with race wheels, just advocating NOT buying them.

After years and years of racing I personally have settled on 2 different setups when I race:

1)  wheel cover for rear wheel and 404 or 808 in front (rented or borrowed from a friend)

OR

2)  a rented full racewheel set

That's my $0.02. 

SSMinnow - 2010-03-10 9:29 AM Steve

Another bike related question for you....now that I have my new bike the first question everyone keeps asking me (besides what size is it) is which race wheels I plan to get.  Given my placement with my AG, I honestly hadn't planned on getting any.  I am pretty limited when it comes to rim depth anyway given my size and only have 650cc as the options.  Am I missing something? I think the wow factor can be pretty high, but so is the investment.

Suzy

Edited by Steve- 2010-03-10 9:44 AM
2010-03-10 4:01 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Yeah, I think the little pellets hurt a lot more than the big ones...I was just so happy when it turned into a moist downpour! 

I will be racing with my training wheels, Easton EA70's, I think they will do the job just fine...

2010-03-10 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2719461

User image

Elite
Chicago
good for you.  you'll do great!

I raced with my training wheels with a rear wheel cover in 2008 for both of my Ironman races and actually PR'd one of them....go figure...no race wheels needed to get that PR. 

As a frame of reference, the previous PR was done WITH race wheels.  Just an example of how "investing" on the engine bears good results.

OK...now I think I'm up to giving my $0.04.

kt65 - 2010-03-10 4:01 PM

I will be racing with my training wheels, Easton EA70's, I think they will do the job just fine...

Edited by Steve- 2010-03-10 4:17 PM

2010-03-14 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN

Hectic week for me.  Bought a new to me bike, even though I don’t yet have pics, it does exist.  Specialized Allez Elite with Ultegra groupset and Bontrager RaceLite wheels for under $400.  Not a tri bike, but much nicer than my old bike.  Then I spent a couple days after work just getting it set up for me and cleaning up my old bike for sale. 

Went for a ride yesterday, a grey, windy 40 outside.  The guy I rode with is uncomfortable riding in any traffic so we did a country out-and-back, the wrong way, out with and back against the wind.  But at least I got outside.

Two hockey games today with an easy 4 mile run between them.  Back on the horse next week.

2010-03-14 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida

Hi all!

Just writing in to brag about my 3rd Place finish at my St.Paddy's Day 5K in Chicago this morning!

I know it's not distance or endurance based, it's just nice to place in a race so early in the season while training for endurance for the better part of a month now.

I hope you are all gaining benefits in your training.

2010-03-15 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2726012

User image

Champion
Awesome, It might not be a long race, but sometimes those are the hardest....Congratulations!

eddievolly - 2010-03-14 9:04 PM

Hi all!

Just writing in to brag about my 3rd Place finish at my St.Paddy's Day 5K in Chicago this morning!

I know it's not distance or endurance based, it's just nice to place in a race so early in the season while training for endurance for the better part of a month now.

2010-03-15 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2726012

User image

Elite
Chicago
wow!  that's awesome.  nice job man.

eddievolly - 2010-03-14 9:04 PM

Hi all!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21