BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-01-09 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4569723

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED
d3term1ned - 2013-01-09 10:23 AM

Good Morning Team, 

I got a two hour bike ride scheduled for tonight. Its raining pretty bad out here in Dallas since yesterday and is supposed to rain all day today. It looks like it will be a two hour trainer ride tonight ... it will be my longest ride on the trainer yet. 

There is a cycling club that rides near my house and there are a few very competitive cyclist in that club. On Monday afternoon at 4 pm one of the cyclists was hit by a 19 year old in a SUV and was declared brain dead yesterday morning. The cyclist was 64 years old and has been riding all his life. Its very sad and very frightening to know that someone got killed not even 5 minutes away from my house on a street that I ride on every Saturday. Also knowing that it happened at 4 pm while its still daylight is very upsetting. How can a driver not see the cyclist on the road going the same direction. I just hope for that girl that she wasn't texting .....! 

I hope so as well, but there's a good chance she was, alas.  So sorry to hear about this, and so close to home.

2013-01-09 12:29 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS

"There is a cycling club that rides near my house and there are a few very competitive cyclist in that club. On Monday afternoon at 4 pm one of the cyclists was hit by a 19 year old in a SUV and was declared brain dead yesterday morning. The cyclist was 64 years old and has been riding all his life. Its very sad and very frightening to know that someone got killed not even 5 minutes away from my house on a street that I ride on every Saturday. Also knowing that it happened at 4 pm while its still daylight is very upsetting. How can a driver not see the cyclist on the road going the same direction. I just hope for that girl that she wasn't texting .....! "

Sorry to hear this tale. I lost a friend who was a mother of two and a competitive triathlete a number of years ago. The boy who hit her was going to school and pulled right out in front of her. My wife, to this day, worries every time I ride. I wear the most obnoxious colors I can find, cover the bike and myself with reflective material, and I'm lit up like a Christmas tree if it's close to dawn or dusk. You just have to do what you can to be safe and keep on livining.

2013-01-09 2:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Hey all,

It really struck home hearing about the cyclist being injured.

I lost a close friend, and fellow IMFL training partner leading into IMFl this past year. 

He was on his long bike ride, and was struck by a driver heading in the same direction. She said she was unable to see him since the sun was in her eyes (it was early AM when this occured), and she was deemed not at fault (which is still under quite a bit of controversy). 

My girlfriend and family always worry about me, but it was an all-time high afterwards. We take a chance every time we go out...make sure you ride smart, and as 'safe' as possible. <stepping off soap box>

In other news, had a pretty good week of training. Had a good hour spin session last night. I really need to get out and ride my bike, but it is so hard running 5x a week with MPW creeping into the 70's. After February 9th, I am on a bike/swm focus and minimal run. Anyway, did some bridge/hill repeats this morning before work. Wow, my legs were cooked after an hour (about 4.5 miles, and 8 bridge crossings). I can definitely feel my efficiency improving. 

Since I will be quickly transitioning into speed focus (for my run) leading into a HIM in March (about 5-6 weeks of transition time after my 100k) was wondering if anyone had a good speed workout or two to share since that will be my primary focus for my run approach.

2013-01-09 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
d3term1ned - 2013-01-09 10:23 AM

Good Morning Team, 

I got a two hour bike ride scheduled for tonight. Its raining pretty bad out here in Dallas since yesterday and is supposed to rain all day today. It looks like it will be a two hour trainer ride tonight ... it will be my longest ride on the trainer yet. 

There is a cycling club that rides near my house and there are a few very competitive cyclist in that club. On Monday afternoon at 4 pm one of the cyclists was hit by a 19 year old in a SUV and was declared brain dead yesterday morning. The cyclist was 64 years old and has been riding all his life. Its very sad and very frightening to know that someone got killed not even 5 minutes away from my house on a street that I ride on every Saturday. Also knowing that it happened at 4 pm while its still daylight is very upsetting. How can a driver not see the cyclist on the road going the same direction. I just hope for that girl that she wasn't texting .....! 

Michael - Welcome back to the group ... glad to see that you might be able to get into a good routine. 

That sucks. I like to be outdoors but it really does make me nervous in places and there's a lot of roads I avoid due to heavy traffic. I really wish bicycle/pedestrian safety was more of a priority.

2013-01-09 3:50 PM

User image

Expert

That's just awful news about the bike rider. 

Michael - so awesome having you back with us.  We missed you!!!

I am sitting at the hospital done with rounds, now working on some research projects while waiting for yet another meeting that goes until 9 pm.  I have high hopes of still getiing in a run after all of this but will have to see how I feel.

I'm really enjoying my swim focus.  Seems the less I swim the more I dread it, and vice versa.  I actually want to go to the pool and swim

Well, back to the real world of work now. ......  Jim

2013-01-09 5:33 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
My wife is incredibly supportive of my tri habit but will not 'let me' ride the roads here in SE Michigan. Not enough shoulder. Too high of speeds. People not paying attention. At home I am probably 98% on the trainer which takes away some of the fun. It makes me really look forward to my summer trips to Northern MI where there is very little traffic and beautiful roads with mostly wide shoulders. Also a bunch of hills for my training pleasure.

When I was much younger I did several 500+ mile bike rides and never worried about getting hit by a car. Maybe the risk is no different but it sure feels different. I think cell phones have changed how people drive pretty dramatically. Anyways. It is always sad to hear about a cyclist getting run down.

2013-01-09 5:47 PM

User image

Master
d3term1ned - 2013-01-09 1:23 PM

I'm sorry to hear of that. Terrible thing to happen. Poor family. We've had two seasoned triathletes get hit while on rides recently. Both survived, but needed all kinds of medical work. They were lucky.

Michael: Nice to see you're doing alright!

All's moving here. Did some strength work last night since swim team was canceled, and got in a 4 mile run. Felt totally fatigued so made a fruit and coconut water smoothie with some honey when I got home. Also strained my neck on the pullup bar so took an ibuprofen and was in bed by 8:30pm.

Have a great evening!

Edited by Blanda 2013-01-09 5:49 PM
2013-01-09 5:59 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Tragic news about the cyclist getting hit! In general, people don't pay enough attention when driving. Texting and phone use only make that worse. Sad! I also do most of my riding in the relatively safe confines of my garage. I do get out once a week when the weather is nice to do longer rides. Even then most of my riding is on a 2 lane road where there is minimal traffic. Its not unusual for me to do 4-5 up and back rides of the 6 mile section to get the ride in. Not very interesting but safer than most of the roads around here.

Easy run done. Warm and humid here today with rain likely tomorrow.

2013-01-09 6:20 PM

User image

Master
Michael, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Please be careful riding up there. The DFW area isn't really cycling friendly from what I've experienced. It seems like cycling accidents are becoming very common.

We were involved in a cycling accident a few years ago out on a club ride. Two of my good friends were hit by a truck and killed during the accident. We were in a single pace line going around a corner. They were in riding positions 1 and 2. I was the 5th person in the line. All I remember about the accident is looking up and seeing the bed of a truck coming towards me and bikes and people flying in the air. The next thing that I remember is being off my bike and running to my friends who were in the grass and on the road. It was a horrible experience. The only comfort that I could find in the accident was knowing that is how the guys would have wanted to die if given the choice. It was a beautiful day to ride. They were leading the pace line and spending time with friends.

One of the main things we learned from the accident is to always carry ID with you. It is also important to know your training partners emergency contact numbers.

We have wonderful roads down here to ride on. 98% of my training is done indoors on the trainer. Most of my training is done early in the morning or after work when it is dark. It is more time efficient to ride on the trainer.
2013-01-10 4:56 AM

User image

Master
Good morning! Going to try to out run the rain this morning. Swim this afternoon. What is everyone else doing today?
2013-01-10 7:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Just got my morning swim done *phew* Does anyone else get nauseous after a long swim workout? I can't tell what's causing it: I'm just drinking 1/2 a smoothie before I get in the pool, and I don't think I'm rolling enough to get motion sickness (and I'm making sure my head isn't rotating). My only guess is it's just coming from tired stomach muscles, anyone else ever experience this?

It's terrifying to hear about all of these cyclists getting hit, and I feel for everyone involved. I didn't know it was so prevalent! I really prefer to ride outdoors as much as possible, the trainer is just so boring! I'll just try to be cautious, as much as I can...

2013-01-10 7:04 AM

User image

Master
I've never felt sick during a morning swim workout. But I also never eat or drink anything other than Diet Dr. Pepper before any morning workouts.

Edited by Catwoman 2013-01-10 7:05 AM
2013-01-10 7:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

My condolences to all, it really is heartbreaking to hear these stories of cyclists losing their lives in car collisions.

Jamie, depending on how hard you are going on your swims, I think it would be normal to get nauseous. That's just the nature of working out super hard. I'd get that way all the time after a really hard leg day in the weight room just due to effort. Are you doing lots of sprints? If you are going at a decently slower pace, then I'm not sure why. Possibly swallowing air and water when you go to breath? If the water is somewhat choppy, I find that sometimes I'll accidentally ingest pool water and air with it when I breath. That combination might make a person sick.

Finished my Z2 bike (trainer) and Z2 Brick run this morning. Looking forward to a relaxing rest of the day before Masters practice in the morning! Hope you all have a good one!

2013-01-10 7:35 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Today is my last day of being a single parent. My wife and son went to Florida for the week so I have been home with my 10 year old. Working and juggling her schedule has been interesting to say the least. I could not have done it without the help of my mother in law. It certainly added another layer of complexity to getting in the workouts. For the most part I flip-flopped my usual schedule. Typically I will get up and swim in the morning. I could not leave the house at 4:30 to go swimming so I have been trying to get in my runs and rides in the morning in the basement and then squeezing the swimming in after work. It has gone OK but I am beat. It has only increased my respect for those who single parent all of the time.

Blanda, I don't know how you do this when your husband is deployed.
2013-01-10 7:39 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Jamie,

Every once in awhile I will feel a little sick to my stomach while swimming. I just stop doing flip turns and it seems to go away. For me, I believe the upside down aspect of the flip turn occasionally messes with my inner ear..... Who knows.

I do also like the "really hard workout" theory. I have experienced some nausea occasionally when I have really pushed to the limit. If this is your problem then you are likely having some darn good swim training going on.
2013-01-10 8:52 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-I agree with what others have said regarding the swimming. When I first started swimming regularly I would get a little queasy in the water. I would break a non drowsy dramamine/motion sickness pill in half/thirds and take it. May have been more of a mental thing but it helped. I will still sometimes do that if conditions are not great for an OWS during a race.

More swimming at lunch and some pretty ugly looking intervals on the bike tonight.

For those of you relatively new to the bike trainer I would strongly encourage you to cover as much of your bike as possible with towels to keep the sweat off your bike. Even with strong fans you are still sweating onto the frame and particularly the headset. I've put duct tape on the top of my headset to keep sweat from getting into it. I wrap a small towel around the top tube and wrap a piece of velcro around it, also a small towel around the seat post and a towel across the aerobars/frontend. I also try to always wipe the frame down as well when I'm done.  When I bought them my rollers had a painted frame....now its bare medal on the frame other than a few places toward the back......I was not very good about wiping down the frame.   

2013-01-10 1:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
Jamie-You might also try earplugs. Sometimes if you get water in your ears it can cause dizziness and nausea. I never swim without mine.
2013-01-10 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4572273

User image

Master
South Alabama

nicoleg - 2013-01-10 1:06 PM Jamie-You might also try earplugs. Sometimes if you get water in your ears it can cause dizziness and nausea. I never swim without mine.

Yup, me too!

2013-01-10 5:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Thanks for the tips everyone. I haven't been going harder than last season, I never really do any sprints, but I am doing more total distance and time than ever before. I also always wear earplugs already; I've always had bad ears, and swimming with my head in and out of the water makes me dizzy no time flat. I guess for now, I'm just going to chalk it up to a combination of getting used to getting up really early again, and pushing distance. It's not miserable, and it goes away, it's just new.
2013-01-10 6:00 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

I managed a trainer ride today, so now I've got all three colors on my training chart!  I feel a bit like a triathlete again.

Agree with the others about nausea.  Flip turns don't affect me, but going hard and long does.

2013-01-10 6:09 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Hello peeps!

Hope you all worked hard today and rest well tonight.

Today I was in the pool and continued with the training plan in my new book.  I finished it faster than I wanted to so I just did some extra laps

Tomorrow I'm leaving for FT Lauderdale to visit my grandmother until Monday so not a lot of training going on but I'm sure I'll get in the pool a bit.

So behave while I'm gone!!

2013-01-10 6:46 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
I trained on the rollers today after putting the resistance tube in place. It is much closer to a real ride. In fact, I can't ride very long in the high gear now. I did an hour ride and now my legs feel like rubber. One day closer to race day ready!
2013-01-10 7:44 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Bike workout tonight=FAIL! 25 minute warm up build then 7X(3min 300-305watts/2min easy) followed by a cool down. Made is through the first 4-5 intervals but was really struggling to hit the numbers. Really fell off on the last two...just didn't have it! Sucks to fall apart like that....dissappointing...oh well more incentive to get it right next time.

Dave-good work on the rollers!

Randee-have a safe trip to Florida!

Don't we have some folks racing this weekend? If I recall Renee-HM; Dave-sprint and Blanda-sprint. Is that right? Anyone else have big plans for the weekend?  

2013-01-10 8:33 PM
in reply to: #4573088

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randy. I have been having that kind of failure on a lot of my bike intervals lately. I keep waiting for that bike breakthrough where I start to feel like I am good on the bike.

My wife and son are home. Never have I appreciated all she does as much as I did this week. I feel sorry for her because she now needs to catch up on all the things that she would normally do and I did not get done. We stopped and got some rudimentary groceries on the way home so we can eat breakfast tomorrow.
2013-01-11 1:37 AM

User image

Calgary, AB

This has been a tough week -- first week back at work, and it was really crazy -- was up until 2-3am a couple of nights trying to get ready for some client meetings.  Needless to say, sleeping in a bit won out over waking up early!!

Luckily it calmed down today so a short run tonight (30 min).    My left calf has been bothering me since my Monday run, so I kept the run quite slow.  Hoping it gets back to 100% soon -- I'm assuming lack of sleep has been an impediment to full healing.

Good news is -- weight loss still going well for January -- looking to get myself under 240 for the first time in years! -- only a few pounds to go.

Scott

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66