BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2013-03-10 11:47 AM
in reply to: #4543020

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed
Daylight Savings time is hitting me hard!  Jford sleepy!

2013-03-10 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4653601

User image

New user
Nadamson12 - 2013-03-10 9:42 AM

Getting geared up for my next indoor Tri today.  Nerves are getting to me because it is at my home gym, and it is put on by the Tri team here in town.  Wish my training would have been a little more on point for this one, but life happens. 

Here are my goal times for today:

500m Swim: 9:30         6 mile stationary bike: under 18min        2 mile run:   Under 21 min

should put me in all just under 50 min and closer to that 45 min end of indoor season goal.

Well not having my training on track showed today    

Swim 10:45        Bike 20:15   Run 22:15    Total time: 56:23   Still my second fasted for the indoor series but not where I wanted to be. 

That is my motivation now.  I got 60 days till my first outdoor sprint race.  Time to get focused and get my act together.

2013-03-10 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4653741

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia

Swim 10:45        Bike 20:15   Run 22:15    Total time: 56:23   Still my second fasted for the indoor series but not where I wanted to be. 

That is my motivation now.  I got 60 days till my first outdoor sprint race.  Time to get focused and get my act together.

It's still a respectable time.  You always have to view things as small leaps of progress. You still did great.  Sometimes those intermediate results help keep the motivation going.

I have an indoor triathlon today too.  I should be leaving in around an hour.  My goal of 1 hour total time is well within my reach considering I hit 1 hour exactly last race and I've been swimming like crazy.

I'll keep everyone updated!

2013-03-10 5:17 PM
in reply to: #4653741

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Nadamson12 - 2013-03-10 11:22 AM
Nadamson12 - 2013-03-10 9:42 AM

Getting geared up for my next indoor Tri today.  Nerves are getting to me because it is at my home gym, and it is put on by the Tri team here in town.  Wish my training would have been a little more on point for this one, but life happens. 

Here are my goal times for today:

500m Swim: 9:30         6 mile stationary bike: under 18min        2 mile run:   Under 21 min

should put me in all just under 50 min and closer to that 45 min end of indoor season goal.

Nice Job Noel!  Although not quite the numbers you wanted, you said it yourself...a respectable time and another great training day to better prepare you for the next one!  Keep up the training. 

Edited by EV3110 2013-03-10 5:17 PM
2013-03-10 5:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA

Hi!!  Got in the first race of the season!  whoohoo!!  Had a good race this morning.  I improved my time from last year by 9 minutes.  That made me a happy-camper.  BUT...my bike time was only 2 minutes faster than last year!  WTF!?!  Only 2 min?! Seriously?  I thought I was riding well and much faster than last year and definitely faster than when I train.  The couse was 'fast & flat' with one good steep hill.  I have almost no flats here so I seriously thought I was bookin' it!  Nope.  Only 2 min.  That'd be it. Sigh.   But I have to say that I felt really good during each of the runs and during the bike so I am really greatful for that.  Hope to get a race report up soon.        

2013-03-10 5:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Hi all,
I've been a bit quiet of late - both on the training and posting front.
Last week was meant to be my biggest week of training (base 3, week 3), but I ended up with not much at all. We've hardly had a non-raining day since mid January, which puts a real downer on training. It's not that it has been cold, but just miserable.

I was away for the weekend at a tropical getaway with my girlfriend for her birthday, and all I got was a 35min open water swim, which was acutally good to get some practice in with a little bit of swell and current.

My foot was a bit sore after my 2.5 hour run on Wednesday night (I self diagnosed and confirmed by my brother who is studying physiotherapy as tibialis anterior tendonopathy). A bit of ice and a few light exercises had me pain free after 2 days. Will hopefully run today and see how it is. Biking last week was 1 hour hard on the trainer - that was it terrible!

I am racing an Oly this weekend. My favourite race - surf swim normally not too much swell, mostly flat bike which can be windy, and an undulating run. Aiming for sub 2:30 which would be a PR, but based on recent training, 2:40 is looking more likely.

After that, I really have to get serious and focused, especially on the swim, because today (Monday) marks 13 weeks to go until race day. Holy crapamole! But saying that makes me remember that Brad's IM is closer than that!

Hope you are all going better than I have for the last few weeks.

2013-03-10 10:36 PM
in reply to: #4647681

User image

Denton, TX

kenb - 2013-03-05 4:27 PM Hey Todd, My A race is Vine Man full in July, This will be my second attempt at a full Iron distance , last time I was undertrained on the bike, and came in a half hour after the cut off for the run, so now I am trying to be smarter about my training, and at least as important is learning to be smart about my nutrition. Are you doing a 70.3 ? which one?

Hey Ken  - yeah I am training for a 70.3.  Was going to do Kansas, but did not know my daughter was graduating 48 hrs before.  Got my weekends mixed up.  Now that I figured that out, I have been scrambling this weekend to identify my new 70.3 venue.  Will go with a small, low key event.  Positives and negatives with less people/smaller event.  

Well how are you feeling about your training this year?  On track?

2013-03-11 8:46 AM
in reply to: #4653748

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Devilsdlg - 2013-03-10 1:30 PM

It's still a respectable time.  You always have to view things as small leaps of progress. You still did great.  Sometimes those intermediate results help keep the motivation going.

I have an indoor triathlon today too.  I should be leaving in around an hour.  My goal of 1 hour total time is well within my reach considering I hit 1 hour exactly last race and I've been swimming like crazy.

Well.....I DID IT!!!!  I was under 1 hour yesterday in the Indoor Triathlon!!!  That was the goal I set for myself when I started these back in November.

Swim time was AWESOME!!!!  1 min. faster than I have ever been.  Time in the pool this month is SERIOUSLY paying off.

Bike time was okay.  I had a crappy bike in the way it was logging the distance.  Probably added a minute to my time.  The BIG issue is the transition from swim to bike.  I really need to work on this.  I wasted a ton of time.  Practice makes perfect.

Run was good.  I ran at a fast pace (for me at least), but I had to pull up in the middle because my hamstring kept trying to lock up.  I tweaked it the day before running with the jogging stroller and extremely energetic pitbull.  Laughing

All in all...I'm very happy with finally hitting my goal, however, I know there is still a bunch of room for improvement.  Better transition could knock off another minute or two.  Better bike could knock off another minute.  No hammy issues and I probably knock off another minute or so on the run.  I see 3 minutes right there that I could knock off.  Maybe a 56:00 or 57:00 could be in my future....who knows.  I'm going to stick with my plan of focusing on my swim this month though.  My wife is in the last month of her prep for her first Half Marathon so I do get an opportunity to go run with her every now and then.  She's way faster than me and it always pushes me to work hard.

2013-03-11 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4654643

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Devilsdlg - 2013-03-11 8:46 AM
Devilsdlg - 2013-03-10 1:30 PM

Well.....I DID IT!!!!  I was under 1 hour yesterday in the Indoor Triathlon!!!  That was the goal I set for myself when I started these back in November.

Swim time was AWESOME!!!!  1 min. faster than I have ever been.  Time in the pool this month is SERIOUSLY paying off.

Bike time was okay.  I had a crappy bike in the way it was logging the distance.  Probably added a minute to my time.  The BIG issue is the transition from swim to bike.  I really need to work on this.  I wasted a ton of time.  Practice makes perfect.

Run was good.  I ran at a fast pace (for me at least), but I had to pull up in the middle because my hamstring kept trying to lock up.  I tweaked it the day before running with the jogging stroller and extremely energetic pitbull.  Laughing

All in all...I'm very happy with finally hitting my goal, however, I know there is still a bunch of room for improvement.  Better transition could knock off another minute or two.  Better bike could knock off another minute.  No hammy issues and I probably knock off another minute or so on the run.  I see 3 minutes right there that I could knock off.  Maybe a 56:00 or 57:00 could be in my future....who knows.  I'm going to stick with my plan of focusing on my swim this month though.  My wife is in the last month of her prep for her first Half Marathon so I do get an opportunity to go run with her every now and then.  She's way faster than me and it always pushes me to work hard.

Congrats!  Way to go! and I think you proved the old adage "if you want to swim faster, swim more" And you are right, I think alot of people forget to practice transitions and leave some time on the table! Great job! I do see a sub 57 in your future!

2013-03-11 10:29 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Great job racers!!!!!! I long to get back in a race! May 18th will be my first race of the year, then a sprint or 2, hopefully an OLY, and possibly a second 70.3 in late season. I think that training for a second long course is going to be tough (mentally, physcially, and family....LOL).

Here are my actuals through the first 11 days of the challenge..... (goal in parenthesis)

Bike: 87 Mi (700 mi)

Run: 9.32 Mi (85 mi)

Swim: 4200m (22,000m)

2013-03-11 2:18 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Lesson learned:

Saturday I went out for a good solid 8+mile run and felt great. Stayed up late to wait for son to get home (11:30 PM) Sunday morning and Daylight Savings comes, so when we get up for church, it is extremely early (since I stayed up late) anyways, I think I will nap this afternoon, then I will get my ride in after church tonight (since it rained all afternoon, what better time to nap then when it is raining right?) So I start my ride at around 9:20 PM and finish around 11:30 PM. I go to bed around 12:15 AM and plan on getting up to do my 5 mile run at 6 AM. well long story short, is I got up at 6:30 and stumbled to get dressed and tried to run, but i felt so drained and like I had nothing in the tank, so I just did some walking then headed home and made myself breakfast!

poor planning on my part for this morning!

2013-03-12 12:20 AM
in reply to: #4655372

User image

Denton, TX
jford2309 - 2013-03-11 2:18 PM

Lesson learned:

Saturday I went out for a good solid 8+mile run and felt great. Stayed up late to wait for son to get home (11:30 PM) Sunday morning and Daylight Savings comes, so when we get up for church, it is extremely early (since I stayed up late) anyways, I think I will nap this afternoon, then I will get my ride in after church tonight (since it rained all afternoon, what better time to nap then when it is raining right?) So I start my ride at around 9:20 PM and finish around 11:30 PM. I go to bed around 12:15 AM and plan on getting up to do my 5 mile run at 6 AM. well long story short, is I got up at 6:30 and stumbled to get dressed and tried to run, but i felt so drained and like I had nothing in the tank, so I just did some walking then headed home and made myself breakfast!

Hey, not sure this helps, but one of the mentors (I think the smart guy from TN ) told me about 3 wks ago that rest was really important.Cool   

Seriously, your point is well taken.  We all cut rest short here and there.   I have made a much more concerted effort on my rest plan (and it is a plan). 

The biggest thing that has helped me recently are drills, paddles and pull buoy.  That has really helped me extend my swimming volume (I am a mental midget in the pool).  

Big week this week:  a little rest and my first tri on Sunday!!!  So looking forward to racing.  Look for me on ESPN Sunday night (ESPN Ocho 'The 8').  There may be coverage I am thinking....well, maybe not.  I will probably have to share with you online.    

2013-03-12 3:13 PM
in reply to: #4656089

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Todd13 - 2013-03-12 12:20 AM
jford2309 - 2013-03-11 2:18 PM

Lesson learned:

Hey, not sure this helps, but one of the mentors (I think the smart guy from TN ) told me about 3 wks ago that rest was really important.Cool   

Seriously, your point is well taken.  We all cut rest short here and there.   I have made a much more concerted effort on my rest plan (and it is a plan). 

The biggest thing that has helped me recently are drills, paddles and pull buoy.  That has really helped me extend my swimming volume (I am a mental midget in the pool).  

Big week this week:  a little rest and my first tri on Sunday!!!  So looking forward to racing.  Look for me on ESPN Sunday night (ESPN Ocho 'The 8').  There may be coverage I am thinking....well, maybe not.  I will probably have to share with you online.    

Compared to that guy in TX, the TN is brilliant!  (thanks)

I have a half marathon this Sunday and I am not as prepared as I wished I was. My plan has been traing for the 10K run after a triathlon (A race) not 13.1 miles, so we will see how it goes!

2013-03-12 10:55 PM
in reply to: #4657059

User image

Denton, TX

Bad News:  I know many of you recall me posting about my suspicion that the local gym's 'dreadmill' was off (at least the countdown timer).  For those of you that keep asking me privately what did I learn, it was only off by 2 seconds over 20 minutes.  I know, BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.  I know, we were hoping for some big gains here.  I was prepared to go through all my runs and adjust by adding some serious miles back in!  Oh well  Foot in mouth

James - good luck on half.  You will be fine - no trails to twist ankles on! 

Who else has 'tests' this weekend?  

Also, if we do a sprint tri, do we have to workout that afternoon since the sprint doesn't really provide volume work?  Just wondering what all you veterans do.  I am inclined to warm up, put on some dry clothes and find some french toast somewhere!

Feeling great about this 'rest week'.  I needed it.  Headed on a university trip with my daughter tomorrow.  Will run, but will miss some trng.  Back Fri night or Sat morning.  Just in time to get my packet for Sunday's race.

2013-03-13 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH

T-10 days until my first race of the season (HITS Ocala, FL - Olympic).  Questions for the group: 1- Do you wear a wetsuit if water temps are around 60-65?  2-If wearing a wetsuit, do you go full sleeve or sleveless?  I have done some open water swimming (last fall) in my sleveless wetsuit.  I purchased my full suit in December.  I have not raced in either.  Since the Olympic distance has been my longest triathlon so far, I didn't think I needed it.  I will definitely be wearing a wetsuit for my HIM on 5/5.  Do I wear the full suit and consider it practice for the HIM?  Any suggestions on quick removal of a wetsuit. 

Challenge update - (actual / goal)
Swim = 7019.1 / 29,150
Bike = 43.43 / 37.50
Run = 33.39 / 122.20
I have fallen a little behind with time off around my daughter's wedding but still plan to hit my goal.  I sure hope I don't have to take the last week of the month off and live at the gym to hit my goal.  Laughing

2013-03-13 9:26 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Todd - Don't listen to JFord....we all know that TX is WAY better, smarter, better looking, bigger, faster, stronger than TN.

Regarding the sprint and workout after. I never do. If I do a race, I factor that into the training plan and just use it as a race day. Since it's a sprint, you won't need much recovery time. Maybe to a swim the next day, then pick back up on day two. Don't over do it (or over think it). In a race, you tax your muscles unlike a normal trianing day. Race and rest, then recover, then back on the plan.

MKen - If it's wetsuit legal....DO IT! Personally, IMO, I'd swim in the wetsuit you're planning on wearing for the HIM.

Regarding the "stripping" (LOL).....what works for me is skipping the wet suit strippers at swim exit. It gets crowded and packed....and sometimes they're volunteers that really don't know what they're doing. When I exit the water, I unzip (or have a fellow athlete grab my cord) and pull arms out and pull down top part to my waist (all while walking/running toward T1). When I hit my bike, pull the part around your waist as far down as you can get it and start stepping on the suit and pulling up with the other foot. It should come off pretty easy. Use body glide around the ankles and calfs when you're putting the suit on so it comes off a little easier.

See....TEXAS advice.....BOOM....on point!

2013-03-13 1:43 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

TX is way to close to looking like Taxes and nobody got time for that!

Sprint races- Yes I count them in my training as my mileage for that day. I then fill out a race report just in case I do that same race the next year, this way I have my notes to look at.

Wetsuits- Yes, if it is wetsuit legal, I am wearing it. You can pick up a lot of speed! I prefer a sleeveless suit personally. the full sleeves always tend to stress my shoulders and I don't like that. I will agree with Brad on the easiest way to remove your suit, not sure if there is another way. Some people argue that the time you gain on the swim in a suit is negated by the time you lose trying to get out of the suit, but I do not believe that.

I would urge you to swim in either suit prior to your race, even if it is one time at the pool, just to re-familiarize yourself!

2013-03-14 7:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH

I haven't ever taken my wetsuit to the pool.  I thought they weren't supposed to go in chlorine.

I plan to take both my wetsuits and hopefully get a practice swim in the lake the day before.

Edited by mkennedy0525 2013-03-14 7:48 AM
2013-03-14 7:51 AM
in reply to: #4659224

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
mkennedy0525 - 2013-03-14 7:48 AM

I haven't ever taken my wetsuit to the pool.  I thought they weren't supposed to go in chlorine.

I plan to take both my wetsuits and hopefully get a practice swim in the lake the day before.

Correct....don't take them into the pool. Probably would be okay for a swim (and a good rince after) but prolly best to not do it.

Practice in both then decide on which one. Personally, like JFord, would go sleeveless. I hate the constriction on the shoulders. I actually use a sleeveless shorty....becuase I hate having it all the way to the ankles too (lol).

2013-03-14 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4659228

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
bradleyd3 - 2013-03-14 8:51 AM Personally, like JFord, would go sleeveless. I hate the constriction on the shoulders. I actually use a sleeveless shorty....becuase I hate having it all the way to the ankles too (lol).
Agreed, I wish I would have gone sleeveless.  My arms get fatigued early with my wetsuit.
2013-03-14 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4659224

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
mkennedy0525 - 2013-03-14 7:48 AM

you are right in that you shouldn't always swim in chlorine, but one swim will not hurt it especially if you rinse with water afterwards. I have swam in mine in the pool once for about 250 yards so I could get a feel for it, nothing more though

2013-03-14 3:17 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

What's everyone got on tap as a workout tonight and into the weekend?

I have:

Tonight - 3 hour trainer ride
Tomorrow - 1900m swim (prolly do AM)
Saturday - 6 - 8 mile run then tailgating/St. Paddy's parade on Greenville Ave (HUGE parade in Dallas)
Sunday - 60 mile ride (or 3:30 on the trainer depending on when weather and timing)

2013-03-14 4:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
tonight, 1 hour run with my wife- we have only half jokingly referred to these runs as "date night"

Friday - glorious sloth day, day off from training

Sat - a 3 hour ride , I am going to ride the course for my HIM coming up in April, and then a 30 run to finish up a brick

Sun - My first open water swim of the year, hoping to do 1000 yds, but will be happy to just get in and splash around and get the feel of a wetsuit again

2013-03-14 4:33 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Friday is a normal rest day, but I am going to do a 1000 yd time trial, Sat will rest and Sunday will be my half marathon, and maybe that night get in a leisurely trainer ride while watching Amazing Race or something, depends on how I feel after my 13.1
2013-03-14 8:00 PM

User image

New user

I got in a nice 22 mile ride tonight.  Friday is rest day, however taking the kids to Disney on Ice will be far from rest.  Sat. Will be a 30 min max HR run to get that lined out.  Sunday should be another Bike day.  Then I start spring break so who knows what exercises that will bring!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 27