BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-01-14 7:00 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
10/31--55min on trainer. Of course, trade off is that I totally burned dinner in the oven because I didn't want to get off to check on it. Plan B...scrape off the burnt stuff and eat it anyway. I'm committed to eating in all this week, so I'm reliving the days when I couldn't cook. Just checked the fridge and the only thing in it beer-wise is Dragon's Milk, which I don't like. Guess I'll have to reward myself with a nice bourbon. Maybe I'll have two, one as a reward for the workout and one to lament the sale of Jim Beam and Makers Mark to an international company. Sad day in bourbon.

2014-01-14 7:32 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

10/31--55min on trainer. Of course, trade off is that I totally burned dinner in the oven because I didn't want to get off to check on it. Plan B...scrape off the burnt stuff and eat it anyway. I'm committed to eating in all this week, so I'm reliving the days when I couldn't cook. Just checked the fridge and the only thing in it beer-wise is Dragon's Milk, which I don't like. Guess I'll have to reward myself with a nice bourbon. Maybe I'll have two, one as a reward for the workout and one to lament the sale of Jim Beam and Makers Mark to an international company. Sad day in bourbon.

Wow - I just checked that out on the internet. Suntory - a Japanese Whiskey company that is actually pretty good bought them... Hard to believe...

Love the fact that you burned dinner because you refused to pause your workout. That's awesome! When you pour yourself your bourbon - will you have it over ice or will you have it neat?
2014-01-14 7:37 PM

User image

Expert
I built up the topic of the week and then totally spaced it.... That's almost a Coors Light penalty!

This weeks topic: Foam Rolling. Does it get any better? Specially Kevin wanted to know: How many times is adequete to roll calfs per day?  How long each time? He's currently rolling about 3-4 times a day for 2-3 minutes per calf with a rolling pin.  They're sorer than all get out.

Let make sure we touch of Kevin's question - but since it's the topic of the week - feel free to chime in about anything having to do with the Satanic object better known as the Foam Roller.

2014-01-14 7:46 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17

Wow - I just checked that out on the internet. Suntory - a Japanese Whiskey company that is actually pretty good bought them... Hard to believe...

Love the fact that you burned dinner because you refused to pause your workout. That's awesome! When you pour yourself your bourbon - will you have it over ice or will you have it neat?

I like it both ways, but mostly on the rocks. I usually only go neat in the deep of winter if I've been outside for a while and need a warm up.
2014-01-14 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

I built up the topic of the week and then totally spaced it.... That's almost a Coors Light penalty!

This weeks topic: Foam Rolling. Does it get any better? Specially Kevin wanted to know: How many times is adequete to roll calfs per day?  How long each time? He's currently rolling about 3-4 times a day for 2-3 minutes per calf with a rolling pin.  They're sorer than all get out.

Let make sure we touch of Kevin's question - but since it's the topic of the week - feel free to chime in about anything having to do with the Satanic object better known as the Foam Roller.

This touches on the how many times and how long part of it...

I don't feel all this love for foam rolling. I tried to do it on my ITB and made it 100x worse. I continued for a full week 2-3x a day and nothing, nada, zip! It felt good pain when doing it and for about 10 minutes after but that was it. I'm doing it just like the PT showed me. Do I need to do it more? Less? Is it just not for my body? All that comes to mind is Mr. Mom when he takes the kids to school for the first time...."Hey mister you're doing it wrong"

Am I?

I'm clueless when it comes to this silly tool
2014-01-14 9:38 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Here's a random question:

I have ~$1,200 in airfare credit with Southwest (long story - don't ask) and a week of vacation to burn by the end of this month. Other than that, I don't have a ton of money to burn, and I don't want to be tempted to over-eat or interfere with my training. Where should I go?

I would be tempted to head to the Caribbean or Mexico, but my wife isn't comfortable in a bathing suit in those conditions.

2014-01-14 10:17 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

I have ~$1,200 in airfare credit with Southwest (long story - don't ask) and a week of vacation to burn by the end of this month. Other than that, I don't have a ton of money to burn, and I don't want to be tempted to over-eat or interfere with my training. Where should I go?

I would be tempted to head to the Caribbean or Mexico, but my wife isn't comfortable in a bathing suit in those conditions.

Disneyland! it's the happiest place on earth....lol but I'm Canadian so anytime I can get to the coast/warmth I'm happy. I love San DIego too....Lots of places to train there.
2014-01-14 10:22 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Sorry I've been MIA .....Oh man this weekend was busy....I'm at 10 workouts for the month so I'm sure i'll hit the 20 goal......to top it off my left rib/shoulder is hurting again....

anyone have problems with dislocated ribs out there?

it's my top 2 ribs, they are sore to the touch closest to the middle of my chest. the pain radiates up to my neck / top of my shoulder / trap area and it sore to put any weight on especially in the pull motion when swimming. I went to physio before xmas and it had gotten better over the holidays but acting up again. She thinks it was the cartilage connecting the ribs in the middle. I have some exercises to do and go to bed with the heating pad on it as ribs like heat I guess. I know they take a long time to heal but any other suggestions out there? other then some good painkillers/ anti-inflammitories?
2014-01-14 10:25 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta

I just foam roll after a bike/run workout and it seems to be suffice for me.....I've never tried a rolling pin but thinking that could be a lot more pressure then needed? I have a med soft foam roller....
2014-01-14 11:54 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
12/31 with a short but very intense 35:00 ride on the trainer.

I think I won't go with coors light but a warm keystone light as punishment!
2014-01-15 7:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon Here's a random question: I have ~$1,200 in airfare credit with Southwest (long story - don't ask) and a week of vacation to burn by the end of this month. Other than that, I don't have a ton of money to burn, and I don't want to be tempted to over-eat or interfere with my training. Where should I go? I would be tempted to head to the Caribbean or Mexico, but my wife isn't comfortable in a bathing suit in those conditions.

Phoenix...great for biking. 

2014-01-15 8:33 AM
in reply to: #4915725

User image

Looks like Coors penalty for me. Planned to get up at 5 to get a swim and run before working on my day off but was called at 2100 and informed that my hours changed to 0600. Won't get done till 1500 when I pick up my daughter for our date. Had to cancel either workout or daughter date.

I did get my pushups in for the challenge.
2014-01-15 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

My suggestion would be to head to the San Jose/San Fran area. It's warmer (hell - any place is warmer than IL right now) but it's not bathing suit weather. They eat well over there - and there is a ton of good eating you can do while watching your waistline. San Fran has the tourist attractions you would expect but an hour south of the city is Monteray, which is a beautiful sea side town with lots of places to spend a relaxed afternoon. The entire bay area is exercise friendly and a ton of hotels on the left coast have hotel deals that include bike rentals, which is great because the amount of nike trails out there will blow your mind.. Hell - you might even be able to get in a race. Plus - the beer on the left coast is perhaps the best on the planet in terms of the shear number of outstanding breweries - some that you can't get east of the mississippi. Where ever you go - enjoy yourself.
2014-01-15 9:22 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by b2b14

Looks like Coors penalty for me. Planned to get up at 5 to get a swim and run before working on my day off but was called at 2100 and informed that my hours changed to 0600. Won't get done till 1500 when I pick up my daughter for our date. Had to cancel either workout or daughter date.

Good call. Workouts will be there. Kids grow up.
2014-01-15 9:23 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
11/31. Trainer ride. Hills. UUGGHH. Glad my daughter woke up crying at the 30 minute mark. was already getting tired and wasn't looking forward to the last 15 minutes.
2014-01-15 9:29 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kevinbe

Originally posted by b2b14

X2. Coors Light (or Milwaukee's Best Light) penalties are waived when a workout is missed to spend time with family (especially for a father/daughter date). Training for tris means a lot of time away from family and when you have to choose between a workout and family - always make the same choice you did. You can easily make up a workout but it's much harder to fix a broken promise.

2014-01-15 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

x3. Make the penalty beer a PBR...Sorry Jeff, I couldn't resist.

Originally posted by kevinbe
Originally posted by b2b14 Looks like Coors penalty for me. Planned to get up at 5 to get a swim and run before working on my day off but was called at 2100 and informed that my hours changed to 0600. Won't get done till 1500 when I pick up my daughter for our date. Had to cancel either workout or daughter date. I did get my pushups in for the challenge.
X2. Coors Light (or Milwaukee's Best Light) penalties are waived when a workout is missed to spend time with family (especially for a father/daughter date). Training for tris means a lot of time away from family and when you have to choose between a workout and family - always make the same choice you did. You can easily make up a workout but it's much harder to fix a broken promise.

2014-01-15 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary

I have heard very good things about Japanese Whiskey. mmmmmmmmmm. Thoughts during a self imposed dry spell.
2014-01-15 11:19 AM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
It's been a month and I give up on running. I still see the PT on Friday but I'm starting to get a bit more than pissed. Darren I remember last year when you were going through that dark time with your injury and at the time couldn't fully appreciate where you were at. Well I do now. I lost 5 months last year to the right knee and now lord knows how long I will lose to the left one. I can't even do a run walk without being in pain. It's coming from my ITB location on the outside of the knee, Gerdy's Tubricle, and outside of my patellar tendon. Kinda a whole big mess in there. Not sure if it's a tight thing or muscle imbalance but what ever it is I'm sick of it. I can swim and cycle fine so I'll continue with that and screw running. Unless my PT has some super miracle news, which I don't see happening, I am tossing in the towel on a 1 hour sprint. I will spend '14 with my new found love of cycling. No impact and good for the body. If I can complete in a sprint in the second half to end of the season so be it and if not I'm fine with that as well but I'm not even concerned with my times. As it sits for now I'm not signing up for anything that involves running more than 10 feet.

As weird as this sounds I'm actually OK with this. I certainly won't lose any sleep over it. I know today was supposed to be a run/swim day but I'm going on my bike for a leisurely stroll to get some stress out before going to swim tonight. Peace out
2014-01-15 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
We've got a few Canucks in the BDAAS and this is why I'm moving there once y'all finish your winter in June...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NXeXbCUiFE
2014-01-15 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Burd

It's been a month and I give up on running. I still see the PT on Friday but I'm starting to get a bit more than pissed. Darren I remember last year when you were going through that dark time with your injury and at the time couldn't fully appreciate where you were at. Well I do now. I lost 5 months last year to the right knee and now lord knows how long I will lose to the left one. I can't even do a run walk without being in pain. It's coming from my ITB location on the outside of the knee, Gerdy's Tubricle, and outside of my patellar tendon. Kinda a whole big mess in there. Not sure if it's a tight thing or muscle imbalance but what ever it is I'm sick of it. I can swim and cycle fine so I'll continue with that and screw running. Unless my PT has some super miracle news, which I don't see happening, I am tossing in the towel on a 1 hour sprint. I will spend '14 with my new found love of cycling. No impact and good for the body. If I can complete in a sprint in the second half to end of the season so be it and if not I'm fine with that as well but I'm not even concerned with my times. As it sits for now I'm not signing up for anything that involves running more than 10 feet.

As weird as this sounds I'm actually OK with this. I certainly won't lose any sleep over it. I know today was supposed to be a run/swim day but I'm going on my bike for a leisurely stroll to get some stress out before going to swim tonight. Peace out

Alex - I so sympathize with your plight and frustration. It totally blows to have come so far and put so much time in only to have your #&@$''ing knee not do it's part! I wish I had the words or the solution to take away your frustration but if I did I would be so rich I would make Bill Gates look poor. There are two things that are good. One is that the PT might be able to help you and I will pray that he does. And the second thing is that shiny bike you have in your garage. There is a lot of riding to do this year including finishing your first century, which you will crush! Plus, I'm sure there are plenty of aqua bike activities down there in balmy FLA. You could establish the Aquabike chapter of the BDAAS... who knows, after I finish the IM, I may be joining you.

2014-01-15 12:53 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Alex--sorry to hear about your knee(s), but it sounds like you have a good attitude about it.

11/31--2200yds in the pool with Shelia T's 1-2 workout. Again, she nearly killed me. There were a lot of drills in this workout, focusing mostly on form. I did a ton of one arm with kickboard drills, which is like a one arm drill, but you keep the non moving arm on a kickboard in front of you (palm flat on middle of the board). First one was easy--next dozen were killer. I also did my full ST workout. The gym is already starting to thin out, so no waiting around for machines today.

RE: Rollers
I don't roll. I bought a foam roller last year and used it a few times. It didn't do much for me, and since I don't have a lot of aches and pains (yet!), I stopped doing it. I don't really get what it is supposed to do for you anyway, but would happily listen if someone wants to explain it (like you would to a first grader).

Hope everyone is having a great day!
2014-01-15 2:08 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
You all want a quick laugh and to smile when it gets tough?

See my earlier post about the run trouble then continue to read.

So I go for a nice stroll on the bike after feeling down about the run problem and what happens? A flat tire. As I'm changing it my nose starts to bleed. Needless to say I packed it up and rode home and didn't finish my ride.

I still have swim tonight to save my day. What could possible go wrong there? Keep on keeping on BDAAS!
2014-01-15 3:15 PM

User image

New user
Seattle

So I go for a nice stroll on the bike after feeling down about the run problem and what happens? A flat tire. As I'm changing it my nose starts to bleed. Needless to say I packed it up and rode home and didn't finish my ride.

I still have swim tonight to save my day. What could possible go wrong there? Keep on keeping on BDAAS!

Well, I did laugh AND smile, though I am certainly sorry about your misfortune. That swim tonight will feel extra good. I managed to sneak in 15 minutes this morning before I had to show up for work and I am so glad I did. Go get 'em!
2014-01-15 3:16 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

So I go for a nice stroll on the bike after feeling down about the run problem and what happens? A flat tire. As I'm changing it my nose starts to bleed. Needless to say I packed it up and rode home and didn't finish my ride. I still have swim tonight to save my day. What could possible go wrong there? Keep on keeping on BDAAS!

I won't speculate what could go wrong with a swim, instead say you deserve a beer after a day like today!

Due to a lunch meeting I was only ably to get 500m in the pool today, not sure if that deserves a beer... I did get my copy of "Swim Speed Secrets" and the workout cards. I plan on reading the book over the weekend and starting the first workout on Monday.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.