General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-02-20 10:52 PM
in reply to: #4630862

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
spie34 - 2013-02-20 5:26 PM

I think to some degree it will mess with the faster swimmers but I do think that things will be spread out more so than people will think. 

I've not done a mass start before and during the wave starts I have always been one of the later waves to start and even though I am not a fast swimmer, I have caught slower swimmers from earlier waves and been able to navigate through them without problem. 

In the end I do think they are trying to figure out the best way to prevent the chaos and injuries that do occur with the mass start. They can always go back to the mass start should the logistics not work out for this. 

Another thought would be to make it just 1 2.4 mile loop. Wonder if they are thinking about doing that this year? And I thought 1.2 mile loop with the bouys way out there was daunting lol.

My question is why do they not have a 2.4 mile loop for CDA? That lake is plenty big to do that. Is it because of the water temp and the logistics of trying to have enough support crew out there monitoring the whole 2.4 mile loop?

The reason they can't make it one loop is because of the depth and the currents.  They say when you put buoys out that far, they don't stay in place because the tether is so long at that depth and the currents move them around considerable distances because they are so close to the drain into the Spokane River.

2013-02-21 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4306803

User image

Hugo, MN

I can't say this is the worst news I could imagine about CDA. I remember the washing machine pretty well and while I know I'd fare much better this year than before, I'm OK with this. Maybe it will make the swim a bit less harrowing. 

Bad news would be them cancelling the swim race day for some reason. That would indeed be horrible.

2013-02-21 7:15 PM

User image

Regular

I think they should make the swim course .6 mile loop . Let's see what that would do instead to have mass people always together.

I didn't think about the currents and depth portion of things but it does make sense there.

I do agree don't cancel the swim because I would then have to do another one to make up for it and since they are usually filled up it would mean training all again next year for one which my wife would not like lol. 

So that being said I wonder if the weather will change to be nice this weekend so I don't have to spend my Sunday ride in the garage on the trainer.

2013-02-22 6:31 AM
in reply to: #4631028

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

I don't think it takes away from the accomplishment at all. I just like knowing where I stand relative to the competition and this start doesn't allow it.

I would agree that is could be confusing for the top elite competitors.  It would make the most sense to send folks off by age group not just some random first 100 to the line.  That way everyone in your wave has the same start time. 

I hope everyone is having agreat week of training.  I had a great week of bike build with some random swims and runs in there. 

Also ordered my race kit.  That way I have time to get it printed and wear it a few times before the race.  I'm going to try the Desoto Riviera tri bib and a full zip top.  God help me if I get the bad stomach issues, but I really like the idea of the bib for that long ride. 

Lastly I opened my fundraising page for one of my favorite charities.  Check it out if you get bored.  http://www.stayclassy.org/events/ever-have-bucket-list/e23433

The point isn't just to raise money, but to raise awareness so check out the mAss Kickers web site on my fundraising page. 

Have a great weekend everyone.

Chris

2013-02-22 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4632753

User image

Regular

Now starting based upon age group would be nice overall as that is how the 70.3 I've done start their waves. To me that does make a little bit more sense but then again what are the biggest age groups? 35-39M 40-44M?  Yeah too lazy to look myself. 

I really need some ideas for my race kit. Suggestions for a limited budget? I was happy with what I wore for my 70.3s which is my picture here. I wore it throughout the whole race. I would say that I did get a little bit of rubbing from the band around the waist in my second one but now that I know that I put body glide or vasoline there.

I've never biked in anything but tri shorts so I don't know what it is like to bike with biking shorts on. Is it worth it if I haven't needed it so far?

2013-02-22 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4632955

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO

For a race kit I was thinking of wearing my IMTX top and shorts.  Do you a previous IM or 1/2 IM kit?

At IMTX last year I wore a 70.3 Texas kit. (as seen in my profile picture)

You could always buy a IMCDA kit before the race and use that :-)

Edited by bradaskins 2013-02-22 9:02 AM

2013-02-22 9:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

I've tried a bunch of stuff, but I really like the Desoto stuff.  It's expensive that is the problem. 

I don't like bike shorts.  The pads are way too big.  I even tried a 400 mile bike shorts from Desoto and the pad is just too big for me to deal with.  I'll sell them real cheap if anyone wants a large pair barely used. 

The kit you have on in the picture looks fine.  I plan to try and wear essentially the same thing I wore for my 70.3.  I'm just moving towards the bib to give it a try, but same design same pad size and what not.  Kits are soo personal.  Whatever you decide if it is new you will want to buy it in plenty of time to break it in. 

2013-02-22 11:42 AM

User image

Chicago

Seems like there are a few midwesterns/great lakes folks on this thread. In the event that any of you are looking for a HIM to do prior to IMCDA I just registered for the Little Smokies half (Portsmouth, OH). It's exactly 4 weeks out from IMCDA. About a 7 hour drive from Chicago for me but I'm looking forward to it.

Spots seem to be extremely limited at this point but thought I'd pass it along (registration is $95 up to 2/29) ?. For whatever reason I cant copy a url here but if you search "American Triple T" you'll get to it, then select "little smokies".

It's part of the "Triple T" which is an option to do a sprint fri night, then oly sat AM, then oly sat PM, THEN a HIM Sunday morning.

I'll be doing just Sunday morning

2013-02-23 12:40 PM

Thanks for all the updates on the wave/flow start issue.  I had major mixed feelings when I read there might not be a wave start.  I wanted to experience it (to be able to say I did it) but am terrified of it at the same time.

I think I'm on the trainer/drainer for 3 hours today...wish me luck!  The skies have been kind to me for the last 3 weeks but I don't think they are going to let me ride outside today  

2013-02-23 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4628327

Skipjack_50 - 2013-02-19 8:55 AM Out of curiousity is anyone else training under a "vegan" diet? I hate the title but thats essentially what I've been for the past 1/2 year or so, no meat/dairy.

I would say I'm pretty much doing a vegan approach, but not strictly (i.e., I'm listening to my body and if it says I need meat, then...).  So far, I feel good.  No fatigue or feeling like my body is missing anything.  I like the Vega/VegaSport products and recipes.  How's it going for you?

2013-02-23 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4634283

User image

Spokane
amianironman - 2013-02-23 10:40 AM

Thanks for all the updates on the wave/flow start issue.  I had major mixed feelings when I read there might not be a wave start.  I wanted to experience it (to be able to say I did it) but am terrified of it at the same time.

I think I'm on the trainer/drainer for 3 hours today...wish me luck!  The skies have been kind to me for the last 3 weeks but I don't think they are going to let me ride outside today  

Yeah i had a 3:10 bike today followed by 50 min run.. Im feeling it lol.

2013-02-24 3:06 PM
in reply to: #4633277

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Skipjack_50 - 2013-02-22 11:42 AM

Seems like there are a few midwesterns/great lakes folks on this thread. In the event that any of you are looking for a HIM to do prior to IMCDA I just registered for the Little Smokies half (Portsmouth, OH). It's exactly 4 weeks out from IMCDA. About a 7 hour drive from Chicago for me but I'm looking forward to it.

Spots seem to be extremely limited at this point but thought I'd pass it along (registration is $95 up to 2/29) ?. For whatever reason I cant copy a url here but if you search "American Triple T" you'll get to it, then select "little smokies".

It's part of the "Triple T" which is an option to do a sprint fri night, then oly sat AM, then oly sat PM, THEN a HIM Sunday morning.

I'll be doing just Sunday morning

Brian, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you are sacrificing a lot of training for a HIM 4 weeks to IM. 7 hours drive before and after the race plus a day for a HIM is a lot of lost time when 4 weeks out from IM should be a HUGE volume week just before taper. Plus you could lose a few days for recovery afterwards if you push the HIM a little hard.
2013-02-24 4:53 PM
in reply to: #4632970

User image

Regular
bradaskins - 2013-02-22 7:01 AM

For a race kit I was thinking of wearing my IMTX top and shorts.  Do you a previous IM or 1/2 IM kit?

At IMTX last year I wore a 70.3 Texas kit. (as seen in my profile picture)

yeah what I am wearing is my 70.3 race kit. It seems to work pretty well for the race but just wondering there is something out there better. I didn't overheat at all either even with the darker colors plus I have arm warmers that work great on the bike and don't tend to get me over heated as it heats up either.  

I don't think I'd buy a IMCDA kit than use it in a race as I would have no idea how it would work out for me.

2013-02-24 4:56 PM
in reply to: #4634505

User image

Regular
dkahns51 - 2013-02-23 4:05 PM

I'm not looking forward to this at all today as I am setting up my app I use on my phone for all the times for ILT, VG, etc.  

I am really not looking forward the the 2 hour run this next sunday either. How did it go for you?

2013-02-24 5:36 PM
in reply to: #4635092

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO

Sorry I should have made my text red in my comment. I was trying to be funny. However I did read the Andy Potts tries something new in every race....rule breaker :-)

I wouldn't buy an IMCDA kit and race in it either. I think I'm going to race nude with a MP3 player and see if anyone notices.

Today was a rest day but I've had to shovel the drive three times trying to keep up with the snow in Denver, great cross day, core is strong my friends.

2013-02-24 7:12 PM
in reply to: #4635096

User image

Spokane
spie34 - 2013-02-24 2:56 PM
dkahns51 - 2013-02-23 4:05 PM

I'm not looking forward to this at all today as I am setting up my app I use on my phone for all the times for ILT, VG, etc.  

I am really not looking forward the the 2 hour run this next sunday either. How did it go for you?

Well my foot is still all Eff'd so i got a hour on the treadmill at a slow pace, then i aqua jogged the other hour.

Edited by dkahns51 2013-02-24 7:13 PM

2013-02-25 7:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

I did two hours on the trails here in Michigan sunday.  20 degrees.  Got 13.5 miles out of it, but my watch fd up and said I was running 6 minute pace.  for one mile in the middle.  I sure hope it doesn't do that in the race.

Swam 3200 this morning.  I was kinda slow since the workout had backstroke in it.  Man I hate backstroke. 

Good luck this week everyone.  Stay safe and enjoy the weather.  I think we get 5 inches Tuesday night into wed.  Doesn't look like I'll be outside biking anytime in the near future. 

Chris

2013-02-25 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4634285

User image

Chicago
amianironman - 2013-02-23 12:42 PM

Skipjack_50 - 2013-02-19 8:55 AM Out of curiousity is anyone else training under a "vegan" diet? I hate the title but thats essentially what I've been for the past 1/2 year or so, no meat/dairy.

I would say I'm pretty much doing a vegan approach, but not strictly (i.e., I'm listening to my body and if it says I need meat, then...).  So far, I feel good.  No fatigue or feeling like my body is missing anything.  I like the Vega/VegaSport products and recipes.  How's it going for you?

I've actually been enjoying it a ton, just a half year in but I've easily dropped 25lbs or so (to be fair I'm also training but I believe diet has been HUGE in this). So yeah, no clydsdale division for me I suppose. Primary reason was not to drop weight but to just get healthy and feel better, so the weight thing is a nice side effect.

Made the decision to do this due to a few things happening at the time: realized I had to get my in gear for IMCDA, was just starting to feed our son solid foods so was researching nutrition a ton, and read both Rich Roll and Scott Jureks books around this time. Painted a clear picture for myself to give it a shot.

Same deal for me, in regards to listening to my body. For example had a few turkey meatballs a few weeks back .

I like the vega stuff as well. In fact today I'm trying the recovery powder after the pool to see how I feel.

I'm a curious guy so what moved you towards more of a plant based diet? If this is too annoying to the other folks on the board feel free to shoot me a note at [email protected] (yeah..you're reading that right...)

2013-02-25 10:07 AM
in reply to: #4635019

User image

Chicago

"Brian, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you are sacrificing a lot of training for a HIM 4 weeks to IM. 7 hours drive before and after the race plus a day for a HIM is a lot of lost time when 4 weeks out from IM should be a HUGE volume week just before taper. Plus you could lose a few days for recovery afterwards if you push the HIM a little hard."
-----"

Well..we'll see. This is my first full IM and this HIM falls into my plan at the tail end of a recovery week, the following 2 weeks are hard, followed by 2 weeks of taper. So in terms of sacrificing training time that will be minimal, and as long as I dont push too hard and lose days afterwards I feel I should be OK. Overall I want the race atmosphere/experience, additional open water swim time etc.

I've asked a number of folks about this approuch of a HIM 4 weeks out and the opinions vary widely, guess I'll just have to see how it treats me to get my own opinion on it. No disrepect but I sincerely hope your wrong here .

Edited by Skipjack_50 2013-02-25 10:08 AM
2013-02-25 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4635133

User image

Veteran
Denver area
bradaskins - 2013-02-24 5:36 PM

Sorry I should have made my text red in my comment. I was trying to be funny. However I did read the Andy Potts tries something new in every race....rule breaker :-)

I wouldn't buy an IMCDA kit and race in it either. I think I'm going to race nude with a MP3 player and see if anyone notices.

Today was a rest day but I've had to shovel the drive three times trying to keep up with the snow in Denver, great cross day, core is strong my friends.

Freaking snow.  I had to shovel 3x also... because my husband was doing something dumb which lead to him breaking his foot.  So I did a 2.5 hr trainer ride, a 35 min run (in the snow with yak trax) and shovelled every 4 hrs.  I really could have done without the shovelling, I'm beat.  Good thing today is my rest day.

2013-02-25 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver area

2013-02-25 2:49 PM
in reply to: #4636101

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
mountain_erin - 2013-02-25 9:58 AM

Its official - wave starts for the swim.  Lame sauce.

http://www.cdapress.com/news/local_news/article_5eff2ba2-2989-548c-ac1c-2ae6cda6a864.html

Agreed, lame sauce.

2013-02-25 3:13 PM
in reply to: #4636521

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO

I have mixed emotions about this...

For one my swim may be faster now that I won't have to fight for the first 500-1000 yards to get into my rhythm. Kind of like the first mile of a marathon were you have no where to run and  can not run your pace.

On the other hand it's like a badge honor to say "yeah, I've done that". Fortunately I can say I survive the washing machine in an Ironman (IMTX 2012)

But honestly not doing a mass start doesn't take away from the awesome accomplishment you are training for and for completing an Ironman. Anyone who under takes the training schedule and finishes an IM is a rock star to me. Train hard! Control the things you can control the rest will take care of itself.

2013-02-25 7:10 PM

New user
Bonney Lake

This will be my third year at CDA. First year I was standing where I thought I was towards the back and was crushed in the swim. Second year I learned and stood back by the wall and walked forward as the crowd went. I like the mass start it is part of the sport. This is like moving the kickoff in football up. It eliminates some safety concerns but not all within the swim and takes away form the sport a bit.

I see more of an issue on the bike course, down hill no passing zone, ride your bike up hill against traffic with only a street cone and a prayer between you and a logging truck. It is part of the race and that's why we do it. I liked the article and agree with the lowering of the amount of athletes who can enter. I understand the business aspect and that about 20% of those who sign up will not show up so over sell and see what happens.

I like the event for what it is. I will keep doing them but am bummed it wont be the mass start. Just wish they would look at other safety areas of the whole course.

Happy training all. Remember the Honey Badger doesn't care.... mass start or not get your in the water and swim.

2013-02-26 8:27 AM

Hi all.  Hey, I was wondering if someone who did last years race could give me answers to a few questions as I decide on wheels, etc for the race:
1. there is hilly bikes and then there are "HILLY" bikes.  Is it:  a lot of rollers one takes at 18 mph?  IS it a lot more severe with hills (out of saddle 10 mph)?  Are you on your  bars most of the time or so much hills cant?

2.  Someone said the swim was like 54 degrees.  I swam Canada Worlds in 09 I think it was.  52 degrees and they ended up canceling the swim for lack of life boats.  Did they let you wear some kind of "booty" on feet for warmth?

3. they said you had one big hill on run.  1/4 mile long...1/2 mile long?  Just how steep was it and how many times did you have to do it?

thanks all......Charlie
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57