Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 220

2010-07-26 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3004547

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - CLOSED!
For my marathon training, I used a combination of water/gatorade/shot blocks.  I can't stomach the gu.  Everybody is different though.  Water alone is not enough for me in this heat/humidity.  

kcarroll - 2010-07-26 10:07 AM Question on training nutrition for the group.  I usually just train with water and gu (1per hour out.) Shot blocks etc don't work for me as I have permanent retainers on the back of the pearly whites and gummy stuff is a no no.  I added Enduralytes this past weekend because of the heat and thought they helped. I'm 14 weeks from my marathon.  Soon my long runs are going to exceed anything I've done previously (HM) and I've been thinking that carrying an energy drink might be in order. What do you do for workouts longer than a couple hours?

2010-07-26 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3004547

User image

Master
New York, NY
I've been using water, gatorade or Nuun, and gels or chomps.  I can sometimes manage half a banana during a long run, but solid food generally doesn't work for me. 

kcarroll - 2010-07-26 11:07 AM Question on training nutrition for the group.  I usually just train with water and gu (1per hour out.) Shot blocks etc don't work for me as I have permanent retainers on the back of the pearly whites and gummy stuff is a no no.  I added Enduralytes this past weekend because of the heat and thought they helped. I'm 14 weeks from my marathon.  Soon my long runs are going to exceed anything I've done previously (HM) and I've been thinking that carrying an energy drink might be in order. What do you do for workouts longer than a couple hours?
2010-07-26 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2558074

User image

Payson, AZ
Wow, it is getting nasty out on the tri forum.  I'm coming back for safety in the group.  Although the group is mostly like working or something strange.  Weirdness
2010-07-26 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3004576

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Will they let you transfer to next years race?

bzgl40 - 2010-07-26 10:19 AM What's cool is that they worked with another company up there that hosts OWS's and they will pay the entry for an OWS in one of two events.  One is before the HIM (um, du), and the other is after.  So these guys are trying to make up for something that is so not in their control.  They are also allowing you to use 50% of the payment towards next years race instead.  I'll do this years, and in reality it will be harder then a HIM for me with that whole run thing first and the rest remaining the same.  I am not sure I can get to the OWS though as that is 3 hours away from me.  I'm going to try though.

evondo - 2010-07-26 7:56 AM You are correct, I'm a triathlete not a duathlete I especially feel for anyone who was trying to do their first HIM

I KENOTT swim - 2010-07-23 3:33 PM Sorry about the damn dam Kim!  My heart would not be broken without the swim - EvD would probably bail completely.

Have a great weekend everyone - anyone racing?
2010-07-26 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3004860

User image

Payson, AZ
Basically a 50% discount is what they are offering if you want to defer to next year.  But...next year is when I am toying with doing IMAZ so that would be less a month apart and not an option for me.  

Newtons1st - 2010-07-26 9:59 AM Will they let you transfer to next years race?

bzgl40 - 2010-07-26 10:19 AM What's cool is that they worked with another company up there that hosts OWS's and they will pay the entry for an OWS in one of two events.  One is before the HIM (um, du), and the other is after.  So these guys are trying to make up for something that is so not in their control.  They are also allowing you to use 50% of the payment towards next years race instead.  I'll do this years, and in reality it will be harder then a HIM for me with that whole run thing first and the rest remaining the same.  I am not sure I can get to the OWS though as that is 3 hours away from me.  I'm going to try though.

evondo - 2010-07-26 7:56 AM You are correct, I'm a triathlete not a duathlete I especially feel for anyone who was trying to do their first HIM

I KENOTT swim - 2010-07-23 3:33 PM Sorry about the damn dam Kim!  My heart would not be broken without the swim - EvD would probably bail completely.

Have a great weekend everyone - anyone racing?
2010-07-26 1:59 PM

User image

Pro
NJ

I luv, luv, luv fresh tomatoes.  Jersey grows some good ones. Here is one of my favorite recipes:

Tomato and Spinach Pie

1 Pie Crust
4 large tomatoes, sliced
2 TBSP Pesto
2 Cups shredded mozzarella
1/2 Cup Light Mayo
1/2 Cup grated parmesan
1 bag spinach, cooked and drained

Bake pie crust and allow to cool completely.  I usually do it the day before I make the pie.
Combine mayo and pesto.  Sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella on the crust, layer tomatoes, pesto mix, and spinach on top a couple times and spread rest of cheese on top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 30 mins until brown.  Is great served warm, at room temp, and eaten cold for breakfast.  Cool 

2010-07-26 4:27 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Anyone here eat plain rice cakes?  If so what do you put on them to dress them up and make them not so dry and um, tasty?

As a side note, the McDonald smoothies are not so bad.  A small is only 210 calories (didn't even bother checking how much of that was sugar) and sure did hit the spot after my run today. 
2010-07-26 10:45 PM

Extreme Veteran
Speaking of lottery....how many Texas peeps are hoping to get lucky tomorrow? I'm still debating between 13.1 or 26.2.  A friend of ours wants to do 13.1 and I think that would be fun to have someone to run it with. But I also know I can already do 13.1, even though that wasn't stand alone. Then again, maybe I should just worry about getting better at that distance and the run in general before I go taking on the challenge of a full. So many factors to consider!

Tried out a different swim facility this evening. It's also about 40 minutes away, just in a different direction than we travel now...but logistically I think this is going to be a better option in the fall once school starts. It's funny, though, how some pools just feel different. This pool, by far, just feels the slowest of the 4 pools I have spent time in this summer.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in for a bit. Hope everyone is having great training sessions and trying to survive the heat and humidity!
2010-07-26 10:50 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Good to see you visiting the MG Tif!
IF I go lottery it will be the 13.1.  Maybe I should talk to my coach.....

So MG.... here is something to toss out there - Nik, Tif and I talked about doing a relay. Not sure when yet, we'll have to compare calendars but thats not nearly as important as what our team name will be, obviously, that is the most important part of the whole relay thing.  Team name, pick a date then train.  Yep, I'm pretty sure that's the standard protocol, right?

So start tossing out the suggestions......
2010-07-27 6:57 AM
in reply to: #3006409

User image

Payson, AZ
roadrhino - 2010-07-26 8:45 PM Speaking of lottery....how many Texas peeps are hoping to get lucky tomorrow? I'm still debating between 13.1 or 26.2.  A friend of ours wants to do 13.1 and I think that would be fun to have someone to run it with. But I also know I can already do 13.1, even though that wasn't stand alone. Then again, maybe I should just worry about getting better at that distance and the run in general before I go taking on the challenge of a full. So many factors to consider!

Not trying to influence you one way or another but a 13.1 as a stand alone is a way different beast then at the end of a HIM.  It's a fun challenge IMO.  That being said, I did my two marathon's having never done a half.  Of all the running distances the half is my favoriate, especially when they throw a mountain in there and make it a trail run.  But now I'm just dreaming...
2010-07-27 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3005716

User image

Pro
NJ
bzgl40 - 2010-07-26 5:27 PM Anyone here eat plain rice cakes?  If so what do you put on them to dress them up and make them not so dry and um, tasty?

As a side note, the McDonald smoothies are not so bad.  A small is only 210 calories (didn't even bother checking how much of that was sugar) and sure did hit the spot after my run today. 

Haven't had a McD smoothie.  I have to stay away from the golden arches.  Bad french fry habit.  I do keep rice cakes in the pantry.  I top them with the usual pb&h.  I also like a slice of cheddar cheese and some salsa or a slice of tomato and some crumbled feta.  Just nuke em til the cheese is all nice and melted.  My one odd combo is hummus and sliced dill pickles (I also make it as a sammy on sprouted bread).  Actually quite tasty. 

2010-07-27 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3006416

User image

Pro
NJ
KeriKadi - 2010-07-26 11:50 PM Good to see you visiting the MG Tif!

So MG.... here is something to toss out there - Nik, Tif and I talked about doing a relay. Not sure when yet, we'll have to compare calendars but thats not nearly as important as what our team name will be, obviously, that is the most important part of the whole relay thing.  Team name, pick a date then train.  Yep, I'm pretty sure that's the standard protocol, right?

Sounds like a fabulous idea and you are definitely taking the right approach.  I'm not coming up with anything namewise this morning, but Nicole will undoubtedly have some ideas. 
2010-07-27 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
I've decided I am out this year.  Three years of doing either the half or full so I decided it's time to focus on something else.  (Maybe even suck it up and bike over the winter??)  And the fact that I am kinda burned out on the long distance stuff.  BSLT half just about killed me.

As to which distance to race - it really depends on your goals.  Running with someone in the race is quite fun and I am certain your friend would greatly appreciate it.  (Running part of the Houston half with fattyfatfat certainly was entertaining.)    The half and full are different experiences.  I personal like the half better.  Not as much wear and tear on my body.  Plus, the marathon just killed any type of "speed" I once had.  BUT - do what YOU want to do  

roadrhino - 2010-07-26 10:45 PM Speaking of lottery....how many Texas peeps are hoping to get lucky tomorrow? I'm still debating between 13.1 or 26.2.  A friend of ours wants to do 13.1 and I think that would be fun to have someone to run it with. But I also know I can already do 13.1, even though that wasn't stand alone. Then again, maybe I should just worry about getting better at that distance and the run in general before I go taking on the challenge of a full. So many factors to consider!

Tried out a different swim facility this evening. It's also about 40 minutes away, just in a different direction than we travel now...but logistically I think this is going to be a better option in the fall once school starts. It's funny, though, how some pools just feel different. This pool, by far, just feels the slowest of the 4 pools I have spent time in this summer.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in for a bit. Hope everyone is having great training sessions and trying to survive the heat and humidity!
2010-07-27 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3006416

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Relays are fun!  You can go all out without worrying about the other disciplines.  Like Kim said - I will leave the team names to Nicole.  *No pressure Nicole*

KeriKadi - 2010-07-26 10:50 PM Good to see you visiting the MG Tif!

2010-07-27 12:19 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
So, should I put $79 towards fixing my Garmin Forerunner 305 or take that money and put it towards the 310x?  In the meantime I am using Tina's 305 so I am not without.   
2010-07-27 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3007595

User image

Master
Houston
I personally would fix the 305, 310 benefits (can be worn in swim) isn't worth the extra $250 to me.

bzgl40 - 2010-07-27 12:19 PM So, should I put $79 towards fixing my Garmin Forerunner 305 or take that money and put it towards the 310x?  In the meantime I am using Tina's 305 so I am not without.   

2010-07-27 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3007713

User image

Payson, AZ
There is also the double battery life as well though, which would be nice for an IM.  Course, if I fix the thing I could just go with two, mine on the bike and Tina's on the run, or just my watch on the run as I can do HR with the Timex.  Then there is the coolness factor. 

evondo - 2010-07-27 10:57 AM I personally would fix the 305, 310 benefits (can be worn in swim) isn't worth the extra $250 to me.

bzgl40 - 2010-07-27 12:19 PM So, should I put $79 towards fixing my Garmin Forerunner 305 or take that money and put it towards the 310x?  In the meantime I am using Tina's 305 so I am not without.   
2010-07-27 1:11 PM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Hey gang!

Back at work today and just getting caught up on everything.  Can you believe I had 18 voicemails and over 200 emails that actually needed response?  And this was AFTER working a half day on Friday when I was supposed to be off.

Blech.  I'm going to have to get on the win the lottery life goals myself if I'm going to live to see 40.

I will throw around some ideas as it relates to team names... how naughty exactly am I allowed to be?

And Kim, I would upgrade.  I actually was talking to the guys at the running store a few days ago and they told me that if you don't need the heart rate strap on the new garmin it only runs $200.  Now that might be my cool girl super special discount, but it's worth it to ask. 
2010-07-27 2:24 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
I love it when Tina's home.  Fresh baked bread, fresh cookies just out of the oven, treats like Smoothies yesterday after my run.  I came home from biking this morning to find breakfast being cookied.  Yummy suppers.  Sadly this phase is short lived.  When she's home between field trips she tends to not work so this keeps her from getting bored.  But I'm loving it at the moment. 
2010-07-27 3:22 PM

User image

Master
New York, NY
One NYC peep hoping to get lucky....in the lottery for the half

roadrhino - 2010-07-26 11:45 PM Speaking of lottery....how many Texas peeps are hoping to get lucky tomorrow? I'm still debating between 13.1 or 26.2.  A friend of ours wants to do 13.1 and I think that would be fun to have someone to run it with. But I also know I can already do 13.1, even though that wasn't stand alone. Then again, maybe I should just worry about getting better at that distance and the run in general before I go taking on the challenge of a full. So many factors to consider!

2010-07-27 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3007770

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

*drool*

Man, I'm jealous.

Let her know if she's ever in Florida she can stay at my house rent free.  All she has to do is cook. 

Nicole83 - 2010-07-27 2:11 PM Hey gang!

Back at work today and just getting caught up on everything.  Can you believe I had 18 voicemails and over 200 emails that actually needed response?  And this was AFTER working a half day on Friday when I was supposed to be off.

Blech.  I'm going to have to get on the win the lottery life goals myself if I'm going to live to see 40.

I will throw around some ideas as it relates to team names... how naughty exactly am I allowed to be?

And Kim, I would upgrade.  I actually was talking to the guys at the running store a few days ago and they told me that if you don't need the heart rate strap on the new garmin it only runs $200.  Now that might be my cool girl super special discount, but it's worth it to ask. 

2010-07-27 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3008203

User image

Master
Houston
Sweet! I'm in the lottery for the 1/2 as well. Plan is to just train through it but it's good to have to keep me honest during the winter holidays

KelliD - 2010-07-27 3:22 PM One NYC peep hoping to get lucky....in the lottery for the half

roadrhino - 2010-07-26 11:45 PM Speaking of lottery....how many Texas peeps are hoping to get lucky tomorrow? I'm still debating between 13.1 or 26.2.  A friend of ours wants to do 13.1 and I think that would be fun to have someone to run it with. But I also know I can already do 13.1, even though that wasn't stand alone. Then again, maybe I should just worry about getting better at that distance and the run in general before I go taking on the challenge of a full. So many factors to consider!

2010-07-27 6:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
Well good luck to all the marathon/half marathon lottery folks. I'm in with Nik and another friend and hope our group is lucky enough to have the opportunity. Kelli...sure hope it works out for you, too!

I'm taking a little time off from training for a couple days at least. I spent the morning at the ER with chest pains that I've been having for about a week now. Fortunately, the diagnosis is anxiety...which I am no stranger to...so I consider this a good news result out of the ordeal, and I gladly accept it!
2010-07-28 7:55 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
So when do you guys find out about the lottery?  Keep us posted!

And happy hump day!
2010-07-28 10:55 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
So, now Garmin is offering me a discount on my fix it fee for the 305.  I can get it fixed for $40.  What is funny is I asked if I could get a discount on the 310xt.  That $40 might be too much too turn down. 

So, if the cookies are made with oatmeal and peanut butter it makes an ok recovery snack right? 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 220