BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Mentor Group v4.0 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2011-05-11 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3492161

User image

Master
North Alabama
Subject: RE: BamaDC's Mentor Group v4.0 - Closed
pilotzs - 2011-05-10 3:26 PM

And I found out today I have a scratched cornea and infection in my eye.

glasses and training don't mix well for me.  And my eye is VERY sensitive to light.  Any suggestions?

keep drops in your eye, give it a couple of days. You'll be alright. It'll heal quick. Looks like you can be on your trainer and running which isn't a bad thing!

If you want, give it until Monday to resume swimming.

2011-05-11 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3493047

User image

Master
North Alabama
Mrschach - 2011-05-11 8:00 AM

Hey guys!  I am terrible!  I have not checked in or even read the posts here for at least the past week.  We are having some major issues with our 4 year old and I have not been online much.  I have been on to log my lousy workouts and that is it.  Because of family stuff, I have missed too many long runs and will not be running my marathon this weekend.  At this point, I plan on selling my bib for MCM in October too.  Training is just way too much for me right now with my littles.  I feel as though I need to do right by and for my boys and I don't think I have been doing that training for the longer distances.  I made the tough decision a few weeks ago to go back to working out for fitness and not actually training.  It sucks being a mom sometimes!

I have barely ran since making that decision but have been weight lifting more and biking.  I even got to the pool last night for a swim. 

Things are slowly getting better and also slowing down at work.  I am going to catch up today and promise to be active!

That's a tough pill to swallow. But it is good that you're still considering family over personal. I know our 18week program for MCM that I'm using doesn't start until June, but I too am getting worried.

Instead of selling the MCM bib, can you transfer it, or is that too much of a risk too?

Either way, whatever keeps you doing it and lets you have fun! If this becomes work, you should get paid for it!

2011-05-11 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Mrschach - 2011-05-11 9:00 AM

Hey guys!  I am terrible!  I have not checked in or even read the posts here for at least the past week.  We are having some major issues with our 4 year old and I have not been online much.  I have been on to log my lousy workouts and that is it.  Because of family stuff, I have missed too many long runs and will not be running my marathon this weekend.  At this point, I plan on selling my bib for MCM in October too.  Training is just way too much for me right now with my littles.  I feel as though I need to do right by and for my boys and I don't think I have been doing that training for the longer distances.  I made the tough decision a few weeks ago to go back to working out for fitness and not actually training.  It sucks being a mom sometimes!

I have barely ran since making that decision but have been weight lifting more and biking.  I even got to the pool last night for a swim. 

Things are slowly getting better and also slowing down at work.  I am going to catch up today and promise to be active!

That sucks but it sounds like you've got your priorities right.  I hope everything works out with you 4yr old.  A marathon is a big deal and you need to be able to focus on it if it's going to be a positive experience.  I think you're doing the right thing by backing off for now. That said, I don' think you need to completely give up training and racing.  There are lot of shorter events you can do and many of them are much smaller venues so you don't have committe months in advance (many will let you sign up that day).  For example, there is a 5k or 10k run near me just about every week in the summer.  Have you thought about trying things like that to help keep you motivated?  It's really heard to run a good 5k or 10k (ie you need to put in some solid training) but the distance is much more forgiving so if you have to prioritize you life for a while it's easier to get back on track when things settle down and still have an enjoyable race.  Just a thought.

2011-05-11 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3493270

User image

Veteran
cornfed - 2011-05-11 9:22 AM

That sucks but it sounds like you've got your priorities right.  I hope everything works out with you 4yr old.  A marathon is a big deal and you need to be able to focus on it if it's going to be a positive experience.  I think you're doing the right thing by backing off for now. That said, I don' think you need to completely give up training and racing.  There are lot of shorter events you can do and many of them are much smaller venues so you don't have committe months in advance (many will let you sign up that day).  For example, there is a 5k or 10k run near me just about every week in the summer.  Have you thought about trying things like that to help keep you motivated?  It's really heard to run a good 5k or 10k (ie you need to put in some solid training) but the distance is much more forgiving so if you have to prioritize you life for a while it's easier to get back on track when things settle down and still have an enjoyable race.  Just a thought.

x2 on this.  There was a time last year when I did a smattering of 5ks and registered for each one on race day.  It was fun and nice to not have a plan that I was either following or going off of, less stress.  I agree that your priorities are right and hope that you can strike a good balance between everything.  We don't have kids but I can imagine they make scheduling trainings a bit more complicated.  Good luck with everything!

2011-05-11 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

And that is exactly my plan for this year!  I hit the pool last night and saw someone I was friendly with when I was at the gym daily.  Him and 6 or 7 other people are running 5ks together and trying to train for their first sprint tri.  They all live within 5 minutes from my house so I am hoping to join them on some training and races. 

I have from sometime in June through August to officially transfer my bib for MCM.  I know I will be able to find someone to take it considering how quickly it sold out.  I just can't commit to another full marathon right now.  My family will always come first!

2011-05-11 3:19 PM
in reply to: #3434029

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Just got my wave number for next weekend.  They combined my AG (30-34) with the 20-24 group so I'll be starting with about 200 of my closest friends. This race is pretty big deal local so there is mix of experienced and new athletes so this should be interested.  I guess I won't have to worry about sighting... I'll just follow the churning mass of bodies!

2011-05-11 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3494166

User image

Expert
Alabama

cornfed - 2011-05-11 3:19 PM Just got my wave number for next weekend.  They combined my AG (30-34) with the 20-24 group so I'll be starting with about 200 of my closest friends. This race is pretty big deal local so there is mix of experienced and new athletes so this should be interested.  I guess I won't have to worry about sighting... I'll just follow the churning mass of bodies!

Just don't follow the wrong churning mass of bodies.

Good luck.  Most of mine are time trial starts this year.

2011-05-11 5:53 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

Hang in there.  I've got 3 boys under 4 yo.  I know how workout time can just disapper.

I hope your little one gets to feeling better.

2011-05-12 6:49 AM

User image

Regular

That's tough.  As a mom of two little ones, I get it, though.  I've had to modify training plans, do a lot of treadmill running and trainer riding to train for my HIM.  Was the time away from them worth it- I say yes, but I'm not sure they would agree.  Do what's right for you and for them - and I definitely think you should find the time to train for a 5 or 10k.  You need to keep yourself fit and happy - it will help you to be a better mom.  Good luck and keep posting.  I think there are a lot of parents of young ones in this group.

2011-05-12 7:26 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama

I'm not sure if I should be excited or disappointed. I ran a 5k TT this morning to see where I am, and that leads to my state of confusion.

My time this morning: 25:55 for 3.11mi. (8:15, 8:12, 8:35, :52) (Yes, I know I didn't pace well on mile 3. I hate that service road.)

The problem, my 5k PR is 26:02 set in MARCH 2010.

I'm not sure if I should be excited that I got a new PR (only counts in a race though), or disappointed that I only improved 0:08 seconds in a year.

Thoughts?

2011-05-12 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3495016

User image

Expert
Alabama
jennitris - 2011-05-12 6:49 AM

That's tough.  As a mom of two little ones, I get it, though.  I've had to modify training plans, do a lot of treadmill running and trainer riding to train for my HIM.  Was the time away from them worth it- I say yes, but I'm not sure they would agree.  Do what's right for you and for them - and I definitely think you should find the time to train for a 5 or 10k.  You need to keep yourself fit and happy - it will help you to be a better mom.  Good luck and keep posting.  I think there are a lot of parents of young ones in this group.

x2.  The little ones can take up some time, but they are worth it.  When they need attention,  you have to be there for them, and that's more important than training for anything.  You will be glad you took the time with them.  Marathon's and HIM's, etc will be there next year and the year after.  Your children only grow up once.

2011-05-12 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3495063

User image

Veteran
LostSheep - 2011-05-12 7:26 AM

I'm not sure if I should be excited or disappointed. I ran a 5k TT this morning to see where I am, and that leads to my state of confusion.

My time this morning: 25:55 for 3.11mi. (8:15, 8:12, 8:35, :52) (Yes, I know I didn't pace well on mile 3. I hate that service road.)

I'm not sure if I should be excited that I got a new PR (only counts in a race though), or disappointed that I only improved 0:08 seconds in a year.

Thoughts?

I think you should be excited about this run.  I get where you are coming from but the takeaway from your run this AM (i think) is that you imrpoved and that's good news no matter how you slice it!  Plus, there could be lots of reasons why you only shaved :08 off your time today: course, hydration, nutrtion, rest, stress, etc, etc, etc.  Also something to consider, this was done as a training run and races add something that's hard to mimic in training: competition.  I'd bet money you'd run faster than you did this AM in a 5k race with other runners.  I say good job!

2011-05-12 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3495477

User image

Expert
Raleigh
mashmead - 2011-05-12 10:25 AM

Thoughts?

I think you should be excited about this run.  I get where you are coming from but the takeaway from your run this AM (i think) is that you imrpoved and that's good news no matter how you slice it!  Plus, there could be lots of reasons why you only shaved :08 off your time today: course, hydration, nutrtion, rest, stress, etc, etc, etc.  Also something to consider, this was done as a training run and races add something that's hard to mimic in training: competition.  I'd bet money you'd run faster than you did this AM in a 5k race with other runners.  I say good job!

Yeah dude, I bet in a race you'd shave another minute off that time. It's really hard to push yourself the way you would in a real competition. You should definitely be happy with the improvement.

2011-05-12 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3495063

User image

Master

Thoughts?

1.  It is a PR, race or not.

2.  You are in the middle of general training.  You ran this in a non-race setting.  No taper, no nothing to sharpen you up.

3.  In a real race you'll be significantly faster than this.  24:xx easy.

On my end I have an announcement:  Holy s*** I'm sore.  4,000 yard swim sessions SUCK.

That is all.

Edited by sand101 2011-05-12 11:37 AM
2011-05-12 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3495660

User image

Expert
Alabama
sand101 - 2011-05-12 11:37 AM

Thoughts?

2.  You are in the middle of general training.  You ran this in a non-race setting.  No taper, no nothing to sharpen you up.

On my end I have an announcement:  Holy s*** I'm sore.  4,000 yard swim sessions SUCK.

That is all.

At least you can get in the pool!!!  Heading back to the eye doc today to see about the progress.  Training has been sparse this week, as I think I got a bit down on the eye problem.  

Sand, Don't know if I'll make the practice race or not.  If I get the okay, I'm planning on being out there.  If not, I'll probably have to skip it.

2011-05-12 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3495660

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
sand101 - 2011-05-12 12:37 PM

Thoughts?

Agree.  You'll probably be able to push harder in a race (I know I can) and you'll be rested.  Take it for what it is... proof that you're improving!

2011-05-12 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3495756

User image

Master
North Alabama
cornfed - 2011-05-12 12:22 PM

Thoughts?

Agree.  You'll probably be able to push harder in a race (I know I can) and you'll be rested.  Take it for what it is... proof that you're improving!

Alright. I'll take it as a PR and cheer up. And true, I improved. I'll take it, but now I need to find a good 5k!

2011-05-12 1:07 PM
in reply to: #3495817

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
LostSheep - 2011-05-12 1:55 PM
cornfed - 2011-05-12 12:22 PM

Thoughts?

Alright. I'll take it as a PR and cheer up. And true, I improved. I'll take it, but now I need to find a good 5k!

After all the sunshine we've blown up your arse you'd better do well.  But no pressure...

2011-05-12 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3495833

User image

Master
North Alabama
cornfed - 2011-05-12 1:07 PM

After all the sunshine we've blown up your arse you'd better do well.  But no pressure...

I've got a 5k swim coming up in 10 days. That should count for something, right?

2011-05-12 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3496092

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
LostSheep - 2011-05-12 4:17 PM
cornfed - 2011-05-12 1:07 PM

I've got a 5k swim coming up in 10 days. That should count for something, right?

Considering the thought of swimming 5k makes me tired maybe I shouldn't give you too much crap!

2011-05-12 4:43 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama

Alright, update on my eye.  Not good news, as I'm still in my glasses until Monday, when I go back to the doctor.  Still have a scratch on my cornea and some infection.  Hopefully it will clear up enough to get me up and running early next week.  My first tri is a week from Sunday.  Until then, I'm going to try and run and bike some with the glasses, see how that goes.

Sand, Guess I'm out for the practice race this weekend.  I just don't want to swim and risk getting any further issues with my eye.

Apparently the CDC has issued warnings about the increase in eye infections across the south.  They have seen a spike this year.  Interesting information.

2011-05-12 4:44 PM

User image

Regular
Salem

Hey everybody!  Sorry I have been MIA for the last few weeks.  I'm trying to get back into the swing of training.  I have also been adjusting to work and having to deal with all the drunks, crackheads and the other lost souls.   Work has been a downer this past week seeing all the pain of how some people choose to live there lives.  My time off from work ,while recovering from surgery, was not taken for granted.  Thank God for swimming, biking and running!

Hope everybody is having a great week.

2011-05-12 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3496246

User image

Master
North Alabama
pilotzs - 2011-05-12 4:43 PM

Alright, update on my eye.  Not good news, as I'm still in my glasses until Monday, when I go back to the doctor.  Still have a scratch on my cornea and some infection.  Hopefully it will clear up enough to get me up and running early next week.  My first tri is a week from Sunday.  Until then, I'm going to try and run and bike some with the glasses, see how that goes.

Did doc give or prescribe you some eye drops to help with it? I believe mine healed up in prob 3 days with the drops and I was good to go. I guess the good thing is that I don't have to wear contacts...

2011-05-12 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3496108

User image

Master
North Alabama
cornfed - 2011-05-12 3:23 PM

Considering the thought of swimming 5k makes me tired maybe I shouldn't give you too much crap!

After Sands and I sweep the podium, you know you're going to want to join us next year

2011-05-12 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3496343

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
LostSheep - 2011-05-12 5:49 PM
cornfed - 2011-05-12 3:23 PM

After Sands and I sweep the podium, you know you're going to want to join us next year

...... Nah!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Mentor Group v4.0 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 44