BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 80

2012-05-23 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4225823

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod
bcraht - 2012-05-23 4:20 PM

Ok, being a vet tech, I had to look up whether or not manatees vomit.  I didn't find the answer, but I did find these little newsy nuggets:
  1. Amount of Food

• Scientists have estimated an adult manatee eats approximately 10 percent to 15 percent of its body weight in food daily. That means the average adult manatee consumes 100 to 150 pounds of food per day.

Conserve Heat

• Scientists believe that the manatee's large size and metabolic rate requires it to eat a lot of plants to conserve heat. It needs a large amount of food to help keep it warm in the cool winter waters.

Digestion Energy

• Since manatees spend so much time eating, they need to consume large amounts of food to replace energy spent on digestion. Their food intake helps fuel their continuous-eating regimens.

Wow, that is some chow. 10% - 15%! That is downright impressive.

Have I mentioned how hungry I am today??? We have an evening at the local minor league ball park scheduled, so there may be some junk food in my immediate future.

2012-05-23 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4225827

User image

Coastal Carolina
ukweeble - 2012-05-23 4:21 PM
rrrunner - 2012-05-23 9:13 PM

Grits are definitely one of those foods that have to be made correctly.  I spent 6 months in the south and learned that if made correctly they are wonderful! My step-father (from the south) says they taste like whatever you put on them and if you don't put anything on them they taste like fork.

As for the challenge, I'm not sure I could eat one DDe (let alone two) and highly unlikely to complete a race without puking after eating one (or two). But what's a little regurgitation among POD-mates.

Firstly, whats the point of a food that doesn't taste of anything?

Secondly, i think the run section should have it's finish line back at the KFC so the actual end of the race can be on completion of the fourth DD. If we are going to do this, we may as well do it right.

On the first- so that you can add cheese and bacon and make them even better!  They do have a flavor all their own but it is very subtle, salty corn kind of.

On the second- Agreed

2012-05-23 3:31 PM
in reply to: #4225846

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Tripopo - 2012-05-23 4:27 PM

Asalzwed - 2012-05-23 3:31 PM

Oooh so you are in SC, Kirk? I don't think I knew that. I did a road trip from Charlotte to Atlanta one time when my sis was stationed in NC. All I remember about SC was a place, I think it was called South of the Border? What trip!

Ah yes with the neon sombrarro and billboards that start about 100 miles out, the always classic tourist trap:

http://www.thesouthoftheborder.com/

As for grits it is all in how you make them, fresh not instant and with milk and butter not water.  I used to hate them until I went to a restaurant that made them correctly now one of my favorite dishes.  As for boiled peanuts, it is an aquired taste I will give you that but you get the right kind of cajun or ham flavored ones, with the ham bone in the pot while they are cooking, on a hot day after being out doing yard work and they are fantastic.

Fill your trunk with Pedro's junk!

Classic southern treat from year's back - Coke and Goober Peas. B/C Pepsi is just wrong.
2012-05-23 3:42 PM
in reply to: #4225844

User image

England
bcraht - 2012-05-23 9:27 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-05-23 1:24 PM
bcraht - 2012-05-23 3:20 PM Ok, being a vet tech, I had to look up whether or not manatees vomit.  I didn't find the answer, but I did find these little newsy nuggets:
  1. Amount of Food

• Scientists have estimated an adult manatee eats approximately 10 percent to 15 percent of its body weight in food daily. That means the average adult manatee consumes 100 to 150 pounds of food per day.

Conserve Heat

• Scientists believe that the manatee's large size and metabolic rate requires it to eat a lot of plants to conserve heat. It needs a large amount of food to help keep it warm in the cool winter waters.

Digestion Energy

• Since manatees spend so much time eating, they need to consume large amounts of food to replace energy spent on digestion. Their food intake helps fuel their continuous-eating regimens.

Holy sh*t! Ahhh ah ahahahaha! This pretty much gives us a premise for our little double down challenge

D'ya think Yanti knew all this when she decided to call mentorees manatees, or is that just a lucky co-inkeedink?

Yanti, lucky? them two words aren't ever in the same sentence

2012-05-23 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4225750

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Asalzwed - 2012-05-23 2:53 PM
melbo55 - 2012-05-23 2:38 PM
cdban66 - 2012-05-23 3:13 PM
KansasMom - 2012-05-23 2:30 PM

My land. This is the wind out there right now:

'33mph, gusting to 46 mph Strong winds may be causing power outages."

The sky is beginning to brown out, from the dust being blown around. Amazing. I was hoping for another windy ride this afternoon, but I may have to bag it if the wind doesn't die down some soon.

Between this post and your avatar, I have a picture of Wizard of Oz in my head.

Ditto!!  You could always go for your run with ski goggles, Felicia!   Oh, and an air purifying unit.  Practice for the nuclear zombie apocalypse. << is that spelled right?  Looks wrong.

Yes, yes. Do this and take pictures, please

Sure. With my head lamp. What a sight that would be!

My 16 year old is forever quizzing me on what to do during the zombie apocalypse. How best to "kill" the undead is a topic at dinner more often that I'd like it to be. Frown

2012-05-23 4:38 PM
in reply to: #4212573

User image

Melon Presser

I just spent the last two hours trying to get (wheedle, bribe, blackmail, write large signs, cajole, yell, and finally outright beg) my mom back in bed. It's now 4:30am.

I should have just given her a light sedative. But I'd feel really bad about that.

On the other hand, her helper and I are totally worn out, we can't spend half the night running around after her while she decides to, I don't know, COOK something in the kitchen (she was trying to carry dishes around and take stuff out of the fridge), and at this point she should NOT be running around.

I feel really badly for her because she's so confused (I think I've mentioned she's deaf, has some hearing with these whizzbang new hearing aids and has Alzheimer's) and she doesn't understand why, in her perception, I'm being so mean to her and refusing to tell her what's going on. (I have. About a hundred times. No exaggeration). On the other hand, she's not going to remember any of this.

I need to keep that in mind ... regardless of what I do, she's not going to remember any of this, and really, she shouldn't be tearing around. So I can't decide wrong.

Oy vey. I don't think I can go to sleep now so I'm just going to stay up for the American Idol finale live.

2012-05-23 4:45 PM
in reply to: #4226026

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-05-23 4:38 PM

I just spent the last two hours trying to get (wheedle, bribe, blackmail, write large signs, cajole, yell, and finally outright beg) my mom back in bed. It's now 4:30am.

I should have just given her a light sedative. But I'd feel really bad about that.

On the other hand, her helper and I are totally worn out, we can't spend half the night running around after her while she decides to, I don't know, COOK something in the kitchen (she was trying to carry dishes around and take stuff out of the fridge), and at this point she should NOT be running around.

I feel really badly for her because she's so confused (I think I've mentioned she's deaf, has some hearing with these whizzbang new hearing aids and has Alzheimer's) and she doesn't understand why, in her perception, I'm being so mean to her and refusing to tell her what's going on. (I have. About a hundred times. No exaggeration). On the other hand, she's not going to remember any of this.

I need to keep that in mind ... regardless of what I do, she's not going to remember any of this, and really, she shouldn't be tearing around. So I can't decide wrong.

Oy vey. I don't think I can go to sleep now so I'm just going to stay up for the American Idol finale live.

Dude, she's just keeping you on your toes. No relaxing for you!

Oh and eff Phil Phillips one Dave Mathews is enough, thank you. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2012-05-23 4:47 PM
2012-05-23 4:54 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Holy Crap!  My email said I had 107 new messages, but I didn't believe it (you know how computers lie) until i checked the forum - you guys were certainly on a roll. 

I must add that grits are yucky, I think I would die if I ate a double down; but am game for any challenge, when i first read "double down" my mind went some place completely different from KFC, i will be using the term "slapper" as often as possible, and dofers have their place.

Carry on.

2012-05-23 4:54 PM
in reply to: #4226039

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2012-05-24 4:45 AM

That is exactly what I thought and I don't even like Dave Matthews that much. Like, yes. That much, no.

He's going to do well whether he wins or not, though. And I do think he deserves to do well, as he's very talented and hardworking and blah, blah, blah. I don't think he deserves to NOT win ... he just doesn't deserve to win as much as Jessica does ... because ...

Jessica can actually sing

2012-05-23 4:58 PM
in reply to: #4226046

User image

Seattle
amd723 - 2012-05-23 4:54 PM

Holy Crap!  My email said I had 107 new messages, but I didn't believe it (you know how computers lie) until i checked the forum - you guys were certainly on a roll. 

I must add that grits are yucky, I think I would die if I ate a double down; but am game for any challenge, when i first read "double down" my mind went some place completely different from KFC, i will be using the term "slapper" as often as possible, and dofers have their place.

Carry on.

Ah shoot, good thing I don't have e-mail notification! 

In this pod, I think you can think of "double down" any way you would like. Wink

2012-05-23 5:01 PM
in reply to: #4226047

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-05-23 4:54 PM

That is exactly what I thought and I don't even like Dave Matthews that much. Like, yes. That much, no.

He's going to do well whether he wins or not, though. And I do think he deserves to do well, as he's very talented and hardworking and blah, blah, blah. I don't think he deserves to NOT win ... he just doesn't deserve to win as much as Jessica does ... because ...

Agreed. 

I actually did shots of coffee creamer with Dave one time, I know, weird.

Both of them will do well. I think Jessica has that Beyonce-swag going for her, too. 

2012-05-23 5:04 PM
in reply to: #4226062

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2012-05-24 5:01 AM

Agreed. 

Both of them will do well. I think Jessica has that Beyonce-swag going for her, too. 

Coming from you, not at all. But I would like details on this normalcy from you.

2012-05-23 5:09 PM
in reply to: #4226067

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-05-23 5:04 PM

Agreed. 

Coming from you, not at all. But I would like details on this normalcy from you.

Well, my cousin was a rep for red bull at the time and they were doing a promo with sky vodka for a special backstage party for Dave and his friend and family. I was invited to tag along.

The problem was, there was NO FOOD back there and we weren't able to leave. It was vodka, coffee, red bull and that is IT. I was starving so I resorted to drinking the little cups of creamer (although I must admit, I do this under regular circumstances)

Dave walked in right when I was drinking one and I felt like a total idiot. He could tell I was embarrassed and grabbed one too then we did a little cheers and drank them. 

2012-05-23 5:14 PM
in reply to: #4226075

User image

Master
Orlando
Asalzwed - 2012-05-23 5:09 PM

Agreed. 

Well, my cousin was a rep for red bull at the time and they were doing a promo with sky vodka for a special backstage party for Dave and his friend and family. I was invited to tag along.

The problem was, there was NO FOOD back there and we weren't able to leave. It was vodka, coffee, red bull and that is IT. I was starving so I resorted to drinking the little cups of creamer (although I must admit, I do this under regular circumstances)

Dave walked in right when I was drinking one and I felt like a total idiot. He could tell I was embarrassed and grabbed one too then we did a little cheers and drank them. 

I don't know anything about AI, but anyone who'd do shots of creamer with you should get some consideration. I am surprised you chose the creamer over the vodka.
2012-05-23 5:21 PM
in reply to: #4226086

User image

Seattle
amd723 - 2012-05-23 5:14 PM

Agreed. 

I don't know anything about AI, but anyone who'd do shots of creamer with you should get some consideration. I am surprised you chose the creamer over the vodka.

1. I am talking about Dave Mathews, not AI. There is just a guy on AI that sounds A LOT like Dave. 

2. You would be a fool to think I wasn't also capitalizing on that vodka Wink

2012-05-23 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4226092

User image

Master
Orlando
Asalzwed - 2012-05-23 5:21 PM
amd723 - 2012-05-23 5:14 PM

Agreed. 

1. I am talking about Dave Mathews, not AI. There is just a guy on AI that sounds A LOT like Dave. 

2. You would be a fool to think I wasn't also capitalizing on that vodka Wink

Oh, then nevermind

2012-05-23 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4226039

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Asalzwed - 2012-05-23 2:45 PM 

YES!!! Thank you! Clint and I have been saying that from day one---helloooooo one trick pony! He annoys me a bit, can you tell?

2012-05-24 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Good day everyone, I hope today has found you well rested and ready to go. I have a full weekend planned, and it actually starts this afternoon. Biking on 3 of the next 4 days. That should get me to my goal of 250 miles this month. Yeah! I also have a trip to Orlando for wedding planning with the youngest daughter. Saturday is taste testing cupcakes and choosing flowers. I'll be bringing along a book, so as I don't fall asleep in the van. And that should get my second goal closer to completion. It looks like I should be close on the May challenge, but my idea was to push a bit, so mission accomplished. I have another new project at work, which is actually interesting and should help keep some focus, which, judging from yesterday's posts, has been missing a bit

The flower of life blooms beautifully when watered with love.

2012-05-24 9:32 AM
in reply to: #4225582

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Asalzwed - 2012-05-23 2:48 PM

If the occasion ever occurs where some of us manatees can get together I propose a Double Down challenge. 

A double down followed by a swim, followed by a double down, followed by a run

I propose that we meet in the Raleigh area.  We can choose between the Krispy Kreme Challenge and the Doughman, a quadrathalon (eat, bike, run, swim <- as seen on Man v Food)

2012-05-24 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4225653

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Tripopo - 2012-05-23 3:18 PM
ukweeble - 2012-05-23 2:56 PM
cdban66 - 2012-05-23 7:54 PM
ukweeble - 2012-05-23 2:51 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-05-23 7:48 PM

If the occasion ever occurs where some of us manatees can get together I propose a Double Down challenge. 

A double down followed by a swim, followed by a double down, followed by a run

I likey.

A challenge I can win! Or at least a podium finish. I believe it is in Charleston that they have a race that is two miles in length, with a stop for a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts in the middle.

Now that's a race.

Charlotte not Charleston, had to check because I was going to be disapointed if it was near me and I hadn't done it...

Raleigh not Charlotte!

2012-05-24 9:36 AM
in reply to: #4225793

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
ukweeble - 2012-05-23 4:09 PM

Asalzwed - 2012-05-23 8:36 PM Listen Allen, that one didn't fly under my radar. I just chose not to acknowledge it, alright? No points for you! 

Man you're tough.

Thanks for the set up Yanti. It was irresistable. And you looked so innocent whilst you posed for the piccie.

Looks can be deceiving!

2012-05-24 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

G'day Manatees,

Swam a few thousand yards last night, kicks and 1 arm drills.  I found out my pace per 100 yards with one arm is around 2:12 or so (SCY with a lowsey flip turn).  Pretty satisfied with that.  Went to spin class Monday also so my first two workouts since the crash, whohooo.

Thank you so much for your inspires and kind thoughts, even though I'm not a "Chatty Cathy" here they mean a lot to me.

It's been 2.5 weeks since my fall and I'm still tender on my right side so I don't see running in my near future.  Should I see a sports medicine doc.?  Nothing shows up in X-ray so it's just tissue damage etc. right?

2012-05-24 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I'd be down with any race involving donuts.  I made them for a few years during college, by hand, rolling pin and all!
in reply to: #4226047

User image

Extreme Veteran
TriAya - 2012-05-23 5:54 PM

That's the problem with AI these days.  I stopped watching mid-last season b/c the people who got voted off were so good and the people left sucked.  It's because it's teeny bopper girls voting who like the boys (even though these poor young girls have not yet learned to identify an attractive man...then again, the guys I'm talking about are probably 12 years younger than me and barely adults, so maybe I should stop assessing their looks! lol!). THink about, when is the last time a girl won Idol? And there have definitely been some amazing female vocalists.  I have given this too much thought, I think I just killed some brain cells. D'oh!

in reply to: #4226923

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

cdban66 - 2012-05-24 10:15 AM Good day everyone, I hope today has found you well rested and ready to go. I have a full weekend planned, and it actually starts this afternoon. Biking on 3 of the next 4 days. That should get me to my goal of 250 miles this month. Yeah! I also have a trip to Orlando for wedding planning with the youngest daughter. Saturday is taste testing cupcakes and choosing flowers.

Taste testing cupcakes sounds like a true Manatee activity!

Oh, and the bike riding too.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  

of 80