BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-02-17 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3955221

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
Subject: RE: esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed

Swim went good today.  I can see my times improving a little bit.  Looks like I found another race.  Xterra just added Pueblo, CO to their schedule (my home town) and it will be a tri (1K swim, 14 mile single track mountain bike ride & 5K trail run).  I'm using this one to get my brother off the couch and get moving  When I told him the swim length he freaked out a little, I laughed inside a bit.  I think due to the fact it is a lake swim, that freaked him out.  Oh if he only knew..

I just want to say that jumping in the group has helped me a bunch. And a big thanks to Esc for your leadership  

2012-02-18 8:38 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
Good Morning!

Finishing off a great week today with my last planned training session.  I have not missed a meal, had an unplanned meal or missed a workout session. HUGE WIN! First 100% week in a very long time. Looking forward to snowboarding tomorrow with the fam and taking my kids for the first time.  My run will be at a very easy pace.  I really hope they have fun and like it!

Today's Meal Plan:
M1 Coaches oats - plain with some walnuts and blue berries
M2 Recovery workout shake
M3 Wahoos grilled fish tacos
M4 Apple & Fat Free Greek Yogurt
M5 Grilled lean top round steak, steamed veggies and small baked potato

Training:
1 hour run
2012-02-18 9:11 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

My favorite:

Added some raisins, chopped walnuts & sliced apple:

2012-02-19 7:05 PM
in reply to: #4053871

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Joeyj1974 - 2012-02-17 7:04 PM

Swim went good today.  I can see my times improving a little bit.  Looks like I found another race.  Xterra just added Pueblo, CO to their schedule (my home town) and it will be a tri (1K swim, 14 mile single track mountain bike ride & 5K trail run).  I'm using this one to get my brother off the couch and get moving  When I told him the swim length he freaked out a little, I laughed inside a bit.  I think due to the fact it is a lake swim, that freaked him out.  Oh if he only knew..

I just want to say that jumping in the group has helped me a bunch. And a big thanks to Esc for your leadership  

I'm giving Xterra a shot this year.  It sounds like a great way to get dirty.  Also, it gives me an excuse to buy a new bike.

2012-02-19 7:08 PM
in reply to: #4054348

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Joeyj1974 - 2012-02-18 10:11 AM

My favorite:

Added some raisins, chopped walnuts & sliced apple:

I have never seen Coach's Oats before.  Is it maybe a local thing?  I'm a big oatmeal fan during the cool/cold weather months.  I add almond slivers and banana slices or brown sugar and cinnamon.  Delicious.

2012-02-19 7:12 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

I hope everyone had a great weekend!  I worked away the entire weekend but tomorrow (or Tuesday for you lucky ducks that don't work on President's Day) when y'all have to go back to work I'll be lazing about the house.  It's actually nice to have time off during the week.  It's so much easier to get things done - just me and the retired folks out running errands.

Even though I was working I did manage to get in a 7-miler and a 3.5-miler.  Tomorrow I'm planning a 7-miler in the morning and a trainer session for the evening.

Does anyone have anything exciting planned for the upcoming week? 

2012-02-19 9:05 PM
in reply to: #4053748

User image

Regular
NWA
esc - 2012-02-17 4:14 PM
Tambo1221 - 2012-02-17 3:32 PM

Alright - Question from Tam's...

I am rapidly coming to the end of my couch to sprint training program (I think I have about 2 wks left)...and my first race isn't until May 19th...what program would you suggest I move to next? (of course, this is pending the PF issues are resolved)

T.

What distance is your first race?  If you're signed up for a sprint race I would suggest you take a look at either the 12 wek beginner sprint or the 12 week basic sprint.  If the PF is still bugging you, you can do the suggested swim and bike workouts and modify the run training to meet your needs (ie drop any intensity and lower the workout duration). 

It is a sprint...I'm thinking the beginner sprint 12wk...thanks for the input...will download and print! 

2012-02-19 9:16 PM

User image

Regular
NWA

So, Goonies was on TV again yesterday (put it on for background noise)...made me think of you guys.

I didn't do a thing Friday/Sat/Sun.  Nada.  I gave tests all day Friday - drove 3 hrs to meet the hubs (who has been work travelling for the last 18 days) at the lakehouse for his birthday.  Pretty much eliminated any spare time I had Friday to get on a bike.  Spent the day with hubs, cleaning and prepping lakehouse for spring/summer Saturday...made a fabulous baked salmon dinner for his bday and then headed back today...now off to bed.

Ready to get back on track tomorrow...double brick is on the agenda...Wooo-EEEE!

Ya'll have a great Monday!

2012-02-20 9:30 AM

New user
Woolwich, Maine

I've been out of the loop for a few weeks but I'm back now!  I let the exercising slip for about a week and a half but I'm back at it now.  Yesterday I ran 3 miles and did my circuit training and today I'm heading out for a run - not sure how far yet, and the pool if there is time. My running has been so painfully slow this winter.  Yesterday it took me 32 minutes to run 3 miles, I don't think I've ever run 3 miles that slow.  With longer days I'll be able to run more frequently which should help with the time... I hope. 

I've started having smoothies for breakfast and either soup or salad for lunches and I've found that I'm slowing taking off a few pounds!  I'm hoping that exercising daily again will have the pounds come off a little quicker. 

On March 4th I'm running a 5k with my mom and her friend who is new to running.  I'm trying to talk my mother into running her first 1/2mary for Mother's Day, she's not up for it yet but I think I can talk her into it .  Her friend is running the 1/2 mary and I know they would have a blast doing it. 

Today I'm going to print out a training schedule for a sprint tri and put it on the fridge.  This seems to work for me, time to get serious!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day.  It feels good to be back

2012-02-20 10:18 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Emily - Bike - I told my wife this and she just laughed at me as I have three bikes right now.  I have my road bike (Trek Madone 5.2SL and a built up 6.5 inch travel Specialized Enduro (more down hill set up) and a hard tail 29er single speed (more of my neighborhood bike with the family).  I guess my spin bike makes 4.  I would love to get a trail bike (lighter 5 inch trail bike) and a tri bike (Turner 5.spot & Speshy Transition), but don't see either happening anytime soon 

On the Coaches Oats front.  I have been able to buy the 6 months supply bag shown at Costco even in CA.  They even have Coaches Oats Multi-grain pancake mix that is real good.  I have seen the Coaches Oats Oatmeal at the Grocery Store as well.

Plink - Welcome back!  I wouldn't dwell on the time out, but rather you are back in the saddle and making progress towards your goal.  My motto is always look forward and where you are going.  It's just like ridding your bike, the second you take your eyes off the road is when you hit that huge hole in the road and wipe out.  

2012-02-20 10:33 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Happy Presidents Day!!

I'm off, the hellions are off from school, but the DW is working.  Since she telecommutes, it is my sole responsibility to keep the kidos our of her office and hair  The first every family ski/snowboard day was a huge success the kids did great and are begging to go back, yay!!  I really needed this to be, as I have way to many hobbies that do not include the family (mountain biking, road biking, training for races ect..).  

The only bad thing about snowboarding so infrequent, I hurt in places I forgot I had and I need to get an hour swim in today.  Thank goodness it's not a run or bike as that would for sure not happen!  I will either suffer through it or drown  Let's hope for the suffering.

Jayden & Kacey

2012-02-20 3:41 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

It turned out to be a great day for a run.  I was going to run early in the day and hop on the trainer in the evening but it was only 27* when I got up this morning.  I opted to stay warm on the trainer and moved my run to the afternoon.  It was sunny and in the mid-40s by the time I hit the streets.  Perfect weather for a run.  I was feeling peppy (maybe it was the four cups of coffee I drank today) so I pushed the tempo a bit. 

Joey - love the kids in the snow gear!

Tammy - The 12 week sprint plan sounds like a perfect place to start.  Is the foot feeling any better?

Dawn - Glad you're back in action!  Sometimes a hiatus is just the right thing to renew motivation to train.

2012-02-22 10:29 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
I'm starting to feel like I only show up when I have questions...it's not like that, I promise!

Here's my dilemma - my running week is supposed to be 3/6/3/10-11. Last week was a drop back week & I ran 8ish on Saturday morning. I ran 3 on Monday and nearly 6 yesterday. Today I took off because my throat hurt - I was going to hit 3 today and 11 on Friday because my daughter has a soccer tourney all weekend long.

OK, now that I've taken today off, I'm looking at the weather and tomorrow looks AMAZING. So I'm wondering if I shouldn't put the 11 in tomorrow, and move the 3 to the weekend sometime between soccer games.

My legs are feeling good, so I don't see the 11 tomorrow being a problem that way - my main question is should I do the 3 this weekend or something else?

My next week is 3/6/3/10-12 and with the long run 2 weeks out from the race on March 18.

I'm not sure the question makes sense. I'm one of those rigid schedule followers and now I'm going off the rails so I'm not sure of myself.

Hope all is well, everyone!
2012-02-22 11:17 AM

Middle Tennessee

Joey - glad you had fun snowboarding. I don't do winter sports.  When we say skiing - we mean water skiing. 

Tammy - how is foot doing?

Kristen - CONGRATS! on the full professorship (is that even a word?, eh, I like the sound of it)

As for the run,  I would definitely take advantage of the great weather and do the 11 mi tomorrow.  Then plan on the 3 mi this weekend if you can find the time.  Just be sure to take the 3 mi easy, since I am inferring that the purpose of the 3 mi run is an easy base building.

Plink - welcome back!

Emily - Peppy runs are so much fun!

I've been out of pocket for about a week.  I pulled a wild hair and we took a last minute trip to the Smokey Mountains last weekend.  We left Thursday morning and got back Saturday night.  Training was hit or miss, mostly miss.  I swam some at the indoor water park, and did some water aerobics in the wave pool.  Waves make a huge difference in water aerobic workouts - .  I also got in about 4 15 minute stair running sessions at the hotel.  But I wanted to focus on my family and family time instead of training time.

Then Sunday - Tuesday, my personal life had a small explosion.  My husband's RA has been steadily getting worse, and the effects of that came to a head on Sunday.  I won't get into all details, but it wasn't pretty.  I will just say that chronic debilitating illnesses are terrible for all involved.  He did get into see his rheumatalogist on Monday, and he is going to start a new drug this week.  IF we can get the insurance company to approve it.  There is no way we can pay out of pocket for a  $500 per WEEK drug.  

I finally got back on track today with a nice easy 3 mile run,  and Body Pump class.  I will be able to get on the trainer this afternoon.

I have made some adjustments to my goals for this year.  I was really wanting to race this HIM in May.  With all of things that have really been out of my control over the past 2 months, I don't see racing being in the cards for this race.  Now I want to get to the finish line with a smile on my face, because I FINISHED my first HIM.  I still have confidence that I will be able to finish, but my training has been too sporadic to set a time goal.  I don't want to set myself up for failure.  I have a HIM planned in September that I will set a time goal for. 

2012-02-22 6:44 PM
in reply to: #4060426

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

enders_shadow - 2012-02-22 11:29 AM I'm starting to feel like I only show up when I have questions...it's not like that, I promise! Here's my dilemma - my running week is supposed to be 3/6/3/10-11. Last week was a drop back week & I ran 8ish on Saturday morning. I ran 3 on Monday and nearly 6 yesterday. Today I took off because my throat hurt - I was going to hit 3 today and 11 on Friday because my daughter has a soccer tourney all weekend long. OK, now that I've taken today off, I'm looking at the weather and tomorrow looks AMAZING. So I'm wondering if I shouldn't put the 11 in tomorrow, and move the 3 to the weekend sometime between soccer games. My legs are feeling good, so I don't see the 11 tomorrow being a problem that way - my main question is should I do the 3 this weekend or something else? My next week is 3/6/3/10-12 and with the long run 2 weeks out from the race on March 18. I'm not sure the question makes sense. I'm one of those rigid schedule followers and now I'm going off the rails so I'm not sure of myself. Hope all is well, everyone!

I think you're going to be OK swapping the 11-miler and the 3-miler.  I'm guessing the plan is set up with the shorter runs bracketing the long runs so you have a nice easy recovery run between the more taxing long runs.  Your training has been really solid up to this point so you shouldn't have too much trouble handling either the milage or the timing of back to back longer runs.  You've also had a full day of recovery since the six mile run.  Just go out nice and easy and enjoy the beautiful weather!

edited to add: Plan for an easy 3 this weekend if you can fit it in.  You'll be busy this weekend so don't stress yourself out over it.  If you miss it, you miss it.  In the grand scheme of things, 3 miles isn't going to make or break your race.

Edited by esc 2012-02-22 6:48 PM
2012-02-22 6:58 PM
in reply to: #4060585

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
KatNWater - 2012-02-22 12:17 PM

I have made some adjustments to my goals for this year.  I was really wanting to race this HIM in May.  With all of things that have really been out of my control over the past 2 months, I don't see racing being in the cards for this race.  Now I want to get to the finish line with a smile on my face, because I FINISHED my first HIM.  I still have confidence that I will be able to finish, but my training has been too sporadic to set a time goal.  I don't want to set myself up for failure.  I have a HIM planned in September that I will set a time goal for. 

I am living proof that you can get through a HIM on not nearly enough training.  You've still got a few months until the race.  With a solid swim background, you can probably get away with cutting back on your swim training and spending that extra time on the bike.  If you can get off the bike relatively fresh you're set up for a much more comfortable run.  If you would like some advice on how you can set up your training over the next few months feel free to ask.  I can give you a few ideas to work with.

2012-02-22 7:00 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Chrissy Wellington has a nice piece up about "brain training" over at CNN.com.  Seems a perfect bit of reading as training is getting into full swing and races are starting to roll round.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/21/health/chrissie-wellington-triathlete-champion/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

2012-02-23 6:02 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Thanks for the advice, Emily - I'm jazzed to run outside in the 70degree weather today!

That article on Chrissie was awesome. Although my husband read it and then when he was watching me plot out my 11 for tomorrow, he's like "is that hard?"

I said "plotting my run or actually running it"

Him - "well, running it - remember that article said that training is supposed to be hard."

Yeah, like I run 11 miles with great ease at this point. Oh well, I guess at least he's trying to understand. (He's a weight-lifting type of guy...)
2012-02-23 8:04 AM
in reply to: #4061826

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Wow this week has been nuts! I didn't realize how much of a groove I have been in the last couple weeks. After doing that great brick this weekend, I was so worried about Boot Camp that I haven't done anything except. I have to say that it was a hard hour Monday and Wednesday night and my muscles are screaming sore but it wasn't near what I have been doing previously. Changing from my routine that I developed has been rough and almost put me in a tailspin though. The hardest thing about BC is the "diet" I now have my BMR calculated by machine and was suggested to eat ~200 calories over BMR to maintain/lose a couple, that's not too tough. The hardest part is to get the suggested 125-180g/day protein, and I have been trying to get as much as possible around the workout window to lessen the muscle loss and soreness. I think it is working though, not near as sore as expected, but it is hard getting over 150g protein per day without going over the calorie count but it is high time I start eating like an athlete, here's to hoping it is free speed...

How's everyone else doing this week?
2012-02-23 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
I just got a text from DW, she wants to do a run tonight. I will never turn that down but am a little worried because from experience I have determined that when sore do not run, anything else but do not run because it just ends up tweaking some muscle that is trying to compensate for the sore one and then I have to even that one out, etc. I'm to the point I'm almost superstitious about this now. Am I being weird? Should I just try to do nice slow distance and I'll be ok, or should I say no?
2012-02-23 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4061518

New user
Woolwich, Maine

Thank you so much for sharing the article.  I admire Chrissy Wellington and I enjoy hearing what she has to say about the sport and how she trains. 

The weather here has been AMAZING!  The sun has come out and it is 40 I even saw some Canidian Geese flying in this morning.  It seems a little early for them but it is a sure sign of spring!  My family is even starting to collect sap from the trees for maple syrup.  Ahhh I love spring

I can't wait to go for a run after work.I plan on running 4 miles today, 5 if I have enough daylight. 

Happy training! 

2012-02-23 4:38 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Hi Goonies,

Sorry I've been AWOL for the last week.  First off, my Air Force son decided to come home completely unannounced, so that caused me to 'adjust' my life schedule a bit.  Then I got a stinking cold that wrecked me for a few days.  I have been getting in SOME workouts, but no too much that is a consecutive day-type thing.  But son is leaving tomorrow (SKYPE, text and FaceBook really makes the seperation less painful), feeling much better and got a kid-free, hassle free weekend planned.

2012-02-23 6:25 PM

User image

Regular
NWA

Hello everyone...

It's been catching up on the posts today...lots of interesting stuff happening to everyone...some good, some not so good and you all still manage to step it up and keep on training...even if its not perfect training.  Keeps me very accountable and i thank you.

So, I finally saw a doc today...team doc for the Razorback football team.  Obviously, I was pretty sure I had PF...and he agrees, but he's a little concerned about the pain I'm having in my shin...he's worried there is a stress fracture...which I think is what led to the PF.  Had an X-ray...waiting to hear back.  If its a stress fracture, I'm probably going to have to give up running for a bit...so I suppose I'll be a really good swimmer and a bike rider in 8-12 weeks - with only swimming and biking.  I have to say...at first I wanted to cry, like tears welled up in my eyes.  I took a hiatus from being active for about 5 years - and now, after three months of sticking to training and being so excited...I'm finding out I can't run.  I hope I get good news tomorrow, otherwise I will be heading to the neighbors to borrow his heavy bag...I have wraps and gloves and I'm going over there to take out some of my anger if its a stress fracture.  PF, I can just keep doing the stretches and icing and dealing with the pain...but the stress fracture - I know that will never heal unless I stay completely off it.  Keep your fingers crossed folks.

So, tonight I'm going to hit the pool at 10:30pm...its the only time on T & Th that they have the long course swim...which is much more challenging for me and from what I understand, better for training.  We'll see if this is something I'd be willing to do every Thursday...

Have a great Friday everyone!!  Keep on kickin!

T.

2012-02-23 6:42 PM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Lost Goonie Reporting in..

Well I just back home and completely fell of the wagon the last couple days in SLC.  I had the best intentions, but my schedule was hectic and I just went with the flow.  Well, I'm happy to report the big wigs cancelled their trip and this allowed me to come home a day early.  At this point, I have zero plans to travel until April.  If nothing pops up until then, I will have a good five uninterrupted weeks of training and nutrition - YAY!! 

I'm planning on jumping on the spin bike for a light 1 hour ride tonight and then hit the gym in the morning. 

2012-02-23 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4061826

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

enders_shadow - 2012-02-23 7:02 AM Thanks for the advice, Emily - I'm jazzed to run outside in the 70degree weather today! That article on Chrissie was awesome. Although my husband read it and then when he was watching me plot out my 11 for tomorrow, he's like "is that hard?" I said "plotting my run or actually running it" Him - "well, running it - remember that article said that training is supposed to be hard." Yeah, like I run 11 miles with great ease at this point. Oh well, I guess at least he's trying to understand. (He's a weight-lifting type of guy...)

Heh.  Sometimes boys are so not helpful.  Next time you should ask him if he wants to keep you company on your long run.  Then he can decide for himself if it's hard or not!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  

of 23